squirrel

Head noise and other symptoms in the head

darktimes

I also have these symptoms have to be the worst for me . This is a great thread at least we no were not alone.

Cressida

I also have these symptoms have to be the worst for me . This is a great thread at least we no were not alone.

That is a comfort . What symptoms exactly are you getting ?

laineyk

I have been getting this new symptom that I feel this burning sensation in my head!?!

I have had the burning on my skin but this has been happening since coming off the zoloft.

Friday will be 4 months off and I am sicker now then ever......shouldn't I be feeling better some time soon

I have already established that going back on is NOT an option

I have to be off all psych meds before I get any older and end up with dementia

so this burning in my head...do I need to see neurologist? this is scaring me bad

also extreme woozy/off balanced almost all day

Petunia

Many people experience burning sensations and all kinds of head symptoms, while going through withdrawal, have a look through this topic:

Head noise and other symptoms in the head *topics merged

A 4 week taper after being on Zoloft for 6 years is much too fast, you may as well have gone CT. So being 4 months off is still early days. I did a 2 month taper, after being on SSRIs for 13 years and got progressively worse over the next year.

When you get your benzo dosing even, that may help. Look through the topics in this forum to get some ideas for how to manage as you are recovering. Especially read the topics pinned at the top.

Edited by Petunia
updated

oskcajga

Before I fall asleep my brain literally makes loud noises and crunching noises - like my brain is literally "adjusting" - sometimes there's a very loud audible crack ,followed by a slight jolting of my head.

This progressed in the following fashion from 18 months ago until now:

Constant pain in my face and skull---->  pain + lots of involuntary twitching before going to bed/relaxing ------------>  pain+involutary twitching + loud audible cracks and grinding noises and feelings in my skull when trying to fall asleep.

Throughout this progression, my pain has gotten less severe, and the cracking/grinding/twitching has gotten a bit worse or stayed steady.  It's like a fireworks show in my brain when I'm trying to fall asleep - but it's a comforting feeling because I know that it means I'm about to fall asleep and get a break from the conscious experience.

I have only read 1 other anecdotal story of popping/grinding/clicking noises in the brain - so now this is #2.

mammaP

Somewhere on the site, (sorry but can't remember where and don't have time to look for it) there is a topic on hyper awareness where we become acutely aware of our bodily functions and can feel/hear everything that our bodies are doing when normally we don't notice. 

It can be alarming for some people, so its good that you feel comforted by it. 

oskcajga

Yeah, I agree that we are more aware during withdrawal - but what's going on with me would always be noticable even if I wasn't in this condition.  I'll have a loud "CRACK" in my frontal lobe region of the brain and my whole head will jolt as I'm trying to go to bed.

That never ever happened before.

I suspect that I have a bunch of scar tissue around my trigeminal nerve and it's adjusting when I try to fall asleep or something.

IDK, it's rather concerning though - definitely points to the fact that my body has been significantly altered by these dangerous drugs.

this is not TMJ either - the noises and crunches are coming from inside my forehead.

LexAnger

Before I fall asleep my brain literally makes loud noises and crunching noises - like my brain is literally "adjusting" - sometimes there's a very loud audible crack ,followed by a slight jolting of my head.

This progressed in the following fashion from 18 months ago until now:

Constant pain in my face and skull---->  pain + lots of involuntary twitching before going to bed/relaxing ------------>  pain+involutary twitching + loud audible cracks and grinding noises and feelings in my skull when trying to fall asleep.

Throughout this progression, my pain has gotten less severe, and the cracking/grinding/twitching has gotten a bit worse or stayed steady.  It's like a fireworks show in my brain when I'm trying to fall asleep - but it's a comforting feeling because I know that it means I'm about to fall asleep and get a break from the conscious experience.

I have only read 1 other anecdotal story of popping/grinding/clicking noises in the brain - so now this is #2.

My Gosh! So heartbreaking for what you have suffered! I am with you for all the pain symptoms for all t.hese years since tapering d I'm still on the poison! Firework is also how I feel and explain to others, very painful! I can't imagine the torture of the loud noise!

oskcajga

Actually, this is my favorite symptom because it's a sign that i'm getting better.  When ever I hear the crackling noises, I know I'm going to successfully fall asleep and feel like a somewhat normal human being again the next day.

ravijaua

I'm having these symptoms now. I'm about 16 months into my WD. I noticed they started around the time I started cherry juice for sleep, which really worked. I don't know if the juice is causing my headaches or if it's just withdrawal but I am hesitant to give up the cherry juice since it helps me sleep so much.

peng

Different types of "brain zaps".

Maybe relatively trivial, but thought I should put it on record on our magnificently comprehensive website.

