SurvivingAntidepressants.org is temporarily closed to new registrations until 1 April ×

Deise: Fluvoxamine caused my depression? Fear I can't recover

Deise

Hello everyone.

Although I feel like maybe I'm not as bad as many many people here, I would still like to share my story, since I have been through some suffering lately. Hope I don't bother you.

Tl;dr: When I reinstated Luvox I started having depression, terrible feelings of hopelessness, dread and doom, no joy in activities or life in general, lack of purpose or meaning in life, and no love for my boyfriend, which troubles me the most. I never had depression before. Wondering if it was the Luvox and starting to taper, but afraid...

So it all began when I was 9 years old. I started having severe panic attacks and anxiety out of nowhere. Afraid to die, afraid my parents would die because they were older than "normal" (used to call my mom every 5 minutes to see if she was alive), afraid of death in general. After a while, I was seeing a psychiatrist for children and started taking Clomipramine, don't know the dosage, until I was 12. I don't remember much because it was 13 years ago, but I don't recall any problems with withdrawal. From that point until I was 21, everything was fine. I would ocasionally have shortness of breath and that kind of stuff, but completely manageable. I was always a very good student (my mom told me they had an IQ test or something and they said I was "gifted", but we never explored that so I don't think it's really important), I practised sports, I learned to play the piano, I always had a great social life, very active.

Now, in 2013, when I was 21 years old, everything went downhill. I was in a relationship since 2011 and it was not a great one, we would fight a lot, he would always break up with me, changing is mind about loving me on a weekly basis, insulting me, saying nobody would like me if they really knew me, etc. This relationship lasted until 2015, mainly because of my inability to let it go, as I thought I could never be happy again without him. 

In 2013, I had a huge anxiety and panic attacks crisis. I was also diagnosed with ocd (obsessive thoughts with mental compulsions, have little to none physical ones). Started on Sertraline but rapidly stopped because I couldn't tolerate the dizziness and nausea and it would make me more anxious. They put me on Xanax for 3 months and I tapered it in one month. Spent two horrible days with insomnia and EXTREME anxiety, but after those two days, it all subsided.

Two months later (February 2014) I was worse (panic attacks, dp/dr, etc) and was put on Luvox (fluvoxamine - 50mg). It was well tolerated, and it helped me for two years, but I noticed I would still have anxiety and the obsessive, I just wouldn't reach the point of a panic attack. About a year and a half in, I started taking 25mg and everything was ok.

Now where it got worse. In April 2016 I started to taper it with the help of my psychiatrist (whom doesn't really talk to me for more than 5 or 10 minutes, doesn't believe Luvox made me gain 33 pounds in under a year, and told me it usually had no bad effects). He told me to start taking it every other day (the 25mg) for a week, then every two days for a week, then every three days, etc. At this point, my previous relationship was over for a year and I was starting a new one. When I was taking it every two days, I started having SEVERE DP/DR and PANIC ATTACKS. I was told to take the 25mg everyday. It didn't work and he told me to raise to 50mg.

Well, the panic attacks have stopped but the worse came. Since I was back on 50mg, I started to feel unhappy. I have a great boyfriend now, who really supports me and cares about me, I am studying psychology with very good grades, so everything is fine I guess. 

But I started to feel disconnected and detached. I feel no joy, no happiness in activities I used to enjoy. I reduced my going out of home very very much, sometimes spending a week without leaving my house and bed. I find no purpose in life, no sense (mybe it is an existential crisis, used to have them but not to this extent). I sometimes feel very frustrated and cry from hopelessness. I don't know what to do. Somedays I don't feel anything at all. On new years I was downtown watching the fireworks and suddenly I felt detached and very nervous and had to go home. My boyfriend came with me and it was ok after a while. But I can't stop feeling sad and with no joy. And the WORST OF ALL, sometimes I don't feel love for my boyfriend :( I know I love him, I think I do, but I can't feel it. I used to feel love so so so deeply and it is so strange to me. I told this to my psychiatrist and he said it was normal with the antidepressant but there was no problem and I had to keep taking it and he told me I had depression because of the anxiety, ocd and panic attacks. But I feel I just got worse since I reinstated it. I never had depression before and I had this since I was 9...

Do you think maybe it is the Luvox? I am thinking of finding another psychiatrist since mine says that withdrawal from antidepressants is not usual and it was my symptoms coming back. But i reinstated it and I just got worse and worse. I sometimes think of suicide, but not in a "I want to do it" kind of way, nor finding relief in it. On the contrary, I feel so hopeless and purposeless that I fear it might come the time that there is no other way and it really scares me, since one of my great fears is dying and ceasing to exist.

I want to taper it but I am afraid I am broken already and I have no hope. I don't want to feel the terrible withdrawal symptoms but I can't take this anhedonia anymore. It makes me so, so sad. I also sleep for more than 12 hours a day and sometimes I don't even see the light of day. I just want to feel happy again, but I am afraid I have no hope at that, that I will be depressed forever.

What do you think?

Sorry for the long post, but I needed to talk to someone that might have experienced the same as I do.

Thank you so much, hope you all feeling well on your journey.

2001 - 2004 (9yrs to 12 yrs old): Clomipramine (don't remember dosage).

2013: Sertraline on September but stopped after two weeks. Xanax for 3 months (late september to december). Two days of terrible withdrawal insomnia and panic but stopped.

2014 - 2015: Luvox 50mg (february 2014 to june 2015).

2015 - 2016: Luvox 25mg (june 2015 to april 2016). Started to taper in April, taking one every other day for a week, one every two days. Severe dp/dr, anxiety and panic attacks.

