Denstar51

Brain Fog: Blank mind, comprehension, cognitive and memory problems

MostlyWater

Meditation has been proven to improve cognition

btdt

i am 30 months off and still suffering. If you want some hopeful stories there was a guy named Challenge on PP who had severe cognitive issues. Horrible memory inability to concentrate etc. He completely healed but it took around 4 years to start seeing real improvement by 5 years he was ok. His wa so bad that he told me he didn't recognize the house he grew up in or where his room was.

For myself I took Cerebrolysin a while back and it almost completely cleared the fog but it made me way too nauseas and I could not function so I only took it one day.

"They added that the treatment is not widely used because it must be given by intravenous infusion and requires a long-term and demanding treatment schedule" 

Did you have it intervenously?

http://www.medscape.com/viewarticle/778765

DizzyGirl

It really scares me to hear that you still have brain fog.

But the good news is that you can hold down a job. I can't even pick our my own clothes right now.

Please can someone give us a silver lining?

Dont be scared, Wigglelt.

In my case I cannot say if it is protracted wtihdrawal or anxiety.

+ I am in a better place today that I was 30 months ago. I even took a 8 hours' flight to NY, USA from Germany and visited my sister for a week. This would have been impossible 2 years ago.

I am reading "the panic switch" by Jeffrey Hammes right now and it might be that I am just left with anxiety and I have to change my thinking. I can recommend you that book. But most of it you can get on his website for free anway.

btdt

i am 30 months off and still suffering. If you want some hopeful stories there was a guy named Challenge on PP who had severe cognitive issues. Horrible memory inability to concentrate etc. He completely healed but it took around 4 years to start seeing real improvement by 5 years he was ok. His wa so bad that he told me he didn't recognize the house he grew up in or where his room was.

For myself I took Cerebrolysin a while back and it almost completely cleared the fog but it made me way too nauseas and I could not function so I only took it one day.

"They added that the treatment is not widely used because it must be given by intravenous infusion and requires a long-term and demanding treatment schedule" 

Did you have it intervenously?

http://www.medscape.com/viewarticle/778765

I was sure I read your answer to this post yet I don't see it here and the number of the post is in order... i am not sure about this site if deleting a post throws the numbers off...maybe not.  I can't imagine why it would be delted?

WiggleIt

DizzyGirl, thank you for the reassurance.  I think I will look for that book!  I do notice that I think better when I am calm and I've been trying to meditate every day.

Btdt, I can still see the original above that you have quoted, so I'm not sure if anything got deleted.  Weird.  

btdt

How about this for starters 

http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/786-papers-about-post-ssri-sexual-disorder-pssd/#entry129531

post #22

This was a bit of my day... I played a video game with a kid I babysat last night ... I was always lost could not get out of where I was... would maybe not have noticed if the kids did not tease me so much about it.  Lately had issues getting lost not being able to find places again. 

For a bit of science on memory and Ad use see this 

http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/8219-verbal-and-spatial-memory-impairment/

Hope you are well. 

peace

btdt

PS 

In my teenage years I had a memory people envied.  I could not forget things and aced exams took highest marks in my school for more than one subject.  Honor student. I learned trigonometry on the bus on the way to school wrote and aced the exam. ahh my a brain is a sad thing to waste.  

strongereachday

Hi i was wondering if any of u have had worsening brain fog. I feel like im in a wave and probably better than i was a year ago but after 13 months off remeron i still feel like certain symptoms are worse. Its probably the agnososia but have yall ever wondered if the brain fog ever degenerates til ur a vegetable like with Alzheimer's. I doubt this happens but my fears always go there. Not trying to scare anyone.i have come a long long way from a year ago. Thanks. Peace love and healing.

dreamchaser

hi strongereachday,

I have experienced worsening brain fog since stopping antipsychotic meds last sept. Are you having trouble concentrating, focusing on tasks, reading and or cpmprehending what you are reading, stunted intelligence and loss of vocabulary?

strongereachday

yes dreamchaser, I am definitely having all of those. feels like a really bad wave where the suicidal thoughts r coming back. cant experience a moment of joy sometimes. its like a damn maze, when im feeling like im finding my way I lose it again. I have a hard time speaking. I have a thought in my mind and I open my mouth and cant articulate. I cant understand whats going on on a tv show im watching sometimes, and im short with people when theyre speaking with me. feels like im getting worse, so damn scary. cuz I just had a window about a month ago or so

dreamchaser

I feel your pain, im still struggling everyday here is some advice from a thread i created. I just started taking the fish oil and magnesium and it does help with brain zaps but i am hoping things will get better with time. Also try looking at other threads in the symptoms and self care section you may find a lot of useful info there. Please do stay in touch,I will do the same

Here is a description of the effects of these drugs on the brain, and why we recommend such a cautious approach.  I will emphasize, these drugs are not like asprin, you can't just quit them and move on.  They will continue to rattle through your system long after the "half ife" of the drug is expended.  This is because they change your brain, and you want your brain back.  

