SurvivingAntidepressants.org is temporarily closed to new registrations until 1 April ×

23 hours ago, Littlegrandma said:

Yes. You can do this! You have the tools and great support here. I think you'll find the anxiety will be much less as you taper. The depression will pass. You will be golden!! Stay positive. You will have your life back.     Lg

LG, how are you today?  Has your anxiety been ok?  Mine wasn't too bad this morning but boy its ramping now.  I hope you  had a half decent day.  I've been trying to keep busy, hard to ignore the depression, it is seeming to come back.  What do you do?

• Replies 417
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Quest

• Littlegrandma

• baroquep

• ChessieCat

Top Posters In This Topic

7 hours ago, Quest said:

Thank you for giving me some direction.  I took 13 of biggest balls and will start saving extra  beads in a seperate container.  I have been throwing them out, probably not so great for environment.  I will post my symptoms on Friday evening.  😳This emoji about sums up my wonderful demeanor right now!    So very thankful for your time and helpfulness.  I am sending you health and wellness wishes as well. Hope your day is a good one~

Baroquep, I have been getting progressively worse since 2:30 this afternoon, 8/10 anxiety nausea, depression, after just two balls out....for two days... Should I see how tonite goes?  I am so incredibly weak right now.....do you have  any idea what i should do for tomorrow?  

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi Quest, sorry to hear that the anxiety is ramping up again.  I would stay the course at least until Friday and see how things progress over the next couple of days. If I remember correctly, it was suggested that you start on a very small dose, 0.5-1mg.  Please know that I am not trying to reprimand you, I'd just like to point out that 13 beads may still be far too much Effexor, especially considering your anxiety has started ramping up since your morning dose.  Are you still taking the full dose of Zoplicone at the time Shep has suggested?  I understand that you have been moving it slowly per Shep's instructions.   Please post your daily symptom pattern every day to Friday, so we can see what direction you are heading in.  My thinking is that the anxiety might start to settle down when you are closer to five beads but you'll want to make sure that you reduce back down very carefully.  Remember that these drugs are very strong, even in small doses, particularly when you are already feeling the full force of withdrawal symptoms.  

I'm not sure whether I posted on your thread about acceptance or not ... I know what you are going through right now is very difficult, there is no question about it, I completely understand how you are feeling when it comes to the anxiety and the depression, I was there not long ago.  It seemed like I dragged the depression around with me like an anchor, some mornings I'd wake up and ask myself if this was ever going to end.  Literally pushing myself to put one foot in front of the other so I could drag myself to work and plop down at my desk and hope that no one noticed I was actually going completely insane.  But once I finally accepted that there was absolutely nothing I could do to change what was happening except let my body do the healing that was necessary, that's when the tide finally seemed to shift.  It was difficult living through the depression, the anxiety, the derealization, nausea, thoughts that I was losing my mind ... at one point, all I could do was just sit there and exist as I couldn't bear to be around people, even my granddaughter who brings me so much joy, as I was so filled with fear and uncertainty.  So I guess we really only have two options when it comes to withdrawal, we can fight it tooth and nail and drive ourselves insane obsessing over it or we can let go of the fighting and give into it and look for ways of calming and comforting ourselves, even if it means just sitting quietly and refusing to entertain anymore thoughts of withdrawal or when is this going to end?  When the thoughts come in your head, let them go, tell them you aren't paying attention anymore, take a bath, find something to distract yourself so you aren't always focused on the depression or anxiety or lack of sleep (I know how hard it is, but you have to try).  Fight the thoughts but embrace acceptance, it will make things so much easier on you.  

Acceptance

Acceptance and Mindfulness

"Change the channel" -- dealing with cognitive symptoms

Guided Meditations, Calming Videos, Sleep Hypnosis

Journalling - Therapeutic Writing & Health Benefits                

I don't know if you've seen this link below or not but after I read this, it helped me to understand what my body and mind had to deal with and it allowed me to have a lot more compassion for myself as well as help me to learn that I have to incorporate patience, acceptance and blind faith that the moderators on this site knew what they were talking about and that things would eventually get better and they did.  I wouldn't be where I am today without them and the information I found on this site.  Hang in there.  

What is Happening in Your Brain

Edited by baroquep

Current Prescription Drugs for Hypothyroidism:  Synthroid 100mcg / Cytomel 5mcg (15 years Pristiq/Effexor)

Tapering Schedule
September 15, 2016 - switched from Pristiq 50mg to Effexor XR 75mg; November 10, 2016 - reduced to 67.5 Effexor XR
December 9, 2016 - reduced 60.75
January 5, 2017 - reduced 54.67
January 30, 2017 - reduced to 49.0
February 20, 2017 - reduced to 44.0 
May 20, 2017 - reduced to 40.25 (holding for additional month due to late onset of withdrawal symptoms after this taper)
July 17, 2017 - reduced to 38.24
August 15, 2017 - reduced to 37.5 (50% of my original dose)

October 15, 2017 - reduced to 35.6

November 12, 2017 - reduced to 33.8
December 15, 2017 - up-dose to 35.6
December 28, 2017 - up-dose to 37.5

Quest I think you'll get better and better. Hang tough. It's been 4 weeks since I reduced and the trembling is gone. I think you, like I did, updosed  too high. 

Today is the best day I've had in 4 mo. Very little anxiety and depression. Almost none!! Yesterday the depression was bad. 