2016 - 2017: Reinstated Luvox 50mg in June. Started to feel very depressed and anhedonia. Thoughts of suicide that scared me.

January 2017: stared tapering Luvox.

(Gradually reducing 1/8 of the pill, 6.25mg each time (every 4 to 6 weeks) - 12% of original dose, because my taper was going well and couldn't cut pill into smaller bits)

July 2017: 25mg

(Reduced 1/8 of the pill, equivalent to 6.25mg - 12% of original dose)

August 2017: 18.75mg

October 2017: 18.75mg

• Replies 219
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Deise

• ChessieCat

• manymoretodays

• BAT

Top Posters In This Topic

Sorry if I made some mistakes, english is not my native language!

Also, since I started on Luvox I have pain in my knees. Wnet to my GP and she told me there was nothing...

2013: Sertraline on September but stopped after two weeks. Xanax for 3 months (late september to december). Two days of terrible withdrawal insomnia and panic but stopped.

2015 - 2016: Luvox 25mg (june 2015 to april 2016). Started to taper in April, taking one every other day for a week, one every two days. Severe dp/dr, anxiety and panic attacks.

2016 - 2017: Reinstated Luvox 50mg in June. Started to feel very depressed and anhedonia. Thoughts of suicide that scared me.

(Gradually reducing 1/8 of the pill, 6.25mg each time (every 4 to 6 weeks) - 12% of original dose, because my taper was going well and couldn't cut pill into smaller bits)

• Moderator Emeritus

Welcome Deise,

Thanks for sharing your story with us (your English is great!)  There are many here who will identify with your experiences - especially with the fact that sometimes in life we need a lot of extra support, but instead we are given drugs, and then more drugs, and our life seems to get worse rather than better as we had hoped. 

The symptoms (both physical and emotional) you describe can be experienced both as side-effects of the drug and as withdrawal symptoms.  Each time a change is made - to a new drug, or the dose is lowered or increased, or doses are skipped (taken every other day) - it has a cumulative effect on your brain and central nervous system, making them a little less stable. 

The troublesome thing with SSRIs is that you can't just flush their effects out of your system.  They change the way your brain works, and that takes much longer to heal.  Suddenly stopping or quickly reducing the drug puts your brain and Central Nervous System into shock.  It's like yanking a trellis out of a garden instead of gently untangling the plants and slowly removing the wood – it’s too much trauma for the plants/your brain.  (For the source of that simile, plus further discussion, see http://survivinganti...el-your-brain/)

But there is good news.  You are not broken; withdrawal is not permanent.  Now you have a chance to learn about how to safely taper, and then to do it with some on-line support from others who are also tapering.  It can be done!  You are feeling at your worst right now - from here you can start to take steps towards healing, so take heart.  You might find it reassuring to read about neuro-plasticity and brain restoration.  That gave me a lot of hope when I first came here.  Getting you stabilised will be the first step, then you can look at tapering.

It is common to mistake (as your doctor did) withdrawal symptoms for ‘relapse’ and at that can lead to people getting drawn back into using drugs, believing they are not healed.  Once we have more details about luvox and your other signature info, the moderators will be able to work with you to find the best plan to stabilise  you. 

Until then, you might find these useful: 

Non-Drug Techniques to cope with emotional symptoms.

Fish oil and Magnesium during withdrawal.   

Tips for Tapering Luvox

Depersonalisation

Please put your withdrawal history in your signature – all drugs/dates/dosages etc - so we can see your situation easily whenever you post, and help you more accurately.  Thanks.

Have a read of those and then you can come back to this thread to discuss things further.  This can be your journal to record your tapering and healing progress, and to ask questions. 

Welcome to SA,

Karen

2010  Fluoxetine 20mg.  2011  Escitalopram 20mg.  2013 Tapered badly and destabilised CNS.  Effexor 150mg. 

2015 Begin using info at SurvivingAntidepressants.  Cut 10% - bad w/d 2 months, held 1 month. 

Micro-tapering: four weekly 0.4% cuts, hold 4 weeks (struggling with symptoms).

8 month hold.

2017 Micro-tapering: four weekly 1% cuts, hold 4 weeks (symptoms almost non-existent).

2020 Still micro-tapering. Just over 2/3 of the way off effexor. Minimal symptoms, - and sleeping well.
Supplements: Fish oil, vitamin C, iron, oat-straw tea, nettle tea.

2023 Now on 7 micro-beads of Effexor. Minimal symptoms but much more time needed between drops.

'The possibility of renewal exists so long as life exists.'  Dr Gabor Mate.

• Moderator Emeritus

Hey Deise - 

I really don't have anything to add to Karen's amazing post, other than to tell you that it's real.

There are people out here who come off the drugs, who survive awful things, and make the changes that will save our lives.

You are not a diagnosis, you are a brilliant young woman who has had some terrible bumps along the road - is it any wonder that your self, your ego, your brain & nervous system are bruised?

But bruises heal - they just take time.

The only link I have to add here is this one:

Before You Begin Taper - What you Should Know

You will feel better soon - just deciding to take charge of your drugs will empower you, and that will feel better.  But as you start tapering, you will begin to see the real you peeking through all the numbness and haze - and you will get to know yourself again.

I hope you see the sun today.

"Easy, easy - just go easy and you'll finish." - Hawaiian Kapuna

Holding is hard work, holding is a blessing. Give your brain time to heal before you try again.

My suggestions are not medical advice, you are in charge of your own medical choices.

