Ttgreat54: switch from Pristiq to Effexor

Ttgreat54

Great Post, Thank You ! ["How I am coping with depression" by apathetic]

Very informed, you know your stuff.

I'm new to all of it, but an advid researcher, also very in tune with My body, So I knew all of this....

What I do not Know is,

Should I be going from Prestiq 100mg to Effexor as of this past Wk.

7 days 50 mg Prestiq, w/ 37.5 mg Effex.

Now, Prestiq every other day for 3 days, Then Stop .Then adding another 37.5 Effex, Not there yet, a few more days.

I Am Petrified of Effexor Now !!!

After Reading these boards.

I had a Very Tragic Event, You wouldn't believe if I told you. 

Lawyers, traveling back & forth from West coast to East Coast, for the past 20 mons, hardly home,  because of the Fight to save someone's life.

So clearly Stress off the charts, PTSD

Intensive out patient therapy....

My WD so far, Extreme OCD, Hyper as Hell, Can't eat, Haven't Slept in 22 mons, since....

Prestiq is a Nightmare HELL to get off of. I did it once, 4 yrs ago, then had to reinstate after a month. Plus I didn't it myself, Stupid, Cut them in half, Even More Stupid, which caused them to release at triple the forces, causing that extreme Anxiety, I never have suffered with Period, just as a WD symptoms. 

So Any help would be greatly appreciated. I'm SCARED Now...

I pray I haven't Already done damage by taking this Effexor in the last 8 days.

That's how powerful a drug it apparently is. This I did not know...To Messed up to look into it myself, Not my usual MO, but I'm So out of it, just Not Myself !!

I hear Myself Rambling on, instantly Grab My Mouth, to Shut it UP. I KNOW, I'm Acting Like a FREAK 

Thanx so much 4 your post

Edited by scallywag
added link to mentioned post; split post from original location

Prestiq 50 mg : 2010 - 2016

Prestig 100 mg: Oct 2016- July 2017

Prestiq 50 mg : July 2017 

Along w/ Adding in....

Effexor 37.5 July 2017 w/Prestiq

Trazodone 1-2 pills 4 sleep

Only took EFFEXOR 8 DAYS, STOPPED

TRAZODONE 4 days, STOPPED

TAPERING PRESTIQ ONLY : 50MG

BEGUN JULY 27, 2017 Still doing this to Stabalize At this Dose.

• Moderator Emeritus

Ttgreat, -- Welcome to Surviving Antidepressants (SA)

As I wrote in the topic where you originally posted (link to that topic), I've moved your reply to your own introduction topic. This is YOUR introduction topic -- the place for you to ask questions, record symptoms, share your progress, and connect with other members of the SA community.

You will need to follow this topic, i.e. select "Notify me of replies" when you post here, so that you get notified when another site member posts here.

Your symptoms are withdrawal symptoms, from the decrease and then discontinuation of Pristiq, not from the Effexor.

A couple of things:

1. Decreasing by 50% is a HUGE reduction in dose. We suggest decreases of no more than 10% to minimize withdrawal symptoms.

2. Waiting only a week after a decrease is far too short for many people. We suggest holding for at least one month after a decrease, even a small decrease (< 10%).

Please read this topic to understand more about our philosophy: Why taper by 10% of my dosage?.

We have a member who switched from Pristiq to Effexor and found that her switch from 50 mg Pristiq to 75 mg Effexor didn't feel quite right. She and a moderator both think that taking double the number of mg of Effexor that one took as Pristiq might have made her switch easier.  You can read her story at this link: baroquep: Pristiq taper help -- advice needed.

Your doctor is mis-under-educated about the effect of these medications and the risks of such a dramatic "taper" plan.  Your doctor's plan is like telling you to jump off a cliff, without safety cables or training. Decreasing by 10% (or less) is like walking a couple miles along the the road to the stairs carved into the cliff and slowly making your way down the stairs, holding on to the railings on both sides.  Either way you get to the water or the bottom of the canyon, but one way is a lot less risky than the other.

How do you feel about telling your doctor about your symptoms and asking for a prescription for an increased dose of Effexor, at least 150 mg?

When you start taking a psychoactive medication such as Pristiq or Effexor, your CNS (central nervous system) makes changes to itself -- making some neurotransmitter (e.g. serotonin) cells less sensitive and/or shutting them down.  When you decrease the dose or discontinue the drug, the CNS has to undo all the changes it made over the years that you were on the drug. It is best to taper slowly to give your CNS the time it needs to do this work. For other descriptions and explanations, check out these links:

How your brain responds to psychiatric drugs - aka "Brain remodeling"

Youtube video, 4 minutes: Healing from antidepressants

A request: Would you summarize your history in a signature -- drugs, doses, dates, and discontinuations & reinstatements, in the last 12-24 months particularly?

• Any drugs prior to 24 months ago can just be listed with start and stop years.
  • Please use actual dates or approximate dates (mid-June, Late October) rather than relative time frames (last week, 3 months ago)
  • Spell out months, e.g. "October" or "Oct."; 9/1/2016 can be interpreted as Jan. 9, 2016 or Sept. 1, 2016.
  • Please leave out symptoms and diagnoses.
  • A list is easier to understand than one or multiple paragraphs.
  • Link to Account Settings – Create or Edit a signature.

