Idyllwild

Recommended books

Idyllwild

SEE ALSO:

Hello, I am new to this forum and would like to know if anyone can recommend any reading on surviving after anti-depressants which helped them?

Thank you,

/Idyllwild

Edited by ChessieCat
Added link to Recommended Books on AD WD topic

Shanti

Hi Idyllwild, welcome to the forum :)

I haven't read anything in particular, except just browsing around the forum and asking questions that came up. In addition to this website, I have one as well that has a lot of links. The link is listed in my signature.

How are you doing?

myself

I would definitely recommend "Unstuck: Your Guide to the Seven-Stage Journey Out of Depression" by James S. Gordon. You can buy it used on amazon for about 6 bucks.

Idyllwild

>>User: 'myself' posted the following:

>>Posted 14 November 2011 - 09:22 AM

>>I would definitely recommend "Unstuck: Your Guide to the Seven-Stage Journey Out of Depression" by James S. Gordon.

>>You can buy it used on amazon for about 6 bucks.

Thank you, 'myself' as well as 'Shanti' for your replies. I will check out the Gordon book when I go to the library. Hopefully, they will have this book since I"m currently experiencing budget stuff and am watching my funds. Also, Shanti, I started to look at your website:

'http://paxilwithdrawals.webs.com/aboutme.htm'

This is a cool website. I will especially go to the links:

Links

Surviving Antidepressants - A supportive and helpful forum community.

Beyond Meds - Links to professional papers to give your doctor.

Recommended Doctors - List of doctors that are informed of safe withdrawal methods.

Abchomeopathy

Paxil Facts

The Quantum Doctor

Giving Up Hope?

Suicide Hotline

I'm hanging in there. I wish I could say I everything is fine but I cannot say this. However, I am seeing a therapist who has mentioned that I get on anti-depressants. I used to take them from 1998-2008. So, I am somewhat familiar with taking them. I just want to look online and see if there are other ways of dealing with my stresses/problems than taking Anti-depressants. So, I have put it off and put if off but now I want to figure out how to take better care of myself. I'm currently just going through the motions. It's quite depressing. I'm going through many changes in life and live away from family and my support system. Anyways, it's been a real challenge and now that the holidays are coming up and I won't go to visit my family, it will be doubly hard to deal with life's stressors. Thanks for hearing me out. /Idyllwild.

myself

Hi again Idyllwild,

Sometimes the hardest step is just making the effort to discover better ways to take care of yourself, and then to make that effort to take care of yourself. So, I would say that you are on the right track- and you should definitely give yourself credit for that.

I definitely understand what it is like to just be 'going through the motions' of life. Perhaps you could ask your therapist to help you brainstorm ideas to put together a support system where you are living now. Also, I would tell them specifically that you are hoping to deal with this difficult time without the aid of anti-depressants. I have the feeling that many therapists consider taking that route to be standard...

I hope that you can find the Gordon book at your library, or something similar.

Here is another resource that I have found helpful:

http://www.mind.org.uk/

(a great UK based mental health organization, that has very helpful online pamphlets)

Take care!

Altostrata

Idyllwild, for some of us, learning how to take care of ourselves is hard. But rewarding in the long run -- you can manage without drugs.

Are you getting some exercise every day? This is really important. It can be just 30 minutes of walking.

InNeedOfHope

I am currently reading Anatomy of an Illness by Norman Cousins.(Some of you may have come across this already) Whilst there is no relation to AD's it is the inspirational story of how someone recovered from a supposedly incurable condition. It's emphasis is on how the mind can facilitate healing with positive influence and even placebo. It's basis is that if negative stressful emotions cause disease and illness, then the reverse ought to be true for positive thoughts and experiences (which is no mean feat for someone in withdrawal I know), but the important thing is the underlying principle. Anyhow, instead of scaring myself with the usual negative journal articles etc, I thought that if someone wants a boost this might be of value to someone.

Altostrata

Those concepts are very valuable, InNeed. Thanks for posting that.

Altostrata

Read any books lately you've found helpful?

