gloworm: Tapered 10 mg Prozac over 6 months, Dr wants me to reinstate

gloworm

• Moderator Emeritus

You may find some things to help with non-drug techniques:

Non-drug techniques to cope with emotional symptoms

I would encourage you to check out the links for mindfulness and acceptance. What you're feeling is extremely uncomfortable, but it's not something that can hurt you. Knowing this is powerful.

4 minutes ago, powerback said:

hi Gloworm ,strong deap breathes ,witness your thoughts

Yes, what powerback wrote is a VERY effective technique - witness your thoughts. This is a great mindfulness technique I learned from Mooji, who is a mindfulness teacher. He says, "Your thoughts are like visitors, but you are NOT a hotel. Don't let them in." In other words, don't engage in your thoughts, but simply let them pass. When you engage in them and dwell on them, you give them power. By stepping back and letting them pass - perhaps with a bit of detached curiosity - you don't take on their drama. 

This is a "chemical" depression and a "chemical" anxiety coming from withdrawal. In time, it will fade out. For now, it's best to find ways of distracting - going for a walk, watching a favorite tv show (even if it's hard to concentrate), working a jigsaw puzzle, playing some soft music, etc. 

What do you think about a small 1/2 mg Prozac reinstatement?

Edited by Shep

• Replies 222
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• gloworm

• baroquep

• Shep

• joy2730

Top Posters In This Topic

This is bad ....really bad .....I don't think 1/2 mg of Prozac is going to do it ......A simple word is bringing me panic ...this is a really bad state of mind.  I have low to no self worth right now....I'm in a bad way .....I'm exhausted but wired .  If I sleep its not restful at all....Very toxic sleep.  Naps are out of the question and way too toxic.  Called for prayer , I'm actually scared of food now. 

3 1/2 years on 10 Mg. Prozac since 1/2013 - did a 5 - 6 month taper - off as of October 2016 -

28 years of Klonopin - 2  year Taper ....off as of November 21, 2015

you are in an extreme anxiety spiral please breathe and take notice of the mods ,I'm deep breathing myself here ,I have racing thoughts of something I've to do tomorrow .believe its the drugs and no way is it you .distraction is a must .ile step back and let the mods bring you the help you deserve .peace and respect we are so strong .

Alcohol free since February 2015 

1MG diazepam

4.5MG PROZAC.

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi, gloworm.

Powerback is right - you are in an "extreme anxiety spiral". This is a great description. You have a negative thought or a scary physical sensation and you attach your thoughts to it and it spirals out of control into catastrophic thinking. It's best to just let the thoughts pass by.

You most likely are experiencing a very severe wave. Waves will pass. If you don't think a small reinstatement will help, then continue to use your meditation and take some walks in nature.  Make sure you are eating every few hours because low blood sugar makes anxiety and akathisia a lot worse. In fact, some of the symptoms of withdrawal are the same symptoms you have when you don't eat and your blood sugar drops. Also, make sure your drinking plenty of water throughout the day, as dehydration can easily sneak up on you and it also can make withdrawal worse. 

And remember to breathe. This is a great video on a breathing technique that can help with symptoms like air hunger . The more you can control, soften, and deepen your breathing, the better you will feel. But it takes practice.

4-7-8 Breathing: Health Benefits & Demonstration - video 8 minutes

I am panicked all day .... I am not good at this .... I tried ....almost 9 months off Prozac.... I think I need to be on a AD ... i am like a 4 year old .. I can't do this .... I don't want to do this .....my brain is not connected to my body ... if a manage to sleep its like I didn't . It's awful .... I have so much cortisol and adrenaline surging all time ... this is no good .

