SurvivingAntidepressants.org is temporarily closed to new registrations until 1 April ×

MaizeNblue81: Tapering Zoloft during severe acute Xanax WD

maizeNblue81

Is anyone there? I feel like I'm having a nervous breakdown!

2012: Zoloft and Xanax for the first few weeks for panics attacks 2013: switched over to Prozac and Ativan for a short period during the switch. 2015: got off Prozac: 2016 tried to reinstate after 7 months off symptoms came back didn't work so switched over to lexapro and after 6 1/2 weeks got off not able to tolerate. Xanax since may of 2016, then Detox October 2016 from .75mg and was put on resperdal and Zoloft but now just on Zoloft 100mg. Severe head pressure, DP/DR, confusion, intrusive thoughts main symptoms since coming out of the hospital. Losing hope 2 1/2 months off Xanax and now on 100mg Zoloft

Update on Zoloft started to taper on Feb, 4th 2017 using dry cut method at 87.5mg from 100 then Feb, 25th 2017 switched to liquid taper with dissolving 100mg tablets into 100ml of water then , measuring out to 87.5mg where i am at now. will be due for 2nd cut Sunday April, 2 2017 will update again at that time

• Replies 874
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• maizeNblue81

• ChessieCat

• JanCarol

• scallywag

Top Posters In This Topic

• Moderator Emeritus

Maize, your symptoms are 100% consistent with what a person experiences when a psych med is discontinued or its dosage changed too rapidly. Knowing that doesn't make the symptoms go away, but it can make the experience of them easier. Some of us have to remind ourselves, "It's just withdrawal" dozens of times each day.

Please remember that we're all dealing with the effects of tapering or rapid reductions and/or side adverse effects of these meds. Not everyone has the time and energy to respond to others' situations.

What local, in-person support do you have?

Have you looked at the journalling topic I linked?

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.
1997-1999 Effexor; 2002-2005 Effexor XR 37.5 mg linear taper, dropping same #beads/week with bad results

Cymbalta 60 mg 2012 - 2015; 2016: 20 mg to 7 mg exact doses and dates in this post; 2017: 6.3 mg to  0.0 mg  Aug. 12; details here

scallywag's Introduction
Online spreadsheet for dose taper calculations and nz11's THE WORKS spreadsheet

I'm sorry I'm just so scared and I feel all alone as I really don't have anyone but my mom and she really doesn't understand what's happening to me but then again I don't either.

My symptoms are horrific and the torment and torture never ends! The extreme pressure and physical pain in my head is unbearable and the psych symptoms makes me feel like I'm having a psychotic or nervous breakdown!

I'm 15 weeks out today off Xanax and I've been on Zoloft now 14 weeks and up to 100mg for 10 weeks and no sign of improvement of not worse than I was before.

I can't hardly get out of the bed in constant physical pain from all the pressure, burning, numbness, and pain in my head and the confusion, DP/DR, intrusive thoughts are all that I can handle and then some!

I feel like I will never recover and my old life and the old me is all but gone! All I can do is set and cry or rock back and for asking God to please help me it's so bad and I go back to the doctor tomorrow to get the 50mg tablets I need to start tapering off the Zoloft and I'm extremely worried about what the WD from that is gonna do as I'm already on edge!

I have no quality of life and I'm sick of watching everyone else go on with their lives while I'm stuck in this constant state of misery and torment 24/7 with no end in sight!

I'm trying to hold on hoping it will get a little better soon but hope is fading day by day!

Most people I've encountered or talked to seem to be doing ok or atleast show signs of marked I improvement between month 4-6 and I'm closing in fast on 4 months with none!

2012: Zoloft and Xanax for the first few weeks for panics attacks 2013: switched over to Prozac and Ativan for a short period during the switch. 2015: got off Prozac: 2016 tried to reinstate after 7 months off symptoms came back didn't work so switched over to lexapro and after 6 1/2 weeks got off not able to tolerate. Xanax since may of 2016, then Detox October 2016 from .75mg and was put on resperdal and Zoloft but now just on Zoloft 100mg. Severe head pressure, DP/DR, confusion, intrusive thoughts main symptoms since coming out of the hospital. Losing hope 2 1/2 months off Xanax and now on 100mg Zoloft

Update on Zoloft started to taper on Feb, 4th 2017 using dry cut method at 87.5mg from 100 then Feb, 25th 2017 switched to liquid taper with dissolving 100mg tablets into 100ml of water then , measuring out to 87.5mg where i am at now. will be due for 2nd cut Sunday April, 2 2017 will update again at that time

• Moderator Emeritus
Most people I've encountered or talked to seem to be doing ok or atleast show signs of marked I improvement between month 4-6 and I'm closing in fast on 4 months with none! 

Hi, Maize.

Listen, I was a member of benzo buddies for 18 months and from what I remember, people who did a cold turkey benzo withdrawal were suffering a LOT at the 4 month mark. That's not unusual. 

You also have the complication of being on Zoloft. 

So please don't think you are worse than others. 

If you can find ways of self soothing. Please read the links we have left here on your thread (JanCarol left a great one here). 