A lifetime of being prescribed antidepressants that caused problems (30 years in total). At age 35 flipped to "bipolar," but was not diagnosed for 5 years. Started my journey in Midwest United States. Crossed the Pacific for love and hope; currently living in Australia.   CT Seroquel 25 mg some time in 2013.   Tapered Reboxetine 4 mg Oct 2013 to Sept 2014 = GONE (3 years on Reboxetine).     Tapered Lithium 900 to 475 MG (alternating with the SNRI) Jan 2014 - Nov 2014, tapered Lithium 475 mg Jan 2015 -  Feb 2016 = GONE (10 years  on Lithium).  Many mistakes in dry cutting dosages were made.

The tedious thread (my intro):  JanCarol ☼ Reboxetine first, then Lithium

The happy thread (my success story):  JanCarol - Undiagnosed  Off all bipolar drugs

My own blog:  https://shamanexplorations.com/shamans-blog/

I have been psych drug FREE since 1 Feb 2016!

Hey Karen and JanCarol and first, thank you so much for your reply.

Lately I have been feeling a little better, today I was even able to make one of my final exams for the end of the semester, which is great considering I wasn't able to go to the previous two. Also I feel some dificulties concentrating and in memory since I began Luvox, although not extremely distressing. Nevertheless, since I always had a great memory and comprehension ability, it is still a bit discouraging.

I am really keen on taper and I want to feel good again. I think existential crisis has always been part of who I am, but I need to be able to deal with them better, as I did before taking Luvox. Also I need to stop being depressed, as I am pretty sure it was the antidepressant. As far as the anxiety and panic, I will start yoga classes next month and in my city we have a buddhist center that makes guided meditation for just 2€ (I guess more or less 3$ ou 4$). Should I try?

I have just two questions:

First, does the clomipramine I took as a child still has influence? It was over 13 years ago. Could it have damaged my brain since I was still a child?

Second, can I make a solution with water with Luvox? For the tapering. My pills are 50mg and I think in Portugal they don't sell the 25mg type, which will suck for the slow taper. I saw the videos that teach how to do the solution but I don't know if it will spoil luvox?

Also I spoke to my mom and we are going to try and find a new psychiatrist. The sad thing is that mine was completely free because it is in a public "mental" hospital and the only one in my city. The price for the private ones is between 60€ to 100€ per appointment...

Also, what do you think about hypnotherapy? It is expensive but there seems to be promising evidence in that field. Just curious :)

Hope I finish my psichology degree. Been thinking about my master theses being about the effect of antidepressants in the wellbeing and health of psychiatric patients. Perhaps it can help someone in the future.

Thanks so much for your replies. I feel very welcome.

Wish you all the best!

Hey Deise

I don't have quite the same problems as what you are going through, but in the year I have been on this site I have read many stories of   women losing feelings for the boyfriends  while in withdrawal or tapering from the drugs.  I know Coopergirl had that problem even though she is still with her boyfriend who is very supportive of her, and I have read many other stories of women who wake up one day and realize their feelings for their partner have vanished which is really sad.  I don't have any idea how drugs can cause this, but they do.   

poetjester

Court committed to take Prozac, Paxci, and Respiradol from 8/95 to 3/96.   developed severe akithisia and brain damage.  Was unable to speak and walking in circles 15 hours a day.  Went in for 5 sessions of ECT during a 10 day period in March of '96 and my forced medication was discontinued at that time.  My akithisia and brain damage cleared up within a few days of stopping the meds.

On Zoloft (200 mg) and Zyprexa (17.5 mg) March 1998- Feb 2014

In between was placed on Effexor 200 mg and Abilify for six months in 2004.  Developed mild akithisia which went away once I stopped the Abilify.  Developed severe GI issues in Dec 2001 and from that time on suffered from fatigue and hypersomnia where I would sleep between 12 and 20 hours a day and rarely ever left my apartment. 

Had tapered to 100 mg of Zoloft and 7.5 mg of Zyprexa at the time of going cold turkey Feb. 2014

Went 5 days without sleep at the beginning while vomiting all over my apt.  Had brain zaps for a number of weeks and also lightheadedness which both eventually went away.  However 2 1/2 yrs later I still struggle with insomnia, depression, and fatigue.

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi Deise and welcome to SA from me too.

In the Tips for tapering off Luvox (fluvoxamine) there is a section on cutting tablets and also do it yourself liquid:

Cutting up immediate-release tablets
Get your prescription refilled with a combination of dosages that includes 25mg tablets. Cut up the tablets so you can reduce by a quarter of a tablet (6.25mg) at a time.

Tablets can be cut up with a pill splitter like other medications in tablet form. Keep the pieces you don't use in a clean pill bottle labeled with the dosage for future use.

Do-it-yourself liquid
You may be able to make a liquid with immediate-release tablets and water. A liquid makes it easier to titrate by small, controlled amounts.

It is "sparingly soluble" in water, see http://www.drugbank....t/1755/report/F
it is somewhat stable, but degraded by light.

You might find these topics helpful:

What should I expect from my doctor about withdrawal symptoms?

How do you talk to a doctor about tapering and withdrawal?

Brain Remodelling

Video:  Healing From Antidepressants - Patterns of Recovery

I've been tapering my Pristiq for just over a year now and I have had a big improvement in my memory.  In fact, I started learning Hebrew in the middle of November last year and have been amazed at how much I have been able to learn and remember.

Here is SA's topic on hypnotherapy

To search this site I use a search engine like google and type in survivingantidepressants.org plus topic (I am looking for).