3 1/2 years on 10 Mg. Prozac since 1/2013 - did a 5 - 6 month taper - off as of October 2016 -

I beg people for help .... I'm sorry I can't live like this ..... I won't be alone .... only immediately family ...my world keeps getting smaller and smaller ..... my thoughts are scattered and desperate ... it's like I'm this bad evil person and I can't stop these obsessive thoughts 

Shep had some great advice. Eating proper and drinking plenty of water definitely helps with withdrawals. At night even warm water before bed with lemon might help try to keep a routine at night it will get easier I can attest to that.  If you are seeking help you are not evil just scared try thinking of positive situations that make you feel good try to center your thoughts on all the positive in your world.  Journal your journey focusing on the good that is happening Replacing the negative with positive will help✨

Gloworm, the negativity and obsessive rumination you are experiencing, along with the neuro-emotion (rage) and high anxiety and restlessness, are almost universal in protracted withdrawal. This too will pass--you WILL experience a relief in your symptoms eventually, and you have to keep reminding yourself of that.  Along with everything else the mods are suggesting you do.

Drugfree Prof

Psychologist and Psychotherapist

Prozac 20 mg for approx 3 months during 2000, withdrew, no w/d sx

Prozac 10 - 30 mg Jan. 2008 - Dec. 2014

Ritalin 30-40 mg Jan. 2008 - Mar. 2015

W/d sx from Prozac started around 3 months after cessation--crying spells, depressed mood, lethargy; resolved in 8 - 12 mos. post cessation

Used and continue to use a TON of alternative methods--meditation, mindfulness, nutrition. supplements, exercise, etc.

Its not passing ever ....it started as little blips here and there ...they got longer and more frequent until this is all I experience .......I can barely take care of myself ....exhausted beyond words ....I sleep but feels like I didn't ....I'm sick ...very sick .....paranoid beyond words ....

• Moderator Emeritus

Gloworm, I would go ahead and do a 1/2 mg Prozac reinstatement. If non-drug coping skills aren't working and you feel like you are spiraling out of control, then it would be worth seeing if a tiny reinstatement helps.

If it ramps up symptoms after 4 - 7 days, you simply stop taking it.

If it helps, then you hold and stabilize and get some much needed rest. 

Let us know what you think. It's painful to read what you are writing, especially when there may be aid in a reinstatement. 

What if 1/2 mg is too small, what if when I  quit it CT it sets me back ? I have smacked my head several times before from pure frustration.  I wonder if I have brain damage .....my brain actually feels numb.....no feeling but fear.  All the Benzo groups feared me into no re-instating Prozac, said it could make me worse ......I feel there is no way out of the hell hole.

• Moderator Emeritus
33 minutes ago, gloworm said:

What if 1/2 mg is too small

If it's too small, then you increase it after the first week or so, as you feel able. 

what if when I  quit it CT it sets me back ?

From what you are writing, you are already at the end of your rope and thinking about going back on an AD. This is a safe way of doing so. If it works and you are able to stabilize, then you can set up a careful taper plan. 

All the Benzo groups feared me into no re-instating Prozac, said it could make me worse ......I feel there is no way out of the hell hole.

I wouldn't get advice on antidepressants from benzo groups. They concentrate solely on benzos. If you notice, SA takes ALL of your drugs into consideration.

The theory on benzos is they don't work well if reinstated after 4 weeks.

Benzusupport.org - Notes on Reinstatement

And that was my experience as a moderator over on Benzo Buddies. Many benzo reinstatements after that time period didn't work well, as the nervous system was too destabilized. 

But antidepressants are different. The withdrawal is different in that it has a "delayed withdrawal" for many people. Some people can't even tell they came off their antidepressants for several months and then they get slammed with withdrawal symptoms. 

Alto's post on "delayed withdrawal"

One theory of antidepressant withdrawal syndrome

So please don't confuse the concept of reinstating a benzo with reinstating an antidepressant. They are two different types of drugs and although they have very similar withdrawal symptoms, reinstatement is where they have some noticeable differences.

I have to go to work, but please read through these threads and other threads on the site that pertain to this. And ask questions, Gloworm. This can be confusing, but if you're interested in a reinstatement, we can walk you through it. You'll find a lot of support here. 

I hope you feel better soon. 

Edited by Shep

I try to understand the links but I get soooo confused, very confused actually.The reinstatement link was about Lamictal ....I'm not sure what your telling me ....I just don't understand any of this.

I was reading this statement

Noradrenergics -- buproprion or Wellbutrin; mirtazapine or Remeron; SNRIs such as Cymbalta, Serzone, Effexor; and St. John's Wort, rhodiola -- stimulate "fight or flight" activation, as will most SSRIs. Drugs and substances that are stimulating should be avoided.

