Woodhull: down to 25 mg Effexor IR - help with game plan

Woodhull

Hello everyone! 

I am 26 years old. I tapered off 150 mg XR a little to quickly. I was on it for about two years. I was off completely for about a month. But the anxiety kept getting worse. The pressure in the top of my chest and bottom of throat. It's hard to describe. Also it was hard for me to speak. I was extremely irritable and edgy! I felt dead and wanted to die. The withdrawal just made me feel this way. I took 25 mg IR yesterday.  This morning I took 25 mg. This afternoon i will take the second dose of 25. How long do you guise separate your doses of IR?

I am also going to do the 10% deduction of the current amount. I am doing the math, this is going to take a very long time! But that's ok, my fault for taking it. 

When i get this low is it best to make it into liquid form? I watched the video and I understand. in 4 weeks my next dose will be 22.5 mg. 

Edited by Altostrata
added paragraph breaks

150 mg Effexor xr for 2 years. (2015-2017)

Tapered to zero (04/2017-05/2017)

Was off effexor for about a month then the storm hit.

Reinstated 25 mg effexor (06/2017.

Last micro dose of Effexor on Nov 25 2017.

Been off Effexor for 11 months and still feeling AWEFUL. I feel DEAD.

• Administrator

Welcome, Woodhull.

How are you feeling now you've reinstated 25mg + 25mg Effexor? That was a smart thing to do.

Here's our topic Tips for tapering off Effexor (venlafaxine)

It explains how to take immediate-release Effexor, and how to make a liquid. You probably will want to taper the evening dose first.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

• ChessieCat changed the title to Woodhull: Down to 25 mg Effexor IR - help with game plan

Thank you!

Instead of a 1 out of 10 i feel like a 3 out of ten. You have gotten off this before?

I still feel the tension in my chest. This is absolutely crazy! 

Why are the tips for tapper off so long? A lot of content that is not related it seems. 

Doing math,

At 25 mg IR taken twice a day, each month i reduce 10% of the current amount I am on I will be off in the middle of 2020. Does this sound correct!?

I can tapper both doses in the same day correct? Or else this would take twice as long. I hope my math is incorrect :)

I feel lost. 

I apologize. 

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi Woodhull,

Glad you are feeling better after reading Alto's reply.  I am currently tapering effexor too (but still at a higher dose than you).  You are right that it does take a long time, but I feel it's much better to go slower and have less trouble than go faster and suffer more.  Take the time you need to get stabilised again after your reinstatement, and before tapering - it will make it much easier to taper if you are in a good place. 

The tips for tapering is so long because people have added their thoughts or experiences.  The important information is in the first post, so if you've read that you should be okay. 

You can also check out Non-Drug Techniques for ways of relaxing, and easing up that tight chest.  It's my favourite page on this site.  You're probably feeling all at sea right now, but things will start to fall into place.  Bit by bit, you'll get there!

Can you put your drug and withdrawal history into a signature?  Thanks. 

Welcome to SA,

Karen

2010  Fluoxetine 20mg.  2011  Escitalopram 20mg.  2013 Tapered badly and destabilised CNS.  Effexor 150mg. 

2015 Begin using info at SurvivingAntidepressants.  Cut 10% - bad w/d 2 months, held 1 month. 

Micro-tapering: four weekly 0.4% cuts, hold 4 weeks (struggling with symptoms).

8 month hold.

2017 Micro-tapering: four weekly 1% cuts, hold 4 weeks (symptoms almost non-existent).

2020 Still micro-tapering. Just over 2/3 of the way off effexor. Minimal symptoms, - and sleeping well.
Supplements: Fish oil, vitamin C, iron, oat-straw tea, nettle tea.

2023 December - Now on 5 micro-beads Effexor. Minimal symptoms but much more time needed between drops. Symptoms begin to increase.

2024 April - Updosed to 6 microbeads - immediate increase in symptoms for 4 days. Decreased to 5 microbeads.

'The possibility of renewal exists so long as life exists.'  Dr Gabor Mate.

Karen, 

Thank you. It means a lot. How many mg are you currently at? You said you are tapering off Effexor as well?

• Moderator Emeritus

I started at 150mg effexor, and after two years tapering (including an 8 month hold to help me stabilise) I am now at 105mg.  Long story short - I had awful w/d at the start, before I figured out the right tapering speed for me.  Then, things gradually improved to where I now feel nearly normal.  Care, not speed, is the essence of a successful taper.  

