peaceoutofchaos: Currently tapering Quetiapine/Seroquel

peaceoutofchaos

Hi everyone, I'm new here. I figured I needed some support through this journey of exploration. 

I am currently on 
- Quetiapine/Seroquel  300 mg XR and 25 IR (used to be 300 XR + 100 IR half a year ago, I've been on it, just like the other meds, for more than three years)

- Fluoxetine 40 mg 
- Dexamfetamine 3dd 10 mg 

I've been on psychotropic meds for 5 or 6 years now (I'm almost 21). I've been on different meds before this combination. The side-effect have taken it's toll on me (No matter how long I sleep, I wake up tired, tachycardia, tremors, constantly out of breath, I feel like an old lady) When I was prescribed my psych meds I was in a very bad place, I was suicidal. However,  I feel like most of the reason I was in a bad place was bc I was living at home. Things weren't going well there, and I've had depressed symptoms and an eating disorder that went unnoticed since I was 13. I've had many diagnosis, it started with adjustment disorder, ADHD and asperger, adjustment disorder changed to depression NOS, then came the borderline and eating disorder diagnosis and now I finally have a diagnosis of PTSD and major depression and ADHD (which I agree with). I was originally given the antipsychotic for my "autism and hypersensitivity". anyway the new psychiatrist just coppied that medicine regime and now I figured I'm done with it. It helped me through **** times, but I've been living in a different place for 2 years now and that allowed me to make some process. 

The whole tapering of Seroquel isn't going easy though. The first 50 mg (in 25mg per 3 months) gave me pretty bad anxiety. I lowered 25 mg again 4 days ago, I've been able to get the anxiety under control with magnesium (3 times a day, 600 mg in total). Beside the mental discontinuation problems, the first 2 days it made my tachycardia go haywire and my tremors go nuts. It was quite funny, but not if that will happen with every 25 mg decrease. 3 and 4 day I was nauseous, vitamin C, camille tea and lemon juice made it slightly better. 

Anyway, I'm thinking about lowering and eventually quitting (if possible and healthy for me) my other medication. Also, I wonder if it's best to take 200XR, 50 XR and 25 IR or 200 XR 50 IR and 25IR for example. I'm not sure about what's better. 

Anyway, I'm gonna keep you guys posted. Ask questions if you feel like it,

-E 

On a combination of antidepressants, antipsychotics and ADHD meds since I was 16, my 21st birthday is September 19 (2017) 
Meds that did not work for me and that I took in the past:
citalopram, venlafaxine, risperidon, abipiprazole, methylphenidate IR/concerta/telekinet

As of July I'm on 25 mg Quetiapine (IR) 
I currently take 125 mg Quetiapine as of March 29 2018 (Highest dose: 300 XR, 100 mg IR. A total of 400 mg)

I also take fluoxetine 40 mg and dexamfetamine 10 mg 3 times a day. I'm not tapering anything besides Quetiapine

I've never had psychosis to begin with, and I'm experiencing lots of side effects because of the AP, which made me decide to quit. I'm slowly feeling a bit more like myself again.

And I have to add the positives about the quetiapine dosage lowering: I already feel like I'm able to think a bit better again. I'm pretty clever but this stuff made my brain feel like a cloud of fog. And I feel like I'm able to handle the dosage lowering, I'm not anxious about it. I'm quite proud of myself for that, because 2 years ago I would have **** my pants. 

On a combination of antidepressants, antipsychotics and ADHD meds since I was 16, my 21st birthday is September 19 (2017) 
citalopram, venlafaxine, risperidon, abipiprazole, methylphenidate IR/concerta/telekinet

I currently take 125 mg Quetiapine as of March 29 2018 (Highest dose: 300 XR, 100 mg IR. A total of 400 mg)

I also take fluoxetine 40 mg and dexamfetamine 10 mg 3 times a day. I'm not tapering anything besides Quetiapine

I've never had psychosis to begin with, and I'm experiencing lots of side effects because of the AP, which made me decide to quit. I'm slowly feeling a bit more like myself again.

