SurvivingAntidepressants.org is temporarily closed to new registrations until 1 April ×

TryingToHoldOn: Sertraline - protracted WD 6 months after last dose?

TryingToHoldOn

• Moderator Emeritus

Hang in there, I am gping to discuss your history will the other mods and someone will get back to you.  

Current Prescription Drugs for Hypothyroidism:  Synthroid 100mcg / Cytomel 5mcg (15 years Pristiq/Effexor)

Tapering Schedule
September 15, 2016 - switched from Pristiq 50mg to Effexor XR 75mg; November 10, 2016 - reduced to 67.5 Effexor XR
December 9, 2016 - reduced 60.75
January 5, 2017 - reduced 54.67
January 30, 2017 - reduced to 49.0
February 20, 2017 - reduced to 44.0 
May 20, 2017 - reduced to 40.25 (holding for additional month due to late onset of withdrawal symptoms after this taper)
July 17, 2017 - reduced to 38.24
August 15, 2017 - reduced to 37.5 (50% of my original dose)

October 15, 2017 - reduced to 35.6

November 12, 2017 - reduced to 33.8
December 15, 2017 - up-dose to 35.6
December 28, 2017 - up-dose to 37.5

• Replies 344
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• TryingToHoldOn

• Littlegrandma

• Rosetta

• RachelSusan

Top Posters In This Topic

• Moderator Emeritus

Hello Trying.

I went through your whole thread since the beginning and what I noticed is that you had one big wave like this in April. But it passed. You started writing about windows here and there, you wrote that 2 of your symptoms have completely gone.

I would treat this as another major wave couple with battle fatigue. You've been bravely fighting for so long that it is natural to feel tired and exhausted.

You wrote at one point that you admire people who go through WD gracefully. Nobody does that! I was just crying and feeling totally helpless and pathetic yesterday and the day before. Ando also felt hopeless and helpless and like I can't take it any more. It happens to all of us. Don't put too high expectations from yourself. 

I admire how you are able to take care of two kids. I'm on my own and although I would very much want to have a child on most days I'm actually grateful I don't have hem because I can hardly cope with myself and you have been doing so much!

You have every right to ask for help: from your parents, from your husband, paying somebody. the worst bit for me when I have to take time for myself to heal is the feeling of guilt. But we have to do it. 

Some time before your symptoms got worse and resulted in this post you wrote how you had to ask your parents to buy clothes for the kids and how you panicked seeing all that clothes that needed to be sorted and so on. You are not weak for doing that. What you are going through is so difficult and so far you were able to push through so much. But you have the right not to push yourself too much. I don't have kids but my personal struggle to stay afloat is going to work. When I experience moments of panic it is a clear sign I must stop pushing myself I must back off.

It means I have to go to my GP and explain what is wrong with me (again), I even had to see a psychiatrist just to get the time off work, I have to explain things to my boss and colleagues and they are far from happy - so it's a horrible thing for me to go through. But I must do it for myself and my healing. I know very well that if I push myself, my symptoms will only get worse and my priority is to take care of myself. Even if everyone is pissed off with me.

Symptoms such as those are a shout from our brains to stop pushing ourselves, be selfish and apply more self-care. 

What can you do to let go of the pressure? Don't think about how this will inconvenience others. Think about what you need because you are suicidal and this is very serious. you have to do something for yourself. 

When you looked at those clothes, that was a call. You pushed through because it was a 'normal' thing to do so you didn't reply to that call and things started spiraling out of control and now you have los that bigger picture and are just totally overwhelmed.

I don't know if this will help. I could see so much of what I experience. I wouldn't think about reinstating, primarily. You were experiencing clear windows. I would focus on self-care and see what happens. Give it a few days. Don't think about ever, never. Don't even think about net week or tomorrow. Think what you can do for yourself now to make it through the next hour and so. You will recover. Your brain has already shown clear signs of recovery. This is just a set back provoked by too much pressure. Our brains are very fragile and they need to be spared. If they are not they get very unhappy. But if we give them what they need, they bounce back.

If suicidal thoughts are strong, do something so that you are safe. My therapist gave me advice that I really liked: I was to write on a piece of paper the number of a help line and a close person I could talk to (and that person wouldn't get scared or call the police or something). That made me feel better.

Let us know what you think about this (if I managed to be clear).  We can always discuss reinstating but I would first try this.

Keep us posted and take care. You are very strong and you will get through this and things will get better soon. That's the nature of waves: they pass. 

Current: 9/2022 Xanax 0.08, Lexapro 2

2020 Xanax 0.26 (down from 2 mg in 2013), Lexapro 2.85 mg (down from 5 mg 2013)

Amitriptyline (tricyclic AD) and clonazepam for 3 months to treat headache in 1996 
1999. - present Xanax prn up to 3 mg.
2000-2005 Prozac CT twice, 2005-2010 Zoloft CT 3 times, 2010-2013 Escitalopram 10 mg
went from 2.5 to zero on 7 Aug 2013, bad crash 40 days after
reinstated to 5 mg Escitalopram 4Oct 2013 and holding liquid Xanax every 5 hours
28 Jan 2014 Xanax 1.9, 18 Apr  2015 1 mg,  25 June 2015 Lex 4.8, 6 Aug Lexapro 4.6, 1 Jan 2016 0.64  Xanax     9 month hold

