Sign in to follow this  
malu

malu: Pristiq withdrawal

malu   
malu

Hi, this is my first post here, (your case is similar to mine - mod note: moved from Shaesurf's topic), my doctor recommended to me to stop cold turkey after six months and a half using Pristiq (before that I used Sertraline and I had a unbearable delayed withdrawal three months after I stop it cold turkey by medical recommendation, and the doctor didn't saw it as withdrawaw symptoms), and I on my own decided to cut the pills and I tapered for 8 weeks (54 days), that way: first week 3/4, second and third weeks 1/2, fourth week 3/8, fifth and sixth weeks 1/4, seventh week 1/8 and the eighth and last week 1/16. And then I started meditating (I went to a 10 day vipassana meditation retreat the day I stopped), and I had just a little bit of anxiety after the retreat and a hang-out like discomfort sometimes when I wake up but that's it. Tomorrow it will be one month since I stopped it and I'm doing fine so far. I take magnesium supplement, Lugol's iodine solution at 5%, and eat only raw vegan food.

Edited by scallywag
tags; previous edit moved post from another intro topic

malu   
malu

Hello there, tomorrow it will be one month since I've stopped my tapering of Pristiq and I'm doing fine so far. I did it fast in comparison to this site's standards. I don't advocate doing anything that I did, I'm just stating it.

I will start with some background: I started taking Escitalopram on December 2012 for a episode of depression and anxiety I had that year, and used it from that date to october 2015. In 2015 I also used Nortriptyline (Pamelor) along with Escitalopram for 8 months more or less. Then I started using Sertraline from October 2015 to January 2016, and stopped cold turkey.

Four moths later I had unbearable withdrawal symptoms, I don't know if I can call that anxiety but I cound't concentrate, it was a torture.

My doctor thought I had bipolar disorder because of that, and disregarded it as withdrawal symptons and put me on Aripiprazole (Aristab), an atypical antipsychotic. The symptons worsened and I stopped taking it in less than two weeks.
Then he put me back on Sertraline and the symptons decreased but I would still feel that unbearable discomfort, specially on my legs and I felt like a zombie, I couldn't feel anything being on a concert, for example.

After two months back on Sertraline he put me on Pristiq and I haven't felt bad, and those feelings vanished. I was feeling all right but still wasn't feeling like myself. However not as zombie-like than as I was on Sertraline.

From July 2016 to the middle of January 2017 I took 50mg of Pristiq. I decided with my psychiatrist agreement that it was time to stop as I wasn't neither depressed nor anxious anymore. He recommended doing it cold turkey, and no one in the world would change he's mind. I then proceeded to cut the pills and tapered for almost 8 weeks (54 days).

I've tapered off of it this way:

First week I took 3/4 of a pill, the second and third weeks 1/2 of a pill, fourth week 3/8 of a pill, fifth and sixth weeks 1/4 of a pill, seventh week 1/8 and the eighth and last week 1/16 of a pill. 

During the tapering period I've felt some symptoms like anxiety, agitation and a hang out like discomfort when I wake up.

After the tapering I started meditating (I went to a 10 day Vipassana meditation retreat the day I stopped), and I had just a little bit of anxiety after the retreat and that hang out like feeling sometimes when I wake up (much more bearable than when I was tapering) and that's it.

I take a magnesium supplement, Lugol's iodine solution at 5%, and I eat only raw vegan food. Currently I'm also supplementing vitamins b12, b1 and b6.

Meditation is much more better than medication.

malu   
malu

Disregard the first post. It wasn't supposed to be my intro and I can't edit it.

ChessieCat   
ChessieCat

As you are already aware, Shaesurf's situation is very similar to yours.  I suggest you read the responses to Shaesurf so that you know what to do if your withdrawal symptoms worsen.

Altostrata   
Altostrata

Welcome, malu.

I congratulate you on tapering Pristiq in a systematic way, without skipping doses.

