Jonathank: Withdrawal symptoms

Jonathank

Anybody have problems with impulse control coming off  anti psychotics and antidepressants and benzos. How long did it last?

• scallywag changed the title to Jonathank: Withdrawal symptoms

Welcome to the forum Jonathan!  You've found a good place for support when coming off anti-psychotics and ADs.  I think you have not received replies quicker, maybe because you were not that specific in your question and in your description of your situation.  How long were you on the drugs? Are you still tapering, are you off, how did you taper etc.   I think lots of people, if not most experience some kind of change in their thoughts, which could lead to change in actions, when on these drugs, when tapering off, and if they get withdrawal afterwards. 

200 Zoloft; 10 mg Zyprexa; 4 mg valium as of May 2021;  Valium taper: July 16: 3.5 valium; July 30: 3 mg (paused valium taper); Aug. 23: 2.5 mg
Zyprexa: July 26: 8.75 mg; Aug. 9: 7.5 mg; Aug. 30: 7.1 mg

-------
Dec 1, 2016. 10 mg zyprexa for 1.5 month. Started taper mid-Jan. 2017. Cut 1.25 mg every 2 weeks; smaller cuts 2.5 mg down. Stopped at .6 mg. May 7, 2017: zyprexa free. 
Zoloft: Dec1, 2016, 200 mg. Started taper: Jun12, 2017: 197.5 mg; Jun19,:195 mg; July 2:185mg; July 9,:180 mg; July16,: 175; July 23: 170; July 30: 165; Aug6: 160; Aug13: 155; Aug. 20: 150; Aug.27: 146 mg; Sept3: 145 mg; Sept10:143 mg; Sept17:140 mg....Nov5: 122 mg...Dec3:112.5 mg; Jan14, 2018: 95 mg...Jan28: 90 mg; Feb21:80 mg; Mar11: 75 mg; May2:70 mg; May15: 68 mg; May28: 65 mg; Jun9: 62 mg;Jun25: 60 mg:July22: 55 mg; Aug25: 45 mg. Aug28: 50 mg...Oct 28: 38 mg; Dec.4: 30 mg; Jan8,2019: 25mg; Feb6: 23.5 mg; Apr1:17.5mg; May1:1 mg; May 5: 18;  May 18:15mg; June 16:12.5mg; Sept 10:11 mg; Sept.16:10 mg; Oct. 1: 9mg; Nov. 27: 8mg; Dec.5: 7mg; Jan.1,2020, 6 mg; Feb1: 5 mg; May 1: 2.5 mg; Jn 1: 2 mg; Jy 1: 1.5 mg

Ive been on medication for over 22 years. I cold turkey off of them. Unfortunately the medical care by me sucks really bad which is why i had to cold turkey. 

It literally feels like I'm losing my mind like i have some from of schizophrenia. everything feels different every day. like it comes and goes. My decision making is really poor can this be from the drugs?

• Moderator Emeritus

Jonathank -- Welcome to Surviving Antidepressants (SA)

The symptoms you are having are almost certainly the result of sudden discontinuation of psychoactive medication. Please read:

What is withdrawal syndrome.

Some questions for you:

1. What medications were you taking when you discontinued?
  2. What was the dosages of each?
  3. On what actual or approximate date did you take your last medications?
  4. Do you still have unused medication available if needed?
  5. What are you actually experiencing that you describe as "some form of schizophrenia"?

When we have answers to those questions, we'll be better able to point you to helpful information.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.
1997-1999 Effexor; 2002-2005 Effexor XR 37.5 mg linear taper, dropping same #beads/week with bad results

Cymbalta 60 mg 2012 - 2015; 2016: 20 mg to 7 mg exact doses and dates in this post; 2017: 6.3 mg to  0.0 mg  Aug. 12; details here

scallywag's Introduction
Online spreadsheet for dose taper calculations and nz11's THE WORKS spreadsheet

I was on pretty much every single one that's out there. I'm really parinoid and my mind won't stop racing my inpulesivity won't stop it feels like I've lost track of time and dates. I jump to one topic to another. My mind won't stop racing. It literally feels I'm going crazy.  I last took gabapentin 6 to 7 weeks ago. But I've been on a variety of different medications. 

• Moderator Emeritus

Jonathan

We can't help you if we don't have accurate information. Please answer my questions (posted above) as best you can.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.
1997-1999 Effexor; 2002-2005 Effexor XR 37.5 mg linear taper, dropping same #beads/week with bad results

Cymbalta 60 mg 2012 - 2015; 2016: 20 mg to 7 mg exact doses and dates in this post; 2017: 6.3 mg to  0.0 mg  Aug. 12; details here

scallywag's Introduction

• Administrator

Hello, Jonathank.

When did you start feeling this way? What drug had you gone off of just before these symptoms started?

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

Ive had a host of symptoms. The list of my medications. 

