SurvivingAntidepressants.org is temporarily closed to new registrations until 1 April ×

OCD pills could be a weapon in the war on obesity: Common antidepressant could help people with compulsive eating habits choose healthy food

Distraut

Now they suggest treating eating disorders with Citalopram!!

OCD pills could be a weapon in the war on obesity: Common antidepressant could help people with compulsive eating habits choose healthy food

A common antidepressant could be used to help people with compulsive eating habits choose healthy food instead of fatty snacks, scientist have claimed.

In a series of trials researchers found that when people took citalopram, prescribed for depression and obsessive compulsive disorder (OCD), they were more likely to pick healthy food such as fruit over chocolate biscuits.

Ivo Vlaev, professor of behavioural science at Warwick Business School, who led the study, said the discovery could help in tackling the obesity crisis.

cannabis: Spring 2002 - Dec. 2007; regularly smoked, stopped cold turkey; symptoms: paranoid and depressed

Paroxetine: 20 mg July 2008, 40 mg October, 20 mg spring 2009, 0 mg summer 2009

Depakote (sodium valproate): October 2008 - Spring 2009

Haloperdidol 1 week Oct. 2008, H caused seizures, went to A&E;  stopped taking it.

Citalopram few weeks in the fall of 2009 to deal with withdrawal symptoms from stopping paroxetine

Paroxetine round 2: 20 mg Feb - summer 2010 -20mg don't remeber if I went up to 40mg

Venlafaxine & sodium valproate (again): Sep 2010 - Summer 2012  

SERTRALINE: November 2012 - May 2016 , 50-100mg (few days @ 150mg in Summer '15). a complete freak out at the end of April. 

May 2016 Prescribed Lithium and Abilify HAVE NOT TAKEN

No medications May 2016 - October 2016

Hospitalised - November 13th 2016 - Prescribed 15 mg Mirtazapine/Remeron. Reducing since 24 December 2016.  9 June 2017 medication free. 

I dont know what to say ...this is the biggest piece of BS i've read so far this year and not to mention the most dangerous.

Why only last week a friend attended the funeral of someone trying to get off citalopram. This drug will so alter the mind that forget unhealthy or healthy eating choices it will push you to choose death over life....and thats a lot more irreversible than eating a few too many McDonalds happy meals.

Just when i thought there was an increasing voice against these chemicals, this nonsense comes out.

Thought for the day: Lets stand up, and let’s speak out , together. G Olsen

We have until the 14th. Feb 2018. 

URGENT REQUEST Please consider submitting  for the petition on Prescribed Drug Dependence and Withdrawal currently awaiting its third consideration at the Scottish Parliament. You don't even have to be from Scotland. By clicking on the link below you can read some of the previous submissions but be warned many of them are quite harrowing.

http://www.parliament.scot/GettingInvolved/Petitions/PE01651   

Please tell them about your problems taking and withdrawing from antidepressants and/or benzos.

Send by email to petitions@parliament.scot and quote PE01651 in the subject heading. Keep to a maximum of 3 sides of A4 and you can't name for legal reasons any doctor you have consulted. Tell them if you wish to remain anonymous. We need the numbers to help convince the committee members we are not isolated cases. You have until mid February. Thank you

Recovering paxil addict

None of the published articles shed light on what ssri's ... actually do or what their hazards might be. Healy 2013. 

This is so true, with anything you get on these drugs, dependance, tapering, withdrawal symptoms, side effects, just silent. And if there is something mentioned then their is a serious disconnect between what is said and reality! 

"Every time I read of a multi-person shooting, I always presume that person had just started a SSRI or had just stopped."  Dr Mosher. Me too! 

Over two decades later, the number of antidepressant prescriptions a year is slightly more than the number of people in the Western world. Most (nine out of 10) prescriptions are for patients who faced difficulties on stopping, equating to about a tenth of the population. These patients are often advised to continue treatment because their difficulties indicate they need ongoing treatment, just as a person with diabetes needs insulin. Healy 2015

I believe the ssri era will soon stand as one of the most shameful in the history of medicine. Healy 2015

Let people help people ... in a natural, kind, non-addictive (and non-big pharma) way. J Broadley 2017

I noticed in the  commercial for the new weight loss drug Contrave, it contains Wellbutrin!

where will it end?

went on Prozac 1994-99,60mg.poopout ct  back on 2001-2002,prozac weekly 2002,not working,Effexor 75 mg.?2003-mar.2004 gaining weight 8wk. taper,wellbutrin 150 mg.mar. -may 2004 ctmedfree til july 2005 back to Prozac gaining weight again,back on wellbutrin jan.2006150-300 mg.bad constipation.also was taking aygestin(hormone)perimenopausal irregular bleeding.back on Prozac around sept,?2006,hysterectomy jan30.2007(adenomyosis)off&on Prozac til 2009,citalopram about 1 mo, April 2010 no effect,Effexor again may -mar, 2011.ct,Prozac aug,-dec, 2011 &sept-nov 2012,paroxetine oct,23 2013-may 4 2014 20 mgs.tapered 6 wks.-failed RI in Oct.2014-in protracted WD.started 10 mgs. Fluoxetine May 25 2021 .Stopped fluoxetine May 2022 at 5 mgs.

Well that drug is a no no same as most of the posion pills my ocd just rocket to another planet when i was handed that citalopram by doctors. I been saying this to myself since my torture started only if i was giving information about mindfulness and CBT without the AD i wouldn't be living in hell at this moment in time. I can't practice meditation because my symptoms have me crawling the walls my mind won't give me a few seconds to think for myself it's on a horrible auto show. It's true why didn't I say no to drugs. It will be haunting me for the rest of my days. Sorry about that little rant but drugs for ocd for me didn't work.

Important Information

Terms of Use Privacy Policy