SurvivingAntidepressants.org is temporarily closed to new registrations until 1 April ×

Do we blame everything on withdrawal?

Terry4949

I have been thinking the last couple of days as to wether maybe we put everything down to withdrawel in hope that in time it al go,s away , I wake up every morning with a internal shake and nervousness , I feel like I have a heavy weight sitting on my chest , I cannot go out in the sun or have a hot bath for fear of raising my body temperature as I over heat all the time , sweat all day no matter how cold it is , can have chills on the hottest days , head and kneck pain everyday , watery eyes , now the depression is something that has been made 10times worse by the antidepressants I know , but when I think about when I did feel better I still have had these physical symptoms for years now and they haven't improved , so is this part of withdrawel or is it a separate underlying problem that I am just leaving because I think it is withdrawel , I have had my thyroid checked ,blood test by the doctor who tells me that it is all normal but , out of the 10 symptoms they flag up I can tick 8 of them which are severe, I feel like I have been chasing for this answer for 110 years now , I am very limited to what I can do because of the physical symptoms every day torture , but what if it's not withdrawel as I have now come to believe that every ache pain etc is withdrawel , over looking the fact that everybody from time to time gets a headache , cold. or other complaints , so we are not immune to that , how do we tell the difference between w/d and a more serious illness , I feel unwell everyday but I may have cancer but I don't go to the doctors because I treat all my symptoms as withdrawel so I just get on with it , but what if I did have a severe illness and I let my self go untreated because I am confusing the two illnesses, i know I would like to find a alternative reason to why I have felt so bad for all these years but I don't want to misdiagnoseing my self because I have been led to believe it's w/d

2001 to jan 2015 Effexor 150 mg 

jan 2015 15 mg mirtazapine 20 mg quetiapine 

feb 2015 quetiapine stopped 

feb 2015 30 mg of citalopram added 

feb 2015 mirtazapine increased to 30 mg 

july 2015 citalopram stopped 

sept 2015 200mg of pregabalin 

jan 2017 mirtazapine stopped

jan 2017 20 mg fluoxetine

march 2017 all meds stopped 

My sympathies to you, Terry4949, you are living hell on earth, it would appear.  IMO, you do not need to be suffering so badly.  (NB, I am not a medical person.)

In brief, let me say just a couple of things:

i - this site is mainly for advice on how to cope with getting off - or reducing to a survivable level, is the way I read it - antidepressants and benzos.

ii - most of us visit here with that in mind.  However, many of us, clearly, should not be "currently on nothing", as you say you are.

I trust you will read between the lines and soon be on a journey to better times.

Best wishes,

peng (currently on 118.75mg Effexor XL, down from 225.0mg last year). 

PS - You say you were on 100mg Effexor 2000-2015.  What size capsules? - mine have only been in 150, 75 and 37.5mg doses.  Maybe 100, or 25mg is a size I do not get here.

Born 1945. 

1999 - First Effexor/Venlafaxine

2016 Withdrawal research. Effexor.  13Jul - 212.5mg;  6Aug - 200.0mg;  24Aug - 187.5mg;  13Sep - 175.0mg;  3Oct - 162.5mg;  26Oct - 150mg 

2017  9Jan - 150.00mg;  23Mar - 137.50mg;  24Apr - 125.00mg;  31May - 112.50mg holding;  3Sep - 100.00mg;  20Sep - 93.75mg;  20Oct - 87.5mg;  12Nov - 81.25mg;  13 Dec - 75.00mg

2018  18Jan - 69.1mg; 16Feb - 62.5mg; 16March - 57.5mg (-8%); 22Apr - 56.3mg(-2%); CRASHED - Updose 29May - 62.5mg; Updose - 1Jul - 75.0mg. Updose - 2Aug - 87.5mg. Updose - 27Aug - 100.0mg. Updose - 11Oct 112.5mg. Updose - 6Nov 125.00mg

2019 Updoses 19 Jan - 150.0mg. 1April - 162.5mg. 24 April - Feeling better - doing tasks, getting outside.  7 May - usual depression questionnaire gives "probably no depression" result.

Supps/Vits  Omega 3;  Chelated Magnesium;  Prebiotics/Probiotics, Vit D3. 

You're asking great questions, Terry.   In 2011, I went to a sleep doc to be evaluated for sleep apnea since I had a family history of it and was not sleeping well.  It turned out I did but unfortunately, never adapted to pap therapy which is a whole other post.

Regarding cancer, make sure you keep up with all your regular screenings to hopefully avoid being diagnosed with it or to catch things early.