Lithium Carbonate ER 300mg Tablets,

Clonazepam 0.5mg Tablets,

Lithium Carbonate ER 450mg Tablets, 

Risperidone 1mg Tablets,

Klonopin 0.5mg Tablets,

Vraylar 3mg Capsules,

Lorazepam 2mg Tablets,

Venlafaxine ER 75mg Capsules,

Trazodone 50mg Tablets,

Pristiq 50mg Tablets,

Hydroxyzine Hcl 25mg Tabs (White),

Fetzima 20mg Capsules,

Zolpidem 5mg Tablets,

Quetiapine 100mg Tablets,

Lamotrigine 25mg Tablets,

Oxcarbazepine 150mg Tablets,

Gabapentin 600mg Tablets.

I was on all these in the last year at different times and did not taper but went off cold turkey. At times it feels like my brain is going haywire. The other problem i have is that Ive been on medication since i was 4 years old. The other intresting thing is that they found out in the last year that majority of them i shouldn't of been on. Which i believe might be causing my stytomps. How long can everything last.

Edited by scallywag
edit list of medications, put one med per line
  • Moderator Emeritus

Y

5 hours ago, Jonathank said:

The list of my medications. 

Lithium Carbonate ER 300mg Tablets,

Clonazepam 0.5mg Tablets,

Lithium Carbonate ER 450mg Tablets, 

Risperidone 1mg Tablets,

Klonopin 0.5mg Tablets,

Vraylar 3mg Capsules,

Lorazepam 2mg Tablets,

Venlafaxine ER 75mg Capsules,

Trazodone 50mg Tablets,

Pristiq 50mg Tablets,

Hydroxyzine Hcl 25mg Tabs (White),

Fetzima 20mg Capsules,

Zolpidem 5mg Tablets,

Quetiapine 100mg Tablets,

Lamotrigine 25mg Tablets,

Oxcarbazepine 150mg Tablets,

Gabapentin 600mg Tablets.

I was on all these in the last year at different times and did not taper but went off cold turkey.

Thank you for posting the medications and associated doses you were taking in the twelve months before you stopped medications altogether.  That number of medications and switches in whatever combination over the last 12 months is unconscionable. It's absolutely predictable that you would be experiencing severe symptoms. If I were writing the laws for this situation --  psych drug abuse masquerading as treatment -- your doctors would be slowly and painfully tortured (this word used after careful deliberation) with exactly the same sequence of medications you were and the transitions all cold turkey stops.

Which of those medications were you taking immediately before you stopped? What was the dose of each medication?

To answer your question about how long: Cold turkey cessation is a strong influence on the length of the recovery period -- if you discontinue

• a single medication overnight, you risk longer recovery periods than thoses who have gradually tapered.
  • several medications all at once overnight, you are probably looking at many, many months of unpleasant/severe symptoms until you feel recovered.
Edited by scallywag

scallywag's Introduction

• Moderator Emeritus

How long before your cold turkey off gabapentin was the previous drug start/dosechange/stop? (to the best of your recollection)

scallywag's Introduction

Whats funny is I'm a poor metabolizer of CYP2D6. I shouldn't of been on any of these poisons. Lot of my Sytmpms Fluctuates this is HELL but I'm fighting it.

• Moderator Emeritus

There's nothing we know of that speeds recovery from discontinuing these medications.

scallywag's Introduction

• Moderator Emeritus

Yes.  Many people learn ways to cope:

Non-drug techniques to cope with emotional symptoms. (many techniques help with cognitive symptoms as well.)

scallywag's Introduction

From what I've seen and heard, there doesn't seem to be a symptom under the sun that withdrawal doesn't produce.

Well, maybe tumors.

Drugfree Prof

Psychologist and Psychotherapist

Prozac 20 mg for approx 3 months during 2000, withdrew, no w/d sx

Prozac 10 - 30 mg Jan. 2008 - Dec. 2014

Ritalin 30-40 mg Jan. 2008 - Mar. 2015

W/d sx from Prozac started around 3 months after cessation--crying spells, depressed mood, lethargy; resolved in 8 - 12 mos. post cessation

Used and continue to use a TON of alternative methods--meditation, mindfulness, nutrition. supplements, exercise, etc.

• 2 weeks later...

Has anybody ever had urges of hurting yourself coming off of psh drugs and picture in your head of doing it? And it's taking u a lot trying to hold your self back from not doing it?

Edited by scallywag
merged topic, "Coming of psy drugs" in Off-topic
  • Moderator Emeritus

Jonathan, You may find answers to your questions about thoughts of self-harm in these discussions:

OCD - obsessive thoughts, compulsive behaviours.

CBT (cognitive behavioral therapy) for anxiety, depression, and withdrawal symptoms.

I've moved your post/question to your introduction topic so that all your information, questions and answers are in one place.

scallywag's Introduction

• 2 months later...

So recently i relapsed and ended up back in the arms of pshtary. Where they recommend seroquel and trileptal combo. Has anyone every tried that combo and what did it exactly do to u?

what has peoples experience been in the withdrawal phase. Regarding personality changes and very reactive to stress .And constant depression and constant fear and worry.  While in the withdrawal process. 