Im working thru it. I still have some killer headaches, but they don't last all day anymore. Still foggy, but I was the whole 2 years on lexapro. Can't wait til that lets up. 

I'm rooting for you. Hang on. You're doing the right things. Continue getting outside. And eat healthy food when you can. 

Easy to say, but try not to fear it anymore. You will get better. We all want that for you..........hugs, lg

Lex  4.3mg,  3/2/18  Ativan ,5 mg,  lunesta 2 mg , toprol  25 mg                                                            

Oct 16-28 2018 C/O to 19 mg V from 1.5 mg Ativan, 1.3 mg lunesta 

jan 22 2019- 11 mg V

jan 23 - pneumonia, 2 AB’s. 

Hold taper

july 5- 10.72 V

July 6- 11 mg V- ugly bad

july 11- 10.72 mg V, 4.3 lex, 

25 mg toprol

42 minutes ago, baroquep said:

Hi Quest, sorry to hear that the anxiety is ramping up again.  I would stay the course at least until Friday and see how things progress over the next couple of days. If I remember correctly, it was suggested that you start on a very small dose, 0.5-1mg.  Please know that I am not trying to reprimand you, I'd just like to point out that 13 beads may still be far too much Effexor, especially considering your anxiety has started ramping up since your morning dose.  Are you still taking the full dose of Zoplicone at the time Shep has suggested?  I understand that you have been moving it slowly per Shep's instructions.   Please post your daily symptom pattern every day to Friday, so we can see what direction you are heading in.  My thinking is that the anxiety might start to settle down when you are closer to five beads but you'll want to make sure that you reduce back down very carefully.  Remember that these drugs are very strong, even in small doses, particularly when you are already feeling the full force of withdrawal symptoms.  

I'm not sure whether I posted on your thread about acceptance or not ... I know what you are going through right now is very difficult, there is no question about it, I completely understand how you are feeling when it comes to the anxiety and the depression, I was there not long ago.  It seemed like I dragged the depression around with me like an anchor, some mornings I'd wake up and ask myself if this was ever going to end.  Literally pushing myself to put one foot in front of the other so I could drag myself to work and plop down at my desk and hope that no one noticed I was actually going completely insane.  But once I finally accepted that there was absolutely nothing I could do to change what was happening except let my body do the healing that was necessary, that's when the tide finally seemed to shift.  It was difficult living through the depression, the anxiety, the derealization, nausea, thoughts that I was losing my mind ... at one point, all I could do was just sit there and exist as I couldn't bear to be around people, even my granddaughter who brings me so much joy, as I was so filled with fear and uncertainty.  So I guess we really only have two options when it comes to withdrawal, we can fight it tooth and nail and drive ourselves insane obsessing over it or we can let go of the fighting and give into it and look for ways of calming and comforting ourselves, even if it means just sitting quietly and refusing to entertain anymore thoughts of withdrawal or when is this going to end?  When the thoughts come in your head, let them go, tell them you aren't paying attention anymore, take a bath, find something to distract yourself so you aren't always focused on the depression or anxiety or lack of sleep (I know how hard it is, but you have to try).  Fight the thoughts but embrace acceptance, it will make things so much easier on you.  

Acceptance

I don't know if you've seen this link below or not but after I read this, it helped me to understand what my body and mind had to deal with and it allowed me to have a lot more compassion for myself as well as help me to learn that I have to incorporate patience, acceptance and blind faith that the moderators on this site knew what they were talking about and that things would eventually get better and they did.  I wouldn't be where I am today without them and the information I found on this site.  Hang in there.  

Yes, I am still taking the 3.75 mgs of zoplicone, I will move it to 9:30 tonite.  I think this tablet gives me bad anxiety too.  I am trying very hard to fight the thoughts and I surely wish now that I had only started with the smaller dose.  I want to be strong enough to do this..... I will post each days symptoms.  Thank you for your reply and help.

24 minutes ago, Littlegrandma said:

Quest I think you'll get better and better. Hang tough. It's been 4 weeks since I reduced and the trembling is gone. I think you, like I did, updosed  too high. 

Today is the best day I've had in 4 mo. Very little anxiety and depression. Almost none!! Yesterday the depression was bad. 

Im working thru it. I still have some killer headaches, but they don't last all day anymore. Still foggy, but I was the whole 2 years on lexapro. Can't wait til that lets up. 

I'm rooting for you. Hang on. You're doing the right things. Continue getting outside. And eat healthy food when you can. 

Easy to say, but try not to fear it anymore. You will get better. We all want that for you..........hugs, lg

I'm glad you're doing much better🎈thank you for talking with me~ 

How are you doing today?

jan 22 2019- 11 mg V

Hold taper

july 5- 10.72 V

25 mg toprol

7 hours ago, Littlegrandma said:

How are you doing today?

I'm ok, much better afternoon than yesterday.  Did you have another good day today?  Hope so.... one of my yucky things to do in a day is count those 13 wee balls for a dose every morning.  I'm to take the bigger ones but my goodness, they are all different sizes, I swear I get a change on dose everyday!  Fall is really starting to set in here, I sure hope the snow doesn't start too soon, makes for a really long winter.  Our spring isn't usually until April~. I went today to and made appt. with a dr. For bioidentical hormones , I go on Wednesday.  Maybe it will help this anxiety and depression.  Hopefully these few balls will kick in, can not imagine having to go all the way off again and then nothing.  I hope you have a good evening and sleep.  I take my z at 9:30 now.  Sometimes I can fall asleep by 11 ish  for 1 or 2 tops.  Then I lay and breathe... such fun!  

