peaceoutofchaos

peaceoutofchaos: Currently tapering Quetiapine/Seroquel

peaceoutofchaos

Hi everyone, I'm new here. I figured I needed some support through this journey of exploration. 

I am currently on 
- Quetiapine/Seroquel  300 mg XR and 25 IR (used to be 300 XR + 100 IR half a year ago, I've been on it, just like the other meds, for more than three years)

- Fluoxetine 40 mg 
- Dexamfetamine 3dd 10 mg 

I've been on psychotropic meds for 5 or 6 years now (I'm almost 21). I've been on different meds before this combination. The side-effect have taken it's toll on me (No matter how long I sleep, I wake up tired, tachycardia, tremors, constantly out of breath, I feel like an old lady) When I was prescribed my psych meds I was in a very bad place, I was suicidal. However,  I feel like most of the reason I was in a bad place was bc I was living at home. Things weren't going well there, and I've had depressed symptoms and an eating disorder that went unnoticed since I was 13. I've had many diagnosis, it started with adjustment disorder, ADHD and asperger, adjustment disorder changed to depression NOS, then came the borderline and eating disorder diagnosis and now I finally have a diagnosis of PTSD and major depression and ADHD (which I agree with). I was originally given the antipsychotic for my "autism and hypersensitivity". anyway the new psychiatrist just coppied that medicine regime and now I figured I'm done with it. It helped me through **** times, but I've been living in a different place for 2 years now and that allowed me to make some process. 

The whole tapering of Seroquel isn't going easy though. The first 50 mg (in 25mg per 3 months) gave me pretty bad anxiety. I lowered 25 mg again 4 days ago, I've been able to get the anxiety under control with magnesium (3 times a day, 600 mg in total). Beside the mental discontinuation problems, the first 2 days it made my tachycardia go haywire and my tremors go nuts. It was quite funny, but not if that will happen with every 25 mg decrease. 3 and 4 day I was nauseous, vitamin C, camille tea and lemon juice made it slightly better. 

Anyway, I'm thinking about lowering and eventually quitting (if possible and healthy for me) my other medication. Also, I wonder if it's best to take 200XR, 50 XR and 25 IR or 200 XR 50 IR and 25IR for example. I'm not sure about what's better. 

Anyway, I'm gonna keep you guys posted. Ask questions if you feel like it,

-E 

peaceoutofchaos

And I have to add the positives about the quetiapine dosage lowering: I already feel like I'm able to think a bit better again. I'm pretty clever but this stuff made my brain feel like a cloud of fog. And I feel like I'm able to handle the dosage lowering, I'm not anxious about it. I'm quite proud of myself for that, because 2 years ago I would have **** my pants. 

mammaP

Hi Peace, welcome to SA. Wow those numbers made my eyes :rolleyes:! I am not very good with numbers now but think I have it sussed now.

You are already suffering withdrawal, these drugs change the way your brain works. For years your brain has functioned and grown around the drugs. Your brain was still developing when they were first prescribed. They need to be sneaked away very slowly to allow your brain to adjust between drops. Pushing through withdrawal doesn't help, when your brain is struggling it needs time to catch up and that never happens when we try to push through. People always have to go back on, and often are given even more drugs and admitted to hospital, especially with antipsychotics.  

You are tapering less than 10% each time but are suffering withdrawal so I would go back to 300xr and 50 IR and hold there until you are stable again then make very small drops more often. We call this a mocro taper, it is gentler on the nervous system. 

Is there any reason why you wanted to taper seroquel first? When there are multiple drugs to taper we usually suggest tapering the antidepressant or stimulant first. you are taking 2 'accelerators' and 1 'brake'. Fluoxetine is activating and so is the dexamphetamine. Without seroquel your sleep will likely be affected. 

When did you develop ADHD? Often we find people are diagnosed with ADHD after being on psych drugs for a while. People develop new symptoms with each drug which are diagnosed as seperate 'disorders' but are actually side effects of the drugs!  There is no reason why you can't taper off all of them and be drug free. It will take time and patience but will be well worth it. 

It will help us if you can fill in your signature, the link will take you to the signature box in settings, we need drugs and doses with approximate start dates

http://survivingantidepressants.org/settings/signature/

I will get some links to topics for you, they will help you to understand the process better.  

