Vanora

A new petition started calling for action on prescription drugs like antidepressants and benzodiazepines.

Terry4949

I have viewed the meeting and I think it portrayed a very poor understanding of the use of antidepressants by those that claim to be the experts  , people should use the guidelines by the nhs in England on how to withdraw safely they state 2  to 4 weeks , ridiculous advice also from dr Mitchell withdrawel is mild and self limiting this man is a joke we have seen the thousands of innocent people harmed by these drugs and the damage cause by abrupt withdrawel from the medical profession . Surely they can’t keep burying their heads in the sand there was also no mention of the long term damage caused or the fact that people are left on antidepressants indefinitely, they just shut their eyes to it all , I wonder if dr Mitchell has ever taken a antidepressant I bet not 

powerback
13 minutes ago, Terry4949 said:

I have viewed the meeting and I think it portrayed a very poor understanding of the use of antidepressants by those that claim to be the experts  , people should use the guidelines by the nhs in England on how to withdraw safely they state 2  to 4 weeks , ridiculous advice also from dr Mitchell withdrawel is mild and self limiting this man is a joke we have seen the thousands of innocent people harmed by these drugs and the damage cause by abrupt withdrawel from the medical profession . Surely they can’t keep burying their heads in the sand there was also no mention of the long term damage caused or the fact that people are left on antidepressants indefinitely, they just shut their eyes to it all , I wonder if dr Mitchell has ever taken a antidepressant I bet not 

Thanks for the synopsis terry:) ,good on ye watching the whole thing ,I haven't the concentration .

By self limiting ,does he mean we are at fault for our own misery some how   I wonder .

Hopefully we get out of the trenches some day terry ,take care .

nz11
3 hours ago, Terry4949 said:

I wonder if dr Mitchell has ever taken a antidepressant I bet not

Thanks also from me to for the gist of it Terry.

Guarantee mr Mitchell has never taken an ad with that nonsense. 

There maybe something he has taken though....pharma monies....any disclosed interests from him.

Terry4949
7 hours ago, nz11 said:

Thanks also from me to for the gist of it Terry.

Guarantee mr Mitchell has never taken an ad with that nonsense. 

There maybe something he has taken though....pharma monies....any disclosed interests from him.

I agree nz11 I thought the same I wonder how much they stand to loose when big pharmaceutical put there hand in their pocket , keep us quiete or else , there was no compation for us , basically if we have a problem we need to go back to our doctor and get more drugs at higher doses , no recognition of any harm how these people sleep at night is beyond me 

Terry4949
10 hours ago, powerback said:

Thanks for the synopsis terry:) ,good on ye watching the whole thing ,I haven't the concentration .

By self limiting ,does he mean we are at fault for our own misery some how   I wonder .

Hopefully we get out of the trenches some day terry ,take care .

I think he does mean just that powerback , we are self limiting and that all our problems stem from our own doing and that they believe the help is there by seeing your doctor and getting higher doses of medications , no mention of the fact that the drugs don’t actually work , even though some of the leading doctors submitted reports on the damage they are causing , it’s always the sufferers fault 

Vanora

If you have the concentration you can read the report of first the Annette McKenzie petition re consent for mental health treatment for people under 18 and the second petition (ours) re prescribed drug dependence and withdrawal. 

https://www.parliament.scot/parliamentarybusiness/report.aspx?r=11316&mode=pdf  

Yes, all in all the Scottish Minister for Mental Health Maureen Watt and her psychiatric adviser Dr John Mitchell, displayed very little understanding of the issues around prescribed drug dependence and withdrawal. When a psychiatrist is at pains to suggest that severe antidepressant withdrawal symptoms are rare you have to wonder if this is plain ignorance or deliberate denial. At least there was an admission that there are no blood tests or brain scans to determine the cause of mental health problems. And as to whether Dr Mitchell has any ties to pharma, I have no idea. We are actually lucky to have the support of the likes of Dr Terry Lynch who apart from being a doctor and a psychotherapist is an outspoken critic of the medical model of psychiatry. Dr Mitchell told us that antidepressants don't produce tolerance but as we all know this isn't true and Dr Lynch intends to highlight this 'misinformation' by taking this up formally with the Scottish petitions committee. According to Terry SSRI tolerance has been mentioned in the medical journals for years and the medical term for drug tolerance is tachyphlaxis. We live and learn!

