• Announcements

RebeLeeous

RebeLeeous: Buspar withdrawal and akathisia, how long will I suffer?

26 posts in this topic

Posted (edited)

I was put on buspar last year. Was on 5mg for 2 months, then 10mg for a month before I stopped it cold turkey on January 16th due to side effects..

The panic attacks and anxiety that hit after stopping were wickedness. Was calling my dad at all hours begging him not to die cos I was terrified of losing him. There was gradual improvement, if you can call it that, but then a week ago, well, I don't know if it was the magnesium (unlikely, I'm sure?) or the buspar withdrawal, but I started having issues with akathisia to the point I can't sleep at night.

I took too much magnesium, the recommended dose on the bottle which was 800mg. I had a calm for an hour and a half, then it faded and an aching started in my kidney area. I googled and found the recommended daily dose should be no more than 350mg. The akathisia started a day or 2 after that, hence why I don't know if it's connected, but figure the timing is just coincidental.

I've been going thru this hell for 2 months now. The anxiety and panic seemed to worsen a bit when the akathisia started. My question is for those of you who've gotten the akathisia as the result of withdrawal from a medication ...how long before it stopped? I don't know how I can hold up, but having a potential time line would sure be helpful, it would put a light at the end of my tunnel again, even if my symptoms do end up lasting longer. This is the scariest and hardest thing I've ever been thru.

Edited by scallywag
added paragraph breaks and tags

RebeLeeous -- Welcome to Surviving Antidepressants (SA)

I'm sorry that you didn't have good advice 2 months ago when you jumped off 10 mg Buspar.  "Cold-turkey" stops of medication have a significant risk of withdrawal symptoms and it sounds like your "cold turkey" put you into difficult and painful symptoms.

Nobody can predict how long your symptoms will last. People who've taken a medication for short time sometimes -- but not always --  have shorter recovery periods.

One option that *may* help is to reinstate a very small dose (possibly ~ 1 mg) of Buspar. Please read our topic on reinstatement here:

About reinstating and stabilizing to reduce withdrawal symptoms.

If you have any questions about a reinstatement dose or about the process, please post them here in your introduction.

You'll find other members discussing akathisia in this topic: Akathisia vs. restlessness, anxiety, agitation

I hope you'll find the information in the SA forums helpful for your situation. I'm sorry that you are in the position that you need the information, but am glad that you found us.

I'm scared to take it anymore, after 2 months being off it..

Do you know if alcohol really makes it slower to heal? I don't really drink, but have been drinking about 3/4 of a beer a night to relax my body so I can sleep. I also keep feeling like I need to pee even when I don't..have you ever heard of that? What has me scared is seeing some of the posts saying people have been in withdrawal for years..I'm barely holding on and it's only been months..I couldn't handle years of this..I'd rather go back on buspar for life than deal with this living nightmare for years :(

Hi there, I'm no expert by any means but it's probably a good idea to let your CNS heal as naturally as possible without the alcohol in the way. Don't be discouraged, when most people say it took x amount of time to heal, they usually do not suffer at the acute level for that time. Things tend to slowly get better, very slowly. I only see progress if I look back 2 months or more. Also you weren't on the drugs very long which could also be in your favor. I got akathisia in November from a medicine and now it's only really bad during pms time. Hang in there!

Thanks for your answer about reinstating. Many people are hesitant about it however it is the only known way to ease withdrawal symptoms; sadly it is not a sure-fire guarantee. Please read the topic I linked.

Alcohol is a neuro-active substance so it is best avoided when dealing with a neurological issue such as withdrawal from psychiatric medication. To understand what I mean by a neurological issue, please have a look at these 2 links:

How your brain responds to psychiatric drugs - aka "Brain remodeling"

Youtube video, 4 minutes: Healing from antidepressants

Thank you for your responses! I had felt so alone in this before..

I felt like I was slowly, but surely getting better at first, but the past week has been more like the 3rd week, which is pretty bad. ​I'll stop with the alcohol..is marijuana ok? I've been considering it even tho I haven't smoked it since I was a rebellious dumb teen. I won't at all be able to sleep if I don't have something to ease it all up cos I can't stay still or get comfortable..any suggestions would be dearly appreciated.

If the symptoms don't seem to improve any by my next pdoc appt on April 10, I'll see about going on 1mg...may have to be 2.5mg, I don't think I can cut those tiny pills any small than that, and I think 5mg is the lowest they prescribe? Not sure..

I see that I`m not the only one who has been seriously harmed by Buspirone. I thought it was an easy drug to withdraw from. I couldn`t have been mistaken more. I recommend no alcohol, marijuana and cigarettes.

You were on Buspiron for a short time, maybe your symptoms will go away in a few weeks or at least they will be more bearable. I got much better after 4-5 weeks off Buspirone. Before I thought I would die and never get better.

I've already been off it more than 4-5 weeks :(

I know but my situation is a bit different from yours. I made an unsuccessful reinstatement and suffered through a fast taper. Don't give up, acceptance and patience are the key. I believe your CNS will heal naturally.