It sounds like you are taking care of yourself. You might want to take these supplements

King of supplements: Omega-3 fatty acids (fish oil)

Magnesium, nature's calcium channel blocker

Many people find them helpful.

Some people can get by with a fast taper. Please let us know how you're doing.

malu   
malu

Welcome, malu.

I congratulate you on tapering Pristiq in a systematic way, without skipping doses.

It sounds like you are taking care of yourself. You might want to take these supplements

King of supplements: Omega-3 fatty acids (fish oil)

Magnesium, nature's calcium channel blocker

Many people find them helpful.

Some people can get by with a fast taper. Please let us know how you're doing.

Hi, thank you, Altostrata. Today it's been one month without the drug. I want to add that when I was tapering and shortly after stopping I had very vivid dreams (not nightmares). And during the Sertraline withdrawal in the beginning of last year I think I had akathisia, along with the underlying anxiety.

malu   
malu

Update: a little bit more than to months later: bouts of anxiety and fatigue, it appeared just when I started taking spironolactone (50 mg) by the end of april (now I'm taking 200 mg of spironolactone).

malu   
malu

Update: Orgasm is stronger and faster to achieve. Since the beggining of 2013 when I was taking Escitalopram my orgasm started to fade, than eventually disappeared. I think I've got PSSD. Now that I stopped the use of antidepressants I've got the strongest orgasm since 2013, but it's not like it used to be. And it feels a lot different.

malu   
malu

Update: More than 3 months later, I stopped eating raw food, I'm still vegan and I'll die vegan, my blood exam showed me everything's ok, I just need to exercise.

I still feel a little bit anxious at times and with low energy. I don't wake up well most of the time, it feels like a hangover. But then some minutes later after waking up everything's normal again. Apart from that I'm doing ok. No depression, I felt sad at times but because of life events as any person would feel.

malu   
malu

Update: Depression came back even though I made a trip and saw dear friends in another city and I drunk last week (while travelling) and had a big depressive episode in the hangover, and I'm still feeling depressed right now. I haven't drink for more than a year before that, and now I know I really can't drink. I'm worried I'm feeling this depressed.

malu   
malu

Last wednesday I was in my lowest point in a long time, thinking of suicide, but I had better days right after that. I am still depressed but it's more bearable, and there's another reason for all this, a big heartbreak.

Also during my trip I also took half a quetiapine tablet (I think it was 25mg) for some days to help sleep.

nz11   
nz11

Malu 's' thoughts are a common wdl symptom but like you I found they would pass.

"D" is also a wdl symptom actually its not 'D' at all but wdl . 

Currently on no psychiatric medication and I intend to stay like that for now on.

Did you realise that  quetiapine is an antipsychotic ? That is a psychiatric chemical. It is very dangerous imo to take that for sleep. Are you able to find other nondrug sleep options.

imo You have tapered off the pristiq 50 mg too fast. and now getting hit by delayed wdl symptoms. Getting slammed three -four months out is very common...as you well know -refer post #1 above. 

Please be aware that if you run to the doctor regarding these wdl symptoms  an attempt will be made to push you back down the slippery sloped rabbit hole of pscyh drugs while being told verbal nonsense...as you well know.

Wishing you strength.

nz11

malu   
malu
17 hours ago, nz11 said:

Malu 's' thoughts are a common wdl symptom but like you I found they would pass.

"D" is also a wdl symptom actually its not 'D' at all but wdl . 

Currently on no psychiatric medication and I intend to stay like that for now on.

Did you realise that  quetiapine is an antipsychotic ? That is a psychiatric chemical. It is very dangerous imo to take that for sleep. Are you able to find other nondrug sleep options.

imo You have tapered off the pristiq 50 mg too fast. and now getting hit by delayed wdl symptoms. Getting slammed three -four months out is very common...as you well know -refer post #1 above. 