Here is another good topic Claire Weekes' Method of Recovering from a Sensitized Nervous System.  Claire Weekes was a doctor who suffered from anxiety and learnt and taught others.

You might be interested in checking out my website (address in my signature) which has links to things I have found on the internet.

* NO LONGER ACTIVE on SA *

MISSION ACCOMPLISHED:  (6 year taper)      0mg Pristiq  on 13th November 2021

ADs since ~1992:  25+ years - 1 unknown, Prozac (muscle weakness), Zoloft; citalopram (pooped out) CTed (very sick for 2.5 wks a few months after); Pristiq:  50mg 2012, 100mg beg 2013 (Serotonin Toxicity)  Tapering from Oct 2015 - 13 Nov 2021   LAST DOSE 0.0025mg

Post 0 updates start here    My tapering program     My Intro (goes to tapering graph)

VIDEO:   Antidepressant Withdrawal Syndrome and its Management

Hi PoetJester and ChessieCat, thank you so much for your replies and welcomes :)

I went to read Coopergirl's story and it is similar to mine, and also quite sad. I find that my feelings (either for my boyfriend or for everything else) sometimes got back for a few days, or hours, and I do feel better, but other times they get overwhelming, and I feel very hopeless.

With my existential crisis I sometimes feel a lack of meaning or purpose in life, and that too makes me sad. I always had those kind of crisis once in a while, specially while I was studying philosophy, which poses great existential questions and they very difficult and probably impossible to answer. But that is life, and everyone has to live with it. I just wish I could be happy as I was before taking this drug. Even with panic attacks and anxiety I felt and was a very happy person which loved and had many interests.

Also, ChessieCat, it is good to know someone which, over a relatively "short" (in the span we sometimes see in this website) time, improved so much in terms of cognition and memory. Also, being able to lear such a difficult language is amazing and I hope you suceed and enjoy it very much :D

Can you tell me if you had improvements during your WD apart from the memory one? I mean, if you feel more like yourself and if your brain is recovering!

I have been reading some of the topics that you guys advised me to and some others here in SA, and I have a question:

Do you think maybe what I am feeling is the "poop-out" or tolerance of the drug? Because all this happened when I reinstated and went from 25mg to 50mg again. When I was tapering I did have anxiety and DP/DR that were probably from WD and my Dr. mistook for relapse. The depression and loss of feelings and joy in activity started after reinstating the 50mg, never had them before and have only had them for more or less for 6 months. Also, I always slept for long periods, but after reinstating I have been sleeping for 12h or more almost everyday (except when I had to go to classes but I would eventually fall asleep as soon as I got home). The pain in my knees, although it started almost immediatly after starting Luvox, it got a lot worse since reinstating also. I don't feel pain while walking or standing, just when the knee is bent, no matter if I am standing or laying down.

If it is tolerance/"poop-out", is the best thing to do to start tapering as soon as I can? (slowly, of course).

Thanks again for all your responses :)

• Moderator Emeritus

The other factor is that psych drugs actually cause depression. 

Poop out may have played a part, though it's usually more gradual - a person will notice a slow build-up of symptoms.  I would say it's more likely the depression and loss of feelings were caused by the sudden increase in Luvox (25mg to 50mg) further destabilising your CNS. 

However, it's been 7 months since you last made a change, and that is quite a while.  I was in a similar situation when I began to taper - just feeling so depressed for so long, and in the end there was not much point trying to wait for some sort of stability, as I hadn't made any drug changes for ages.   

Have there been any signs of stabilising since June?  And did you read Before You Begin Taper - What you Should Know?  How do you think you are placed for a taper at this point?  (And if you do choose to begin tapering, I'd suggest going cautiously at first - maybe 5% or a micro-taper). 

2010  Fluoxetine 20mg.  2011  Escitalopram 20mg.  2013 Tapered badly and destabilised CNS.  Effexor 150mg. 

2015 Begin using info at SurvivingAntidepressants.  Cut 10% - bad w/d 2 months, held 1 month. 

8 month hold.

2017 Micro-tapering: four weekly 1% cuts, hold 4 weeks (symptoms almost non-existent).

2020 Still micro-tapering. Just over 2/3 of the way off effexor. Minimal symptoms, - and sleeping well.

2023 Now on 7 micro-beads of Effexor. Minimal symptoms but much more time needed between drops.

Hi KarenB.

Since I increased the dose the only thing that reduced were the panic attacks and the dp/dr (which lately have been slowly coming back). Around late October I was feeling a bit better related to the depression and I was feeling love for my boyfriend, which made me happier, but it was all gone in November/early December. No more improvements, only worsening.

Also, when I got from 50mg to 25mg last year it was fine, no withdrawal whatsoever! It only got bad when I started taking the 25mg every other day.

I am very afraid that I caused this because of the Luvox increase but at the time I was having terrible anxiety and dp/dr and did not know what to do :(

What are the chances that tapering will make the depression go away? I feel very sad and scared. Although anxiety and panic attacks are horrible, I would chose them over depression every day. I don't want to think life is worthless anymore. I don't want to sleep all day. I want to have interest in things and feel happy. I don't want to come to the time where suicide seems the only option because of the hopelessness. I am very scared of that and that even after tapering the depression won't go away :(

Did your depression got better when you started tapering?

Thank you for your response.

And yes, I read that topic :)

I don'te think I have any of the situations in which taper is not recommended. The only anxiety I have lately is about the depression and that it may never go away and I will never be able to be happy again :(

At the moment I also have terrible eating and sleeping habits and almost don't leave my bed. I am aware I have to change that too.

