SurvivingAntidepressants.org is temporarily closed to new registrations until 1 April ×

Lugol's Iodine as an antimicrobial for candida and GI issues?

Seriouslyscared

In trying to have an affect on an ever worsening digestive health, I recently tried Lugol's Iodine 7% solution with one drop in a glass of water, drinking about 20% of the glass on each of two consecutive days. Since one drop is close to 9mg of a combination of Iodine and Potasium Iodide, I estimate that I consumed a little over 2mg on each of those days. On the day prior to ingesting, I put a whole drop of undiluted solution on my skin to see if there was any reaction. I realise now that this was all a profound mistake!

Please read SeriouslyScared's post from July 20 below:

40 minutes ago, Seriouslyscared said:

Just to post a warning about using Lugol's Iodine.

... The iodine activists then advocate taking more Lugol's iodine to 'fire up your immune system', as others have reported getting really ill after trying this, and yet feeling better after trying a higher dose. 

I wouldn't dare now, so have only done damage. Never mind that this can effect your thyroid. The moral of the story is take extreme caution with this if you suspect a high toxic load, and especially if you also have candida overgrowth.

I suspect that I either have bacterial overgrowth of the wrong kind in the gut and/or candida overgrowth. I now see that so much of my worsening physical health this year is down to my deteriorating digestive health. My diet is super clean and ultra restricted as it is, and so after trying some herbal antimicrobials like Oregano Oil and grapefruit seed extract along with a load of vitamin and mineral supplements, I stupidly tried this. As the doctors once again dismiss even the possibility of candida ('it's just a modern myth, it doesn't exist'), I've been doing this all myself and have now made a big mistake. I seem to be having a quite severe detox/die off reaction, after probably having had a lower one for some time due to whatever's been going wrong in the bowels. The nausea is unbearable at times. I'm malnourished as it is, I don't know how this will effect me. I subsequently read on a different website's iodine forum that the iodine solution can paint the gastrointestinal tract and lead to a severe die off.

After having been so ultra cautious with trying anything new for a long time now, it's inexplicable that I took this risk! My question is does anyone else have any experience of having taken Luogol's iodine to try to kill pathogenic organisms in the GI tract, or for any other reason for that matter? Would anyone have any suggestions as to what to do now; more/different supplements and the like or just riding out the detox as best as possible? I did also try a Himalayan salt flush in desperation after this mistake, and that only seemed to make me more ill. It didn't even seem to occur to me that the iodine itself could have effects on the Thyroid and everything linked to that. It just shows how poor my judgment still is.

Edited by scallywag
add quote of later post with additional warning

Dec 98; Paroxetine 20mg, quickly increased to 40mg for mild situational teenage depression which I didn't even go for.

Spring 99; Paroxetine reduced back to 20mg over four weeks after mild depression passes.

Autumn 99; Paroxetine reduced down to 14mg, slowly, as initial 10mg reduction was far too much.

Start of 2000; Paroxetine increased back up to 40mg after a 'relapse' and the most severe depression imaginable. No life.

Late 2012 to early 2013, Paroxetine reduced from a bit above 40mg (perhaps close to 50mg) back down to 40mg.

October 2015; tapered off Paroxetine by 5ml/10mg every 2 weeks after finally had enough of years of constant instability. I never did 'get better' as the doctors said to wait for. Never had remotely normal adult life, cared for full time at family home.

Start of August 2016; tried reinstituting Paroxetine at 1mg for 4 days, disaster; shopping list of physical symptoms develop.

Also taken Proton Pump Inhibitors on and off since early 2003, continuously since 2013 for severe upper GI issues

Took Cyclizine 50mg up to 3x daily since 2013 for crippling nausea from severe GI issues, stopped at start of August 2016.

