Altostrata

How to keep your account from being hacked

Altostrata

Hackers and spammers are constantly probing Web sites and forum site looking for ways to get in and cause a nuisance. This is a problem all over the Web.

My own personal e-mail account was hacked at Yahoo. This happens a lot. You might have gotten spam from friends' e-mail addresses, this means their accounts were hacked.

Because of our hosted server arrangements and my constant vigilance for blacklisted entities, this site is fairly secure.

effexoractivist.org has had a lot of problems with hackers, and had to move behind a wall at Tribes.com to avoid them. benzobuddies.org recently had problems with members' passwords being hacked.

(benzowithdrawal.com has been "parked," meaning its owner has made it inactive as a forum, for unknown reasons, probably not because it was hacked.)

The best way to avoid having your account hacked is to have a complicated password.

To keep your password safe:

-- Make it something only you would know, and not a word in the dictionary.

-- Mix up uppercase and lowercase letters, numbers, and special characters like this: porVe3yU%87.

-- Make it longer than 8 characters.

btdt

Is there a thread on how to change a password?

Brandy

I don't know if there's a thread, but I think you click on the little arrow next to your user name (top right of any page), then click on "My Settings" in the drop-down. Then click on "Email and Password" in the sidebar on the left, and scroll down to where you can change your password.

Altostrata

Recently, we have had a mischievous spammer registering here under various names and sometimes claiming to be me.

The site has not been hacked. When we find spammers, we ban them and delete all their posts.

Please do not be alarmed. This is a hazard of the Web.

Happy2Heal

thanks for the warning!

updated my password and have a reminder to do that on ALL the sites I'm a member

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.