• Moderator Emeritus

Very slowly my depression did start to ease.  It took awhile at first because it turned out that 10% was too much of a reduction for me, so I spent 3 miserable months trying to stabilise (when in hindsight I should have up-dosed, stabilised and started again later).  These days I don't have a problem with depression at all, and haven't had for quite some time now.  Anxiety still rears it's head sometimes, but usually for an obvious reason.   

I remember so clearly, in one of the very first replies I got here on SA, a mod telling me that I'd start to get myself back again and that I'd enjoy it.  They were right :).  And it will happen for you too. 

Firstly - Getting your ducks in a row (like the eating/sleeping habits you mentioned) before beginning to taper is a really good idea.  You might not perfect them, but at least you might be able to get some better foundations in place. 

Secondly - Very gentle tapering, to see what your brain can handle.  How does a 5% or micro taper sound?  Or a Brassmonkey slide? 

8 month hold.

Thank you Karen! I hope you are right and that I can get myself back on track. Also hope you keep doing well and even better :)

It sounds great any of the tapers. The only problem is that in Portugal, Luvox (it is called Dumyrox here) only comes in 50mg tablets, so it will be hard to cut :/

I read the topic about making it a liquid but I don't know how many days can I keep it in the fridge before it goes bad! Any idea?

Thank you

• Moderator Emeritus

Most homemade solutions may keep for at least a few days, refrigerated. Drugs tend to be degraded by heat and light, which is why pharmacy containers are tinted.

Refrigeration delays the growth of bacteria and mold in your homemade liquid, which was not made under sterile conditions.

That's from the How to Make a Liquid thread, so it looks as though you'll need to prepare more every few days.  That's a pain, but less of a pain than a destabilised CNS. 

8 month hold.

That is true!

Thanks again, Karen. For now I'm finishing my exam season at college and I will start after that. Don't want to risk it.

Should I make updates in this thread? :)

• Moderator Emeritus

Yes, all your updates should go here.  This will be your place whenever you want to write anything.  That way your whole story is together.  Good luck on the exams! 

8 month hold.

• 2 weeks later...

Hello Karen!

My exams went very well :)

I started my tapering 6 days ago, reduced 10%. So far, so good and only today did I experience some mild things that I want to ask if it's normal.

I experienced a slight and gradual increase in anxiety (but the exams ended last week so maybe that had a role?). Today I woke up with shortness of breath, which usually happens when I am more anxious. It subsided until 6pm. Then I started feeling more nervous and getting shortness of breath again. I took a shower and it helped.

Then I had to go have dinner at my grandma's house for my birthday and started feeling anxious again. When I got home I was very short of breath and with tachycardia. I could feel every heartbeat in my throat. Also felt a little disconnected but I distracted myself with a book and it went away!

Eventually I fell asleep and woke up now (4 hours later - currently 3:30 am where I am from) with shortness of breath again after a kind of nightmare (but I always had vivid Dreams so I am not blaming that on the AD :D ) but all the rest stopped and I feel a little less anxious.

Will it get worse after the first week? Is this normal during WD? I want to be prepared even though they are kind of mild symptoms.

Thank you :)

Maybe too much sugar today? After all it was my birthday and I ate quite a bit of chocolate and carbs...

Forgot to mention I went to my GP last week and votos very frustrated since she told me I had to accept taking ADs my whole life because my personality is like that and people never change and it is like someone with diabetes ????

Also told me maybe depression was better than panic attacks (??) and I should learn to live with it. Said diet and exercise don't help. I don't know what is wrong with her...people DO change and develop for their entire lives!!

• Moderator Emeritus

Your GP has a sad case of hopelessness, and also appears a little behind on her reading - the diabetes simile has been thoroughly disputed. 

Diet and exercise - they do make a rather big difference.  Although, when dealing with depression/anxiety (and probably other things too, but those are what I experienced) it is also necessary to nurture relationships - both with yourself and others.  Healing happens through relationships.  Relationships are what gets us through the tough stages in our lives. 

Sugar, caffeine, overly-processed foods, alcohol - all these can activate our symptoms.  With experience you'll be able to work out your personal tolerance levels.  

Changes in dosage are usually felt at around 4 days, so what you've been experiencing is very normal.  Anxiety, shortness of breath, waking from nightmares, tachcardia are all very common.  It sounds like you have some good self-care ideas which are helping you to manage.  If you want more, have a look at http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/1112-non-drug-techniques-to-cope-with-emotional-symptoms/ 

This is from Alto, on the Irregular Heartbeats thread: 

Irregular heart beats and palpitations are very common withdrawal symptoms. If your symptom started during or after withdrawal, it is likely a withdrawal symptom and an indication you have tapered too fast. Like other withdrawal symptoms, this goes away with time. Also, walking helps regularize autonomic function and heart rate. Make sure you get at least a half-hour of walking every day, if you can tolerate it.

Waking with early morning anxiety

Symptoms shouldn't get worse after the first week.  Everybody's pattern differs slightly, but usually people experience a few tricky days around day 4 and then things start to improve.  If it doesn't improve after a week or two, then hold for longer than a month until you are properly stabilised again and reduce by a smaller amount next time. 

You can totally manage things so you can get through this withdrawal in one piece.  Take it slow, take it easy.

8 month hold.

Your GP has a sad case of hopelessness, and also appears a little behind on her reading - the diabetes simile has been thoroughly disputed. 

This.

Actually i think your doctor may be suffering I.E.D. as well.

Impervious to the Evidence Disorder.

Have you considered getting a new doctor.