It says SSRI's should be avoided ??? I have been off since October 2016.........I'm hardly sleeping and when I do it feels like I didn't  ....my brain feels numb and empty

2 hours ago, gloworm said:

What if 1/2 mg is too small, what if when I  quit it CT it sets me back ? I have smacked my head several times before from pure frustration.  I wonder if I have brain damage .....my brain actually feels numb.....no feeling but fear.  All the Benzo groups feared me into no re-instating Prozac, said it could make me worse ......I feel there is no way out of the hell hole.

gloworm my heart goes out to you ,I've punched myself in the head before and I got my temple and was sore for days ,distraction please ,I couldn't sleep last night  so I listened to a documentary about henry Kissinger and putting all my focus on that helps and then I nodded off ,it takes practice but worth it .

hope peace comes to you soon

1MG diazepam

4.5MG PROZAC.

3 minutes ago, gloworm said:

I was reading this statement

Noradrenergics -- buproprion or Wellbutrin; mirtazapine or Remeron; SNRIs such as Cymbalta, Serzone, Effexor; and St. John's Wort, rhodiola -- stimulate "fight or flight" activation, as will most SSRIs. Drugs and substances that are stimulating should be avoided.

It says SSRI's should be avoided ??? I have been off since October 2016.........I'm hardly sleeping and when I do it feels like I didn't  ....my brain feels numb and empty

I know this isn't what you want to hear but it takes time and maybe loads of it ,never give up hope ,at the moment my family are loosing patience and my partner but I know I'm fighting so hard that I'm doing my best and its there issue if they cant handle it ,but I'm the one that lives it .dig deep inside your soul its there

PB

1MG diazepam

4.5MG PROZAC.

• Moderator Emeritus

Gloworm, don't confuse yourself with too much information.

This is not applicable in your situation. Take the simplest and most logical step, and give it some time to see if it works.

What we advise is such a low dose that any risks are minimal and there are chances it could make your situation more bearable.

Current: 9/2022 Xanax 0.08, Lexapro 2

2020 Xanax 0.26 (down from 2 mg in 2013), Lexapro 2.85 mg (down from 5 mg 2013)

Amitriptyline (tricyclic AD) and clonazepam for 3 months to treat headache in 1996 
1999. - present Xanax prn up to 3 mg.
2000-2005 Prozac CT twice, 2005-2010 Zoloft CT 3 times, 2010-2013 Escitalopram 10 mg
went from 2.5 to zero on 7 Aug 2013, bad crash 40 days after
reinstated to 5 mg Escitalopram 4Oct 2013 and holding liquid Xanax every 5 hours
28 Jan 2014 Xanax 1.9, 18 Apr  2015 1 mg,  25 June 2015 Lex 4.8, 6 Aug Lexapro 4.6, 1 Jan 2016 0.64  Xanax     9 month hold

24 Sept 2016 4.5 Lex, 17 Oct 4.4 Lex (Nov 0.63 Xanax, Dec 0.625 Xanax), 1 Jan 2017 4.3 Lex, 24 Jan 4.2, 5 Feb 4.1, 24 Mar 4 mg, 10 Apr 3.9 mg, May 3.85, June 3.8, July 3.75, 22 July 3.7, 15 Aug 3.65, 17 Sept 3.6, 1 Jan 2018 3.55, 19 Jan 3.5, 16 Mar 3.4, 14 Apr 3.3, 23 May 3.2, 16 June 3.15, 15 Jul 3.1, 31 Jul 3, 21 Aug 2.9 26 Sept 2.85, 14 Nov Xan 0.61, 1 Dec 0.59, 19 Dec 0.58, 4 Jan 0.565, 6 Feb 0.55, 20 Feb 0.535, 1 Mar 0.505, 10 Mar 0.475, 14 Mar 0.45, 4 Apr 0.415, 13 Apr 0.37, 21 Apr 0.33, 29 Apr 0.29, 10 May 0.27, 17 May 0.25, 28 May 0.22, 19 June 0.22, 21 Jun updose to 0.24, 24 Jun updose to 0.26

Supplements: Omega 3 + Vit E, Vit C, D, magnesium, Taurine, probiotic 

I'm not a medical professional. Any advice I give is based on my own experience and reading. 

