SurvivingAntidepressants.org is temporarily closed to new registrations until 1 April ×

Light boxes / light therapy for depression and sleep disorders

Hopeful

I posted this in Compsports intro topic, but Sur asked me to re-post in Symptoms topic:

I’ve had pretty good results with the Phillips Go-lite…I purchased mine in 2004 at Costco (when I thought all I would need to “fix” w/d was a little light lol), but the instructions referenced the web page so you can take their test to tell you when to use the light. I tend to be a “night owl” which I was prior to ssris and am once again. It does seem to work for me getting my circadian rhythms on track. I haven’t used it for awhile though. I was warned by a doctor that they can cause mania…I never had that problem with it.

Here is the link in case anyone would like to try the test:

http://www.usa.philips.com/c/light-therapy/11625/cat/en/#/cp_tab1

Began Paxil 10/97*

Paxil free 10/16/04 (tapered over 2.5 months)

Severe withdrawal

12/04 started Lexapro due to Paxil w/d symptoms (tapered over 4 months)

Lexapro free 8/2/05

2 1/2 year severe protracted withdrawal

Doing well now with a few residual symptoms

• Administrator

Hopeful, what were your symptoms that the light helped?

Did it work right away or over time? How long did you use it?

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

Good to hear you have had some encouraging results with this Hopeful. I am hoping to get a light box, as I think that my symptoms are worse in Winter.

I came off Seroxat in August 2005 after a 4 month taper. I was initially prescibed a benzo for several months and then Prozac for 5 years and after that, Seroxat for 3 years and 9 months.

"It's like in the great stories Mr.Frodo, the ones that really mattered. Full of darkness and danger they were, and sometimes you didn't want to know the end because how could the end be happy? How could the world go back to the way it was when so much bad had happened? But in the end it's only a passing thing this shadow, even darkness must pass. A new day will come, and when the sun shines it'll shine out the clearer."  Samwise Gamgee, Lord of the Rings, The Two Towers

• Moderator Emeritus

I think I said this elsewhere--I have been very happy with my light box. I initially got it to help deal with moving from New Mexico (which is a sunny desert) to a gloomy Oregon winter (much further north), starting a new job, living in a basement for two months--very stressful.

I didn't actually need it the following winter (this past winter) because it was a much sunnier winter and I have been living in a house with lots of windows and light. (Sadly I am moving away from this sunny house soon.)

But I have found it very helpful for lifting my mood. I have a strong response to it, stronger than to antidepressants, without the side effects, and faster, within a couple of days.

I've tried it a little for adjusting sleep cycles when I had to work graveyard shifts one time. I will probably be trying that again in a few weeks when I have another week of graveyard nights.

I would be curious to hear if anyone finds it helpful for other kinds of problems.

Started on Prozac and Xanax in 1992 for PTSD after an assault. One drug led to more, the usual story. Got sicker and sicker, but believed I needed the drugs for my "underlying disease". Long story...lost everything. Life savings, home, physical and mental health, relationships, friendships, ability to work, everything. Amitryptiline, Prozac, bupropion, buspirone, flurazepam, diazepam, alprazolam, Paxil, citalopram, lamotrigine, gabapentin...probably more I've forgotten. 

Started multidrug taper in Feb 2010.  Doing a very slow microtaper, down to low doses now and feeling SO much better, getting my old personality and my brain back! Able to work full time, have a full social life, and cope with stress better than ever. Not perfect, but much better. After 23 lost years. Big Pharma has a lot to answer for. And "medicine for profit" is just not a great idea.

Feb 15 2010:  300 mg Neurontin  200 Lamictal   10 Celexa      0.65 Xanax   and 5 mg Ambien 

Feb 10 2014:   62 Lamictal    1.1 Celexa         0.135 Xanax    1.8 Valium

Feb 10 2015:   50 Lamictal      0.875 Celexa    0.11 Xanax      1.5 Valium

Feb 15 2016:   47.5 Lamictal   0.75 Celexa      0.0875 Xanax    1.42 Valium    

2/12/20             12                       0.045               0.007                   1 

May 2021            7                       0.01                  0.0037                1

Feb 2022            6                      0!!!                     0.00167               0.98                2.5 mg Ambien

Oct 2022       4.5 mg Lamictal    (off Celexa, off Xanax)   0.95 Valium    Ambien, 1/4 to 1/2 of a 5 mg tablet 

I'm not a doctor. Any advice I give is just my civilian opinion.

I think I said this elsewhere--I have been very happy with my light box. I initially got it to help deal with moving from New Mexico (which is a sunny desert) to a gloomy Oregon winter (much further north), starting a new job, living in a basement for two months--very stressful.

I didn't actually need it the following winter (this past winter) because it was a much sunnier winter and I have been living in a house with lots of windows and light. (Sadly I am moving away from this sunny house soon.)

