anongrl5590

Any Cold Turkey Success Stories?

anongrl5590   
anongrl5590

Hello everyone!

I have CT'd from Prozac use since September 2017 (you can see my history in my signature). It's my 3rd month of withdrawals (but 4 months off Prozac completely) and I'm struggling to find hope that there's success in cold turkeying. I know it's not the best thing to do, but I'm honestly afraid to reinstate.

I've had waves and windows interchange so far, and I'm hoping the existence of the windows means I'm recovering. But I'm unsure. Can I keep cold turkeying and recover? Are there successes out there from CT?

anongrl5590   
anongrl5590

Sorry meant September 2016, not 2017

sollicitudo   
sollicitudo

There are tons. Personally I know of my father who CTd prozac after about 6 months without any problems.

You haven't been drugged for very long so you should be fine.

anongrl5590   
anongrl5590

There are tons. Personally I know of my father who CTd prozac after about 6 months without any problems.

You haven't been drugged for very long so you should be fine.

I really, really hope so. The last 2 months have been hell though and I'm getting hit with major symptoms every other week so far. I am also 26 years old (not sure if age has to do anything with the recovery period) so I am hoping my recovery will be a bit quicker but again, I do not know when I will fully be myself again. 

coldturkmama   
coldturkmama

Time, unfortunately is a major factor in CT cases.  I am 3 years out and still experiencing windows/waves....and it is not a good time. It does get better, more tolerable, etc.  I was on the drug 15 yrs tho, so my case is different, I am sure you'll  heal faster. 

AliG   
AliG

A Girl - It's so hard to say.  Everyone is different but I have found that on average it seems to be around the three - five  year mark for C/T . Maybe you will be the exception . I hope so. You can keep Cold turkeying and recover but it takes time and patience. Perhaps more than you ever thought that you had.

anongrl5590   
anongrl5590

Time, unfortunately is a major factor in CT cases.  I am 3 years out and still experiencing windows/waves....and it is not a good time. It does get better, more tolerable, etc.  I was on the drug 15 yrs tho, so my case is different, I am sure you'll  heal faster.

I'm sorry you have experienced all this, even 3 years out. It definitely is hard but have you find yourself improving so far? Are the windows getting longer?

anongrl5590   
anongrl5590

A Girl - It's so hard to say.  Everyone is different but I have found that on average it seems to be around the three - five  year mark for C/T . Maybe you will be the exception . I hope so. You can keep Cold turkeying and recover but it takes time and patience. Perhaps more than you ever thought that you had.

Yeah I hope I'll be the exception too but I know everyone's bodies are different. I heard that even for those who have quit just for a month or 2, they still can be in WD for a long time. How have you been holding up so far? Have you improved?

WhySSRI   
WhySSRI

All I can do is hold on to dear life day at a time.  It's all I can do.  

But hoping and praying I get a window it's about time.

Held on six months and I can't say I haven't thought about reinstating but I won't. 

excuse   
excuse

Two of my friends Cold Turkey'd SSRi with out any issues after 3 and 6 months of consumption.

This cold turkey stuff depends upon person to person.

AliG   
AliG

Yeah I hope I'll be the exception too but I know everyone's bodies are different. I heard that even for those who have quit just for a month or 2, they still can be in WD for a long time. How have you been holding up so far? Have you improved?

Yes. I'm miles ahead. Some days are still rough but it's always heading on an upward trajectory and I'm nearly there.

anongrl5590   
anongrl5590

Two of my friends Cold Turkey'd SSRi with out any issues after 3 and 6 months of consumption.

This cold turkey stuff depends upon person to person.

Dang I wish I was part of that exception. I am still suffering SEVERELY with so many symptoms going in and out since I CT'd 7 months ago. I have friends who used to take SSRIs before and came off with no issues. One of them did taper properly though I think. The other one did a sloppy taper after she used Prozac for 4 years and did ok with no discomfort. I can't believe I'm in this predicament...

Yes. I'm miles ahead. Some days are still rough but it's always heading on an upward trajectory and I'm nearly there.

That's so good to hear, Ali! I see you're 3 years off now. What symptoms are you experiencing now? Did you notice any turning points in your recovery and when those happened for you?

AliG   
AliG

3 years at the end of this month. So many symptoms have gone  - dizziness, cortisol awakenings, palpitations,insomia but some remain - neuro-emotions, anhedonia, and occasional depression and anxiety.

I seemed to go in monthly waves for a while but I noticed a huge improvement at the 2- year mark. Since then I have regressed to a degree but I think that is due to life stressors. 

I was on the AD's for many years.

anongrl5590   
anongrl5590

3 years at the end of this month. So many symptoms have gone  - dizziness, cortisol awakenings, palpitations,insomia but some remain - neuro-emotions, anhedonia, and occasional depression and anxiety.

I seemed to go in monthly waves for a while but I noticed a huge improvement at the 2- year mark. Since then I have regressed to a degree but I think that is due to life stressors. 

I was on the AD's for many years.

I see. I'm glad to hear you saw a big improvement at 2 years out and that many of your symptoms have gone away. Are you working right now? How did you cope with the symptoms since you quit CT? The only things working for me so far are distractions (by hanging out with friends, doing homework, watching Netflix, walking outside) and sometimes a hot bath. But nothing else like meditation or yoga or even supplements help me. 

greyed   
greyed

There are tons.

Too bad it's still nothing here from a member who isn't speaking for someone they know in life.

coldturkmama   
coldturkmama

I'm 3.5 yrs out from a cold turkey. I was on Paxil 20 mg for 14 or 15 yrs and then upped to 40 mg for 8 months when I stopped.

I had stopped and started the medication before, but always returned to it thinking it was me- not withdrawal.

Slowly but surely- the brain heals.

sollicitudo   
sollicitudo

There are tons.

Too bad it's still nothing here from a member who isn't speaking for someone they know in life.

Why would someone who quit ADs without any problems come here?

Lorin   
Lorin

I'm 3.5 yrs out from a cold turkey. I was on Paxil 20 mg for 14 or 15 yrs and then upped to 40 mg for 8 months when I stopped.

I had stopped and started the medication before, but always returned to it thinking it was me- not withdrawal.

Slowly but surely- the brain heals.

how you know its you and not your wd?

thanx

coldturkmama   
coldturkmama

Withdrawal caused brain zaps, I never had those before. Stomach cramps, intense anxiety like I'd never had before, intrusive thoughts, the need to be up moving, cold chills, shaking, flu like symptoms and shin pain, and more- I knew it was not me.