SurvivingAntidepressants.org is temporarily closed to new registrations until 1 April ×

Head noise and other symptoms in the head

squirrel

I also have these symptoms have to be the worst for me . This is a great thread at least we no were not alone.

Long time anxiety sufferer

Took faverine 50mg 2009 for 7 months 

Worked great  came off no problems.

End of 2012  start suffering bad anxiety  some depersonalization due to work stress and anxious thinking .

Took 50mg faverine within couple days anxiety through the roof  fear spasms in stomach and dp . 

Doctor put me on 60mg cymbalta felt very unwell  came off after 3 weeks  nervous system went haywire fell into a horrible state . Not well for years .

Start taking 1mg xanax 2016 for 2 years weaned onto valium .

Faverine 100mg  January 2020 

Weaned down to 12.5 over a year . 

I also have these symptoms have to be the worst for me . This is a great thread at least we no were not alone.

That is a comfort . What symptoms exactly are you getting ?

Paxil 10mg 21/2 years to June 2012 after a 2 month taper

• 3 weeks later...

I have been getting this new symptom that I feel this burning sensation in my head!?!

I have had the burning on my skin but this has been happening since coming off the zoloft.

Friday will be 4 months off and I am sicker now then ever......shouldn't I be feeling better some time soon

I have already established that going back on is NOT an option

I have to be off all psych meds before I get any older and end up with dementia

so this burning in my head...do I need to see neurologist? this is scaring me bad

also extreme woozy/off balanced almost all day

2006-2012 50mgs zoloft
skipped doses every other day for a year and started having anxiety again in March 2012
back on at 50mgs Dec 2013
started taper from benzos April 2014 per Heather Ashton method (c/o from kpin to diazepam)
March 2015 started 1.25mg lorazepam
Tapered off Zoloft in May off in 4 weeks...5 weeks later crashing AGAIN. Dr wanted to start Gabapentin tried it 7 days
Symptoms :burning eyes, anxiety, pounding heart, dizzy, strange head feeling, internal shaking, Overall UNWELL
Taking lorazepam 1.25mg daily

• Moderator Emeritus

Many people experience burning sensations and all kinds of head symptoms, while going through withdrawal, have a look through this topic:

Head noise and other symptoms in the head *topics merged

A 4 week taper after being on Zoloft for 6 years is much too fast, you may as well have gone CT. So being 4 months off is still early days. I did a 2 month taper, after being on SSRIs for 13 years and got progressively worse over the next year.

When you get your benzo dosing even, that may help. Look through the topics in this forum to get some ideas for how to manage as you are recovering. Especially read the topics pinned at the top.

Edited by Petunia
updated

I'm not a doctor.  My comments are not medical advise. These are my opinions based on my own experience and what I've learned. Please discuss your situation with a medical practitioner who has knowledge of tapering and withdrawal...if you are lucky enough to find one.

My Introduction Thread

Full Drug and Withdrawal History

Brief Summary

Several SSRIs for 13 years starting 1997 (for mild to moderate partly situational anxiety) Xanax PRN ~ Various other drugs over the years for side effects

2 month 'taper' off Lexapro 2010

Short acute withdrawal, followed by 2 -3 months of improvement then delayed protracted withdrawal

DX ADHD followed by several years of stimulants and other drugs trying to manage increasing symptoms

Failed reinstatement of Lexapro and trial of Prozac (became suicidal)

May 2013 Found SA, learned about withdrawal, stopped taking drugs...healing begins.

Protracted withdrawal, with a very sensitized nervous system, slowly recovering as time passes

Supplements which have helped: Vitamin C, Magnesium, Taurine

Bad reactions: Many supplements but mostly fish oil and Vitamin D

June 2016 - Started daily juicing, mostly vegetables and lots of greens.

Aug 2016 - Oct 2016 Best window ever, felt almost completely recovered

Oct 2016 -Symptoms returned - bad days and less bad days.

April 2018 - No windows, but significant improvement, it feels like permanent full recovery is close.

VIDEO: Where did the chemical imbalance theory come from?

VIDEO: How are psychiatric diagnoses made?

VIDEO: Why do psychiatric drugs have withdrawal syndromes?

VIDEO: Can psychiatric drugs cause long-lasting negative effects?

VIDEO: Dr. Claire Weekes

• 2 months later...

Before I fall asleep my brain literally makes loud noises and crunching noises - like my brain is literally "adjusting" - sometimes there's a very loud audible crack ,followed by a slight jolting of my head.

This progressed in the following fashion from 18 months ago until now:

Constant pain in my face and skull---->  pain + lots of involuntary twitching before going to bed/relaxing ------------>  pain+involutary twitching + loud audible cracks and grinding noises and feelings in my skull when trying to fall asleep.