But I have found it very helpful for lifting my mood. I have a strong response to it, stronger than to antidepressants, without the side effects, and faster, within a couple of days.

I've tried it a little for adjusting sleep cycles when I had to work graveyard shifts one time. I will probably be trying that again in a few weeks when I have another week of graveyard nights.

I would be curious to hear if anyone finds it helpful for other kinds of problems.

Hopeful and Rhi,

I am glad it helped you.

Knock on wood - I have had good sleep two nights in a row so perhaps I won't need it.

Rhi - That is interesting that it has helped your mood. I could use help in that area. But probably getting work since I am unemployed would be the most helpful solution.

Drug cocktail 1995 - 2010
Started taper of Adderall, Wellbutrin XL, Remeron, and Doxepin in 2006
Finished taper on June 10, 2010

Temazepam on a PRN basis approximately twice a month - 2014 to 2016

Beginning in 2017 - Consumption increased to about two times per week

April 2017 - Increased to taking it full time for insomnia

• 4 weeks later...

Hopeful, what were your symptoms that the light helped?

Did it work right away or over time? How long did you use it?

I tend to be a night owl so I use it occasionally (I haven't for quite awhile now)to get my circadian rhythm back on track and it works.

Also, the first month I was off of Paxil I started feeling depressed and it eliminated that within a day or two (very quickly). Not 100% sure it was the light that worked because throughout the w/d my thing was the anxiety which would build and then be followed by a "weepy spell" luckily I never had ongoing depression.

Began Paxil 10/97*

Paxil free 10/16/04 (tapered over 2.5 months)

Severe withdrawal

12/04 started Lexapro due to Paxil w/d symptoms (tapered over 4 months)

Lexapro free 8/2/05

2 1/2 year severe protracted withdrawal

Doing well now with a few residual symptoms

hmmm

even with light therapy (tried it twice since in withdrawal) I had a paradoxical reaction.I got even more depressed and confused .Hope I can use it later on, because I believe it can be very effective when your symptoms are worse in winter

solida

Sept.2007 Citalopram for burn out,reverse reaction

Paroxetin 20mg,5 weeks,had to stop because of reverse reaction

after a manic episode,severe withdrawal hit after 6 weeks,

hospitalization twice,during the first 2 years withdrawal got worse and worse

disabled since

Solida -- I don't know much about light therapy, but I do know we are very sensitive to any kind of therapy -- supplements, exercise, etc. So, next time you decide to try light therapy, it might be worth starting with a very small amount of exposure for awhile and see if that works better. Whenever I decide to increase my exercise, I do it by a very small amount, and that seems to work.

1996-97 - Paxil x 9 months, tapered, suffered 8 months withdrawal but didn't know it was withdrawal, so...

1998-2001 - Zoloft, tapered, again unwittingly went into withdrawal, so...

2002-03 - Paxil x 20 months, developed severe headaches, so...

Sep 03 - May 05 - Paxil taper took 20 months, severe physical, moderate psychological symptoms

Sep 03 - Jun 05 - took Prozac to help with Paxil taper - not recommended

Jul 05 to date - post-taper, severe psychological, moderate physical symptoms, improving very slowly

• Administrator

Just wanted to note: Light therapy is stimulating. Generally, what people with withdrawal need is a reduction of stimulation, not an increase. Light therapy may exacerbate withdrawal symptoms like anxiety and sleeplessness.

It's effective for very specific forms of depression or sleep problems related to the circadian rhythm being out of synchronization. Our systems depend on light to set our internal clocks.

It's not going to help everyone with depression or sleep problems. If withdrawal has made you at all light-sensitive, light therapy is probably not a good idea for you.

Most of us with withdrawal insomnia need to trigger melatonin at night with more darkness rather than more light.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

• 5 months later...
  • Administrator

Light therapy is just as effective as antidepressants and has far fewer side effects.

A Portable Glow to Help Melt Those Winter Blues

By RONI CARYN RABIN November 14, 2011 NYTimes.com

For the millions of Americans who suffer from mild to severe winter blues — a condition called seasonal affective disorder, or S.A.D. — bright-light therapy is the treatment of choice, with response rates comparable with those of antidepressants. “Your natural clock is usually longer than 24 hours, and you need light in the morning to set it and keep it on track,” said Dr. Alfred Lewy, a professor of psychiatry at Oregon Health and Science University and an expert on seasonal depression and light therapy.

Yet many experts think light therapy is underused, given its affordability and relative lack of side effects, in large part because there is little profit to be made from it and no commercial incentive to promote the treatment.