24 Sept 2016 4.5 Lex, 17 Oct 4.4 Lex (Nov 0.63 Xanax, Dec 0.625 Xanax), 1 Jan 2017 4.3 Lex, 24 Jan 4.2, 5 Feb 4.1, 24 Mar 4 mg, 10 Apr 3.9 mg, May 3.85, June 3.8, July 3.75, 22 July 3.7, 15 Aug 3.65, 17 Sept 3.6, 1 Jan 2018 3.55, 19 Jan 3.5, 16 Mar 3.4, 14 Apr 3.3, 23 May 3.2, 16 June 3.15, 15 Jul 3.1, 31 Jul 3, 21 Aug 2.9 26 Sept 2.85, 14 Nov Xan 0.61, 1 Dec 0.59, 19 Dec 0.58, 4 Jan 0.565, 6 Feb 0.55, 20 Feb 0.535, 1 Mar 0.505, 10 Mar 0.475, 14 Mar 0.45, 4 Apr 0.415, 13 Apr 0.37, 21 Apr 0.33, 29 Apr 0.29, 10 May 0.27, 17 May 0.25, 28 May 0.22, 19 June 0.22, 21 Jun updose to 0.24, 24 Jun updose to 0.26

Supplements: Omega 3 + Vit E, Vit C, D, magnesium, Taurine, probiotic 

I'm not a medical professional. Any advice I give is based on my own experience and reading. 

On 10/20/2017 at 2:17 PM, baroquep said:

Hang in there, I am gping to discuss your history will the other mods and someone will get back to you.  

Thank you, Baroquep.

Mid 2014 - June 2016 (~ 2.5 yrs): sertraline 75mg. Under advice of my Pysch NP, weaned off in 1 month

Sept 2017 - Feb 2017 (6 months): Latuda (dose 20mg up to 80mg). Under advice of Psych NP, weaned off in 6 weeks (Jan - mid Feb). Tirtated down 20mg every 2 weeks.

Nov 2017 - Feb 2017 (3 months): lamictal 100mg. Abruptly taken off. This was the "wean": 100mg, 50mg, then off

Feb 2017: sertraline 150mg for 1 week to bring me out of a severe suicidal depression. Abruptly stopped due to serotonin syndrome. Tried to reinstate 50mg a week later, but the serotonin syndrome symptoms came back. Not possible to reinstate sertraline.

March 2017: remeron 7.5mg. Took one dose that knocked me out for two days. Refused to take it again

February 2017 - March 2017: Ativan 1mg. Took 5 pills total spread out over the course of 3 weeks. No longer taking it.

6/16/18 - 6/26: celexa 1.25mg

6/27/18 - 6/29: celexa 2.5mg, 6/29 had burning and agitation within 30min of dose

6/30/18 - present: celexa 1.25mg

On 10/20/2017 at 2:57 PM, bubble said:

Hello Trying.

I went through your whole thread since the beginning and what I noticed is that you had one big wave like this in April. But it passed. You started writing about windows here and there, you wrote that 2 of your symptoms have completely gone.

I would treat this as another major wave couple with battle fatigue. You've been bravely fighting for so long that it is natural to feel tired and exhausted.

You wrote at one point that you admire people who go through WD gracefully. Nobody does that! I was just crying and feeling totally helpless and pathetic yesterday and the day before. Ando also felt hopeless and helpless and like I can't take it any more. It happens to all of us. Don't put too high expectations from yourself. 

I admire how you are able to take care of two kids. I'm on my own and although I would very much want to have a child on most days I'm actually grateful I don't have hem because I can hardly cope with myself and you have been doing so much!

You have every right to ask for help: from your parents, from your husband, paying somebody. the worst bit for me when I have to take time for myself to heal is the feeling of guilt. But we have to do it. 

Some time before your symptoms got worse and resulted in this post you wrote how you had to ask your parents to buy clothes for the kids and how you panicked seeing all that clothes that needed to be sorted and so on. You are not weak for doing that. What you are going through is so difficult and so far you were able to push through so much. But you have the right not to push yourself too much. I don't have kids but my personal struggle to stay afloat is going to work. When I experience moments of panic it is a clear sign I must stop pushing myself I must back off.

It means I have to go to my GP and explain what is wrong with me (again), I even had to see a psychiatrist just to get the time off work, I have to explain things to my boss and colleagues and they are far from happy - so it's a horrible thing for me to go through. But I must do it for myself and my healing. I know very well that if I push myself, my symptoms will only get worse and my priority is to take care of myself. Even if everyone is pissed off with me.

Symptoms such as those are a shout from our brains to stop pushing ourselves, be selfish and apply more self-care. 

What can you do to let go of the pressure? Don't think about how this will inconvenience others. Think about what you need because you are suicidal and this is very serious. you have to do something for yourself. 

When you looked at those clothes, that was a call. You pushed through because it was a 'normal' thing to do so you didn't reply to that call and things started spiraling out of control and now you have los that bigger picture and are just totally overwhelmed.

I don't know if this will help. I could see so much of what I experience. I wouldn't think about reinstating, primarily. You were experiencing clear windows. I would focus on self-care and see what happens. Give it a few days. Don't think about ever, never. Don't even think about net week or tomorrow. Think what you can do for yourself now to make it through the next hour and so. You will recover. Your brain has already shown clear signs of recovery. This is just a set back provoked by too much pressure. Our brains are very fragile and they need to be spared. If they are not they get very unhappy. But if we give them what they need, they bounce back.