Propranolol 10mg on occasion since May 2016 for extreme stress/racing heart, stopped at start of September 2016

Omega 3, Magnesium, Zinc, stopped Vitamins B complex, C, D3, multivitamin, probiotic, garlic, digestive enzymes

• scallywag changed the title to Anyone taken Lugol's Iodine as an antimicrobial for GI issues?
  • Moderator Emeritus

SS - we have a topic in iodine, though most of the posts relate to iodine and thyroid issues. Iodine, anyone?

You might also find relevant discussions in:

Candida Albicans overgrowth / yeast infections.

candida or withdrawal?.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.
1997-1999 Effexor; 2002-2005 Effexor XR 37.5 mg linear taper, dropping same #beads/week with bad results

Cymbalta 60 mg 2012 - 2015; 2016: 20 mg to 7 mg exact doses and dates in this post; 2017: 6.3 mg to  0.0 mg  Aug. 12; details here

scallywag's Introduction
Online spreadsheet for dose taper calculations and nz11's THE WORKS spreadsheet

• scallywag changed the title to Lugol's Iodine as an antimicrobial for candida and GI issues?

Hi SS,

I have responded to your PM, and have found a Naturopath in your area (hopefully), see link below.  I note you're in the UK.....

http://www.thehealingtouchtherapy.co.uk/CustomerService.asp?ContentId=8

Fortunately there is a thread all about Candida overgrowth which I started a few weeks ago suspecting I had an overgrowth.

TC,

JC x

Dose History: 19 Feb 2014 - Escitalopram 10mg daily June 2015 - Started taper, 5mg every other day July 2015 - 5mg every 2 days August 2015 - 5mg every 3 days September 2015 - 5mg every 4 days Sept 14th - Completed tapering, but at 7 weeks "drug free" I suffered serious WD symptoms as a consequence of "incorrect" tapering. Nov 25 2015 - Re-instated Cipralex @ 2.5mg daily. WD symptoms faded. Held at this dose and experienced "windows and waves". 12 Oct 2017 Reduced dose to 1.25mg. 13 Mar 2018 Reduced dose to 0.625mg (approx.). 16 April 2018 0mg. Windows and waves triggered by stress (IBS/reflux, headaches, sinus issues) Aug 2019 Mirena coil fitted 6 Jan 2020 MAJOR Wave hit 19 months following last dose (protracted WD).  Symptoms listed below Mar 2020 Mirena coil removal.

Therapy: Nov 15th 2016 Re-started therapy Jan 19th 2017 Started CBT Dec 2017 Started listening to Hypnotherapy CD (self-esteem). Nov 2019 Started couples therapy.

Supplements: "Bioglan" Biotic Balance Ultimate Flora 10 billion CFU, live Bacteria, Probiotic, suitable for Vegetarians, with Lactobacillus Acidophilus, Lactobacillus Rhamnosus, Bifidobacterium Longum"Pukka" Vitalise a unique blend of 30 energising botanicals.

Diet: 16 April 2018 Detox cleanse / anti-candida for 90 days. Jan 2020 Started "small plate" diet (i.e child size portions).

Exercise: Stretching, Yoga, Pilates, Spinning, Elliptical/upper body workout, walking.

Medical Test Results: 4 Jan 2017 Homeopathic Treatment starts 24 Feb 2017 Started weight loss program 24 Mar 2017 Naturopathic Treatment + anti-Candida diet started due to suspected Candida Related Complex (CRC). DETOXED for 7 weeks to "re-set" gut. April 2017 "Genova Diagnostics" Comprehensive Stool Analysis NEGATIVE; Full Blood Count (Normal) / Blood Cholesterol: 5.6 (Borderline) / Blood Sugar (Normal) / 28 Jun 2017 FSH 8.2 / 14 Nov 2017 FSH 17.7 Dec 2017 Blood Cholesterol: 3.9 (Normal) / Kidney Function (Normal) / Blood Sugar (Normal). December 2017 "Genova Diagnostics" Food panel allergy (bloodwork) analysis - a few "VERY LOW/VL" allergens; Mar 2018 "Genova Diagnostics" SIBO urine analysis: High Level of Yeast/fungal markers found in small intestine but NO SIBO.  April 2018 Thyroid (Normal) / Full Blood Count (Normal) / FSH (Normal). 16 April 2018 Started anti-Candida diet - 3 month protocol.   25 March 2020 All test results "Normal". CRP" 5 mg/L (normal range to 0-5 mg/L).