Am in slow (<10%/month) withdrawal from Effexor XR.

Not had any of the sharp, lightning-type zaps for several weeks now.

However, this week have had a few damp squibs going off in my nut, if you can imagine it!

Brain zaps, but kindoff muffled, more like swooshes.

Have caught a cold, though, maybe that encourages this new (to me) form of zap.

Best wishes, all.

ikam

Pulsing in the ear - anxiety symptom

Pulsing in the ear, throbbing sound:

Pulsing sound in the ear(s), ache or pain, shooting pains, heart-pulsing like sound, swishing, swirling, throbbing, or beating sound in or seemingly behind the ear. It can occur in one or both ears, and can randomly shift from ear to ear or from one ear to both ears.

This symptom might also feel as though your heart is beating in your ear.

Sometimes this symptom is diagnosed as Pulsatile (throbbing) tinnitus.

Stress and anxiety caused pulsing in the ear sound should NOT be considered a serious medical problem. Many people experience this symptom when stressed and/or overly anxious. In many cases, this symptom subsides on its own when stress and/or anxiety have been reduced and the body has had sufficient time to calm down and recover.

Found this

Hmm, this seems like my symptom... Does it go away?

IrishMonkey92

Does anyone know if squirrel healed?

Bobo32

Thanks for responding Cressida! When did it start for you and any patterns over time? I'm trying to figure if it's more from side effects of the drug or withdrawal. Can you update your signature and share more details of your experience in this regards?

I always thought its lexapro related, but seems you are taking Paxil.

I hope you are doing better today.

Hi lex,

I read you had tinnitus issues after using lexapro. I have the same problem and I only used it for 2 1/2 months. How long since you quit the drug? Did the tinnitus stop?

I think it's more of a lexapro toxicity rather than withdrawal

How did it go for you?

Thanks and good luck

ANR

My symptoms:

Physical - 

Tightness in chest, neck and head. 

Lost a lot of muscles around upper chest, shoulders maybe due to constant tightening and fatigue.

Head pressure, ear pressure, sinus pressure.

On waking in the morning, if I move my head up and down I can hear clicking sounds in the ears mostly right ear. It maybe the eustachian tube or neck bone. Can't say which. 

Very loud tinnitus. Has increased in the last 2 months. 

Bone cracking and grinding. Especially around shoulders and neck. When I sleep on my side my bones grind against each other and make grinding noises. Everything has weakened and atropied. 

Weird pains in my arms and legs around the joints. Happens more in the morning after waking. 

If I force myself to lay down in the morning after waking then my bones hurt. Skull bone at the back, hip bones, shoulder bones. 

Jaw crackling sound. When ever I bite both my jaws make a crackling sound. Like Pop rocks. 

Very shallow breathing. Very slow and incomplete breathing. Difficulty taking a deep breath. Sometimes I stop breathing if I need to focus on something. 

Throat tightness and feeling of something stuck in my throat. Chocking feeling sometimes. 

Nerve snapping (maybe due to weak muscles and joints).

Inability to bear pain. 

Eyes don't move in sync. 

Mental - same as everyone else. 

Why am I even alive. LOL !! These symptoms are so painful and weird that sometimes it's funny. I find dark humor in myself now. Yipee... 

Afnan
On 1/26/2015 at 7:22 AM, LexAnger said:

I am glad to find this thread as I thought I'm the only one with daily head problems ever since my initial attemp tapering. Most complains I saw from others are anxiety, depression, insomnia etc when tapering, while my main symptoms are always physical mostly on head and upper body with pain, numb, pressure, swelling needling, burning and very strange and uncomfortable sensations, it always the worst in morning and usually lasts for good 8 hours gradually lessens in evening. It involves the entire head, face, ear, neck, upper back, shoulders. It also moves around actually I can feel the moves inside my head, ssoooo weirded and uncomfortable I always feel like to cut of my entire head and upper body off.

I hope to hear more on this from others who also have the same issue to help me with a better understanding.

Hi lex

i just saw a post for you and you was writing you have physical symptoms on all your body 

do you still have it ?

i am now six months off the med and each days i have new symptoms 

i have a headache  and dizziness with blurred vision all the day even when I'm laying down can't move or do anything 

i have pain under my chest on both sides and i have pain on my right side it made me think i have something wrong!!

also have pain on fingers and thighs 

did you have the same thing 

did you get better now

LexAnger

Hi Annan,

sorry you you are still struggling!

yes, I have Ben having those all these year during my slow taper, and now off for 4.5 months some days they got even worse.

ppl say month 5 or 6 are still early in WD, so hope they go away eventually over time. Unfortunately we don't know how much time.

when did you started having those symptoms?

lex

Afnan
1 hour ago, LexAnger said:

