SurvivingAntidepressants.org is temporarily closed to new registrations until 1 April ×

No thirst anymore

Maybe

Hello all,

I have always been drinking enough water throughout my life, but the past 2 or 3 months, I have to coerce myself to drink at least one liter per day. That is maybe half of what I used to drink. Is it normal to lose one's feeling of thirst during withdrawl? Especially so far out?

I slowly think that so many systems have been damaged, I can't even imagine, yet. My anxiety is on the rise again.

End of 2008: Remeron 15mg for around 2 months. Unorthodox taper, no problems.
End of August 2009: Lexapro 10mg for only 4 days. Panic attack after 3 pills. Severe gastro problems in the morning for 3 days after last pill. 2 weeks later strong w/d symptoms set in.

Acute WD lasted around 3.5 years. I am feeling much better today, 5.5 years out, but still have some symptoms left.

Hello my friend,

that is strange,because I have the opposite.I always had to force myself to drink-actually I could have gone with nothing to drink during the day.Since withdrawal I have raging thirst....So I really don t know if this is coincidence.But in fact also my taste and things I prefer to eat have changed as well.

solida

Sept.2007 Citalopram for burn out,reverse reaction

Paroxetin 20mg,5 weeks,had to stop because of reverse reaction

after a manic episode,severe withdrawal hit after 6 weeks,

hospitalization twice,during the first 2 years withdrawal got worse and worse

disabled since

Hey Solida,

very, very weird...but well, who knows how the drugs influence the receptors in our tounges? At least that would describe your changed taste regarding foods. I just hope that all of this is somehow reversible.

What makes my anxiety increase again is that new symptoms pop up so far into wd. Only two or three and not disabling, but who knows what might come still?

End of August 2009: Lexapro 10mg for only 4 days. Panic attack after 3 pills. Severe gastro problems in the morning for 3 days after last pill. 2 weeks later strong w/d symptoms set in.

Acute WD lasted around 3.5 years. I am feeling much better today, 5.5 years out, but still have some symptoms left.

May have to do w (anti)cholinergic or other properties. Some meds cause dry mouth,thirst. So a change in med could feasibly change fluid intake

Pristiq tapered over 8 months ending Spring 2011 after 18 years of polydrugging that began w/Zoloft for fatigue/general malaise (not mood). CURRENT: 1mg Klonopin qhs (SSRI bruxism), 75mg trazodone qhs, various hormonesLitigation for 11 years for Work-related injury, settled 2004. Involuntary medical retirement in 2001 (age 39). 2012 - brain MRI showing diffuse, chronic cerebrovascular damage/demyelination possibly vasculitis/cerebritis. Dx w/autoimmune polyendocrine failure.<p>2013 - Dx w/CNS Sjogren's Lupus (FANA antibodies first appeared in 1997 but missed by doc).

I just hope it is going to resolve again.

Going to have some blood and GI tests next week. I am quite curious what is going to turn up...

Maybe,

What are you having tested? ( if that's not being too nosy)

Pristiq tapered over 8 months ending Spring 2011 after 18 years of polydrugging that began w/Zoloft for fatigue/general malaise (not mood). CURRENT: 1mg Klonopin qhs (SSRI bruxism), 75mg trazodone qhs, various hormonesLitigation for 11 years for Work-related injury, settled 2004. Involuntary medical retirement in 2001 (age 39). 2012 - brain MRI showing diffuse, chronic cerebrovascular damage/demyelination possibly vasculitis/cerebritis. Dx w/autoimmune polyendocrine failure.<p>2013 - Dx w/CNS Sjogren's Lupus (FANA antibodies first appeared in 1997 but missed by doc).

Hey Barbara,

I am going to have vitamins, minerals, trace elements and amino acids tested.

Furthermore something that has to do with the pancreas and enzymes as I want to check if my GI system has problems to absorb food. I do not know the English word for the test.

And maybe levels of testosteron, but that is more out of curiosity.

• 2 weeks later...

And as expected everything is fine...as good as it is, it is somehow unsatisfying

Hi, maybe. When I was on remeron, I remember having to drink water during the night, so much so that I'd wake up 2or 3 times just to drink. My mouth was always so dry that I could barely swallow. That has changed, i don't get that anymore at all. I think barb is on the right track. When we first go through withdrawal and go through the cortisol surges, it maybe that we drink and eat more, because that is what cortisol does. It tends to increase both of these. Since wd, I don't know how many of us would get hunger pains first thing on waking, like at 4or 5 in the morning. I hardly ever used to get hungry in the a.m., especially that early. So I'm just guessing with you that your adrenal function is tending to stabilize, meaning your brain is tending to stabilize, if your not that thirsty right now. Did they find you were dehydrated on the lab tests? If your kidney function tests came out ok, and you are no t dehydrated, then I think your right on track. Do you eat a lot of fruits and vegetables? Theres a lot of fluid in them too which could lead you to drink less water. Congratulations for being brain poison free for 28 months! Exquisite!