Throughout this progression, my pain has gotten less severe, and the cracking/grinding/twitching has gotten a bit worse or stayed steady.  It's like a fireworks show in my brain when I'm trying to fall asleep - but it's a comforting feeling because I know that it means I'm about to fall asleep and get a break from the conscious experience.

I have only read 1 other anecdotal story of popping/grinding/clicking noises in the brain - so now this is #2.

• Moderator Emeritus

Somewhere on the site, (sorry but can't remember where and don't have time to look for it) there is a topic on hyper awareness where we become acutely aware of our bodily functions and can feel/hear everything that our bodies are doing when normally we don't notice. 

It can be alarming for some people, so its good that you feel comforted by it. 

**I am not a medical professional, if in doubt please consult a doctor with withdrawal knowledge.

Different drugs occasionally (mostly benzos) 1976 - 1981 (no problem)

1993 - 2002 in and out of hospital. every type of drug + ECT. Staring with seroxat

2002  effexor. 

Tapered  March 2012 to March 2013, ending with 5 beads.

Withdrawal April 2013 . Reinstated 5 beads reduced to 4 beads May 2013

Restarted taper  Nov 2013  

OFF EFFEXOR Feb 2015    :D 

Tapered atenolol and omeprazole Dec 2013 - May 2014

Tapering tramadol, Feb 2015 100mg , March 2015 50mg  

July 2017 30mg.  May 15 2018 25mg

Taking fish oil, magnesium, B12, folic acid, bilberry eyebright for eye pressure. 

My story http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/4199-hello-mammap-checking-in/page-33

Lesson learned, slow down taper at lower doses. Taper no more than 10% of CURRENT dose if possible

Yeah, I agree that we are more aware during withdrawal - but what's going on with me would always be noticable even if I wasn't in this condition.  I'll have a loud "CRACK" in my frontal lobe region of the brain and my whole head will jolt as I'm trying to go to bed.

That never ever happened before.

I suspect that I have a bunch of scar tissue around my trigeminal nerve and it's adjusting when I try to fall asleep or something.

IDK, it's rather concerning though - definitely points to the fact that my body has been significantly altered by these dangerous drugs.

this is not TMJ either - the noises and crunches are coming from inside my forehead.

Before I fall asleep my brain literally makes loud noises and crunching noises - like my brain is literally "adjusting" - sometimes there's a very loud audible crack ,followed by a slight jolting of my head.

This progressed in the following fashion from 18 months ago until now:

Constant pain in my face and skull---->  pain + lots of involuntary twitching before going to bed/relaxing ------------>  pain+involutary twitching + loud audible cracks and grinding noises and feelings in my skull when trying to fall asleep.

Throughout this progression, my pain has gotten less severe, and the cracking/grinding/twitching has gotten a bit worse or stayed steady.  It's like a fireworks show in my brain when I'm trying to fall asleep - but it's a comforting feeling because I know that it means I'm about to fall asleep and get a break from the conscious experience.

I have only read 1 other anecdotal story of popping/grinding/clicking noises in the brain - so now this is #2.

My Gosh! So heartbreaking for what you have suffered! I am with you for all the pain symptoms for all t.hese years since tapering d I'm still on the poison! Firework is also how I feel and explain to others, very painful! I can't imagine the torture of the loud noise!

Drug free Sep. 23 2017

2009 Mar.: lexapro 10mg for headache for 2 weeks.

2009-2012: on and off 1/4 to 1/3 of 10mg

2012 June--2013 Jan,: 1/4-1/3 of 10mg generic, bad jaw pain

2013 Jan-Mar: 10 mg generic. severe jaw and head pain;

2013 Mar--Aug. started tapering (liquid ever since) from 10 to 5 (one step) then gradually down to 2.25 mg by July. first ever panic attack, severe head/jaw pain

2013 Aug.: back to 2.75 mg; Nov: back to Brand Lex. 2.75mg -- 3mg,

2014 June: stopped PPI, head pressure/numbness. up-dosed 4.5mg, severe reaction mental symptoms added on

2014 Aug--2015 Aug: Micro taper down to 3.2mg, .025mg (<1%) cut holding 2-3 weeks.

2015 Aug 15th, Accidental one dose of 4.2mg. worsening brain non-functional, swollen head, body, coma like, DR

2016 Feb., started dosing 10am through 11 pm everyday 2/13--3.2mg, 3/15-- 2.9mg, 4/19-- 2.6mg, 6/26--2.2mg, 7/22 --1.9mg, 8/16--1.8mg,8/31--1.7m g, 9/13--1.6mg, 9/27--1.5mg, 10/8--1.4mg, 10/14--1.3mg, 11/1--1.2mg, 11/29--1.1mg, 12/12--1mg, 12/22--0.9mg

2017: 1/7--0.8mg, 1/15--0.7mg, 1/17--0.6mg, 1/20--0.52, 1/21--0.4mg, 1/22--0.26, 1/23--0.2, 2/13--0.13mg, 2/20--0.06mg, 3/18--0.13mg, 6/1--0.12mg, 7/6--0.1mg, 7/14--0.08mg, 8/17--0.04mg, 8/20--0.03mg, 8/28--0.02mg, 9/6--0.0205mg, 9/8--0.02mg, 9/17--0.015mg, 9/20--0.01mg, 9/21--0.0048mg, 9/22--0.0001mg,

Actually, this is my favorite symptom because it's a sign that i'm getting better.  When ever I hear the crackling noises, I know I'm going to successfully fall asleep and feel like a somewhat normal human being again the next day.