This is YOUR introduction topic -- the place for you to ask questions, record symptoms, share your progress, and connect with other members of the SA community. I hope you'll find the information in the SA forums helpful for your situation. I'm sorry that you are in the position that you need the information, but am glad that you found us.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.
1997-1999 Effexor; 2002-2005 Effexor XR 37.5 mg linear taper, dropping same #beads/week with bad results

Cymbalta 60 mg 2012 - 2015; 2016: 20 mg to 7 mg exact doses and dates in this post; 2017: 6.3 mg to  0.0 mg  Aug. 12; details here

scallywag's Introduction
Online spreadsheet for dose taper calculations and nz11's THE WORKS spreadsheet

• Moderator Emeritus

* NO LONGER ACTIVE on SA *

MISSION ACCOMPLISHED:  (6 year taper)      0mg Pristiq  on 13th November 2021

ADs since ~1992:  25+ years - 1 unknown, Prozac (muscle weakness), Zoloft; citalopram (pooped out) CTed (very sick for 2.5 wks a few months after); Pristiq:  50mg 2012, 100mg beg 2013 (Serotonin Toxicity)  Tapering from Oct 2015 - 13 Nov 2021   LAST DOSE 0.0025mg

Post 0 updates start here    My tapering program     My Intro (goes to tapering graph)

VIDEO:   Antidepressant Withdrawal Syndrome and its Management

TY, Scallywag & Chessiecat,

Im really out of it, Cant think,  i STOPPED the Effexor, now taking the Prestiq 50 mg, every other day. From 100 mg.

I think this is Way too much of a Drop.

My dr. Wants me to Stop it Next Wk & Start over Fresh, she Said,

I was Like What ?????

Ya, she very sweet & compassionate, 

But i don't think she Gets the science behind any of this. Nor gone through it herself. 

PS, i Still Want My Profile Name Changed, i sent a letter, but No response, along with new name.

I Will do the signature thing, when i can Think to figure it OUT!!

Feeling like im Buzzing everywhere,

My Symptoms are off the charts...

Thought i was having a heart attack the other night !!

Everyday its different 

Prestiq Only comes 50 mg, Lowest.

Ty both so much

Along w/ Adding in....

I Apologize, 

Ive Just Never in My Life Felt

So Much body Over-stimulation With

Brain Fog at the same time !!

Your site, signature, all seems confusing, im Usually Sharp

Along w/ Adding in....

Ty, Also Scallywag

Your symptoms are withdrawal symptoms, from the decrease and then discontinuation of Pristiq,not from the Effexor.

Ok, I Get 1/2  this Statement  ??

Are You saying,

Effexor 8 days 37.5 mg

Then STOP

Effexor, is Out of My System  ??

No Lasting Effects ???

This is ALL Prestiq ?? Im still on 50mg

I know its too Fast of a decrease, 

But w/ No lower dose than 50 mg,

What are my options....

I havent read anything yet...

My brain cant hardly concentrate enough to write this...So Shaky

TY

Along w/ Adding in....

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi Ttgreat54, Sorry to hear you are having such difficulty.  Unfortunately far too many doctors do not have experience tapering people safely off of these drugs and often try to take people off too quickly which results in horrendous withdrawal symptoms.  It is never recommended to alternate doses of these drugs, it is like playing ping pong with your brain when you go up and down in dosage.  The brain craves consistency and you should be taking the same dose every day.

Pristiq and Effexor are basically the same drug, although Pristiq is a concentrated version of Effexor, in other words Pristiq is stronger, and both drugs are difficult to withdrawal from.  I think because you switched out 50mg of Pristiq for 37.5mg of Effexor is the reason you are having such difficultly (as well as the 50% reduction of Pristiq). The doctor should have switched you out to a much higher dose of Effexor to compensate for the 50mg of Pristiq ... 50mg of Pristiq is likely equivalent to 100mg of Effexor.  My doctor switched me out at 50mg Pristiq for 75mg Effexor and it wasn't enough to compensate due to Pristiq being a lot stronger.  While switching from Pristiq to Effexor is doable, I don't think your doctor took the best approach and while I understand her/his rationale, it unfortunately didn't have positive results.  In any event, what is done is done and it is best to focus now on what you need to do to get you stabilized.

I am not a moderator and can only guide you based on my own experience, so I strongly encourage you to deal directly with a moderator to get you back on track.    From your posts, it's not clear how long you have been at 50mg Pristiq so the moderators will need to know this.  Often reinstating a small amount of the original drug is enough to get back on track but without clear dates and when you started and stopped Effexor it will be difficult for them to put a plan in place.  Please put together a post listing dates started/stopped, dosage, drug names, etc. so that a moderator will know what they are dealing with.

There are a few people on this site who are tapering directly from Pristiq by having it compounded (ChessieCat is one of them) and seem to do okay.  If I had to do it all over again, I would have probably had Pristiq compounded by a pharmacist (with a time release mechanism added) rather than switch to Effexor as switching between drugs adds yet another layer of difficulty in an already difficult situation.  

