SurvivingAntidepressants.org is temporarily closed to new registrations until 1 April ×

☼ Sunnyday: go back up in dosage?

Sunnyday

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi! English is not my first language so I apologize if my texts are confusing, same with my signature. 

I quit the last 5 mg escitalopram/cipralex 3 weeks ago. When I went down from 10 to 5 mg nothing got better so I started reading about tardive dysphoria which made me very eager to quit my medication completely. I also found out about 6 months ago that quitting 5 mg at a time is way too drastic for someone who has been using the medication for years, but I figured i'd just endure this last time.

The problem is that I've now found out from reading on this site and on other places that some of the side effects might become permanent. So my question now is, should I go back up to 5-4 mg, and then slowly go down 1 mg at a time from there? Or should I just wait this out when it has already been 3 weeks. I'm willing to wait it out if it gets better. But if there are big risks about doing what i'm doing right now i'm gonna go back up if that's your advice.

Ps: I do feel horrible physically and mentally and can practically not be around people, but as I said i'm willing to endure it if it gets better.

I can't trust my doctors anymore, they want to make me go back up to max dosage with both voxra and cipralex + start giving me more benzo for no good reason. Which is why I'm asking here, the people here seem to have good knowledge about this.

TL;DR: Go back up to 5 mg and go down 1 mg at a time or endure this and wait for it to get better?

2011-2015: Escitalopram (Cipralex) 20 mg, Voxra 300 mg (quit Voxra in late 2015, no issues)

2016: Started tapering Escitalopram 5 mg at a time, every fourth week

July 24th, 2016: Escitalopram 5 mg

April 2nd, 2017: Quit last dosage (WD worsened a lot)

Ca 6 last months of 2017: Taking Diazepam 15-25 mg irregularly, less than once a month

Ca Dec 2017: Out of Diazepam, i.e free from all prescribed drugs

Now: Still drug free

Supplements: Irregular intake of Omega-3, magnesium, vitamin D.

• Moderator Emeritus

Welcome,

Your English is fine.

Thank you for filling in your signature. Please would you add the date you stopped taking Cipralex.

You mentioned benzos, are you taking these also? If so, please would you add those to your signature, even if you only take them occasionally. Having a complete drug and tapering history in your signature helps people get a clear understanding of your situation. The previous 2 years is the most important.

You tapered much too fast. 5mg is not a small amount, that was my full dose for the 6 years I was taking escitalopram. We suggest reducing by no more than 10% of the current dose every 4 weeks, this reduces the risk of withdrawal symptoms arising. Please read through this which will explain why:

Why taper by 10% of my dosage?

Its great that you found us and are asking for advice now, because you are still in a good time frame for when reinstatement is likely to help. When you stop taking an antidepressant too fast, withdrawal symptoms can sometimes last a long time, especially if you have been on the drug long term.

Withdrawal syndrome can last for months and in some cases years. I came off the same drug too fast at the end of 2010, after being on antidepressants for 13 years, and I'm still not completely recovered. By the time I learned about withdrawal, it was too late for me to go back on the drug and taper slowly.

You will get better, but its impossible to know how long it will take.

Reinstatement of a small amount of the drug can often work well to alleviate withdrawal symptoms. According to medical knowledge, reinstatement is the only way to alleviate withdrawal. Reinstatement is best done immediately upon appearance of symptoms. The more time that passes, the less likely it is to work. Once you have stabilized on a low dose of the drug, then a slower, safer taper can be started. Here is some information about reinstatement to help you decide if its something you would like to try:  About reinstating and stabilizing to stop withdrawal symptoms

Because you have been off the drug for 3 weeks, and stopped from 5mg,  I would suggest you try going back onto 2.5mg and see how you feel.

Here are our tips for tapering Cipralex, where you can find methods of dividing your dose into small quantities:

Tips for tapering off Lexapro (escitalopram)

Please read through the links and come back here to your thread if you have any questions.

Stay in touch and let us know what you decide, we will be here with help and support if you need it.

Petunia.

Edited by ChessieCat
name change

I'm not a doctor.  My comments are not medical advise. These are my opinions based on my own experience and what I've learned. Please discuss your situation with a medical practitioner who has knowledge of tapering and withdrawal...if you are lucky enough to find one.

My Introduction Thread

Full Drug and Withdrawal History

Brief Summary

Several SSRIs for 13 years starting 1997 (for mild to moderate partly situational anxiety) Xanax PRN ~ Various other drugs over the years for side effects

2 month 'taper' off Lexapro 2010

Short acute withdrawal, followed by 2 -3 months of improvement then delayed protracted withdrawal

DX ADHD followed by several years of stimulants and other drugs trying to manage increasing symptoms

Failed reinstatement of Lexapro and trial of Prozac (became suicidal)

May 2013 Found SA, learned about withdrawal, stopped taking drugs...healing begins.