• 10 months later...

I'm having these symptoms now. I'm about 16 months into my WD. I noticed they started around the time I started cherry juice for sleep, which really worked. I don't know if the juice is causing my headaches or if it's just withdrawal but I am hesitant to give up the cherry juice since it helps me sleep so much.

Update 8122017

Zoloft  2004. Effexor 2004-2006. Paxil 20 mg for 2006-2010. Ct 2010, bad effects back on, stable by 2011.  Poopout June 2015. Zoloft with paxil for a while, stopped Zoloft.

Sep 2016 paxil 16.2 mg alone(295 mg pill weight). Started tapering 11/14/2016.

Took off 1 mg pill weight(total pill weight of 20 mg = 365 mg and 16 mg is 295 mg). Went down 1 mg per week of pill weight so down to 291 mg by end of November. Starting getting anxiety issues starting since 12/10/2016. Hoping that a faster taper will help.

12/14/2016 - 15.95 mg (291 mg pill weight)

12/16/2016 -  15.83 mg (289 mg pill weight)

12/23/2016 -  15.67 (286 mg pill weight)

8/12/2017 -  15.34 (280 mg pill weight)

• 3 weeks later...

Different types of "brain zaps".

Maybe relatively trivial, but thought I should put it on record on our magnificently comprehensive website.

Am in slow (<10%/month) withdrawal from Effexor XR.

Not had any of the sharp, lightning-type zaps for several weeks now.

However, this week have had a few damp squibs going off in my nut, if you can imagine it!

Brain zaps, but kindoff muffled, more like swooshes.

Have caught a cold, though, maybe that encourages this new (to me) form of zap.

Best wishes, all.

Born 1945. 

1999 - First Effexor/Venlafaxine

2016 Withdrawal research. Effexor.  13Jul - 212.5mg;  6Aug - 200.0mg;  24Aug - 187.5mg;  13Sep - 175.0mg;  3Oct - 162.5mg;  26Oct - 150mg 

2017  9Jan - 150.00mg;  23Mar - 137.50mg;  24Apr - 125.00mg;  31May - 112.50mg holding;  3Sep - 100.00mg;  20Sep - 93.75mg;  20Oct - 87.5mg;  12Nov - 81.25mg;  13 Dec - 75.00mg

2018  18Jan - 69.1mg; 16Feb - 62.5mg; 16March - 57.5mg (-8%); 22Apr - 56.3mg(-2%); CRASHED - Updose 29May - 62.5mg; Updose - 1Jul - 75.0mg. Updose - 2Aug - 87.5mg. Updose - 27Aug - 100.0mg. Updose - 11Oct 112.5mg. Updose - 6Nov 125.00mg

2019 Updoses 19 Jan - 150.0mg. 1April - 162.5mg. 24 April - Feeling better - doing tasks, getting outside.  7 May - usual depression questionnaire gives "probably no depression" result.

Supps/Vits  Omega 3;  Chelated Magnesium;  Prebiotics/Probiotics, Vit D3. 

• 3 months later...

Pulsing in the ear - anxiety symptom

Pulsing in the ear, throbbing sound:

Pulsing sound in the ear(s), ache or pain, shooting pains, heart-pulsing like sound, swishing, swirling, throbbing, or beating sound in or seemingly behind the ear. It can occur in one or both ears, and can randomly shift from ear to ear or from one ear to both ears.

This symptom might also feel as though your heart is beating in your ear.

Sometimes this symptom is diagnosed as Pulsatile (throbbing) tinnitus.

Stress and anxiety caused pulsing in the ear sound should NOT be considered a serious medical problem. Many people experience this symptom when stressed and/or overly anxious. In many cases, this symptom subsides on its own when stress and/or anxiety have been reduced and the body has had sufficient time to calm down and recover.

Found this

Hmm, this seems like my symptom... Does it go away?