Its because of doctors like yours this scientific nightmare continues to be perpetuated

Thought for the day: Lets stand up, and let’s speak out , together. G Olsen

We have until the 14th. Feb 2018. 

URGENT REQUEST Please consider submitting  for the petition on Prescribed Drug Dependence and Withdrawal currently awaiting its third consideration at the Scottish Parliament. You don't even have to be from Scotland. By clicking on the link below you can read some of the previous submissions but be warned many of them are quite harrowing.

http://www.parliament.scot/GettingInvolved/Petitions/PE01651   

Please tell them about your problems taking and withdrawing from antidepressants and/or benzos.

Send by email to petitions@parliament.scot and quote PE01651 in the subject heading. Keep to a maximum of 3 sides of A4 and you can't name for legal reasons any doctor you have consulted. Tell them if you wish to remain anonymous. We need the numbers to help convince the committee members we are not isolated cases. You have until mid February. Thank you

Recovering paxil addict

None of the published articles shed light on what ssri's ... actually do or what their hazards might be. Healy 2013. 

This is so true, with anything you get on these drugs, dependance, tapering, withdrawal symptoms, side effects, just silent. And if there is something mentioned then their is a serious disconnect between what is said and reality! 

"Every time I read of a multi-person shooting, I always presume that person had just started a SSRI or had just stopped."  Dr Mosher. Me too! 

Over two decades later, the number of antidepressant prescriptions a year is slightly more than the number of people in the Western world. Most (nine out of 10) prescriptions are for patients who faced difficulties on stopping, equating to about a tenth of the population. These patients are often advised to continue treatment because their difficulties indicate they need ongoing treatment, just as a person with diabetes needs insulin. Healy 2015

I believe the ssri era will soon stand as one of the most shameful in the history of medicine. Healy 2015

Let people help people ... in a natural, kind, non-addictive (and non-big pharma) way. J Broadley 2017

Hi nz11!

Yes, I have considered changing doctor but where I live you get a GP (family doctor) and, to change, since I am not financially independent from my parents, we all need to change. The problem is that sometimes it Takes years to get another doctor and we are also limited to the same healthcare center because of residence area.

The only alternative is a privativa practice doctor, although expensive it may be a better option.

Just a question, the anxiety I felt the other day is far better, but where I once slept for 12h+ a day now I wake up at 8am and can not sleep more for a while. Also yesterday and the day before I became very tired and sleepy at the end of the day even though I did nothing all day. Also a bit apathetic.

Is it common? Should I not worry?

Thanks again :)

Hi, Deise.

Sorry to hear about your situation. Like many of us in here, you have been exposed to fairy tales and ignorance from your GP. Most doctors are being told and believe that the symptoms from WD is caused by underlying psychopatgology, and almost always interpret symptoms as relapse from a psychiatric disorder, and this justifies prescribing more drugs.

You will find a lot of support in here. Im also very sensitive to stimulants, and can totally get your point on the matter of too much sugar. A low carb diet has helped me alot.

Best wishes for your future recovery.

Cipramillion

<p>Sept 2015: 5 mg Cipralex for 3 weeks. Lots of side effects. Reduced to 2.5 mg for 2 weeks. Experiencing withdrawal and side effects still after dose reduction. Quit after almost 4 weeks on 2.5 mg because of adverse effects. Experiencing withdrawal symptoms still. Reinstating 1mg after 3 weeks. Reduced to 0.50 after 2 days due to sensitive reaction (dysautonomia) and trip to ER. January 2016: After 14 months of tapering from 0.5 mg im now down to 0.08mg. Planing on one more drop before 4-8 weeks healing, then jump to zero. 14.03.17: Lexapro free!

Hi everyone, I have one question.

But first, thank you Cipramillion! I started a low carb diet three days ago, and I don't eat carbs after 4pm. I figure it will help. I wish you well on your journey too.

I am feeling better, almost no anxiety, been sleeping 8 hours, which is a HUGE difference since I was sleeping 12+ hours before starting the taper. Can a taper as little as 10% change that so quickly?!

I just have a question I don't think I asked before: I struggle with existential angst and dread that mainly started because of DP/DR. Can DP/DR be caused by TAKING the antidepressant? And also by tapering? Will it go away after I stop the meds or is it something non related?

Thank you :)

• Moderator Emeritus

Yes, it can be caused by both taking the antidepressant and by w/d (as can most symptoms).  Here's some discussion from others who've struggled with the same thing:  http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/1766-derealization-or-depersonalization/page-5

Sounds like you are generally doing well with your taper - you must be relieved! 

8 month hold.

Yes Karen, for now I think I am doing well. I am still on my first reduction, been holding for two and a half weeks now, had a few rocky days but in general I am being very lucky. I hope the depression and dpdr get better once I stop the meds!

I hope this continues during the rest of the taper, since last time it took some time to hit and it was terrible. But I guess last time it was basically CT, taking 25mg every other day. So I hope this time, by making things slowly, it will be better!

I will keep posting updates, thank you so much for all your help, hope you are doing well :)

Hello :)

Next week will be a month since my first reduction. I have been wondering, since I had few problems, do you think maybe I could try another reduction of 10% of the original dose? That is, another reduction of 5mg. Or is it dangerous?

Another question I have is about birth control. I have been taking birth control for 10 years, since I was 14, also because of heavy periods and later to prevent pregnancy. I have been thinking about stopping them, to be completely rid of meds. Should I wait until the end of the taper of the AD?