Wishing you all the best and hoping that you find things settle down for you soon. 

Current Prescription Drugs for Hypothyroidism:  Synthroid 100mcg / Cytomel 5mcg (15 years Pristiq/Effexor)

Tapering Schedule
September 15, 2016 - switched from Pristiq 50mg to Effexor XR 75mg; November 10, 2016 - reduced to 67.5 Effexor XR
December 9, 2016 - reduced 60.75
January 5, 2017 - reduced 54.67
January 30, 2017 - reduced to 49.0
February 20, 2017 - reduced to 44.0 
May 20, 2017 - reduced to 40.25 (holding for additional month due to late onset of withdrawal symptoms after this taper)
July 17, 2017 - reduced to 38.24
August 15, 2017 - reduced to 37.5 (50% of my original dose)

October 15, 2017 - reduced to 35.6

November 12, 2017 - reduced to 33.8
December 15, 2017 - up-dose to 35.6
December 28, 2017 - up-dose to 37.5

• Moderator Emeritus

Ttgreat54 -- If you've switched back to Pristiq at 50 mg, please take it EVERY day at approximately the same time each day. Skipping days is a guaranteed recipe to further destabilize you, worsening current symptoms and creating new ones.

Are you willing to be patient as your CNS (central nervous system) deals with the medication changes and then eventually settles down? You will have symptoms for a while as your CNS adjusts, then they will diminish over time.  You need to be patient -- this means not looking to the prescription bottle to fix your symptoms. The only thing that is likely "fix" your symptoms is stable dosing + time.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.
1997-1999 Effexor; 2002-2005 Effexor XR 37.5 mg linear taper, dropping same #beads/week with bad results

Cymbalta 60 mg 2012 - 2015; 2016: 20 mg to 7 mg exact doses and dates in this post; 2017: 6.3 mg to  0.0 mg  Aug. 12; details here

scallywag's Introduction

Thank you so much 4 your reply

Scallywag & baroquep,

Ok Scallywag, 

That makes Sense. 

I will take the 50 mg Prestiq EVERY Day,

to destabilize. Even tho its a long Drop from 100mg.

How long, do you foresee this taking, Approximately???

Also Scallywag, 

What would be my Next Step !!!????

Do i add something else, or stop ?

I don't see how i COULD STOP,

With 50mg being the lowest Prestiq goes ??

I trust you more than my dr. That's pretty Sad.

But experience is the Best experience in judging Lifes Trials

Along w/ Adding in....

Sorry, i Meant, 

To Stabilize  !!

TY both

Along w/ Adding in....

Taper - PRESTIQ 

(7 yrs. @ 50 mg) to

100 mg past (8 Mons)

Due to Tragic Events

Back to....

50mg Prestiq this past 2 weeks.

Dr. Advised - Taper 50 mg PRESTIQ 

Every other day, 

For 3 Doses...

Then Every 3rd Day😲

Then STOP

WHAT ???!!!

I Cant, Its Impossible,  My CNS OFF THE CHARTS.

Wrote Dr. An Email, Stating 

Im taking 50 mg Everyday Now,

To Desperately TRY & Stabalize !!

Ive Now Asked 4 My Valuim BACK,

that they took from Me last month,

Without Tapering Me.....omg,

Luckily I Didnt Need it, Wasnt Taking It,

Because i Didnt Feel it was doing a damn thing for Me. 

So No Problems there.  T.G.

But I Most Definitely have PTSD after Seeing My Son Kill a Pedophile Right in Front of Me.

Will the Valium Help Me with My SEVER 

W/D ??

TYSM

Edited by scallywag
merged topics

Along w/ Adding in....

6 hours ago, scallywag said:

Ttgreat54 -- If you've switched back to Pristiq at 50 mg, please take it EVERY day at approximately the same time each day. Skipping days is a guaranteed recipe to further destabilize you, worsening current symptoms and creating new ones.

Are you willing to be patient as your CNS (central nervous system) deals with the medication changes and then eventually settles down? You will have symptoms for a while as your CNS adjusts, then they will diminish over time.  You need to be patient -- this means not looking to the prescription bottle to fix your symptoms. The only thing that is likely "fix" your symptoms is stable dosing + time.

TY Scallywag, 

Yesterday & today & from here forward,

I will take 50mg daily to STABILIZE. 

How Much Time do u think it should take ???

I Will be Patient, Keep all this in

Perspective & Not Allow anyone Try

To Change My diagnosis, based on my

W/D Symptoms !!

You are All RockStars, 

I apologize if im doing any of this Wrong

I.e. posting Wrong stuff in wrong areas.

Im sure ill get the hang of it.

TY

Very Grateful 

Along w/ Adding in....