Protracted withdrawal, with a very sensitized nervous system, slowly recovering as time passes

Supplements which have helped: Vitamin C, Magnesium, Taurine

Bad reactions: Many supplements but mostly fish oil and Vitamin D

June 2016 - Started daily juicing, mostly vegetables and lots of greens.

Aug 2016 - Oct 2016 Best window ever, felt almost completely recovered

Oct 2016 -Symptoms returned - bad days and less bad days.

April 2018 - No windows, but significant improvement, it feels like permanent full recovery is close.

VIDEO: Where did the chemical imbalance theory come from?

VIDEO: How are psychiatric diagnoses made?

VIDEO: Why do psychiatric drugs have withdrawal syndromes?

VIDEO: Can psychiatric drugs cause long-lasting negative effects?

VIDEO: Dr. Claire Weekes

• Moderator Emeritus
On 2017-04-24 at 0:46 AM, Petunia said:

Welcome LouBlue,

Your English is fine.

Thank you for filling in your signature. Please would you add the date you stopped taking Cipralex.

Thank you, I've added that info to my signature now.  

Do you think it's okay to cut the pills instead of taking it in liquid form? At least in the beginning if I cut a 10 mg pill in 4 pieces. I did see some people in the threads you linked did cut pills instead of taking liquid but I got the impression they saw it as a risk, since it was difficult to get an exact dosage. Maybe I can ask the doctor to give me 5 mg pills again, even though the doctor I got the last time was very stubborn and did not want to listen to me at all. If my only option is to cut the 10 mg in 4 pieces, do you think that's okay? I just tried cutting them and they don't look uneven in that way.

Thank you for the links and for taking the time. I have no one else to ask for help that has the knowledge so I'm very happy that I found this place.

Edited by scallywag
trimmed quote to relevant portions

2011-2015: Escitalopram (Cipralex) 20 mg, Voxra 300 mg (quit Voxra in late 2015, no issues)

Ca 6 last months of 2017: Taking Diazepam 15-25 mg irregularly, less than once a month

• Moderator Emeritus

Yes, it would be ok to cut your pills to start with, but when you start tapering, you will need to learn how to use a more accurate method. Here is some information about cutting pills:

How to cut up tablets or pills

And more information which may be helpful later:

Preparing to taper

How to calculate dosages?

How to make a liquid from tablets or capsules

Using an oral syringe and other tapering techniques

Using a digital scale to measure doses

I'm not a doctor.  My comments are not medical advise. These are my opinions based on my own experience and what I've learned. Please discuss your situation with a medical practitioner who has knowledge of tapering and withdrawal...if you are lucky enough to find one.

My Introduction Thread

Full Drug and Withdrawal History

Brief Summary

Several SSRIs for 13 years starting 1997 (for mild to moderate partly situational anxiety) Xanax PRN ~ Various other drugs over the years for side effects

2 month 'taper' off Lexapro 2010

Short acute withdrawal, followed by 2 -3 months of improvement then delayed protracted withdrawal

DX ADHD followed by several years of stimulants and other drugs trying to manage increasing symptoms

Failed reinstatement of Lexapro and trial of Prozac (became suicidal)

May 2013 Found SA, learned about withdrawal, stopped taking drugs...healing begins.

Protracted withdrawal, with a very sensitized nervous system, slowly recovering as time passes

Supplements which have helped: Vitamin C, Magnesium, Taurine

Bad reactions: Many supplements but mostly fish oil and Vitamin D

June 2016 - Started daily juicing, mostly vegetables and lots of greens.

Aug 2016 - Oct 2016 Best window ever, felt almost completely recovered

Oct 2016 -Symptoms returned - bad days and less bad days.

April 2018 - No windows, but significant improvement, it feels like permanent full recovery is close.

VIDEO: Where did the chemical imbalance theory come from?

VIDEO: How are psychiatric diagnoses made?

VIDEO: Why do psychiatric drugs have withdrawal syndromes?

VIDEO: Can psychiatric drugs cause long-lasting negative effects?

VIDEO: Dr. Claire Weekes

• 2 months later...
  • Moderator Emeritus

Hi. I have just read brassmonkey's thread about Emotional spirals, and Healing's thread about neuro-emotions. Both had great information and I can relate a lot. This has been the worst part for me during withdrawal.

My biggest fear is that this will be something permanent. I was never like this before. I made confrontations only when I really needed to and stayed calm most times. I was rarely aggressive or someone who acted out without good reason, I think family and friends would agree on that. 

