Duffer   
Duffer

HI,

My wife was on antidepressants starting with prozac for 20 years. As time went on she had side effects that were treated as independent issues, so was given meds for each such as antipsychotics, headache meds, ambien for sleep, pain meds, muscle relaxers, etc.. and finally benzos for a few years.

Eventually she read a book written by someone who said a vagal nerve implant helped. She had the implant for a few years, going in to have it adjusted regularly, and never helped, so had it removed. Unfortunately the wire around her vagal nerve could not be removed so it still there.

Finally we were told the ECT actually worked for everyone but was only as a last resort due to the nature of the process. So she had 13 ECT treatments. What a nightmare. They were not a cure.

Lastly she found the book Your Drug May Be Your Problem and decided to stop ALL meds cold turkey, except noted that benzos should be tapered. So 7.5 years ago she stopped all other drugs and started a nightmare 18 month taper off benzoes. It was probably a nightmare due to cold turkey off all the other meds, but we did not know or understand.

Shortly she will have been off benzos for 6 years and therefore 7.5 years off all other meds.

She is still  what we describe as acute in her suffering. 

I was on benzo buddies for a few years and we also communicated with an internationally known therapist who was in England, came to USA for a while so we had her visit us and help us, but recently she went back to UK. She has published books, has website, etc and everyone probably knows who it is,

Anyway, of everything I ever read, the symptoms reported by Alto Strata were the closest I ever noted to what suffering my wife is experiencing.

Above is the background. 

My wife believes she will never heal so I am trying to find any information that I can give her that people that have been protracted withdrawal for 7.5 years off all other drugs, and 6 years off the benzos, do actually heal. We cannot find any success stories by people going this long. There is a Monica who has videos and blogs who went on about this long , but that is all we can find of long term withdrawal.

Does anyone have any helpful information?

Thank you,

Dufffer

scallywag   
scallywag

Duffer -- Welcome to Surviving Antidepressants (SA)

I'm sorry to learn of your wife's experience.  It's might have been better if Dr. Breggin put full-page bold-face warnings at random intervals throughout his books, "Do not stop taking your medication all at once. Taper gradually to avoid symptoms." Your wife wouldn't have needed Breggin's books and such warnings had her doctor(s) and pharmacist(s) DONE their job -- informing their patient not treating her as if she were an inanimate object to tweak and fix, or be prudent and cautious in prescribing.

We have a success stories forum, link, where people post their recovery stories.  I can't give you any specific topics for the recovery time frame your wife has experienced (or any other timeline, for that matter).

I hope you'll find the information in the SA forums helpful for your situation. I'm sorry that you are in the position that you need the information, but am glad that you found us.

Duffer   
Duffer

HI,

Thanks. Maybe someone else can comment on whether this will end for my wife and is not permanent.

Yours,

Duffer

Duffer   
Duffer

Hi,

I am trying to locate any post from Monica Cassini or any other way that I can message her and ask if she is going to post a success story as many have been following her progress and need to hear some success.

Thank you

Duffer