Patients generally sit in front of the light box, which can be as small as 9 by 11 inches and 5 inches deep, with the bright light emanating from the square surface, in the morning. “With the natural dawn being later in winter, the body rhythms drift late,” Dr. Lewy said. “If you can fix the drift, you can fix the depression.”

Light therapy may even help with major nonseasonal depression, experts say, and with sleep disorders. And because it has few side effects, researchers are studying whether light therapy can help with depression during pregnancy and be used to treat elderly people with dementia. It is also being investigated for the treatment of bulimia nervosa, severe premenstrual syndrome and even attention deficit hyperactivity disorder and bipolar disorder.

Though randomized controlled clinical trials of bright light are difficult to do properly — one expert is fond of saying that it is difficult to “blind” studies of bright light — the American Psychiatric Association considers bright-light therapy an effective low-risk treatment for both S.A.D. and nonseasonal major depressive disorder.

A 2006 multicenter double-blind randomized controlled trial that compared bright-light therapy head to head with the popular antidepressant Prozac (fluoxetine) in 96 subjects found the two treatments equally effective for alleviating winter depression, though light produced results faster, usually within a week, and with fewer side effects.

Why, then, do so few doctors prescribe bright-light therapy? Some say their patients don’t have the patience to sit in front of a light for 30 to 45 minutes every morning. Moreover, “doctors are just more comfortable prescribing medication, because that’s what they do for everything,” Dr. Lewy said.

Some patients who suffer from chronic depression say they use light therapy in addition to their regular medication in the winter months.

“I’ve always seen a drastic change in my personality from spring and summer to fall and winter, and it got worse as I got older,” said Rick Bach, 54, a painter who owns a hair salon in West Hartford, Conn., and tries to spend every January in Puerto Rico.

But while bright-light treatment is helpful, he said, it is not sufficient for him. “It can help you from falling into a deep depression, but it won’t help you climb out of one,” he said.

No one knows exactly how light treatment works, but most experts seem to agree that the body has a master biological clock that responds to or is “set” by natural light fluctuations.

“Light does more than just enable us to see,” said Dr. Norman Rosenthal, author of the landmark book “Winter Blues,” who was among the first to identify and describe S.A.D. Light also has an effect on hormones, the body’s chemical messengers, affecting the brain’s hypothalamus, which is involved in regulating mood, energy and appetite.

“The hormone melatonin, which is secreted at night, can be suppressed by light,” Dr. Rosenthal said....

But while part of the appeal of light therapy is that it can be self-prescribed, using a light box is not as simple as it may appear. Experts recommend consulting with a knowledgeable health care provider before starting treatment to rule out other medical conditions and to help with monitoring and adjusting bright-light exposure.

Some patients may want to try simply getting more natural light to help with seasonal mood changes — getting out as much as possible during the brightest time of day in the winter, sitting near windows during the day or taking vacations to sunny locales in the winter.

If you choose to try light therapy, here are a few tips from experts.

COSTS Light boxes can be purchased for about $200 online; they are also available for rent. Some patients manage to get insurance reimbursement by having a doctor write a letter, but don’t count on your policy covering it.

PRECAUTIONS Side effects include headaches and hypomania, though experts say these are rare. Face the light but do not stare at the light. If you have an eye condition of any kind, clear light therapy with your ophthalmologist first.

MORE INFORMATION Check the Web sites of the Society for Light Therapy and Biological Rhythms at www.sltbr.org and Center for Environmental Therapeutics at www.cet.org.

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/11/15/health/policy/light-boxes-may-help-melt-those-winter-blues.html

• Moderator Emeritus

My husband swears by a light box in the winter, we also have a sunrise alarm clock in our bedroom.

*** Please note this is not medical advice,discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner***

http://prozacwithdrawal.blogspot.com/
Original drug was sertraline/Zoloft, switched to Prozac in 2007.
Tapering from 5mls liquid prozac since Feb 2008, got down to 0.85ml 23/09/2012, reinstated back to 1ml(4mg) 07/11/2012, didn't appear to work, upped to 1.05ml 17/11/2012, back down to 1ml 12/12/2012 didn't work, up to 1.30ml 16/3/2013 didn't work, bumped up to 2ml (8mg) 4/4/2013 didn't work, in July 2013 I reinstated Sertraline (Zoloft) 50mg, feeling better now. 

A few months down the line I switched to 5ml liquid Prozac and tapered down to a compromise dose of 3ml liquid Prozac and have stayed there ever since, no withdrawals and no emotional blunting/loss of libido.

• Administrator

Incorporating the light box effect into an alarm clock always made sense to me.

• Moderator Emeritus

My husband used to commute to London and had to be up at 5.30 every morning, and he suffers a little from SAD, so this was really helpful, he no longer has to commute but it's still great in the winter. In his office he has a lightbox which in the winter months he works beside for a couple of hours every day.