If suicidal thoughts are strong, do something so that you are safe. My therapist gave me advice that I really liked: I was to write on a piece of paper the number of a help line and a close person I could talk to (and that person wouldn't get scared or call the police or something). That made me feel better.

Let us know what you think about this (if I managed to be clear).  We can always discuss reinstating but I would first try this.

Keep us posted and take care. You are very strong and you will get through this and things will get better soon. That's the nature of waves: they pass. 

Bubble,

Thank you so much for your in depth reply and taking the time to read my entire thread.  I appreciate your insight and feedback especially when you are suffering from WD as well.

Honestly, I am so desperately ill. There are so many components that are torturing me that I don't even know how to address or convey the severity of it.  I am truly afraid that I have been permanently damaged.  I continue to get worse instead of better and I'm at a loss.  I really don't know what the right thing is.  I know for a fact the medications caused and damaged me, but I am highly doubtful that my brain will right itself, even if given enough time.  I also believe that another medication could be the 'final nail in the coffin' if I had the courage to try one.

There are so many people on this thread who have been suffering for years and years.  Where is the hope in that?  Another member also posted that even after years of being drug free they are still not well or where they'd hope to be by now.  It was a wake up call to be informed not to assume that many leave and not return to this site because 'they are living life.'

I just can't believe that I'm in this position and often feel like there is only one option left to escape this relentless pain.  Does it really end?  Does it really get better?  

I'm terribly sorry for this negative post, but it's just where I'm at right now.  At 7 months out, I believe you're right about my battle fatigue.  I just don't know how to push on.  

Mid 2014 - June 2016 (~ 2.5 yrs): sertraline 75mg. Under advice of my Pysch NP, weaned off in 1 month

Sept 2017 - Feb 2017 (6 months): Latuda (dose 20mg up to 80mg). Under advice of Psych NP, weaned off in 6 weeks (Jan - mid Feb). Tirtated down 20mg every 2 weeks.

Nov 2017 - Feb 2017 (3 months): lamictal 100mg. Abruptly taken off. This was the "wean": 100mg, 50mg, then off

Feb 2017: sertraline 150mg for 1 week to bring me out of a severe suicidal depression. Abruptly stopped due to serotonin syndrome. Tried to reinstate 50mg a week later, but the serotonin syndrome symptoms came back. Not possible to reinstate sertraline.

March 2017: remeron 7.5mg. Took one dose that knocked me out for two days. Refused to take it again

February 2017 - March 2017: Ativan 1mg. Took 5 pills total spread out over the course of 3 weeks. No longer taking it.

6/27/18 - 6/29: celexa 2.5mg, 6/29 had burning and agitation within 30min of dose

Hello Trying,

My heart really goes out to you!  You clearly have inner reserves of strength that is pulling you through.  

It is really a good sign that you had a window.  Sometimes you have to latch on to something to give you confidence that you will get better and that window is one thing.  You are not damaged.  Because you are in acute WD it feels like you will never get better, but you will.  While many are still suffering after years being off drugs, there are many who have healed.  Don't give up hope. Unfortunately you have to go through it to get to the other side.

Some things that have taken the edge off WD in the past for me are:

EFT - google it, has to do with tapping strategic points on your body.  It was a good distraction for me.

Pacing

Repeating aloud over and over "it's only WD", or similar phrase.  This sounds simplistic, but it was also a good coping mechanism.

Maybe look into CBT therapy (that's how I learned about EFT), acupuncture.

You are superhuman to be going through this, with two little children.  Please hang in there somehow.  I wish you the best.

PAST

Gabapentin:  about 6 months in 2015, 300-900 mg, cold turkeyed Sept 2015 (at same time dc'd Klonopin)

Klonopin: June 2014- Sept 2015; 1mg tapered over 6 mths, dc'd at 0.25mg, withdrawal hellish (perhaps because of concurrent dc of gabapentin)

Mirtazepine: Jumped off at 2.4 mg. (stable in 8 months).

Seroquel:  June 14 - July 24, 2016, 25 mg alternate nights; smaller doses for shorter periods. Total use about 3 months 

Lamictal: March 19, 2018 - 1 mg; March 23 - 1.25 mg; April 6 - 2mg. Discontinued at 2 mgJuly 1, 2018 due to Steven Johnson Syndrome.

CURRENT

Supplements: Vit D, turmeric

Naturethroid: 65 mcg for hypothyroidism

Trazodone: Oct 2015 - June 2016; 75 mg tapered over 2 mths, intense w/d after 3 weeks. Reinstatement: 07/25/16 - 25 mg; updosed 08/03/16 - 50 mg;  10/01/16-  62mg; 03/24/17 dropped to 50 mg (stable in 2.5 months)

Current psych meds: Trazodone 50 mg

On 10/26/2017 at 4:43 PM, Survivor1 said:

Hello Trying,

My heart really goes out to you!  You clearly have inner reserves of strength that is pulling you through.  