Sunita

I posted a book recommendation in my introduction thread and Altostrata suggested I post the book here too. I highly recommend The Depression Cure, by Stephen Ilardi. It recently came out in paperback, and is a clinically tested 12 week program that cures depression through 6 lifestyle changes. I have suffered from chronic depression since I was 10 years old, and upon completing this program I was depression-free for the first time in 30 years. That's why I think if it worked for me it's worth a try for anyone. The lifestyle changes advised by the book include Omega 3, engaging activities, exercise, sunlight, social support and healthy sleep. I think I always knew that these lifestyle changes helped with depression, but what this book offers is a step by step encouraging program for actually making these changes. I am now tapering off Celexa and am experiencing withdrawal, but I really believe it is much more manageable than it would be otherwise because the program has given me a much more healthy lifestyle. Even if you don't want to do the program, I really recommend the book--it contains so much useful information and I think even following a few of the steps would help anyone tapering off antidepressants. Good luck everyone! Sunita

hippopotamus

Has anyone ever thought of making a book in which the most important info from sources like this forum about withdrawal is bundled?

I think that it could be an excellent help for people who want to withdraw. Any thoughts on this?

Altostrata

I like Joseph Glenmullen's The Antidepressant Solution (aka Coming Off Antidepressants). The big book on withdrawal has yet to be written....

hippopotamus

Yes I know the Harm Reduction Guide. But reading through the posts here, I see a lot of info that seems to be really valuable and important that isnt included in the guide.

I havent yet read the book by Joseph Glenmullen.

Jemima

I just read an excerpt from Glenmullen's book on Amazon, and I have a lot of trouble with his idea that depression that occurs one to two months after stopping an antidepressant is a relapse rather than a withdrawal symptom. Perhaps I'm in denial about my own lengthy period of feeling sad and apathetic after "tapering" off Lexapro far too fast, but I do think post-medication problems are both greater and more drawn out than Glenmullen understands. Labeling these lingering aftereffects as psychiatric symptoms can only do harm, IMO.

I've thought of writing about antidepressant withdrawal, but I'm not sure I've got the patience or the resources to do a good job of researching the facts. I do agree that the 'big book' has yet to be written. Oddly, Whitaker seems to come closest, while Healy, Breggin, and Glenmullen each seem to have groped only part of the elephant.

Altostrata

Glenmullen is not perfect, but he exhaustively explains withdrawal symptoms so patients and doctors can distinguish them from relapse.

Nikki

I am in the proces of reading one of Louse Hay's books.  Her message is that once she changed her thinking, she discovered a new found freedom and good things came into her life.

Everyday a Friday by Joel Osteen is very good.  For me I need to infuse these types of readings because I have had those imprinted and ingrained negative belief problems.

btdt
btdt

I think it was the Better Living book that has the story about medical people who took these drugs one day... the effects especially those that hit later on that they did not tell anyone about till one person broke open the silence ...was a very telling... as none expected the effects they were feeling to be related to the drug as this is not what they expected of the drug based on the literature.  

fefesmom

Just heard about this author: Al Galves. I think he is a psychologist. He has a website and has written a few books. One is Harness Your Dark Side... and one, with Ian White, is called Beat Depression the Drug Free Way. Since I haven't read them (just got samples for my Kindle) I can't comment on them but the topics sound like he may be a hope for all of us. I have been on and off this site for a couple of years; just found this topic and am very glad to have found it. Best to all of us.

btdt

http://www.theinstituteforventurescience.org/

On this above website at this link 

(Psychiatry and Stories of Cutthroat Competition are listed separately below)

I found a lot of the books listed here that educated me to the point of what I can recall as my memory sucks and I also found many titles I have not yet read.... that appear related to our subject at hand. 

Medawar, Charles & Anita Hardon. Medicines Out of Control?: Antidepressants and the Conspiracy of Goodwill. Amsterdam: Aksant Academic Publishers, 2004

Bass, Alison. Side Effects: A Prosecutor, a Whistleblower, and a Bestselling Antidepressant on Trial. Algonquin Books, 2008

Breggin, Peter. Medication Madness: A Psychiatrist Exposes the Dangers of Mood-Altering Medications. St. Martin's Press, 2008

Caplan, Paula J. They Say You're Crazy: How The World's Most Powerful Psychiatrists Decide Who's Normal. Da Capo Press, 1996

Carlat, Daniel. Unhinged: The Trouble with Psychiatry — A Doctor's Revelations about a Profession in Crisis. Free Press, 2010

Diller, Lawrence H. Running on Ritalin: A Physician Reflects on Children, Society, and Performance in a Pill. Bantam, 1999