This does get better in time, but it's important to find things that you can do right now, even if it's just rocking back and forth and listening to calming music. It's important that you tell yourself positive things such as "I am healing" instead of the negative things.

Because it is true that you are healing, even though you're still very much in a painful state. It will get better. 

I've just been in constant misery and suffering for so long now and your right I do think the Zoloft was a bad idea and is complicating things very much so and I'm extremely worried about coming off this after more than 3 months and what that's gonna do to me!

I'm just tired so very tired of not having any quality of life at all! No hope no peace no promise to look forward too just constant torture everyday without end!

The person I used to be is gone and my life I used to know is gone. I just set here crying in agony and each day is as the last no change just more torture to look forward too from one day to the next and I'm losing hope!

This process since may of last year when I thought getting back on meds was what I needed to do has taking such a toll on my mind and body and I'm trying to hang on but I'm so lonely and tires and just want my mind, my health, and my life back!

I was saposed to go see the doctor today but I missed my appointment and I've been up over 24 hours again and it's all just too much!

• Moderator Emeritus

Maize, 

Yes, your current life is definitely different than it used to be. Mine is, too. But at some point, I hope you learn to tread water lightly instead of fighting and railing against something that you just can't fix right now. It's too exhausting to stay in that mode. You will wear yourself out with those types of thoughts.

What if I told you there's an easier way to go about this? An easier mind-stream, one where you won't need to use up so much of your energy?

There's a wonderful thread on acceptance that was started by a fellow benzo survivor:

Acceptance

Or, if reading is difficult, here's a brief video:

Withdrawal Dialogues - Acceptance - VIDEO

Everything you are going through now is a part of the process of withdrawal, but it's also a part of the process of recovery. 

I was saposed to go see the doctor today but I missed my appointment and I've been up over 24 hours again and it's all just too much!

Do you have enough Zoloft to last? If not, can your doctor call in the prescription to your pharmacy? 

Well I had to stay on him today but I finally got him to call some 50mg tablets in and I picked them up tonight and I started the tapering process on that but I don't know if I'm doing the right thing or if I'm about to be in a whole lot more trouble than I already am?

He gave me 45 quantity 50mg tablets with 1 refill and I don't think that's gonna be enough to do a while month if I try and get close to the 10% every two weeks like I've been told to try.

Tonight and it's the only thing I know to do if I'm even doing the right thing and this is why I wish I would have never taking it is to take 1 whole 50mg tablets and the other break into half so two 25mg tablets and take one of those and the other remaining half using my pill cutter cutting it into half and taking that but like tonight it's not 100% accurate cause one piece was a little bigger than the other but it's the best I can do. Is that gonna be ok?

I just hope I'm doing the right thing now with tapering off the Zoloft in the condition I'm already in and it doesn't make things 10 times worse!

I deal with horrible anxiety and panic attacks which is why I was out on these meds to begin with not to mention all the other horrific symptoms I'm currently having coming off the Xanax!

The pressure and numbness in my head, the confusion DP/DR horrible intrusive thoughts it's all more than I can bare now and I know you can have all that and more e except maybe the head pressure from the AD as well so I'm just scared and I don't know what I'm doing and I feel like I'm having a psychotic breakdown and don't know if I'll ever be the same after all this?

You will get better. I felt like what you described in many ways at the beginning of December, and I am much better now.  I am still a bit shaky, but am now generally functional. I am on 2 drugs, zyprexa, which I am tapering, and 200 mg zoloft.  I'm going to taper that after I get off the zyprexa.  this is just temporary what you are feeling now. Have faith, have hope, you will get better.  I did and you will too. 

200 Zoloft; 10 mg Zyprexa; 4 mg valium as of May 2021;  Valium taper: July 16: 3.5 valium; July 30: 3 mg (paused valium taper); Aug. 23: 2.5 mg
Zyprexa: July 26: 8.75 mg; Aug. 9: 7.5 mg; Aug. 30: 7.1 mg

-------
Dec 1, 2016. 10 mg zyprexa for 1.5 month. Started taper mid-Jan. 2017. Cut 1.25 mg every 2 weeks; smaller cuts 2.5 mg down. Stopped at .6 mg. May 7, 2017: zyprexa free. 
Zoloft: Dec1, 2016, 200 mg. Started taper: Jun12, 2017: 197.5 mg; Jun19,:195 mg; July 2:185mg; July 9,:180 mg; July16,: 175; July 23: 170; July 30: 165; Aug6: 160; Aug13: 155; Aug. 20: 150; Aug.27: 146 mg; Sept3: 145 mg; Sept10:143 mg; Sept17:140 mg....Nov5: 122 mg...Dec3:112.5 mg; Jan14, 2018: 95 mg...Jan28: 90 mg; Feb21:80 mg; Mar11: 75 mg; May2:70 mg; May15: 68 mg; May28: 65 mg; Jun9: 62 mg;Jun25: 60 mg:July22: 55 mg; Aug25: 45 mg. Aug28: 50 mg...Oct 28: 38 mg; Dec.4: 30 mg; Jan8,2019: 25mg; Feb6: 23.5 mg; Apr1:17.5mg; May1:1 mg; May 5: 18;  May 18:15mg; June 16:12.5mg; Sept 10:11 mg; Sept.16:10 mg; Oct. 1: 9mg; Nov. 27: 8mg; Dec.5: 7mg; Jan.1,2020, 6 mg; Feb1: 5 mg; May 1: 2.5 mg; Jn 1: 2 mg; Jy 1: 1.5 mg

I don't know I feel like I'm losing it! No sleep is killing me too. All this has just taking such a toll on my mind and body and my overall health has taking a major hit!