2010  Fluoxetine 20mg.  2011  Escitalopram 20mg.  2013 Tapered badly and destabilised CNS.  Effexor 150mg. 

2015 Begin using info at SurvivingAntidepressants.  Cut 10% - bad w/d 2 months, held 1 month. 

8 month hold.

2017 Micro-tapering: four weekly 1% cuts, hold 4 weeks (symptoms almost non-existent).

2020 Still micro-tapering. Just over 2/3 of the way off effexor. Minimal symptoms, - and sleeping well.

2023 December - Now on 5 micro-beads Effexor. Minimal symptoms but much more time needed between drops. Symptoms begin to increase.

2024 April - Updosed to 6 microbeads - immediate increase in symptoms for 4 days. Decreased to 5 microbeads.

Wow Karen!

This long!? 

Unreal. My doctor told me it'll be easy to get off of. Yes you are right. I am glad to be learning from someone like yourself. Thank you dearly. 

Do you happen to know how I can get a refile low of cost or free? Or is the process extremely long? I am in the middle of jobs. 

I have a few weeks left. 

I have also been getting a lot of tension headaches. Been taking around 6 Advil a day for quit sometime now. I don't like doing this because of the damage it can do to my insides. 

Dose anyone else get headaches from withdrawing? Is there something else I can take? 

• Moderator Emeritus

It's a bit of a shock to the system, isn't it?  I remember that - the utter disbelief that I'd ended up in this situation:wacko:.  Right now, you're finding out what's what, but things will start to settle down.  You'll read through some info, start to formulate a plan, and as you follow that plan, over time, symptoms will start to lessen.  You won't always be in this intense place.

Headaches are very common w/d symptoms.  First thing to check is are you drinking enough water?  Magnesium can be relaxing, or even epsom salts in a hot bath.  Do you take a gentle walk each day?  That can ease out tight spots too.  Oh, and gentle yoga.  Check out link I gave you about non-drug techniques - it's full of ideas. 

I'm not sure how refills work in America - hopefully a fellow American will.

8 month hold.

Yes, 

I understand Karen. 

Thank you for your help. 

Thank you for reaching out Karen. 

• Moderator Emeritus

You are welcome.  We've all been where you are now. 

8 month hold.

Karen,  

How are you reducijg your dose? 

Liquid?  

Taking beads out?

Weighing the beads?

Right now 25 is easy to take. Just one tablet.

When i reduce to 22.5 i think liquid form will be easier. 

What do you think? 

So many people get off this drug quickly. This is a mistake. I know why they want to but people just aren't told how long it really takes. 

This morning i saw two YouTube videos on someones post. One was around 4 minutes i believe and the other was around 8. A mentor sent them. I really would like to show my wife the videos. Could someone please send them to me i am not finding them. They were about what medication does to our bodies. 

• Moderator Emeritus

I reduce my dose by weighing with a micro-scale, and taking the extra beads out of the capsule.

I have no experience with liquid (though I may need to soon - it's getting a little tricky to get the doses I need).  Since you are already on immediate-release, liquid might work well for you.  Have a look at Making Liquid Doses  or Tips for Tapering Effexor for detailed instructions.

I'm glad you have an appreciation for the time it takes to taper safely.  You're gonna get there Woodhull! 

8 month hold.

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi Woodhull,

This might be the one you mean:  withdrawal-dialogues-encouragement

There are also these:  Brain Remodelling and Video:  Healing From Antidepressants - Patterns of Recovery

* NO LONGER ACTIVE on SA *

MISSION ACCOMPLISHED:  (6 year taper)      0mg Pristiq  on 13th November 2021

ADs since ~1992:  25+ years - 1 unknown, Prozac (muscle weakness), Zoloft; citalopram (pooped out) CTed (very sick for 2.5 wks a few months after); Pristiq:  50mg 2012, 100mg beg 2013 (Serotonin Toxicity)  Tapering from Oct 2015 - 13 Nov 2021   LAST DOSE 0.0025mg

Post 0 updates start here    My tapering program     My Intro (goes to tapering graph)

VIDEO:   Antidepressant Withdrawal Syndrome and its Management

• Moderator Emeritus

ADs since ~1992:  25+ years - 1 unknown, Prozac (muscle weakness), Zoloft; citalopram (pooped out) CTed (very sick for 2.5 wks a few months after); Pristiq:  50mg 2012, 100mg beg 2013 (Serotonin Toxicity)  Tapering from Oct 2015 - 13 Nov 2021   LAST DOSE 0.0025mg

Post 0 updates start here    My tapering program     My Intro (goes to tapering graph)

Thank you!

