Sign in to follow this  
FleeingFluoxetine

Has anyone had a positive experience from a psych drug?

FleeingFluoxetine

Hey, everyone.

Has anyone on this site has a positive experience from their medication? Like it took away panic attacks or helped them get through a really bad time in their lives? I know that everyone here is trying to get off, but are we just the outliers on the bell curve? Would these drugs be so popular if all they did was hurt people? Don't get me wrong, Prozac has completely screwed up my life and I want it gone, but surely there are positive stories out there, right?

Fleeing Fluoxetine

TikkiTikki

Hi Fleeing,

I would have to say yes, absolutely. Eleven years ago I was in a very bad way with constant anxiety, depression, crying ... I felt like I was truly broken and wouldn't every get well again (I can remember asking my psychiatrist for reassurance that she had seen cases like mine and they did get better). I had huge life changes, hormonal issues (pregnant), had left a job, lost some friends ... and ways of thinking about my life that were not healthy. So, I clearly can see that there were reasons, but I was NOT COPING, and once I was feeling that level of nervous collapse it was very hard to get out of without drug intervention.

Zoloft made me horrendously sick (I had hyperemesis from pregnancy anyway), so we tried Citalopram and after some weeks when it kicked in, the change was profound. I felt relaxed and SAFE and I could sleep and eat and I wasn't filled with terror and that unshakeable conviction that I was broken anymore.

I think it gave me the window to then sort out my problems and lifestyle etc with a therapist and close friends in a way I couldn't have done when I was in a state of nervous collapse.

I know that everyone here is trying to get off, but are we just the outliers on the bell curve? Would these drugs be so popular if all they did was hurt people? 

Yes, I do believe we are outliers to some extent. I think there are a range of experiences represented here on SA, but the principal one is difficulty coming off the drugs, and I think that is far more widespread than people think.

1) It's almost completely unacknowledged by drug companies and doctors, so until sites like SA and PP began collating data from lots of people, we all thought it was just us (and we trusted our doctors, because why wouldn't you?)

2) Withdrawal issues, because unacknowledged, are labelled 'relapse' by doctors, sufferers, family, friends etc. I know many people who experienced great emotional difficulty, found relief with ADs, tried to get off after a reasonable interval, mistook withdrawal issue for 'relapse' and believe they need them forever.

So yes, they kind of saved my life. And there seem to be people who can stop without difficulty, but I'm starting to think the majority of people have some issues coming off, and too many will remain medicated for the rest of their lives because they don't know about withdrawal and slow tapers.

miT

It definitely has helped me in the past when I couldn’t help myself. I got off because my liver values were not so good. Suddenly I realized these drugs didn’t only do good things. Ok then months later I got hit by the hammer and started feeling all kinds of discomfort again. But only then (when in pain) I started developing a "take matters in own hands" attitude. Over the years the drugs only covered my problems, I had never met them head on. Only now, in this difficult w/d process, I’m slowly becoming a stronger person instead of a dependent person. Apparently the drug held me back at growing as a person! But I couldn’t possibly have faced my fears so many years back, so the drug thankfully gave me that bit of life comfort.

Over the years the university of life teaches many lessons. Back then I was just a freshman. That’s fine.

FleeingFluoxetine

Thanks for sharing your stories. I'm still not sure what I think about this all. I tried getting of Prozac ten years ago under the guidance of my psychiatrist and we came down by 20 mg every two weeks. No wonder I lost my mind.

What's the PP website you mentioned?

miT

PaxilProgress.com

It has been taken offline.

You did a fast turkey. Like in between a cold turkey stop and a slow taper. No wonder indeed. Take it slow when you get really low. I'm doing 5% at a time below 5mg of paxil.

Raito

I can say they virtually saved my life. At first.

Just imagine being a PhD student, having to carry out research for your professors, and all at once being unable to relax and catch even a wink of sleep! Sounds like a nightmare, doesn't it? 

That's what drugs are intended for. Being taken for a short amount of time, to get over a difficult period of your life. Not for years.

I liked how Trazodone worked to chemically 'cheer me up' the very first days I took it... I can't say the same of Seroquel, which was (and is) my 'knock out' drug. I would never suggest anyone to take benzodiazepines, anyway. I'm still impressed by how fast I got tolerant to them! They do their job, and incredibly well, but they aren't to be taken every single day. 

Without them, I would never have been able to continue my PhD...

But since I'm getting nasty body sensations from them, on the whole, I wish I had withdrawn from them long ago... 

Edited by Raito

FleeingFluoxetine

Yeah. I guess they work. My Prozac has only ever made things worse but because it takes six weeks to kick in, I thought it was me. I had never heard of a paradoxical response. Twenty years of needless anxiety and suffering. :(

Rob66

My experience was quite good after starting Zoloft. Probably why I've been on it for so long (22yrs). After a couple weeks of starting, it took my sadness away and made me feel calm and able to deal with my current situation. It washed my depression away. Only side effect that bothered me was some mild anorgasmia. Never had a single complaint from the ladies, so things were pretty good. I could live with that. Fast forward 20 years and things are not the same as they were. I tended to blame age right away but learned that the drug is my problem and nothing else. This is why I've started weaning. If things were just as good as my 20's and 30's, I don't think I would have ever had a reason to get off them. Is it a blessing? Dunno. Perhaps if it didn't work right away I would've been subjected to AD cocktails and harmed worse than I am now. Things could've been much worse.