That is a good sign that you had a better day today!! Has the trembling stopped? I know it seems to be the depression that's been more of an issue lately. I hope you get a decent sleep tonight. 

My day wasn't as good as yesterday, unfortunately. I would love to string a few good ones together. I had my grandkids today and the 4 year old, going on 14, was a hand full. Out of control. Ended up with a migraine and ramped up the nausea and anxiety. I usually can take the pressure in stride but not so much in this w/d. Sure sick of it!!

we have been in a drought with record heat. 99 a few days ago. Today cooled down 20 degrees and it was great. I love fall but sure not looking forward to winter. I've always had the winter blues. And I feel I got cheated out of summer.

What is treatment with biodentical hormones? I'll have to look into it. I see a new psych doc tomorrow. Not really sure why, but my therapist thinks she can help with the taper. I definitely will not take any more meds and you know that's what psych's do. Probably will be a waste of time and money but I'll hear her out. 

You never got you meds compounded? Did you even figure out what dose you're taking? I am sick of all these pills. And I'm always scared I'm going to take the wrong one. The generic names are so similar. I check and recheck. 

You sound better today. I hope you get a good sleep and have an even better tomorrow. Keep me posted 

lg

jan 22 2019- 11 mg V

Hold taper

july 5- 10.72 V

25 mg toprol

On 2017-09-27 at 7:03 PM, baroquep said:

Acceptance

Baroquep, I am going to post symptoms tonite.  I made an appt for wed with Dr. To talk about bioidentical hormones, have you heard anything about this helping depression and anxiety?  Or would it make it worse.  I read the above posts and am attempting to hang in there... 

• Moderator Emeritus

Googling survivingantidepressants.org hormones will bring up some SA topics.

* NO LONGER ACTIVE on SA *

MISSION ACCOMPLISHED:  (6 year taper)      0mg Pristiq  on 13th November 2021

ADs since ~1992:  25+ years - 1 unknown, Prozac (muscle weakness), Zoloft; citalopram (pooped out) CTed (very sick for 2.5 wks a few months after); Pristiq:  50mg 2012, 100mg beg 2013 (Serotonin Toxicity)  Tapering from Oct 2015 - 13 Nov 2021   LAST DOSE 0.0025mg

Post 0 updates start here    My tapering program     My Intro (goes to tapering graph)

VIDEO:   Antidepressant Withdrawal Syndrome and its Management

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi Quest, Yes, please post your symptoms for the last couple of days when you get a chance ... am really hoping that you are starting to feel a little better.  Sorry but I have absolutely no idea about bioidentical hormones as I've never taken them. Personally, I would be hesitant to add anything else to the mix until you stabilize as if you won't know what is causing what symptoms if you have a reaction when you start them.  I would say that once you stabilize, the anxiety will get more manageable, and from my experience, the depression starts to lift as well.  

Current Prescription Drugs for Hypothyroidism:  Synthroid 100mcg / Cytomel 5mcg (15 years Pristiq/Effexor)

Tapering Schedule
September 15, 2016 - switched from Pristiq 50mg to Effexor XR 75mg; November 10, 2016 - reduced to 67.5 Effexor XR
May 20, 2017 - reduced to 40.25 (holding for additional month due to late onset of withdrawal symptoms after this taper)

20 hours ago, Littlegrandma said:

That is a good sign that you had a better day today!! Has the trembling stopped? I know it seems to be the depression that's been more of an issue lately. I hope you get a decent sleep tonight. 

My day wasn't as good as yesterday, unfortunately. I would love to string a few good ones together. I had my grandkids today and the 4 year old, going on 14, was a hand full. Out of control. Ended up with a migraine and ramped up the nausea and anxiety. I usually can take the pressure in stride but not so much in this w/d. Sure sick of it!!

we have been in a drought with record heat. 99 a few days ago. Today cooled down 20 degrees and it was great. I love fall but sure not looking forward to winter. I've always had the winter blues. And I feel I got cheated out of summer.

What is treatment with biodentical hormones? I'll have to look into it. I see a new psych doc tomorrow. Not really sure why, but my therapist thinks she can help with the taper. I definitely will not take any more meds and you know that's what psych's do. Probably will be a waste of time and money but I'll hear her out. 

You never got you meds compounded? Did you even figure out what dose you're taking? I am sick of all these pills. And I'm always scared I'm going to take the wrong one. The generic names are so similar. I check and recheck. 

You sound better today. I hope you get a good sleep and have an even better tomorrow. Keep me posted 

lg

How did your appointment go today?

15 minutes ago, Quest said:

How did your appointment go today?

jan 22 2019- 11 mg V

Hold taper

july 5- 10.72 V

25 mg toprol

It was a joke. I don't think she liked me very much. 

She said, of course, that I'm not in w/d, that it's my illness. I said I had mild anxiety, not depression, vomiting, migraines, tremors, body aches, etc. 

she also said that I was apathetic on lexapro  because my dose wasn't high enough. It should have been double. Well, I had no apathy before lex. I had a clean house, perfect lawn and flower beds, well taken care of grandkids and a social life. i can't imagine what double dose would have been like. 

