SurvivingAntidepressants.org is temporarily closed to new registrations until 1 April ×

Letter To Dr Foster

Neuroplastic

To Dr Mark Foster

In the first place, I’d like to express my deepest gratitude for what you are doing for your patients and for all those suffering from the over-prescription of psychiatric drugs.

I am such a case myself. (my personal data here – name, country, age). I have been suffering from a plethora of symptoms for more than two years after the discontinuation of Paxil.

Had not it been for my experiencing the atrocity of SSRI withdrawal, never would I believe in its severity. The drug was prescribed for a situational depression 12 years ago. Then, slightly over two years ago, after stopping taking it, I went into a severe, difficult to explain in words, wihdrawal. I’m getting better with every passing month, and my goal now is to share this experience with other people whose life has been taken away by the unmitigated over-use of SSRIs.

It’s really sad to hear how people like you are treated by the system. People of integrity, those who stayed clear of the iatrogenic trap, those who were brave enough to choose their own, noble way. I’d like to express my absolute conviction that your knowledge and “moral stamina” may really help to Change Things.

I’m writing this letter on the behalf of my colleagues from a newly established Internet forum. We would be privileged if you decided to visit us. It’s without a doubt the most professional forum dealing with SSRI withdrawal syndrome thus far.

Here’s the Web address of Surviving Antidepressants:

http://survivingantidepressants.org

A word of explanation – the forum is *only* one week old. It was launched 19th March, though we had been working on it for much longer. It is already growing every single day. We’ve been documenting protracted withdrawal syndrome, offering help to those suffering from withdrawal, and last, but not least, doing advocacy work.

Observing the forum would permit you to follow the participants' progress. Reading their reports of symptoms can assist you in your research.

After logging in, you may want to contact the administrator, "Surviving," or one of the moderators. I’m one of those (“Neuroplastic”).

We’re looking forward to meeting you in our forum, Surviving Antidepresssants, Dr. Foster.

Sincerely,

(Name)

"Neuroplastic" – a moderator

PS Thank you for these beautiful words by Viktor Frankl: “We should not, then, be hesitant about challenging man with a potential meaning for him to fulfill. It is only thus that we evoke his will to meaning from its state of latency. I consider it a dangerous misconception of mental hygiene to assume that what man needs in the first place is equilibrium or, as it is called in biology, homeostasis, i.e., a tensionless state. What man actually needs is not a tensionless state but rather the striving and struggling for a worthwhile goal, a freely chosen task. What he needs is not the discharge of tension at any cost but the call of a potential meaning waiting to be fulfilled by him."

2000-2008 Paxil for a situational depression

2008 - Paxil c/t

Severe protracted WD syndrome ever since; improving

“The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once”

Albert Einstein

"Add signature to your profile. This way we can help you even better!"

Surviving Antidepressants ;)

And, above all, ... keep walking. Just keep walking.

Nice letter Neuroplastic! I hope he will join our new forum. And as I read in a post on PP, it appears that every doctor who want to speak out is fired or dismissed. It is a long long battle against a totally corrupt and perverse system but unfortunately where the money is, is the power. But even Hitler and his Nazi army was finally beaten were they appeared unbeatable in the first years of WW2. I really hope that something will change one day! But it is so difficult for us to prove that our misery was caused by the meds! Pitfall number one is that every symptom is linked to the notorious original condition and pitfall number 2 is that our sometimes strange/agressive/insulting behaviour (see my other posts!) is seen as a prove that we needs those meds to act as normal people...

I had never heared before of dr. Mark Froster but apparently he is one of the good ones, together with Healy, Breggin, Glenmullin, Whitaker etc.

10 mg Paxil/Seroxat since 2002
several attempts to quit since 2004
Quit c/t again Oktober 2007, in protracted w/d since then
after 3.5 years slight improvement but still on the road

after 6 years pretty much recovered but still some nasty residual sypmtons
after 8.5 years working again on a 90% base and basically functioning normally again!

Beautiful letter, NP! Passionate!

And thank you for doing it so promptly!

1996-97 - Paxil x 9 months, tapered, suffered 8 months withdrawal but didn't know it was withdrawal, so...

1998-2001 - Zoloft, tapered, again unwittingly went into withdrawal, so...

2002-03 - Paxil x 20 months, developed severe headaches, so...

Sep 03 - May 05 - Paxil taper took 20 months, severe physical, moderate psychological symptoms

Sep 03 - Jun 05 - took Prozac to help with Paxil taper - not recommended

Jul 05 to date - post-taper, severe psychological, moderate physical symptoms, improving very slowly

Brilliant Neuro, lets hope he decides to join us,

Its a shame that this ssri wd syndrome and protracted wd is so poorly understood,

it leads to so many being poly drugged for illnesses and ailments they do not have

when recovery is complete - odd that?

As for the excuse or reason for our suffering, we all know why we are here, and

what has caused it, its antidepressants, period.

As for " its a return of your original illness ",

in my case its not possible, i had zero symptoms, and was prescribed for grief.

How gullible was i, to think the answer to grief could be found any in pill!!!!