It is really a good sign that you had a window.  Sometimes you have to latch on to something to give you confidence that you will get better and that window is one thing.  You are not damaged.  Because you are in acute WD it feels like you will never get better, but you will.  While many are still suffering after years being off drugs, there are many who have healed.  Don't give up hope. Unfortunately you have to go through it to get to the other side.

Some things that have taken the edge off WD in the past for me are:

EFT - google it, has to do with tapping strategic points on your body.  It was a good distraction for me.

Pacing

Repeating aloud over and over "it's only WD", or similar phrase.  This sounds simplistic, but it was also a good coping mechanism.

Maybe look into CBT therapy (that's how I learned about EFT), acupuncture.

You are superhuman to be going through this, with two little children.  Please hang in there somehow.  I wish you the best.

Thank you, Survivor1.  I hope you are doing well.

• Moderator Emeritus

How are you doing now?

Amitriptyline (tricyclic AD) and clonazepam for 3 months to treat headache in 1996 
2000-2005 Prozac CT twice, 2005-2010 Zoloft CT 3 times, 2010-2013 Escitalopram 10 mg
reinstated to 5 mg Escitalopram 4Oct 2013 and holding liquid Xanax every 5 hours
28 Jan 2014 Xanax 1.9, 18 Apr  2015 1 mg,  25 June 2015 Lex 4.8, 6 Aug Lexapro 4.6, 1 Jan 2016 0.64  Xanax     9 month hold

24 Sept 2016 4.5 Lex, 17 Oct 4.4 Lex (Nov 0.63 Xanax, Dec 0.625 Xanax), 1 Jan 2017 4.3 Lex, 24 Jan 4.2, 5 Feb 4.1, 24 Mar 4 mg, 10 Apr 3.9 mg, May 3.85, June 3.8, July 3.75, 22 July 3.7, 15 Aug 3.65, 17 Sept 3.6, 1 Jan 2018 3.55, 19 Jan 3.5, 16 Mar 3.4, 14 Apr 3.3, 23 May 3.2, 16 June 3.15, 15 Jul 3.1, 31 Jul 3, 21 Aug 2.9 26 Sept 2.85, 14 Nov Xan 0.61, 1 Dec 0.59, 19 Dec 0.58, 4 Jan 0.565, 6 Feb 0.55, 20 Feb 0.535, 1 Mar 0.505, 10 Mar 0.475, 14 Mar 0.45, 4 Apr 0.415, 13 Apr 0.37, 21 Apr 0.33, 29 Apr 0.29, 10 May 0.27, 17 May 0.25, 28 May 0.22, 19 June 0.22, 21 Jun updose to 0.24, 24 Jun updose to 0.26

I'm not a medical professional. Any advice I give is based on my own experience and reading. 

Bubble,

Thank you for checking in on me.  The deep, dark suicidal depression is now intermittent so I am so grateful for even the smallest break from that.  Now at the forefront is this underlying panic that never leaves me and crippling social anxiety.  I’ve had situational anxiety before, but it was never to the point that I couldn’t hang out or talk to my friends.  I can barely converse with my children and my husband.  Will this all go?  I am so afraid that i’m going to left as an highly anxious and barely functioning individual when this is all over.

Another distressing symptom is my insomnia that i’ve Had since December 2016.  I can go for days without sleep and instead of being exhausted I am left with an electrical wired feeling.  Isn’t this a sign of bipolar disorder?

i am trying to keep calm and meditate every day, but I feel like i’m on the verge of losing it on a daily basis.

Another friend of mine went thru ambien WD and suffered for a year.  She said the only thing that helped her was another med, remeron specifically, which she then tapered off.  She insists that I will never get well without the aid of a medication.

I am terrified of meds at this point and I am also terried of my current state.

• Moderator Emeritus
44 minutes ago, TryingToHoldOn said:

I’ve had situational anxiety before, but it was never to the point that I couldn’t hang out or talk to my friends.  I can barely converse with my children and my husband.  Will this all go?

This very half sentence the essence of withdawal: it's much more intense than any of the symptoms we experienced before.

Of course it will go away! I'm tapering at when I cut too much or get stressed I experience deep, deep disfunctionality, among other things can't talk to people because it is so overwhelming. But as my brain stabilises, it goes away!

I've had it happen for so many times but every time I again feel I'll be

47 minutes ago, TryingToHoldOn said:

left as an highly anxious and barely functioning individual

And then I start functioning again!

Belief that this is permanent is a waithdrawal symptom in itself.

49 minutes ago, TryingToHoldOn said:

am trying to keep calm and meditate every day

This is an excellent strategy. It's like putting money in a bank and before long you will get your payback.

50 minutes ago, TryingToHoldOn said:

She insists that I will never get well without the aid of a medication.

That's her experience. I'm big on pro reinstatement. It reduces suffering. But even if people decided to avoid the risk of possible adverse reaction, they also recover.

Your friend probably didn't see many experiences except her own.

Testing reinstatement of a tiny amount is an option (I must have suggested in early days, I always do). But since you decided to tough it out you are actually doing well.

53 minutes ago, TryingToHoldOn said:

am so grateful for even the smallest break from that.

This is the way to do it! I have a great confidence that somebody will stay off the drugs and recover once they are able not only to experience but to acknowledge however brief periods of relief (as opposed to focusing on the general feeling of unwellness).

I survived my CTs by just focusing on those initially tiny windows and did my best to ignore the rest.