My brain is in such utter caious and misery 24/7 I don't know who I am anymore the old me is completely gone and I can't even recognize myself in the mirror at all!

All I can do is lay down or rock back and forth and cry and try and remember what my life was like before all of this but now it is all gone and I'm losing hope that I will ever recover and all I see is pain and more suffering in the days and months ahead!

I took my daughter to the doctor today and I don't even feel normal or like I belong in public anymore! I look at all the other people who are normal and living their lives going to work being functional and having fun and laughing and I realize I'll never have that again and my life is in utter caious and I don't know what I'm doing!

I've lost everything and their so much I've missed and am missing and so much I need to do with my girls quitting smoking and taking better care of myself but I do good to make it from one day to the next and it's all horrible!

I was driving back from that doctors office today and it got me again my life is over and I'll never be the same

I'm on the 5th day of dropping the Zoloft to as close to 10% as I can but even with the pill cutter I can't get every cut accurately so I don't know if that's a good thing or not but my symptoms are getting worse or have been really severe even more sonover the last few days although I'm not sure if it's not getting any sleep catching up with me either but I'm absolutely miserable and losing hope!

Everyone tells me it well get better but I'm almost 4 months off now and I'm not better at all if not worse than I was when I went into the hospital!

The numbness and pressure im my head is so unbearable all I do is set and cry or rock back and forth in constant torture and when I cry it just makes it worse and it's so bad that when I cry the pressure and numbness are so bad I can't even open my mouth and my head feels like it's about to explode!

The emotional symptoms are pretty bad as we still severe DP/DR confusion and horrible intrusive thoughts and honestly at this point I don't know if I'll ever be the same or if I will ever recover it's all just taking its toll and I'm losing hope more and more everyday!

I have no quality of life at all and this is wearing down to the point I don't know if I can keep this up?

I don't understand it's been 4 months and no improvement! Their are people who were on these drugs much longer and at higher doses than me that didn't have it this bad and weren't in acute or had the head pressure this long.

Have I made the absolute wrong choice by starting the taper on the Zoloft? Since I can't get this first but exactly at 87.5 everytime is that gonna effect things?

• Moderator Emeritus

I don't understand it's been 4 months and no improvement! Their are people who were on these drugs much longer and at higher doses than me that didn't have it this bad and weren't in acute or had the head pressure this long. 

Have I made the absolute wrong choice by starting the taper on the Zoloft? Since I can't get this first but exactly at 87.5 everytime is that gonna effect things?

You may want to use a scale to get a more accurate and consistent dose:

Using a digital scale

This is one of the more popular ones used for tapering. You can get it on Amazon and probably on Ebay, as well:

GEMINI-20 Portable MilliGram Scale, 20 by 0.001 G

This video will show you how to use it:

HOW TO WITHDRAWAL FROM BENZODIAZEPINES USING A GRAM SCALE - Video

Or you may want to consider a liquid taper:

Making a liquid from a tablet or capsules

This video demonstrates how to do a liquid taper:

Liquid taper - Video

Please re-read your thread, as we have discussed whether or not you should taper the Zoloft at this point. You are dealing with benzo withdrawal and also with having come off an antipsychotic, as well as having the side effects of your current drug. 

Taking a 10% reduction may help you determine if the Zoloft is causing more problems, but it takes at least 4 days for your nervous system to register a change. 

Please also re-read your thread for the self soothing techniques we've linked. This is going be a difficult journey, Maize. And your symptoms are not out of the norm of what many of us have been through. 4 months is actually early on in psychiatric drug withdrawal. 

But it does get better. 

Well I don't have the money to buy anything else to help me taper the Zoloft any other way cause I haven't been able to work in a long time and as far as tapering the Zoloft I'm on day 6 of that and at this point should I just go back up to the 100mg and wait it out for awhile and taper it later? I was under the assumption the Zoloft could be making it worse and I can't get the 10% completely accurate at this point so I don't know what to do?

Should I just stay on the Zoloft for a while? Cause I feel like no matter what I do I'm in a bad spot. I'm still not even out of acute WD from Xanax at 4 months which I don't understand cause I thought acute was 2-4 months and I'm at 4 months and no better!

I'm at Day 6 trying to drop the Zoloft a little and I feel major fatigue extreme confusion and the head pressure numbness in my head is unbearable all I can do is lay in the bed in constant suffering with no end

Ok I'm over a week into the small cut I made on the Zoloft and I really don't understand where I'm at or why their has been no improvement in my main symptoms mainly with the benzo WD symptoms and I'm losing hope!