Finally, I would trust your gut instincts.   If you feel something may not be withdrawal related, go to your doctor.   Better to be safe than sorry.

CS

Drug cocktail 1995 - 2010
Started taper of Adderall, Wellbutrin XL, Remeron, and Doxepin in 2006
Finished taper on June 10, 2010

Temazepam on a PRN basis approximately twice a month - 2014 to 2016

Beginning in 2017 - Consumption increased to about two times per week

April 2017 - Increased to taking it full time for insomnia

I have been thinking the last couple of days as to wether maybe we put everything down to withdrawel in hope that in time it al go,s away , I wake up every morning with a internal shake and nervousness , I feel like I have a heavy weight sitting on my chest , I cannot go out in the sun or have a hot bath for fear of raising my body temperature as I over heat all the time , sweat all day no matter how cold it is , can have chills on the hottest days , head and kneck pain everyday , watery eyes , now the depression is something that has been made 10times worse by the antidepressants I know , but when I think about when I did feel better I still have had these physical symptoms for years now and they haven't improved , so is this part of withdrawel or is it a separate underlying problem that I am just leaving because I think it is withdrawel , I have had my thyroid checked ,blood test by the doctor who tells me that it is all normal but , out of the 10 symptoms they flag up I can tick 8 of them which are severe, I feel like I have been chasing for this answer for 110 years now , I am very limited to what I can do because of the physical symptoms every day torture , but what if it's not withdrawel as I have now come to believe that every ache pain etc is withdrawel , over looking the fact that everybody from time to time gets a headache , cold. or other complaints , so we are not immune to that , how do we tell the difference between w/d and a more serious illness , I feel unwell everyday but I may have cancer but I don't go to the doctors because I treat all my symptoms as withdrawel so I just get on with it , but what if I did have a severe illness and I let my self go untreated because I am confusing the two illnesses, i know I would like to find a alternative reason to why I have felt so bad for all these years but I don't want to misdiagnoseing my self because I have been led to believe it's w/d

hi terry u make a valid and interesting  point here ,I read a post recently about anxiety ,how it tricks the brain into feeling so called normal aches/pains and worries much worse than they are [compromised nervous system I think] .this paper about anxiety said anxiety is the cause of millions wasted on health tests .[not saying you've wasted your money]

I agree with compsports ,you've got to get checked if you think you've cancer.

only recently I got my blood pressure checked and it was fine.

anxiety can be a huge problem and we don't even realise we have it ,only recently I realised I've had it most my life but never understood what it was .but withdrawal anxiety is a nightmare .

take care

PB   

Alcohol free since February 2015 

1MG diazepam

4.5MG PROZAC.

I think it's important to remember how antidepressants have affected our bodies, that *normal* levels don't mean that our bodies receptors are using our body chemistry in the same way as a person who never took antidepressants did. And sometimes the medical *fixes* and over the counter medicines for non-antidepressant related conditions don't work in the same way on our sensitive systems. Similarly, regular illnesses can take a much bigger toll on a body that's been stressed, especially if you've been stressed by having to ct off those medications which you last did not so long ago. You may need good deal more time to heal, that doesn't mean you won't heal or that your symptoms will stay at the same level. I guess that's why these forums are so good so we can check if what we experience is common amongst others in WD. 

Also bear in mind that some of the general symptoms we all experience are often quite severe. Among them, increased stress responses can make the neuro emotions that make our minds worry and fret, make our body temperatures hard to control, many other things. But when you visit a doctor they like to prescribe a solution (it's what doctors are trained to do) but prescriptions can sometimes do more harm than good to a recovering system. I've learned that one the hard way more than once. 

Patience and acceptance of our limitations as we recover is perhaps the hardest and most useful thing we can learn to practice in the meantime. I'm working on that one myself. 

2010: Adverse reaction to citalopram/suicidal.

2010-2014: Venlafaxine doses 75-150-300. Began to cause heart palpitations.

2014: Adverse side effects from Sertraline

2014: Adverse reaction to Mirtazipine/suicidal. CT withdrawal. 

2014: Accute adverse reaction to one prozac pill. Body & brain went on fire. Full WD

2015: Half dose of Lorazepam restarted all the WD symptoms. 

2017: Bad reaction to stopping propranolol beta blockers. Violent shaking WD again.
2023: Severe adrenaline surges triggered by low frequency sound/vibration next door. Heart rate going dangerously high so now 25mg atenolol.

