Brain fog: blank mind, comprehension, concentration, cognitive, and memory problems

Denstar51

• Moderator Emeritus

I've always been a bit like this, even before drugs and withdrawal, and have felt embarrassed and self conscious at times, especially because I tend to think differently from the way a lot of people do. So I learned to monitor my thoughts before I ever said anything, it took a lot of energy.  But now I've got very little control over what's going to come out of my mouth when I talk, most of the time it doesn't even feel like its me talking, I've given up trying to think first, but so far, nothing bad has happened and its definitely less stressful.

I'm curious, in your example, what do you wish you had said, if you'd had the ability to think first.

I don't think most people would think you are judging them negatively because they are drinking and you are choosing not to. Even if you don't give an explanation, which you don't have to, most people will assume something understandable. There are lots of reasons people don't drink - religious reasons, diet, medication interactions, alcoholism, driving, preference for mental clarity. It doesn't have to be a big deal, only if you make it one. I don't know what its like where you live, but here, where almost everyone and their dog drinks, most people wont give it a second thought when someone doesn't.

If there was a pause in the conversation, which is normal by the way, perhaps they were trying figure out how to respond to what you had said, not wanting to offend you, but wanting to buy you some kind of beverage. Perhaps rather than worrying about cognitive issues, which will improve over time, you could work on not stressing so much about what other people might be thinking because the reality is, they are going to think what they think based on their own beliefs and experiences and you can't have any control over that no matter how much forethought you have.

You might as well try and relax, be yourself, whoever you are at the moment and have a good time. You are able to go out, socialize and meet new people, I'm still waiting to be able to do those things again.

I have great difficulty planning things, even simple things...It's like there's a wall between me and my future.

I completely get this feeling of there being a wall between now and the future. I try to plan things, make schedules, like I used to, but it no longer works, unless I absolutely have to do something, more often than not, I wont do what I had planned at that specific time, but it usually gets done eventually. If someone else is involved, I'll stick to plans, but for myself, I only seem to function now by living spontaneously.

I wish there was something I could suggest US. If its cognitive impairment, then I guess it will recover along with all the other symptoms in time. Acceptance of ourselves and current limitations provides a better healing environment.

I'm not a doctor.  My comments are not medical advise. These are my opinions based on my own experience and what I've learned. Please discuss your situation with a medical practitioner who has knowledge of tapering and withdrawal...if you are lucky enough to find one.

My Introduction Thread

Full Drug and Withdrawal History

Brief Summary

Several SSRIs for 13 years starting 1997 (for mild to moderate partly situational anxiety) Xanax PRN ~ Various other drugs over the years for side effects

2 month 'taper' off Lexapro 2010

Short acute withdrawal, followed by 2 -3 months of improvement then delayed protracted withdrawal

DX ADHD followed by several years of stimulants and other drugs trying to manage increasing symptoms

Failed reinstatement of Lexapro and trial of Prozac (became suicidal)

May 2013 Found SA, learned about withdrawal, stopped taking drugs...healing begins.

Protracted withdrawal, with a very sensitized nervous system, slowly recovering as time passes

Supplements which have helped: Vitamin C, Magnesium, Taurine

Bad reactions: Many supplements but mostly fish oil and Vitamin D

June 2016 - Started daily juicing, mostly vegetables and lots of greens.

Aug 2016 - Oct 2016 Best window ever, felt almost completely recovered

Oct 2016 -Symptoms returned - bad days and less bad days.

April 2018 - No windows, but significant improvement, it feels like permanent full recovery is close.

VIDEO: Where did the chemical imbalance theory come from?

VIDEO: How are psychiatric diagnoses made?

VIDEO: Why do psychiatric drugs have withdrawal syndromes?

VIDEO: Can psychiatric drugs cause long-lasting negative effects?

VIDEO: Dr. Claire Weekes

Hi Petu,

Thanks for your detailed reply. I am going to answer this in the quote box as right now my memory is too poor to recall the individual points.

I've always been a bit like this, even before drugs and withdrawal, and have felt embarrassed and self conscious at times, especially because I tend to think differently from the way a lot of people do. So I learned to monitor my thoughts before I ever said anything, it took a lot of energy.  But now I've got very little control over what's going to come out of my mouth when I talk, most of the time it doesn't even feel like its me talking, I've given up trying to think first, but so far, nothing bad has happened and its definitely less stressful.

It's good to hear that nothing awful happened.  It oddly didn't occur to me that others may be like this naturally, so I feel a bit less alone knowing that, and maybe a bit more reassured thinking others not affected by drugs maybe have the same thing going on.  Not that I want anyone else to be going through this!

I'm curious, in your example, what do you wish you had said, if you'd had the ability to think first.

I probably would have said for medical reasons I couldn't drink.  Although I've said that in the past and had looks like I was assumed then to be an alcoholic, and as I barely drank before the drug reactions I really don't like people assuming this.

I don't think most people would think you are judging them negatively because they are drinking and you are choosing not to. Even if you don't give an explanation, which you don't have to, most people will assume something understandable. There are lots of reasons people don't drink - religious reasons, diet, medication interactions, alcoholism, driving, preference for mental clarity. It doesn't have to be a big deal, only if you make it one. I don't know what its like where you live, but here, where almost everyone and their dog drinks, most people wont give it a second thought when someone doesn't.

If there was a pause in the conversation, which is normal by the way, perhaps they were trying figure out how to respond to what you had said, not wanting to offend you, but wanting to buy you some kind of beverage. Perhaps rather than worrying about cognitive issues, which will improve over time, you could work on not stressing so much about what other people might be thinking because the reality is, they are going to think what they think based on their own beliefs and experiences and you can't have any control over that no matter how much forethought you have.

I know that incident probably doesn't sound like much, but honestly it was I think a bit more embarrassing than maybe I'm getting across.  I and someone I know were on a trip and had been invited out with strangers and we had a whole crowd around us, and when I was asked what I wanted to drink no kidding they were all silent and watching me.  So when I said I didn't it was like one of those scenes out of a movie where the music just screeches to a halt and everyone turns to look at someone...even the person with me thought it was awkward.  I wouldn't really care that much about that particular incident as this wasn't where I live but as I'd like to go back there if at all possible and it's very likely I'll run into some of these people again and they'll remember me then I do start to regret coming across in ways that make me look bad.

Much worse though are other situations where it comes across like I'm being very insensitive..like one acquaintance whom I was speaking with I said something to about someone they knew who had died, having totally forgotten they weren't even alive anymore.  She was pretty shocked I couldn't remember that.  Or situations where I can't think ahead and in not being able to do that I come across as extremely, extremely confused to a point that it's very likely they think I either have some kind of problem or, that I'm just not very bright.  I mean I've said things without thinking that make me look like I have some sort of severe disability...in acute withdrawal for instance at one point I couldn't even remember that a noise in my house was the coffee machine running.  There have been points I couldn't recall how old I am, at any given moment I could say forget like cousin's last names or things I really ought to know...how many kids a friend has... This is like basic stuff and I can't manage it at times, and if at all possible I'd rather not let on that that is happening.  But if you can't think before you speak...