How's it going? Are you staying on 13 beads? Any improvement today?  I'm waiting for you to post your symptoms tonight. I hope you felt a bit better today. I think the lower you get, the better you will feel!  🤞🏻                   Lg

jan 22 2019- 11 mg V

Hold taper

july 5- 10.72 V

25 mg toprol

9 minutes ago, Littlegrandma said:

It was a joke. I don't think she liked me very much. 

She said, of course, that I'm not in w/d, that it's my illness. I said I had mild anxiety, not depression, vomiting, migraines, tremors, body aches, etc. 

she also said that I was apathetic on lexapro  because my dose wasn't high enough. It should have been double. Well, I had no apathy before lex. I had a clean house, perfect lawn and flower beds, well taken care of grandkids and a social life. i can't imagine what double dose would have been like. 

How's it going? Are you staying on 13 beads? Any improvement today?  I'm waiting for you to post your symptoms tonight. I hope you felt a bit better today. I think the lower you get, the better you will feel!  🤞🏻                   Lg

So I take it she's not helping you to wean?  Not a great day.  I will post symptoms but I am sure it will be to reduce....  I wish you could get a closer everyday dose, these balls just do not allow it.  I too had a good world.  How was your anxiety and depression today... you sound good~

2 minutes ago, Quest said:

So I take it she's not helping you to wean?  Not a great day.  I will post symptoms but I am sure it will be to reduce....  I wish you could get a closer everyday dose, these balls just do not allow it.  I too had a good world.  How was your anxiety and depression today... you sound good~

jan 22 2019- 11 mg V

Hold taper

july 5- 10.72 V

25 mg toprol

She did say come down 10% every month or whatever my body told me. She's pretty sure I'll need another drug. I told her I would never. 

What happened to the compounder? I wouldn't like counting the balls either. I have a tough enough time keeping my 4 drugs straight. 

Hasn't been a great day. Started the morning with bad anxiety but that's abated a bit. The migraine and nausea are bad today. And I have sore glands. You ever have that in w/d? 

Still rooting for you.........lg

jan 22 2019- 11 mg V

Hold taper

july 5- 10.72 V

25 mg toprol

21 minutes ago, Littlegrandma said:

She did say come down 10% every month or whatever my body told me. She's pretty sure I'll need another drug. I told her I would never. 

What happened to the compounder? I wouldn't like counting the balls either. I have a tough enough time keeping my 4 drugs straight. 

Hasn't been a great day. Started the morning with bad anxiety but that's abated a bit. The migraine and nausea are bad today. And I have sore glands. You ever have that in w/d? 

Still rooting for you.........lg

Baroquep said to keep counting until I have a dose.  I guess there is not much sense compounding if I have to go down in it.  I feel every little thing though so if I have to come down within the next week or two I will be starkers!  I'm sorry you're feeling crap again.  Don't think I've the gland thing, chest feels heavy though, and really weak.  Had the headache since early this morning.  I'm sending you healing too my wee lg.  Have a better night~

3 hours ago, baroquep said:

Hi Quest, Yes, please post your symptoms for the last couple of days when you get a chance ... am really hoping that you are starting to feel a little better.  Sorry but I have absolutely no idea about bioidentical hormones as I've never taken them. Personally, I would be hesitant to add anything else to the mix until you stabilize as if you won't know what is causing what symptoms if you have a reaction when you start them.  I would say that once you stabilize, the anxiety will get more manageable, and from my experience, the depression starts to lift as well.  

09-26-2016

Am

1:00 -awake, anxiety5/10

1:30 - anxiety is worse 

2:00 - constant ruminating thoughts

6:30 - severe anxiety  

7:00 - 8/10 anxiety burning back of head

7:30 - weak and nauseated, eating bananna

8:00 - 500mgs of garlic, 1300 mgs of salmon oil

8:30 - shaky, anxious

9:30 - drank a veg, blueberry smoothie

10:00 - 13 balls of effexor xr

11:30 - serious brain fog

Pm:

12:00 - apple

12:30 - anxiety is about 7/10. Can't stop or distract from thinking

2:00 - ate some leftover beef pot pie and rice

2:30 - have to go and get groceries, fuzzy head, anxiety, restless

4:00 - ate an energy bar

4:30 - anxiety 5/10

5:00 -very tired, eyes blurry

5:30 -ate some roast beef some potatoes,coleslaw

7:30 - went for a 1/2 walk

8:00 - going to sit with hubby, anxiety is ok, fuzzy brain, took 100 mgs of magnesium, probiotic

8:30- sweet potato chips about 4 with hummus, piece of cheese

9:00 - bedtime

9:30-journal,passage of bible

10:00 - taking 3.75 immovane one hr. earlier per shep' s suggestion

11:30 - awake, anxiety 6/10

09-27-17

Am

12:30 - still awake, tossing breathing

1:00 -sleep mask still on, anxiety 7/10

2:00-5:30. Constant anxiety, stayed warm and still, breathed and tried to doze.

6:00- up, anxiety is about a 4/10 at this point

6:30 - banann

9:30- anxiety 5/10

10:00 - 13 balls of effexor, ate some roast beef coleslaw small potato

11:00 - tried tapping  to get mind off 

Pm:

12:00 - apple, some canteloupe

1:00 -went out, did some gardening

1:30 - anxiety is ramping up, 6/10

2:30 - oatmeal, blueberries

3:00 - 7/10 anxiety, depression on the outskirts of mind

3:30 - trying to sit and be still, breathing.  Very weak neck, blood feels like its on fire, especially in shoulders.  Very weak and tired.