• Moderator Emeritus

* NO LONGER ACTIVE on SA *

MISSION ACCOMPLISHED:  (6 year taper)      0mg Pristiq  on 13th November 2021

ADs since ~1992:  25+ years - 1 unknown, Prozac (muscle weakness), Zoloft; citalopram (pooped out) CTed (very sick for 2.5 wks a few months after); Pristiq:  50mg 2012, 100mg beg 2013 (Serotonin Toxicity)  Tapering from Oct 2015 - 13 Nov 2021   LAST DOSE 0.0025mg

Post 0 updates start here    My tapering program     My Intro (goes to tapering graph)

VIDEO:   Antidepressant Withdrawal Syndrome and its Management

• Moderator Emeritus
10 hours ago, Jonathank said:

So recently i relapsed and ended up back in the arms of pshtary. Where they recommend seroquel and trileptal combo. Has anyone every tried that combo and what did it exactly do to u?

Hi Joanthank,

I've merged the new topic with your Intro topic.  It is best to ask questions about your own situation in your Intro because it keeps your history in one place.

I understand that you have been on a large variety of drugs and that you have listed those in a post above.  It would be helpful if you would add this link to your signature so that we can click on it to take us to that post.  Just copy and paste this into your signature:  Drug history link  Thank you.

With regard to your question above, we do not make drug recommendations.  This is a site for withdrawing off psychiatric drugs.

From your drug history it would seem that you experienced withdrawal symptoms from whichever drug/s you went off first but this was not recognised and you ended up being prescribed another drug/s to try and "fix" the withdrawal of the previous drug/s and so it continued.  You may need to come to the realisation that the solution is not in another drug or combination of drugs.  It is important to find and use non drug ways of handling the discomfort and learning and using techniques like cognitive behaviour therapy and mindfulness to help cope with every day life stresses.  

There are other sites on the internet that may be more useful if you wish to continue taking drugs:  PatientsLikeMe.com or depressionforums.org

ADs since ~1992:  25+ years - 1 unknown, Prozac (muscle weakness), Zoloft; citalopram (pooped out) CTed (very sick for 2.5 wks a few months after); Pristiq:  50mg 2012, 100mg beg 2013 (Serotonin Toxicity)  Tapering from Oct 2015 - 13 Nov 2021   LAST DOSE 0.0025mg

Post 0 updates start here    My tapering program     My Intro (goes to tapering graph)

The hospital that I was recently admitted at  recommended me them but I refused them.i was just curious what combo they offered me could do to me that's all.  I'm against psychiatry since all the drugs I was on and off obviously didn't help me. This site was a huge answer to prayers. 

• Moderator Emeritus

There are 2 supplements that SA recommend.  They aren't suggested for speeding up recovery, but for helping with the symptoms.  If you wish to try them, try 1 at a low dose first and then build up to a larger dose before trying the 2nd one.

I have found magnesium helps to take the edge off my anxiety.  There have been several times when I have not taken any for a few days and the anxiety increased.  Once I started taking it again the anxiety lessened.

Magnesium

Omega-3 Fish Oil

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi Jonathank, 

It is impossible for any of us here to determine how long it will take for you to recover, no one can possibly know.  You might want to check out the Success Stories written by members who have recovered to give you a general idea.  

http://survivingantidepressants.org/forum/28-success-stories-recovery-from-withdrawal/

Current Prescription Drugs for Hypothyroidism:  Synthroid 100mcg / Cytomel 5mcg (15 years Pristiq/Effexor)

Tapering Schedule
September 15, 2016 - switched from Pristiq 50mg to Effexor XR 75mg; November 10, 2016 - reduced to 67.5 Effexor XR
December 9, 2016 - reduced 60.75
January 5, 2017 - reduced 54.67
January 30, 2017 - reduced to 49.0
February 20, 2017 - reduced to 44.0 
May 20, 2017 - reduced to 40.25 (holding for additional month due to late onset of withdrawal symptoms after this taper)
July 17, 2017 - reduced to 38.24
August 15, 2017 - reduced to 37.5 (50% of my original dose)

October 15, 2017 - reduced to 35.6

November 12, 2017 - reduced to 33.8
December 15, 2017 - up-dose to 35.6
December 28, 2017 - up-dose to 37.5

• Moderator Emeritus

I'm pleased that you refused them and that you recognise that the drugs haven't helped.

Unfortunately your question about how long your recovery will take is an unanswerable question.  The sooner you can accept that the easier your recovery can be.  Becoming fixated on trying to answer an unanswerable question will add stress to your situation and stress slows healing.

This is a reply that I made to another member recently.  I hope it helps you.

"Continually asking a question which has no answer is like trying to find the end of a rainbow.  IT DOES NOT EXIST.  It adds stress.  Repeatedly dwelling on symptoms adds stress.  IT DOES NOT HELP.  It adds stress."

It's can also help to learn acceptance.  Here is a topic:  Acceptance

• 1 month later...
  • Moderator Emeritus

There are many existing topics on the SA site so it is worthwhile doing either a site search or a google search using adding survivingantidepressants.org to the search query.

Sensitivity to light, sound etc

Brain Fog: Blank mind, comprehension, cognitive and memory problems

Dr Joseph Glenmullen's WD Symptoms Checklist