Rhi's description of healing the brain

If you are in a hurry and want to heal your brain RIGHT NOW (I sense that you do, most people do), you can start by taking magnesium, which will help heal your neurotransmitters:

http://survivinganti...hannel-blocker/

and fish oil, which will help smooth the firing of your neurons:

http://survivinganti...acids-fish-oil/

The biggest healer, as you go through this is time.

strongereachday

thanks so much dreamchaser. I was prescribed magnesium, b vitamins, d vitamins, and fish oil by my naturopath. unfortunately, the last couple weeks I haven't take them. that might be one of the reasons I feel worse. im going to start taking them again. ill definitely stay in touch. may I ask you, how long you have been off your drugs and whether brain fog has improved for you. I definitely sense that brain fog might be a protective mechanism of the brain as its healing, and i know its very hard to track recovery even though it is happening. i really hope that the brain fog improves because the longer im in it, the more bitter i get and am no fun to be around. i realize time is the most important thing to rely on though and have accepted the pain may be with me for awhile. atleast the muscle pains are tingling sensations throughout the body. they left pretty quickly and that's a huge improvement. thanks. peace, love, and healing

dreamchaser

I stopped the hard antipsychotics in september of last year and i just stopped taking zofloft and vistril last month, currently i am still taking trazodone to help with sleep. My brain fog has improved slightly but I am nowhere near close to my pre-med self. And I agree with you the longer the brain fog persists the more bitter and frustrated i get because I know who I used to be and I want nothing more in life than to get back to who I was and doing the things i used to enjoy doing. I feel like this has brought my life to a stand still, I just graduated from college in may of 2014 and had a very promising future and then boom all this happened and now im stuck in this state until my brain/nervous system repairs itself. I wish there was some kind of times table as to when we will go back to normal that would give us all a peace of mind. what other symptoms are you experiencing???

strongereachday

im sorry youre experiencing such pain, especially at such a crucial time in your life. im 23 and hoping to go back to college to finish my associates degree. only half way through. unfortunately, I believe I should wait to heal maybe another six months before im able to handle academic work. at least im able to work part time but even that is a struggle. some other symptoms im having are hardcore daydreaming, like ill be completely spacing out and almost forget im on planet earth like a semi coma. then my friends and family think im angry or something but im just hardcore spaced out. also its like I have no mental filter sometimes. I talk about inappropriate things at inappropriate times like sex out of the blue. never used to be like this. sometimes I laugh really really loud and I think it freaks people out, at least it freaks me out. its like it induced a mild temporary tourettes or something. ive read that autistic like symptoms can appear, but of course theyre not permanent. lately, ive been getting severely angry. on the positive side, im not isolating anymore and a lot of my ptsd symptoms seem to be more manageable. I got on the antidepressant for ptsd, but after the hell of the withdrawal ptsd seems like a cakewalk and im better able to handle that.

dreamchaser

hey strongereachday,

sorry for the late response its been a hectic week, we are in the same boat i want wait until things get back to normal before i persue progressing in my current career field. like you i am also working and i agree it can be a struggle at times not being able to focus or remember things.I did experience some of your symptoms while i was on meds like the not having a mental filter and saying whatever came to my mind no matter if it was appropriate or not and that can put you in some awkward situations. After stopping the meds this did go away for me but was replaced by depression and higher than normal anxiety. Can i ask what has been causing you to feel so angry as of late and also what experience led to you having ptsd?