- 12.03.2021- doxepin- 50mg

- 6.11.2020- 75mg

- 16.10.2020- 100mg

- 30.09.2020- doxepin- 125mg

- May 2020, omeprazole 40mg switched to esomeprazole 20mg

- 2012 re-started Doxepin 75mg, evening. Increased to 150mg

- 2012, Atenolol 25mg, twice a day

- 2016, Low dose of HRT in evening, Sandrena and Utrogestan 

- Long term of Nasal spray Otrivine

- 2012, PPI Omeprazole 40mg-evening

24.10.2014- Started ESCITALOPRAM-first 5mg and then 10mg; due to the adverse symptoms reduced on 5.01.2015- Escitalopram- 2.5mg 22.07.2016- re-started reduction by 1% at a time. Completed tappering on  19.03.2020 😇

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Thanks for responding Cressida! When did it start for you and any patterns over time? I'm trying to figure if it's more from side effects of the drug or withdrawal. Can you update your signature and share more details of your experience in this regards?

I always thought its lexapro related, but seems you are taking Paxil.

I hope you are doing better today.

Hi lex,

I read you had tinnitus issues after using lexapro. I have the same problem and I only used it for 2 1/2 months. How long since you quit the drug? Did the tinnitus stop?

I think it's more of a lexapro toxicity rather than withdrawal

How did it go for you?

Thanks and good luck

2004-2007 paxil

2015- zoloft 3 months zyprexa 3 months lexapro 3 months xanax

Med free since Feb 28th 2017

Mostly experiencing PSSD

• 5 months later...

My symptoms:

Physical - 

Tightness in chest, neck and head. 

Lost a lot of muscles around upper chest, shoulders maybe due to constant tightening and fatigue.

Head pressure, ear pressure, sinus pressure.

On waking in the morning, if I move my head up and down I can hear clicking sounds in the ears mostly right ear. It maybe the eustachian tube or neck bone. Can't say which. 

Very loud tinnitus. Has increased in the last 2 months. 

Bone cracking and grinding. Especially around shoulders and neck. When I sleep on my side my bones grind against each other and make grinding noises. Everything has weakened and atropied. 

Weird pains in my arms and legs around the joints. Happens more in the morning after waking. 

If I force myself to lay down in the morning after waking then my bones hurt. Skull bone at the back, hip bones, shoulder bones. 

Jaw crackling sound. When ever I bite both my jaws make a crackling sound. Like Pop rocks. 

Very shallow breathing. Very slow and incomplete breathing. Difficulty taking a deep breath. Sometimes I stop breathing if I need to focus on something. 

Throat tightness and feeling of something stuck in my throat. Chocking feeling sometimes. 

Nerve snapping (maybe due to weak muscles and joints).

Inability to bear pain. 

Eyes don't move in sync. 

Mental - same as everyone else. 

Why am I even alive. LOL !! These symptoms are so painful and weird that sometimes it's funny. I find dark humor in myself now. Yipee... 

Aug 2010 - Diagnosed with major depression with melancholic features
Aug to Nov 2010 - Sertraline 200 mg + Clonazepam 0.5 mg (per day); felt bliss
Dec 2010 - Quit cold turkey thinking I recovered; range of withdrawal including OCD, Hallucinations, Depersonalization, Anxiety
Mar 2011 to May 2013 - Went back to doc, experiments with different antipsychotics, SSRIs and nothing worked; Zombie
May 2013 to Aug 2015 - Only on Escitalopram 10 mg; tapered and finally off in Aug 2015 and ever since; slowly recovering
Nov 2016 to Apr 2017 - Tried DHA supplement and caused adverse reaction; Weird physical symptoms and Hypochondria  

• 4 months later...
On 1/26/2015 at 7:22 AM, LexAnger said:

I am glad to find this thread as I thought I'm the only one with daily head problems ever since my initial attemp tapering. Most complains I saw from others are anxiety, depression, insomnia etc when tapering, while my main symptoms are always physical mostly on head and upper body with pain, numb, pressure, swelling needling, burning and very strange and uncomfortable sensations, it always the worst in morning and usually lasts for good 8 hours gradually lessens in evening. It involves the entire head, face, ear, neck, upper back, shoulders. It also moves around actually I can feel the moves inside my head, ssoooo weirded and uncomfortable I always feel like to cut of my entire head and upper body off.

I hope to hear more on this from others who also have the same issue to help me with a better understanding.

Hi lex

i just saw a post for you and you was writing you have physical symptoms on all your body 

do you still have it ?

i am now six months off the med and each days i have new symptoms 

i have a headache  and dizziness with blurred vision all the day even when I'm laying down can't move or do anything 

i have pain under my chest on both sides and i have pain on my right side it made me think i have something wrong!!

also have pain on fingers and thighs 

did you have the same thing 

did you get better now

Prozac

60 mg  2010 - March, 2017

40 mg  April - June

20 mg  June - July

20 mg every other day July - August, 2017

Hi Annan,

sorry you you are still struggling!

yes, I have Ben having those all these year during my slow taper, and now off for 4.5 months some days they got even worse.

ppl say month 5 or 6 are still early in WD, so hope they go away eventually over time. Unfortunately we don't know how much time.

when did you started having those symptoms?