My personality has changed drastically for the worse.

I can handle this better if I know it's not something permanent, that this just like some of the physical symptoms will pass. Is it a possibility that these strong emotions that are very illogical and unjustified (and extremely hard to control) will become permanent? Or will I become my old self, sooner or later? I understand that it takes time, in any case.

Thank you

Edited by scallywag
merged topic "Permanent? (personality change)" in Symptoms

Hi -

This is not a permanent change. You will become your old self. Actually, you will likely become an even better version of you for having gone through this. A you that is more aware of how he wants to think and act and treat others.

Your brain and body are recovering their balance. It takes time. As you heal, take the time to reminisce about good memories. Allow them to form who you want to be. When you feel bad memories or anger coming on, acknowledge their existence, and then do some mindful breathing to calm and center yourself, while telling yourself that you do not need to give in to the bad. Do not fight against the feelings; that will fire the conflict within you further. Just realize that they are there, tell them you are not going to dwell or act on them, and move your thoughts and actions in the direction you want them to go. 

Yes, this can be a difficult thing to do - especially because what is happening to us is chemically based. But it can be done, and in the doing you will actually alter the way your body reacts to the chemistry, eventually altering the chemistry itself.

Hang in there. Be mindful. Breath. Go slowly.

SJ

Edited by ChessieCat
name change

Main thread: http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/14472-shakeyjerr-say-hello/

History: Prozac & Lithium from 1999 to 2003. Ended up back on after 4 months because taking a beta-blocker caused immediate depression (just 2 doses - turned out I didn't even need it; I had no other withdrawal symptoms - I might have ended up med and withdrawal-free otherwise :(). - Switched to Effexor (75mg 3/day) and Seroquel (50mg 3/day) in 2010. - Did a self-taper during 2016. - Developed Discontinuation Syndrome 02/17.

Supplements: Magnesium-Glycinate 400mg split into 4 100mg doses throughout the day. Vitamin C 500mg - once per day. Fish Oil 1360 mg (950 mg Active Omega-3) - twice per day.

I'm not a doctor. I use the internet, experience, and trial & error. Seek medical advice if necessary.

• Moderator Emeritus
On 7/2/2017 at 9:27 PM, ShakeyJerr said:

Hi  -

This is not a permanent change. You will become your old self. Actually, you will likely become an even better version of you for having gone through this. A you that is more aware of how he wants to think and act and treat others.

Your brain and body are recovering their balance. It takes time. As you heal, take the time to reminisce about good memories. Allow them to form who you want to be. When you feel bad memories or anger coming on, acknowledge their existence, and then do some mindful breathing to calm and center yourself, while telling yourself that you do not need to give in to the bad. Do not fight against the feelings; that will fire the conflict within you further. Just realize that they are there, tell them you are not going to dwell or act on them, and move your thoughts and actions in the direction you want them to go. 

Yes, this can be a difficult thing to do - especially because what is happening to us is chemically based. But it can be done, and in the doing you will actually alter the way your body reacts to the chemistry, eventually altering the chemistry itself.

Hang in there. Be mindful. Breath. Go slowly.

SJ

Thank you. I'm trying to handle my feelings as best as I can and already doing some of the stuff you mentioned. Had some progress, but as you say it's very difficult. It's also difficult when some people around you who haven't known you before don't understand the situation and start to think that this is the real me, probably because it doesn't make sense to them that I would change like this because of a medication (or lack of medication). I feel like it's very hard to maintain the relationships I have because at this point they are fragile. Both because I'm isolating myself and because of my unstable behavior and mood.

Edited by ChessieCat
name change

• 2 months later...
  • Moderator Emeritus

Hi. I just read benzo is the stuff to taper first, preferably. I have 20 mg left of the diazepam. Is there a risk with taking these (if I should really need them) now that I'm several months into the withdrawal? Will there be any serious consequenses. Good to know might be that I've been taking the benzo less than once a month, usually even less than that so I'm not really dependent on it in that sense.

Thank you

• Moderator Emeritus

I meant I'm several months into the antidepressant withdrawal, not benzo.

• 2 months later...
  • Moderator Emeritus

Hi. Lately I've noticed some manic behavior in myself (I think, never experienced anything like this before). I've started becoming extremely emotionally involved in certain people, almost feeling kind of euphoric when with them some days, and the next day I feel nothing. It's like everything revolves around them for a short while. What has really made me start to wonder was that my sexdrive was extremely high all of a sudden. I thought this was a good sign, because before it meant that the more depressed/anxious I was the less of it I had. Then when I googled it I found that it could be a manic symptom (made complete sense when ), and therefor it could be a sign of being bipolar, and I also read that if a manic period is really bad it can end in psychosis (?). 