strongereachday

ya sounds a lot like what im going through. as for the anger, I just feel like people misperceive me like when im quiet they think im angry but its cuz im in a dense brain fog. its so hard for people to understand even though I tell them what im going through they don't understand my moods. therefore I feel very betrayed, and the thought that even my family could leave me in the dust like this just tears me up. im going to see a therapist for the anger. as for the ptsd, I had an incident of relocation where I was pretty isolated and developed severe panic. after that incident I was a different person with an anxiety disorder pretty badly traumatized. that's why I went on the antidepressant in the first place. and then this withdrawal syndrome I feel like is traumatizing because its so isolating. no one can understand except me cuz most people have never been through it. and every day there is a frustration. when I add up all the frustrations and misunderstandings, bullying, and rejection due to my condition its left me extremely bitter, possibly traumatized, and just pessimistic in some ways. I have a lot of hope for the future and have an ok attitude most of the time but its so hard to feel like im treading through quicksand. peace, love, and healing

dreamchaser

I agree 100%, its hard for people to understand what we are going through I have tried explaining to my mother and a few close friends but no one really gets it.  Being in a constant brain fog makes it rather difficult to lead a normal life day to day it makes it hard to work, hard to maintain, and start new social relationships, focus on work or try to learn anything new. I am sincerely sorry that you had to go through those traumatic events in your life bringing you to where you are now but there is light at the end of the tunnel it wont be an easy journey but we can make it through stay strong!

Altostrata

merged similar topics

shelby

I've been off effexor for 6 months and a collection of benzos before that. My cognition and memory are at there worst right now. It seems to have only gotten worse since I came off. I keep thinking its dementia or Alzheimer's. I had a MRI in Jan that came back normal. I hope this is all normal for healing... At least I can still remember my wife and kids names

Altostrata

if you read this topic from the beginning, you will see this is very common in withdrawal syndrome.

btdt

I've been off effexor for 6 months and a collection of benzos before that. My cognition and memory are at there worst right now. It seems to have only gotten worse since I came off. I keep thinking its dementia or Alzheimer's. I had a MRI in Jan that came back normal. I hope this is all normal for healing... At least I can still remember my wife and kids names

Shelby unless some genius docto/scientist comes up with a miracle cure for this... yes I jest

There is nothing to do to fix it that I know of it there were we would all be doing it. 

shelby

Any one else get the brain freezing thing just after waking up? It's like you can't think at all and you don't exist. I had it often after Benzos. It wears off after about 15 minutes. Very scary but is it dangerous?

justwanttobefree

Nope it can't be dangerous shelby because I used to have it every morning and I don't any more! I would wake up and it felt like waking up from a coma. Mind was completely blank. Didn't know who I was, where I was, like my entire essence of self had been wiped. So terrifying but harmless and it will go away, I promise!

shelby

Does it lift? The brain fog? Does the memory ever get better after these poisons? Even a little?

shelby

When did go away for you?

btdt

For some people it seems to go away completely. 

I read this all again today as I have memory issues I noticed fish oil and mag are suggested with links... I took fish oil a long time till my hair was so greasy every day even after washing I could not stand it same for my skin. My liver is not so hot maybe it just could not do anymore fish oil.  Mag and me have never agreed... first time I took it I thought I had found one thing that noticeably helped but within days it reacted on me ... I do try it again from time to time just to check the last time I laid on the couch for days after taking with really heavy arms and legs felt like I was drugged. 

I do tend to react to everything many medications that I use to be able to take like gravol adult dose I would not even dream of taking now. I still get enough of a dose from a quarter to a half of a child dose of gravol ... just one example whatever is off in me that reacts to everything is still off 7 years later my memory can seem ok for a time only to crash and burn sometimes I can see a reason for it an illness or drug reaction extreme stress like death of a loved one I would expect it.. in all those circumstances.  There are other times I can see no reason for it unless I am simply having windows and waves 7 years later.. I don't know if that is possible or not. I just don't know. I do wonder about diabetes or some other metabolic thing or thyroid.. all checks so far came up empty. 

I am an odd one tho Shelby and I was drugged for 18 years... many drugs many stops and starts and I quit cold turkey ... if there were a list of all the things NOT to do if you want an easy wd all of those things would be on it. So you see I am not a good one to compare yourself with when it comes to short term use and I never had a successful taper so I don't talk much about it tho you can be here and not learn the basics.  

Perhaps I am a good one to look at if you want to know something about putting up with wd symptoms and keeping on going.. maybe not as I am not the most cheerful person here and not that inspiring... I will however always tell you the truth.  If I am looking for something I am good for maybe that is it. 

it is way to soon for you to thinking this will not end cause it will odds are in your favor.... 