• Moderator Emeritus

I don't know how long it will take you to stabilize. You've been through some dramatic changes in dose and medication. Think about this in terms of many weeks instead of an expectation of a few days. Here's a relevant discussion on the topic:

How long to stabilize after reinstating or updosing.

scallywag's Introduction

• Moderator Emeritus

You started a in a new topic, "Im in Hell," in the Symptoms forum. I've moved your post to your introduction topic so that all your information, questions and answers are in one place. This forum works differently than other web communities.  We want to have all your information together in one topic so that we don't have to search the entire site to find details of your situation to answer your questions.

scallywag's Introduction

20 hours ago, scallywag said:

You started a in a new topic, "Im in Hell," in the Symptoms forum. I've moved your post to your introduction topic so that all your information, questions and answers are in one place. This forum works differently than other web communities.  We want to have all your information together in one topic so that we don't have to search the entire site to find details of your situation to answer your questions.

Ok Scallywag, 

Thank You.

So I Should from now on, just be posting Everything in this area or post ?

Sorry, obviously feel like ****, Shaky & 

Trouble concentrating. 

I will read the link & try to think in terms of weeks, not days.

Im going to have to Travel again soon to be with my Son who is sick & stuck in MI, We are from CA.

This has Me Very Worried, Feeling this Way, but Iam my Son Advocate & cannot abandon him, ever !!!

So thePressure Is ON for ME to Feel BETTER FAST !!

Ty again

Along w/ Adding in....

• Moderator Emeritus

Please post questions about your situation here in your introduction topic. It's the first place moderators and most members look.

scallywag's Introduction

UPDATE

After a Week of dropping my Prestiq 

100 mg to 50 mg, has Clearly sent my CNS into Shock !!

These W/D's are Much to hard on my body. I know in TIME this will subside, at Least I Pray they do !!

But for Now, its too Much, I have been House Ridden for 2 wks Straight !!

I do Not even Feel Safe Driving My Own Vehicle!! Thats how SHOT My Nevers Are !! 

So Yestetday I wrote my Psych.Dr. & told her, I WANT My Valium back, until i feel Stable.Then Stop again.

I was put of this drug, during the last yr, because of family Tragedy, but it wasnt helping, so I Stopped taking it. 

NOW its Like a WONDER DRUG..

Omg, What a Difference, A 50% Difference, to manage, until I become Stable. Possibly a few more Wks. One Can Hope !!

Then I will Stop the Valium again. 

This is My Update.

Thanx 4 all your help

Hope I posted correctly this time.

Along w/ Adding in....

On 8/7/2017 at 8:26 AM, baroquep said:

Hi Ttgreat54, Sorry to hear you are having such difficulty.  Unfortunately far too many doctors do not have experience tapering people safely off of these drugs and often try to take people off too quickly which results in horrendous withdrawal symptoms.  It is never recommended to alternate doses of these drugs, it is like playing ping pong with your brain when you go up and down in dosage.  The brain craves consistency and you should be taking the same dose every day.

Pristiq and Effexor are basically the same drug, although Pristiq is a concentrated version of Effexor, in other words Pristiq is stronger, and both drugs are difficult to withdrawal from.  I think because you switched out 50mg of Pristiq for 37.5mg of Effexor is the reason you are having such difficultly (as well as the 50% reduction of Pristiq). The doctor should have switched you out to a much higher dose of Effexor to compensate for the 50mg of Pristiq ... 50mg of Pristiq is likely equivalent to 100mg of Effexor.  My doctor switched me out at 50mg Pristiq for 75mg Effexor and it wasn't enough to compensate due to Pristiq being a lot stronger.  While switching from Pristiq to Effexor is doable, I don't think your doctor took the best approach and while I understand her/his rationale, it unfortunately didn't have positive results.  In any event, what is done is done and it is best to focus now on what you need to do to get you stabilized.

I am not a moderator and can only guide you based on my own experience, so I strongly encourage you to deal directly with a moderator to get you back on track.    From your posts, it's not clear how long you have been at 50mg Pristiq so the moderators will need to know this.  Often reinstating a small amount of the original drug is enough to get back on track but without clear dates and when you started and stopped Effexor it will be difficult for them to put a plan in place.  Please put together a post listing dates started/stopped, dosage, drug names, etc. so that a moderator will know what they are dealing with.

There are a few people on this site who are tapering directly from Pristiq by having it compounded (ChessieCat is one of them) and seem to do okay.  If I had to do it all over again, I would have probably had Pristiq compounded by a pharmacist (with a time release mechanism added) rather than switch to Effexor as switching between drugs adds yet another layer of difficulty in an already difficult situation.  

Wishing you all the best and hoping that you find things settle down for you soon. 

Hi Baroquep, 

Your Quote :

I would have probably had Pristiq compounded by a pharmacist (with a time release mechanism added) 

-------------------------------------------------------

Could you explain what you meant by having my pharmacist Compound Prestiq for me ???

Are you saying, have him make a liquid form of it, so i can eventually taper at Much smaller doses ??

Or am i Way Off...

Im not following that.

Thank you,  your help is greatly

Appreciated !!

Along w/ Adding in....

• Moderator Emeritus

I have my Pristiq compounded.  They crush up the tablets and measure out the powder into capsules.  I tell them what doses I want them to make the capsules.  The link to my topic is in my signature.  Fresh is another member who has had hers compounded.