And then there are troubles when you go to find a word to say and you can't recall it...that can be awkward too.  Especially if you can't come up with a reason why you are struggling so hard..I used to say I was just tired or make a general "oh brain fog" comment that was said in a lighthearted way that people thought was a joke...but I really did mean it...they just couldn't tell from my tone of voice.   But now I won' t even remember to even give an excuse at times.  I couldn't even think of one at times if I wanted to.

And then having a long conversation can be next to impossible.  I can't remember what I have and haven't said already and as I can't think before I speak I can just be repeating myself.  That's very worrying. Not to even be able to roughly plan out what you will say so that it makes basic sense is very trying. 

You might as well try and relax, be yourself, whoever you are at the moment and have a good time. You are able to go out, socialize and meet new people, I'm still waiting to be able to do those things again.

I am sorry you can't get out at all.  I don't know where you are in your recovery but I actually am not in a great place to do this either.  Sure it is possible, whereas before I had akathisia and other issues that made it impossible basically.  But had I not had someone come with me on this trip I wouldn't have been there.  Cognitive problems still remain a huge issue for me.  I do tend to be more relaxed too, it isn't so much stress that is causing me not to think..i just..don't think ahead.  Maybe because I'm often fatigued? I just don't have the energy for it maybe?

I have great difficulty planning things, even simple things...It's like there's a wall between me and my future.

I completely get this feeling of there being a wall between now and the future. I try to plan things, make schedules, like I used to, but it no longer works, unless I absolutely have to do something, more often than not, I wont do what I had planned at that specific time, but it usually gets done eventually. If someone else is involved, I'll stick to plans, but for myself, I only seem to function now by living spontaneously.

You know what is strange?  It feels like there's a wall blocking my future, but there are several bricks I can take out of the wall at will if I want to project a negative disastrous withdrawal-related future.  Makes no sense lol.

I wish there was something I could suggest US. If its cognitive impairment, then I guess it will recover along with all the other symptoms in time. Acceptance of ourselves and current limitations provides a better healing environment.

I am trying to accept this trouble is the cognitive issues in some ways seem to be getting worse more recently. And I can't afford for that to happen.

I am not a medical professional and nothing I say is a medical opinion or meant to be medical advice, please seek a competent and trusted medical professional to consult for all medical decisions.

• Moderator Emeritus

Thanks for expanding on that US. There's no denying that the cognitive issues caused by withdrawal can cause a variety of problems with functioning in life.  I wonder how others deal with this.

What I see might be happening is that previously, you weren't doing as much as you are now, not having as many interactions with other people, so the cognitive impairments might not have been so noticeable, you weren't in positions to have to think ahead as often.

You're obviously recovering, because you are able to do more, but the increased activity and cognitive demands may be causing some fatigue, which would further limit your ability to think ahead. Recovery is a slow journey, so maybe pace yourself.

I've got no suggestions from personal experience because my life is still rather limited. Almost everyone I have any contact with knows the truth about what I'm going through, so I don't have the stress of having to appear any different than how I am. I can interact and socialize with strangers for short periods when I have a window, or am feeling slightly better, but my energy is limited so I don't push myself to do more, I'm learning this the hard way. When I overdo things, I usually crash badly over the next day or two.

During my time here on the site, reading through lots of introduction threads, I've noticed many people having these kinds of problems as they are recovering, I think its one of the main reasons socializing can suddenly feel so difficult because we don't have our former social skills available to us, not all the time anyway. They are probably one of our non-essential sub-systems which get shut down so our energy can be used for more important repair work.

Its still very difficult to realize how impaired I actually am at times. But I do believe that given enough time, most of us recover and regain our previous level of functioning, or close to it depending on age.

I'm not a doctor.  My comments are not medical advise. These are my opinions based on my own experience and what I've learned. Please discuss your situation with a medical practitioner who has knowledge of tapering and withdrawal...if you are lucky enough to find one.

My Introduction Thread

Brief Summary

Several SSRIs for 13 years starting 1997 (for mild to moderate partly situational anxiety) Xanax PRN ~ Various other drugs over the years for side effects

Short acute withdrawal, followed by 2 -3 months of improvement then delayed protracted withdrawal

DX ADHD followed by several years of stimulants and other drugs trying to manage increasing symptoms

May 2013 Found SA, learned about withdrawal, stopped taking drugs...healing begins.

Protracted withdrawal, with a very sensitized nervous system, slowly recovering as time passes

April 2018 - No windows, but significant improvement, it feels like permanent full recovery is close.

• 2 weeks later...

I too have poor memory and barely speak

May 2012 Olanzapine and other anti depressants. Don't know what they were.  Sertraline, Flupentixol, Sodium Valporate, Depixol, Lithium, Piportal, Mirtazapine, Lamotrogine, Venlafaxine, Respirodol ECT x 7. Don't know the dates of any of these medications because I can't remember and I have no idea of the doses either. Am no longer on any meds. Take Cod liver oil, Omega 3, B1, Sepia. Still in rehab under section 3 in the UK.   I have access to my phone and the house phone and email.

Symptoms 110bpm, memory loss, severe anhedonia, no motivation, poor sleep, loss of hobbies and interests including music.  Things that have come back are appetite and feeling the cold and my muscles.

Nothings gonna hurt me with my eyes shut, I can see through them, I can see through them - Years and Years 2015

I also have many cognitive problems, helped me play mind games, puzzles, mind games brain training type, there are sites like cognifit.com and webs of mind games with many games. After 1-2 months playing every day I started to notice significant changes in my cognitive functions for the better, but I'm still troubled, but are rather milder.

You can do many things to improve, learn new things to stimulate the brain, things I've never done before, things that are stimulating and motivating, you are the more you can do for yourself, you should find something to improve.

Also try to combine this physical exercise, this demonstrated that physical exercise improves cognitive function, besides to help him recover and eliminate all drug from the body.

olanzapine, abilify, akineton, 2,5 years ON, 9months OFF. 

recovering good.

Thanks for expanding on that US. There's no denying that the cognitive issues caused by withdrawal can cause a variety of problems with functioning in life.  I wonder how others deal with this.

What I see might be happening is that previously, you weren't doing as much as you are now, not having as many interactions with other people, so the cognitive impairments might not have been so noticeable, you weren't in positions to have to think ahead as often.

You're obviously recovering, because you are able to do more, but the increased activity and cognitive demands may be causing some fatigue, which would further limit your ability to think ahead. Recovery is a slow journey, so maybe pace yourself.

I've got no suggestions from personal experience because my life is still rather limited. Almost everyone I have any contact with knows the truth about what I'm going through, so I don't have the stress of having to appear any different than how I am. I can interact and socialize with strangers for short periods when I have a window, or am feeling slightly better, but my energy is limited so I don't push myself to do more, I'm learning this the hard way. When I overdo things, I usually crash badly over the next day or two.

