DexterWhite

Communicating with family

DexterWhite

I'm in the midst of a debilitating drug withdrawal syndrome from gabapentin and benzos.

I'm still early on my journey even though it's been years. I am still taking both medications. 

im trying to explain to my uncle who is financially supporting me what is going on but he doesn't seem to buy that this is real and how debilitating it can be. My ultimate goal is to get off these two poisons but I need help from a medical professional to communicate to my uncle that this is real otherwise I may be forced to fight through this harder. 

I live in NH, USA. 

Thanks,

Dexter

scallywag

Two books intended for people without medical training:

Peter Breggin, M.D.: Your Drugs May be Your Problem. Link to our topic about this book.

Joseph Glenmullen, M.D.: The Anti-Depressant Solution.

DexterWhite

Thanks Scallywag, those books may be a first option but I feel like if I could get in contact with a benzo wise doctor and even under the care of one that would be more convincing to him. You know, a conversation.

I took a look at the list of doctors but how many of these doctors will actually communicate without being seen or insurance?

scallywag

I can't answer your question because as someone living where there is socialized medicine, I don't have to worry about costs and insurance.  I hope others have useful feedback for you.

DexterWhite

I really could use advice. I'm completely disabled so I can't work let alone function. My uncle has been generously paying my rent in a quiet location but he's growing tired. He doesn't understand the concept of slowly tapering or holding in my case. He wants things done fast. I'm running out of money and will not have enough to pay bills or groceries soon.

How do I convince him that this withdrawal syndrome is real??

mammaP

I don't have the answer for you Dexter, doctors that understand are very few unfortunately. Here in the UK people who present to their doctor with withdrawal symptoms are very often diagnosed with fibromyalgia.  That is an illness that a lot of people understand. There is also the condition you were diagnosed with when you were given the drugs. That can also be debilitating. We are all trying to unpatient ourselves but convincing others that we are suffering from side effects or withdrawal is like trying to convince them that the sky is purple and the sea is pink!  My family all think I suffer with bi polar, and that I am doing well because I moved away to a different area. I could move only because I had tapered the drugs and was no longer having the side effects!   Can you get any disbility, because of xyz? 

JenJen

Do you have or can you afford a therapist?  Some of them understand withdrawal and you could have a family meeting with your uncle.  I wish I had more advice but I am new to this and it is so hard.  

Stormstrong

Just wanted to say that you're not alone in this, Dexter. I'm in the same predicament

DrugfreeProf

About a year ago, I had a local holistic nutritionist who seems to understand WD VERY well, and who worked with my daughter (briefly, as my daughter wasn't willing to continue seeing ANY practitioner), come to my home to talk to the rest of my family (my kids and my partner) about Lexi's condition and why she was presenting the way she was. At that time, Lexi was agitated, having psychotic-like symptoms, and needed to be watched at all times (she is much better now, but still has lethargy and anhedonia and is more or less housebound at the moment).  This practitioner--her first name is Ruth--seemed to really get it and used supplements to help people wean off and recover from WD. Please note that I am NOT recommending her supplement approach at all, as I know that in general most supplements have not been proven to be helpful in WD and could make things worse. BUT she really "got" WD and was able to explain to me and the family, in biological / psychological terms, what Lexi was going through.  She was very positive and reassuring, even though at the time Lexi's WD symptoms were quite severe. So if anyone is interested in the name of this practitioner,  whom I'm pretty sure would be glad to work with people remotely (e.g., by phone or skype), please PM me.