Symptoms:  Flu-like symptoms, anxiety, anhedonia, sinus headaches right-side (severe), IBS issues/reflux (severe)**, tinnitus, fatigue, inner tremor, nausea, chills/hot flushes, pounding heart, muscular issues including stiff left hip flexor, intense anger, PSSD (ongoing).  **Histhamine intolerance (suspected).

Major Life Events: 

Re-located to UK from Canada: Jan 2016

My father died: 5:05pm, Monday 5 Feb 2018 Last Lexapro dose: 16 April 2018 (its now been over a year since I quit ADs)  Moved house: Friday 23rd February 2018  "Divorced" toxic Mother: Monday 26 March 2018 Starting working again: 19 November 2018  Diagnosed with: 5th August 2021 PTSD/C-PTSD Diagnosed with: March 2022 Interstitial Cystitis (IC)/Painful bladder syndrome

• 1 month later...

Just to post a warning about using Lugol's Iodine.

This liquid solution was used before antibiotics were invented. Most people are apparently deficient in iodine. However if you've got a weakened constitution and/or high toxic load, this can be risky!

I now know that it can apparently force toxins out of cells in your body, not just lead to candida die off. When you combine these two scenarios with weakened/exhausted detoxification pathways, you can just release the toxins out of their storage in your body and then not be able to get rid of them. They then just circulate around, weakening you further and/or ramping up the inflammation, as I believe they have with me. The iodine activists then advocate taking more Lugol's iodine to 'fire up your immune system', as others have reported getting really ill after trying this, and yet feeling better after trying a higher dose. 

I wouldn't dare now, so have only done damage. Never mind that this can effect your thyroid. The moral of the story is take extreme caution with this if you suspect a high toxic load, and especially if you also have candida overgrowth.

Edited by scallywag
insert paragraph breaks for readability; add emphasis to key warning

Dec 98; Paroxetine 20mg, quickly increased to 40mg for mild situational teenage depression which I didn't even go for.

Spring 99; Paroxetine reduced back to 20mg over four weeks after mild depression passes.

Autumn 99; Paroxetine reduced down to 14mg, slowly, as initial 10mg reduction was far too much.

Start of 2000; Paroxetine increased back up to 40mg after a 'relapse' and the most severe depression imaginable. No life.

Late 2012 to early 2013, Paroxetine reduced from a bit above 40mg (perhaps close to 50mg) back down to 40mg.

October 2015; tapered off Paroxetine by 5ml/10mg every 2 weeks after finally had enough of years of constant instability. I never did 'get better' as the doctors said to wait for. Never had remotely normal adult life, cared for full time at family home.

Start of August 2016; tried reinstituting Paroxetine at 1mg for 4 days, disaster; shopping list of physical symptoms develop.

Also taken Proton Pump Inhibitors on and off since early 2003, continuously since 2013 for severe upper GI issues

Took Cyclizine 50mg up to 3x daily since 2013 for crippling nausea from severe GI issues, stopped at start of August 2016.

Propranolol 10mg on occasion since May 2016 for extreme stress/racing heart, stopped at start of September 2016

Omega 3, Magnesium, Zinc, stopped Vitamins B complex, C, D3, multivitamin, probiotic, garlic, digestive enzymes

• Moderator Emeritus
On 6/15/2017 at 0:54 AM, Seriouslyscared said:

In trying to have an affect on an ever worsening digestive health, I recently tried Lugol's Iodine 7% solution with one drop in a glass of water, drinking about 20% of the glass on each of two consecutive days. Since one drop is close to 9mg of a combination of Iodine and Potasium Iodide, I estimate that I consumed a little over 2mg on each of those days. On the day prior to ingesting, I put a whole drop of undiluted solution on my skin to see if there was any reaction. I realise now that this was all a profound mistake!