*** Please note this is not medical advice,discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner***

http://prozacwithdrawal.blogspot.com/
Original drug was sertraline/Zoloft, switched to Prozac in 2007.
Tapering from 5mls liquid prozac since Feb 2008, got down to 0.85ml 23/09/2012, reinstated back to 1ml(4mg) 07/11/2012, didn't appear to work, upped to 1.05ml 17/11/2012, back down to 1ml 12/12/2012 didn't work, up to 1.30ml 16/3/2013 didn't work, bumped up to 2ml (8mg) 4/4/2013 didn't work, in July 2013 I reinstated Sertraline (Zoloft) 50mg, feeling better now. 

A few months down the line I switched to 5ml liquid Prozac and tapered down to a compromise dose of 3ml liquid Prozac and have stayed there ever since, no withdrawals and no emotional blunting/loss of libido.

As you can see in my intro update, I have decided to purchase one. Hopefully, this will give me the energy to overcome falling asleep too early which messes up my sleep cycle.

Even when I can stay awake, I still go to bed way too early which results in waking up too early which again starts the bad cycle.

Strawberry, I am glad it helped your husband. I will keep everyone posted.

CS

• Moderator Emeritus

I'm a big fan of light boxes. They help me regulate my sleep cycle, since I work nights. I got them when I moved to Oregon thinking I would be dealing with dreary winters, but it turns out that's only a problem west of the Cascades; where I live we get lots of winter sun. But the light boxes seem to really help me regulate my sleep cycles in spite of my weird work hours. Plus whenever I feel an inkling of depression, light therapy and exercise together knock it out immediately. I really think doctors need to know about this. But the light box companies don't have the huge marketing budgets that Big Pharma can muster. GRRRRRRRRRR

Started on Prozac and Xanax in 1992 for PTSD after an assault. One drug led to more, the usual story. Got sicker and sicker, but believed I needed the drugs for my "underlying disease". Long story...lost everything. Life savings, home, physical and mental health, relationships, friendships, ability to work, everything. Amitryptiline, Prozac, bupropion, buspirone, flurazepam, diazepam, alprazolam, Paxil, citalopram, lamotrigine, gabapentin...probably more I've forgotten. 

Started multidrug taper in Feb 2010.  Doing a very slow microtaper, down to low doses now and feeling SO much better, getting my old personality and my brain back! Able to work full time, have a full social life, and cope with stress better than ever. Not perfect, but much better. After 23 lost years. Big Pharma has a lot to answer for. And "medicine for profit" is just not a great idea.

Feb 15 2010:  300 mg Neurontin  200 Lamictal   10 Celexa      0.65 Xanax   and 5 mg Ambien 

Feb 10 2014:   62 Lamictal    1.1 Celexa         0.135 Xanax    1.8 Valium

Feb 10 2015:   50 Lamictal      0.875 Celexa    0.11 Xanax      1.5 Valium

Feb 15 2016:   47.5 Lamictal   0.75 Celexa      0.0875 Xanax    1.42 Valium    

2/12/20             12                       0.045               0.007                   1 

May 2021            7                       0.01                  0.0037                1

Feb 2022            6                      0!!!                     0.00167               0.98                2.5 mg Ambien

Oct 2022       4.5 mg Lamictal    (off Celexa, off Xanax)   0.95 Valium    Ambien, 1/4 to 1/2 of a 5 mg tablet 

I'm not a doctor. Any advice I give is just my civilian opinion.

• 3 weeks later...

does anyone have experience of using sad lights?

i looked at a blue one recently and it seemed quite appealing.

on the sad org website they say check with a doctor before using one if on ad's.

since the doctors seem to know very little about ad's and their effects i thought i would post here to see if anyone has any first hand experience ?

1999 50mg citalopram / celexa for anxiety and depression.

dec 2007 50mg - 40mg, march 2009 40mg - 30mg, july 2009 30mg - 20mg, aug 2009 20mg - 30mg, sept 2009 30mg - 20mg, jan 2010 20mg - 30mg, july 2010 30mg - 25mg (one 20mg and half a 10mg tablet), july 2010 - july 2013 25mg

July 2013 began tapering down in 1mg increments, dissolving the tablets in water and using a syringe as suggested by Rhi. Had a few hiccups along the way as can be seen in my thread.

End December 2013, now down to 11.25mg.

Dec 2013 to present day still on 11.25 mg. I have hit, what Professor Healy terms, a shelf. I became extremely destabilised when I reduced from 12.25mg to 11.25mg. Only now, after some 15 months am I starting to really recover from it.

I did light therapy for about 5 sessions using a green one. It pulsated and I had to stare at it for about 30 min. Made me feel somewhat better. I think if you use them long enough you can get some good benefits.