Current Supplements: Omega 3 & Vitamin C, magnesium. 
Current other medications: Metformin (type ii diabetic), Lymecycline (for rosacea), Atenolol 25mg. 

Patience and acceptance of our limitations as we recover is perhaps the hardest and most useful thing we can learn to practice in the meantime. I'm working on that one myself.

worry and fret is off the scale for me lately ,acceptance is nearly impossible for me .

well worded post

Alcohol free since February 2015 

1MG diazepam

4.5MG PROZAC.

• Administrator

If you started to feel odd symptoms, such as internal vibration, while you were reducing a drug or after you quit, it's likely those symptoms are from withdrawal.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

I've taken two pills of Lexpro and have as many symptoms as people who had been taking SSRIs for years. It's definitely more complex than withdrawal, maybe withdrawal isn't that right word In my case. What do I say to a doctor, I'm withdrawal from two pills I took a years and 6 months ago. Personally, I like to take quickest path to understanding why I'm different from someone dodging the side effects. Than maybe I'll have a better strategy to better health. So, how do we do that?

Short Term Case: 7 pill of 10 mg of Modafinil in a 3 month span, but last 3 I took back to back causing severe withdrawals, lasting 3 weeks. Than 2 pills lexapro to help withdrawal lead to more withdrawal.  I have most symptoms Pssd, emotional loss, cognitive issues, nerve damage in legs.  Also 2 benzodiazepines.  Not much to damage me long term...

I still feel if you're not sure a symptom requires medical attention, it is better to err on the side of caution and visit a doctor just to make sure.   If you don't like what they are suggesting for treatment, you can always reject their advice.

Drug cocktail 1995 - 2010
Started taper of Adderall, Wellbutrin XL, Remeron, and Doxepin in 2006
Finished taper on June 10, 2010

Temazepam on a PRN basis approximately twice a month - 2014 to 2016

Beginning in 2017 - Consumption increased to about two times per week

April 2017 - Increased to taking it full time for insomnia

I tend to refer to feelings that I've never felt before as withdrawl symptoms. When I get racing thoughts or depressed I am familiar with those feelings, so i just associate those as part of my original problem.

• Moderator Emeritus

My experience has been that withdrawal symptoms tend to cycle around with decreasing levels of intensity. Unlike symptoms of a new illness, which usually produce symptoms which increase in intensity and don't go away. Withdrawal symptoms tend to fluctuate through the day in recognizable patterns, which may change over time. Withdrawal symptoms can often go away completely for a time and then return in response to a substance, food or increase in stress.

I've taken two pills of Lexpro and have as many symptoms as people who had been taking SSRIs for years. It's definitely more complex than withdrawal, maybe withdrawal isn't that right word In my case.

Webhead, that sounds to me like you had an adverse reaction. It would be great if you would respond to the replies on your introduction thread, and provide a little more information about your situation. Link to your intro thread is here:Webhead21: Depressed symptom of a knot in head

I'm not a doctor.  My comments are not medical advise. These are my opinions based on my own experience and what I've learned. Please discuss your situation with a medical practitioner who has knowledge of tapering and withdrawal...if you are lucky enough to find one.

My Introduction Thread

Full Drug and Withdrawal History

Brief Summary

Several SSRIs for 13 years starting 1997 (for mild to moderate partly situational anxiety) Xanax PRN ~ Various other drugs over the years for side effects

2 month 'taper' off Lexapro 2010

Short acute withdrawal, followed by 2 -3 months of improvement then delayed protracted withdrawal

DX ADHD followed by several years of stimulants and other drugs trying to manage increasing symptoms

Failed reinstatement of Lexapro and trial of Prozac (became suicidal)

May 2013 Found SA, learned about withdrawal, stopped taking drugs...healing begins.

Protracted withdrawal, with a very sensitized nervous system, slowly recovering as time passes

Supplements which have helped: Vitamin C, Magnesium, Taurine

Bad reactions: Many supplements but mostly fish oil and Vitamin D

June 2016 - Started daily juicing, mostly vegetables and lots of greens.

Aug 2016 - Oct 2016 Best window ever, felt almost completely recovered

Oct 2016 -Symptoms returned - bad days and less bad days.

April 2018 - No windows, but significant improvement, it feels like permanent full recovery is close.

VIDEO: Where did the chemical imbalance theory come from?

VIDEO: How are psychiatric diagnoses made?

VIDEO: Why do psychiatric drugs have withdrawal syndromes?

VIDEO: Can psychiatric drugs cause long-lasting negative effects?

VIDEO: Dr. Claire Weekes

Important Information

Terms of Use Privacy Policy