Here is the SA discussion:  compounding-pharmacies-us-uk-and-elsewhere

ADs since ~1992:  25+ years - 1 unknown, Prozac (muscle weakness), Zoloft; citalopram (pooped out) CTed (very sick for 2.5 wks a few months after); Pristiq:  50mg 2012, 100mg beg 2013 (Serotonin Toxicity)  Tapering from Oct 2015 - 13 Nov 2021   LAST DOSE 0.0025mg

Post 0 updates start here    My tapering program     My Intro (goes to tapering graph)

17 hours ago, ChessieCat said:

I have my Pristiq compounded.  They crush up the tablets and measure out the powder into capsules.  I tell them what doses I want them to make the capsules.  The link to my topic is in my signature.  Fresh is another member who has had hers compounded.

Here is the SA discussion:  compounding-pharmacies-us-uk-and-elsewhere

TY Chessie,

I was told my 50 mg Prestiq tablets are extended relief, and crushing them forces them to go at Triple the Force all at once into your system, causing Worse Side effects.

They are Square Orange tablets 

Defalaxine or something like that. 

Is this the same med you were/are on.

Ill read what you sent me.

TYSM

Along w/ Adding in....

• Moderator Emeritus

Yes, I am on the same type of tablets of Pristiq.  I have been using the compounded capsules since November 2016 and haven't had any issues.  I also take magnesium.  I have found that if I don't take it I feel a bit of anxiety.  When I do take the magnesium have found that it takes the edge off the anxiety.  I haved started and stopped it several times and have experienced the same thing each time.

24 minutes ago, ChessieCat said:

Yes, I am on the same type of tablets of Pristiq.  I have been using the compounded capsules since November 2016 and haven't had any issues.  I also take magnesium.  I have found that if I don't take it I feel a bit of anxiety.  When I do take the magnesium have found that it takes the edge off the anxiety.  I haved started and stopped it several times and have experienced the same thing each time.

Ok Wow, TY Chessie,

Great Info there, ill start the Magnesium straight away !!

I was given a list of pharmacies that compound meds. On here.... However, I've checked them All and None of them compound Prestiq !!!

I did write a letter to a few of these pharmacies to see if they can !

Can you tell me what pharmacy you use, i dont care what it Cost.

Money is not a Problem. My health & well being is, however. 

Btw, I  told my dr. To give me Valium, temporarily, and its Completely working, like 50%, which is Much more tolerant on my body.

When I've stabilized I will Stop the Valium, as I won't have any Need for it.

Its Not my thing at All !!!

Im guessing only a few weeks, as im already, a few weeks in, on 50mg from 100mg. 

Ty Chessie, you've been a huge help.

Actually Everyone Here, has been.

I am So Grateful to have find this site.

I can type & think much better.

Wow NEVER SNRI AGAIN !!!!

Along w/ Adding in....

http://survivingantidepressants.org/profile/7196-scallywag/

A request: Would you summarize your history in a signature -- drugs, doses, dates, and discontinuations & reinstatements, in the last 12-24 months particularly?

• Any drugs prior to 24 months ago can just be listed with start and stop years. 
  • Please use actual dates or approximate dates (mid-June, Late October) rather than relative time frames (last week, 3 months ago) 
  • Spell out months, e.g. "October" or "Oct."; 9/1/2016 can be interpreted as Jan. 9, 2016 or Sept. 1, 2016. 
  • Please leave out symptoms and diagnoses. 
  • A list is easier to understand than one or multiple paragraphs. 
  • Link to Account Settings – Create or Edit a signature.

OK Scallywag, 

Im going to Attempt to do my 

Signature Now !! 

TY 4 ALL the information You have given Me, You have been a TREMENDOUS HELP !!

I hope I do this Right, as I am Still in a Serious Brain Fog, State of Mind.

I know YOU said My Body NEEDS TIME⏰ to Heal, " Dont REACH 4 the Bottle ".

But the 0.5 Valium, has Helped Me More than I can Say. 4 Me, its TEMPORARILY. NOT LOOKING to Switch 1 habit 4 Another !!!

Thanx Again

:)

Along w/ Adding in....

• Moderator Emeritus

Ttgreat54,

You need to be very careful with valium or any other type of benzo (tranquilizer), as they are highly addictive.  It is my understanding that it only takes three weeks to become addicted to benzos and they are a lot more difficult to get off of than anti-depressants.  They will also likely further destabilize your already fragile central nervous system.  ChessieCat warned me when I first started to taper to try to manage my symptoms without taking a tranquilizer.  I ran into trouble a couple of times during my taper and looking back, I am so very thankful that I was warned not to start taking Ativan (another benzo).  It is too easy to start relying on tranquilizers to get some relief from withdrawal and then you end up getting addicted to that drug as well.  Withdrawal does settle by itself if you allow it to.  My withdrawal symptoms did settle down without the addition of another highly addictive drug but it took time.  If I were you, I'd let my central nervous system settle down on Pristiq for a very long while, at least a few months or longer.     