4:00 - bad anxiety, really weak, nauseous, shaky

5:30 -super weak, nausea, anxiety 8/10, 

6:00 - spaghetti small plate,hard to eat with stomach

6:30-  did parrots, pro biotic and 200 mgs of magnesium, maybe it will help the anxiety~

7:00 - going to try and go for a walk, anxiety 8/10

8:00 - very tired, anxiety 5/10, left eye twitch

9:30 - 3.75 mgs of immovane

10:30 - still awake

09-28/17

Am:

12:30-woke up from a doze

2:00 - tossing/ turning

3:00 - bthrm. Water,  breathing

4:00 - laying here trying to stay warm, anxiety5/10

5:00 - totally wakeful, ruminating thoughts

6:00 - trying to read

8:00 - fed dogs, banana

8:30 - 500 mgs of garlic, 1300 mgs of salmon oil

9:30 - smoothie

10:30 - 13 balls of effexor,  recounted balls mega, totally anxious 8/10

11:30 - ate some chicken stirfry

Pm:

12:00 - anxiety 5/10, trying to distract

12:30 - hot shower

1:30 - anxiety4/10

2:30 - went to town, gas, groceries

3:00- naturopath appt.  wants me to start rhodiola tomorrow for adrenals

4:00 - anxiety stable, fuzz head but not a deep depression

5:00 -chicken, some sauerkraut (unpasteurized) I even ate an oatmeal cookie!

6:00 - parrots,dogs

7:30 - spurts of anxiety, better than yesterday evening, 

8:00 - very tired, going to sit downstairs

9:00 - bedtime, read my passage, goodnight to son

9:30 - 3.75 mgs of immovane, still ok😳

11:00 - last time I seen, must have fallen asleep after this

09-29/17

Am:

1:00 -awake, bad headache, totally drenched, night sweats

2:00 -toss and turn, trying to watch thoughts anxiety4/10 

4:00 - up and down through night, bathroom, water

4:30 - anxiety heightens 5/10

5:00 - tired, but awake

5:30 - laying here

6:00 - ate half banana 

7:00 - reading, trying to distract

8:00 - anxiety6/10 still have headache, not as bad as when i awoke, sore calf muscles, nausea

8:30 - smoothie, 500 mgs of garlic, 1300 mgs of salmon oil

9:00 - went downtown

11:30 - ate some leftover chicken, honeydew melon

Pm:

12:30 - anxiety 7/10, mind wont stop 

1:30 - going outside

3:00 - anxiety 6/10,  my mind will not stop, racing

3:30-went for another walk

4:30 - anxiety7/10, complete brain fog, weak legs, depression on outskirts of mind

Made myself eat some coleslaw, piece of ham, left side of my chest started twitching

5:00 -trying to eat hamburger and a bit of pasta

5:30 -nausea, anxiety 7/10

6:00 - supper cleanup, parrots

7:30 - anxiety 6/10, depression

8:00 

here is symptom chart, please if you get a chance let me know what to do for tomorrow.  If I'm to come down do I do it a bead at a day?  Is the longer I'm on this the harder it will be to come off?  I don't understand how I would know to stop.  The depression and anxiety is so variable.  And wouldn't weight matter?

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi Quest, Really think that things are starting to settle for you a bit, while your anxiety is still high, I think you are heading in the right direction.  I would remove another another two balls bringing you to 11 balls of Effexor and see if your anxiety starts to wane.  Personally, I found that Rhodiola amped me up when I took it (even before I started tapering) and don't recommend any additional supplements until you have stabilized.  Each time we add something hoping that it will help, in my experience, it just adds one more substance for the central nervous system to adjust around and if it were me, I'd ingest only what I absolutely needed to take.  So in your case, it's the Effexor and Zoplicone.  If you feel you are lacking in any particular vitamin, try and get it from food rather than a supplement.  Right now your brain is fighting hard to find homeostasis and it appears that your Effexor dose is still a bit too high and what we are trying to do is remove the excess as gently as possible to help the CNS find a bit more calm.  When I destabilized earlier this year, I discontinued every supplement that I was taking with the exception of Omega 3 and magnesium and of course the beast Effexor.  Even had to stop drinking coffee as I would start to sweat and tremble five minutes after taking a few sips.  So what I learned from all of this was that any changes I made had to be done slowly and cautiously so I didn't further upset my CNS.  When it came to the thoughts which increases my anxiety and depression, all I could do was either ignore them, talk back to them and just hang in there until I started to feel some relief.  It was a long time coming, but it did happen.  Now I view my central nervous system as a very fragile entity and try and do everything I can to help it remain calm which to me means keeping it simple, slow and stable.    