lex

Drug free Sep. 23 2017

2009 Mar.: lexapro 10mg for headache for 2 weeks.

2009-2012: on and off 1/4 to 1/3 of 10mg

2012 June--2013 Jan,: 1/4-1/3 of 10mg generic, bad jaw pain

2013 Jan-Mar: 10 mg generic. severe jaw and head pain;

2013 Mar--Aug. started tapering (liquid ever since) from 10 to 5 (one step) then gradually down to 2.25 mg by July. first ever panic attack, severe head/jaw pain

2013 Aug.: back to 2.75 mg; Nov: back to Brand Lex. 2.75mg -- 3mg,

2014 June: stopped PPI, head pressure/numbness. up-dosed 4.5mg, severe reaction mental symptoms added on

2014 Aug--2015 Aug: Micro taper down to 3.2mg, .025mg (<1%) cut holding 2-3 weeks.

2015 Aug 15th, Accidental one dose of 4.2mg. worsening brain non-functional, swollen head, body, coma like, DR

2016 Feb., started dosing 10am through 11 pm everyday 2/13--3.2mg, 3/15-- 2.9mg, 4/19-- 2.6mg, 6/26--2.2mg, 7/22 --1.9mg, 8/16--1.8mg,8/31--1.7m g, 9/13--1.6mg, 9/27--1.5mg, 10/8--1.4mg, 10/14--1.3mg, 11/1--1.2mg, 11/29--1.1mg, 12/12--1mg, 12/22--0.9mg

2017: 1/7--0.8mg, 1/15--0.7mg, 1/17--0.6mg, 1/20--0.52, 1/21--0.4mg, 1/22--0.26, 1/23--0.2, 2/13--0.13mg, 2/20--0.06mg, 3/18--0.13mg, 6/1--0.12mg, 7/6--0.1mg, 7/14--0.08mg, 8/17--0.04mg, 8/20--0.03mg, 8/28--0.02mg, 9/6--0.0205mg, 9/8--0.02mg, 9/17--0.015mg, 9/20--0.01mg, 9/21--0.0048mg, 9/22--0.0001mg,

1 hour ago, LexAnger said:

Hi Annan,

sorry you you are still struggling!

yes, I have Ben having those all these year during my slow taper, and now off for 4.5 months some days they got even worse.

ppl say month 5 or 6 are still early in WD, so hope they go away eventually over time. Unfortunately we don't know how much time.

when did you started having those symptoms?

lex

The pain under chest from two weeks ago

My headache and dizziness it was not constant but from 2 months it get constant 7/24 and get worse especially the dizziness 

sometimes I wake up in the middle of my sleep with so much pain in my head dizziness and zaps I can't describe it but make me feel I will get crazy 

i don't know if i can handle it any more 

Prozac

40 mg  April - June

20 mg  June - July

8 minutes ago, Afnan said:

The pain under chest from two weeks ago

My headache and dizziness it was not constant but from 2 months it get constant 7/24 and get worse especially the dizziness 

sometimes I wake up in the middle of my sleep with so much pain in my head dizziness and zaps I can't describe it but make me feel I will get crazy 

i don't know if i can handle it any more 

What type of dizziness are you experiencing? Lightheadedness, spinning or rocking/swaying like on a boat? 

10 hours ago, IrishMonkey92 said:

What type of dizziness are you experiencing? Lightheadedness, spinning or rocking/swaying like on a boat? 

spinning or rocking/swaying like on a boat with headache and blurred vision 

all the time even when I am lying down:( 

Prozac

40 mg  April - June

20 mg  June - July

5 hours ago, Afnan said:

I have the rocking/swaying like being on a boat! 

It’s like you’re at sea and you’ve waves splashing over your body with great force. I feel it goes away in a car, and then worse when I get out of the car. 

How long have you had it? 

1 hour ago, IrishMonkey92 said:

I have the rocking/swaying like being on a boat! 

It’s like you’re at sea and you’ve waves splashing over your body with great force. I feel it goes away in a car, and then worse when I get out of the car. 

How long have you had it? 

From 6 months but it get constant from 3 months with headache 

Prozac

40 mg  April - June

20 mg  June - July

On 14/02/2018 at 3:48 PM, Afnan said:

From 6 months but it get constant from 3 months with headache 

Do you think it’s withdrawal? What triggered it? Did you go on long car journey or anything? Or did you take a panic attack and then it happened? 

On 2/20/2018 at 5:14 PM, IrishMonkey92 said:

Do you think it’s withdrawal? What triggered it? Did you go on long car journey or anything? Or did you take a panic attack and then it happened? 

I don't know 

it happened with no reason 

maybe its WD 

Prozac

40 mg  April - June

20 mg  June - July

22 hours ago, Afnan said:

I don't know 

it happened with no reason 

maybe its WD 

Have you tried going in a car to see if it goes away? 