Did you read success stories? That's a great resource for when we need to be reminded that we will recover.

• 2 weeks later...

Thank you again, Bubble.

Just some hope.  God knows I need any type of encouragement I can get.  I hope it helps others as well.

Trying, have you been able to catch a break?

PAST

Gabapentin:  about 6 months in 2015, 300-900 mg, cold turkeyed Sept 2015 (at same time dc'd Klonopin)

Klonopin: June 2014- Sept 2015; 1mg tapered over 6 mths, dc'd at 0.25mg, withdrawal hellish (perhaps because of concurrent dc of gabapentin)

Mirtazepine: Jumped off at 2.4 mg. (stable in 8 months).

Seroquel:  June 14 - July 24, 2016, 25 mg alternate nights; smaller doses for shorter periods. Total use about 3 months 

Lamictal: March 19, 2018 - 1 mg; March 23 - 1.25 mg; April 6 - 2mg. Discontinued at 2 mgJuly 1, 2018 due to Steven Johnson Syndrome.

CURRENT

Supplements: Vit D, turmeric

Naturethroid: 65 mcg for hypothyroidism

Trazodone: Oct 2015 - June 2016; 75 mg tapered over 2 mths, intense w/d after 3 weeks. Reinstatement: 07/25/16 - 25 mg; updosed 08/03/16 - 50 mg;  10/01/16-  62mg; 03/24/17 dropped to 50 mg (stable in 2.5 months)

Current psych meds: Trazodone 50 mg

T

thanks for posting the video. 

Was a good day for me to see it. I'm in need of a little hope. 

Lg

Lex  4.3mg,  3/2/18  Ativan ,5 mg,  lunesta 2 mg , toprol  25 mg                                                            

Oct 16-28 2018 C/O to 19 mg V from 1.5 mg Ativan, 1.3 mg lunesta 

jan 22 2019- 11 mg V

jan 23 - pneumonia, 2 AB’s. 

Hold taper

july 5- 10.72 V

July 6- 11 mg V- ugly bad

july 11- 10.72 mg V, 4.3 lex, 

25 mg toprol

On 11/14/2017 at 5:27 PM, Survivor1 said:

Trying, have you been able to catch a break?

Here and there, but the waves always come crashing down.  It’s mental torture, but I just have to keep pushing forward.  Hope things are nice and stable for you.  Thanks for checking in!

On 11/14/2017 at 7:29 PM, Littlegrandma said:

T

thanks for posting the video. 

Was a good day for me to see it. I'm in need of a little hope. 

Lg

LG,

I pray you are experiencing better days.  I’m glad this video gave you a little hope.  WD is extremely difficult to deal with.  

Thanks T

having a rough time right now. It is mental torture! I'm trying to be patient but I seem to be going backwards. Glad you're at least catching a break sometimes. 

Sometimes isn't enough.   Lg

jan 22 2019- 11 mg V

Hold taper

july 5- 10.72 V

25 mg toprol

Hey T,

How are you doing these days? I'm almost 5 months off 2 month taper of Prozac. Did you ever experience just plain terror around this time? It feels like the crap hit the fan around 4.5 months. can you relate to this? I'm just trying to find someone who knows what i'm talking about. I hope you are doing well and I will try to be of support in any way I can. thanks.

R

2007-2016- zoloft 100mg, klonopin 1mg

March 2016- Cold turkey off both

July 2016- Reinstated Prozac (after 3 months med merigo round)

July 2017- Off prozac after 3 month taper from 20mg

July 2017 MED FREE

Hello relentless27..

I just wanted to say I was on Prozac (but also on and off many others) so not sure if it's strictly was the Prozac but when I went off last year begin of Sept  the next 5 months were up and down but around the 5 month things started to get worse and each month since has just gotten worse.  I dont understand it.  

Do you have any other symptoms?

How were you doing the first 4 months off?

In June 2014 I was taking Celexa for 2 days, 25 mg zoloft 8 weeks, 10 mg Paxil 3 months and 10 mg Lexapro 1 month tapered off in 2 wks.. Was on a total of 6 months had side effects to them all. Went off and had my first panic attack a month later in January 2015. In March 2015 was having stomach issues and was put on Xanax for a week Dr. Said it was anxiety. End of that week woke up heart racing so was put back on Lexapro 5 MG and the next night is when my sleep got messed up. Literally not sleeping

Was it the Xanax or lexapro?? Went off sleep on and off and taking Xanax on and off. The end of April 2015 tried Buspar for 2 days and had side effects and could not sleep at all. Middle of May 2015 went on Ambien and lexapro again. Inner vibration started. Switched to paxil. Went off Ambien in June 2015 and off Paxil July 2015. October 2015 got worse went of zoloft 12.5 mg through December 2015. I was tolerating what I was going through January and February 2016. Then March got worse with horrible panic. Tried hypnotherapy in May 2016 a couple times couldn't Relax when she started counting backwards it freaked me out. Started not sleeping again in May. Went back on Xanax for 2 months May-July 2016. Tried liquid Prozac 5 mg then 10 mg side effects July - August then switched Zoloft 12.5 mg August - September 2016. Been off antidepressants since September 5, 2016. Been off Xanax since July 28, 2016, but I have taken it 8 other times since then through May 2017. Have symptoms going on with agoraphobia. Is this withdrawal??