Keep it Simple, Slow and Stable

Tapering Schedule

24 minutes ago, baroquep said:

Hi Quest, Really think that things are starting to settle for you a bit, while your anxiety is still high, I think you are heading in the right direction.  I would remove another another two balls bringing you to 11 balls of Effexor and see if your anxiety starts to wane.  Personally, I found that Rhodiola amped me up when I took it (even before I started tapering) and don't recommend any additional supplements until you have stabilized.  Each time we add something hoping that it will help, in my experience, it just adds one more substance for the central nervous system to adjust around and if it were me, I'd ingest only what I absolutely needed to take.  So in your case, it's the Effexor and Zoplicone.  If you feel you are lacking in any particular vitamin, try and get it from food rather than a supplement.  Right now your brain is fighting hard to find homeostasis and it appears that your Effexor dose is still a bit too high and what we are trying to do is remove the excess as gently as possible to help the CNS find a bit more calm.  When I destabilized earlier this year, I discontinued every supplement that I was taking with the exception of Omega 3 and magnesium and of course the beast Effexor.  Even had to stop drinking coffee as I would start to sweat and tremble five minutes after taking a few sips.  So what I learned from all of this was that any changes I made had to be done slowly and cautiously so I didn't further upset my CNS.  When it came to the thoughts which increases my anxiety and depression, all I could do was either ignore them, talk back to them and just hang in there until I started to feel some relief.  It was a long time coming, but it did happen.  Now I view my central nervous system as a very fragile entity and try and do everything I can to help it remain calm which to me means keeping it simple, slow and stable.    

Keep it Simple, Slow and Stable

Baroquep, I had high anxiety before even reinstating effexor.  I took another 200 mgs of magnesium this morning at 3:45 trying  to calm the anxiety so I could rest.  I dont think it really worked.  I wont start the roseola.   I was trying to do natural for calming.  I am having a really hard time hanging in there.  I am a walking bundle of jello.  By reducing more and more is going to make my depression even worse?  Do I just reduce 2 balls everyday now.  Is it such a thing that I reinstate the remeron?  I was on it for a month but it was horrendous to withdraw from especially at the last 3,75 dose for 5 days.  I am so incredibly lost right now.  Is it even possible to stabalize on effexor at this point?  Would melatonin help me to sleep at night if i took part of a 1 mg?  

• Moderator Emeritus

I know the urge to change something so things will get better can be very strong ... been there, done that, and it didn't work.  You have to remember that you made a lot of changes, CTs, different drugs, up and down with doses, back and forth ... your CNS is a mess, that is why your anxiety is so out of control  Your brain is asking itself what the hell is going on, it hasn't been given a chance to just sit still and while I understand the logic, there is no magic pill available on this planet that will make things instantly better.  My fear is that if you discontinue Effexor again, you are never going to get well.  What I'm trying to see is if you continue to reduce Effexor very very slowly by two balls at a time, will the anxiety start to settle.  I know it is hard to be patient, but you at least need to try and see if this might work.  It can take months to stabilize ... I know it sucks but there really is no other alternative.  You are where you are and we have to try and resolve it by working with what we know at this stage.  If reducing the Effexor by two balls every 4-7 days doesn't start to resolve the problems you are having with the anxiety, then we will have to look at that down the road, but for now, let's at least give this a shot.  Wish we could press a button called "please function properly today" but the CNS has it's own agenda.  Your focus for the next few weeks is to continue to reduce two balls of Effexor every 4-7 days and see if this helps to calm things down.  Please continue to post your daily symptoms so that we can have a look to see how you are progressing. 

Tapering Schedule

• Moderator Emeritus

Please don't try and reinstate Remeron.  If you feel in your heart of hearts, that you have not seen any progression no matter how small, and you don't want to continue the Effexor, you could do what Alto suggested and discontinue the Effexor permanently.  Personally, if it were my brain, and knowing what I know about Effexor, I would reduce only one bead a week and maybe even wait two weeks to see how my CNS reacted.  From what I know about Effexor, it is a nasty drug to withdrawal from and I just wouldn't be willing to chance reducing one or more beads every day.  During my last two decreases, my withdrawal symptoms didn't show up for almost a month so I am extremely cautious before I make a change.  If I have any doubts whatsoever that I'm not stable, both physically and emotionally, I will hold for another month just to be safe.  Whichever route you decide to take, and the decision is entirely up to you, my best advice would be to take it as slowly as possible so that you are basically sneaking the drug out of your system.  

Tapering Schedule

2 hours ago, baroquep said:

I know the urge to change something so things will get better can be very strong ... been there, done that, and it didn't work.  You have to remember that you made a lot of changes, CTs, different drugs, up and down with doses, back and forth ... your CNS is a mess, that is why your anxiety is so out of control  Your brain is asking itself what the hell is going on, it hasn't been given a chance to just sit still and while I understand the logic, there is no magic pill available on this planet that will make things instantly better.  My fear is that if you discontinue Effexor again, you are never going to get well.  What I'm trying to see is if you continue to reduce Effexor very very slowly by two balls at a time, will the anxiety start to settle.  I know it is hard to be patient, but you at least need to try and see if this might work.  It can take months to stabilize ... I know it sucks but there really is no other alternative.  You are where you are and we have to try and resolve it by working with what we know at this stage.  If reducing the Effexor by two balls every 4-7 days doesn't start to resolve the problems you are having with the anxiety, then we will have to look at that down the road, but for now, let's at least give this a shot.  Wish we could press a button called "please function properly today" but the CNS has it's own agenda.  Your focus for the next few weeks is to continue to reduce two balls of Effexor every 4-7 days and see if this helps to calm things down.  Please continue to post your daily symptoms so that we can have a look to see how you are progressing. 

How can I possibly get even close to the same dose?  These 11 balls are different everyday, sometimes there are 2 or 3 big ones and then the rest are all medium sized.  There is only one large ball in today's capsule.  How can i do this at this amount so its close?  I can not make a liquid and only have access to these balls.  