• Moderator Emeritus
43 minutes ago, gloworm said:

I try to understand the links but I get soooo confused, very confused actually.The reinstatement link was about Lamictal ....I'm not sure what your telling me ....I just don't understand any of this.

Gloworm, I'm sorry. That long article on antidepressant withdrawal is very complicated and Bubble makes an excellent point that it's too much information.

Let's do what Bubble suggests and take the simplest and most logical step.

Let's go back to this post I wrote when you were asking if reinstating was a good idea and I responded in favor of reinstating: 

2 hours ago, Shep said:

From what you are writing, you are already at the end of your rope and thinking about going back on an AD. This is a safe way of doing so. If it works and you are able to stabilize, then you set up a careful taper plan. 

Also, in this post here, you mentioned that the Prozac took away the benzo rage when you were dealing with benzo withdrawal, so that's another positive to trying a Prozac reinstatement.  

Your options with the antidepressant is: 

1. Reinstate a small dose

2. Ride out the wave by using non-drug coping skills

Please let us know what you decide. You will heal from this either way, but a small reinstatement may take the edge off these brutal symptoms and bring you a bit of relief. 

Shep , I have a question .....I sleep some every other night, and the night I DO sleep (which is not deep....very lite sleep) I feel horrid the next day with paranoia , depression, Akathisia type rage , agitation and ruminating.  Why would this be ?  My sleep is strange  as it feels like I didn't sleep at all ....I get these waves of fatigue that I cant even explain......its not  normal good fatigue .....

I also realize that when I was given the Prozac, I was on 1.5 Mg of Klonopin.  So its not the same any longer....even though Prozac calmed that storm within I was on Klonopin ....my B12 levels are low normal ...I freaked out trying to take a sliver of B12....I have so much fear and was told it was all from the Klonopin, I think not .....I think I have major issues.

• Mentor

Gloworm

you are going to be ok.

I am one of the people who reinstated a very very low dose of the antidepressant drug I was taking and it has worked out very well for me.

sadly it's not unusual for sleep to be followed by feeling worse. I don't know why that is. For most of us, the mornings are the hardest, and then as the day goes on, we feel better.

It can be this way for you too. it will be, soon. you are going to get thru this, ok? your brain and your body want to heal, and will work tirelessly to heal, you can be sure of that.

You need to find something to distract yourself for the mornings, somewhere you can go, someone you can be with, some thing to do, that will help keep your mind occupied. You may still feel bad, but this will make the time pass quicker and help you to not worry so much.

The fear of the symptoms makes them worse.

I know it is super hard not to be afraid when you feel this bad, but you are strong, try to convince yourself of that and it will help make it true.

try this short audio, it helps a LOT:

https://www.getselfhelp.co.uk/music/FirstAidPanicF.mp3

PLEASE DO NOT SEND ME PRIVATE MESSAGES, thank you. 

• pysch med history: 1974 @ age 18 to Oct 2017 (approx 43 yrs total) 
  •  Drug list: stelazine, haldol, elavil, lithium, zoloft, celexa, lexapro(doses as high as 40mgs), klonopin, ambien, seroquel(high doses), depakote, zyprexa, lamictal- plus brief trials of dozens of other psych meds over the years
  • started lexapro 2002, dose varied from 20mgs to 40mgs. First attempt to get off it was 2007- WD symptoms were mistaken for "relapse". 
  •  2013 too fast taper down to 5mg but WD forced me back to 20mgs
  •  June of 2105, tapered again too rapidly to 2.5mgs by Dec 2015. Found SA, held at 2.5 mgs til May 2016 when I foolishly "jumped off". felt ok until  Sept, then acute WD hit!!  reinstated at 0.3mgs in Oct. 2106
  • Tapered off to zero by  Oct. 2017 Doing very well. 
  • Nov. 2018 feel 95% healed, age 63 
  • Jan. 2020 feel 100% healed, peaceful and content
  • PRESENT DAYS:  Loving life! ❤️ with all it's ups and downs ;) 

Another thing I have is no tears , not sweating. Sinus cavity dried up ... like I have no body fluid .  