May 2017 feeling horrible and more intense symptoms.

Hi BAT,

I think we are just in the thick of it right now. From what i've read and heard, this kind of delayed withdrawal is fairly common. The good news is you do recover. Ive seen more examples of recovery. The bad news is it's not going to happen on our timeline... It seems like the better part of a year to get some relief. What helps me is not trying to get rid of it with supplements and freaking out as little as possible. This is by far the most unfcomfortable Sh*tty thing ive ever experienced but i think if we leave it alone it will go away and all this will be just a memory. The first 4 months were ok, some disturbance seemed to creep in around month 3.5 and now at 10 days off 5 months it can get intense. Lots of fear and dread, agitation, restlessness etc. we are gonna be fine but its probably gonna suck pretty bad. hope you are well today. Accept Accept Accept.

July 2017 MED FREE

On 11/19/2017 at 10:50 AM, Littlegrandma said:

Thanks T

having a rough time right now. It is mental torture! I'm trying to be patient but I seem to be going backwards. Glad you're at least catching a break sometimes. 

Sometimes isn't enough.   Lg

I’m sorry to hear that. I hope you start feeling better soon.  WD is such a terrible mind game.  You deserve some relief!

On 11/22/2017 at 11:02 AM, Relentless27 said:

Hey T,

How are you doing these days? I'm almost 5 months off 2 month taper of Prozac. Did you ever experience just plain terror around this time? It feels like the crap hit the fan around 4.5 months. can you relate to this? I'm just trying to find someone who knows what i'm talking about. I hope you are doing well and I will try to be of support in any way I can. thanks.

R

Hi. I’m sorry you’re going through this.  How are you doing now?  From my personal experience, things were extremely intense for almost 8 months straight.  I still have a lot of WD symptoms, but thankfully they morph and change.  Fear/terror were excruciating for about 5 months.  I was terrified of everything and especially of being alone or alone with my children.  It was unreal.  The good news is it will eventually go.  Just hang on.  There will be days that you think you can’t endure it, but you will.  Of course, it may be replaced by another symptom until you’re well again.

Just recently i’ve seen some improvement so I can tell you from personal e perience that it can and does get better.  Maybe i’m just in a window right now, but I can honestly say this is the first time throughout my WD experience that I really believe I can heal from this.  

On 1.04.2017 г. at 8:19 AM, TryingToHoldOn said:

I was on sertraline 75mg for 2.5 years for postpartum depression.

I think its normal that you would have sleep problems after tapering. Seen lots of threads in the forum where people say something on the line of "I tapered now my sleep is 4, or 3 hours"

On 1.04.2017 г. at 8:19 AM, TryingToHoldOn said:

She put me on 20mg of latuda and increased it to 80mg within 4 months. At 80mg, I immediately experienced heightened anxiety, insomnia

Wow, that sucks, should have reinstated your original medication on a reduced dose, and given yourself time so your receptors can upgrade, or whatever it's called. I also visited a woman psychiatrist who prescribed me some kind of benzo when she heard I was in Paxil withdrawal. Never came back to her. Why would I add another medication when I know I'm suffering from stopping my previous one? Some people.

Stimulaton 50mg 28.11.2008 - 01.11.2011

PAXIL (Xetanor) 40mg;  30.11.2011 - 19.09.2017

Tapered : 19.09.2017 - 29.09.2017 20mg

Tapered : 30.09.2017 - 10.10.2017 5mg 

Reinstated : 03.11.2017;  5mg

14.11.2017 - 10 mg

13.12.2017 - 20mg

Hey T

so happy to hear you’re doing well. Gives us all hope.   Lg

jan 22 2019- 11 mg V

Hold taper

july 5- 10.72 V

25 mg toprol

Hi T,

Thanks for the update. that is extremely helpful. The last couple days have been decent. I seem to be super keyed up though, which is better than crazy terror/fear/doom but annoying none the less. I feel like a crack addict! Something just feels "urgent" all the time. Do you remember feeling like that?  i try not to listen to the stupid stories my mind comes up with like "oh my god i'm never gonna be better" or stuff like that because it's all BS! I'm already feeling like i've got this and i will recover. and i'm glad you are on the right track too. One other question I had was about alcohol, have you drank any alcohol during any of this? i'd be curious to hear your experience with it? I'm not a big drinker anymore but it seems now when i have alcohol it just intensifies things. I hope you are having a good day. Thanks.

July 2017 MED FREE

On 11/27/2017 at 11:25 AM, Relentless27 said:

Hi T,

Thanks for the update. that is extremely helpful. The last couple days have been decent. I seem to be super keyed up though, which is better than crazy terror/fear/doom but annoying none the less. I feel like a crack addict! Something just feels "urgent" all the time. Do you remember feeling like that?  i try not to listen to the stupid stories my mind comes up with like "oh my god i'm never gonna be better" or stuff like that because it's all BS! I'm already feeling like i've got this and i will recover. and i'm glad you are on the right track too. One other question I had was about alcohol, have you drank any alcohol during any of this? i'd be curious to hear your experience with it? I'm not a big drinker anymore but it seems now when i have alcohol it just intensifies things. I hope you are having a good day. Thanks.