Various SSRIs/SNRIs 7- 1/2 years

Went Cold Turkey from Celexa 2011, Stayed Off

Psych Drug Free and Loving Life (over 6 years and counting)

How I Stay Well: Diet, exercise, meditation, supplements, etc

• Administrator

We have a couple of topics here about blue light. They're very interesting.

For people who are sensitive, it doesn't take much exposure to SAD lights to get a response. Five minutes can be enough.

However, if you are already experiencing sensory hyper-reactivity, intense light could make you worse.

You cannot treat withdrawal symptoms as though they were Seasonal Affective Disorder or any other kind of mood disorder.

lionboy, do you ordinarily get very sad in the wintertime, when there's less natural light?

I have a 'daylight' bulb in my kitchen where I work. It cost only a little more than a normal bulb.

This is not a full light box but just a bulb that has a more natural daylight tinge (more bluish than yellow).

Really seems to help though.

Seem to be getting about 4 hours of daylight here at the minute (not really true) but the sun is low in the sky and it's often overcast ...I often need to keep the lights on all day - roll-on spring and longer days...

Citalopram for 6 months

Since then tapering off over last 4 months

20mg -> 15mg -> 10mg -> 5mg (roughly every 3-4 weeks)

Stayed at 2.5mg for approx 6 weeks

As of 9 Sept 2011 off citalopram

• Administrator

That's an excellent idea, bright. You can have a little dose of light with breakfast.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Moderator Emeritus

Here's a blog post by one of the pioneers in Post Peak Oil preparation that I found very helpful:

http://sharonastyk.com/2011/11/27/on-the-merits-of-sleep/

There is also a phenomena called 'second sleep' that I find fascinating. Here's a starter site:

http://althouse.blogspot.com/2006/02/thats-not-insomnia-thats-natural-sleep.html

Psychotropic drug history: Pristiq 50 mg. (mid-September 2010 through February 2011), Remeron (mid-September 2010 through January 2011), Lexapro 10 mg. (mid-February 2011 through mid-December 2011), Lorazepam (Ativan) 1 mg. as needed mid-September 2010 through early March 2012

"Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity." -Hanlon's Razor

Introduction: http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/1588-introducing-jemima/

Success Story: http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/6263-success-jemima-survives-lexapro-and-dr-dickhead-too/

Please note that I am not a medical professional and my advice is based on personal experience, reading, and anecdotal information posted by other sufferers.

• Administrator

Both of those posts contain good information. Thanks, Jemima.

That's really interesting about first and second sleep! I had never heard of that!

On a side note, a friend who has a fourth month old baby was asking other friends for advice because her baby had gone from sleeping really well through the night to frequent waking. Several other parents told her this was normal and occurs at certain points in a baby and child's development, especially before a growth spurt or during mental development.

Aside from cortisol surges, it could be that we are going through something similar in withdrawal... our brains are adapting and that is hard work. There are tons of things going on, and it makes sense that our sleep cycles will be irregular because of it. I have no scientific evidence for this, of course.

'94-'08 On/off ADs. Mostly Zoloft & Wellbutrin, but also Prozac, Celexa, Effexor, etc.
6/08 quit Z & W after tapering, awful anxiety 3 mos. later, reinstated.
11/10 CTed. Severe anxiety 3 mos. later & @ 8 mos. much worse (set off by metronidazole). Anxiety, depression, anhedonia, DP, DR, dizziness, severe insomnia, high serum AM cortisol, flu-like feelings, muscle discomfort.
9/11-9/12 Waves and windows of recovery.
10/12 Awful relapse, DP/DR. Hydrocortisone?
11/12 Improved fairly quickly even though relapse was one of worst waves ever.

1/13 Best I've ever felt.

3/13 A bit of a relapse... then faster and shorter waves and windows.

4/14 Have to watch out for triggers, but feel completely normal about 80% of the time.

• 3 weeks later...

Any thoughts on Himalayan Salt Lamps

I love the warm glow but no idea about the negative ionization claims

Dr Oz suggested red light bulbs in bedroom (avoiding violet end of spectrum) for before sleep and I had the orange lamp already so thought I'd mention

Pristiq tapered over 8 months ending Spring 2011 after 18 years of polydrugging that began w/Zoloft for fatigue/general malaise (not mood). CURRENT: 1mg Klonopin qhs (SSRI bruxism), 75mg trazodone qhs, various hormonesLitigation for 11 years for Work-related injury, settled 2004. Involuntary medical retirement in 2001 (age 39). 2012 - brain MRI showing diffuse, chronic cerebrovascular damage/demyelination possibly vasculitis/cerebritis. Dx w/autoimmune polyendocrine failure.<p>2013 - Dx w/CNS Sjogren's Lupus (FANA antibodies first appeared in 1997 but missed by doc).