4 hours ago, IrishMonkey92 said:

No I didn't 

i don't drive 

Prozac

40 mg  April - June

20 mg  June - July

7 hours ago, IrishMonkey92 said:

I have this same dizziness. It is with me from the moment my eyes open in the morning and it ends when I fall asleep at night. It is awful. I have to say, it is my worse symptom. I do find that it goes away when I am driving and starts right back up when I stop and get out of the car. 

Started Wellbutrin 300xl mid July, 2009. Stopped Wellbutrin 300xl cold turkey May 8, 2017

Started having symptoms started June 2, 2017. Started Wellbutrin 150xl July 7, 2017

Started Remeron 15mg August 15, 2017. Increased Remeron to 30mg October 4, 2017

Increased Wellbutrin to 300xl November 24, 2017. Lowered Wellbutrin 300xl back to 150xl January 8, 2018

Started weaning off of Remeron 30mg. Cut to 22.25mg January 11, 2018

Cut Remeron to 15mg January 18, 2018 Cut Remeron to 7.5mg January 25, 2018

Cut Remeron to 3.5mg January 30,2018. Stopped taking Remeron February 1, 2018

Currently taking: Fish Oil, Magnesium, Calcium, Vit D, Progesterone,

Hormone Replacement Pellets-Estrogen Testosterone 

Hi everyone. Just wondering if anyone had the terrible experience of all day dizziness and how long it took until it went away? I am also experiencing, an odd feeling in my head. No pain but it feels like my brain is struggling. It's awful!

Started Wellbutrin 300xl mid July, 2009. Stopped Wellbutrin 300xl cold turkey May 8, 2017

Started having symptoms started June 2, 2017. Started Wellbutrin 150xl July 7, 2017

Increased Wellbutrin to 300xl November 24, 2017. Lowered Wellbutrin 300xl back to 150xl January 8, 2018

30 minutes ago, mirage said:

I have this same dizziness. It is with me from the moment my eyes open in the morning and it ends when I fall asleep at night. It is awful. I have to say, it is my worse symptom. I do find that it goes away when I am driving and starts right back up when I stop and get out of the car. 

Very interesting. What’s your history? When did it start, were your stressed, anxious? Did you have a panic attack? Were/are you in a Benzo or antidepressant? 

Do you find it gets worse after getting out of the car, well at least the longer the journey you’re on? Im fine for 2 hours (no increase in severity), after that, it gets worse. 

8 minutes ago, IrishMonkey92 said:

Very interesting. What’s your history? When did it start, were your stressed, anxious? Did you have a panic attack? Were/are you in a Benzo or antidepressant? 

Do you find it gets worse after getting out of the car, well at least the longer the journey you’re on? Im fine for 2 hours (no increase in severity), after that, it gets worse. 

Wellbutrin 300xl for 8 years. Went off CT in May 2017. Had no knowledge I needed to tapper. I was put on it by my obgyn. I was having some slight stress at the time because I had just lost my mom to cancer and was left to help take care of my dad and an elderly aunt that my mom cared for. Had no anxiety or depression. My dr, said it would help with the overwhelming feelings. My fault for not looking into it before I started it.

My symptoms did not start until around 4 weeks off. So, early June 2017. Started with severe vertigo that lasted about 4 days and then came the severe anxiety. Heart pounding, non stop. High cortisol. Intense sensitivity to light, sound, anything scary or sad. Always dizzy and terrible nausea. My internist said it was severe anxiety and that it is common during menopause. Hmm...I believed that. Was put back on Wellbutrin 150xl. It took away a few symptoms but didn't do much. My weight was dropping fast and I am already small, 115lbs, so I couldn't afford to lose any. Because of that and not being able to sleep, 30mgs of Remeron was added in early September. 

Was having too many symptoms from the Remeron so I decided to wean off of it. Started the wean first week of January. Took a month to wean but it was too fast. Ended up re-instating at 3.25mgs a couple of nights ago. I'm not sure that helped. No benzos. I have not weaned off of the Wellbutrin 150xl yet. My system is just too fragile to do any more. 

The dizziness is just awful and I think that is causing me to have more problems with the nausea. I have never been a fan of carnival rides or spinning so this is no fun! I have not been on any car trips longer than a couple of hours. I do okay. Haven't noticed a difference between that and shorter rides. 

30 minutes ago, mirage said:

Wellbutrin 300xl for 8 years. Went off CT in May 2017. Had no knowledge I needed to tapper. I was put on it by my obgyn. I was having some slight stress at the time because I had just lost my mom to cancer and was left to help take care of my dad and an elderly aunt that my mom cared for. Had no anxiety or depression. My dr, said it would help with the overwhelming feelings. My fault for not looking into it before I started it.