During my time here on the site, reading through lots of introduction threads, I've noticed many people having these kinds of problems as they are recovering, I think its one of the main reasons socializing can suddenly feel so difficult because we don't have our former social skills available to us, not all the time anyway. They are probably one of our non-essential sub-systems which get shut down so our energy can be used for more important repair work.

Its still very difficult to realize how impaired I actually am at times. But I do believe that given enough time, most of us recover and regain our previous level of functioning, or close to it depending on age.

Thank you Petu for such a thorough reply.  I'm more spaced out than usual today but wanted to acknowledge your response.  I do believe you are correct, going out with people (and also into a new environment) very much highlighted my withdrawal-related difficulties.  It was a bit shocking to realize how bad it is, still (though I have had massive improvements, of course, like recovering fully from akathisia.)

I'm sorry too you are so limited still.  I guess in that regard perhaps I may provide a bit of hope to you in that, I have recovered partly and my drug situation was an utter mess.  So there is hope for you as well I would think!

I am not a medical professional and nothing I say is a medical opinion or meant to be medical advice, please seek a competent and trusted medical professional to consult for all medical decisions.

I too have poor memory and barely speak

Hi Destroyed,

How bad is your memory?  I had a long period where I could barely talk at all thanks to withdrawal, that has thankfully ended--is that what is going on for you? 

Now it's more a matter of saying the wrong thing, or not finding exactly what I want to say.  It was way worse though before, so there is some improvement to be had...I hope your situation is not as bad as mine was.  Though it sounds like you were put on way too many drugs...then again so was I.

I also have many cognitive problems, helped me play mind games, puzzles, mind games brain training type, there are sites like cognifit.com and webs of mind games with many games. After 1-2 months playing every day I started to notice significant changes in my cognitive functions for the better, but I'm still troubled, but are rather milder.

You can do many things to improve, learn new things to stimulate the brain, things I've never done before, things that are stimulating and motivating, you are the more you can do for yourself, you should find something to improve.

Also try to combine this physical exercise, this demonstrated that physical exercise improves cognitive function, besides to help him recover and eliminate all drug from the body.

Thanks kup, I will have to check that website out.  My eyes have been bothering me so I'm not sure how long I can manage games online like this but, I may as well try. 

I also have some cognitive problems due withdrawal. I'm very slow reader now and cannot multitask at all. I love doing puzzels of 1000 pieces and i think they are good exercise helping me to forget this hole withdrawal hell for a moment. 

Citalopram 40mg from 2003-2015

Jan 2015 started tapering first dropped to 35mgFeb 30mg, March 25mgApril 20mg, May 17,5mg, June 15mgJuly 12,5mg, Aug 12,5mg,

Sep 0mg for 5 days because of stomac flu and after I raised to 7,5mg. All the symptoms of acute WD shaking, diarrhea, vomiting, barely could walk ect. Still didn't realize that it wasn't only stomac flu but I was also going through WD.

Oct 2,5mg and crashed again badly and quickly raised to 4mg. It was then when I knew my symptoms were due to WD.

Then in November after a month holding on 4mg raised to 5mg due to muscle weakness and had a VERY BAD reaction to reinstatement: akathisia(lasted for one or two weeks), insomnia, anhedonia... Drop quicly back to 4mg, Dec 3mg

Jan 2016 2,6mg( in the middle of Jan after I had been on 2,6mg for a week I tried to updose to 2,8mg and immediately had bad reaction to it: akathisia for a day, andehonia got worse. The next day dropped back to 2,6mg), Feb 2,4mg( a new symptom PGAD lasted 24/7 for 2 months after that on and off), March 2,4mg, April 2,3mg, May 2,2mg, June 2,1mg, July 2,0mg( Pgad almost nonexisting, sleeping pretty good, still some anhedonia but there has been a lot of gradual progress), Aug 1,97mg-1,89mg, Sep 1,88mg-1,49mg, Oct 1,48mg- 1,70mg,

Nov 0,65mg- current dose 0,5mg

• Moderator Emeritus

Welcome Webhead,

These symptoms tend to improve over time as people recover. What medications were/are you taking? Please would you start a topic for yourself in the introductions/update forum so we can get to know you and your situation, and perhaps offer some suggestions.

My Introduction Thread

Brief Summary

deep relaxation best thing I can think of and it still comes and goes for me any other drug use can make it come back huge...

For those who like to look around at things there is this post... about MDMA some say it is the same as Effexor except dose and the fact Effexor is taken every day... often with other drugs added.... bit interesting...

This sounds like me bit it is hit and miss:

This was an exceptional case. His long- term memory was fine but he could not remember day to day things - the time, the day, what was in his supermarket trolley," said Dr Kouimtsidis. "More worryingly, he did not seem aware himself that he had these memory problems."

With no mental illness in his family and no prior psychiatric history, the doctors concluded that his unique condition was direct result of his intense ecstasy use.

"This is obviously an extreme case so we should not blow any observations out of proportion," says Dr Kouimtsidis. "But if this is what is happening to very heavy users, it might be an indication that daily use of ecstasy over a long period of time can lead to irreversible memory problems and other cognitive deficits."

For 10 years, MDMA has been suspected of causing these kinds of effects in heavy users. It is thought to be due to its disruption of the regulation of serotonin, a brain chemical believed to play a role in mood and memory. It remains unclear whether these effects are the result of permanent neurotoxic damage or just temporary reversible alterations in the brain.

A special two-part MDMA study in recent issues of the Journal of Psychopharmacology (available online at sagepub), suggests long-term side-effects may be temporary. The researchers from the University Of Louisiana could find no significant relationship between depression and recreational ecstasy use.

Advertisement

In the case of Mr A, a structural MRI brain scan failed to show any obvious damage or atrophy in his brain. However, these results, says Dr Kouimtsidis, are difficult to interpret. "A scan of this type is not sensitive enough," he said.

Such limitations in brain scanning technology, along with ethical and legal barriers to giving MDMA to human test subjects, have limited direct observation of the drug's effects in humans.

the rest is here

http://www.theguardian.com/society/2006/apr/04/drugsandalcohol.drugs1

I got the link looking at this illegal drug website here

http://www.bluelight.org/vb/threads/529713-MDMA-brain-damage

WARNING THIS WILL BE LONG
Had a car accident in 85
Codeine was the pain med when I was release from hosp continuous use till 89
Given PROZAC by a specialist to help with nerve pain in my leg 89-90 not sure which year
Was not told a thing about it being a psych med thought it was a pain killer no info about psych side effects I went nuts had hallucinations. As I had a head injury and was diagnosed with a concussion in 85 I was sent to a head injury clinic in 1990 five years after the accident. I don't think they knew I had been on prozac I did not think it a big deal and never did finish the bottle of pills. I had tests of course lots of them. Was put into a pain clinic and given amitriptyline which stopped the withdrawal but had many side effects. But I could sleep something I had not done in a very long time the pain lessened. My mother got cancer in 94 they switched my meds to Zoloft to help deal with this pressure as I was her main care giver she died in 96. I stopped zoloft in 96 had withdrawal was put on paxil went nutty quit it ct put on resperidol quit it ct had withdrawal was put on Effexor... 2years later celexa was added 20mg then increased to 40mg huge personality change went wild. Did too fast taper off Celexa 05 as I felt unwell for a long time prior... quit Effexor 150mg ct 07 found ****** 8 months into withdrawal learned some things was banned from there in 08 have kept learning since. there is really not enough room here to put my history but I have a lot of opinions about a lot of things especially any of the drugs mentioned above.
One thing I would like to add here is this tidbit ALL OPIATES INCREASE SEROTONIN it is not a huge jump to being in chronic pain to being put on an ssri/snri and opiates will affect your antidepressants and your thinking.

