Risperdal

Shanti

Has anyone taken Risperdal? I am tempted to take it but want to research. I'm tired of the hallucinations and stuff. I don't want to screw up my w/d symptoms though. I don't know what to do.

Taper from Cymbalta, Paxil, Prozac & Antipsychotics finished June 2012.

Xanax 5% Taper - (8/12 - .5 mg) - (9/12 - .45) - (10/12 - .43) - (11/12 - .41) - (12/12 - .38)

My Paxil Website

My Intro

Nevermind. There's no way I can bring myself to take it. I'll get some more Homeopathic remedies for hallucinations and see if that'll do it. Gawd, I hate going to my doctor. I always feel so nervous around her and I feel like crud leaving there. Like there's no hope for me. She said "no MRI' and wants me to do physical therapy again. She said MRI's are for people with acute issues like an accident. I already had one done on my brain to check for MS. Soooo, I'll just do PT and pray I get a life back.

Xanax 5% Taper - (8/12 - .5 mg) - (9/12 - .45) - (10/12 - .43) - (11/12 - .41) - (12/12 - .38)

My Paxil Website

My Intro

I have briefly. For depression. No distinct effects good or bad

Pristiq tapered over 8 months ending Spring 2011 after 18 years of polydrugging that began w/Zoloft for fatigue/general malaise (not mood). CURRENT: 1mg Klonopin qhs (SSRI bruxism), 75mg trazodone qhs, various hormonesLitigation for 11 years for Work-related injury, settled 2004. Involuntary medical retirement in 2001 (age 39). 2012 - brain MRI showing diffuse, chronic cerebrovascular damage/demyelination possibly vasculitis/cerebritis. Dx w/autoimmune polyendocrine failure.<p>2013 - Dx w/CNS Sjogren's Lupus (FANA antibodies first appeared in 1997 but missed by doc).

MRI for neck? Why no? I don't understand.

Pristiq tapered over 8 months ending Spring 2011 after 18 years of polydrugging that began w/Zoloft for fatigue/general malaise (not mood). CURRENT: 1mg Klonopin qhs (SSRI bruxism), 75mg trazodone qhs, various hormonesLitigation for 11 years for Work-related injury, settled 2004. Involuntary medical retirement in 2001 (age 39). 2012 - brain MRI showing diffuse, chronic cerebrovascular damage/demyelination possibly vasculitis/cerebritis. Dx w/autoimmune polyendocrine failure.<p>2013 - Dx w/CNS Sjogren's Lupus (FANA antibodies first appeared in 1997 but missed by doc).

Yeah, she not only said no, but she got mad. She really made me feel like crud in that visit. I'm going to see another doctor. She said "Why do people always want an MRI on their back?" and now I think I should have said "Because they want to know what's wrong with them!". Grrr. I'm going to make an appointment at the Rancheria Clinic. They have real doctors there, they also have acupunturists, naturpaths, and reiki masters. I like the Native American Clinics, but it's just always so backed up and takes a long time to get in.

Oh she said "We are treating your back" and she said that the MRI is last resort because I do not want surgery on my neck and back.

My Paxil Website

My Intro

Yeah, she not only said no, but she got mad. She really made me feel like crud in that visit. I'm going to see another doctor. She said "Why do people always want an MRI on their back?" and now I think I should have said "Because they want to know what's wrong with them!". Grrr. I'm going to make an appointment at the Rancheria Clinic. They have real doctors there, they also have acupunturists, naturpaths, and reiki masters. I like the Native American Clinics, but it's just always so backed up and takes a long time to get in.

Oh she said "We are treating your back" and she said that the MRI is last resort because I do not want surgery on my neck and back.

Tough to know her reasoning or definiton of 'surgery'. Is she referring to 1) more invasie disc fusion, discectomy, etc. OR 2)less invasive outpatient procedures which may be classified as 'surgery' or 'interventional pain procedures'? I've had several MRIs of my Cervical spine over the years and they were used/interpreted differently by diff docs. Surgeon said 2mm disc bulge must be surgically removed immediately (no thanks!). My Interventional Pain doc (Anesthesia trained) used MRIs as a preliminary guide to do procedures under fluoroscopy (rhizotomy, facet blocks, medial branch blocks, epidurals). Hopefully she is aware of the interventional procedures and who to refer to (Anesthesia/Interventional MD, Physical Med & Rehab MD).

If you aren't comfortable w/her, good idea to find someone you can communicate with!

• Administrator

Shanti, as long as you have hallucinations, I think you should see a doctor who knows what he or she is doing. I've sent you info in a pm. Please consider putting your resources into that.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

Tough to know her reasoning or definiton of 'surgery'. Is she referring to 1) more invasie disc fusion, discectomy, etc. OR 2)less invasive outpatient procedures which may be classified as 'surgery' or 'interventional pain procedures'? I've had several MRIs of my Cervical spine over the years and they were used/interpreted differently by diff docs. Surgeon said 2mm disc bulge must be surgically removed immediately (no thanks!). My Interventional Pain doc (Anesthesia trained) used MRIs as a preliminary guide to do procedures under fluoroscopy (rhizotomy, facet blocks, medial branch blocks, epidurals). Hopefully she is aware of the interventional procedures and who to refer to (Anesthesia/Interventional MD, Physical Med & Rehab MD).