Hi Annan,

sorry you you are still struggling!

yes, I have Ben having those all these year during my slow taper, and now off for 4.5 months some days they got even worse.

ppl say month 5 or 6 are still early in WD, so hope they go away eventually over time. Unfortunately we don't know how much time.

when did you started having those symptoms?

lex

The pain under chest from two weeks ago

My headache and dizziness it was not constant but from 2 months it get constant 7/24 and get worse especially the dizziness 

sometimes I wake up in the middle of my sleep with so much pain in my head dizziness and zaps I can't describe it but make me feel I will get crazy 

i don't know if i can handle it any more 

IrishMonkey92
8 minutes ago, Afnan said:

The pain under chest from two weeks ago

My headache and dizziness it was not constant but from 2 months it get constant 7/24 and get worse especially the dizziness 

sometimes I wake up in the middle of my sleep with so much pain in my head dizziness and zaps I can't describe it but make me feel I will get crazy 

i don't know if i can handle it any more 

What type of dizziness are you experiencing? Lightheadedness, spinning or rocking/swaying like on a boat? 

Afnan
10 hours ago, IrishMonkey92 said:

What type of dizziness are you experiencing? Lightheadedness, spinning or rocking/swaying like on a boat? 

spinning or rocking/swaying like on a boat with headache and blurred vision 

all the time even when I am lying down:( 

IrishMonkey92
5 hours ago, Afnan said:

spinning or rocking/swaying like on a boat with headache and blurred vision 

all the time even when I am lying down:( 

I have the rocking/swaying like being on a boat! 

It’s like you’re at sea and you’ve waves splashing over your body with great force. I feel it goes away in a car, and then worse when I get out of the car. 

How long have you had it? 

Afnan
1 hour ago, IrishMonkey92 said:

I have the rocking/swaying like being on a boat! 

It’s like you’re at sea and you’ve waves splashing over your body with great force. I feel it goes away in a car, and then worse when I get out of the car. 

How long have you had it? 

From 6 months but it get constant from 3 months with headache 

IrishMonkey92
On 14/02/2018 at 3:48 PM, Afnan said:

From 6 months but it get constant from 3 months with headache 

Do you think it’s withdrawal? What triggered it? Did you go on long car journey or anything? Or did you take a panic attack and then it happened? 

Afnan
On 2/20/2018 at 5:14 PM, IrishMonkey92 said:

Do you think it’s withdrawal? What triggered it? Did you go on long car journey or anything? Or did you take a panic attack and then it happened? 

I don't know 

it happened with no reason 

maybe its WD 

IrishMonkey92
22 hours ago, Afnan said:

I don't know 

it happened with no reason 

maybe its WD 

Have you tried going in a car to see if it goes away? 

Afnan
4 hours ago, IrishMonkey92 said:

No I didn't 

i don't drive 

mirage
7 hours ago, IrishMonkey92 said:

I have this same dizziness. It is with me from the moment my eyes open in the morning and it ends when I fall asleep at night. It is awful. I have to say, it is my worse symptom. I do find that it goes away when I am driving and starts right back up when I stop and get out of the car. 

mirage

Hi everyone. Just wondering if anyone had the terrible experience of all day dizziness and how long it took until it went away? I am also experiencing, an odd feeling in my head. No pain but it feels like my brain is struggling. It's awful!

IrishMonkey92
30 minutes ago, mirage said:

I have this same dizziness. It is with me from the moment my eyes open in the morning and it ends when I fall asleep at night. It is awful. I have to say, it is my worse symptom. I do find that it goes away when I am driving and starts right back up when I stop and get out of the car. 

Very interesting. What’s your history? When did it start, were your stressed, anxious? Did you have a panic attack? Were/are you in a Benzo or antidepressant? 

Do you find it gets worse after getting out of the car, well at least the longer the journey you’re on? Im fine for 2 hours (no increase in severity), after that, it gets worse. 

mirage
8 minutes ago, IrishMonkey92 said:

Very interesting. What’s your history? When did it start, were your stressed, anxious? Did you have a panic attack? Were/are you in a Benzo or antidepressant? 

Do you find it gets worse after getting out of the car, well at least the longer the journey you’re on? Im fine for 2 hours (no increase in severity), after that, it gets worse. 

Wellbutrin 300xl for 8 years. Went off CT in May 2017. Had no knowledge I needed to tapper. I was put on it by my obgyn. I was having some slight stress at the time because I had just lost my mom to cancer and was left to help take care of my dad and an elderly aunt that my mom cared for. Had no anxiety or depression. My dr, said it would help with the overwhelming feelings. My fault for not looking into it before I started it.