• 1 month later...

Well, I am only 3 months late in following up on what I said I would do in purchasing a light box. LOL.

I started using it last night and following the start low, go slow approach. In spite of having it on for just a few minutes at the lowest setting, my mood and energy have greatly improved. Could be a placebo effect but to be honest, I wasn't expecting that result.

Am extremely optimistic it will help reset my body clock off of what I feel is a current advanced phase syndrome issue in which I go to bed too early and thus wake up too early.

CS

• 3 weeks later...
  • Administrator

For those who are interested in such things, Amazon has the Philips goLite BLU on sale today ONLY about half off, for $91.99.

I have no idea of the quality of this device. Please research it before you purchase.

• 8 months later...

I have a light box called "Lighten up". It has 3 36 watt PL type fluorescent bulbs. I'm sitting in front of it at the moment, feels good on this cold winter day. :D It's about 12 years or so old, so i'm doing some research now to see it this type of light is still considered effective. I'll be honest and say that i have never really given it too much of a chance to do it's job, only when i'd exercise i'd have it on for about 40 minutes. However, the way my treadmill and exercise mats are situated the light box sits about 15 feet away from me. So i guess i'm wondering if that had an impact on the effectiveness of using it. But the more i read, it seems it's better to have the light relatively close to the eyes.

25mg Zoloft (down from 150mg over 13 years), 1mg Ativan

• 4 months later...

I think I got too overzealous and ended up with an optical migraine yesterday. It was scary as I was envisioning eye damage but fortunately, it disappeared.

As with supplements, start low and go slow.

CS

• Administrator

Yes, I think someone else here reported light therapy can be too much stimulation.

• Moderator Emeritus

However, the way my treadmill and exercise mats are situated the light box sits about 15 feet away from me. So i guess i'm wondering if that had an impact on the effectiveness of using it. But the more i read, it seems it's better to have the light relatively close to the eyes.

I've done quite a little research and experimenting with a light box. It's pretty well accepted that 10,000 lumens within 18" or closer is necessary. That's pretty bright ... I usually do something in front of it looking down...like reading the paper..... it works.

I can confirm the positive effects of using a light box. .... for ME. In the past, before I ever started to "listen to my body" I recognized a YEARLY pattern. If I was going to have a "bad" spell it was going to be in NOVEMBER which in the N. latitudes we lose the lost the most light/ day than any other month.

I bought one back in the 90s. Used it religiously. ONE year I did not use it... you guessed it. A downer Nov.

Unfortunately a couple of yrs. ago my P doc upped my dose of Wellbutrin which eliminated he need of the light box....

I plan on dropping that dose back to 150 mg. and leaving it there for the rest of my life ( it counter acts sexual side effects) along with staying on 10 mg. Lex. That means of course that I will go back to the light box but no prob.

Worked for me!! Oh. AND before I understood the power of it, I used it one week in the afternoon.... woke me up in the middle of the night... good MORNING!!!!

RU

ps. As far as staying on the lex./ well forever, I may re evaluate that at some point. I am concentrating on just LOWERING things ... s l o w l y.

Fall 1995 xanax, zoloft. switched to Serzone

1996- spring 2003serzone/ xanax/ lightbox.

b]Fall 2003- Fall 2004? Lexapro 10 mg. Light box /4 mg. xanax.[/b]

2004 - Fall of 2009 10 mg Lex, 150 mg Wellbutrin XL % 4 mg xanax

November 2009- Sept. 2011 10 mg lex., 300 Well. XL, 4 mg Xanax [/b

Sept.2012- July 2012 20 mg Lex 300 Well. XL, 4 mg Xanax

My mantra " go slow & with the flow "

3/2/13.. Began equal dosing 5 Xs /day xanax, while simultaneously incorporating a 2.5 % drop ( from 3.5 mg/day to 3.4 mg/day)

4/6/13 dropped from 300 mg. Wellbutrin XL to 150 mg. Difficult but DONE! Down to 3.3 mg xanax/ day / 6/10/13 3 mg xanax/day; 7/15/2013 2.88mg xanax/day.

10/ 1/2013...... 2.5 mg xanax… ( switched to tablets again) WOO HOO!!!!!! Holding here… cont. with Lexapro.

1/ 2/2014.. tapered to 18mg ( by weight) of a 26 mg ( by weight) pill of 20 mg tab. lexapro. goal is 13mg (by weight OR 10 mg by ingredient content) and STOPPED. Feeling very down with unbalanced, unpredictable WD symptoms.

1/2/2014- ??? Taking a brain-healing break from tapering anything after actively tapering something for 1.5 years. So… daily doses as of 2/2/2014: 18 mg by weight Lex, 150 mg Well. XL, 2.5 mg xanax, down from 26 mg by weight Lex., 300 mg well. XL, 4 mg xanax in August, 2012. I'll take it. :) 5/8/14 started equivalent dose liquid./ tabs. 5/13/14 1.5 % cut.