Last time I was at the doctor they suggested I might have bipolar when I decided to be honest about how I felt. At that point i regretted I had said anything because as usual they just couldn't see the whole picture I thought (with the withdrawal stuff), but now I'm just more and more unsure about the situation.

They gave me these pills when I was 17. I started showing signs of depression when I was 14-15. During those years before the pills I can't remember any manic periods that I had, but it still makes me wonder if it's a possibility since I was so young when all this started, or if it's just the withdrawal. 

I feel that I don't want to try to fix this by myself after I read about the risks of psychosis. I'm scared it'll get worse if I don't do something. It also feel like a trap because it usually takes a while for me to realize that I'm in it when I feel so good at first.

I searched the forum and saw some people experiencing mania, but nothing about how to handle it. This is kind of what I'm looking for, or some kind of insight. 

• 2 weeks later...

post this on your introduction post it will help you get a response faster 

1. Zoloft(Generic)100 mg From 06/06/2016 to 02/10/2016                         
  2. Lexapro(Generic) 20 MG From 03/10/2016 to 05/2017                               Supplements: vitamin complex 
  3. Lexapro (Generic) CT 05/2017 
  4. 6/08/17- reinstated 10mg Lexapro(Generic)(50%of original doses )
  5. 02/11/2017- 9 mg Lexapro(Generic) (10 % rule) (Homemade)
  6. 04/12/2017- 8.75mg Lexapro(Generic)(BrassMonkey slide)
  7. 19/12/2017- 8.5mg Lexapro(Generic)
  8. 06/02/2018- 8.35mg Lexapro (Generic)
  9. 16/2/2018- 8.22mg Lexapro(Generic)
  10. 25/2/2018- 8.09mg Lexapro (Generic)-05/03/2018- 7.9mg Lexapro (Generic)-28/03/2018-7.75mg Lexapro (Generic)-04/04/2018-7.66mg Lexapro (Generic)18/05/2018-7.64mg Lexapro (brand Liquid)
  11. 28/6/2018 7.50mg lexapro (Brand Liquid ) 15/7/2018 7.40 mg Lexapro(brand liquid) 7.30 mg Lexapro(Liquid) 27-07-2018
  12. Forgot to update this but i continued to taper down until 21/12/2019 and final dose was 1.3 mg  Time since Stoping  3y and 4 mouths
  13.  xanax 16-01-2023 started 0.25 whent to 0.5 RX 1 week Back to 0.25 
  14. corrent dose 0.25 devided in 4 parts 

Are you sure that it is mania? It doesn't have to be. I had a lot of mood swings on the beginning of withdrawal, when still on drugs, some of them felt as if I started to be hypomanic but it always went away. You might also be in love. I felt hypomanic on the beginning of the withdrawal also when I took something brain activating like tea, coffee etc. Because the brain on withdrawal is much more sensitive on all substances like before.

05/2013 Lyrica 100 mg / per day for pain + PGAD resulting from caesarian delivery11/2014 started to taper: 50 mg per day/ for one week then c/tafter one month reinstated at 50 mg /per days of 10 July 2015 drug free-

symptoms OCD

• Moderator Emeritus
11 hours ago, MiguelFreeman said:

post this on your introduction post it will help you get a response faster 

Thank you for the suggestion, I'll do that!

1 hour ago, Martina23 said:

Are you sure that it is mania? It doesn't have to be. I had a lot of mood swings on the beginning of withdrawal, when still on drugs, some of them felt as if I started to be hypomanic but it always went away. You might also be in love. I felt hypomanic on the beginning of the withdrawal also when I took something brain activating like tea, coffee etc. Because the brain on withdrawal is much more sensitive on all substances like before.

I have no clue what it is to be honest, but it was the first thing that seemed pretty accurate when reading about it. I'm (pretty) sure I'm not in love, but it's possible that some substance is making me feel manic, it just seems so inconsistent to me.

I drink soda rarely, weak tea some days, and I also drink alcohol sometimes. I started writing down when I drank alcohol to maybe see a pattern, but there was none that I could see. I think the fact that the doctors mentioned bipolar is also what reinforced my suspicion, so it's hard to say. The ''manic'' periods (or whatever it is) are great though and I desperately hold on to them everytime. Maybe I'm just not used to feeling happy and that's what it is, haha. Because this time I don't have that obsessive feeling in the same way. Maybe it differs from time to time though, I'm not sure.

And how log does each manic episode last? Are they very short or take more days? And how many did you already have? Yes, sure, I mean you know the best if you are manic or not. I would observe it on your place, do now nothing, and see if it disappears or goes worse.