• ChessieCat changed the title to peaceoutofchaos: Currently tapering Quetiapine/Seroquel
  • Moderator Emeritus

Hi Peace, welcome to SA. Wow those numbers made my eyes :rolleyes:! I am not very good with numbers now but think I have it sussed now.

You are already suffering withdrawal, these drugs change the way your brain works. For years your brain has functioned and grown around the drugs. Your brain was still developing when they were first prescribed. They need to be sneaked away very slowly to allow your brain to adjust between drops. Pushing through withdrawal doesn't help, when your brain is struggling it needs time to catch up and that never happens when we try to push through. People always have to go back on, and often are given even more drugs and admitted to hospital, especially with antipsychotics.  

You are tapering less than 10% each time but are suffering withdrawal so I would go back to 300xr and 50 IR and hold there until you are stable again then make very small drops more often. We call this a mocro taper, it is gentler on the nervous system. 

Is there any reason why you wanted to taper seroquel first? When there are multiple drugs to taper we usually suggest tapering the antidepressant or stimulant first. you are taking 2 'accelerators' and 1 'brake'. Fluoxetine is activating and so is the dexamphetamine. Without seroquel your sleep will likely be affected. 

When did you develop ADHD? Often we find people are diagnosed with ADHD after being on psych drugs for a while. People develop new symptoms with each drug which are diagnosed as seperate 'disorders' but are actually side effects of the drugs!  There is no reason why you can't taper off all of them and be drug free. It will take time and patience but will be well worth it. 

It will help us if you can fill in your signature, the link will take you to the signature box in settings, we need drugs and doses with approximate start dates

http://survivingantidepressants.org/settings/signature/

I will get some links to topics for you, they will help you to understand the process better.  

Tapering multiple drugs, which one first?

http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/2207-taking-multiple-psych-drugs-taper-the-antidepressant-first/

Slowness of slow tapers. 

http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/2364-the-slowness-of-slow-tapers/

Tapering amphetamines

http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/8987-tips-for-tapering-off-adderall/

Tapering fluoxetine

http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/759-tips-for-tapering-off-prozac-fluoxetine/

Tapering Seroquel

http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/1707-tips-for-tapering-off-seroquel-quetiapine/

**I am not a medical professional, if in doubt please consult a doctor with withdrawal knowledge.

Different drugs occasionally (mostly benzos) 1976 - 1981 (no problem)

1993 - 2002 in and out of hospital. every type of drug + ECT. Staring with seroxat

2002  effexor. 

Tapered  March 2012 to March 2013, ending with 5 beads.

Withdrawal April 2013 . Reinstated 5 beads reduced to 4 beads May 2013

Restarted taper  Nov 2013  

OFF EFFEXOR Feb 2015    :D 

Tapered atenolol and omeprazole Dec 2013 - May 2014

Tapering tramadol, Feb 2015 100mg , March 2015 50mg  

July 2017 30mg.  May 15 2018 25mg

Taking fish oil, magnesium, B12, folic acid, bilberry eyebright for eye pressure. 

My story http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/4199-hello-mammap-checking-in/page-33

Lesson learned, slow down taper at lower doses. Taper no more than 10% of CURRENT dose if possible

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi POOC,

You've come to the right place for information and support.

I found these helped me to undersand SA's recommendations:

Brain Remodelling

Video:  Healing From Antidepressants - Patterns of Recovery

Edited by ChessieCat

* NO LONGER ACTIVE on SA *

MISSION ACCOMPLISHED:  (6 year taper)      0mg Pristiq  on 13th November 2021

ADs since ~1992:  25+ years - 1 unknown, Prozac (muscle weakness), Zoloft; citalopram (pooped out) CTed (very sick for 2.5 wks a few months after); Pristiq:  50mg 2012, 100mg beg 2013 (Serotonin Toxicity)  Tapering from Oct 2015 - 13 Nov 2021   LAST DOSE 0.0025mg

Post 0 updates start here    My tapering program     My Intro (goes to tapering graph)

VIDEO:   Antidepressant Withdrawal Syndrome and its Management

I am doing fine on the 325 mg right now, I woke up tired, but my body does what it needs to do. I'd rather not go back to 350 mg
I am thinking of tapering of to 300 mg in a month or so and then tapering the dexamfetamine and after that I'm just going to see whether I'm going to furter tape the Quetiapine or the fluoxetine. 

