Ttgreat54: switch from Pristiq to Effexor

Ttgreat54

18 minutes ago, ChessieCat said:

I'm in Australia.  We can't get 25mg here, but it seems that it is available in the USA.

I have simplified the information from Post #1 in this topic  Compounding pharmacies and highlighted certain parts.

If you wish to have a compounding pharmacy make liquid medications for you (or make capsules in custom dosages), you will need a prescription from a physician. Any MD can write this prescription, it doesn't have to be a psychiatrist.

Make your request for a compounded prescription calmly, politely, firmly, and, if necessary, repeatedly.

Instruction for doctors: How to write a prescription for a compounded drug

Write the prescription following this format:

The doctors should be sure to write "Compounded Medication" at the top of the prescription form.

Generally, for insurance coverage, the prescription should specify a daily dose that is not available in tablets or capsules, or your insurance will insist you use the tablets or capsules instead.

Cost of compounded drugs
Because of the additional labor by a pharmacist, compounded drugs are generally more expensive than ordinary prescriptions.

Some health insurance plans cover compounded drugs and some do not. US Medicare does cover compounded drugs on the plan's formulary.

You will need to contact the compounding pharmacy for an estimate and (contact) your health insurance plan to find out coverage of a compounded drug. Some plans may require "medical necessity" paperwork from the doctor before they will pay for a compounded drug.

You might find some helpful tips for talking with a medical professional in these topics.  When it comes to tapering a psychiatric drug we need to be very assertive because it is our health and well being that is at risk.  We are the ones who can end up suffering, and unfortunately there seems to be very few in the medical professions who understand and acknowledge that these drugs change our brain and need to be tapered carefully so our brain adapts gradually as we slowly reduced the drug:

How do you talk to a doctor about tapering and withdrawal?

What should I expect from my doctor about withdrawal symptoms?

Thank You Again Chessie,

I appreciate this, I fear with My Insurance at the present time, I'm out of luck. It's Kaiser Permanente and they Don't Compound, My Dr. Is Amazing and has Fervently Listen to all the Research I have done, Even in this state of Mind...

And very willing to even write me a Prescription, even asking me, How to Write it....

And that's going outside my network.

But you didn't give me the name of the pharmacy you use ?

I Would Love to Go at a Much Slower Pace, I Can't Deal with this.....

My Son has been in a hospital for going on 24 Mons. I'm No Good to him in this condition. 

Prestiq 50 mg : 2010 - 2016

Prestig 100 mg: Oct 2016- July 2017

Prestiq 50 mg : July 2017 

Along w/ Adding in....

Effexor 37.5 July 2017 w/Prestiq

Trazodone 1-2 pills 4 sleep

Only took EFFEXOR 8 DAYS, STOPPED

TRAZODONE 4 days, STOPPED

TAPERING PRESTIQ ONLY : 50MG

BEGUN JULY 27, 2017 Still doing this to Stabalize At this Dose.

11 minutes ago, ChessieCat said:

Your brain has adapted to Pristiq and it is Pristiq which your brain is crying out for.  If you add a different drug you will muddy the waters.  If you take a new drug, and you start to feel worse you will know if it is from the Pristiq withdrawal or start up or even side effects/reaction to Wellbutrin.  The solution IS NOT in taking an extra/different drug.

It is best to reinstate/updose the drug which your brain has adapted to.  It is possible to cut Pristiq tablets, even though it isn't easy.  Fresh was cutting and weighing her Pristiq before she got them compounded.  Have you checked out her topic?

Here is the   topic About reinstating and stabilizing to reduce withdrawal symptoms.  I suggest you have a good read of Post #1 so that you can understand SA's suggestion/recommendation on reinstatement.  You might find that updosing by a very small amount may take the edge off your withdrawal symptoms.  The longer you leave reinstatement/updosing the less chance there is of it being successful.  Also:  Tips for tapering off Pristiq (desvenlafaxine)

I haven't told you about my experience, I thought I had.  I tried to reduce my Pristiq from 100mg to 50mg and suffered very bad cog fog for 3 weeks.  At the end of the 3 weeks I wasn't able to type.  Being a professional typist for 40+ years I knew that something was wrong.  Thankfully I had joined SA a few days before this happened and they had suggested updosing.  When I couldn't type I went and took extra Pristiq.  After about 4 hours my foggy head was clearing and I was able to type again.  After stabilising I then started tapering and have been doing so successfully and I am now down to 19mg.  I had a few hiccups when I first started tapering but I have done a couple of long holds for 3 months at 50mg tablet, and 7 weeks at 20mg capsule.  As I reduced my dose I started feeling like my old self from 25+ years ago.  Even though I am reducing by a bit less than 10% I am still experiencing withdrawal symptoms but they are very mild and because I know that they are withdrawal symptoms I accept them and understand that my brain is adapting so it doesn't worry me.

WOW,

We have had Identical Reactions to this Damn Drug !!!

I honestly want to Sue the Manufacturers for the Pain & Suffering that is Near Debilitating !!

If I Could Only figure out this Compounding part.....

I'm Sure You are Right !!

I will take your Advice and Not Take the Welbutrin,  I actually figured this wouldn't Help, as my body Really just wants more Prestiq  !!

I am just Desperate to Feel Better.

I know, Patience.....but it's So Hard !!!

I just Need to get down from the 50mg

I'm still on, while withdrawaling from 

100mg approx. 6 weeks ago.

This is Hell.

But TY. 

I'll read your links again Chessie

Along w/ Adding in....

• Moderator Emeritus
5 minutes ago, Ttgreat54 said:

But you didn't give me the name of the pharmacy you use ?

I am in Australia.

Have you investigated this:  Some plans may require "medical necessity" paperwork from the doctor before they will pay for a compounded drug.