I really like this one. 

Video:  Healing From Antidepressants - Patterns of Recovery

There is one more around 8 minutes long. It is not modeled after a cartoon though. 

Found it!

This one is great as well. 

• Administrator

Woodhull, it might take some time for your system to get over the shock of withdrawal.

Since you reinstated, have your symptoms gotten better or worse? Please keep daily notes on paper about your symptoms, when you take your drugs, and their dosages. How are you sleeping?

Are you taking anything other than Effexor and Advil?

You might want to try taking magnesium instead of Advil. It can be relaxing, and it's good for you.

Also, many people do better with fish oil. See

http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/36-king-of-supplements-omega-3-fatty-acids-fish-oil/
http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/1300-magnesium-natures-calcium-channel-blocker/

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

• Moderator Emeritus

I can tapper both doses in the same day correct?

Yes.  Reducing both by the same amount will keep your dosing even.  So you'll move from 25mg twice daily, to 22.5mg twice daily.

8 month hold.

• 1 month later...

I am constantly trying to put my puzzle together because i just don't really get it. At 150 mg of Effexor xr i began feeling very off. (one year ago) Best way to describe it would be anxiety, difficulty speaking and thinking of words and a racing mind. Just not all there like i used to be. I am 26 and am normally pretty sharp. :) I tapered to zero within 2 months. The post withdrawal caught me and i was done. No drive left and felt over life. I reinstated 25 mg a month ago and feel better. 

What i am curious about is how did i feel ok when first put on 150 mg then slowly got worse. Like i always just wanted to close my eyes and meditate and be away. At 25 mg i feel like a 4 out of 10. My speaking and mind have gotten a little better. Another question i have is how long should i stay at 25 mg for? Maybe 4-6 months depending how i feel of course. Curious to hear of a few other reinstatement stories similar to mine. 

Really bizarre how it disturbed my speaking the way it did. Maybe because it hit my Central Nervous System hard? 

Love, 

Woodhull 

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi Woodhull,

Did you reinstate 50mg (2 x 25mg) or 25mg?  Please alter your drug signature so it includes dates, especially the date you stopped Effexor and the date when you reinstated.  This will make it easier for us to your history at a glance.  Please also update it whenever you make a change.  Thank you.

If it were me I would be doing a hold of at least 6 months.  It is generally better to hold longer to ensure that you have stabilised than to reduce and then find you have dropped too soon, so 6-8 months would probably be a better suggestion because you reduced so quickly from 150mg.  If things are going well at that time you could try a small reduction of maybe 2.5% or 5% to test things out.  It would be better to do it this way rather than try a 10% reduction and find out you have reduced too much and then have to updose.  If after about 4 weeks you find that it has gone well you could then try a 10% reduction (of the previous dose, not the starting dose).

Thank you. I like your website, well done. Have you heard of anyone having racing thoughts from Effexor or an Antidepressant? I can be doing on thing but cant stop thinking about another. I would call it a form of mania.  

• Moderator Emeritus

Yes racing thoughts are a WD symptom.  To find existing topics I use google.  In this instance I typed in survivingantidepressants.org racing thoughts.  racing-thoughts

• 3 months later...

It has been a very long road. 

I have tapered from 150 mg Effexor XR to to 3.5 mg. I am looking for some insight on when others have decided they are at a low enough dose to stop. 

Much appreciated everyone. 

• Moderator Emeritus

Here is the link to SA's discussion:  When to end the taper and jump to zero?

BEAUTIFUL. 

Thank you Chessie. 

I hate medicine with a ******* passion. 

• Moderator Emeritus

That's understandable but we need to get past the anger.  It is not good for our CNS and just adds stress.

• 2 months later...

Woodhull any update

Thought for the day: Lets stand up, and let’s speak out , together. G Olsen

We have until the 14th. Feb 2018. 