As I do not update much I will put my quit date Nov. 17 2007 I quit Effexor cold turkey. 

http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/1096-introducing-myself-btdt/

There is a crack in everything ..That's how the light gets in :)

Does anyone else have giants gaps in their memory? Most of what I've read from SSRI users, I believe, is short term memory problems (I have that too) but I have almost no memory of my entire life.

I've always had a bad memory. When I was a teen or in my early twenties, I couldn't remember anything before 13 years old. I used to think some trauma must have happened but I highly doubt it now. But now I can't remember hardly anything of my life. When I read people's stories that have had ECT, I can relate. It's like someone has erased years of my past and I only have very tiny glimpses. It makes it hard to feel like a normal human. I can barely hold a conversation, I have so little to share.

I wonder if this has more to do with the 8 years I took Lamictal than with SSRI's. Unfortunatly, when I try to look into the issue, I mostly come up with patients questioning and not getting real answers.

I do remember my life in episodes, but after quitting ssri my memory is very bad. i can forget things ive done in a day and sometimes everything goes totally black, I had many periods in the early w/d were I completly lost my memory and I got so scared. Iam much improved now

NORX

If you have to take drugs that affect your brain do the memory issues come back?

Had a car accident in 85
Given PROZAC by a specialist to help with nerve pain in my leg 89-90 not sure which year
Was not told a thing about it being a psych med thought it was a pain killer no info about psych side effects I went nuts had hallucinations. As I had a head injury and was diagnosed with a concussion in 85 I was sent to a head injury clinic in 1990 five years after the accident. I don't think they knew I had been on prozac I did not think it a big deal and never did finish the bottle of pills. I had tests of course lots of them. Was put into a pain clinic and given amitriptyline which stopped the withdrawal but had many side effects. But I could sleep something I had not done in a very long time the pain lessened. My mother got cancer in 94 they switched my meds to Zoloft to help deal with this pressure as I was her main care giver she died in 96. I stopped zoloft in 96 had withdrawal was put on paxil went nutty quit it ct put on resperidol quit it ct had withdrawal was put on Effexor... 2years later celexa was added 20mg then increased to 40mg huge personality change went wild. Did too fast taper off Celexa 05 as I felt unwell for a long time prior... quit Effexor 150mg ct 07 found ****** 8 months into withdrawal learned some things was banned from there in 08 have kept learning since. there is really not enough room here to put my history but I have a lot of opinions about a lot of things especially any of the drugs mentioned above.
One thing I would like to add here is this tidbit ALL OPIATES INCREASE SEROTONIN it is not a huge jump to being in chronic pain to being put on an ssri/snri and opiates will affect your antidepressants and your thinking.

As I do not update much I will put my quit date Nov. 17 2007 I quit Effexor cold turkey. 

http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/1096-introducing-myself-btdt/

• 3 months later...

I'm havin tons of memory problems! Did anyone else have this at   5 yrs off since  I cold turkeyed, I read things all the  time  and can't recall things short or long term, anyone else havng memory problems at  yrs off?j

Hi NorthAlabama25

I've noticed that my memory and retention has been suffering a while, I wondered if long term antidepressant use makes us more susceptible to memory problems during and after.

Yes, so im having memory problems as well.

In 2001 - started on Carbamezapine (can't remember dose), Fluoexitine 20mg, Clanozepam (low dose) after a nervous breakdown.

In 2004 - abruptly stopped carbamezapine after falling pregnant.  

In 2009 - changed from Fluoexitine to Citalopram 20mg.

In 2014 - tappered off clanozepam.

In Aug 2015 - cold turkey off Citalopram :o

From Aug - Dec 2015 I had mostly flu-like symptoms and trouble sleeping. From Jan - April 2016 Emotional nightmare ensued, paranoia, excessive anxiety and tormenting thoughts, basically trying to manage these emotions and thoughts which are exhausting.  Lots of intense emotions followed by tears, at times howling when Im alone.In March 2016 I tried Choline & Inisitol, Vit B Complex, Using Aromatherapy, like Lavendar, Clary Sage and others.

In April STOPPED Choline & Inositol as I beleive it was giving me shakes and making me more anxious.  It also made me feel like i'd taken a benzo tablet making me feel sedated.  Reading - The Body Keeps Score by Bessel Van Der Kolk (recommended by a member on this group).

Symptoms - extreme low self esteem and insecurity, intense emotions and tearfulness. This is so so hard.  But im going to keep pushing.  Feel bad for my 2 girls and husband.  I don't want to be seen in this way, especially by the girls. Self-help : praying, meditating, breathing exercises and physical exercises.

Ceterizine (antihistamine) - I've been taking this for many years now for itchiness in my palms and feet.  I take them as and when I need them. JULY 2016 Dr Bach homeopathic remedies and 'rescue remedy'

Yes I have definitely experienced memory problems.

I am just praying it doesn't affect my ability to hold down a job - will be keeping a large stack of note paper by the computer.

Dose History: 19 Feb 2014 - Escitalopram 10mg daily June 2015 - Started taper, 5mg every other day July 2015 - 5mg every 2 days August 2015 - 5mg every 3 days September 2015 - 5mg every 4 days Sept 14th - Completed tapering, but at 7 weeks "drug free" I suffered serious WD symptoms as a consequence of "incorrect" tapering. Nov 25 2015 - Re-instated Cipralex @ 2.5mg daily. WD symptoms faded. Held at this dose and experienced "windows and waves". 12 Oct 2017 Reduced dose to 1.25mg. 13 Mar 2018 Reduced dose to 0.625mg (approx.). 16 April 2018 0mg. Windows and waves triggered by stress (IBS/reflux, headaches, sinus issues) Aug 2019 Mirena coil fitted 6 Jan 2020 MAJOR Wave hit 19 months following last dose (protracted WD).  Symptoms listed below Mar 2020 Mirena coil removal.

Therapy: Nov 15th 2016 Re-started therapy Jan 19th 2017 Started CBT Dec 2017 Started listening to Hypnotherapy CD (self-esteem). Nov 2019 Started couples therapy.

Supplements: "Bioglan" Biotic Balance Ultimate Flora 10 billion CFU, live Bacteria, Probiotic, suitable for Vegetarians, with Lactobacillus Acidophilus, Lactobacillus Rhamnosus, Bifidobacterium Longum"Pukka" Vitalise a unique blend of 30 energising botanicals.