God, I hope so...I'm barely holding it together. I'm terrified that I won't get better and that reinstatement won't ease it any. I just don't understand why this horrible drug is still prescribed, it shouldn't still exist.

...I felt like I was slowly, but surely getting better at first, but the past week has been more like the 3rd week, which is pretty bad. ​I'll stop with the alcohol..is marijuana ok? I've been considering it even tho I haven't smoked it since I was a rebellious dumb teen. I won't at all be able to sleep if I don't have something to ease it all up cos I can't stay still or get comfortable..any suggestions would be dearly appreciated.

If the symptoms don't seem to improve any by my next pdoc appt on April 10, I'll see about going on 1mg...may have to be 2.5mg, I don't think I can cut those tiny pills any small than that, and I think 5mg is the lowest they prescribe? Not sure..

Marijuana, cannabis, THC and/or CBD are neuroactive as well. Some people find them helpful; others have had extremely negative experiences with MMJ during withdrawal and been set back months by one exposure. Me, I wouldn't risk it.

Sleeping and insomnia -- please read: Tips to help sleep.

Making small doses: Making a liquid from a tablet or capsules .

If I reinstate, don't I risk starting from square one with withdrawal symptoms? I don't want to start all over again with the desperate cries to my dad for him to stay alive..It was just about more than I can handle. My current state is barely what I can handle..

Your symptoms are from having discontinued Buspar too rapidly for your CNS (central nervous system).

When reinstatement works, withdrawal symptoms lighten. A few people have experienced complete resolution/disappearance of symptoms after holding on the reinstatement dose for several months. 

Once symptoms have stabilized at the reinstated dose, people taper slowly and gradually. We suggest that people decrease dose by no more than 10% each month.  This rate seems to be slow enough for most people that it prevents the worst of withdrawal.

Please read:

About reinstating and stabilizing to reduce withdrawal symptoms.

How your brain responds to psychiatric drugs - aka "Brain remodeling"

Youtube video, 4 minutes: Healing from antidepressants

Why taper by 10% of my dosage?.

But is there still a risk of reinstating, but it doesn't stabilize and causes me to start the withdrawal from the beginning? This is what is holding me back from doing it. I'm here holding this cut down pill in my hand just looking at it too scared to take it.

If you reinstate a very small dose like 1mg as scallywag suggested, it`s worth trying. I wouldn`t go higher than 2.5mg. I recommend a digital micro scale to measure doses.

If the reinstatement doesn't have an effect after 2 weeks, no effect means that your withdrawal symptoms are unchanged, right? So you're no further behind than if you hadn't tried a reinstatement. You can then choose to discontinue the reinstatement OR make a small updose.

Have you read the topics I linked?

Ok..thank you. I'm still unsure if I'll reinstate, as last night I had a calmness and it was the first night in a week I was able to sleep without any beer. Still had issues with the akathisia, but I think taking oxybutynin for the bladder spasms/need to pee feeling, is helping.

Rebel,   I notice on your signature that you are currently taking Latuda, is that correct?  I do know of a few people who have experienced akathisia from this drug.  I'm wondering if that's what's causing your akathisia or is at least a contributing factor?   As someone who has experienced intense akathisia, I know how tormenting it can be.  I hope that you will find the source of it and be able to recover from this soon. 

I spoke with my pharmacist and with a neurologist just to double and triple check, and have reinstated. I feel a little anxiety creeping in..but hopefully it works to return me to sanity. The anxiety may be less anxiety and more just time of month cramps..I can't tell, both make my gut feel twisted.

Selma, I'm not sure, I hope not, I really hope it's from the withdrawal cos I'm not ready to withdraw from latuda yet..Wana get away from buspar and back to normal with that first. Only faster way to destroy my sanity than this anxiety is messing up my sleep. Thank you for the good thoughts tho!

Thank you guys for all the support and responses, it's been so entirely helpful and made me feel less alone and scared.

How much did you reinstate Rebel? Would you update your signature for us please, with the date you stopped buspar, when you reinstated and what dose you reinstated at? It just makes things easier for us so we don't have to read back through the topic each time. I hope the reinstatement helps, it could be a few days before you notice an improvement, but xome people feel better very quickly. Let us know how it goes.

I was hoping it'd pull me out of this nightmare today, but I've been feeling anxiety for the past couple hours :( I know it can take days or even weeks if it's going to work, but it's still frustrating and difficult to withstand.​

Mamma P, ok I will..I was told to start at 2.5mg..

Yes I did, thank you..It's still all very scary, even having all this information. I wish to God we'd of invented time travel already so I could go stop myself from ever taking this or the latuda :(

Mamma P, ok I will..I was told to start at 2.5mg..

Actually , that is incorrect. You were advised to start on 1 mg.( post 2 ) However, I hope it goes well for you. Please keep notes on your symptoms for the next couple of weeks. It will help to establish a pattern that can be reviewed at a later date.

AliG, I was told by the neurologist I consulted to start at 2.5mg