URGENT REQUEST Please consider submitting  for the petition on Prescribed Drug Dependence and Withdrawal currently awaiting its third consideration at the Scottish Parliament. You don't even have to be from Scotland. By clicking on the link below you can read some of the previous submissions but be warned many of them are quite harrowing.

http://www.parliament.scot/GettingInvolved/Petitions/PE01651   

Please tell them about your problems taking and withdrawing from antidepressants and/or benzos.

Send by email to petitions@parliament.scot and quote PE01651 in the subject heading. Keep to a maximum of 3 sides of A4 and you can't name for legal reasons any doctor you have consulted. Tell them if you wish to remain anonymous. We need the numbers to help convince the committee members we are not isolated cases. You have until mid February. Thank you

Recovering paxil addict

None of the published articles shed light on what ssri's ... actually do or what their hazards might be. Healy 2013. 

This is so true, with anything you get on these drugs, dependance, tapering, withdrawal symptoms, side effects, just silent. And if there is something mentioned then their is a serious disconnect between what is said and reality! 

"Every time I read of a multi-person shooting, I always presume that person had just started a SSRI or had just stopped."  Dr Mosher. Me too! 

Over two decades later, the number of antidepressant prescriptions a year is slightly more than the number of people in the Western world. Most (nine out of 10) prescriptions are for patients who faced difficulties on stopping, equating to about a tenth of the population. These patients are often advised to continue treatment because their difficulties indicate they need ongoing treatment, just as a person with diabetes needs insulin. Healy 2015

I believe the ssri era will soon stand as one of the most shameful in the history of medicine. Healy 2015

Let people help people ... in a natural, kind, non-addictive (and non-big pharma) way. J Broadley 2017

• 4 weeks later...

I did it, too, but with Lexapro. I had been taking Lexapro since June 2016 and never felt better, felt worse, actually, felt sicker and sadder and then my hair starting falling out. Enough is enough, I decided. I started by taking half the dose every night for two months. The next month, I cut those in half taking 1/4 a day for one month. The next month, I took 1/8th for one month. The next month, I took 1/8th every other day. And now I am free! My hair is growing back, my energy is increasing, my aching back and hips and legs are stronger and hurting so much less, and I just feel so much better about myself and in my bod, I wish I could fully convey that. Of course, my therapist and psychiatrist are convinced I will fail and that is so unfair, I have never felt emotionally better on antidepressants. I hope I will never try them again but I gave in to my new therapist and new shrink, I really wanted to believe that something would help me have more energy and more confidence and that the answer would be Lexapro. It wasn't. Thank you for this group and learning how to wean myself off of the Lexapro. Years ago, I was taking Effexor and tried to go off it cold turkey. OMG. I was so sick, it felt like intestinal flu from hell. So weaning myself off worked, thanks to what I learned on this group. Thank you for my life. I have my health and my life back!

• Administrator

Thanks, Keltie. Please start an Introductions topic for yourself, we'd like to hear more from you.

• 1 year later...

Hey @Woodhull, how are you these days? My story is with cymbalta, which is sort of similar to Effexor.

- 2003 to 2015: celexa, 20 mg, ~12 years

- 2015: easy switch off celexa and onto cymbalta, 30mg

(over a decade of fantastic years in here, with one anxiety/depressive episode brought on by a breakup, which I got through with therapy, tools, etc)

- 2017: Nov/December: tapered off cymbalta, 20mg --> 0, over 1.5 mo. in conjunction with my (former) psychiatrist. Zero date: 12/15/17

(I was just sort of curious to try being off meds after so many (great) years. I wondered the degree to which meds may have been affecting my sex drive/orgasm/access to deeper emotions. After going off was ok for about 3 mo... then: horrible anxiety, panic attacks (first time in 14 years and way stronger than I ever had before), agitation, suicidal depression, crushing physical sensation, anhedonia, dp/dr, emotional numbness. Horrible.)

- 2018, July 21: Tried going back on celexa, 5mg

(HORRIBLE adverse reaction, discontinued after 10 days, stopped 7/31/18, thought I would need to be hospitalized)

- 2018, Aug 3: Tried remeron, got up to 15mg for 14 days, then tapered back down to 3.5 mg/d (super sedating, couldn't think and could feel even less)

- 2018, Sept 7 - Oct: Restarted Cymbalta, ~4mg (sept 9, stopped the 3.5 mg of remeron). Went up to 13 mg Cymbalta, then right back down to 4.5mg.

(Now see it as withdrawal and am wanting to get off and heal.)