My symptoms did not start until around 4 weeks off. So, early June 2017. Started with severe vertigo that lasted about 4 days and then came the severe anxiety. Heart pounding, non stop. High cortisol. Intense sensitivity to light, sound, anything scary or sad. Always dizzy and terrible nausea. My internist said it was severe anxiety and that it is common during menopause. Hmm...I believed that. Was put back on Wellbutrin 150xl. It took away a few symptoms but didn't do much. My weight was dropping fast and I am already small, 115lbs, so I couldn't afford to lose any. Because of that and not being able to sleep, 30mgs of Remeron was added in early September. 

Was having too many symptoms from the Remeron so I decided to wean off of it. Started the wean first week of January. Took a month to wean but it was too fast. Ended up re-instating at 3.25mgs a couple of nights ago. I'm not sure that helped. No benzos. I have not weaned off of the Wellbutrin 150xl yet. My system is just too fragile to do any more. 

The dizziness is just awful and I think that is causing me to have more problems with the nausea. I have never been a fan of carnival rides or spinning so this is no fun! I have not been on any car trips longer than a couple of hours. I do okay. Haven't noticed a difference between that and shorter rides. 

IrishMonkey92
30 minutes ago, mirage said:

Wellbutrin 300xl for 8 years. Went off CT in May 2017. Had no knowledge I needed to tapper. I was put on it by my obgyn. I was having some slight stress at the time because I had just lost my mom to cancer and was left to help take care of my dad and an elderly aunt that my mom cared for. Had no anxiety or depression. My dr, said it would help with the overwhelming feelings. My fault for not looking into it before I started it.

My symptoms did not start until around 4 weeks off. So, early June 2017. Started with severe vertigo that lasted about 4 days and then came the severe anxiety. Heart pounding, non stop. High cortisol. Intense sensitivity to light, sound, anything scary or sad. Always dizzy and terrible nausea. My internist said it was severe anxiety and that it is common during menopause. Hmm...I believed that. Was put back on Wellbutrin 150xl. It took away a few symptoms but didn't do much. My weight was dropping fast and I am already small, 115lbs, so I couldn't afford to lose any. Because of that and not being able to sleep, 30mgs of Remeron was added in early September. 

Was having too many symptoms from the Remeron so I decided to wean off of it. Started the wean first week of January. Took a month to wean but it was too fast. Ended up re-instating at 3.25mgs a couple of nights ago. I'm not sure that helped. No benzos. I have not weaned off of the Wellbutrin 150xl yet. My system is just too fragile to do any more. 

The dizziness is just awful and I think that is causing me to have more problems with the nausea. I have never been a fan of carnival rides or spinning so this is no fun! I have not been on any car trips longer than a couple of hours. I do okay. Haven't noticed a difference between that and shorter rides. 

Sounds very similar to my story. My symptoms didn’t really start till 5 months after. The anxiety was slowly building from the very week I stopped the medication though. I was on Citalopram for 2 years. 

I’ve had the rocking/swaying boat sensation for 2 years unfortunately :( Its my worse and main symptom. 

Mine eases/goes away while in motion (like being in a car). 

mirage
11 minutes ago, IrishMonkey92 said:

Sounds very similar to my story. My symptoms didn’t really start till 5 months after. The anxiety was slowly building from the very week I stopped the medication though. I was on Citalopram for 2 years. 

I’ve had the rocking/swaying boat sensation for 2 years unfortunately :( Its my worse and main symptom. 

Mine eases/goes away while in motion (like being in a car). 

I'm so sorry the dizziness has lasted so long. I am praying mine won't and I will pray for yours to go away as well. I did see a vestibular specialist and I did go to physical therapy for it. I have daily exercises I do. I'm not sure they are working but I am giving it a try. From what I understand, with me, is the vestibular system  is part of our nervous system and it can be injured and it can be strengthened. 

So your symptoms didn't start until 5 months after you stopped the med? What other symptoms did you have and how long did they take to go away?

IrishMonkey92
54 minutes ago, mirage said:

I'm so sorry the dizziness has lasted so long. I am praying mine won't and I will pray for yours to go away as well. I did see a vestibular specialist and I did go to physical therapy for it. I have daily exercises I do. I'm not sure they are working but I am giving it a try. From what I understand, with me, is the vestibular system  is part of our nervous system and it can be injured and it can be strengthened. 

So your symptoms didn't start until 5 months after you stopped the med? What other symptoms did you have and how long did they take to go away?

