Pitti: Tapering off Cymbalta

Pitti

Hello,

I'm new to this site (although I've read a lot of your content by now), and I'm so grateful I found it!! 

I've been suffering from anxiety disorder and depression since I was a kid, around 8 years old (I'm 30 years old now). I've been in countless treatments since then, too many to remember. I've been taking Cymbalta for about 8 years now, I've tried going off cold turkey and obviously failed miserably and had to be put back on Cymbalta 60mg. Currently I am taking 30mg. My doctor said I should try alternating days to try to taper off, and since reading your content I realized this was the wrong approach. So I bought the Gemini 20 digital scale and the gelatin capsules, and I'm ready to start today with my 1st 10% reduction. I know I'm affected by withdrawal symptoms because when ever I forget taking mi pill I start getting brain saps, confusion, fatigue, etc. So I'm hoping this approach will help me taper off without any harsh side effects. 

I'm also taking Itravil, this is Clobenzorex, 30mg once a day. Basically I was prescribed and started taking this because of the fatigue I was experiencing, which now I believe could have been a result of the reduction in dosage of Cymbalta... So I don't know exactly what effects this medication will have in my withdrawal. 

Hoping for the best! 

Taking Cymbalta 30mg. 

• Moderator Emeritus

Pitti -- Welcome to Surviving Antidepressants (SA)

I'm so glad you found the site and posted an introduction.  It looks as if you've read our topic about reducing by 10%.  Remember that's a suggested maximum not a requirement -- you can always reduce by a smaller percentage. :)

Did the person who suggested you take (or prescribe ????) Clobenzorex tell you that it is a stimulant drug of the phenethylamine and amphetamine chemical classes, essentially "speed"?  You will need to taper this carefully. We don't have much information about this class of drugs. Please do some research on how others have successfully tapered off stimulants.

For quick reference and review

Before you begin tapering -- what you need to know.

Why taper by 10% of my dosage?.

To give you the most relevant information, please let us know:

1. whether you're taking name-brand Cymbalta or a generic duloxetine
  2. the year you started taking Cymbalta -- 2009?
  3. when was (were) your cold turkey attempt(s) -- month and year, or just the year if you can't remember the month
  4. how you reduced your dose from 60 to 30 mg -- in one step, multiple steps (if so, what were they as best as you can recall)
  5. approximately when -- the approximate date -- you started taking 30 mg

Then please edit your signature to include that information. When you decrease dose, please update your signature by adding the date of the decrease and the new dose. Link: Account Settings – Create or Edit a signature.

As you've no doubt figured out, there are beads in the Cymbalta capsule that simplify dose reduction -- no weighing or making a liquid or fiddling with powder and crumbly tablets.

Tips for tapering off Cymbalta (duloxetine)

You mention you've ordered/purchased a scale. If you'd rather do it that way, here's our discussion about weighing:

Using a digital scale to measure doses.

Counting beads can be a tedious process. Once you've figured out a way that works for you it becomes just another thing to do, similar to doing laundry and other weekly tasks.
Counting beads in a capsule versus weighing.

This is YOUR introduction topic -- the place for you to ask questions, record symptoms, share your progress, and connect with other members of the SA community.

I hope you'll find the information in the SA forums helpful for your situation. I'm sorry that you are in the position that you need the information, but am glad that you found us.

Edited by scallywag

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.
1997-1999 Effexor; 2002-2005 Effexor XR 37.5 mg linear taper, dropping same #beads/week with bad results

Cymbalta 60 mg 2012 - 2015; 2016: 20 mg to 7 mg exact doses and dates in this post; 2017: 6.3 mg to  0.0 mg  Aug. 12; details here

scallywag's Introduction
Online spreadsheet for dose taper calculations and nz11's THE WORKS spreadsheet

• Administrator

Welcome, Pitti.

When do you take each of your drugs? What are their dosages? How long have you been taking Itravil? How often do you take it?

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.