I started withdrawing off remeron in August of 2009, with the help of a holistic physician.The reason for the withdrawal was a year or two of off and on nausea, deterioration in my thinking, and more depression. It took me a full year to work from 135 mg down to 45mg. At that point, more drops were causing more depression. Unfortuately, the nervousness that I was also feeling for the last year continued with the 45 mg. Thirty one days ago, I stopped the remeron. I am still feeling the nervousness every day and the last week, I am feeling what I think is depression but not sure. In bed in the morning, I'm already dreading another day feeling this way. I am intensely unsure of myself and find it very hard to do anything. I was a practicing veterinarian for 29 years until I found I could not practice anymore. First of all I couldn't think, or remember, and I had absolutely no confidence in anything I did. These were things I did with relative ease for twenty+ years. So, this feeling of no confidence has been during the time I was on the AD(the last 2 years) and today. I take no other medication other than my blood pressure meds. I tried supplements with my holistic dr. but they seemed to make the intense nervousness even more intense. Anyway, I truly feel stuck.

Hello spectio,

No, nothing indicated that I am dehydrated. I often had/have a dry mouth in the morning, but it never was too bad. So it is just weird that my thirst suddenly diminshed. All medical tests I have done in the past 2 years were absolutely ok. Also those regarding my kidneys. Though in early wd (around the 6th month) I had a problem with aldosteron in one test, but that is clear again.

And yes, I eat much more fruits and vegetables than before taking the meds :)

Maybe ~

I ran across info on SIADH associated with ADs --Syndrome of Inadequate Antidiuretic Hormone and reminded me of your question here •

There may be no correlation but wanted to post as an FYI

Related to hyponatremia and cerebral pressure due to water retention and imbalance of electrolytes • possible cause of headache also

In the first six months of my w/d I hurt myself and was prescribed antibiotics. While on the antibiotics I had insatiable thirst. I once drank a case (24 bottles, 16.9 oz) water in a day. My doc was pretty alarmed but all my electrolytes were normal as was my glucose reading. Eventually the extreme thirst passed, though I still have elevated thirst and drink a lot of water. We no longer buy the bottles, that's for sure.

"Well my ship's been split to splinters and it's sinking fast
I'm drowning in the poison, got no future, got no past
But my heart is not weary, it's light and it's free
I've got nothing but affection for all those who sailed with me.

Everybody's moving, if they ain't already there
Everybody's got to move somewhere
Stick with me baby, stick with me anyhow
Things should start to get interesting right about now."

- Zimmerman

Thanks for the info Barbara!

Though my electrolytes were all fine. But still, I have had an increase in headache frequency in the past months, so maybe there is something to it. On the other hand I guess there is nothing I could do abot it...

Maybe~

If I recall correctly SIADH is not measured thru regular e-lyte levels • hyponstremia may be present but not always

I don't want to give info that is inaccurate • best to research SIADH+SSRI for better understanding • I think it has to do with vasopressin levels and ADH being altered by SSRIs

And it may just be antianticholinergic/muscarinic effects -can't pee • can't see •can't spit • can't sh*t

(What would I do without mnemonics ;)

I just researched it. I do not have any of the symptoms that were mentioned in those articles. I do not know if those things can develop that far out from taking the last pill?

I remember that my Kalium levels were quite low when I came into the ER when my wd began. But even if my electrolyte blood levels are now fine, I can still have balance problems in my cns which could lead to damage?

Maybe ~

I hope the ER docs would know how to interpret test results but …

I'm attempting to compile a list of SSRI-induced diseases /disorders /imbalances because they seem to be mysteries to most docs

A few of the most important (not necessarily most frequent)are:

~diabetes

~breast cancer

~osteoporosis

~SIADH

~Parkinsons

(All related to endocrine/immune/inflammatory response disturbance)

Well, I have been to a nephrology for 2 weeks in early 2010, but they could not find anything. All medical tests, MRIs etc were fine.

Questions for me are, can those deseases be induced by only a few pills, can they evolve in wd and do they remit/heal when one is off the pills/out of wd?

These are questions all of us are trying to find answers to ~the endocrine system is incredibly complex and one small change (taking a drug) can feasibly set off a cascade of events • a good endocrinologist or preferably psychoneuroendocrinologist would be best to answer • I think it's safe to say that all of our immune systems have been altered to some degree by the introduction of an unneeded and untested hormone •

Well, it is as it is. As we cannot do anything about it, we can just wait and hope that our systems can heal and sort out the mess. I am not going to take anymore medicine of whatever type...

• Administrator

The autonomic nervous system regulates balances of electrolytes as well as our sensations of our internal processes.

These phenomena may not represent any kind of imbalance but the way our bodies are sensing. For example, some of us have hypersensitive pain reactions similar to fibromyalgia. Or a reduced sensation of thirst may be reduced sensation rather than the internal level of water.

BUT -- you should remind yourself to hydrate regularly so as not to get dehydrated.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

Yes, I try to drink enough per day. Though itis not so easy if one has a reduced feeling of thirst.

Did anyone else get new symptons that far out?

The tricky part of SIADH is that you are not processing fluids properly and part of the treatment is to withhold fluids and not take in more as always seems to be the safe option

With SIADH which is associated with SSRIs there is a problem with antidiuretic hormone and fluids becoming too dilute so more fluids make worse

It's another endocrine malfunction

Important Information

Terms of Use Privacy Policy