Sign in to follow this  
zxcv

Do ssri's make you more shy?

zxcv

I mean, they've never done anything to help out with being shy even though they are supposed to help out with that. But I've been off and on ssri's for long time, is there any chance that they could be causing it or rather make it worse?

I guess what I'm trying to ask is because ssri's make you not feel feeling of love or reduced feeling of love. Is it possible that it's contributing to my shyness by not wanting bad enough to break out of it.

Also I don't really try to make friends with guys, because it feels like there's no point to it. I mean I pretty much just want to find a girl to love and marry her and spend the rest of my life with her.

zxcv

Accidental Post here. Sorry about that.

UnderPressure

Greetings from the U.P. of MI.

I think a hallmark of taking SSRI's is the loss of emotions. Most imparticular the feelings of joy and love.

I was on 3 mg of risperdone for about three months. And I felt absolutely nothing. While the drug did pull me out of a hypomanic episode, that seemed to be all it was good for.

Here I am about 8 months OFF risperdone and I am still feeling quite emotionless. It's hard to start, much less contribute to, a conversation.

There is hope though. The brain is a funny thing. It heals with time.

The process if different for everyone. Some people began feeling back to their old selves within a few months. There are some who have said that it took about a year to notice a change, then others still who didn't begin to see much change until 2 or three years.

I wish there was an easy answer to this. Unfortunately, there are chemical and biological factors that differ for everyone.

TikkiTikki

greetings

I feel as though being on SSRIs has dulled my ability to make and keep friends. I can do all the initial chatty stuff (though feeling v. self-conscious), but kind of back-off after that. IT feels like a chore rather than something pleasurable.

zxcv

greetings

I feel as though being on SSRIs has dulled my ability to make and keep friends. I can do all the initial chatty stuff (though feeling v. self-conscious), but kind of back-off after that. IT feels like a chore rather than something pleasurable.

So then it has a I could out and be with people, but it's too much of a pain. I'm going to stay home instead too? effect.

TikkiTikki

greetings

So then it has a I could out and be with people, but it's too much of a pain. I'm going to stay home instead too? effect.

Yeah - it was like that. And this is going to sound strange, but perhaps it was a bit like how sex can be affected on ADs? I would remember sex, and love my partner, but I didn't feel like going to all that trouble. The urge was gone, and without the urge, there was always something else that seemed a better use of time (even looking up random things on the internet or playing Bubble Witch). 

Maybe with friends I was a bit the same? Going through the motions because that's what I was used to doing, but without the real spark of connection, of enjoying getting to know someone or helping them or revealing myself that drives you on. And I felt self-conscious (because I always do), and ultimately a bit indifferent.

PapayaShake

greetings

I would remember sex, and love my partner, but I didn't feel like going to all that trouble. The urge was gone, and without the urge, there was always something else that seemed a better use of time (even looking up random things on the internet or playing Bubble Witch). 

Maybe with friends I was a bit the same? Going through the motions because that's what I was used to doing, but without the real spark of connection, of enjoying getting to know someone or helping them or revealing myself that drives you on. And I felt self-conscious (because I always do), and ultimately a bit indifferent.

I can say the same, I guess im able to talk to people and interact but rather on a very consious way, that park that made me be really intrested in people, and want to keep knowing them is gone, not to mantion that ive found that with this, people rather irritates me and I rather be alone. I don´t feel shy I actually lost most of my feeling, but it more an I'm not even intrsterested anymore

powerback

I reckon they make me weird,the last few months at my worst I feel like I have border line personality disorder something like autism ,no disrespect to autism ,we are wrighting the research here for the big mafia (pharma).

powerback

greetings

I would remember sex, and love my partner, but I didn't feel like going to all that trouble. The urge was gone, and without the urge, there was always something else that seemed a better use of time (even looking up random things on the internet or playing Bubble Witch). 

I can say the same, I guess im able to talk to people and interact but rather on a very consious way, that park that made me be really intrested in people, and want to keep knowing them is gone, not to mantion that ive found that with this, people rather irritates me and I rather be alone. I don´t feel shy I actually lost most of my feeling, but it more an I'm not even intrsterested anymore

I relate to alot you say here, especially about being around people , extremely iratable for me.i wonder if it's to do with that we have to cope with such pain and misery that we just can't relate to so called normal peoples run of the pill everyday issues , because these become non senceical to us interesting I reckon

PB

zxcv

Would this also have effect on your ability to read other people and how they are feeling?

powerback

Would this also have effect on your ability to read other people and how they are feeling?

I think so ,I feel like I bring some kind of neuro emotion to a situation so I spend the time watching for this rather than been totally in the moment I'm in ,only yesterday I took up a text totally wrong ,and an hour later I realised what it really meant, thankfully I didn't  let it escalate .what ever torture is going on in my brain makes every decision a pain.

if your dating or in a new relationship reading someone could be an issue .

also for a long time I haven't had that gut feeling about things and people .

most days I limit my interaction with people ,its just easier on me