Angie

Began taking 30mg Seroxat on 15th Jan 1997 for grief issues. Remained at that dosage until Dec 05, did doctor ct, akathesia set in along with being non functional and overly emotional, brain fog. Doctor prescribed prozac, propranelol and diazeapam to counteract side effects, and told me to ct those 3 after 2.5/3 months use, induced wd seizure on 2nd day after ct. Was reinstated on seroxat 20mg in april 06, remained at that dose until Nov 07 and began a very slow taper lasting 56 months, finally DRUG FREE on 11th may 2011.

hey Neuro,

well written !

for anxiety 

12 years paxil - cold turkey 1,5 month - switch celexa 1 year taper; total 13 years on brain meds 

67 years old - 9 years  med free

in protracted withdrawal

rigidity standing and walking, dryness gougerot-szoegren, sleep deteriorate,

function as have a lack of nerves, improving have been very little 

Oh Neuro..........this is Mega Awesome!! So well done!

BTW, the book Man's Search for Meaning was one of the first books I read (many years ago) in my search for meaning. So, it's so dear to my heart.........Viktor Frankl is one of my wise teachers...........I feel blessed being exposed to him.

Thank you for putting so much time and energy into creating this letter Neuro!

Many Meaningful Moments to Us All!

Punar

To Face My Trials with "The Grace of a Woman Rather Than the Grief of a Child". (quote section by Veronica A. Shoffstall)

Be Not Afraid of Growing Slowly. Be Afraid of Only Standing Still.

(Chinese Proverb)

I Create and Build Empowerment Within Each Time I Choose to Face A Fear, Sit with it and Ask Myself, "What Do I Need to Learn?"

• Administrator

Bravo, Neuro. By reaching out to like-minded people, we will Change Things.

Thank you so much for taking this action.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

Got a letter from Dr. Foster. He will be very happy to visit us! That's one good news. The other good news is that he expressed his absolute conviction that the healing from these drugs is only a matter of time due to our brain's ability to re-wire itself (neuroplasticity). I stay in touch with him.

Write/invite the Good Guys, folks! The more of us, the better! It can be done!

2008 - Paxil c/t

Albert Einstein

Got a letter from Dr. Foster. He will be very happy to visit us! That's one good news. The other good news is that he expressed his absolute conviction that the healing from these drugs is only a matter of time due to our brain's ability to re-wire itself (neuroplasticity). I stay in touch with him.

This is FANTASTIC Neuro!! Brilliant work! Amazing how quickly he got back to you and so wonderful he acknowledged your letter, not to mention offered his reassurances regarding recovery.

Punar

To Face My Trials with "The Grace of a Woman Rather Than the Grief of a Child". (quote section by Veronica A. Shoffstall)

(Chinese Proverb)

I Create and Build Empowerment Within Each Time I Choose to Face A Fear, Sit with it and Ask Myself, "What Do I Need to Learn?"

This is FANTASTIC Neuro!! Brilliant work! Amazing how quickly he got back to you and so wonderful he acknowledged your letter, not to mention offered his reassurances regarding recovery.

Punar

hey Punar,

there is not only Neuro on this board, you could wish me welcome, I have purposely not changed my name so you recognize me, i was waiting but time pass and we are soon april, you know i am resentful! (with my translator)

for anxiety 

12 years paxil - cold turkey 1,5 month - switch celexa 1 year taper; total 13 years on brain meds 

67 years old - 9 years  med free

in protracted withdrawal

rigidity standing and walking, dryness gougerot-szoegren, sleep deteriorate,

function as have a lack of nerves, improving have been very little 

hey Punar,

there is not only Neuro on this board, you could wish me welcome, I have purposely not changed my name so you recognize me, i was waiting but time pass and we are soon april, you know i am resentful! (with my translator)

LOL!

1996-97 - Paxil x 9 months, tapered, suffered 8 months withdrawal but didn't know it was withdrawal, so...

1998-2001 - Zoloft, tapered, again unwittingly went into withdrawal, so...

2002-03 - Paxil x 20 months, developed severe headaches, so...

Sep 03 - May 05 - Paxil taper took 20 months, severe physical, moderate psychological symptoms

Sep 03 - Jun 05 - took Prozac to help with Paxil taper - not recommended

Jul 05 to date - post-taper, severe psychological, moderate physical symptoms, improving very slowly

hey Punar,

Oh Stan................please forgive me. Welcome to you. I have not welcomed many people yet. I'm not ignoring anyone at all. I'm just overloaded and feeling pulled in different directions. There is so much going on and too difficult to read everything etc. in one day. I"ve been away for days at a time and just spent today reading many posts and responding to many. Can't keep up with it all.

I will likely have brain-zaps tonight due to being on-line too late and for too long today.

I'm going away for a few more days to a week and I when I come back we will have to share some time joking around.

In the meantime, you and Neuro will have one less female to contend with (LOL). Won't that be a relief (LOL).

Take care and talk to you soon Stan!

Punar

(Chinese Proverb)

That's bloody good news Neuro! From where does het get this info? I guess he has followed a bunch of WD sufferers, just like David Healy. Does he have any indication about the time-frame of the most severe protracted WD sufferers?

10 mg Paxil/Seroxat since 2002
several attempts to quit since 2004
Quit c/t again Oktober 2007, in protracted w/d since then
after 3.5 years slight improvement but still on the road

after 6 years pretty much recovered but still some nasty residual sypmtons
after 8.5 years working again on a 90% base and basically functioning normally again!

I'll be asking him about it in more detail in the next letters.

2008 - Paxil c/t

Albert Einstein

• 3 months later...

I am SOOO glad to learn about Dr. Foster...I had not heard of him until now. And to think, he is in my home state of Colorado!! If I get a meeting with him, I'll let you all know!

Zoloft 50mg for 7.5 years

Developed akathisia while on the drug Dec. 2009

Severe withdrawal/damage

Drug-free since May 5, 2011

• Administrator

Please do. We are all rooting for him.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.