Good to hear that you’ve had a couple of good days!  Don’t be surprised if the fear/terror come back in the future, but remember that it will leave again.  I don’t have the feeling of ‘urgency’, but I have experienced that keyed up feeling you mentioned.  I have struggled with insomnia since December 2016 and since that started I always have this wide awake electrical feeling.  You would think after almost a year of extremely poor sleep I’d be exhausted, but I never feel tired or sleepy.  It’s like my brain and body are always on.  TBH, I find this very disconcerting.  It isn’t normal at all, but I have hope given enough time it will resolve itself.

I have abstained from alcohol since WD.  In fact, i’ve eliminated caffeine and have greatly reduced my sugar intake as well.  From what i’ve read, alcohol and MJ can set people back in WD so why risk it?

Another thing I started doing is eating lots food rich in folate and low histamine foods.  Along with taking omega 3 supplements, I also drink a tablespoon of olive oil every day for ‘brain’ health.  Does all this help?  I *think* so because about a month later I started seeing some improvements.  OR it could have been the natural progression and the diet change was just coincidental.  Time is also your friend.

Hope things are manageable for you.  Let me know how you’re doing.

On 11/26/2017 at 5:15 AM, Krasiyan said:

I think its normal that you would have sleep problems after tapering. Seen lots of threads in the forum where people say something on the line of "I tapered now my sleep is 4, or 3 hours"

Wow, that sucks, should have reinstated your original medication on a reduced dose, and given yourself time so your receptors can upgrade, or whatever it's called. I also visited a woman psychiatrist who prescribed me some kind of benzo when she heard I was in Paxil withdrawal. Never came back to her. Why would I add another medication when I know I'm suffering from stopping my previous one? Some people.

I agree with you on everything and could have saved myself a lot of pain.  But, that’s why this site exists because we trust our doctors and learn the hard way that they are clueless when it comes to psych drugs.  Blind trust - never again.

I hope you are doing well.

On 11/26/2017 at 5:31 AM, Littlegrandma said:

Hey T

so happy to hear you’re doing well. Gives us all hope.   Lg

Thanks LG.  I’m praying this is my turning point, but I suspect there will be a few more hiccups along the way.  Either way, i’ll take this window , improvement, or whatever you want to call it.  It beats crying for hours on end and having suicidal thoughts 24/7.

How are you doing?  Any relief at all?  I think you’ll get there.  It’s taken me 8 months to get to the point where I didn’t feel like I was dying every day.  Healing happens very slowly, so slow you don’t even notice it’s happening until one day you do.

Wish you all the best in this journey.  

On 27.11.2017 г. at 8:25 PM, Relentless27 said:

Hi T,

Thanks for the update. that is extremely helpful. The last couple days have been decent. I seem to be super keyed up though, which is better than crazy terror/fear/doom but annoying none the less. I feel like a crack addict! Something just feels "urgent" all the time.

I have something like that going on right now, and I think its becauze the nervous system is overreacting. Even small daily tasks for me feel overwhelming , and overstimulating. Its amazing how a person could become so sensative.

Edit: Thanks TryingToHoldOn, yes even though I'm very fragile right now, its way better than I used to be in the beginning of my withdrawal. We all will heal, but slowly.

Stimulaton 50mg 28.11.2008 - 01.11.2011

PAXIL (Xetanor) 40mg;  30.11.2011 - 19.09.2017

Tapered : 19.09.2017 - 29.09.2017 20mg

Tapered : 30.09.2017 - 10.10.2017 5mg 

Reinstated : 03.11.2017;  5mg

14.11.2017 - 10 mg

13.12.2017 - 20mg

8 hours ago, TryingToHoldOn said:

Thanks LG.  I’m praying this is my turning point, but I suspect there will be a few more hiccups along the way.  Either way, i’ll take this window , improvement, or whatever you want to call it.  It beats crying for hours on end and having suicidal thoughts 24/7.

How are you doing?  Any relief at all?  I think you’ll get there.  It’s taken me 8 months to get to the point where I didn’t feel like I was dying every day.  Healing happens very slowly, so slow you don’t even notice it’s happening until one day you do.

Wish you all the best in this journey.  

Thanks T

i know how you’ve struggled. I’ve worried about you and am so happy you’ve finally got a moment of peace. I hope it continues.

It sure gives me hope. I’ve got a long way to go with this taper but your success story let’s me know for a fact that we all heal. I’ve been in your shoes and knowing I can come out the other side gives me incentive to plod on. 

Hiccups youll handle. They’re temporary. Thanks for sharing your story. Best of luck to you. Enjoy your life!!   xx lg

jan 22 2019- 11 mg V

Hold taper

july 5- 10.72 V

25 mg toprol

Hi T,

how are you getting along? I had a super sh*tyy day today. The fear was overwhelming and it felt like an elephant was standing on my chest. I get afraid i will be stuck like this forever. I know its irrational but its hard to see it as such sometimes. Anyway i hope you are still doing well. Take care.

R

July 2017 MED FREE

• Mentor
On 11/22/2017 at 10:02 AM, Relentless27 said:

It feels like the crap hit the fan around 4.5 months.

On 11/22/2017 at 10:02 AM, Relentless27 said:

This has been so true for me. I just hit 8 months from CT and, while grinding and suicidal waves come crashing down still, months 4-5 were incredibly horrible.

This video was great "toxic neuro-poisons" that are "drugs not medication." Yes! The anxiety and effects we have in WD are much more intense than the original symptoms.