If you aren't comfortable w/her, good idea to find someone you can communicate with!

Yeah, I think you're right. After yesterday I realized I just can't talk to her, she doesn't listen. She had me have an MRI way back because my symptoms are much like MS. She didn't have a neurologist look at it, and said I didn't have lesions. My PT told me I should push to have a neurologist look at it. My Chiropractor told me that judging by my symptoms, if I do have MS lesions, they'd be in the cervical part and that wouldn't be on a brain MRI. So, I just need to go somewhere else. If I did have MS for example, there is treatment that can make the difference about how bad off you become. I'm wasting time.

Thank you Alto. I'll contact them.

My Paxil Website

My Intro

• Administrator

Seriously, Shanti. Stop messing around.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

Yeah, I got an appointment to go to the Indian Clinic to see the doc there. I'm through with my other doctor.

My Paxil Website

My Intro

• Administrator

Well, I would get off Cymbalta before trying Risperdal.

Oh, I'm not on Cymbalta now. I stopped that back in May when I started Paxil. Doctor switched me so I can take antipsychotics.

My Paxil Website

My Intro

• Administrator

Oops, sorry, I meant Paxil. What do you mean, your doctor thought Paxil went better with antipsychotics?

The FDA issued a warning about combining Paxil and Risperdal.

See http://www.mims.com/USA/interaction/Search/paroxetine%7Crisperidone

This is the official FDA info on Paxil: http://google2.fda.gov/search?q=cache:oQzSv2Yc1jEJ:www.accessdata.fda.gov/drugsatfda_docs/label/2008/020031s060,020936s037,020710s024lbl.pdf+risperdone+paroxetine&client=FDAgov&lr=&proxystylesheet=FDAgov&output=xml_no_dtd&ie=UTF-8&site=FDAgov&access=p&oe=UTF-8

In most patients (>90%), this CYP2D6 isozyme is saturated early during dosing with PAXIL. In 1 study, daily dosing of PAXIL (20 mg once daily) under steady-state conditions increased single dose desipramine (100 mg) Cmax, AUC, and T½ by an average of approximately 2-, 5-, and 3-fold, respectively. Concomitant use of paroxetine with risperidone, a CYP2D6 substrate has also been evaluated. In 1 study, daily dosing of paroxetine 20 mg in patients stabilized on risperidone (4 to 8 mg/day) increased mean plasma concentrations of risperidone approximately 4-fold, decreased 9-hydroxyrisperidone concentrations approximately 10%, and increased concentrations of the active moiety (the sum of risperidone plus 9-hydroxyrisperidone) approximately 1.4-fold.

http://www.furiousseasons.com/archives/2007/09/worse_than_vioxx_zyprexa_risperdal_clozaril_and_paxil_killed_thousands_of_americans_1.html

Shanti, this doctor has got to go.

Wow, thank you so much for finding that information for me! Yes, she has to go.

I don't remember what antipsychotic she had me on at first, but she said it couldn't be taken with Cymbalta. So she switched me to Paxil.

My Paxil Website

My Intro

• 1 month later...

Shanti,

I took risperdal and had a terrible experience. Exhaustion, cognitive problems, food cravings, weight gain, sleep problems, sex problems, cholesterol problems...

While I wasn't hallucinating I know of several schizophrenics who do have hallucinations. All took heavy doses of the atypicals including risperdal. And... I was surprised to learn that they continued to have hallucinations on these high doses... I don't speak to this group of guys too often but foor that downside you'd think they'd no longer think they were battling a dragon the night before or that "tree people" we're stalking them...

I hope you are doing better regarding hallucinations...that seems like an awful thing to experience.

"Well my ship's been split to splinters and it's sinking fast
I'm drowning in the poison, got no future, got no past
But my heart is not weary, it's light and it's free
I've got nothing but affection for all those who sailed with me.

Everybody's moving, if they ain't already there
Everybody's got to move somewhere
Stick with me baby, stick with me anyhow
Things should start to get interesting right about now."

- Zimmerman

Shanti~~

See Nadia's recent post about High Sensitivity ~thought you might relate to her ultra sensitivity to peoples' energy and the effect that removing the buffering serotonin has (allowing more stimuli in)•

That makes sense pharmacologically because serotonin and dopamine are competitive (more complicated than that but that's the general idea ~increase serotonin and it lowers dopamine)

Just an FYI

Okay, thanks Barb, I'm going to check her post. Alex, thank you for sharing that information. I'm not taking any anti-psychotics now. I'm even going off the Neurontin. I'm sick of all meds that cross the blood brain barrier, or whatever that's called. No more messing with my brain. I'm going all natural.

My Paxil Website

My Intro

Important Information

Terms of Use Privacy Policy