SurvivingAntidepressants.org is temporarily closed to new registrations until 1 April ×

Exhaustion

SlowandSteady

Hello. I would love to have some reassurance that my exhaustion is not unique and that it will get better in time. Last fall I started having sever insomnia/anxiety/stress and it wore me down to the point that I was in hospital 5 weeks ago for tachycardia. I had 2 more less severe episodes that same week following it. I have been off work for 'burn out' and have been resting and exhausted pretty much the whole time.

Sometimes the fatigue is so overwhelming and profound it makes me feel like I going to die. Then I get anxiety about it though I've been good to steer my thinking away from that to 'this too shall pass'.

I still have insomnia and also get anxiety when I do think sleep because I'm worried about the impact on my health. I am practicing good sleep hygiene from recommendations I have learned. Helping little by little. Definitely progress.

My burnout I believe is connected to withdrawal from AD's. Had taken them for years and stopped them last summer after tapers for total of 2 years.

Worst decision recently was to let my family doctor talk me into starting zoloft. He's been adamant about it the tines I've seen him complaining about exhaustion. Since blood tests are normal he thinks I'm depressed. I disagree. I think Im just exhausted.

So I caved last week and started 25 mg. Took it for 8 days and stopped. I can't believe i started it in the first place. I guess my anxiety and weakness made me doubt my intuition and think maybe they'll help. So my symptoms were so awful. More like symptoms one would have starting a much higher dose. And the fatigue was really worse than I've been already dealing with.

Now I don't want any part of the drug so just stopped. But here I am so wiped. And I'm sure the zoloft has set me back but overall I'm tired a lot anyways

Just laying get down frequently. Some days I'm able to walk and do a few errands. Then I rest. Other days I can't do anything. Such as today. It's so disheartening. There's so much I want to be up and doing. And that's another clue why I feel I'm not depressed.

Has anyone experienced this and improved over time? Or know about this? I'd so appreciate some encouragement or tips.

i get alot of brain fatigue and its intermittent ,very heavy tiredness and my eyes want to close ,I've pushed my exercise when I shouldn't so I've learned when to rest and pull back ,try not to worry it just puts us in a toxic merry-go-round.

Chronic Fatigue Syndrome

I'm a big fan of this guy ,we really have to look at all aspects of our life as best we can  . 

Alcohol free since February 2015 

1MG diazepam

4.5MG PROZAC.

Thanks for your note and the link. I do like that guy too though I hadn't seen this episode. Maybe CFS is what I have gifted to me from the pharmaceuticals I've taken!

the main thing is we inform ourselves with evidence based research .when my symptoms give me a break  I love to research and listen to seminars ,don't get in a trap of thinking yourself into a diagnosis its dangerous .

respect  PB

Alcohol free since February 2015 

1MG diazepam

4.5MG PROZAC.

S&S - i also struggle with crushing fatigue . I am still working and barely surviving, taking it hour by hour and minute by minute. I sleep a lot too like 9 hours minimum and 10 -11 on weekends . I quit SSRI essentially CT reinstated 3 months later for 2 months and then switched to another SSRI . Now 5 months on new SSRI and the fatigue is stil there . Sometimes it is okay but mostly it is terrible . No idea when it will improve . Sorry for discouraging post . How long have you been on SSRI ?

04/10 Luvox 25 mg PM, Nortriptyline 1 mg PM

03/08/19: Buspar 2.5 mg AM, 5 mg PM

01/01/19: Xanax 0.125 AM 5 times a week. Occasionally, 0.125 twice a day AM & noon

12/18 Armour Thyroid 60 mg (for hypothyroidism) 

Supplements: B Complex, B12 (adeno), multi-vitamin, D, Adrenal Cortex, iron

• Lexapro 20 mg 2007 - 2013 with various attempts to stop
  • 2013 found a new Dr and started trying other meds: Prozac, Notryptoline, Effexor, Buspar, Gabapentin, Paxil, Nardil
  • Lexapro 15 mg 2015 - 04/2016
  • Vibryiid 10 - 15mg 05/16-06/16 
  • NO MEDS 07/16 - 10/31/16
  • Reinstated 10/31/16 at 2.5 mg lexapro, increased to 5 mg   
  • 1/13/17 switched to Luvox 50 mg before bed
  • 1/20/17 Luvox 37.5 mg PM
  • 12/18 Luvox 10 mg PM, Nortriptyline 2 mg (started Nortriptyline 06/17 at 10 mg)

• 4 months later...