• Prozac | late 2004-mid-2005 | CT WD in a couple months, mostly emotional
  • Sertraline 50-100mg | 11/2011-3/2014, 10/2014-3/2017
  • Sertraline fast taper March 2017, 4 weeks, OFF sertraline April 1, 2017
  • Quit alcohol May 20, 2017
  • Lifestyle changes: AA, kundalini yoga

"If you've seen a monster, even if it's horrible, that's evidence of divinity." – Damien Echols

On 11/30/2017 at 5:29 AM, Littlegrandma said:

Thanks T

i know how you’ve struggled. I’ve worried about you and am so happy you’ve finally got a moment of peace. I hope it continues.

It sure gives me hope. I’ve got a long way to go with this taper but your success story let’s me know for a fact that we all heal. I’ve been in your shoes and knowing I can come out the other side gives me incentive to plod on. 

Hiccups youll handle. They’re temporary. Thanks for sharing your story. Best of luck to you. Enjoy your life!!   xx lg

Hi LG,

Healing is definitely non-linear and I was thrown back into a wave.  The entire process is ridiculous, but what can we do?  That being said, I still believe my baseline is better and I am more ‘functional,’ but still a long way from recovered or even being close to my normal self.  I can’t wait until this is over for good!

How are you doing?  I hope things are going well.

On 12/3/2017 at 5:59 PM, Relentless27 said:

Hi T,

how are you getting along? I had a super sh*tyy day today. The fear was overwhelming and it felt like an elephant was standing on my chest. I get afraid i will be stuck like this forever. I know its irrational but its hard to see it as such sometimes. Anyway i hope you are still doing well. Take care.

R

Hi R,

I can totally relate as i’ve had several sh*tty days myself.  You’re in the early stages.  At 4.5 months off I was still in the worst of it.  Crying 4-5 hours, terrified of everything, anxiety through the roof, etc.  I spent many days hiding underneath my covers in bed - no joke.  It will get better.  As time goes on, you’ll see how things morph and change, revert back, move forward, etc.  It’s like entering new phases of hell.  Is it better?  Yes and no.  The new hell phase can be less overtly intense, but it feels like unending torture as well.  The good is your baseline and windows should gradually become better and somestimes longer.  This helps you cope with the waves that take you back to square one.

Feelong that you’ll be stuck like this forever is a WD symptom.  I completely understand it though.  For the first 7 months I would have long hysterical crying spells that lasted 4-5 hours almost every day.  I thought I was emotionally screwed for life.  Then in October, I only cried12 days and those spells lasted any where from 5 mins to 2 hours.  In November, I had 4 days of ‘weepiness’ that lasted 5-10 min and one spell that lasted 30min.  Anyway, my whole point of the story is symptoms lie to you. After 7 months of crying of course I believed I was doomed, but things change and improve at a ridiculously slow pace.

I am far from being healed and still very sick in many ways, but am more ‘functional’ these days.  Hope that gives you hope.

Hang on.  I’ve communicated with a few who are recovered or have seen vast improvements and they’ve told me that the first year to year and a half are the toughest.

How are you today?

On 12/3/2017 at 7:44 PM, FarmGirlWorks said:

This has been so true for me. I just hit 8 months from CT and, while grinding and suicidal waves come crashing down still, months 4-5 were incredibly horrible.

This video was great "toxic neuro-poisons" that are "drugs not medication." Yes! The anxiety and effects we have in WD are much more intense than the original symptoms.

FGW,

I agree, for me months 1-6 were just about unbearable.  Month 8 still sucks the big one, but definitely better than earlier months!

One day at a time!  You’ve come a long way and it has to get better from here!

• Mentor

Thanks, Trying... and "good" to know that 12-18 months is most likely the worst of it. I wish it was over right now. I've heard from a person who went thru it that it took her a good year to kick Zoloft (and she is still on lemotrigine/Lamictal, so I don't consider that total recovery). I was doing okay for a few days and then was triggered last night and have had anxiety chemicals crashing down my body -- I can almost feel them seeping into every cell -- for the last 18 hours. Deep breaths, deep breaths.

• Prozac | late 2004-mid-2005 | CT WD in a couple months, mostly emotional
  • Sertraline 50-100mg | 11/2011-3/2014, 10/2014-3/2017
  • Sertraline fast taper March 2017, 4 weeks, OFF sertraline April 1, 2017
  • Quit alcohol May 20, 2017
  • Lifestyle changes: AA, kundalini yoga

"If you've seen a monster, even if it's horrible, that's evidence of divinity." – Damien Echols

On 12/5/2017 at 3:37 PM, FarmGirlWorks said:

Thanks, Trying... and "good" to know that 12-18 months is most likely the worst of it. I wish it was over right now. I've heard from a person who went thru it that it took her a good year to kick Zoloft (and she is still on lemotrigine/Lamictal, so I don't consider that total recovery). I was doing okay for a few days and then was triggered last night and have had anxiety chemicals crashing down my body -- I can almost feel them seeping into every cell -- for the last 18 hours. Deep breaths, deep breaths.

FGW,

Do you have physical symptoms or it is mainly anxiety?  I feel like i’m going crazy.  I’ve taken about 20 steps back and just can’t see ever getting out of this hell.