• Administrator

Mileage undoubtedly varies.

People who are already sensitized by withdrawal or other adverse effects of psychiatric drugs may find the stimulation from a light box is too much for them.

Does anyone have experience using the light box to help push back waking? I have read on a few sites that using the light box in the evening can help push back the circadian rhythm is you are getting tired too early and waking up too early... now Im not sure if tis can combat issues with cortisol surges in the morning... but I thought I would give it a try... it hasnt worked yet but Im not sure if Ive been consistent enough or if Ive been doing it at the right time.

I also find it rather difficult to fit in all of these "treatments" in the evening (epsom salt foot soak, light box, many supplements) and still manage to get to bed early enough to be able to function the next day (since I wake up close to 4am every morning unfortunately)

2003-2010 up and down 10-40mg celexa for anxiety
2/2011 10mg
8/2011 5mg for 3 wks, then stopped completely.
middle of night waking after apx 1-2 hours of sleep (nightly), panic/jitteriness after waking
11/11 back on 30mg celexa, ambien/many supplements-insomnia/panic.
2/12 30mg celexa, many supplements (Magnesium eliminated morning tight chest/jitteriness). Off ambien!
7/12 20mg
8/12 15 mg(sleep improving,mood pos)
12/12 2.3 mg got liquid celexa!
1/13 2.1 mg
3/13 1.2 mg
4/13 down to .6 too quickly- cortisol spikes, middle of night waking, night sweats...
4/13 held at .6 for 3 weeks so far. Off most supplements as well. Withdrawal depression almost gone!

7/13 OFF OF CELEXA!!!

• 9 months later...

Do these work in lifting mood? Has anyone used them successfully?

May 2001 - age 24 given 20 mg seroxat. Tried to reduce myself after a year. Told by GP to take on alternate days and I would be fine. FAIL. Assumed 'wrong time' due to university stress and that my 'depression' must be worse than I thought.

Increased dose to 30 mg December 2002. Tried the same technique as before to reduce- made it down to a quarter tablet but couldn't stand symptoms, had a sneaking suspicion that it was due to tablets but never considered dependency - 'depression is a diseased brain after all' (is what I was told)

Continued until October 2010 - tried to CT and managed to last five months - assumed the depression was really bad but had no understanding of the reason for awful anxiety. Ran back to GP started Prozac- went crazy thought I was going to die. Stopped Prozac after two weeks.

April 2010 Started sertraline. Stablished but felt numbed.

September 2010 Asked for seroxat again. Upped my dose to 30 after three weeks. Felt hyper, caffeinated, but functional. Glad to be over what I thought was 'depression'..

Realised it is the meds, want to be free at last - July 2012 started 10% taper from original dose and took supplements. Took suppliments sporadically and despite the temptation the taper, wanted it 'over with'. Taper took exactly six months and 10 days.

Reductions were as follows:
First 2 weeks- 27 mg
Next 2- 24mg
Next 2- 21 mg
Next 2- 18mg
Next 2 15 mg
Next 2 12 mg (held for four weeks due to house move from London back to Ireland)
Next 2 weeks- 9 mg
Next 2 weeks- 6 mg
Next 2- weeks 3 mg
Next 2 weeks 1.5 mg (held for 5 weeks as scared)
10th February 2013 Jumped to zero

Within 3 weeks sadness, led to anxiety.  Restarted suppliments - helped a bit.  Stressful move to London. A lot of fatigue and DEEP emotions. Crying LOTS. Took suppliments on and off, moved back to Ireland after being back in London for only eight weeks as felt too sad and unsettled. 

No suppliments when moved back.  Unhappy at being back, scared I wouldn't ever find happiness - deep deep sadness, anger, STUPIDLY went back to doctor and decided I must just be a 'depressive'.  Given Citalopram/Celexa 20mg.

Took it for seven days, changed my mind, decided to be 'strong' and put it behind me. (No particularly adverse effects that I recall, save for day 5 having inner vibrations in arms and legs) Still had pack of tablets however and every time emotions got hard felt I had to 'go back onto tablets'.  I did this from July until November. (On them off them on them off them) ........

Started to get body vibrations and told myself it was 'anxiety' and I was 'giving myself panic attacks.  I continued to cry as I 'started' the tablets again and again - not wanting to go back there but not sure what else to do. 

More vibrations - but didn't make the connection that I had a compromised CNS -  thought it was anxiety....chest started to pound in Sept, vibrations continued...lost weight, became anxious, sleep was awful and I tried a variety of remedies to replace the tablets and calm my anxiety and lift my mood.  I think they made things worse.