My symptoms did not start until around 4 weeks off. So, early June 2017. Started with severe vertigo that lasted about 4 days and then came the severe anxiety. Heart pounding, non stop. High cortisol. Intense sensitivity to light, sound, anything scary or sad. Always dizzy and terrible nausea. My internist said it was severe anxiety and that it is common during menopause. Hmm...I believed that. Was put back on Wellbutrin 150xl. It took away a few symptoms but didn't do much. My weight was dropping fast and I am already small, 115lbs, so I couldn't afford to lose any. Because of that and not being able to sleep, 30mgs of Remeron was added in early September. 

Was having too many symptoms from the Remeron so I decided to wean off of it. Started the wean first week of January. Took a month to wean but it was too fast. Ended up re-instating at 3.25mgs a couple of nights ago. I'm not sure that helped. No benzos. I have not weaned off of the Wellbutrin 150xl yet. My system is just too fragile to do any more. 

The dizziness is just awful and I think that is causing me to have more problems with the nausea. I have never been a fan of carnival rides or spinning so this is no fun! I have not been on any car trips longer than a couple of hours. I do okay. Haven't noticed a difference between that and shorter rides. 

Sounds very similar to my story. My symptoms didn’t really start till 5 months after. The anxiety was slowly building from the very week I stopped the medication though. I was on Citalopram for 2 years. 

I’ve had the rocking/swaying boat sensation for 2 years unfortunately :( Its my worse and main symptom. 

Mine eases/goes away while in motion (like being in a car). 

11 minutes ago, IrishMonkey92 said:

Sounds very similar to my story. My symptoms didn’t really start till 5 months after. The anxiety was slowly building from the very week I stopped the medication though. I was on Citalopram for 2 years. 

I’ve had the rocking/swaying boat sensation for 2 years unfortunately :( Its my worse and main symptom. 

Mine eases/goes away while in motion (like being in a car). 

I'm so sorry the dizziness has lasted so long. I am praying mine won't and I will pray for yours to go away as well. I did see a vestibular specialist and I did go to physical therapy for it. I have daily exercises I do. I'm not sure they are working but I am giving it a try. From what I understand, with me, is the vestibular system  is part of our nervous system and it can be injured and it can be strengthened. 

So your symptoms didn't start until 5 months after you stopped the med? What other symptoms did you have and how long did they take to go away?

• 1 year later...
On 2/14/2018 at 3:03 AM, Afnan said:

i had severe vertigo in the summer of 2018 and they said it was Multiple Sclerosis related. ..but guess what, it went away along with all the other supposed MS symptoms that i had suffered when my dose of qetiapine got low enough after i began tapering in oct 2017! it was so scary, i went to neurologists and eye ear nose n throat specialists and internists terying to find the cause and relief, they doped me with antivertigo meds which made me more dizzy lol 

it went away on its own but was most severe in the heat. 

i hope you found relief!

UPDATED: 9/01/2019

Quetiapine:  2000-2005: 50mg;  2005: 100mg;   2008: 400mg;   2011: 100mg;   2014: 300mg;   2014-2017: 400mg;  7/2018-2/2019: 75mg;  1/2019: 68.75mg;  4/2019: completed switch to 3x daily dosing (25mg 8AM, 18.75mg 4PM, 25mg MIDNITE);  5/2019: 68.75mg (switched to all liquid taper using HUMCO suspension agent)  8/2019: 61mg       

Clonazepam:  2008: 2mg then 0.25mg;   2012: 0.5mg;   2014: 1mg;   4/2019: 1mg ~completed switch to 3x daily dosing (0.25mg 8AM, 0.25mg 2PM, 0.5mg 8PM);   8/2019: 1mg (switched to all liquid taper using propylene glycol as solvent)    

Gabapentin:   2011: 100mg;   2011: 200mg TID    2014: 300mg;  2017: 600mg;   2019: 900mg PM;   3/2019: completed switch to 3x daily dosing (300mg q8h)

Prior drugs: Please see this link:    (the remaining dates & meds records will be updated as i receive my complete medical files.)

Suppl's: Deva Vegan Multi & Mineral Supplement w/Greens 1x, Magnesium Lysinate Glycinate Chelate 100mg 4x, vit c 1000mg  2x, zinc gluconate 50mg 1x q.o.d., Allicin Max 180mg TID,  chlorella/spirulina 50/50 blend 2tabs 5x daily

HRT:  300mg oral progesterone h.s., 0.1mg estradiol transdermal patch 2x week

• 3 years later...
  • Mentor

Can someone relate to the crazy brain sensations.  I am going to go nuts with the sizzling and shrinking brain feeling.  When the  knot that blocks my forehead feels like a rope knot that tightens, sizzles and  tingles I want to rip at it like a drying up scab. It's like akathesia in the brain:blink:

Then it moves to the back of my head or the side of my head.   I want my brain back....No sizzling, burning or shrinking.....Pain and sensation free........Not scattered or kaleidoscope fragmented thinking/functioning 😖  

I found this on the web.....