Frances, Allen. Saving Normal: An Insider's Revolt Against Out-of-Control Psychiatric Diagnosis, DSM-5, Big Pharma, and the Medicalization of Ordinary Life. William Morrow, 2013

Glenmullen, Joseph. Prozac Backlash: Overcoming the Dangers of Prozac, Zoloft, Paxil, and Other Antidepressants with Safe, Effective Alternatives. Simon & Schuster, 2001

Greenberg, Gary. Manufacturing Depression: The Secret History of a Modern Disease. Simon & Schuster, 2010

Healy, David. The Creation of Psychopharmacology. Harvard University Press, 2002

Healy, David. Let Them Eat Prozac: The Unhealthy Relationship Between the Pharmaceutical Industry and Depression. NYU Press, 2006

Healy, David. Pharmageddon. University of California Press, 2012

Horwitz, Allan V. Creating Mental Illness. University of Chicago Press, 2003

Horwitz, Allan V., Jerome C. Wakefield, & Robert L. Spitzer. The Loss of Sadness: How Psychiatry Transformed Normal Sorrow into Depressive Disorder. Oxford University Press, 2007

Kirsch, Irving. The Emperor's New Drugs: Exploding the Anti-Depressant Myth. Basic Books, 2010

Lane, Christopher. Shyness: How Normal Behavior Became a Sickness. Yale University Press, 2008

Moncrieff, Joanna. The Myth of the Chemical Cure: A Critique of Psychiatric Drug Treatment. Palgrave Macmillan, 2009 (revised ed.)

Watters, Ethan. Crazy Like Us: The Globalization of the American Psyche. Free Press, 2010

Whitaker, Robert. Mad in America: Bad Science, Bad Medicine, and the Enduring Mistreatment of the Mentally Ill. Basic Books, 2010 (2nd ed.)

Whitaker, Robert. Anatomy of an Epidemic: Magic Bullets, Psychiatric Drugs, and the Astonishing Rise of Mental Illness in America. Crown, 2010

O'Brien, Lawrence J. Bad Medicine: How the American Medical Establishment Is Ruining Our Healthcare System. Prometheus, 2004

Moynihan, Ray & Alan Cassels. Selling Sickness: How the World's Biggest Pharmaceutical Companies Are Turning Us All Into Patients. Nation Books, 2005

Petersen, Melody. Our Daily Meds: How the Pharmaceutical Companies Transformed Themselves into Slick Marketing Machines and Hooked the Nation on Prescription Drugs. Picador, 2009

This list is a very very small part of the site above worth looking at if you like this sort of thing.  I have read some of the books but many are new to me.  
I was lead to this site from a utube video about the ills of science. 

link above if you like that sort of thing. 

nz11

What was the name of that book i saw Altostrata and another person recommend ...by some guy GlenMullen? not sure on the name ...had the wdl checklist in the back.

Id like to buy it.

I'll keep looking and if i find it i'll report back here. Is it the one listed above?

found it its 'The antidepressant solution' by Joseph Glenmullan.

I'm off to the book depository to order it.

Lasttime i ordered one from online a second hand one for $1 i think it was they then charged me $35 for postage....i might as well have bought it new. Not falling for that one again!

nz11

Heres a book i have been slowly reading lately ..

Peter C Gotzsche 'Deadly medicines and organised crime How big pharma has corrupted healthcare' (New York :Radcliff publishing, 2013)

Gotzsche is  a world leader in critquing clinic studies.

22 chapters with 2 chapters on psychiatric drugs.

He doesn't hold back he has a lot of damning words to say about pharma. His telling of the commercialization of prozac reveals a truly sickening story.

Songbird

"Complete Self Help For Your Nerves" by Dr. Claire Weekes - effective techniques for dealing with anxiety, panic and the "sensitised" nervous system.

"Healing Without Freud or Prozac" by David Servan-Schreiber - outlines a number of non-med approaches to depression and anxiety, which have scientific research to back them up (for example exercise, fish oil, light therapy).  Not a comprehensive list, but shows that there actually are viable alternatives to meds.

dalsaan

The body remembers a 8 keys to trauma recovery by Babette Rothschild and
Healing Developmental Trauma by Lawrence Heller

For those who have trauma histories, particularly childhood trauma. Both authors are strong on the significance of the body and nervous system in trauma. Given I think withdrawal can itself create trauma responses and that many of us have trauma histories in our past I think these are useful

Dalsaan

UnfoldingSky

I haven't read this one but the blurbs I have read about it sound good:

Not Crazy: You May Not Be Mentally Ill  by Dr. Charles Whitfield

nz11

Just finished this week reading Alison Bass's book::

Bass, Alison. Side Effects: A Prosecutor, a Whistleblower, and a Bestselling Antidepressant on Trial. Algonquin Books, 2008

btdt above has already mentioned it.