Did anyone's fatigue get better with time?  What helped and what did not?  Desperately looking for some encouragement.  I reinstated in October 2016 and still struggling so much with fatigue.  My body feels so heavy and weak no matter how much I sleep.  It tends to get worse towards the end of the week maybe because I work full time and my body just collapses by Friday.  Dr says it is anxiety.  I do not feel depressed or anxious, I am just very exhausted 

01/01/19: Xanax 0.125 AM 5 times a week. Occasionally, 0.125 twice a day AM & noon

• 2013 found a new Dr and started trying other meds: Prozac, Notryptoline, Effexor, Buspar, Gabapentin, Paxil, Nardil
  • 12/18 Luvox 10 mg PM, Nortriptyline 2 mg (started Nortriptyline 06/17 at 10 mg)

Yes, I experienced this horrendous fatigue whilst on a cruise with my MIL and her 2 nieces, and I know it wasn't illness as my blood work etc., came back "normal" earlier this year.

It was fatigue from too much cortisol/adrenaline in my system that had just worn me out as I had been anticipating the trip for some time.

I didn't get it everyday, it was off/on and when I did get it, I wasn't sure how I carried on with things as it was as though my body was shutting down, and I somehow had to keep going.

Dose History: 19 Feb 2014 - Escitalopram 10mg daily June 2015 - Started taper, 5mg every other day July 2015 - 5mg every 2 days August 2015 - 5mg every 3 days September 2015 - 5mg every 4 days Sept 14th - Completed tapering, but at 7 weeks "drug free" I suffered serious WD symptoms as a consequence of "incorrect" tapering. Nov 25 2015 - Re-instated Cipralex @ 2.5mg daily. WD symptoms faded. Held at this dose and experienced "windows and waves". 12 Oct 2017 Reduced dose to 1.25mg. 13 Mar 2018 Reduced dose to 0.625mg (approx.). 16 April 2018 0mg. Windows and waves triggered by stress (IBS/reflux, headaches, sinus issues) Aug 2019 Mirena coil fitted 6 Jan 2020 MAJOR Wave hit 19 months following last dose (protracted WD).  Symptoms listed below Mar 2020 Mirena coil removal.

Therapy: Nov 15th 2016 Re-started therapy Jan 19th 2017 Started CBT Dec 2017 Started listening to Hypnotherapy CD (self-esteem). Nov 2019 Started couples therapy.

Supplements: "Bioglan" Biotic Balance Ultimate Flora 10 billion CFU, live Bacteria, Probiotic, suitable for Vegetarians, with Lactobacillus Acidophilus, Lactobacillus Rhamnosus, Bifidobacterium Longum"Pukka" Vitalise a unique blend of 30 energising botanicals.

Diet: 16 April 2018 Detox cleanse / anti-candida for 90 days. Jan 2020 Started "small plate" diet (i.e child size portions).

Exercise: Stretching, Yoga, Pilates, Spinning, Elliptical/upper body workout, walking.