My question about the dosage was more in the sense that I wondered whether it's better to do the 275 and the 250 mg steps with 250mg as a XR or with 200mg with a XR. 
 I will fill my signature later today

And I did develop adhd before my meds

Update: I taked to my psychiatrist, she want me to keep taking the 25 mg IR tablet to make sure I don't get side effects in sleeping, but lower the XR by 50 mg (because that's the lowest dose I can get the XR in). I'm a bit worried about that, but luckily I still have another month on my current dosis. It seems to me like quite a big step to make. Any opinions? (and yes, I told her about the current withdrawl symptoms, but she says if I have them on 25 mg, I will probably have the same amount of symptoms lowering with 50 mg)

• 4 weeks later...

Hey everyone, I'm tapering quetiapine (last taper was 1 month ago, 350 to 325mg, I'm also on fluoxetine and dexamfetamine). I'm having a difficult time right now, basically feeling feelings of hopelessness, where when I started with the step down I felt really upbeat like I was getting somewhere. I hope it's just the withdrawl and not my actual depression getting back, but it's the same thing for now. I'm just at a crossroad, I don't have an education or work right now, but my talents are within the arts (digital and on canvas&paper), but that also means that getting a job isn't really do-able  (I'm quite intelligent, so simple jobs make my depression go haywire within a month, and actual jobs that I would like to do, like doing things on the side in medical field doesn't work with the fact that I only graduated from high-school and that my tiredness doesn't allow me to work full-time. Gettting a degree isn't very do-able either, I tried twice. ). I'm just really bored and hopeless I guess. Which makes it very difficult to find something productive to do, aka a negative spiral. Any emotional support would be great, 'cause right now I feel like I don't belong on this planet. 

17 hours ago, peaceoutofchaos said:

Hey everyone, I'm tapering quetiapine (last taper was 1 month ago, 350 to 325mg, I'm also on fluoxetine and dexamfetamine). I'm having a difficult time right now, basically feeling feelings of hopelessness, where when I started with the step down I felt really upbeat like I was getting somewhere. I hope it's just the withdrawl and not my actual depression getting back, but it's the same thing for now. I'm just at a crossroad, I don't have an education or work right now, but my talents are within the arts (digital and on canvas&paper), but that also means that getting a job isn't really do-able  (I'm quite intelligent, so simple jobs make my depression go haywire within a month, and actual jobs that I would like to do, like doing things on the side in medical field doesn't work with the fact that I only graduated from high-school and that my tiredness doesn't allow me to work full-time. Gettting a degree isn't very do-able either, I tried twice. ). I'm just really bored and hopeless I guess. Which makes it very difficult to find something productive to do, aka a negative spiral. Any emotional support would be great, 'cause right now I feel like I don't belong on this planet. 

This I very tricky and an impossible situation to be in ,I dont have any magic words for you ,a lot of us are in the same boat and threading water ,all I can really offer for know is solidarity in this terrible situation and dig deep and maybe stay away from any people that make you feel worse .

Also learn all the non drug techniques to cope .

Take care

PB 

Alcohol free since February 2015 

1MG diazepam

4.5MG PROZAC.

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi Peace, I moved your latest post to your intro topic to keep your history in one place.  You need to hold off making any further changes until any withdrawal symptoms have subsided.  Feeling bored and helpless are common side effects of the drugs. Thankfully those side effects often lessen as the dose lowers. The awful truth is that many, many people are given psychotropic drugs to ease depression and anxiety but they dull everything so that people just can't focus on anythong or have the desire to do anything. Many who are working when they are prescribed end up not working and some never get back to work until they are off the drugs. A great book to read is 'Anatomy of an epidemic' by Robert Whitaker. Also 'Your drug may be your problem' by Dr Peter Breggin.   Also an excellent topic here is emotional spirals by out own Brassmonkey. 

**I am not a medical professional, if in doubt please consult a doctor with withdrawal knowledge.

Different drugs occasionally (mostly benzos) 1976 - 1981 (no problem)

1993 - 2002 in and out of hospital. every type of drug + ECT. Staring with seroxat

2002  effexor. 