Please read SeriouslyScared's post from July 20 below:

I suspect that I either have bacterial overgrowth of the wrong kind in the gut and/or candida overgrowth. I now see that so much of my worsening physical health this year is down to my deteriorating digestive health. My diet is super clean and ultra restricted as it is, and so after trying some herbal antimicrobials like Oregano Oil and grapefruit seed extract along with a load of vitamin and mineral supplements, I stupidly tried this. As the doctors once again dismiss even the possibility of candida ('it's just a modern myth, it doesn't exist'), I've been doing this all myself and have now made a big mistake. I seem to be having a quite severe detox/die off reaction, after probably having had a lower one for some time due to whatever's been going wrong in the bowels. The nausea is unbearable at times. I'm malnourished as it is, I don't know how this will effect me. I subsequently read on a different website's iodine forum that the iodine solution can paint the gastrointestinal tract and lead to a severe die off.

After having been so ultra cautious with trying anything new for a long time now, it's inexplicable that I took this risk! My question is does anyone else have any experience of having taken Luogol's iodine to try to kill pathogenic organisms in the GI tract, or for any other reason for that matter? Would anyone have any suggestions as to what to do now; more/different supplements and the like or just riding out the detox as best as possible? I did also try a Himalayan salt flush in desperation after this mistake, and that only seemed to make me more ill. It didn't even seem to occur to me that the iodine itself could have effects on the Thyroid and everything linked to that. It just shows how poor my judgment still is.

Hi Seriouslyscared,

My GP "suggested" iodine after thyroid labwork (showing improving thyroid function really.....since the last labwork) was done on me.  I told him I'd research it.  Interesting though......as that was the type that they carry in his office, I was just there today. 

I wonder if anyone has had success with it for improving thyroid function.  I generally do much less of anything I might try now.......as far as what the recommended amounts are...........just like you did.  I had no idea that stuff was being used for every thing else under the sun.  Sure hope your gut improves quickly........be real cautious with the "snake oil" salesmen from here on in.  Junglechicken is doing good with a naturopaths guidance.

So anyway......I have no experience with it either way.......for thyroid or gut issues.  Just interesting to find your post.  I am still holding off on any iodine......for now.........doing pretty well with energy overall and no real hypothyroid symptoms........knock on wood!  I was concerned/worried about candida early on in my withdrawal period......I think after I came off Lexapro........not sure though.  I think I'm okay now........some 3 years out........hope so.

Thanks for the link to the iodine posts scally.

Hugs Ss. 

manymoretodays

Late 2023- gone to emeritus status, inactive, don't @ me, I can check who I've posted on, and I'm not really here like I used to be......thanks.

Started with psycho meds/psychiatric care circa 1988.  In retrospect, and on contemplation, situational overwhelm.

Rounding up to 30 years of medications(30 medication trials, poly-pharmacy maximum was 3 at one time).

5/28/2015-off Adderal salts 2.5mg. (I had been on that since hospital 10/2014)

12/2015---just holding, holding, holding, with trileptal/oxcarb at 75 mg. 1/2 tab at hs.  My last psycho med ever!  Tapered @ 10% every 4 weeks, sometimes 2 weeks to

2016 Dec 16 medication free!!

Longer signature post here, with current supplements.

Herb and alcohol free since 5/15/2016.  And.....I quit smoking 11/2021. Lapsed.  Redo of quit smoking 9/28/2022.  Can you say Hallelujah?(took me long enough)💜

None of my posts are intended as medical advice.  Please discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical provider.  My success story:  Blue skies ahead, clear sailing

Important Information

Terms of Use Privacy Policy