Medical Test Results: 4 Jan 2017 Homeopathic Treatment starts 24 Feb 2017 Started weight loss program 24 Mar 2017 Naturopathic Treatment + anti-Candida diet started due to suspected Candida Related Complex (CRC). DETOXED for 7 weeks to "re-set" gut. April 2017 "Genova Diagnostics" Comprehensive Stool Analysis NEGATIVE; Full Blood Count (Normal) / Blood Cholesterol: 5.6 (Borderline) / Blood Sugar (Normal) / 28 Jun 2017 FSH 8.2 / 14 Nov 2017 FSH 17.7 Dec 2017 Blood Cholesterol: 3.9 (Normal) / Kidney Function (Normal) / Blood Sugar (Normal). December 2017 "Genova Diagnostics" Food panel allergy (bloodwork) analysis - a few "VERY LOW/VL" allergens; Mar 2018 "Genova Diagnostics" SIBO urine analysis: High Level of Yeast/fungal markers found in small intestine but NO SIBO.  April 2018 Thyroid (Normal) / Full Blood Count (Normal) / FSH (Normal). 16 April 2018 Started anti-Candida diet - 3 month protocol.   25 March 2020 All test results "Normal". CRP" 5 mg/L (normal range to 0-5 mg/L).

Symptoms:  Flu-like symptoms, anxiety, anhedonia, sinus headaches right-side (severe), IBS issues/reflux (severe)**, tinnitus, fatigue, inner tremor, nausea, chills/hot flushes, pounding heart, muscular issues including stiff left hip flexor, intense anger, PSSD (ongoing).  **Histhamine intolerance (suspected).

Major Life Events: 

Re-located to UK from Canada: Jan 2016

My father died: 5:05pm, Monday 5 Feb 2018 Last Lexapro dose: 16 April 2018 (its now been over a year since I quit ADs)  Moved house: Friday 23rd February 2018  "Divorced" toxic Mother: Monday 26 March 2018 Starting working again: 19 November 2018  Diagnosed with: 5th August 2021 PTSD/C-PTSD Diagnosed with: March 2022 Interstitial Cystitis (IC)/Painful bladder syndrome

JC - thank you for the reply.  Do you think that your fatigue was caused by anticipation anxiety and not withdrawal?  I did read how constant anxiety and stress can cause fatigue and wonder if mine is attributable to WD or anxiety.  I guess in the end it does not matter if WD only time and perhaps reinstatement of the small amount would help but if anxiety then I have to continue with exercise meditation and all that nurturing stuff 

2 hours ago, Blondiee1915 said:

JC - thank you for the reply.  Do you think that your fatigue was caused by anticipation anxiety and not withdrawal?  I did read how constant anxiety and stress can cause fatigue and wonder if mine is attributable to WD or anxiety.  I guess in the end it does not matter if WD only time and perhaps reinstatement of the small amount would help but if anxiety then I have to continue with exercise meditation and all that nurturing stuff 

Hi Blondiee:

I get a lot of anxiety. Especially everything that has been going on in my life lately. I'm exhausted. I don't know if it's really WD, I think it is my anxiety.

Hope you feel better soon.

Take care,

Frogie xx

PREVIOUS medications and discontinuations: Have been on medications since 1996. 

Valium, Gabapentin, Lamictal, Prilosec and Zantac from 2000 to 2015 with a fast taper by a psychiatrist.

Liquid Lexapro Nov, 2016 to 31-March, 2019 Lexapro free!!! (total Lexapro taper was 4 years-started with pill form)

---CURRENT MEDICATIONS:Supplements:Milk Thistle, Metamucil, Magnesium Citrate, Vitamin D3, Levothyroxine 25mcg, Vitamin C, Krill oil.

Xanax 1mg 3x day June, 2000 to 19-September, 2020 Went from .150 grams (average weight of 1 Xanax) 3x day to .003 grams 3x day. April 1, 2021 went back on 1mg a day. Started tapering May 19, 2023. July 28, 2023-approximately .87mg. Dr. fast tapered me at the end and realized he messed up. Prescribe it again and I am doing "slower than a turtle" taper.

19-September, 2020 Xanax free!!! (total Xanax taper was 15-1/2 months-1-June, 2019-19-September, 2020)

I am not a medical professional.

The suggestions I make are based on personal experience.

Important Information

Terms of Use Privacy Policy