I’ve submitted an individual account of my struggle to a public petition to the Scottish Parliament recently. It describes my story, I’ll copy and paste:

I was prescribed Citalopram (an SSRI) for 'mild depression' in 2013, after I messed up my first year in University. Who wouldn't be in a bit of a downer after that? Regardless of context, I was labelled with 'depression' when I was compared against a questionnaire conducted by the GP. I often question after this assessment and the labelled attached to me of ‘mental illness’, at what point is it not normal or not simply being human to express emotion at negative life experiences? Is happiness the only acceptable emotion we should hold in ourselves, regardless of circumstances? If I had arrived in and told them my close family relative had died and I was feeling down about it for quite some time, I can guarantee I’d be told I had a mental illness.

This prescription given to me, it was the first port of call, and no counselling was offered. I had several minor reactions to starting the drug - most prominent of those was being unable to get to sleep for 2 weeks. I use to walk the streets of my town in the middle of the night just so I had something to do and to reduce my frustration. Other side effects included a stiff neck, stiff jaw, teeth chattering and inner shaking. I was reassured from my GP that these side effects would take 6 weeks to settle and it would be until then that I would see the full benefits of the drug. I remained on Citalopram for 2 years, within a month of being initially prescribed the drug a doubling of the dose was made by the GP and I remained on that dose, until one day I questioned "Why the hell am I taking this?". It served no purpose. I had no follow up or monitoring from my GP who prescribed it. It was as if they prescribed it to me indefinitely. I merely felt a former shell of myself; emotionally numb for 2 years, with no highs and no lows. What sort of life is that? Unable to feel human emotion – a chemical lobotomy. Upon inspection of what surgical lobotomy consists of, I’m horrified to read a mirrored image of what I had experienced for 2 years – marked reduction in initiative and inhibition, difficulty putting themselves in the position of others due to decreased cognition and detachment from society. Often I felt moments of confusion, and I felt brain dead, I just couldn’t put my finger on words or thoughts as I was once able to. Words just didn’t flow anymore. Further to this comparison of surgical lobotomy, I too developed an enormous appetite and gained considerable weight – 3 stone to be precise. My mental block and severe decline in cognitive ability woke me to the realisation that this was not natural. I was first prescribed this drug at the age of 21, I was mentally sharp and excelled in my studies. At the age of 23, I was struggling to comprehend even the simplest of concepts in my Computer Science degree and this idea filled me with dread that I may have to drop out. I worked extremely hard for my entire life in gaining that privileged position at my university of choice and I was determined to graduate. I came to the realisation that this state of cognitive paralysis was entirely medication induced, the onset fitted appropriately with my prescription history and this subsequently pushed me to wean myself off this drug. I started to wean myself off over 4 weeks. This length of time was the 'slow taper' that many GP's advocate for. I started cutting my pill in half one week at a time until there was nothing left a month later. About 1 to 2 weeks after discontinuation, I was sitting watching TV when all of a sudden I got a horrendous sharp jolt into my head. Almost like a bolt of lightning, or as if a sharp pin needle flew through my head. I called it a sharp shooting pain, even though it wasn't exactly painful. However it was startling, so much so, it made me duck for cover on the floor of my living room. I called the doctor-on-call, they dismissed my concerns and told me it was anxiety. “Take some water and lay down” they said. Little did I know, this was the beginning of an antidepressant withdrawal syndrome which would ruin my life for the next 2.5 years.

I was normal the next day. Then as the days followed, these brain jolts or 'brain zaps' as they're called became frequent and happened about 50 times a day - although subtle. I also was experiencing visual disturbances - a small bright dot would zoom across my vision several times a day, almost like a shooting star with a trail behind it. I knew something was wrong. I contacted my optician to get my eyes checked. They confirmed all was perfect. I then tried to put it to the back of my mind. The symptoms came and went. I then started getting sharp shooting pains in my chest, along with isolated episodes where I felt like I was free-falling or floating momentarily. I visited my GP once again. They told me my heart rate was through the roof. I was ordered an ECG. All seemed fine, however my heart was still racing, for whatever reason. They placed this down to stress. Fatigue crept up on me, and I often felt like I wasn’t able to carry on my day. Strange reactions to substances – coffee and alcohol began out of the blue. I didn’t get the same buzz of coffee, it did nothing. Alcohol began to give me palpitations – I was very tolerant of alcohol all my life and this came as a shock. As an avid gym goer, I attended the gym 4 – 5 days a week. I loved the freshness after a gym session, the endorphins afterwards and the improvements in body composition. I was certainly dedicated to my fitness and often pushed myself to new levels in attempts to give my body a proper workout. However, my capacity to deal with exercise began to diminish. I began to feel very odd sensations in my head when weight lifting. The best way I could describe it is as if my head had tingled momentarily, or clicked inside – which immediately drained me of energy to continue. I just immediately felt odd. I felt the urge to go sit down and didn’t exactly feel ‘well’ when people questioned if I was okay. This sensation happened here and there, and sometimes in the kitchen whilst preparing food. I just didn’t feel right. This sensation would overcome my whole body. The head sensation would flow from the top throughout my body which lead to a queasy stomach, a mild fatigue, momentary dizziness and slight panic. I had to sit down. It passed after a few minutes.