As a side note, I have been talking with some professors about the possibility of doing my master thesis about the effects of AD in psychological well being and their long term effects on depression and the likes. One professor, a neuroscientist and neuropsychology expert, sounded interested as he had already done an investigation with antipsychotics and hearing problems in schizofrenics. Maybe I can be of some help in the future and contribute a little to this community :)

• Moderator Emeritus
Next week will be a month since my first reduction. I have been wondering, since I had few problems, do you think maybe I could try another reduction of 10% of the original dose?

The reason it's not a good idea is because each reduction has a cumulative effect.  Your next reduction will be coming in on top of the last one, so it will be a harder job for your CNS to remain relatively stable.  You'll want to do everything you can to maintain the stability you've had over the last month.

And regarding your question about birth control, this is from Alto in the Hormone Pills thread: 

...women have reported starting (or stopping) hormones rocks the boat, recovery-wise. All the hormones in the body are inter-related. Change the balance in one area and everything else changes, too. This can be destabilizing.

I love you idea for your masters paper - the more ways this can be addressed the better.

8 month hold.

• 1 month later...

Hi everyone,

Just making an update since when people usually post here is bad.

I am currently at 37.5mg from my initial dose of 50mg.

Been doing good! The anhedonia is slowly lifting and in the days it is worse, I try to remind myself it will pass and that I have been through this before. The derealization is also, I would say, about 80% better. Only sometimes it gets weird but again, I remind myself it will get better.

Been tapering for around 2/3 months. To date, it is going way better than I expected and I don't feel as sad as before (with some exceptions, some days are better than others).

Hope you all are doing ok, and wish you the best.

I will keep updating.

To date, it does get better :)

• Moderator Emeritus

This is good to hear.  And what I find great is that when you feel a bit worse you are mindful of it and know it is only temporary.  It's really good that you are able to remind yourself that it will pass.  And remember, even people who aren't tapering drugs get times like that too.

ADs since ~1992:  25+ years - 1 unknown, Prozac (muscle weakness), Zoloft; citalopram (pooped out) CTed (very sick for 2.5 wks a few months after); Pristiq:  50mg 2012, 100mg beg 2013 (Serotonin Toxicity)  Tapering from Oct 2015 - 13 Nov 2021   LAST DOSE 0.0025mg

Post 0 updates start here    My tapering program     My Intro (goes to tapering graph)

• 1 month later...

Hi Deise,

I saw that you are on Luvox . I actually switched to this med about 4 months ago I started with 50 and then went down to 37.5 . It sounds like you are doing great . Are you holding or planning to taper soon ?

I am still struggling with fatigue dizziness dp/dr but it is more likely WD related from lexapro . I was thinking about increasing Luvox to 50 but nervous about side effects and the flatness which looks like you experienced as well

04/10 Luvox 25 mg PM, Nortriptyline 1 mg PM

03/08/19: Buspar 2.5 mg AM, 5 mg PM

01/01/19: Xanax 0.125 AM 5 times a week. Occasionally, 0.125 twice a day AM & noon

12/18 Armour Thyroid 60 mg (for hypothyroidism) 

Supplements: B Complex, B12 (adeno), multi-vitamin, D, Adrenal Cortex, iron

• Lexapro 20 mg 2007 - 2013 with various attempts to stop
  • 2013 found a new Dr and started trying other meds: Prozac, Notryptoline, Effexor, Buspar, Gabapentin, Paxil, Nardil
  • Lexapro 15 mg 2015 - 04/2016
  • Vibryiid 10 - 15mg 05/16-06/16 
  • NO MEDS 07/16 - 10/31/16
  • Reinstated 10/31/16 at 2.5 mg lexapro, increased to 5 mg   
  • 1/13/17 switched to Luvox 50 mg before bed
  • 1/20/17 Luvox 37.5 mg PM
  • 12/18 Luvox 10 mg PM, Nortriptyline 2 mg (started Nortriptyline 06/17 at 10 mg)
  • 3 weeks later...

Hi Deise,

I saw that you are on Luvox . I actually switched to this med about 4 months ago I started with 50 and then went down to 37.5 . It sounds like you are doing great . Are you holding or planning to taper soon ?

I am still struggling with fatigue dizziness dp/dr but it is more likely WD related from lexapro . I was thinking about increasing Luvox to 50 but nervous about side effects and the flatness which looks like you experienced as well

Hello Blondie!

I am sorry but I Just saw your message now, for some reason I did not receive an email notification. Sorry :(

How are you doing? Have you done some changes?

I am currently at 25mg, I reduced a little to fast because I was feeling well, although I know this was reckless so I would not recommend.

For now, I am feeling good. The flatness has, without doubt, lifted with the reduction, although I wouldn't say it is 100% gone. More like 70%! The feelings for my boyfriend are still the most affected :(

I plan on holding at 25mg for a while I think, because I am afraid since the last time I got worse was when tapering too fast from 25mg!

I have no idea about lexapro, as I only take Luvox, but those sound like very common WD symptoms. I suffered fatigue and dpdr during my fast withdrawal but also when upping the dose. So I have no proper advice to give you, I think :(

I try to do what feels safe and good for me at the moment. Do you think going up to 50mg would help with the fatigue, dizziness and dpdr? I seem to get more fatigued with higher doses of luvox. A lot more. Do you feel bad with your current dose?

I am sorry I can't be more helpful, I am also doing trial and error! The only thing I seem to feel now is the flatness somedays, and lately I have been very short of breath, but maybe that is because my exam season starts Monday! Or so I hope :)

Hope you have a good recovery. One step at a time and you can do it!

• 2 months later...