Tapered  March 2012 to March 2013, ending with 5 beads.

Withdrawal April 2013 . Reinstated 5 beads reduced to 4 beads May 2013

Restarted taper  Nov 2013  

OFF EFFEXOR Feb 2015    :D 

Tapered atenolol and omeprazole Dec 2013 - May 2014

Tapering tramadol, Feb 2015 100mg , March 2015 50mg  

July 2017 30mg.  May 15 2018 25mg

Taking fish oil, magnesium, B12, folic acid, bilberry eyebright for eye pressure. 

My story http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/4199-hello-mammap-checking-in/page-33

Lesson learned, slow down taper at lower doses. Taper no more than 10% of CURRENT dose if possible

• Moderator Emeritus

I've just found this topic posted in another member's Intro:  Disconnect between Interest and Action/Motivation

ADs since ~1992:  25+ years - 1 unknown, Prozac (muscle weakness), Zoloft; citalopram (pooped out) CTed (very sick for 2.5 wks a few months after); Pristiq:  50mg 2012, 100mg beg 2013 (Serotonin Toxicity)  Tapering from Oct 2015 - 13 Nov 2021   LAST DOSE 0.0025mg

Post 0 updates start here    My tapering program     My Intro (goes to tapering graph)

Thank you everyone, I will read the things you suggested

• 6 months later...

Update, I'm on 125 mg of Quetiapine right now. I'm having some withdrawl effects (I have that at every taper, no matter what dosage). I'm trying to figure out how to go further. I'm currently on 100 mg XR and 25 IR. My psychiatrist said it was best to taper the XR first and keep the IR for the last part, and the 50 mg XR cuts every 2 months have been going ok. (I have 2/3 weeks of side effects and then everything is fine, most problems are physical). But going from 125 to 75 seems way too much. Should I try 50 XR and 50IR? 

• Moderator Emeritus
43 minutes ago, peaceoutofchaos said:

But going from 125 to 75 seems way too much.

I agree.  It's good that you can recognise that it may be too fast.

43 minutes ago, peaceoutofchaos said:

Should I try 50 XR and 50IR? 

Sticking with the IR may be less taxing on your system because it means that you won't have to reintroduce it next reduction.

Hi, last week I discovered a new symptom after tapering Quetiapine from 175mg to 125mg. Motion-sickness. I just started playing a game on my PC that I can usually play for 1,5 hours without getting a bit nauseated, but after 2 minutes I was already sick. I wonder what mechanism causes that to happen (i.e. histamine-, serotonin, or dopamine withdrawal)?

• ChessieCat changed the title to Motion sickness as a symptom
  • Moderator Emeritus

This may answer your question:  

• 3 months later...

I'm getting there! I'm very excited. After a long journey, I'm currently on 25 mg quetiapine. I will do a day-taper for the last 25 mg, since that is now possible because I'm off the XR tablets.  A company here in the Netherlands can supply me with such a taper, insurance will not cover it however, but it's worth it. I will first get stable on this dosage for a month though. The slow taper will be a month from 25 to 0. (Zero! :D )
Positive effects so far (you should always start with the positives ;) )

• I experience a broader range of emotion now. After years of not crying for most of the time, if something touches me, like a movie or someone's life story, or my own thoughts, I'm able to cry! That may sound weird to be excited about, but I am. I'm feeling more and more alive. I also experience happy crying, which is nice. It allows me to appreciate the good things in life.
  • I don't feel like a zombie anymore.
  • I lost weight. Which is always good. (unless you're underweight, but in my case I'm more at the border of being overweight)
  • My heart-rate in rest went down by 20 bpm. (average of 98bpm before, bordering tachycardia, every movement felt like a marathon, now around 75 bpm. More on the marathon-feeling later)
  • My self-esteem increased. 
  • I feel healthier in general.
  • I'm done with my treatment at my psychiatrist and psychologist. 
  • I got a job! 
  • I've been feeling more awake when I wake up.