If after you have tried every avenue the only other option would be to use a scale and cut up your tablets.  using-a-digital-scale-to-measure-doses

Or, change to Effexor.  The Effexor dose needs to be double the Pristiq dose, so if you are taking 50mg Pristiq you will need to take 100mg Effexor.  baroquep changed from Pristiq to Effexor.

* NO LONGER ACTIVE on SA *

MISSION ACCOMPLISHED:  (6 year taper)      0mg Pristiq  on 13th November 2021

ADs since ~1992:  25+ years - 1 unknown, Prozac (muscle weakness), Zoloft; citalopram (pooped out) CTed (very sick for 2.5 wks a few months after); Pristiq:  50mg 2012, 100mg beg 2013 (Serotonin Toxicity)  Tapering from Oct 2015 - 13 Nov 2021   LAST DOSE 0.0025mg

Post 0 updates start here    My tapering program     My Intro (goes to tapering graph)

VIDEO:   Antidepressant Withdrawal Syndrome and its Management

• Moderator Emeritus
3 minutes ago, Ttgreat54 said:

I just Need to get down from the 50mg

I'm still on, while withdrawaling from 

100mg approx. 6 weeks ago.

If it was me, I'd be cutting up a 50mg tablet into 4 and taking an extra 12.5mg of Pristiq.  Unfortunately it won't be as precise as we would like it to be, but at a higher dose precision isn't quite as necessary.

ADs since ~1992:  25+ years - 1 unknown, Prozac (muscle weakness), Zoloft; citalopram (pooped out) CTed (very sick for 2.5 wks a few months after); Pristiq:  50mg 2012, 100mg beg 2013 (Serotonin Toxicity)  Tapering from Oct 2015 - 13 Nov 2021   LAST DOSE 0.0025mg

Post 0 updates start here    My tapering program     My Intro (goes to tapering graph)

24 minutes ago, ChessieCat said:

Your brain has adapted to Pristiq and it is Pristiq which your brain is crying out for.  If you add a different drug you will muddy the waters.  If you take a new drug, and you start to feel worse you will know if it is from the Pristiq withdrawal or start up or even side effects/reaction to Wellbutrin.  The solution IS NOT in taking an extra/different drug.

It is best to reinstate/updose the drug which your brain has adapted to.  It is possible to cut Pristiq tablets, even though it isn't easy.  Fresh was cutting and weighing her Pristiq before she got them compounded.  Have you checked out her topic?

Here is the   topic About reinstating and stabilizing to reduce withdrawal symptoms.  I suggest you have a good read of Post #1 so that you can understand SA's suggestion/recommendation on reinstatement.  You might find that updosing by a very small amount may take the edge off your withdrawal symptoms.  The longer you leave reinstatement/updosing the less chance there is of it being successful.  Also:  Tips for tapering off Pristiq (desvenlafaxine)

I haven't told you about my experience, I thought I had.  I tried to reduce my Pristiq from 100mg to 50mg and suffered very bad cog fog for 3 weeks.  At the end of the 3 weeks I wasn't able to type.  Being a professional typist for 40+ years I knew that something was wrong.  Thankfully I had joined SA a few days before this happened and they had suggested updosing.  When I couldn't type I went and took extra Pristiq.  After about 4 hours my foggy head was clearing and I was able to type again.  After stabilising I then started tapering and have been doing so successfully and I am now down to 19mg.  I had a few hiccups when I first started tapering but I have done a couple of long holds for 3 months at 50mg tablet, and 7 weeks at 20mg capsule.  As I reduced my dose I started feeling like my old self from 25+ years ago.  Even though I am reducing by a bit less than 10% I am still experiencing withdrawal symptoms but they are very mild and because I know that they are withdrawal symptoms I accept them and understand that my brain is adapting so it doesn't worry me.

I am so sorry you're feeling bad.  Depression is the worst!  Yes, you definitely answered my question about pristique, thank you.  It is day 11 at 5 mgs of reinstated effexor and still not feeling great either.  You are taking things smart and slow, I wish I could go back in time and do the same, now who knows.  The no sleep is really wearing me down.  I am so glad things are going well for you~ inspiration.

• 1 month later...
On 9/15/2017 at 7:24 PM, ChessieCat said:

If it was me, I'd be cutting up a 50mg tablet into 4 and taking an extra 12.5mg of Pristiq.  Unfortunately it won't be as precise as we would like it to be, but at a higher dose precision isn't quite as necessary.

Thank you Chessie,

What about the extended release factor?

Will this have a negative affect on Me?

Just curious ty

Along w/ Adding in....

• Moderator Emeritus

Fresh was cutting up her Pristiq before she started getting them compounded.  I get mine compounded and have been taking only capsules (all in the morning) since I got under 50mg and I am now down to 17mg.

17 hours ago, ChessieCat said:

Fresh was cutting up her Pristiq before she started getting them compounded.  I get mine compounded and have been taking only capsules (all in the morning) since I got under 50mg and I am now down to 17mg.

That's Great Chessie,

I'm glad 4 you, sounds like you are on the Road to Recovery  🤗

Something I Pray for Myself.

Tonight, out of desperation, I took a Razor Blade to my 50 mg Pristiq & Sliced the Protective coating Off of it., Came Off pretty easy, Much to my surprise, 

And swallowed what looked like a 15% of the Powder (Guessing, of Course)

It's been approx. 3 mons, since down dosing from 100 Mg's to 50 Mg's !!

And it's been Pure Hell.

Still Can't focus or barely Type, 

So I Apologize for not responding sooner. In Brain Hell.

Praying this Helps !

Ty.

Along w/ Adding in....

• ChessieCat changed the title to Ttgreat54: switch from Pristiq to Effexor