I am getting worse and worse with this agitated paranoia ... I'm feeling I'm on a hamster wheel .. .. the night I sleep broken which is every other night the next day is horrid .  The night I have insomnia is followed by a day that is a hair better .

my right side of my forehead is very sensitive to touch .  

My B12 was also 314 and I freaked out trying to take a supplement .   

Something feels terrible wrong .  Could my adrenals of shut down?

HI gloworm ,have you given a thought of extreme anxiety ,when we have this our mind becomes consumed and over taking by panic ,the smallest thing is blown up,its not you personally ,its the nervous system constantly being tricked into panic.could you be dehydrated also .I'm learning to ignore a lot of things ,its a bit unnerving ,but ive done all the tests of bloods and the like and they all come back ok .not judging you maybe think about it

1MG diazepam

4.5MG PROZAC.

• Moderator Emeritus
42 minutes ago, gloworm said:

Another thing I have is no tears , not sweating. Sinus cavity dried up ... like I have no body fluid .  

Are you drinking plenty of water throughout the day?  This sounds like dehydration. 

It's important you take care of yourself, gloworm. Eating and drinking throughout the day matter. You want to come out of this experience empowered, especially now that you had the courage and determination to get off these drugs. 

Don't sabotage your recovery by not fueling your mind and body. 

Yes .... I have ... I don't know what to do about it..... I NEVER FEEL normal .... i don't think I'm dehydrated ....... I'm paranoid ... 

I do eat and I do drink . 

And my urine is completely clear .... if i  was dehydrated it would be very yellow .... it's not .... clear

My level of fear and paranoia is not normal ..... my brain is locked in a fear state ... I just ruminate .... when I came off Prozac it just kept  getting worse .   I don't know things ..... I can't remember things 

I apologise if I'm butting in here but im pretty sure your in an anxiety spiral of panic ,its like a spell it creeps up on ye ,find some distraction to stop your mind eating itself alive .OCD, rumination,intrusive thoughts  is all part of the anxiety spiral .I learned all this the hard way

didn't mean to quote here .

Edited by scallywag
deleted quote

1MG diazepam

4.5MG PROZAC.

Is this from the medications ? Or am I needing prozac? anyrhing I do I can still think ... like now I'm watching tv and can not quit personalizing it with myself ..... today I tried to clean ....it doesn't work 

• Moderator Emeritus
1 minute ago, gloworm said:

Is this from the medications ? Or am I needing prozac? anyrhing I do I can still think ... like now I'm watching tv and can not quit personalizing it with myself ..... today I tried to clean ....it doesn't work 

I actually experienced something like this when I came off my last antipsychotic.

You may need to switch off the tv and change to soothing music with nature. This is one of my favorite playlists for helping with symptoms like this:

Ludwig Van Beethoven's Moonlight Sonata -Relaxing Tranquil Classical Instrumental Piano Music

Powerback is right - this is a spiral. If you can feed the spiral things that are calming, it will help. 

Just now, gloworm said:

I think your responding to triggers ,I get this all the time ,comparing myself to what's on TV and the characters ,I'm very bad lately .the only things I can watch sometimes is nature documentaries ,luckily I love them .half the battle is knowing whats causing our torture  ,and from my experience your in a bad anxiety wave

1MG diazepam

4.5MG PROZAC.

Is this who I am without medication or is this medication related ... I'm ready to start telling everyone of my past sins ... this is awful ..

I have been like this February ..... and it is getting more intense .... I am told from the benzo site this is from that ...... I can not live with this much paranoia ...,I literally can not function .....I'm scared of everything .....i want to crawl out of my body . .. i don't get this every other day thing ....... benzo group told me this is mental akathisia

2 minutes ago, gloworm said:

Is this who I am without medication or is this medication related ... I'm ready to start telling everyone of my past sins ... this is awful ..

ye OMG ,I've had this lately ,its like a form of tourete syndrome   ,the good thing is your aware of it ,I cope by concentrating on what I'm thinking before I speak ,especially in company of new people ,but I mostly keep to myself .

1MG diazepam

4.5MG PROZAC.