Tapering multiple drugs, which one first?

http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/2207-taking-multiple-psych-drugs-taper-the-antidepressant-first/

Slowness of slow tapers. 

http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/2364-the-slowness-of-slow-tapers/

Tapering amphetamines

http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/8987-tips-for-tapering-off-adderall/

Tapering fluoxetine

http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/759-tips-for-tapering-off-prozac-fluoxetine/

Tapering Seroquel

http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/1707-tips-for-tapering-off-seroquel-quetiapine/

peaceoutofchaos

I am doing fine on the 325 mg right now, I woke up tired, but my body does what it needs to do. I'd rather not go back to 350 mg
I am thinking of tapering of to 300 mg in a month or so and then tapering the dexamfetamine and after that I'm just going to see whether I'm going to furter tape the Quetiapine or the fluoxetine. 

My question about the dosage was more in the sense that I wondered whether it's better to do the 275 and the 250 mg steps with 250mg as a XR or with 200mg with a XR. 
 I will fill my signature later today

peaceoutofchaos

And I did develop adhd before my meds

peaceoutofchaos

Update: I taked to my psychiatrist, she want me to keep taking the 25 mg IR tablet to make sure I don't get side effects in sleeping, but lower the XR by 50 mg (because that's the lowest dose I can get the XR in). I'm a bit worried about that, but luckily I still have another month on my current dosis. It seems to me like quite a big step to make. Any opinions? (and yes, I told her about the current withdrawl symptoms, but she says if I have them on 25 mg, I will probably have the same amount of symptoms lowering with 50 mg)

peaceoutofchaos

Hey everyone, I'm tapering quetiapine (last taper was 1 month ago, 350 to 325mg, I'm also on fluoxetine and dexamfetamine). I'm having a difficult time right now, basically feeling feelings of hopelessness, where when I started with the step down I felt really upbeat like I was getting somewhere. I hope it's just the withdrawl and not my actual depression getting back, but it's the same thing for now. I'm just at a crossroad, I don't have an education or work right now, but my talents are within the arts (digital and on canvas&paper), but that also means that getting a job isn't really do-able  (I'm quite intelligent, so simple jobs make my depression go haywire within a month, and actual jobs that I would like to do, like doing things on the side in medical field doesn't work with the fact that I only graduated from high-school and that my tiredness doesn't allow me to work full-time. Gettting a degree isn't very do-able either, I tried twice. ). I'm just really bored and hopeless I guess. Which makes it very difficult to find something productive to do, aka a negative spiral. Any emotional support would be great, 'cause right now I feel like I don't belong on this planet. 

powerback
17 hours ago, peaceoutofchaos said:

Hey everyone, I'm tapering quetiapine (last taper was 1 month ago, 350 to 325mg, I'm also on fluoxetine and dexamfetamine). I'm having a difficult time right now, basically feeling feelings of hopelessness, where when I started with the step down I felt really upbeat like I was getting somewhere. I hope it's just the withdrawl and not my actual depression getting back, but it's the same thing for now. I'm just at a crossroad, I don't have an education or work right now, but my talents are within the arts (digital and on canvas&paper), but that also means that getting a job isn't really do-able  (I'm quite intelligent, so simple jobs make my depression go haywire within a month, and actual jobs that I would like to do, like doing things on the side in medical field doesn't work with the fact that I only graduated from high-school and that my tiredness doesn't allow me to work full-time. Gettting a degree isn't very do-able either, I tried twice. ). I'm just really bored and hopeless I guess. Which makes it very difficult to find something productive to do, aka a negative spiral. Any emotional support would be great, 'cause right now I feel like I don't belong on this planet. 

This I very tricky and an impossible situation to be in ,I dont have any magic words for you ,a lot of us are in the same boat and threading water ,all I can really offer for know is solidarity in this terrible situation and dig deep and maybe stay away from any people that make you feel worse .

Also learn all the non drug techniques to cope .

Take care

PB 

mammaP

Hi Peace, I moved your latest post to your intro topic to keep your history in one place.  You need to hold off making any further changes until any withdrawal symptoms have subsided.  Feeling bored and helpless are common side effects of the drugs. Thankfully those side effects often lessen as the dose lowers. The awful truth is that many, many people are given psychotropic drugs to ease depression and anxiety but they dull everything so that people just can't focus on anythong or have the desire to do anything. Many who are working when they are prescribed end up not working and some never get back to work until they are off the drugs. A great book to read is 'Anatomy of an epidemic' by Robert Whitaker. Also 'Your drug may be your problem' by Dr Peter Breggin.   Also an excellent topic here is emotional spirals by out own Brassmonkey. 

peaceoutofchaos

Thank you everyone, I will read the things you suggested