05/2013 Lyrica 100 mg / per day for pain + PGAD resulting from caesarian delivery11/2014 started to taper: 50 mg per day/ for one week then c/tafter one month reinstated at 50 mg /per days of 10 July 2015 drug free-

symptoms OCD

• Moderator Emeritus
On 2017-12-17 at 11:33 AM, Martina23 said:

And how log does each manic episode last? Are they very short or take more days? And how many did you already have? Yes, sure, I mean you know the best if you are manic or not. I would observe it on your place, do now nothing, and see if it disappears or goes worse.

Sorry for a late reply, I haven't been at home. I've experienced it maybe 3 times so far, and everytime they seem to last at least one day. Sometimes 3 days. Right now I'm not sure what's going on, because I don't feel very manic but just relatively happy ever since I wrote here last time. I hope it'll last, but I don't have any expectations. 

Thank you for being someone I could share my thoughts with though, I think that's what I needed at the time!

Easy to feel alone and lost in this situation, because there is no one to relate to IRL.

But have you had such irrational thoughts like are typical for being manic that you could do everything on the world, that you could be for example president immediately, and you can not sleep and maybe at 4 o clock in the morning you decide to go to municipalities and are angry that they are not open, because why should they sleep :-)

If not and you are just happy then I would let it on your CNS to balance itself. I also sometimes feel very happy even without a cause, mostly after I was painting on the fresh air, it somewhat makes me happy. Maybe it is just naturally that you feel happy.

symptoms OCD

• 5 weeks later...
  • Administrator

Hello, Sunnyday.

I'm sorry we missed your posts in the other forums. I merged most of them here. Your Intro topic is a good place to ask why you are having particular symptoms.

What drugs and dosages are you taking now?

When you were taking antidepressants, how did they affect your sex drive?

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

• Moderator Emeritus
18 hours ago, Altostrata said:

Hello, Sunnyday.

I'm sorry we missed your posts in the other forums. I merged most of them here. Your Intro topic is a good place to ask why you are having particular symptoms.

What drugs and dosages are you taking now?

When you were taking antidepressants, how did they affect your sex drive?

Hi, and thank you. No worries, I felt many of my posts were kind of all over the place anyway.

I'm not taking any prescribed drugs now, I just realized I needed to update my signature when you asked, so I've done that now.

Something that might be worth mentioning is that on december 13th I started taking cbd oil (without THC, so it doesn't make me high or anything). I felt it was worth a try, and unless it's something else that has caused it, I do feel that my emotions are a lot easier to manage now. For the record it is legal here, right now at least.

When I started taking my antidepressants I was pretty young, under 18. And years before that I was so depressed anyway so whether it was because of age or depression, or both, my sex drive wasn't very strong to begin with. But even during the time that the antidepressants made my depression better temporarily, I didn't have much of a sex drive.

Now months after quitting them (the Escitalopram especially), I do feel a big difference. I wasn't sure if it was a good thing though, because it has been most obvious during my ''manic'' periods, or whatever I should call them. I'm not sure what they are.

Also want to say that today I'm having a relatively good day after a week of very bad days, and I'm very thankful for that. Can't seem to notice any patterns though.

• Administrator

I think your poor nervous system and hormonal systems are still getting adjusted after so many years of being suppressed.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

• 4 weeks later...
  • Moderator Emeritus

Thank you for the response Altrostrata, that makes sense. Sometimes I take a long time to respond (because of self loathing and I end up feeling stupid for no reason as soon as I try to interact with others), so I apologize for that.

Thought I'd just give a small ''update'' (even if just for myself to look at later). I feel very scared in general. Not for any reason or because of any thoughts that scare me, just the feeling of being scared. Small incidents and just sounds can make me feel very shaken as well. I try to meditate, but sometimes I get the impression not much is changing, probably because it happens so slowly.

I think at this point I can also say with certainty that I have lost a friend that was one of my most important relationships, and I blame myself because you always have a responsibilty (more or less), but also the medication that created all this chaos. 

• Moderator Emeritus

Hello, Sunnyday,

Sorry about your losing your friend.  We are not ourselves on these drugs and even less so when we are in withdrawal. You might want to re-read the link on neuroemotions that you read earlier.

http://survivingantidepressants.org/topic/14397-neuro-emotions/

Let me make two other suggestions that might help ease withdrawal for you.  I know you wrote that you have difficulty with meditation, but many members are found relief from some of the techniques described in these two links:

We don't recommend a lot of supplements on SA, as many members report being sensitive to them due to our over-reactive nervous systems, but two supplements that we do recommend are magnesium and omega 3 (fish oil). Many people find these to be calming to the nervous system. 