(These included, St.Johns Wort, Rescue Remedy, Homeopathic treatments, Chinese herbs, Passiflora, and suppliments from the online company who state they are experts in assisting people get off meds)

Also did the following:

Talking therapy

Human Givens Therapy

Homeopathy

Narcotics Anonymous

October 23rd took Citalopram (20mg) for 12 days - no relief

November 6th Started Seroxat 10 mg (to be safe) stupidly upped to 20 the next day.

Stayed on 20 for 18 days, no relief, stopped for two days suddenly, relief came - short lived, vibrations and torture came after 72 hours.  Suicidal for days.  Upped to 30 thinking it would improved.  Even more suicidal.  Dropped to 20 again (December 9th) not suicidal, but not better. Started liquid 28th December reduced to 18 mg in effort to reduce and stabilise.  Don't know where to go from here.  Living with parents who are supportive beyond words.

Sweetcreature

• Moderator Emeritus

I wouldn't be without mine, I don't think I would get through a winter without it and have used one for years.  :)

**I am not a medical professional, if in doubt please consult a doctor with withdrawal knowledge.

Different drugs occasionally (mostly benzos) 1976 - 1981 (no problem)

1993 - 2002 in and out of hospital. every type of drug + ECT. Staring with seroxat

2002  effexor. 

Tapered  March 2012 to March 2013, ending with 5 beads.

Withdrawal April 2013 . Reinstated 5 beads reduced to 4 beads May 2013

Restarted taper  Nov 2013  

OFF EFFEXOR Feb 2015    :D 

Tapered atenolol and omeprazole Dec 2013 - May 2014

Tapering tramadol, Feb 2015 100mg , March 2015 50mg  

July 2017 30mg.  May 15 2018 25mg

Taking fish oil, magnesium, B12, folic acid, bilberry eyebright for eye pressure. 

My story http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/4199-hello-mammap-checking-in/page-33

Lesson learned, slow down taper at lower doses. Taper no more than 10% of CURRENT dose if possible

Any particular brand recommended and affordable?

Current:

*Abt 1995, started fluoxetine 20 mg/day, later raised to 40 mg; *Abt 1997, started Klonopin ? mg/day

*Abt [??] started first, very slow Klon taper

*Sept 2016, Klon updosed; swapped fluox for duloxetine/lamotrigine/Seroquel (very small dose of last, for sleep) cocktail

*Early 2018, stopped Seroquel; *2020, started second Klon taper

*Abt July 2022, accidental 33% Klon cut, w/no updose; have been holding for 15 mos

*Mar 2023, abrupt lamotrigine cut from 75- to 50 mg/day; *May-June 2023, abrupt dulox cut from 90 mg- to 60 mg/day

*As of June 2023, taking lamotrigine 50 mg/day, duloxetine 60 mg/day, Klonopin .25 mg/day, metoprolol 50 mg/day, Eliquis 5 mg/day, levothyroxine 75 mcg/day

"Forget to remember; remember to forget."

• Moderator Emeritus

Mine is this one, it's new and feels very light and flimsy but does it's job and is small. It's also a clock. 

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/SRS320-Dawn-Simulator-and-Light-Therapy-Product-/380175946592?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item5884409360

Not sure it's worth all that money though, I'm sure a cheaper model will be just as effective. I like the portability, it will fit in my suitcase when I visit my daughter.

My old one was a very heavy bulky wood box with the light inside it, I still have it for working at my sewing machine but don't use it as a sun lamp any more. 

Is this the kind you meant? Or did you mean the kind that helps skin conditions? I don't know anything about those.

There is a thread on light boxes here. 

http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/1470-light-boxes-for-depression-and-sleep-disorders/?hl=%2Blight+%2Btherapy

**I am not a medical professional, if in doubt please consult a doctor with withdrawal knowledge.

Different drugs occasionally (mostly benzos) 1976 - 1981 (no problem)

1993 - 2002 in and out of hospital. every type of drug + ECT. Staring with seroxat

2002  effexor. 

Tapered  March 2012 to March 2013, ending with 5 beads.

Withdrawal April 2013 . Reinstated 5 beads reduced to 4 beads May 2013

Restarted taper  Nov 2013  

OFF EFFEXOR Feb 2015    :D 

Tapered atenolol and omeprazole Dec 2013 - May 2014

Tapering tramadol, Feb 2015 100mg , March 2015 50mg  

July 2017 30mg.  May 15 2018 25mg

Taking fish oil, magnesium, B12, folic acid, bilberry eyebright for eye pressure. 

My story http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/4199-hello-mammap-checking-in/page-33

Lesson learned, slow down taper at lower doses. Taper no more than 10% of CURRENT dose if possible

Important Information

Terms of Use Privacy Policy