I just don't understand I'm 17 weeks off Xanax and still having severe acute symptoms and I thought acute would only last 2-4 months and I'm over that and I just don't understand?

The head pressure and numbness and physical pain is still so bad I can't hardly function at all and I've even tried to walk a few times and the pressure is still so bad I can't even hardly make to the end of the driveway!

I still have all the psych symptoms confusion, DP/DR, intrusive thoughts it's all still very bad but the head pressure is the absolute worst symptom I have and keeps me from being able to do the other things I need to do like exercise quitting smoking and everything else it's all just taking such a toll on my my mind and body!

All that I've been through since last May with these drugs has done so much damage to my mind and my body! I have grey hairs now in my beard and I've lost more hair on my head my lips are stained because the only break I get from the misery is going outside to smoke and I can't work or take care of myself or my kids and it's miserable!

I'm 36 years old and I feel like my life is over!

• Moderator Emeritus

Maize - Medical professionals believe what the information told, or perhaps sold, by pharma manufacturers -- that symptoms are rare and mild and don't last for more than 2-4 months.

Your experience and that of thousands of other people, more likely hundreds of thousands, should lead doctors to re-examine this belief. A few do challenge the doctrine they've been spoon-fed by the manufacturers, most don't.

Sorry your symptoms continue to be difficult. They will ease up. I wish I could predict the timeline.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.
1997-1999 Effexor; 2002-2005 Effexor XR 37.5 mg linear taper, dropping same #beads/week with bad results

Cymbalta 60 mg 2012 - 2015; 2016: 20 mg to 7 mg exact doses and dates in this post; 2017: 6.3 mg to  0.0 mg  Aug. 12; details here

scallywag's Introduction

I just don't understand over 4 months and no improvement if not worse I'm just so very tired of suffering 24/7 everyday with no end in sight!

It's just so hard the suffering and pain never ends and I've been through so much already since last May and I've literally lost everything over the last year and it's just taking such a toll on my mind and body sometimes I think I'll never get better or want survive this much longer.

As far as the smoking I need to quit but I just don't know if I can tackle that monster right now with all other going on and it's so destructive the damage it's doing to my face and lips and my body but I already can't work and I can't work out or go to the gym I mean I don't really ever get to leave the house it's just constant torture and misery 24/7 and quitting smoking would be hard enough healthy but in this position almost impossible! All the things they say to do to help you quit like go to the gym working out and just being able to hold down a job to take up the time I can't do so I would lose my mind trying to quit while being stuck in my house 24/7 in this state!

It's just so hard to understand how after 17 weeks no improvement not even a sign of healing and it's hard not to lose hope!

My kids are suffering so bad to they have seen me go through all of this and I can't even hardly take care of myself much less them and it's gotten so bad my sister takes them during the week and they have gotten to the point that's where they would rather be and it breaks my heart!

I feel as if my life will never be the same and their is no coming out of all this!

I literally feel like I'm going over the edge and I'm having a complete breakdown! Between all the pressure and pain in my head and the emotional symptoms I literally just was setting on the couch crying and jumped up and just started screaming and hitting myself in the head and just am having a worse day than normal went to the mirror just crying begging Fod to help me and can't even recognize myself in the mirror!

This is crazy after 17 weeks to still be this bad it's scaring me!

• Moderator Emeritus

Maize, you are still focusing on the worst.

When was the last time you looked up to see the sky?  Looked into your daughters eyes, stroked her hair?

In order to achieve gains, you may need to pursue radical gratitude.  If you express gratitude for every little breath or break that you get - then - like pearls on a string, you will notice more of them.

Notice when food tastes good.  Notice if it feels good to take a shower.  Notice a song that you like.  Each time you pay attention to these small things - they start to save your life, a little at a time.

Like the mouse chewing through the ropes holding the lion.  Yes, you are in a difficult spot, but it takes a lot of little things to help you out.

Mindfulness and Acceptance

You wrote:

I may just try and get the 50mg tablets and try and do a little slower taper like every couple of weeks till I can get completely off of it

So you have the 50 mg, and you've been tapering since - 8 days?  Please update your signature so that we know when you dropped to - 75mg? 87.5 mg?  All we know is that you are cutting your tablets, we're not sure how long you've been doing it, or how much you have tapered by.

Also - I am concerned that you are thinking it's okay to taper every two weeks.  We recommend waiting a month between tapers, especially at first.

Since it sounds like your taper is not going smoothly, you are still struggling with symptoms - plan to hold at your current dose for at least a month.

As far as the smoking I need to quit but I just don't know if I can tackle that monster right now with all other going on

You are correct.  This is not the time to worry about smoking.  It's awful for you - we all know that.  But it may be mediating some of your symptoms, and it is giving you a distraction so that you can survive it.  

When you get to feeling better, it will be easier to address, and easier to make a plan and stick with it. 

How is your diet?  Are you eating regularly and well?  

Do you take Magnesium and Omega-3 fish oil, have you tried Epsom Salts - Another Way to Relax with Magnesium ?

Writing about your agony, as you have been doing for 2 months now - does not seem to be helping you.  The time you've been in withdrawal is not relevant.  I know you want it to be fixed yesterday - but it's going to take as long as it takes.  