Please research all supplements first and only add in one at a time and at a low dose in case you do experience problems. 

Best, 
Gridley

Gridley Introduction

Lexapro 20 mg since 2004.  Begin Brassmonkey Slide Taper Jan. 2017.   

End 2017 year 1 of taper at 9.25mg 

End 2018 year 2 of taper at 4.1mg

End 2019 year 3 of taper at 1.0mg  

Oct. 30, 2020  Jump to zero from 0.025mg.  Current dose: 0.000mg

3 year, 10 month taper is 100% complete.

Ativan 1 mg to 1.875mg 1986-2020, two CT's and reinstatements

Nov. 2020, 7-week Ativan-Valium crossover to 18.75mg Valium

Feb. 2021, begin 10%/4 week taper of 18.75mg Valium 

End 2021  year 1 of Valium taper at 6mg

End 2022 year 2 of Valium taper at 2.75mg 

End 2023 year 3 of Valium taper at 1mg

Jan. 24, 2024: Hold at 1mg and shift to Imipramine taper.

Taper is 95% complete.

Imipramine 75 mg daily since 1986.  Jan.-Sept. 2016 tapered to 14.4mg  

March 22, 2022: Begin 10%/4 week taper

Aug. 5, 2022: hold at 9.5mg and shift to Valium taper

Jan. 24, 2024: Resume Imipramine taper.  Current dose as of Feb. 22: 7.6mg

Taper is 90% complete.  

Supplements: multiple, quercetin, omega-3, vitamins C, E and D3, magnesium glycinate, probiotics, zinc, melatonin .3mg, anti-candida, iron, serrapeptase, nattokinase

I am not a medical professional and this is not medical advice but simply information based on my own experience, as well as other members who have survived these drugs.

• Moderator Emeritus

Gridley: Thank you for the links and for caring. I often come back to the link about neuro-emotions just to remind myself. I can handle my emotions a lot better now than 6 months ago though, which is worth a lot. 

The meditation is going pretty well now when I do it and it helps  temporarily, just the over all change is very subtle, and stagnant almost. Yesterday was a very bad day when I made that post, life felt very ''dark''. 

I'm taking omega 3 and magnesium, it probably helps but without me noticing anything drastic.

Losing the friend was something that was happening over a period of time, maybe kind of intentionally from my part, pushing people away when I don't think I'm handling relationships well at the moment. 

It feels very sad obviously, but I'm thinking it's for the best.

• 4 weeks later...
  • Moderator Emeritus

Thought I'd give another update, just for the sake of updating but also for giving information about how the WD is affecting me. I don't want anyone to feel obligated to answer everytime I write here, since it's not necessarily needed everytime and I don't contribute much to other threads so I don't want it to seem like it's a one sided thing (hope it makes sense).

I've noticed that the feelings of euphoria I felt a while ago, the ones that felt fake and almost ''synthetic'', has started to show again but in opposite direction (depression). It's very distinct in the sense that it doesn't feel right, compared to the more natural waves of depression. I can get extremely sudden waves of it, just like with the euphoria and with the exact same sensation that it almost doesn't feel natural or makes sense. It's like I can tell that there is another genuine mood/feeling underneath this shallow and fake feeling(?). Not sure how else to put it. It's a very unique experience, which made me come to the conclusion that it most likely is a symptom of the WD.

The problem with the waves of depression is obviously that it's a lot more destructive and also harder to get some sort of control over, compared to euphoria/excitement.

The second thing is that I've developed extreme tics in a certain part of my body. Makes it very hard to sleep and even relax sometimes. Lack of sleep and stress makes it a lot worse too. Not sure if this is common or not, but I thought I would mention it.

Purchased some epsom salt today, thought I would try and see if that might help.

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi SunnyDay thanks for updating.

It would be good if you would simplify and update your signature.  This is the preferred format.  Thank you.

A request: Would you summarize your history in a signature - ALL drugs, doses, dates, and discontinuations & reinstatements, in the last 12-24 months particularly?

• Please leave out symptoms and diagnoses.
  • A list is easier to understand than one or multiple paragraphs. 
  • Any drugs prior to 24 months ago can just be listed with start and stop years.
  • Please use actual dates or approximate dates (mid-June, Late October) rather than relative time frames (last week, 3 months ago)
  • Spell out months, e.g. "October" or "Oct."; 9/1/2016 can be interpreted as Jan. 9, 2016 or Sept. 1, 2016.
  • Link to Account Settings – Create or Edit a signature.