Current Prescription Drugs for Hypothyroidism:  Synthroid 100mcg / Cytomel 5mcg (15 years Pristiq/Effexor)

Tapering Schedule
September 15, 2016 - switched from Pristiq 50mg to Effexor XR 75mg; November 10, 2016 - reduced to 67.5 Effexor XR
December 9, 2016 - reduced 60.75
January 5, 2017 - reduced 54.67
January 30, 2017 - reduced to 49.0
February 20, 2017 - reduced to 44.0 
May 20, 2017 - reduced to 40.25 (holding for additional month due to late onset of withdrawal symptoms after this taper)
July 17, 2017 - reduced to 38.24
August 15, 2017 - reduced to 37.5 (50% of my original dose)

October 15, 2017 - reduced to 35.6

November 12, 2017 - reduced to 33.8
December 15, 2017 - up-dose to 35.6
December 28, 2017 - up-dose to 37.5

• Moderator Emeritus

baroquep is almost right with the benzos.  I've heard that you can become dependent in as little as 2 weeks.

As far as compounding Pristiq, I am in Australia.

On 2017-08-10 at 9:09 PM, scallywag said:

Have you read this topic?

Or watched the video in the first post?

Simplest way to make a liquid is to use the same number of ml as your capsule or tablet.

50 mg tablet? Use 50 ml water.

20 mg tablet? Use 20 ml water

75 mg capsule? Use 75 ml water.

Scallywag, 

Thanx 4 this info.

Does this apply to Prestiq ? I was told it is an extended relief tablet ??

Does doing this cause to be Released more rapidly all at once ? Or Not

Thank you

Edited by scallywag
split from topic: making a liquid from Celexa

Along w/ Adding in....

On 2017-08-10 at 7:40 PM, baroquep said:

Ttgreat54,

You need to be very careful with valium or any other type of benzo (tranquilizer), as they are highly addictive.  It is my understanding that it only takes three weeks to become addicted to benzos and they are a lot more difficult to get off of than anti-depressants.  They will also likely further destabilize your already fragile central nervous system.  ChessieCat warned me when I first started to taper to try to manage my symptoms without taking a tranquilizer.  I ran into trouble a couple of times during my taper and looking back, I am so very thankful that I was warned not to start taking Ativan (another benzo).  It is too easy to start relying on tranquilizers to get some relief from withdrawal and then you end up getting addicted to that drug as well.  Withdrawal does settle by itself if you allow it to.  My withdrawal symptoms did settle down without the addition of another highly addictive drug but it took time.  If I were you, I'd let my central nervous system settle down on Pristiq for a very long while, at least a few months or longer.     

Hi, TY Baro,

Yes, if i had not already been on this drug a month prior, because of the PTSD i suffered, seeing My son AX another human being in the head, because he was a Pedophile,  than i wouldnt have tried it to begin with. My Drs had toTalk me into taking this drug !!

I really didnt expect it too work, as it Never worked Last time, at 0.5 mg

Which is Why I Stopped taking it after 6 mons, Cold Turkey. Without one Side effect.

Im Not one to Use Drugs Period in my life. Ive never found them fun Nor Recreational. 

So Im Not Worried.

However ive taken the advice from these boards and Order a Great Magnesium L theronate, (spelling) sorry.

Also, as Soon as I dont Need the Valium I have No intention of taking it.

My dr. Knows I took myself off of it B4, and probably the reason she gave back at my request. 

She may be uneducated, but she is Listening to me, ill give her that.

She even asked the pharmacist 4 me if she could coumpound my Prestiq. 

At My Request.

That was pretty Cool, in my book.

Unfortunately the Pharmacist told her it wasnt safe for the patient. 

That i disagree with.

Edited by scallywag
mistake - added note to wrong post

Along w/ Adding in....

• Moderator Emeritus

Valium:  Just because you were able to stop it cold turkey previously doesn't mean that you will be able to do the same thing next time.  Please consider doing a taper of valium, even if you do it faster than 10%.  You will be doing your brain and CNS a big favour.

Pristiq:  There are many compounding pharmacies.  I suggest you find another one.  You can use this locator:  http://www.pccarx.com/contact-us/find-a-compounder

You could give your doctor my website which has my brief history (NB: it's not searchable in google):  http://adwithdrawal.weebly.com/

• Moderator Emeritus
6 hours ago, Ttgreat54 said:

Does this [making a liquid] apply to Prestiq ? I was told it is an extended relief tablet ??

Does doing this cause to be Released more rapidly all at once ? Or Not

Ttg: Extended release tablets do not do well when dissolved, losing their extended release characteristics. 

Please read the first post in Tips for tapering off Pristiq (desvenlafaxine)

scallywag's Introduction

• 4 weeks later...
On 2017-08-03 at 1:02 PM, Ttgreat54 said:

Great Post, Thank You ! ["How I am coping with depression" by apathetic]

Very informed, you know your stuff.

I'm new to all of it, but an advid researcher, also very in tune with My body, So I knew all of this....

What I do not Know is,

Should I be going from Prestiq 100mg to Effexor as of this past Wk.

7 days 50 mg Prestiq, w/ 37.5 mg Effex.

Now, Prestiq every other day for 3 days, Then Stop .Then adding another 37.5 Effex, Not there yet, a few more days.

I Am Petrified of Effexor Now !!!

After Reading these boards.

I had a Very Tragic Event, You wouldn't believe if I told you. 

Lawyers, traveling back & forth from West coast to East Coast, for the past 20 mons, hardly home,  because of the Fight to save someone's life.