Please, read the links that I and other moderators have left for you.  Perhaps this story will help:

http://beyondmeds.com/2009/01/25/how-i-deal-with-mental-breakdowns/

or this MP3:

http://www.getselfhelp.co.uk/music/FirstAidPanicF.mp3

But I cannot reach over to Tennessee and pull you out of your situation.  Only you can do that - and the only way through - is through it.  You can't repress it, so you will need to find a place of acceptance.  As awful as it sounds, as soon as you learn to say, "It's just symptoms," "It's only withdrawal," "It's temporary, it will pass," then you will realize better that these statements are true.  And you will survive.

If, instead, you are looking at the calendar and beating yourself up for why why why - why isn't it better, why does it hurt so much, why me, why - this is an endless battle, and like Shep said - you will exhaust yourself, and make things worse.  Dealing with Emotional Spirals

The path to better lies through accepting what is, and realizing that - like clouds in the sky (sometimes the sky can be cloudy for months at a time!) - it will pass, and you will have a window.  It will take you by surprise, because you will have accepted "feeling bad," and then you will realize - you don't feel so badly in this moment.  And then there will be more moments.

And that's when it gets better.

I hope you see the sun today!

"Easy, easy - just go easy and you'll finish." - Hawaiian Kapuna

Holding is hard work, holding is a blessing. Give your brain time to heal before you try again.

My suggestions are not medical advice, you are in charge of your own medical choices.

A lifetime of being prescribed antidepressants that caused problems (30 years in total). At age 35 flipped to "bipolar," but was not diagnosed for 5 years. Started my journey in Midwest United States. Crossed the Pacific for love and hope; currently living in Australia.   CT Seroquel 25 mg some time in 2013.   Tapered Reboxetine 4 mg Oct 2013 to Sept 2014 = GONE (3 years on Reboxetine).     Tapered Lithium 900 to 475 MG (alternating with the SNRI) Jan 2014 - Nov 2014, tapered Lithium 475 mg Jan 2015 -  Feb 2016 = GONE (10 years  on Lithium).  Many mistakes in dry cutting dosages were made.

The tedious thread (my intro):  JanCarol ☼ Reboxetine first, then Lithium

The happy thread (my success story):  JanCarol - Undiagnosed  Off all bipolar drugs

My own blog:  https://shamanexplorations.com/shamans-blog/

I have been psych drug FREE since 1 Feb 2016!

• Moderator Emeritus

Time goes slowly when we sit and watch the clock.

* NO LONGER ACTIVE on SA *

MISSION ACCOMPLISHED:  (6 year taper)      0mg Pristiq  on 13th November 2021

ADs since ~1992:  25+ years - 1 unknown, Prozac (muscle weakness), Zoloft; citalopram (pooped out) CTed (very sick for 2.5 wks a few months after); Pristiq:  50mg 2012, 100mg beg 2013 (Serotonin Toxicity)  Tapering from Oct 2015 - 13 Nov 2021   LAST DOSE 0.0025mg

Post 0 updates start here    My tapering program     My Intro (goes to tapering graph)

VIDEO:   Antidepressant Withdrawal Syndrome and its Management

Have faith. You will get better.

200 Zoloft; 10 mg Zyprexa; 4 mg valium as of May 2021;  Valium taper: July 16: 3.5 valium; July 30: 3 mg (paused valium taper); Aug. 23: 2.5 mg
Zyprexa: July 26: 8.75 mg; Aug. 9: 7.5 mg; Aug. 30: 7.1 mg

-------
Dec 1, 2016. 10 mg zyprexa for 1.5 month. Started taper mid-Jan. 2017. Cut 1.25 mg every 2 weeks; smaller cuts 2.5 mg down. Stopped at .6 mg. May 7, 2017: zyprexa free. 
Zoloft: Dec1, 2016, 200 mg. Started taper: Jun12, 2017: 197.5 mg; Jun19,:195 mg; July 2:185mg; July 9,:180 mg; July16,: 175; July 23: 170; July 30: 165; Aug6: 160; Aug13: 155; Aug. 20: 150; Aug.27: 146 mg; Sept3: 145 mg; Sept10:143 mg; Sept17:140 mg....Nov5: 122 mg...Dec3:112.5 mg; Jan14, 2018: 95 mg...Jan28: 90 mg; Feb21:80 mg; Mar11: 75 mg; May2:70 mg; May15: 68 mg; May28: 65 mg; Jun9: 62 mg;Jun25: 60 mg:July22: 55 mg; Aug25: 45 mg. Aug28: 50 mg...Oct 28: 38 mg; Dec.4: 30 mg; Jan8,2019: 25mg; Feb6: 23.5 mg; Apr1:17.5mg; May1:1 mg; May 5: 18;  May 18:15mg; June 16:12.5mg; Sept 10:11 mg; Sept.16:10 mg; Oct. 1: 9mg; Nov. 27: 8mg; Dec.5: 7mg; Jan.1,2020, 6 mg; Feb1: 5 mg; May 1: 2.5 mg; Jn 1: 2 mg; Jy 1: 1.5 mg

I just put this as a reply to someone on BB who asked what they thought I was having a unusual bad time this is just where I'm at and I need help and hope that I don't see!

