InNeedOfHope

Counting beads in a capsule versus weighing

Lexy

I'm counting beads then weighing them on the a Gemini scale. I'm OCD weighing 3-4 times.

Idk if this has been asked before....it just dawned on me...

Do the size of the beads matter?

I have been using all the beads from the Extra Large boulder type to the tiniest ones. Do the tiny beads have enough activating substance or are they just little filler crumbles left over?

Maybe that's why I haven't been able to have many windows?!

scallywag

The manufacturers have said that the bead contents contain the same mix of active ingredient and fillers. Several smaller beads that weight the same as a lesser number of large beads pose only one issue I've heard of -- you get more enteric coating because of the increased surface area. There's a member here who had a reaction when using smaller beads because of an allergy to an ingredient in the coating.

ktp

Deliberately different size beads could easily figure into the extended release scheme - large jawbreakers outlast smaller ones.

And if there's an enteric coating added (is there?), can we be assured that its thickness is consistent?  it would depend on who made them and how.  Coating thickness could also figure into an XR scheme.  better please say Which mfr says What. 

this factoid already appears in my sig and elsewhere in this thread but it may bear repeating:

TEVA manufactured venlafaxine xr capsules contain quite uniformly sized beads each with 1mg of drug.  not perfect but very consistent - no weighing or math needed, just count.  

(sub mg doses? ur on your own but venla's easily water soluble so liquid should be easy to dose. but you'll have to take it 2x/day and liquid could be a pita)

Lexy

I use Pfizer Effexor brand name. Beads come in all sizes. Should I eliminate the tiny itty bitty ones?

scallywag

Lexy, you could save the smallest in a clean labeled container for use at the end of your taper. Some people find they need to taper from 1 bead by taking large beads, then medium beads, then small ones, then off.

ktp

I use Pfizer Effexor brand name. Beads come in all sizes. Should I eliminate the tiny itty bitty ones?

Ask Pfizer? How much drug in a tiny bead? They won't tell even if they know.

Personally I think liquid is the only way to go for small doses. You just can't reliably weigh out a milligram accurately, but it's pretty easy to put 100mg in a gallon of water and know that each ounce of that has 100/128 mg of v.

ppppp9

I'm on 3 beads Effexor XR, graduating from large, medium, small then tiny over 3-4 months.  A mild sensation on the initial drop to 3 from the last 4 beads but comfortabe.  Now almost 5-6 weeks since my drop and still feeling great.  Will hold like this probably till the New Year and then drop another bead.  My sleep is good and no anxiety to speak of.  Thought I'd share!