Diet: 16 April 2018 Detox cleanse / anti-candida for 90 days. Jan 2020 Started "small plate" diet (i.e child size portions).

Exercise: Stretching, Yoga, Pilates, Spinning, Elliptical/upper body workout, walking.

Medical Test Results: 4 Jan 2017 Homeopathic Treatment starts 24 Feb 2017 Started weight loss program 24 Mar 2017 Naturopathic Treatment + anti-Candida diet started due to suspected Candida Related Complex (CRC). DETOXED for 7 weeks to "re-set" gut. April 2017 "Genova Diagnostics" Comprehensive Stool Analysis NEGATIVE; Full Blood Count (Normal) / Blood Cholesterol: 5.6 (Borderline) / Blood Sugar (Normal) / 28 Jun 2017 FSH 8.2 / 14 Nov 2017 FSH 17.7 Dec 2017 Blood Cholesterol: 3.9 (Normal) / Kidney Function (Normal) / Blood Sugar (Normal). December 2017 "Genova Diagnostics" Food panel allergy (bloodwork) analysis - a few "VERY LOW/VL" allergens; Mar 2018 "Genova Diagnostics" SIBO urine analysis: High Level of Yeast/fungal markers found in small intestine but NO SIBO.  April 2018 Thyroid (Normal) / Full Blood Count (Normal) / FSH (Normal). 16 April 2018 Started anti-Candida diet - 3 month protocol.   25 March 2020 All test results "Normal". CRP" 5 mg/L (normal range to 0-5 mg/L).

Symptoms:  Flu-like symptoms, anxiety, anhedonia, sinus headaches right-side (severe), IBS issues/reflux (severe)**, tinnitus, fatigue, inner tremor, nausea, chills/hot flushes, pounding heart, muscular issues including stiff left hip flexor, intense anger, PSSD (ongoing).  **Histhamine intolerance (suspected).

Major Life Events: 

Re-located to UK from Canada: Jan 2016

My father died: 5:05pm, Monday 5 Feb 2018 Last Lexapro dose: 16 April 2018 (its now been over a year since I quit ADs)  Moved house: Friday 23rd February 2018  "Divorced" toxic Mother: Monday 26 March 2018 Starting working again: 19 November 2018  Diagnosed with: 5th August 2021 PTSD/C-PTSD Diagnosed with: March 2022 Interstitial Cystitis (IC)/Painful bladder syndrome

• Moderator Emeritus

I'm only 11 months off a cocktail of 6 drugs, but my memory was definitely affected. It's slowly getting better but in waves, it's still difficult to remember things and to learn. 

NorthAlabama, I read in a previous post you made in the Intro section that you came off both a benzo and an AD cold turkey. Benzos are notorious for causing memory problems as well as AD's, so I do think it's possible it's coming from your cold turkey.

Benzos (and possibly AD's) can cause something called anterograde amnesia:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anterograde_amnesia

Have you seem any improvements at all in the past 5 years? I found that my spacial memory came back first, and now my ability to learn is starting to return, but it's slow going. 

Like junglechicken, I use note paper. I also use Google maps on my cell phone for directions when necessary and have my gmail calendar set up to email me reminders of things I need to do throughout the day. It really is exhausting dealing with this, but over time, it's getting better. 

I'm only 11 months off a cocktail of 6 drugs, but my memory was definitely affected. It's slowly getting better but in waves, it's still difficult to remember things and to learn. 

Hi Shep

You have done really well. :) 6 drugs!! That sounds like you have been through a tough time.  Congratulations.  Are you taking any suppliments or natural products at the moment?

In 2001 - started on Carbamezapine (can't remember dose), Fluoexitine 20mg, Clanozepam (low dose) after a nervous breakdown.

From Aug - Dec 2015 I had mostly flu-like symptoms and trouble sleeping. From Jan - April 2016 Emotional nightmare ensued, paranoia, excessive anxiety and tormenting thoughts, basically trying to manage these emotions and thoughts which are exhausting.  Lots of intense emotions followed by tears, at times howling when Im alone.In March 2016 I tried Choline & Inisitol, Vit B Complex, Using Aromatherapy, like Lavendar, Clary Sage and others.

In April STOPPED Choline & Inositol as I beleive it was giving me shakes and making me more anxious.  It also made me feel like i'd taken a benzo tablet making me feel sedated.  Reading - The Body Keeps Score by Bessel Van Der Kolk (recommended by a member on this group).

Symptoms - extreme low self esteem and insecurity, intense emotions and tearfulness. This is so so hard.  But im going to keep pushing.  Feel bad for my 2 girls and husband.  I don't want to be seen in this way, especially by the girls. Self-help : praying, meditating, breathing exercises and physical exercises.

Ceterizine (antihistamine) - I've been taking this for many years now for itchiness in my palms and feet.  I take them as and when I need them. JULY 2016 Dr Bach homeopathic remedies and 'rescue remedy'

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi Shep

You have done really well. :) 6 drugs!! That sounds like you have been through a tough time.  Congratulations.  Are you taking any suppliments or natural products at the moment?

Thanks MaryDavid. Yes, it was really rough and I still struggle, but it's getting better.

I stayed away from all supplements until a few weeks ago. I started using epsom salts in a nightly bath to get magnesium. And I use 1 mg of melatonin for sleep. I also added fish into my previously all-vegetarian diet, which is helping with Omega 3. That's supposed to help with memory problems. I really didn't notice that it did that, but it really helped with fatigue, so obviously I was missing out on something. 

I've been researching these over on the Symptoms and Self-care  and I'm finding a ton of non-drug ways of handling life. Please research any and all supplements before using them because not everyone does well on them. Sometimes they can cause a paradoxical reaction which will make your recovery much harder. 

I've noticed the more I can get my insomnia under control, the easier everything else is, including memory problems. 

Hi Shep

Thanks MaryDavid. Yes, it was really rough and I still struggle, but it's getting better.

I stayed away from all supplements until a few weeks ago. I started using epsom salts in a nightly bath to get magnesium. And I use 1 mg of melatonin for sleep. I also added fish into my previously all-vegetarian diet, which is helping with Omega 3. That's supposed to help with memory problems. I really didn't notice that it did that, but it really helped with fatigue, so obviously I was missing out on something. 

I've been researching these over on the Symptoms and Self-care  and I'm finding a ton of non-drug ways of handling life. Please research any and all supplements before using them because not everyone does well on them. Sometimes they can cause a paradoxical reaction which will make your recovery much harder. 

I've noticed the more I can get my insomnia under control, the easier everything else is, including memory problems. 

Thanks Shep, your advice is greatly appreciated.  Yes insomnia seems to be a biggy.

I am ~25 months out from Effexor. I've always felt kind of scatterbrained but since quitting Effexor things haven't been the same. 

I used to love programming and learning new stuff. I would spend hours working on some personal project and it would really get my mind going. Now everything feels dull. 

Nothing ever really catches my interest now days and if I try to focus on something my brain just feels heavy and a sense of pressure builds up in my scull.