1 hour ago, baroquep said:

Please don't try and reinstate Remeron.  If you feel in your heart of hearts, that you have not seen any progression no matter how small, and you don't want to continue the Effexor, you could do what Alto suggested and discontinue the Effexor permanently.  Personally, if it were my brain, and knowing what I know about Effexor, I would reduce only one bead a week and maybe even wait two weeks to see how my CNS reacted.  From what I know about Effexor, it is a nasty drug to withdrawal from and I just wouldn't be willing to chance reducing one or more beads every day.  During my last two decreases, my withdrawal symptoms didn't show up for almost a month so I am extremely cautious before I make a change.  If I have any doubts whatsoever that I'm not stable, both physically and emotionally, I will hold for another month just to be safe.  Whichever route you decide to take, and the decision is entirely up to you, my best advice would be to take it as slowly as possible so that you are basically sneaking the drug out of your system.  

I am already not stable.  How would I even know to stop?  I do appreciate all of your help, I have even considered going back to 37.5 and starting over.  I truly do not know what to do.  Can not even decide on how to get to 11 balls, I know the doses ha e been different e very day, how do I minimize this?  Any ideas?

1 hour ago, baroquep said:

I know that  it is the effexor , I think sometimes it is working....  I also know about the wd, thst is why I have been so paranoid about the different dose size everyday.  I have even considered going to pristique.  I want to live and get better, just dont know what is best way to do it~

2 hours ago, Quest said:

I know that  it is the effexor , I think sometimes it is working....  I also know about the wd, thst is why I have been so paranoid about the different dose size everyday.  I have even considered going to pristique.  I want to live and get better, just dont know what is best way to do it~

Baroquep, how do you reduce your effexor xr?  Do you have it compounded?  Do you have any idea how I can make my doses more similar each day?  Would it be worth it to compound each week.. 

• Moderator Emeritus

I have Effexor compounded on a monthly basis by a special compounding pharmacy.  A regular pharmacy wouldn’t be able to do this.  I’m fortunate enough that my insurance company pays for it and haven’t had to worry about the cost.  Compounding is a lot more expensive than a regular prescription.  If you are that concerned about dose variations, you could call a compounding pharmacy in your area and see what the pricing would be.  You'd want to explain that you are tapering and are currently on 11 beads and could they measure this dose accurately to prepare your prescriptions going forward.  Imagine that this would be a rather expensive proposition considering you may very well be six or more beads away from an effective and optimal dose.  If you have to get a new prescription filled every time you remove a couple of beads, you could be looking at a few hundred dollars and the reason I suggested waiting until you find a dose that you can stabilize on.  

Tapering Schedule

37 minutes ago, baroquep said:

I have Effexor compounded on a monthly basis by a special compounding pharmacy.  A regular pharmacy wouldn’t be able to do this.  I’m fortunate enough that my insurance company pays for it and haven’t had to worry about the cost.  Compounding is a lot more expensive than a regular prescription.  If you are that concerned about dose variations, you could call a compounding pharmacy in your area and see what the pricing would be.  You'd want to explain that you are tapering and are currently on 11 beads and could they measure this dose accurately to prepare your prescriptions going forward.  Imagine that this would be a rather expensive proposition considering you may very well be six or more beads away from an effective and optimal dose.  If you have to get a new prescription filled every time you remove a couple of beads, you could be looking at a few hundred dollars and the reason I suggested waiting until you find a dose that you can stabilize on.  

Thank you for getting back to me... I just do not know how else to even remotely myself come up with close to the same dose each day at this small amount.  Do you have any suggestions on how I could be more accurate?  Each capsule opened is so different in regards to size. I judge the bigger balls but sometimes there's like 4 or 5 big ones and others 2-3 and then its medium to small left.  Totally different each day, and with effexor 1 ball can make a difference.  Your time and insight is appreciated.

• Moderator Emeritus

You could open a few, or more, capsules and take out the biggest beads and put them in a container, and put the rest in another one, so all you need to do is count out how many large beads you need.

ADs since ~1992:  25+ years - 1 unknown, Prozac (muscle weakness), Zoloft; citalopram (pooped out) CTed (very sick for 2.5 wks a few months after); Pristiq:  50mg 2012, 100mg beg 2013 (Serotonin Toxicity)  Tapering from Oct 2015 - 13 Nov 2021   LAST DOSE 0.0025mg

Post 0 updates start here    My tapering program     My Intro (goes to tapering graph)

34 minutes ago, ChessieCat said:

You could open a few, or more, capsules and take out the biggest beads and put them in a container, and put the rest in another one, so all you need to do is count out how many large beads you need.

Thank you for  the suggestion ChessieCat.  I wish I would  have done this to begin with.  Do you think if i start this it will increase my dose because they would be all roughly the same  big now instead of lowering it?  I started today at 11 balls and for 26 days have been opening a new capsule everyday so I am sure the weight variance has been silly.  I spent the previous 4 days at 13 balls.  Feel like a yo-yo in my brain 🙄 Tried to weigh them today and the weight sometimes did not even show.  Even tried with the 10 mg weight in the middle....  Frustrating-

• Moderator Emeritus

As Alto has suggested tapering faster than we normally recommend don't worry too much about the size of the beads right now. It was encouraging to see that you had a small period where you felt better. Don't change anything else because it will be hard to know what is causing problems. Try not to panic, you don't have to get off completely, you can go down to a few beads and see if you can  stabilise there. It isn't just the effexor that is causing the problems, it is all the changes with all the drugs but the high dose of effexor is probably making you more agitated.  Please try to stay calm. I know this is scary for you but you need to calm yourself because being so anxious keeps the cortisol coursing through your body and it is a vicious cycle. Try the breathing exercises and visualise what you are going to do when you have got through this, and you will get through it. Make mental plans for that road trip, new decor, new job or a holiday. I built my own house in my head and had a huge garden full of flowers. It will help to keep you going. 