It will end the brain fog all of it .. struggling against it as fighters always do just tires you out... tho I can't say the word acceptance as I don't have an ounce of it not really I am just waiting for it to be done... acceptance is what I have after days of not sleeping when I choose to lay still as it helps me more to do that than to not do it... that is the best I have for acceptance. 

I wish you peace

Bellisimo

Does anyone else have giants gaps in their memory? Most of what I've read from SSRI users, I believe, is short term memory problems (I have that too) but I have almost no memory of my entire life.

I've always had a bad memory. When I was a teen or in my early twenties, I couldn't remember anything before 13 years old. I used to think some trauma must have happened but I highly doubt it now. But now I can't remember hardly anything of my life. When I read people's stories that have had ECT, I can relate. It's like someone has erased years of my past and I only have very tiny glimpses. It makes it hard to feel like a normal human. I can barely hold a conversation, I have so little to share.

I wonder if this has more to do with the 8 years I took Lamictal than with SSRI's. Unfortunatly, when I try to look into the issue, I mostly come up with patients questioning and not getting real answers.

I do remember my life in episodes, but after quitting ssri my memory is very bad. i can forget things ive done in a day and sometimes everything goes totally black, I had many periods in the early w/d were I completly lost my memory and I got so scared. Iam much improved now

adrien

Ever since i was on olanzapine i've had persistent memory problems. I hope it's not permenent. Do memory problems eventually go away as you're off the med?

Marta

Hi! I don't think they will be permanent...it just will take a looong time to heal. If you read the stories here we talk about months or years....

It's very hard to wait so much, but what else could we do?

Hang in there!

M.

eiledon20

Aside from fish oil, what other supplements are safe to use to improve short term memory?

Darwin

Aside from fish oil, what other supplements are safe to use to improve short term memory?

lion's mane mushroom

Darwin

it promotes healing of your nervous system too

Purplestars22

Hello everyone, has anyone experienced loss of intellegence, unable to comprehend, difficult thinking(unable to use critical thinking), slow speech, memory impairment, and loss of prefrontal cortex functions. I am 22 months off and my brain function and fog is like how it was during acute wd and I feel I am getting worse. I feel like i have intellectual disability but hopefully it's just wd because I was not like this before. What are some of the things that may help with this? Do people get better?

Petunia

Topics merged.

Purplestars, this is a common withdrawal symptom, please read through this entire topic. Like all withdrawal symptoms, it will get better over time.

Webhead21

Im new to this site and have been going through "Brain Fog" for sometime, and I was wondering if any of you have experience long term memory problems. I used to be able to add things to conversations because it would just come to me, ideas, and i would also be able to remember experiences better about my life. Now I have a problem with thinking about my past, it seem to be unorganized. Im scared all the time hoping things will clear up. Im scared I'll never be myself again. I remember hearing '"you don't know what you have untill you loss it" will I know I loss my recall ability, ruminating about my past, and just lossing the experiences of the emotions that followed with the memory both sad and happy. I want my memory intact because they are me, I love me. Does anybody have any experiecne with this. Will my memories return to me. WIll I wake up one day and feel like me again.

UnfoldingSky

This is a big problem for me and I have read that there's at least one other person here with this issue.

I wonder how many others have it though?

I continue to experience memory problems and I am sure it must tie to this but in acute withdrawal when my memory in some ways was way worse I didn't seem to have this as badly.

Lately, though, say in the past few years? it has been an issue.  I can't think before I speak, I have great difficulty planning things, even simple things...It's like there's a wall between me and my future.

I realize this probably just fits under cognitive problems and maybe I'm asking too much but, is there anything that can be done to specifically address this particular problem? 

I can't count the number of times I've said stupid things to people not even realizing what the impact would be...Like for instance a little while ago I was out with some people I had just met and they offered to buy me some drinks and of course I just can't risk drinking alcohol after having had such a hard time with benzos...So I told them that I didn't drink.

No explanation given, in fact even had I wanted to I probably couldn't have explained myself.

You could have heard a pin drop after I said it too...Imagine telling a whole crowd of strangers in a bar that you don't drink, the implication being they are all alcoholics...Even though I really didn't care in the least if they drank or not!  It was so embarrassing.  And I continue to do "open mouth insert foot" things like this on a regular basis. 

It's at a point where sometimes I think I'd be better off not saying anything but as my memory is poor I can't even remember to do that strategy.