* NO LONGER ACTIVE on SA *

MISSION ACCOMPLISHED:  (6 year taper)      0mg Pristiq  on 13th November 2021

ADs since ~1992:  25+ years - 1 unknown, Prozac (muscle weakness), Zoloft; citalopram (pooped out) CTed (very sick for 2.5 wks a few months after); Pristiq:  50mg 2012, 100mg beg 2013 (Serotonin Toxicity)  Tapering from Oct 2015 - 13 Nov 2021   LAST DOSE 0.0025mg

Post 0 updates start here    My tapering program     My Intro (goes to tapering graph)

VIDEO:   Antidepressant Withdrawal Syndrome and its Management

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi, I've updated my signature to the best of my ability, some dates aren't exact at all unfortunately, because I don't know exactly when it was.

Hi Sunnyday

be a little careful with the epsom salts.  not everyone tolerates the magnesium bath well.  i ended up in the emergency room after taking an epsom salt bath to see if it would help with my wd sleep problems.  my limbs felt like they were made of lead when i got out of the bath.  i got extremely tired and my body was so heavy i knew i wouldn't wake up if i laid down.  i had to take a cab to the hospital.  it took hours for the effect to wear off.   i have read of this happening to other people occasionally also.  

Poetjester

Court committed to take Prozac, Paxci, and Respiradol from 8/95 to 3/96.   developed severe akithisia and brain damage.  Was unable to speak and walking in circles 15 hours a day.  Went in for 5 sessions of ECT during a 10 day period in March of '96 and my forced medication was discontinued at that time.  My akithisia and brain damage cleared up within a few days of stopping the meds.

On Zoloft (200 mg) and Zyprexa (17.5 mg) March 1998- Feb 2014

In between was placed on Effexor 200 mg and Abilify for six months in 2004.  Developed mild akithisia which went away once I stopped the Abilify.  Developed severe GI issues in Dec 2001 and from that time on suffered from fatigue and hypersomnia where I would sleep between 12 and 20 hours a day and rarely ever left my apartment. 

Had tapered to 100 mg of Zoloft and 7.5 mg of Zyprexa at the time of going cold turkey Feb. 2014

Went 5 days without sleep at the beginning while vomiting all over my apt.  Had brain zaps for a number of weeks and also lightheadedness which both eventually went away.  However 2 1/2 yrs later I still struggle with insomnia, depression, and fatigue.

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi PoetJester, I had no idea of that risk. Thank you for the warning. And sorry to hear that it happened to you, sounds horrible. Would it be best to try as little as possible  you think, and then maybe increase the dose little by little every time? Or what would be the best way to go about it in your opinion.

• Moderator Emeritus

Here is the topic on Magnesium which is aka epsom salts (Magnesium sulfate).

* NO LONGER ACTIVE on SA *

MISSION ACCOMPLISHED:  (6 year taper)      0mg Pristiq  on 13th November 2021

ADs since ~1992:  25+ years - 1 unknown, Prozac (muscle weakness), Zoloft; citalopram (pooped out) CTed (very sick for 2.5 wks a few months after); Pristiq:  50mg 2012, 100mg beg 2013 (Serotonin Toxicity)  Tapering from Oct 2015 - 13 Nov 2021   LAST DOSE 0.0025mg

Post 0 updates start here    My tapering program     My Intro (goes to tapering graph)

VIDEO:   Antidepressant Withdrawal Syndrome and its Management

• Moderator Emeritus
4 hours ago, ChessieCat said:

Here is the topic on Magnesium which is aka epsom salts (Magnesium sulfate).

Thank you!

• 1 month later...
  • Moderator Emeritus

Thought I would update. Tried the epsom salts, very little to start with but didn't need much to feel a difference. It seems to help temporarily against the tics in my hands and feet, which is worth a lot. 

Having severe anxiety the last few days, not sure why it came so suddenly. Can't seem to get any help from the things that usually helps me, for example comedy and meditation. Will try to do some yoga, finding it too difficult to go outside for walks (social anxiety).

Hi Sunnyday, since last year Dec 2017 you are just off of your lexapro. Withdrawal symptoms will coming like a roller coaster got up and down. Its normal in between window and waves pattern with extreme and intense anxiety and panic attack even though you are at claiming stage. I faced same like you when hit with anxiety with the heart pounding so bad i couldnt claimed myself even i try to keep busy to distracted everything or just walk outside to take fresh air. Our nerves system already mess up and need to rewire again but need long time to healed. Believe yourself will healing and other members stories here. Please read other members succesfull stories especially Aeroman, he already off Lexapro about 10 yrs and 100% more back to normal.I used magnesium citrate to help me lower my heart pouding to turn down a bit my anxiety and for sleeping as well.Beside at night i will drink some chamomile tea occasionally if i really needed for mind racing and sleeping. But becareful the supplements and food you take because some can really trigger your withdrawals flare up. Please take note if you cannot eat or vitamins will made you more sensitive trying small dose to see your body reaction. I already took magnesium citrate for over 7 months it work great for me but over time my body in the stage over sensitived i couldn't take a new refill bottled of my magnesium citrate anymore.i also so curious about this? This also same for epsom salt bath too.So always listen to your body and dont force yourself .Acceptances,  Time and Patience is a key of recovery . I hope you will getting more improvement and better coming over months. I hope you well and take good care.