**I am not a medical professional, if in doubt please consult a doctor with withdrawal knowledge.

Different drugs occasionally (mostly benzos) 1976 - 1981 (no problem)

1993 - 2002 in and out of hospital. every type of drug + ECT. Staring with seroxat

2002  effexor. 

Tapered  March 2012 to March 2013, ending with 5 beads.

Withdrawal April 2013 . Reinstated 5 beads reduced to 4 beads May 2013

Restarted taper  Nov 2013  

OFF EFFEXOR Feb 2015    :D 

Tapered atenolol and omeprazole Dec 2013 - May 2014

Tapering tramadol, Feb 2015 100mg , March 2015 50mg  

July 2017 30mg.  May 15 2018 25mg

Taking fish oil, magnesium, B12, folic acid, bilberry eyebright for eye pressure. 

My story http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/4199-hello-mammap-checking-in/page-33

Lesson learned, slow down taper at lower doses. Taper no more than 10% of CURRENT dose if possible

• Moderator Emeritus

In reply to your message, you can stay at 11 beads as long as you wish, the idea is to get you down to a tolerable level to stabilise.  If I were you I think I would go down to 5 or 6 then hold for a while. It can be very, very hard to tell whether it is the drug or the lack of it that causes the problem and which is why we ask so many questions. You have been brilliant at keeping the symptoms diary, I wish everyone would! Don't worry about the size of the beads too much at this stage. It is very encouraging that you had some small windows when you were at 13 beads. You could hold at 11 for longer and see if you get some more windows before going down again if you feel more confident doing that. 

**I am not a medical professional, if in doubt please consult a doctor with withdrawal knowledge.

Different drugs occasionally (mostly benzos) 1976 - 1981 (no problem)

1993 - 2002 in and out of hospital. every type of drug + ECT. Staring with seroxat

2002  effexor. 

Tapered  March 2012 to March 2013, ending with 5 beads.

Withdrawal April 2013 . Reinstated 5 beads reduced to 4 beads May 2013

Restarted taper  Nov 2013  

OFF EFFEXOR Feb 2015    :D 

Tapered atenolol and omeprazole Dec 2013 - May 2014

Tapering tramadol, Feb 2015 100mg , March 2015 50mg  

July 2017 30mg.  May 15 2018 25mg

Taking fish oil, magnesium, B12, folic acid, bilberry eyebright for eye pressure. 

My story http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/4199-hello-mammap-checking-in/page-33

Lesson learned, slow down taper at lower doses. Taper no more than 10% of CURRENT dose if possible

7 hours ago, mammaP said:

In reply to your message, you can stay at 11 beads as long as you wish, the idea is to get you down to a tolerable level to stabilise.  If I were you I think I would go down to 5 or 6 then hold for a while. It can be very, very hard to tell whether it is the drug or the lack of it that causes the problem and which is why we ask so many questions. You have been brilliant at keeping the symptoms diary, I wish everyone would! Don't worry about the size of the beads too much at this stage. It is very encouraging that you had some small windows when you were at 13 beads. You could hold at 11 for longer and see if you get some more windows before going down again if you feel more confident doing that. 

Wouldn't the size of beads really effect the dosage at this small of an amount?  i have been on this for 27 days now, just going to 5-6 beads right away, won't it increase my depression and anxiety ten fold?  I truly don't have confidence at this point in any decisions I am making concerning this.  I am very torn.  I know what this feels like being totally off and I know I can't do that with how I'm feeling right now.  My mind is constantly ruminating, and I find it's almost OCD behaviour that I have resorted too.  It's almost a constant panic.  I even wonder if going back to a therapeutic dose of 37.5 would help at this point or bridging to a new drug.  Thank you everyone for listening to my negativity and trying to help.  I just wish I knew the best way forward.  I am so tired ~

• Moderator Emeritus
9 minutes ago, Quest said:

I even wonder if going back to a therapeutic dose of 37.5 would help

"Therapeutic dose" is a term that the pharmaceutical companies have come up with.  SA prefers to use the term "lowest effective dose".

10 minutes ago, Quest said:

bridging to a new drug

This would most probably cause new issues.  You will not know what is withdrawal from the old drug and what is start up or side effects of the new drug.  There is also the possibility that you could get a bad reaction to a new drug and there is now way you would know what was causing it.

12 minutes ago, Quest said:

Wouldn't the size of beads really effect the dosage at this small of an amount?

Opening up, eg 10, capsules and taking out the largest beads is your best option at the moment.  It is probably as accurate as weighing them.  If you fold a piece of paper lengthwise and place the beads in the fold so that they are in a row might help you to see which ones are the biggest.  The other option would be to place all the beads on a piece of material and move a small pile  to one side and take out what you think of the largest and put them aside.  Once you have gone through all the beads take the batch that you have chosen as the largest beads and put them on the material and repeat the process.  Doing it this way should help by comparing the larger beads instead of having the medium and small beads confusing you.

Once you stabilise on a dose you could then get them compounded.