So clearly Stress off the charts, PTSD

Intensive out patient therapy....

My WD so far, Extreme OCD, Hyper as Hell, Can't eat, Haven't Slept in 22 mons, since....

Prestiq is a Nightmare HELL to get off of. I did it once, 4 yrs ago, then had to reinstate after a month. Plus I didn't it myself, Stupid, Cut them in half, Even More Stupid, which caused them to release at triple the forces, causing that extreme Anxiety, I never have suffered with Period, just as a WD symptoms. 

So Any help would be greatly appreciated. I'm SCARED Now...

I pray I haven't Already done damage by taking this Effexor in the last 8 days.

That's how powerful a drug it apparently is. This I did not know...To Messed up to look into it myself, Not my usual MO, but I'm So out of it, just Not Myself !!

I hear Myself Rambling on, instantly Grab My Mouth, to Shut it UP. I KNOW, I'm Acting Like a FREAK 

Thanx so much 4 your post

How are you ttgreat54?  I am feeling exact same, and I just reinstated 5 mgs of effexor xr 4 days ago.  Even in my muddled brain I thought, hey maybe I should switch to pristique.  I so understand needing a quick fix when anxiety is through the roof and no sleep for months.  Please feel free to message if you need to talk, hope you're feeling a bit better~

On 9/7/2017 at 9:50 AM, Quest said:

How are you ttgreat54?  I am feeling exact same, and I just reinstated 5 mgs of effexor xr 4 days ago.  Even in my muddled brain I thought, hey maybe I should switch to pristique.  I so understand needing a quick fix when anxiety is through the roof and no sleep for months.  Please feel free to message if you need to talk, hope you're feeling a bit better~

Hi Quest,

Thank you for asking. I apologize for my late Reply.

Well, I'm presently Not Feeling So Hot.

But I did W/D from the Major side affects from dropping 50mgs Prestiq.

Yes, By Wk 2 of this Horrendous Ordeal ,I did have to use valium, which my doctor gave me Quite Willingly.

I Had used it b4, but didn't help, until

w/ds & tapering to rapidly from Prestiq.

It Saved Me. 

But I No Longer am taking it.

Per My Request.

Then it was finally Over, the light began to shine and I felt 90% better by Wk 4.

Then I felt great 4 about 2 wks, Now the Unmotivated, Part is Back, full swing.

I'm sure it's due to the 50 mg Drop.

Not sure what I'm going to do,  becuz I do struggle with depression, but only in the sense that I get extreme fatigue and Unmotivated. Not Woe is Me, Crying, Sleeping all day, in fact ive never been one to stay in bed at ALL during the day. 

To answer your question about starting Prestiq, With all my research and the help of this great site, I wouldn't recommend it to my worst enemy. 

It never Helped Me Anyway and I feel forever changed, trying to get off of it, not to mention I have 50mgs to Go.

And I'm told there is no way to Compound this medication. 

Prestiq is the Heaviest Hitter of all Antidepressants,  worse than Effxor, even tho they are very common in make up.  Don't do it, in fact SNRI's Are Completely Off the table forever,  for Me Now !!!!

I'm not really sure what I'm going to do.

Hope this helps.

Be Well ❤

Along w/ Adding in....

• Moderator Emeritus
1 hour ago, Ttgreat54 said:

And I'm told there is no way to Compound this medication. 

As I have already stated in previous posts I have been taking compounded Pristiq (I request a slow release additive) since the beginning of 2016, so now 1 year and 9 months and have had NO issues.  In terms of doses, I was taking 50mg tablet plus capsules for doses 75mg to 50mg but since I got below 50mg I have been taking ALL CAPSULES because 25mg Pristiq is not available in Australia.  My pharmacist has told me that he has other customers who are also getting their Pristiq compounded.

I strongly suggest that you research and enquire of various compounding pharmacists.  It makes tapering Pristiq so much easier.  My previous batch I had 20mg capsules made so I could add 2mg & 1mg to make up my doses.  My most recent batch has been 10mg, 5mg, 2mg, and 1mg, so that I can make my doses of 19mg, 18mg, 17mg etc.  Once I get below 10mg I will be getting 0.5mg capsules made up.

Hi

I have dropped 50mgs Prestiq

And been through Hell. 

I still have Another 50mgs to go...

But Im just Not Ready to go through these horrific withdrawals,

that I still have after 6 weeks,

or more. I dont remember. 

Question 

Has Anyone Paired ....

Prestiq 50mg /  Welbutrin 100mg.

I'm considering trying this becuz I feel like ****. Sorry.......

Apparently Welbutrin does Not have

Serotonin,  so there is No danger of

Overdosing on Serotonin & Serotonin 

Syndrome  !!

If Anyone has, what Success , if Any

have you had ?

Thanx so much ❤

Along w/ Adding in....

On 9/14/2017 at 5:18 PM, ChessieCat said:

As I have already stated in previous posts I have been taking compounded Pristiq (I request a slow release additive) since the beginning of 2016, so now 1 year and 9 months and have had NO issues.  In terms of doses, I was taking 50mg tablet plus capsules for doses 75mg to 50mg but since I got below 50mg I have been taking ALL CAPSULES because 25mg Pristiq is not available in Australia.  My pharmacist has told me that he has other customers who are also getting their Pristiq compounded.