Warmest regards,

Miracle.

Mid December 16 lorezapam 1mg and lexapro 5mg

Early April17 updosed lorezapam 2mg, mid Apr17 taper 1.5mg, mid May17-1.25mg, early Jun17- 1mg, mid Jun17-0.75mg, mid July17-0.5mg, End July 17 reduce from 0.4mg, 0.3mg,0.2mg until 0.1mg.lorezapam free on 9 August 2017.

Early Mar17 updosed to Lexapro 10mg , end Mar17 reduced 7.5mg, mid May17 reduced 0.5mg, End Aug17 reduced 2.5mg, early Sep17 -1.5mg, Mid Sept-1mg, End Sept - 0.5mg .lexapro free on 26 September 2017

Supplement- omega fish oil and magnesium citrate only.

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi Miracle. Thank you for the reminder, I know it can be tough for a long while, sometimes it's just so sudden and strong that you start to ask yourself if something is more wrong than it should be, you know? But I know that's probably not the case. It's a little better today, which is a relief.

I will read Aeroman's success story, thank you for the suggestion. I often come to this site when I need some kind of reassuring or ''consoling''. It's a life saver some days. Thank you for caring, hope you're doing okay as well!

• Moderator Emeritus

Hello again. I was searching the forum but couldn't find specifically what I was looking for, so I have a question if anyone knows.

Is it very risky to drink alcohol during WD?

I tend to drink between 1-3 glasses of wine maybe 4-5 times a week during my waves (my waves are pretty frequent still), but then I take breaks that are ca 3-4 weeks long a little now and then to make sure I'm not dependent on it.

I've read alcohol craving is a common WD symptom, so I understand it can be risky in that sense. But with breaks worth several weeks at a time, should I be okay?

Maybe most importantly, could it prolong my WD?  I've never had issues with hangovers, and during the WD I still don't, surprisingly enough. I don't feel that my anxiety is worse the days after I drink either, and during my worst evenings it is an extreme relief, especially to be able to communicate with some friends and not lose all of them. I feel ten times worse after a full night of anxiety than after a night of alcohol, if I put it that way (many times it's like a night of anxiety follows me into the next morning in the shape of extreme exhaustion and tension).

Hi sunnyday, wine and alcohol is dangerous and will make your withdrawal even worse and more suffering because will effect our whole body. I hope inside you can get your answer. Take care. 

Early April17 updosed lorezapam 2mg, mid Apr17 taper 1.5mg, mid May17-1.25mg, early Jun17- 1mg, mid Jun17-0.75mg, mid July17-0.5mg, End July 17 reduce from 0.4mg, 0.3mg,0.2mg until 0.1mg.lorezapam free on 9 August 2017.

Early Mar17 updosed to Lexapro 10mg , end Mar17 reduced 7.5mg, mid May17 reduced 0.5mg, End Aug17 reduced 2.5mg, early Sep17 -1.5mg, Mid Sept-1mg, End Sept - 0.5mg .lexapro free on 26 September 2017

• Moderator Emeritus

Thank you very much for the link Miracle. So far very interesting to read, makes me realize a little more the risk that comes with it.

In any case I have been reading earlier today about drinking recommendations per week and realized I was drinking too much, so I will minimize my drinking by a lot.  So far no strong dependence on it (I think?), so shouldn't be an issue hopefully.

It does feel slightly sad in a way, because it helps me stay in touch with friends. I have a very hard time socializing during my waves while I'm 100% sober, many days I find it impossible. So I guess in a sense I have been dependent on it.

Hi Sunnyday, i really understand hang out with friends can really help a lots to distract your moody emotional which is good but trying not to drink alcohol during withdrawal and recovery period. During this time try to limit your intake because i might worries will effect your healing process. Its depend on individuals but for me i never took a wine for almost a year like i always used to drink with hubby or friends (1 to 2 glasses only twice per week)

Me too...i have a very hard time to going out with friends..dislike to going out at all , no social life and like a zombie stay at home alone just lay on bed watch tv and see forums. Maybe u can choose drink same healthy fruits better than take alcohol during these periods for temporary. Take care.