Yeah I don't understand why my symptoms are still so severe and why I haven't not even one once of improvement after 17 weeks off the benzos?

As fas as Xanax I was on them from May of last year until October when I went in to the hospital so between 5-6 months and I never exceeded 1.25-1.5mg on a daily basis and was able to taper down to .75mg a day on my own before going into the hospital because the symptoms were so severe especially the intrusive thoughts and head pressure and physical pain in my head!

The only other time I took benzo was for a few weeks back in 2012 and the a few weeks back in 2013 when I first started having panic attacks and when I started Zoloft and then switching over to Prozac in 2013 but the main exposure was from May of 2016 to October of 2016 so it's not like I was on them for years at extremely high doses 6 months was all it took to destroy my life!

As far as the AD history that hasn't helped me either was on Zoloft at 100mg for a year and a 1/2 starting in 2012 then switched over to Prozac in 2013 after the Zoloft stopped working and was on Prozac from the fall of 2013 to the fall of 2015 so 2 years at 40mg of that the. I got off it and was ok until the spring of 2016 when I was going through a divorce and multiple other issues in my life and my symptoms came back on top of what I believe now was the Prozac WD finally catching up to me with its long half life and in April ended up in the hospital after a few panic attacks and that's when this whole nightmare really started and haven't been the same since!

The ER gave me 16 .5mg tablets of Xanax to get me through till I could get back in to try and get regulated on meds again and it's been down hill from there! First tries to reinstate Prozac but after 9 days started having horrible SU/HO thoughts and it scares me so I went back in and my doctor switched me over to lexapro which was a bad idea! Was only on it for 6 1/2 weeks half the time at 10mg the other at 5mg but could not tolerate the drug and was taking off it and has horrible WD for about 5-6 weeks from that and after that night mare I was scared to try anything else and unfortunately stayed on the Xanax during this period.

By the time I got through the nightmare that was lexapro I had already been on Xanax for 3 months and shortly after I started to realize I was getting some major symptoms from that and it wasn't working anymore and that's when I found this site and starting getting more information what what was happening to me but it was to late the damage was already done and I tried to start tapering form their but it just got so bad it lead me to the hospital where I was CT off .75mg and then but back on Zoloft on was put on at that time .5mg of resperdal which all was a horrible mistake!

I got off the resperdal as soon as I could after about 4 weeks and the last two weeks I cut the .5mg in half to .25mg or the lowest prescription dose and was told that the Zoloft would help the underlying issues and that's when I went up to 100mg of that which is what I was on before but I think all it's done is just make it worse cause more damage to my brain and yet another drug I have to try and get off of and heal from and it's all too much!

I have learned way more about these drugs than I ever wanted to know like poly drugging kindling and what these drugs can really do to people and how they destroy more lives than they help and it's all happening to me too! I believe the kindling aspect hasn't helped me with the benzos or the AD and being exposed to 3 different AD over a four year period hasn't helped either and honestly I don't know if I'll ever be the same and am losing hope more and more everyday!

With the benzo WD especially the acute symptoms such as the severe pressure and physical symptoms in my head I just don't understand how after 17 weeks it's still so severe no improvement and no end in sight and it's so discouraging to say the least!

As far as the AD I'm in my 2nd week of slowly reducing the dose of that now down to 87.5 or as close as I can get to it and I really don't know if it's helping me or making it worse! Just feel like I'm in this never ending loop of torture and torment that I want survive or be able to escape from and my life as I knew is over and I'll never see the light of day again!

How do I update my signature to show I'm slowly tapering and now in my 2nd week of 87.5mg on the Zoloft?

• Mentor

hi MaizeNblue81

I just read thru your thread and I am so very sorry for all that you are going thru. I have been thru some rough times too, and I recall how much I just wanted the rough times to be over!!

I still have rough days and I hate them.

But one thing I learned, and I  actually have to keep RE learning it, because I forget each time, grr!!
one thing I learned is this:

it doesn't help to fight it.

it is bad, and it sucks and I know that, oh I know that. But being angry and wanting it to be different won't help, in fact, I think there's a chance that it can make things worse.

Think of your brain as a fragile thing, a new baby, if you find babies appealing and have warm feelings towards them.

Your brain now is like a newborn baby, in a way, it is having to re learn how to do everything all over again (the main difference between your brain and the baby is that they baby is not RE learning, it is just learning for the first time)

anyway, you want to be as kind and gentle with your brain, with yourself, as you would be to that newborn baby.

We don't expect babies to do very much at all at first, we know that they will struggle to learn what seems like simple things, like getting their fist into their own mouth, those things, they will learn in time.

and so we give them that time to learn.

healing for us, takes time. we never want to hear this but it's the truth and we just have to accept it and give it the time it will take to do it's healing.

but It WILL HEAL, everything in our bodies is designed toward self-healing.