Can anyone relate to this feeling and if so have you noticed any improvements over time?

Effexor 150mg July 2011 - March 2014

I can relate... I am still wanting to know how to heal this that usually will interest me.... unless I am flat out in bed. Your only two years in things can change yet...be very careful what other drugs or chemicals your around is what I suggest for now. 

Some of us have a chemical sensitivity I do and I notice I get worse with chemicals stay away from them as much as you can even shampoo fragrance in soaps and cosmetics it may be helpful... I can't say for sure you may be nothing like me.. it took me a long time to figure this out... Id id not clue in until I was having really bad reactions but now think I had been affected a long time to a lesser extent and did not join the dots.  It can't hurt to try. 

Some things I look for unscented and even some unscented products bother me I am going to try making my own cleaning and personal care products so I can control what goes into them.  

It may not help you but it won't hurt you... 

peace

Had a car accident in 85

• 3 weeks later...

Anyone feel like work-related cognitive tasks that used to be easy and were carried out instinctively became things that have to be reviewed constantly to remember how to do in withdrawal? I used to be able to relay the features of a home equity line or a mortgage and the mechanics of its repayment schedule to a customer without a second thought and with complete conviction in everything I was saying. 6 months off Lexapro coupled with some experimentation of other SSRIs to ease withdrawal (to no avail) has rendered me incapable of relaying and even understanding this information without studying the information two hours nightly. Again this is something I've been doing for years with relative ease. It's almost like dementia, I'm 23 and I feel like I'm slowly forgetting how to do the things I've done forever. I feel like I have to relearn how my company's products work almost weekly in order to do my job well enough to keep it. So frustrating...hoping I can just let my brain stabilize in time and my ability to understand basic things will come back. I'd say if you're in withdrawal, don't try to use another med to fix it, my brain fog was manageable and I tried Brintellix in an effort to curb the anxiety, it increased the brain fog ten fold and now I'm off Brintellix and I'm not even back where I was after my rapid taper of Lexapro.

I should add... some things I've been doing to help it include 3000mg of Wiley's fish oil per day as well as village vitality B Food supplements (just concentrated whole foods full of B vitamins, no chemicals), I'm running daily about 3 miles and trying to sleep as much as I can. I'm also drinking tons of herbal tea, mainly Turmeric based. Don't know if any of this is helping but feel like I've got the right mindset despite lack of improvement.

Shep gave me some great tips for managing these issues at work to help in the mean time, iCal alerts have been a godsend.

Had health anxiety / hypochondriacal OCD leading to depression most of my adolescent life continuing on into adulthood

Started Lexapro 10mg in college, worked well for 3 yrs. Last two years had spontaneous and random instances of language comprehension problems. Happened once every couple months and then increased frequency. Felt that it was the meds so I quit almost CT. SE whole time on drug: severe acne, poor sexual function, irritability, impatience.

10mg Lexapro (1 year) > 20mg 22 months > 10mg 2 months > 3 week taper to 0mg

Adderall for last 4 weeks on Lexapro to offset cognitive issues.

Oct 15' - Feb 16' no APs WD: slow cognition, dp, dr, confusion, nightmares, no multitasking, speech expression and comprehension problems, joint crepitus/aches,, flu like symptoms, cont. sexual problems, problems with working memory.

Return of paranoia about terminal illnesses (original problem) tried Brintellix 10mg, helped mood and OCD, discont symptoms reduced. Still brain fog so after 1 month tried 20mg, kicked up cognition problems, acne, sweating, slow processing etc. went from 20mg straight back to 10mg overnight. Tapered off 10mg over 3 weeks. Spent 2.5 months total on Brint. Now severe concentration/comprehension problems, disc symptoms continued. Worried about losing job.

Can anyone relate?

Had health anxiety / hypochondriacal OCD leading to depression most of my adolescent life continuing on into adulthood

Started Lexapro 10mg in college, worked well for 3 yrs. Last two years had spontaneous and random instances of language comprehension problems. Happened once every couple months and then increased frequency. Felt that it was the meds so I quit almost CT. SE whole time on drug: severe acne, poor sexual function, irritability, impatience.

10mg Lexapro (1 year) > 20mg 22 months > 10mg 2 months > 3 week taper to 0mg

Adderall for last 4 weeks on Lexapro to offset cognitive issues.

Oct 15' - Feb 16' no APs WD: slow cognition, dp, dr, confusion, nightmares, no multitasking, speech expression and comprehension problems, joint crepitus/aches,, flu like symptoms, cont. sexual problems, problems with working memory.

Return of paranoia about terminal illnesses (original problem) tried Brintellix 10mg, helped mood and OCD, discont symptoms reduced. Still brain fog so after 1 month tried 20mg, kicked up cognition problems, acne, sweating, slow processing etc. went from 20mg straight back to 10mg overnight. Tapered off 10mg over 3 weeks. Spent 2.5 months total on Brint. Now severe concentration/comprehension problems, disc symptoms continued. Worried about losing job.

Can anyone relate?

Absolutely. I'm in IT myself and have been using computers for a looong time. Things seem so foreign to me now - can't really connect to anything in the same way.

Effexor 150mg July 2011 - March 2014

For a time I could not log into my email... 

a person watching asked if I forgot my password I said no I can't write my name... ya messed up maybe that is why it is taking me so long to get over this that and age and long term use with many stops and starts on many drugs... I am basically the text book for things not to do on ADs... 

so don't take it as something you will have to deal with to the extent I am have dealt I pain for every bit of this over 18 years of drug use... in other words I earned it... 

keep it low keep it slow keep it simple and when you done with this crap don't ever go back ... I doubt I had to say that list bit

peace

Had a car accident in 85

• 1 month later...

I don't know what to call this so I made up my own language as to what seems to describe what I am experiencing... I don't know if there is a different term for it I will be glad to have any of you point me in the proper already established terminology. 

I have had many things in the past including jerking shaking memory issues and body contraction.. different muscles contract and will not release for long periods of time.. my one foot was contracted and though it is less it never went away I still have problems with one calf and foot..pain spasms ect.. it has never completely let go of the contraction it had years ago. 

Lately i have had more severe issues with memory it has lasted a long time this time and has been while it may not be any more severe than it has been in the past the trouble it has caused me because it is staying this time .. is greater.  I could not sort out a bus route given an entire morning of trying and became defeated by the process... gave up and went to bed. 

Later in the day I could not recall how my purse got to a place I did not recall putting it... and it bothered me so much not being able to recall that I went into a fit of despair and suicidal thoughts came I said out loud to myself ...cowards would stay and live this out but I am not a coward... I was sitting on he floor at the time as I said that power surge went thru my body and my leg jerked high into the air scaring the crap out of the cat she jumped about 2 feet straight up... it was all a weird scene.  it was definitely an involuntary movement it was the most extreme to date.  