The frontal lobe is at the front of the head and is responsible for planning, organisation, logical thinking, reasoning, and managing emotions. This is the part you will hear about most regarding the expression and regulation of emotions and behaviors. It is also known as the “higher brain”, “rational brain”, or the “upstairs brain”.   

also responsible for motor skill, higher level cognition and expressive language.  

My guess most of us on the drugs and in WD our frontal lobe is compromised and not working right. Rational thinking is out the window. 

When I have the horrible knot in my forehead I feel a kaleidoscope of emotions--depression, confusion, find talking hard and  may brain is trying to untie the knot/blunted and think...

I dream of a day when I can think with rationality,  not with fear and confusion....

I feel like a guinea pig when it comes to these drugs.....How can the doctors do this to us....😒

There's my rant. I have to admit,  somedays it feels like I am going to go insane.
One day I will be free of this🌞

https://www.survivingantidepressants.org/topic/24894-greatful-is-this-withdrawal-or-to-many-med-changes-at-once/

1995? Prozac,  tried several Paxil, Serzone, St John's Wart back to Prozac and Trazodone ct:d Traz

Lexapro. Tried to stop Crash in 2015  Kindled   Hospitalized, Vybrid, Seroquel, Effexor, Abilify  Pristiq, Wellbutrin-- 2016  ended back on   Prozac and Lamictal 200mg

5/2020  thru 12/2020 taper from 20mg  Prozac  down to 3mg.  Crashed  12/13/2020 Zoloft 50mg 1/29ct  1/29/2021 Seroquel 50mg ct  2/12/2021 Wellbutrin 75mg.  Became hypo manic 2/1  6ct Trazodone 50mg 4/25  25mg 2/5/ 2021 Lamictal 150mg.  2/24  100mg   4/9  75mg   4/21 37.5 

2/16/2021 Seroquel 50xr  3/3 100mg  3/17  150mg  side effects ct   4/3 2021 Lexapro 5mg  4/14  7.5mg  4/30 10mg  5/10  7.5mg 

2021/ 5/16  5mg Lexapro   37.5 Lamictal   25mg trazadone,   xanax  .0625mg  3x a day   

Lexapro  Taper> Sept/01/2021  4.90mg>  Sept/25  4.75mg>   Oct/19 4.69mg > Nov/14 4.2mg    Jan/30/2022-- Split dosing 2x a day All liquid  4.2mg  (2.20mg at 8am & 2mg at 4pm) 2/17 4mg>  2/24  3.8mg  slow taper to  Aug/12/2022 2.04mg  2023> 2mg,  1.90mg, 1.80mg, 1.70mg, 1.5mg, 1.4mg, 1.3mg 1.2mg, 1.1mg, 1mg, 0.9mg, 0.8mg, 0.7mg 0.65mg, 0.6mg, 0.55mg, 0.5mg, 0.45mg, 0.4mg, 0.35mg, 0.3mg, 0.25,mg, back to once a day dosing 0 .1mg, 0.07mg

Lamictal  taper  4/17/ 2022 25mg, 9/9/ 22 -20mg, 9/25/22- 15mg , 10/20/22-   0

Trazodone..2023.>down to 14mg, 7mg, 6mg  July 2023   0

Xanax  0.0625 3 x a day,  2023>  0.042 3x a day

Supplements  Magnesium glycinate, Omega 3, D3, vitamin c , zinc, NAC 

• 4 weeks later...

One thing that helped my brain crawls and burning immensely was cold showers.  Just a thought.  I had a LOT of intense squirming burning and intense sensations.  Not entirely gone but 85 percent

Recent 2018 Zoloft 150mg  (20 years taking at various times, no real issues before stopping)

2019 Risperdal one month low dose (forget amount) stopped bad reaction

2019 Remeron 7.5 mg sleep  (discontinued in mid 2019) on for six months (tapered for a few weeks)

Zoloft 100 mg Summer 2020/Zoloft 75 mg Summer 2021

Zoloft 50 mg November 2021/ Zoloft 25 mg First two weeks January 2022: Reinstated 50 mgJanuary Last week)

Crash in February - on and off doses as doctors conflicted over serotonin syndrome/withdrawal - stopped all for two week & resumed:\

Other drugs tried in hospitals (Abilify, 1mg, 1 dose, Zyprexa 1 dose 1mg, Klonopin .25 4 doses in 2 hospitalizations)

March 1 titrated Zoloft up from 0 to 65 from February to Early May

Severe vision problems at 65 mg (improved depression)

Taper to 55 6/15, 45mg 7/15/ 35mg 8/1, 25mg 8/15, 10 mg, 8/31 OFF 9/2022 Omg  Improved with drops from August to September - November crash ONE dose Zoloft 3mg 11/17 - worsened symptoms - Remain off Zoloft

Mirtazapine -3.5 mg six weeks mid march to end april, occasionally for sleep

Supplements: Fish oil, magnesium, lions mane, cytokine suppress, MCT Oil

Important Information

Terms of Use Privacy Policy