For an entire month I suffered from this extremely irritable sensation in my legs at night - ’Restless Legs Syndrome’. I would haunt me for the next month. It felt like an internal jolt of irritability went down my legs and it made it absolutely impossible to sit still. I had to move them to ease the intense sensation. I had to stand and watch TV while I stomped my feet on the ground to bring some relief. It often kept me awake at night. I thought this was separate to all my other symptoms that I was experiencing progressively over months and much to my ignorance – this was part of a much bigger issue at large. All these random symptoms and isolated incidents were withdrawal symptoms building over the months following my discontinuation of Citalopram.

A total of 5 months after my discontinuation of Citalopram is when all hell broke loose. I woke to a sensation that I was free-falling. I took a very frightening reaction out of the blue - it almost felt like a seizure. It felt like I was shrinking, my eyes lids started fluttering uncontrollably, I had a great sense of impending doom and my heart was pounding out of my chest. I called the ambulance and they took me to A&E. I got checked out and my bloods were perfect. They had no idea why I had took such a reaction. They sent me home. Then my symptoms slowly got worse. I couldn't sleep, I had ‘hypnic jerks’ every time I tried to fall asleep – it made you feel like you were falling off a cliff every time you drifted off to sleep. My stomach was in bits and I couldn’t eat for several days. A terrible sensation began whereby I felt like I was rocking, swaying and bobbing as if I was on a boat. This is my most disturbing symptom and has plagued and haunted me for the past 2.5 years. After several trips to my GP, I have been diagnosed with an array of conditions – Labyrinthitis, Vestibular Neuronitis, Panic Disorder, Lyme Disease, Migraine etc. I have been provided with numerous medications to treat these over the period of two months to no avail. My main complaint was that my brain zaps (sharp jolts to my head) were getting more severe. These brain zaps were of a different nature and force to those felt in first month of withdrawal - they were short lived, subtle and resolved and I never experienced them again till now. I was experiencing at least 100 a day at this point for at least a month. My GP thought nothing of it, they just advised an upping of dosage or to switch to a different medication. This practice is almost like throwing anything at the wall to see if one sticks. I find this a truly disturbing and an extremely careless approach to medical care.

I tried to reinstate the medication, after one of many dismissive and unhelpful GP’s hinted that this may be connection to my discontinuation of Citalopram, but favoured it to be viewed as a ‘return of my original illness’. To make it clear, I have never suffered physical illness in my life, prior to Citalopram. I have never needed antibiotics and I have never even had the flu, only minor colds. This notion of a ‘return of my original illness’ didn’t sit well with me. This reinstatement of Citalopram at 8 months out made me 10 times worse and nearly rendered me physically disabled - I had seemingly developed hypersensitivity to the medication, something which conflicted with my previous ease of use. The reinstatement forced me to be admitted to hospital. They had to monitor me as I had lost the ability to walk. I felt like I was continually free-falling, as if there was no ground beneath me. My head rotated physically in a circular fashion with a heavy force in my head, and my eyes closed involuntarily for every rotation of my head. I was severely confused and felt unable to stay conscious. My body temperature was extremely high, yet I shivered with how bitterly cold I felt – I had rigors. My bowels routinely emptied every 2 hours with preemptive warnings of loud noises originating from my lower abdomen each time. I had to crawl to the bathroom, as I was unable to use my legs. I literally thought this was how I was going to die. It certainly felt like I was dying. All bodily functions were seemingly shutting down. The A&E doctor informed me they were going to test for Leukemia and Lymphoma. My results came back clear. They monitored my heart rate over the day and provided chest X-Rays, with no clear sign of reason behind my symptoms. I was later released as my vitals returned to normal. When these symptoms improved slightly over several days later I felt like I was walking on trampolines, where the whole ground would bounce or quake every time I step foot on the ground. It took 3 months for me to recover back to baseline after that one tablet. I avoided that GP due to their negligence towards my life. I attended another GP in my practice and voiced my concerns of my reaction and how I still felt unbearably sick – so much so that I was still clinging onto dear life. She reassured me trying a different antidepressant wouldn’t result in the same reaction. She believed that I had somehow developed a reaction only to Citalopram – I felt this to be very odd considering my continual ease of use of Citalopram for 2 years. She prescribed Sertraline 200mg. My heart sank when I heard the high dosage. I begged to have it reduced to a much smaller dose. I recommended 50mg. This was refused and I was told “this is the manufactures minimal therapeutic dose in order for it to have any affect”. I was heavily reluctant to take it, I initially refused but she insisted that I would never ‘get better’ if I didn’t resume antidepressant medication treatment. At this point I grew paranoid as to what my GP’s were leaving in the notes to each other - perhaps “severely mentally ill patient in need of psychiatric drug treatment to ease psychosomatic symptoms”. All I wanted was the symptoms to go away, so I felt trapped on what route I should take. I refrained from taking Sertraline for a week and I strongly resisted each time I attempted to take it. I would gag every time I tried to put it near my mouth. My body knew not to consume it, but I felt pressured into doing so. “Trust your doctor, they know best”, that’s all I could say to myself to build up my courage. Unfortunately later that day after I took the tablet, a similar reaction occurred, but to a lesser degree – nonetheless just as serious. I was admitted to hospital once again. This time they realised a trend in symptoms and after assessment of hyper reflexes and other criteria I was diagnosed with Serotonin Syndrome and was told to never take another SSRI again, regardless of what my GP says as it would be a danger to my life. After those two terrifying experiences, I can firmly say I’m scarred for life by the medical profession. 