I decided it was time to try and figure out what his was as it is getting worse not better.. I took a day and stayed in to rest as I have been pushed a  lot lately to keep up with things I feel unable to do... find myself going to apts and coming home and falling into bed... or sleeping on the train... I am also dropping off to sleep at the drop of a hat for a few minutes I can sleep and wake up 3x during an one hour show.  I have had this before but it stopped now it is back along with more jerking of my leg and pain... in my leg and spine.. more memory issues in one day as it is one thing after another I mess up... it adds up and stresses me out... not being as functional as I need to be to rise to the demands being made on me.  Getting a sense I can't go on ending conversations and staying by myself as I don't have what it takes to deal with people.  

I have and am trying supplements to try and alleviate this as it has been too long this time... oddly after the power surge or release of energy yesterday I feel a bit better but it is too soon to know if there is an actual change or if the fact it put me to bed and stayed to rest is affecting me. 

One more thing I have new people living next door they smoke pot it comes in through my window... could it be that.. I close my window when I smell it.. I doubt it is that as I had all these things before just not all at once... it has increased in duration and severity now. 

Ok so what is this.. who knows.. what do I do about it?  

It is not just memory but cognitive problems yes you have seen me have this before I know I come here and don't make any sense .. it is worse.  It may be lifting now .. it does seem to come and go like windows and waves but it does not seem to be like what I have had in the past.. it is more extreme and longer lasting. Could it be wd this far out wd only should I be seeking a new neurologist as the I have vowed never to see the old one again. 

Had a car accident in 85

I am ~25 months out from Effexor. I've always felt kind of scatterbrained but since quitting Effexor things haven't been the same.

I used to love programming and learning new stuff. I would spend hours working on some personal project and it would really get my mind going. Now everything feels dull.

Nothing ever really catches my interest now days and if I try to focus on something my brain just feels heavy and a sense of pressure builds up in my scull.

Can anyone relate to this feeling and if so have you noticed any improvements over time?

I have this exact symptom!

Lexapro: started in 2002 at 10 mgs.

Ambien: started as a as needed sleep aid in 2010.

Quit Lexapro cold turkey in June 20015 due to contributing to low sodium issues.

Restarted Lexapro in late November for a week (only 5 mgs) but quit due to dizziness side effects. Side effects worsened for 3 weeks until

12/24/15: Protracted WD hit, experienced extreme anxiety, insomnia lack of full concentration and social challenges.

Reinstated Lexapro on 1/1/16 at 5 mgs. Increased per Dr to 7.5 MG. Tapered off Lexapro in March 2016.

Started 50MG of Seroquel in late January 2016 for bedtime to help in eliminate Ambien. Tapered off both Seroquel and Ambien in March 2016.

2/14/16: Prescribed both Remeron (15 MG) and Temazapam (15 MG) for sleep. Also use Klonopin and Ambien again in place of Temazapam to avoid addiction. However I did take Temazapam 60 straight days

6/15/16: Stopped use of all benzo's and now use Belsomra 1-2 times a week. Still on 15 MG of Remeron

10/11/16: Off all psych medications

After kindling, trying to regain my strength suffering from severe mental and physical fatigue.

• 1 month later...

Hi,

I know this is an old trail but wanted to see if anyone has had some good news on improvement on the cognitive front. I've been in a rut where my cognitive has actually declined during WD yet mood has improved. Reading and TV is challenging yet conversation flow is improving (with strangers too). I hope it's just a wave as my cognitive was already bad after my adverse reaction.

Lexapro: started in 2002 at 10 mgs.

Ambien: started as a as needed sleep aid in 2010.

Quit Lexapro cold turkey in June 20015 due to contributing to low sodium issues.

Restarted Lexapro in late November for a week (only 5 mgs) but quit due to dizziness side effects. Side effects worsened for 3 weeks until

12/24/15: Protracted WD hit, experienced extreme anxiety, insomnia lack of full concentration and social challenges.

Reinstated Lexapro on 1/1/16 at 5 mgs. Increased per Dr to 7.5 MG. Tapered off Lexapro in March 2016.

Started 50MG of Seroquel in late January 2016 for bedtime to help in eliminate Ambien. Tapered off both Seroquel and Ambien in March 2016.

2/14/16: Prescribed both Remeron (15 MG) and Temazapam (15 MG) for sleep. Also use Klonopin and Ambien again in place of Temazapam to avoid addiction. However I did take Temazapam 60 straight days

6/15/16: Stopped use of all benzo's and now use Belsomra 1-2 times a week. Still on 15 MG of Remeron

10/11/16: Off all psych medications

After kindling, trying to regain my strength suffering from severe mental and physical fatigue.

• 2 weeks later...

the brain fog that i'm curently experiencing is extremely difficult, i don't feel like myself and i dont' get any enjoyment out of anything, i can't read, think, concentrate and memory is for ****. getting through my health program this fall seems very unlikely the way i'm feeling. are there any supplements that can ease the process in terms of brain function? people here have recommended magnesium, is it possible this can help with brain fog (perhaps indirectly)? ginkgo biloba? anything? thanks everyone.

edit: just remembered mention of fish oil as another recommended supplement here, but for some reason the last time i tried fish oil i had several bad reactions such as worsening anxiety agitation and depression.

Edited by KarenB
moved from stand-alone thread

brief overview of med history: took some combination of AD, AAP and benzodiazepine for 7-8 years since '08. was treated for depression, anxiety, social anxiety and presumed personality disorder, along with presumed psychotic depression/schizoaffective disorder (depending on the time frame)

October to December 2015: started weaning self off Abilify after being on multiple AAPs for 7-8 years. was also taking Prozac and a benzo (either ativan or klonopin, can't remember)
January 2016: started weaning self off of benzo, was given Valium to make the process easier. also replaced prozac with Lexapro
May 2016: decided to come off Lexapro after being on ADs for 8 years.

have now gone through 2 1/2 months of SSRI withdrawal, although some of the symptoms might be attributatble to antipsychotic and benzo withdrawal as well

update: reinstated Prozac at 10mg August 15, 2016

You won't be the same as me jevang cos I was on PPI (Omeprazole) as well as AD for decades.

The best properly scientific way to see if you may have a deficiency is to have blood tests.  (Will not normally reveal Mg shortage, though.)

When you are ill, you can imagine all sorts of things are going on that might not be the reality.

My blood test revealed a shortage of Folic Acid and, indeed, I have felt considerably better since taking it.  The folic shortage may well have been due to my special circumstances (PPIs, e.g.) so don't assume that you should get that.

I would say, (but I bow to the greater experience of others on this forum) do the best thing to put your mind at rest and have the blood tests.

regards

Born 1945. 