Although I felt that not enough of the right questions were asked there is little doubt the submissions made quite an impression on the committee members. The Convener talked about their 'significant impact' and given the distressing nature of the stories I wouldn't expect anything else. We haven't won the war but the battle continues on.    

Vanora

As we move to a third consideration of our petition on prescribed drug dependence at the Scottish parliament I would like to ask again if more people from here would like to make a submission detailing their problems taking and withdrawing from antidepressants and benzodiazepines. We need as many people as possible in order to show the magnitude of the problem and you don't have to be based in Scotland. Send by email to petitions@parliament.scot and quote PE01651 in the subject heading. Keep to a maximum of 3 sides of A4 and you can't name for legal reasons any doctor you've consulted. Tell them if you wish to remain anonymous. For those who feel they can't write too well, it doesn't matter. Every submission helps our cause even if it's just a few paragraphs.

To nz, did you ever receive an email from the petition clerks acknowledging your submission?  

nz11

No actually I didn't maybe I will email them to day and request and acknowledgement or confirmation it was received...

later...just went off a confirmation of receipt request now...lets see if they reply

Martina23

The same experience I made in Austria when I placed a complaint to Austrian ministery of health and a criminal complaint to the Austrian authorities that the clinical trials for Lyrica are manipulated - made by the scientists beholden + with financial interests to Pfizer. The biggest hospital here receives grants and research support from Pfizer and provides for them clinical trials for Lyrica claiming it to have "mild till none" withdrawal symptoms. 

No help. The woman was however so nice that she said I should turn to the press. I tried but 3 magazines  refused to report on "harmful medicaments + manipulated clinical studies".

Unfortunately the money comes from the other side :-)

But I admire you totally for such a good effort!  Sadly, they have lobbists directly in the parliament.

MaryDavid

Thats great i will send an email with my withdrawal experience in the next 2 days.

Vanora
4 hours ago, nz11 said:

No actually I didn't maybe I will email them to day and request and acknowledgement or confirmation it was received...

later...just went off a confirmation of receipt request now...lets see if they reply

They've been kept very busy nz so I'm not surprised. I hope they get back to you soon.

Vanora
3 hours ago, Martina23 said:

The same experience I made in Austria when I placed a complaint to Austrian ministery of health and a criminal complaint to the Austrian authorities that the clinical trials for Lyrica are manipulated - made by the scientists beholden + with financial interests to Pfizer. The biggest hospital here receives grants and research support from Pfizer and provides for them clinical trials for Lyrica claiming it to have "mild till none" withdrawal symptoms. 

No help. The woman was however so nice that she said I should turn to the press. I tried but 3 magazines  refused to report on "harmful medicaments + manipulated clinical studies".

Unfortunately the money comes from the other side :-)

But I admire you totally for such a good effort!  Sadly, they have lobbists directly in the parliament.

Thank you Martina23 it's a collective effort, all of us harmed by antidepressants and/or benzos and often much more besides. Lyrica was prescribed to me in antidepressant withdrawal, it's a terrible drug, they call it and Neurontin the new Valium and I can understand why. Pfizer was the company that paid over $2 billion in a massive fraud case back in 2009. The pharmaceutical industry seems to have a lot of influence in Scotland too Martina23, I just saw a newspaper article from 2015 - "doctors giving guidance on treatments and drugs available in Scottish hospitals and surgeries have been paid by major drug companies" and Pfizer was one of them. The whole system is rotten to the core. The Scottish government pledged to reduce the numbers of people taking antidepressants but the numbers continue to rise and I think they've since given up on the idea. Just like the benzodiazepines they don't want to admit there is a problem, they want to brush it under the carpet and there are too many vested interests at stake.

Just a thought but have you thought about starting your own petition on prescribed drug dependence and withdrawal, I'd sign and I know people in my group would do the same? 

Vanora
3 hours ago, MaryDavid said:

Thats great i will send an email with my withdrawal experience in the next 2 days.

Thank you so much MaryDavid, we aim to prove to the Scottish petitions committee that we are not isolated cases so every submission helps make that point.