Withdrawal effects so far: 

• Tremor increased
  • Feeling really out of breath, like someone is standing on my chest. *that marathon feeling I was talking about.  I have been to a lung specialist before, I don't have asthma, but that doesn't stop me from having a lot of trouble with my lungs. Acupuncture seems to help for pretty much anything in my case, except my lungs. They keep showing up on my tongue as well. (That's a way of checking someone's health in acupuncture)
  • I've been having some "free-floating anxiety". CBD helps a bit with that. 
  • I feel a bit lonely sometimes. 
  • I have a lack of motivation to do my basic adult-stuff (cooking, cleaning, administration, etc)
  • I lost my appetite, nothing besides overly sweet, salty or fatty stuff tastes nice anymore. I hope this will get better over time, it started at roughly 100mg and lower. 
  • The muscle pain is just terrible. My neck and back are very painful and full of trigger points, my hands and feet periodically flame up and will start to hurt, be still and make cracking noises. 
  • My eyes are getting worse. Doctor says it's normal, optometrist says it's unusual and it shouldn't happen at my age (almost 22 now). I discovered that I'm a bit crossed eyed after I noticed that I constantly turn my head a bit when I'm trying to look at something. Looking back at photos, this started when I started anti-psychotics/anti-depressants/ADHD meds. 

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi peaceoutofchaos,

I’m glad you were able to change your tablets from XR. Im tapering off Seroquel too. Im down to 6.5mg but it will take me many more years to get off it. 

Were you saying you you were going to taper from 25mg to 0mg within a month, or did I get that wrong? Thats not a slow taper. That sounds extremely quick. Be careful, only taper by no more than 10% and then hold for at least four weeks if not longer. 

Im tapering by about 4% to 5% every time. 

Please don’t rush, it’s not worth it. Take care💚

Seroquel. 2019:➡️ From 7.25mg to 5.80mg✔️ 2020➡️From 5.60 to 4.80✔️ 2021➡️From 4.60 to 4.0✔️ 2022➡️From 3.95 to 3.55✔️2023➡️ Jan 26=3.50✔️March 17=3.45✔️ June12=3.40✔️ July30=3.35✔️ Sep14=3.30✔️ Oct31=3.25✔️
2024➡️Jan15=3.20✔️ Feb19=3.15✔️ March26=3.10✔️This is NOT medical advice.Consult your doctor.

3 hours ago, Carmie said:

Hi peaceoutofchaos,

I’m glad you were able to change your tablets from XR. Im tapering off Seroquel too. Im down to 6.5mg but it will take me many more years to get off it. 

Were you saying you you were going to taper from 25mg to 0mg within a month, or did I get that wrong? Thats not a slow taper. That sounds extremely quick. Be careful, only taper by no more than 10% and then hold for at least four weeks if not longer. 

Im tapering by about 4% to 5% every time. 

Please don’t rush, it’s not worth it. Take care💚

Yeah. It will go by a milligram a day, I could go for 25 to 10 in one month and the next month 10-0, but that would cost me 200 euro, so it's a bit of a pain in the pocket ;) 
However, I've succesfully went from 75 to 25 mg because splitting XR tablets wasn't working, and I couldn't get these made a by a pharmacy, and the lowest dose available is 50 mg, so I'm kind of optimistic that it will work out. Still need to think about that. I started at 400 mg, so I feel like the worst part is over (although I can imagine the last part also being a pain in the ass).  I just got back from acupuncture and it solved most of the muscle pains I had because of my last withdrawal. 

How long have you been on quetiapine and how long have you been tapering now? I read in your tag that you cold-turkeyed once... I can imagine your nervous system still giving you a hard time for that. Good luck! :) 

This would be the options as far as a day-tapering 

med.JPG

• 2 weeks later...
  • Moderator Emeritus
On 7/26/2018 at 7:38 PM, peaceoutofchaos said:

Yeah. It will go by a milligram a day, I could go for 25 to 10 in one month and the next month 10-0, but that would cost me 200 euro, so it's a bit of a pain in the pocket ;)
However, I've succesfully went from 75 to 25 mg because splitting XR tablets wasn't working, and I couldn't get these made a by a pharmacy, and the lowest dose available is 50 mg, so I'm kind of optimistic that it will work out. Still need to think about that. I started at 400 mg, so I feel like the worst part is over (although I can imagine the last part also being a pain in the ass).  I just got back from acupuncture and it solved most of the muscle pains I had because of my last withdrawal. 