Please be aware that if you run to the doctor regarding these wdl symptoms  an attempt will be made to push you back down the slippery sloped rabbit hole of pscyh drugs while being told verbal nonsense...as you well know.

Wishing you strength.

nz11

Hi, yes, I did a lot of things I didn't had plans of doing in this trip, including drinking alcohol and taking quetiapine (I know it's a psychiatric chemical). Also paying for non-vegan food for friends. Thanks for the advice, I won't take that anymore (it was offered to me and I didn't think too much of it). My sleep is better now, it messed up with it for some days but now it's better. I also think I should have tapered Pristiq more slowly.

Yeah, I'm aware of that, I got depressed and anxious because of withdrawal. Do you think time can heal these symptoms? What do you think I can do to heal the withdrawal symptoms?

I'm thinking of taking ayahuasca after about 6 months without Pristiq for antidepressant purposes.

Thanks!

nz11   
nz11

Malu you dont have depression or anxiety what you have is drug wdl. If you use those words in front of a doctor that will be a trigger for more drugs and ridiculous labels.

It is best to avoid adding new drugs to the wdl process either legal or illegal natural or herbal.

I would think that would include brewing up vines and other ingredients from the amazon basin which may have a psychoactive property.

There are many links on this site regarding non drug coping strategies.

malu   
malu
13 hours ago, nz11 said:

Malu you dont have depression or anxiety what you have is drug wdl. If you use those words in front of a doctor that will be a trigger for more drugs and ridiculous labels.

It is best to avoid adding new drugs to the wdl process either legal or illegal natural or herbal.

I would think that would include brewing up vines and other ingredients from the amazon basin which may have a psychoactive property.

There are many links on this site regarding non drug coping strategies.

After the worst alcohol hangover of my life last month and the quetiapine side effects after just 2 or 3 days of taking 25 mg, I think my nervous system is very sensitized because of the time spent taking antidepressants, so yeah, it doesn't seem like a good idea taking anything like that.
I'll check them out.

malu   
malu

Update:

It’s been a while since my last update, I'm going to talk about the last two months.

In the middle of August I went to another 10 days Vipassana meditation retreat. I was feeling very anxious and also depressed. In the first day I felt extremely anxious, but there was something else, I don't know if it was akathisia, it was a feeling of discomfort, a feeling of extreme agony that comprised a feeling of burning from inside of my body like I was on fire, and specially in my feet, in the same manner it manifested during the Sertraline withdrawal on the beginning of last year. I thought of leaving but I decided to stay at least one more day. During the second day the anxiety and depression decreased.

During the seventh day the unexpected happened, I was feeling so good, but so good I felt I really good flow of pleasure in my whole body that I even had a burst of laughter that felt like an orgasm. It was a feeling of ecstasy more intense than my actual orgasm that was affected by PSSD. All the time during the retreat I tried to remain equanimous with all the feelings. I wasn't desiring to reach this state when I reached it. There was no hungover after that.

After the retreat I felt much better than before, my anxiety and depression was basically gone. Then the anxiety came back but mildly. But it still felt a lot better than that depression and anxiety crisis I was having from the end of June to the middle of August. Also, that heartbreak I talked about was definitely gone. The retreat helped to decrease the attachments I had to people. In hindsight I think a lot of that anxiety and depression from july to august was due to being disappointed with these people I talked about.

From the end of August to October I felt mild anxiety, and wasn't noticeably depressed. I'm also noticing that feeling of discomfort I described before but mildly, I think it's a thing that is tied to the anxiety. On top of that I’m experiencing fatigue lately. My sleep is better since the retreat, I don't have that feeling that is like a hungover when I wake up. But I need plenty of sleep to be well rested. Nevertheless, I'm still feeling better than before the retreat. Maybe this is the so called window. I haven't maintained the practice of meditation but I should, it really helps in the healing process.

One week from now it will be 7 months since I stopped taking Pristiq.