Upon return to the GP who prescribed me Sertraline, I challenged her belief on why I was taking such a severe reaction and why I was suffering with these symptoms. She mentioned that antidepressant withdrawal lasts no more than 6 weeks and it “would be well out of your system by now. It’s impossible”. Do I trust any GP’s advice now? No. The saying goes – “Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, shame on me”.  I felt endangered and a fear of the medical profession ensued. I’ve also developed a phobia of any prescriptive medication due to the harm it has caused me. I’ve lost my trust in doctors and this is a very serious position to be in, as I may depend on their advice at some point in the future. This is a direct result of medical ignorance of antidepressant withdrawal and subsequent dangers surrounding being in withdrawal that require carefully considered recommendations, such as avoiding reinstatement at such a late stage in withdrawal due to a severe risk of adverse reaction and intensifying withdrawal. Doctors desperately need education in this realm of medicine. It can cost lives. It could have all been avoided.

I'm now crippled with a list of symptoms which I've suffered with for 2.5 years including but not limited to; Tinnitus, severe eye floaters, a rocking/swaying sensation like I'm on a boat, pulsating vision, ‘glitchy’ vision (outlines of objects distort), a feeling that I'm being pushed and pulled by the blood pumping through my veins. Visual disturbances like static, snow and sometimes a bright dot zooms across my vision leaving a trail behind. Visual hallucinations like grass, carpet and patterns undulating, moving, morphing or oscillating. I have a burning/prickling sensation in my hands after I eat certain foods. Chronic muscle twitches. Paresthesia occurs in simple body positions and often can lead to total numbness of a limb or body part. I suffer from memory loss, cognitive decline, inability to concentrate and I regularly lose my train of thought when speaking. I often forget what I’ve just been told a few minutes ago. I must reiterate, I’m only 25. I have adverse reactions to caffeine, alcohol, most OTC medications (even paracetamol and supplements), foods, stress and exercise. All of them heighten my symptoms. Prior to discontinuation I use to drink 2 coffees a day, and was an avid gym-goer - often running on a treadmill 4-5 days a week. Now I can't even jog slightly without increasing my symptoms. Any attempt to lift weights or run results in severe imbalance and visual disturbance - it feels like I’ve an invisible force field right up close to my eyes, causing and odd combination of physical force and visual disturbance. It almost feels like I’m drunk post-exertion. I'm a shell of my former self. I'm in antidepressant withdrawal and not one GP will acknowledge or take ownership for it.

I’ve struggled to leave the house. I have been so crippled with debilitating symptoms for such a long time. I consider myself privileged to have secured employment, after a year into my withdrawal I was just about able to function and cope. The financial burden of not being able to work (and denied benefit) has nearly cost me my opportunity to get a foot onto the property ladder which I had long made plans for but unexpected health issues almost made that plan a very near distant thought. I take each day by day in the workplace. It certainly is a challenge as not one person can see that I’m struggling with a chronic illness. I look fine at face value, but inside I’m dealing with unimaginable symptoms. I guarantee it would test the most stable of people. It truly is a miracle that I haven’t been fired yet.”

mirage

Oh my goodness, I am so very sorry. Your story sounds pretty similar to mine! I agree totally with the fact that we have ups and downs. Good days, bad days and that is totally normal. I wish my obgyn would have told me that. I had just lost my mom and, of course I was sad. The suggestion of the med, was so casual  She told me it had very few side effects and was very safe. I only stayed on it because it was part of my routine, I guess.