How long have you been on quetiapine and how long have you been tapering now? I read in your tag that you cold-turkeyed once... I can imagine your nervous system still giving you a hard time for that. Good luck! :)

Hi peaceoutof chaos, 

I have been quetiapine for quite some time now because it’s taken me many, many years to get down from 300mg to 6.5mg. Before that tapering though I hadn’t been on it very long.

How are you doing with your tapering? Just curious as if I tapered that quickly I wouldn’t survive. It’s way to quick.

Sending hugs🤗

Seroquel. 2019:➡️ From 7.25mg to 5.80mg✔️ 2020➡️From 5.60 to 4.80✔️ 2021➡️From 4.60 to 4.0✔️ 2022➡️From 3.95 to 3.55✔️2023➡️ Jan 26=3.50✔️March 17=3.45✔️ June12=3.40✔️ July30=3.35✔️ Sep14=3.30✔️ Oct31=3.25✔️
2024➡️Jan15=3.20✔️ Feb19=3.15✔️ March26=3.10✔️This is NOT medical advice.Consult your doctor.

I'm curious also which I'm tapering from 100 mg seroquel. I cold turkey 300 mg then reinstated 100 mg down to 50mg.how long were u on it.Thanks Rus

March-2017-Dec-2017 ativanCT /reinstated ativan 1mg tapered 2 months/June 2017-April 2018 zyprexa 10mg switched to seroquel 200-300mg in april 2018/dec-2017-present zoloft 100mg/ quit seroquel 200-300mg cold turkey May 6 2018 reinstated seroquel 100mg around May 25 2018 since then tapered to 50mg zoloft and 50 mg of seroquel presently other medications Testosterone cypionate 2oomg every 4 days

UPDATE -August 20 2018--october 20 2018 tapered off Testosterone/Nov 7 2018 --Dec 20 2018 Lamictal micro dose 2.50mg 1 1/2 weeks then reduced to 1.25 then fast tapered as it became paridoxial.nausea- racing thoughts- agitation and insomnia.

August 28 2018 to Present Cannabis indica micro dose PM bedtime only.

Presently Seroquel 37.5 mg bedtime /Zoloft 47mg morning

May 2018-Present Multivitamin/ Bcomplex/Vit C 1000MG/B12 1000MCG/Fish oils 2grams/

Jan 2019-Trace mineral liquid low dose

Update dec 2019 -29mg of zoloft tapering/Seroquel 37.5 holding/1 or 2  ativan 1mg a month as needed if that.

Black seed oil-caprylic acid-/b complex/b12/multi/D/E/melatonin

• 2 weeks later...
  • Moderator Emeritus

Hi Peaceoutofchaos, 

How did you’re tapering go. Hope you’re okay💚

• 4 weeks later...

@Carmie @RusTWTapering is going fine, I don't have any particular withdrawal effects that bother me, however I decided to pause on 25 mg for a while, because I found out a month ago that my mum is terminally ill, (pancreatic cancer with liver metastasis) and now has less than 2 months to live. So that's been rough on me, especially because I just started a new job and school, and it's difficult to find any time for myself, and I try to visit my mum as much as possible after school/work. 

• Moderator Emeritus
2 hours ago, peaceoutofchaos said:

@Carmie @RusTWTapering is going fine, I don't have any particular withdrawal effects that bother me, however I decided to pause on 25 mg for a while, because I found out a month ago that my mum is terminally ill, (pancreatic cancer with liver metastasis) and now has less than 2 months to live. So that's been rough on me, especially because I just started a new job and school, and it's difficult to find any time for myself, and I try to visit my mum as much as possible after school/work. 

Hi peaceoutofchaos, 

Im so sorry about your mum, my mum had the same thing. She was fortunate she wasn’t in any pain though. She never asked for painkillers. It must be such a hard time for you, I am really sorry. 

Glad to hear that your tapering is going fine though. It is best to stop the taper for a while when going through stress as the stress can ramp up the symptoms.

Take care, sending hugs🤗