You break a bone, it heals. You cut your finger, it heals.

in time, your brain is GOING TO HEAL.

try to think if there is even just one small thing that has gotten a wee bit better. I think there is probably at least one small thing you can find that is not as bad as it was at first, or that may sometimes not be as bad, at least. try really hard to look for a good thing, ok?

now, of course, we remember that our life was not always this difficult and we want to race ahead and get back to where we once were, but our brains are still very much like fragile new born babies.

we cant' rush them.

we can't rush the healing process, it's kind of like your brain learning new things, learning what to do now that the chemicals (drugs) are not there any more.

I feel for you, I really do. I sat hear crying, hearing the desperation in your words and also learning that you have a daughter, I can only imagine how hard this is when you've got a child to care for.

but like  you are gentle and loving with your child, please try to be gentle and loving with yourself.

You need to take some time to do good things for yourself to help you deal with the symptoms you are having.

there are many things you can try, some may work wonderfully right away, others may not suit you.

we are all here behind you and rooting for you, we are all in this together.

gentle (((hugs)))

• pysch med history: 1974 @ age 18 to Oct 2017 (approx 43 yrs total) 
  •  Drug list: stelazine, haldol, elavil, lithium, zoloft, celexa, lexapro(doses as high as 40mgs), klonopin, ambien, seroquel(high doses), depakote, zyprexa, lamictal- plus brief trials of dozens of other psych meds over the years
  • started lexapro 2002, dose varied from 20mgs to 40mgs. First attempt to get off it was 2007- WD symptoms were mistaken for "relapse". 
  •  2013 too fast taper down to 5mg but WD forced me back to 20mgs
  •  June of 2105, tapered again too rapidly to 2.5mgs by Dec 2015. Found SA, held at 2.5 mgs til May 2016 when I foolishly "jumped off". felt ok until  Sept, then acute WD hit!!  reinstated at 0.3mgs in Oct. 2106
  • Tapered off to zero by  Oct. 2017 Doing very well. 
  • Nov. 2018 feel 95% healed, age 63 
  • Jan. 2020 feel 100% healed, peaceful and content
  • Dec 2023 Loving life! ❤️ with all it's ups and downs ;) 

Well I actually have 3 little girls and desperation is not a strong enough word I don't think for what I feel and what I'm going through!

What I have been through in the last year some don't go through in a lifetime! First divorce, then trying to quit smoking, the the destruction all these psych drugs have caused my life has been completely turned upside down and all I do now is set and cry between the physical and emotional symptoms that I'm having to suffer from these drugs the toll it's taking on my physical health and on my relationships with my family especially my kids!

The drugs that were saposed to help me have destroyed my life and I lay here at night or stand out on the back porch and just cry in constant suffering and pain just wanting to be back to the point where I could do the things most people take for granted like work or go to the gym or just take my kids to a movie it's all gone and I'm losing hope!

17 weeks off Xanax and not a inch or a sign of improvement and I just don't know how much more suffering I can take?

I don't know what to do I'm losing hope and this is our misery beyond anything I could have ever imagined! I'm on day 11 of dropping the Zoloft to 87.5mg and my symptoms are still very severe and maybe worse!

The pressure and numbness in my head is still unrelenting and one thing I've noticed over the last few days is the intrusive thoughts have gotten worse and started to come back more than before with SU/HM ideation creeping back up and it's scaring me!

The pressure and physical pain in my head is so bad I can't hardly stand up or function! All I can do is lay in bed or set and rock back and forth and cry!

I'm 17 going on 18 weeks off Xanax now and I'm losing hope that I will ever get better and I don't know what to do?

• Moderator Emeritus

Maize - symptoms can continue for quite a while.  Letting go of expectations about how long symptoms will last is an important tactic for getting through withdrawal.

Suicidal and homicidal ideation are withdrawal symptoms. If you feel that you cannot deal with these thoughts, please get local or phone support.

Some services available:

The Crisis Text Line (US only)
text  START to 741-741
webpage -- How the Crisis Text Line Works

The National Suicide Prevention Lifeline
1-800-273-TALK (8255)

No matter what problems you are dealing with, we want to help you find a reason to keep living.

By calling 1-800-273-TALK (8255) you’ll be connected to a skilled, trained counselor at a crisis center in your area, anytime 24/7."
webpage for National Suicide Prevention Lifeline

scallywag's Introduction

They are miserable and the suffering never ends and all I can do is set and cry! I really don't know what to do? The Xanax WD is taking its toll and constant agony and suffering that never ends especially the pressure and physical pain in my head is so bad I can't function or even stand up for long periods of time! Almost 18 weeks and these symptoms have not gotten any better of not worse and I'm losing hope!

As far as the Zoloft o just don't know what to do but I can't see ever going back on a benzo especially this far out with the chance of kindling and making it much worse I just can't do it! The Zoloft I'm really confused I don't think I should have ever been put on it but now I've been back on it almost 4 months and I was at 100mg for over 2 months but now I'm almost at 2 weeks dropping back down to 87.5mg and it does seems my symptoms have gotten worse mainly the intense intrusive thoughts almond with major fatigue and insomnia I'm really struggling!