I strongly suggest that you research and enquire of various compounding pharmacists.  It makes tapering Pristiq so much easier.  My previous batch I had 20mg capsules made so I could add 2mg & 1mg to make up my doses.  My most recent batch has been 10mg, 5mg, 2mg, and 1mg, so that I can make my doses of 19mg, 18mg, 17mg etc.  Once I get below 10mg I will be getting 0.5mg capsules made up.

Chessie,

Forgive Me.... Ehhhm 

I've been Quite Out of It......

As I'm Sure you understand, Yes,

I Read & Researched your post, Even

in the Height of My Withdrawals. 

I Contacted Compounding Pharmacies,

I Got Many No's, except 4 One who

Said it came in 25 mg. But they were

800.00 a prescription and Don't take insurance!!

So Who is YOUR Pharmacist....

And Does he take Insurance ??

Thanx for letting me know

Along w/ Adding in....

• Moderator Emeritus

I'm in Australia.  We can't get 25mg here, but it seems that it is available in the USA.

I have simplified the information from Post #1 in this topic  Compounding pharmacies and highlighted certain parts.

If you wish to have a compounding pharmacy make liquid medications for you (or make capsules in custom dosages), you will need a prescription from a physician. Any MD can write this prescription, it doesn't have to be a psychiatrist.

Make your request for a compounded prescription calmly, politely, firmly, and, if necessary, repeatedly.

Instruction for doctors: How to write a prescription for a compounded drug

Write the prescription following this format:

Compounded Medication
Generic Name of Active Ingredient(s) / Strength or Dose (i.e., mg or %)
Dosage Form (i.e., Suppository, Transdermal Gel, Troche)
Quantity
Directions for Use

The doctors should be sure to write "Compounded Medication" at the top of the prescription form.

Generally, for insurance coverage, the prescription should specify a daily dose that is not available in tablets or capsules, or your insurance will insist you use the tablets or capsules instead.

Cost of compounded drugs
Because of the additional labor by a pharmacist, compounded drugs are generally more expensive than ordinary prescriptions.

Some health insurance plans cover compounded drugs and some do not. US Medicare does cover compounded drugs on the plan's formulary.

You will need to contact the compounding pharmacy for an estimate and (contact) your health insurance plan to find out coverage of a compounded drug. Some plans may require "medical necessity" paperwork from the doctor before they will pay for a compounded drug.

You might find some helpful tips for talking with a medical professional in these topics.  When it comes to tapering a psychiatric drug we need to be very assertive because it is our health and well being that is at risk.  We are the ones who can end up suffering, and unfortunately there seems to be very few in the medical professions who understand and acknowledge that these drugs change our brain and need to be tapered carefully so our brain adapts gradually as we slowly reduced the drug:

How do you talk to a doctor about tapering and withdrawal?

What should I expect from my doctor about withdrawal symptoms?

Edited by ChessieCat

• ChessieCat changed the title to Pairing antidepressants
  • Moderator Emeritus
50 minutes ago, Ttgreat54 said:

Question 

Has Anyone Paired ....

Prestiq 50mg /  Welbutrin 100mg.

Your brain has adapted to Pristiq and it is Pristiq which your brain is crying out for.  If you add a different drug you will muddy the waters.  If you take a new drug, and you start to feel worse you will know if it is from the Pristiq withdrawal or start up or even side effects/reaction to Wellbutrin.  The solution IS NOT in taking an extra/different drug.

It is best to reinstate/updose the drug which your brain has adapted to.  It is possible to cut Pristiq tablets, even though it isn't easy.  Fresh was cutting and weighing her Pristiq before she got them compounded.  Have you checked out her topic?

Here is the   topic About reinstating and stabilizing to reduce withdrawal symptoms.  I suggest you have a good read of Post #1 so that you can understand SA's suggestion/recommendation on reinstatement.  You might find that updosing by a very small amount may take the edge off your withdrawal symptoms.  The longer you leave reinstatement/updosing the less chance there is of it being successful.  Also:  Tips for tapering off Pristiq (desvenlafaxine)

I haven't told you about my experience, I thought I had.  I tried to reduce my Pristiq from 100mg to 50mg and suffered very bad cog fog for 3 weeks.  At the end of the 3 weeks I wasn't able to type.  Being a professional typist for 40+ years I knew that something was wrong.  Thankfully I had joined SA a few days before this happened and they had suggested updosing.  When I couldn't type I went and took extra Pristiq.  After about 4 hours my foggy head was clearing and I was able to type again.  After stabilising I then started tapering and have been doing so successfully and I am now down to 19mg.  I had a few hiccups when I first started tapering but I have done a couple of long holds for 3 months at 50mg tablet, and 7 weeks at 20mg capsule.  As I reduced my dose I started feeling like my old self from 25+ years ago.  Even though I am reducing by a bit less than 10% I am still experiencing withdrawal symptoms but they are very mild and because I know that they are withdrawal symptoms I accept them and understand that my brain is adapting so it doesn't worry me.