1999 - First Effexor/Venlafaxine

2016 Withdrawal research. Effexor.  13Jul - 212.5mg;  6Aug - 200.0mg;  24Aug - 187.5mg;  13Sep - 175.0mg;  3Oct - 162.5mg;  26Oct - 150mg 

2017  9Jan - 150.00mg;  23Mar - 137.50mg;  24Apr - 125.00mg;  31May - 112.50mg holding;  3Sep - 100.00mg;  20Sep - 93.75mg;  20Oct - 87.5mg;  12Nov - 81.25mg;  13 Dec - 75.00mg

2018  18Jan - 69.1mg; 16Feb - 62.5mg; 16March - 57.5mg (-8%); 22Apr - 56.3mg(-2%); CRASHED - Updose 29May - 62.5mg; Updose - 1Jul - 75.0mg. Updose - 2Aug - 87.5mg. Updose - 27Aug - 100.0mg. Updose - 11Oct 112.5mg. Updose - 6Nov 125.00mg

2019 Updoses 19 Jan - 150.0mg. 1April - 162.5mg. 24 April - Feeling better - doing tasks, getting outside.  7 May - usual depression questionnaire gives "probably no depression" result.

Supps/Vits  Omega 3;  Chelated Magnesium;  Prebiotics/Probiotics, Vit D3. 

• Moderator Emeritus

jevang: The only supplements that we suggest generally are magnesium and omega 3 fish oil

Magnesium, nature's calcium channel blocker

Omega-3 fatty acids (fish oil)

We strongly encourage you to try these or any other supplement ONE AT A TIME when your symptoms are stable so that it's easier to identify the cause of any symptoms. Also, start with small amounts -- ¼ or ½ of the lowest amount recommended on the bottle -- and increase slowly.

Any improvements you see will be gradual over several weeks; overnight improvement is unlikely.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.
1997-1999 Effexor; 2002-2005 Effexor XR 37.5 mg linear taper, dropping same #beads/week with bad results

Cymbalta 60 mg 2012 - 2015; 2016: 20 mg to 7 mg exact doses and dates in this post; 2017: 6.3 mg to  0.0 mg  Aug. 12; details here

scallywag's Introduction
Online spreadsheet for dose taper calculations and nz11's THE WORKS spreadsheet

Phosphatidylserine, it is the one that helped me against stress and for a more clear mind. It also makes me feel more confident in general and I handle better with customers at work.

1999-Zyprexa 5 mg, then 10 mg until 2013,little Haldol for short;Zyprexa with on and off periods, horrid withdrawal and back on,sometimes added Escitalopram(Cipralex)20 mg;2013-Risperidone 3ml,Depakine 300 mg,Escitalopram 20 mg,Levomepromazine 1 mg;at need Clonazepam(Rivotril) 0,5 mg;october 2014-2015 Risperidone 3ml,Mirtazapine-7,5 mg,Escitalopram-20 mg;2015-Risperidone 2 ml,Mirtazapine-3,75 mg, Escitalopram- tapered during the year;

may 2015(started work)-added Clonazepam 0,5 mg every third day;december 2015-Risperidone 1,5 ml,Mirtazapine 3,75,Escitalopram 5 mg;Clonazepam-increased dosage to 2 mg;

December 2015 until January 2016 added Carbamazepine 600 mg and gave up Clonazepam until March 2016-Risperidone 1,35 ml, Mirtazapine 3,75 every second and third day(schedule of tapering),Escitalopram-0mg,Clonazepam for a week every third day, then reintroduced Carbamazepine 400 mg for a week, then stopped Carbamazepine.

Since the beginning of april 2016 taking Risperidone 1,30 ml, Mirtazapine 0 mg for five days, 1,87 mg for two days, then turned to 3,75 mg every night, Clonazepam 0,5 mg .

April 27 - upped Risperidone to 2 ml and Mirtazapine to 7,5 mg to bear with the lack of Escitalopram that caused huge anxiety, Clonazepam 1 mg every third day. May to November 2016: Risperidone 1,50 ml(tapering from 2ml, started the taper may 2016); Mirtazapine:3,75 mg(tapered from 7,5 mg, started the taper may 2016); Clonazepam 0 mg(started the taper from 0,33 mg daily).January 2017: Risperidone 1,40 ml(tapering every 4 weeks); Mirtazapine 3,75 mg(tapering to 1,87 mg), Clonazepam(10 days): 0,5mg-0,5mg-1 mg. 4 mg/day for 3 days.January 19: added 200 mg Carbamazepine/day(for 3 days), off Clonazepam.February 2017: Risperidone 1,35 ml; Mirtazapine 3,75 mg(1,87 mg 3 nights/week), Buspirone 2 x 5mg(3 days,then stopped), Clonazepam occasionally (every third day usually 0,5 mg or 1 mg,hopefully I will stop); March 24th 2017: Risperidone 1,35 ml; Mirtazapine 1,87 mg(0 mg every 3rd day); Anafranil 25 mg; Xanax 0,25 mg. April 18th 2017: Risperidone 1,30 ml; Mirtazapine 1,87 mg; Xanax 0,25 mg; Anafranil stop.May 6th 2017-present: Risperidone 1,30 ml.

Supplements: Omega 3,Magnesium, Lavender (occasionally), Pramiracetam, Choline, A combo of Lemon balm and St John's wort.

• Administrator

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

just tried one 120 mg dose of magnesium (several hours ago) - it seem to help take the edge off (placebo effect?). one question though, should i be concerned about developing tolerance? and if so should i take it only as needed rather than regularly? i have also read on webmd that doses higher than 350 mg may be unsafe, so i'm going to limit the dose to only twice a day max

brief overview of med history: took some combination of AD, AAP and benzodiazepine for 7-8 years since '08. was treated for depression, anxiety, social anxiety and presumed personality disorder, along with presumed psychotic depression/schizoaffective disorder (depending on the time frame)

October to December 2015: started weaning self off Abilify after being on multiple AAPs for 7-8 years. was also taking Prozac and a benzo (either ativan or klonopin, can't remember)
January 2016: started weaning self off of benzo, was given Valium to make the process easier. also replaced prozac with Lexapro

have now gone through 2 1/2 months of SSRI withdrawal, although some of the symptoms might be attributatble to antipsychotic and benzo withdrawal as well

• Moderator Emeritus

jevang, Neither tolerance nor addiction nor withdrawal are issues with respect to magnesium.  Please read the magnesium thread I linked above, or the topics on supplementation that Alto linked.

1997-1999 Effexor; 2002-2005 Effexor XR 37.5 mg linear taper, dropping same #beads/week with bad results

Cymbalta 60 mg 2012 - 2015; 2016: 20 mg to 7 mg exact doses and dates in this post; 2017: 6.3 mg to  0.0 mg  Aug. 12; details here

scallywag's Introduction
Online spreadsheet for dose taper calculations and nz11's THE WORKS spreadsheet

apologies if this has been covered elsewhere in the forum, i couldn't find anything close to what i was looking for after inputting the search terms "brain fog"

do people usually recover from brain fog when going through withdrawal? i am concerned that i won't be the same person when i'm through withdrawals - i'm unable to read and think, play music and go places in my head, it's terrible to not have this coping skill (maladaptive though it sometimes may be), like there's no richness to my life, i feel useless.  i know the desire and the curiosityis there but the ability (memory and concentration) is not, and it seems like this has gotten worse over time, but that may be a distorted thought due to withdrawal as has been mentioned before on this forum.

Important Information

Terms of Use Privacy Policy