I don't know if should just get back to 75mg and stay for awhile or go back up to 100mg and leave it almond for awhile so I'm confused but I'm so tired of suffering and these drugs have destroyed my life!

I'm worried about kindling to with the AD now and I don't want to go back to benzos I think that would make it worse!

• Mentor

I can hear how desperate you are for relief, and believe me, I am sure we have all been there.

I know this is not what you want to hear but the very best thing you can do for yourself right now is accept that things are not good right now

but they will get better

try to focus on even one small thing that  has improved.

I have found that the more you pay attention to the bad things, the worse they get

the more you pay attention to the GOOD things, regardless of how small, the BETTER they get.

this seems to be true for life in general, not just WD

what one thing has improved for you, even just a little?

•  Drug list: stelazine, haldol, elavil, lithium, zoloft, celexa, lexapro(doses as high as 40mgs), klonopin, ambien, seroquel(high doses), depakote, zyprexa, lamictal- plus brief trials of dozens of other psych meds over the years
  • started lexapro 2002, dose varied from 20mgs to 40mgs. First attempt to get off it was 2007- WD symptoms were mistaken for "relapse". 
  •  June of 2105, tapered again too rapidly to 2.5mgs by Dec 2015. Found SA, held at 2.5 mgs til May 2016 when I foolishly "jumped off". felt ok until  Sept, then acute WD hit!!  reinstated at 0.3mgs in Oct. 2106

Honestly not much has gotten better at all and desperation is not a strong enough word for what I feel! I'm so tired of suffering every day with no end in sight!

I just don't know what to do the main symptoms are still the constant intense unbearable pressure and physical pain in my head horrible fatigue, confusion, DP/DR, and the intrusive thoughts have really started to come back since I started lowering the Zoloft just a little so I'm stuck and not sure where I am in all of this or what to do from here especially with the Zoloft!

I've been off Xanax now 18 weeks and back on Zoloft for close to that I just started to lower the Zoloft over the last two weeks and it's gotten worse!

• Mentor

I just don't know what to do

OK I can tell you what NOT to do, you really need to stop repeating the same thing, I don't think you even realize that you are saying the same thing over and over, about how bad it is

believe me, WE KNOW!!

it's bad

there may be nothing that can be done to make it better, except to WAIT for your brain to heal, to catch up to all the changes it's been thru

I know this is not what you want to hear. I am sorry you are going thru this

many of us have been thru the same thing, so we can assure you, as bad as it feels, it WILL GET BETTER and you will be ok.

YOU need to believe that, ok?

it really seems best to not make any changes right now and just concentrate on taking care of yourself.

do you think you can do that?

you're going to get thru this, you will. it WILL get better. Your brain is just working very very hard right now

try to help it out by concentrating on eating as healthy foods as you can tolerate, keeping your stress level low (this means not repeating how horrible things are, it won't help)  rest if you can, distract yourself if that helps, listen to relaxation tapes if you can or read or take a hot shower or bath, rock back and forth if that makes you feel better, things like that.

it's going to get better, it will!!

remind yourself that you only have to get thru it ONE MOMENT at a time, that's all

we're here for you. you can do this!

I'm sorry I just feel so alone and without hope I'm not trying to bother anyone I'm just scared and I'm not sure if I should just go back up to the 100mg or after a few more weeks go to 75mg on the Zoloft and just stay their for awhile

• Moderator Emeritus

Thanks Catnapt, that's good advice.  This repetition is really locking Maize into a vicious cycle, but sometimes when you are in the cycle, you can't see it.

It's only been 2 weeks on reduced zoloft.

Please hold.

Please do not updose, or reduce.

There are any number of factors which may have extended you suffering.  Really?  17 weeks isn't very long in the scheme of recovery.  17 weeks is almost enough time to stabilize, but you've made some changes - adding and changing Zoloft - since then.

Breathe.  It's the only way to get through this.  

"That you are breathing means that there is more right with you than wrong with you in this moment."  Jon Kabat-Zinn.

"Easy, easy - just go easy and you'll finish." - Hawaiian Kapuna

Holding is hard work, holding is a blessing. Give your brain time to heal before you try again.

My suggestions are not medical advice, you are in charge of your own medical choices.

A lifetime of being prescribed antidepressants that caused problems (30 years in total). At age 35 flipped to "bipolar," but was not diagnosed for 5 years. Started my journey in Midwest United States. Crossed the Pacific for love and hope; currently living in Australia.   CT Seroquel 25 mg some time in 2013.   Tapered Reboxetine 4 mg Oct 2013 to Sept 2014 = GONE (3 years on Reboxetine).     Tapered Lithium 900 to 475 MG (alternating with the SNRI) Jan 2014 - Nov 2014, tapered Lithium 475 mg Jan 2015 -  Feb 2016 = GONE (10 years  on Lithium).  Many mistakes in dry cutting dosages were made.

The tedious thread (my intro):  JanCarol ☼ Reboxetine first, then Lithium

The happy thread (my success story):  JanCarol - Undiagnosed  Off all bipolar drugs

My own blog:  https://shamanexplorations.com/shamans-blog/

I have been psych drug FREE since 1 Feb 2016!