I was having some odd nausea and slight dizziness, off and on, during 2016. All checked out fine every time I went to the dr for it. One day it had occurred to me, that perhaps it was the Wellbutrin. I made the decision to stop taking it and to see how I did. That said, I assumed it would be just as easy to go off of it as it was when I went on it. I had zero symptoms when I started taking it and no complications with taking it during those 8 years. I was never told to wean and never warned about any side effects from discontinuation. 

I, too, was very into working out and a runner. I ran 15 to 20 miles a week and lifted weights 3 days as well. I was able to keep myself in top condition. I never suffered any illness prior to this. I am 53, so much older. My heart aches for you. 

I can no longer drink coffee or alcohol. Not that I over indulged in either but I never had problems. In fact, I could drink a cup of coffee at night and not even have sleep issues.

I just saw a new dr who told me that the body has to get back to homeostasis and that, right now while it is so over sensitive, everything will continue to throw it off. I am taking as little a I can. Fish oil, magnesium, vit D, a B multi, vit C, Wellbutrin 150xl and 3.5mg of remeron.  

During the months of June 2017 through November 2017, I had very low white cell and lymphocyte counts. Along with that, hypothyroidism and high cortisol. My immune and endocrine systems were completely compromised by this. In November, I finally got a more normal blood panel. Still high cortisol but from what I'm understanding, that can hang around for a long time. 

WE HAVE TO BELIEVE WE WILL BE WELL AGAIN! There are reasons things happen. One can't question why. It is too hard to find that answer. But, you can't look back. Only forward. I think that as fast as we fell apart, perhaps the brain and nervous system can just as quickly, one day, come back to normal.

IrishMonkey92
12 minutes ago, mirage said:

Oh my goodness, I am so very sorry. Your story sounds pretty similar to mine! I agree totally with the fact that we have ups and downs. Good days, bad days and that is totally normal. I wish my obgyn would have told me that. I had just lost my mom and, of course I was sad. The suggestion of the med, was so casual  She told me it had very few side effects and was very safe. I only stayed on it because it was part of my routine, I guess.

I was having some odd nausea and slight dizziness, off and on, during 2016. All checked out fine every time I went to the dr for it. One day it had occurred to me, that perhaps it was the Wellbutrin. I made the decision to stop taking it and to see how I did. That said, I assumed it would be just as easy to go off of it as it was when I went on it. I had zero symptoms when I started taking it and no complications with taking it during those 8 years. I was never told to wean and never warned about any side effects from discontinuation. 

I, too, was very into working out and a runner. I ran 15 to 20 miles a week and lifted weights 3 days as well. I was able to keep myself in top condition. I never suffered any illness prior to this. I am 53, so much older. My heart aches for you. 

I can no longer drink coffee or alcohol. Not that I over indulged in either but I never had problems. In fact, I could drink a cup of coffee at night and not even have sleep issues.

I just saw a new dr who told me that the body has to get back to homeostasis and that, right now while it is so over sensitive, everything will continue to throw it off. I am taking as little a I can. Fish oil, magnesium, vit D, a B multi, vit C, Wellbutrin 150xl and 3.5mg of remeron.  

During the months of June 2017 through November 2017, I had very low white cell and lymphocyte counts. Along with that, hypothyroidism and high cortisol. My immune and endocrine systems were completely compromised by this. In November, I finally got a more normal blood panel. Still high cortisol but from what I'm understanding, that can hang around for a long time. 

WE HAVE TO BELIEVE WE WILL BE WELL AGAIN! There are reasons things happen. One can't question why. It is too hard to find that answer. But, you can't look back. Only forward. I think that as fast as we fell apart, perhaps the brain and nervous system can just as quickly, one day, come back to normal.

I’ve lost a lot of hope. My life is on hold and I fear my youth has been robbed of me due to this. I’m coming 26 soon. Nearly 3 years this has been going on. 

Ive heard so many bad stories, it’s hard to remain optimistic about recovery :(

mirage
Just now, IrishMonkey92 said:

I’ve lost a lot of hope. My life is on hold and I fear my youth has been robbed of me due to this. I’m coming 26 soon. Nearly 3 years this has been going on. 

Ive heard so many bad stories, it’s hard to remain optimistic about recovery :(

It is one day at a time. From all I have researched, the body has an amazing way of recovering. This illness is very, VERY slow. I have a son exactly your age and I would not let him give up. I am here to cheer you on. Perhaps that is why we connected? 

I have been battling for a short time compared to you, 8 months. There are days when I cry and days when I am as strong as a mountain. I plug through each day. Trying not to complain and trying to pretend I feel...okay. I have not yet, had even a partial day of good. It has to come. The mind is a strong and powerful tool. Try and keep your thoughts as positive as you can.