Hello everyone, just giving an update :)

Currently I am at 18.75mg and I have been feeling better!! My depression is mostly gone and my dpdr is, at the moment, not existent, so my tapering is going very well, fortunately :D

On the other hand, I just found out I have anaemia with extremely low iron levels and I am also deficient in vitamin D, B12 and zync. I wonder if that was what was causing many of my symptoms of depression. I also have high cholesterol and I get tired very easily. Because many of these are symptoms of hypothyroidism I an going to get my thyroid checked. What do you think of this?

What makes me a little angry is that nobody ever cared to take a blood sample to begin with to check if my vitamins were ok, since vitamin D is so correlated with mood and depression. They just gave me Luvox without bothering to check...but oh well. At least at the moment I am doing ok, mentally :)

Hope everyone is ok, wish you all a good recovery :)

• 2 weeks later...

I have a question that I need to ask and since there can be different causes I figured I might ask here.

I had an appointment with my gp on Thursday and she got me started on iron (100mg a day for at least 3 months). I also started to take B12 - 2000 IU once a week - and vitamin D3, 22.400 IU per month (it's a box with 3 pills, take one once every 28 days, it's the equivalent of 800 IU a day).

The problem I am facing is that yesterday and today I felt a little weird. Like, my heart seems to be beating faster and/or irregularly, or "shallow", can't really explain, and I felt a little anxious/nervous and a bit spaced out. It is not too much, but it is still uncomfortable. 

Do you know if the supplements can cause it? I doubt it's Luvox because I am taking 18.75mg for almost a month with no problem...the only change was the supplements.

Hope you have some insight on it. Thank you in advance.

• Moderator Emeritus

When starting anything new you should start one at a time and start at a smaller dose, eg 1/4 of the suggested and work up to the full dose.

To search the site I use google.  In this instance I typed in survivingantidepressants.org + topic I am searching for:

iron-supplement-recommendations

vitamin-b12-essential-for-mood-nervous-system

vitamin-d3-cholecalciferol-or-calcitriol

supplements-what-helps-what-doesnt

important-topics-about-tests-supplements-treatments-diet

Hi ChessieCat, 

I have been through some of those topics but I was not able to find the symptoms so I asked here, sorry!

I did take vitamin D and B12 at the same time on Thursday night, since they were only once a week and once a month I thought it would be ok. As I read I believe the B12 would be the one to cause more symptoms like the ones I had, but I didn't think I would feel it two days later :/

I have very low iron levels and ferritin levels so I don't know if I can take just 1/4 since it is necessary to get back to normal levels as soon as possible...

I hope I will get better as the days pass, maybe I will reduce the B12 for 1000 IU a week instead of 2000 IU.

Thank you so much for your advice :)

• Moderator Emeritus

Hello Deise,

There is a very important survey on drug WD at the moment. We might finally get some acknowledgement for all the suffering these drugs caused us.

Adding your experience would be very valuable. It only takes a few minutes. They extended it because they got so many replies after Alto mobilised our members here but the more people join, the more powerful we are.

I even invited my friends who are not on the forum and some of them were not even aware that what was happening to them was a WD... Every vote counts.

https://roehamptonpsych.az1.qualtrics.com/jfe/form/SV_6gSHZN88sOmHDlr

Edited by bubble

Current: 9/2022 Xanax 0.08, Lexapro 2

2020 Xanax 0.26 (down from 2 mg in 2013), Lexapro 2.85 mg (down from 5 mg 2013)

Amitriptyline (tricyclic AD) and clonazepam for 3 months to treat headache in 1996 
1999. - present Xanax prn up to 3 mg.
2000-2005 Prozac CT twice, 2005-2010 Zoloft CT 3 times, 2010-2013 Escitalopram 10 mg
went from 2.5 to zero on 7 Aug 2013, bad crash 40 days after
reinstated to 5 mg Escitalopram 4Oct 2013 and holding liquid Xanax every 5 hours
28 Jan 2014 Xanax 1.9, 18 Apr  2015 1 mg,  25 June 2015 Lex 4.8, 6 Aug Lexapro 4.6, 1 Jan 2016 0.64  Xanax     9 month hold

24 Sept 2016 4.5 Lex, 17 Oct 4.4 Lex (Nov 0.63 Xanax, Dec 0.625 Xanax), 1 Jan 2017 4.3 Lex, 24 Jan 4.2, 5 Feb 4.1, 24 Mar 4 mg, 10 Apr 3.9 mg, May 3.85, June 3.8, July 3.75, 22 July 3.7, 15 Aug 3.65, 17 Sept 3.6, 1 Jan 2018 3.55, 19 Jan 3.5, 16 Mar 3.4, 14 Apr 3.3, 23 May 3.2, 16 June 3.15, 15 Jul 3.1, 31 Jul 3, 21 Aug 2.9 26 Sept 2.85, 14 Nov Xan 0.61, 1 Dec 0.59, 19 Dec 0.58, 4 Jan 0.565, 6 Feb 0.55, 20 Feb 0.535, 1 Mar 0.505, 10 Mar 0.475, 14 Mar 0.45, 4 Apr 0.415, 13 Apr 0.37, 21 Apr 0.33, 29 Apr 0.29, 10 May 0.27, 17 May 0.25, 28 May 0.22, 19 June 0.22, 21 Jun updose to 0.24, 24 Jun updose to 0.26

Supplements: Omega 3 + Vit E, Vit C, D, magnesium, Taurine, probiotic 

I'm not a medical professional. Any advice I give is based on my own experience and reading.