I recommend it, i read it while riding the bike at the gym.

It is an easy read and tells the revealing human story of how 2 courageous woman  didn't give up on taking legal action in 2004 against GSK for fraud ..not revealing the negative adverse effects of paxil.

I felt disappointed though to discover GSK settled by only paying about 2.6 million ...they should have been hit with billions!

I bet they laughed all the way to their petty cash register!

Rose Firestein New Yorks led lawyer on the case said its not about money ...Rose Rose Rose !

btdt

What was the name of that book i saw Altostrata and another person recommend ...by some guy GlenMullen? not sure on the name ...had the wdl checklist in the back.

Id like to buy it.

I'll keep looking and if i find it i'll report back here. Is it the one listed above?

found it its 'The antidepressant solution' by Joseph Glenmullan.

I'm off to the book depository to order it.

Lasttime i ordered one from online a second hand one for $1 i think it was they then charged me $35 for postage....i might as well have bought it new. Not falling for that one again!

If your looking for his check list it is here in a pdf

http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/2390-dr-joseph-glenmullens-withdrawal-symptom-checklist/

btdt

Just finished this week reading Alison Bass's book::

btdt above has already mentioned it.

I recommend it, i read it while riding the bike at the gym.

It is an easy read and tells the revealing human story of how 2 courageous woman  didn't give up on taking legal action in 2004 against GSK for fraud ..not revealing the negative adverse effects of paxil.

I felt disappointed though to discover GSK settled by only paying about 2.6 million ...they should have been hit with billions!

I bet they laughed all the way to their petty cash register!

Rose Firestein New Yorks led lawyer on the case said its not about money ...Rose Rose Rose !

"Rose Firestein New Yorks led lawyer on the case said its not about money ...Rose Rose Rose !"

Perhaps Rose thought what we all did at one time that if the facts were known there would be sweeping changes... we now know that does not happen.  You may be perfectly correct... but how much money does it take to change things if the fines are 100 times more maybe they just get better at hiding things... real change would take more than money I just don't know what... would do it.  If that is what you mean?

nz11

Thanks btdt,

Glenmullens book just arrived in the mail i ordered it so got it.

In respect of Firestein... yeah i think the only thing that will change things is for some of these people to do time!

Lets face it NewYork city could have done with 2 or 3 billion dollars in the last few years!

westcoast
From RxISK: "Laurie Oakley has recently brought out a book, Crazy and it Was, that gives many vivid illustrations of the problems of coping with healthcare systems, especially mental healthcare systems.  Her account of what its like to deal with a doctor who just isn’t listening was particularly compelling.  We asked her to give some hints of the kinds of problems covered in more detail in the book here."  - See more at: http://wp.rxisk.org/over-the-top-tackling-medical-power/

This book was featured on RxISK this month.

The book is called "Crazy and it Was." The author had the usual problems with psych drugs and doctors. I ordered it from Amazon and will report back after I read it.

WC

Crazy-and-it-was.jpg

KarenB

These books gave me reasons to hope for healing again, after having arrived at the conclusion that nothing worked.  They turned me around, got me on a focused healing path.  I highly, highly recommend them.  And if you don't like reading, or need cheaper options, there's heaps of talks by Gabor Mate on You Tube. 

In the Realm of Hungry Ghosts:  Close Encounters with Addiction (By Gabor Mate)

When the Body Says No:  Exploring the Stress-Disease Connection (Gabor Mate)

In an Unspoken Voice:  How the Body Releases Trauma and Restores Goodness (Peter A Levine)

westcoast

Here is a book I do not recommend: Noonday Demon: An Atlas of Depression by Andrew Solomon. Andrew is the son of a pharma exec.

Here is a picture of the first page. See how quickly he gets to medications?

I am pretty sure we have discussed Solomon elsewhere on the site. I thought I would have a look at the book and bought it for Kindle. Luckily you can return Kindle books if you do it quickly!

(You cannot copy and paste from Kindle, hence the screenshot.)

Psych drugs make it easier to love and be loved? I don't know about that.