• Announcements

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Tchi

Tchi's Mother: 93 yrs old getting to taper Citalopram after 15 yrs

4 posts in this topic

Hi

My brother insist our mother stops Citalopram 10mg.

The first tapering today is 50%.  Is this reasonable ?

What may we be aware of ?

SA's recommended tapering method is a reduction of 10% of the previous dose followed by a hold of about 4 weeks.  Therefore, a 50% reduction is much too large.

My own story may help you to understand how these drugs impact our brain.  I attempted to reduce my Pristiq by 1/2 from 100mg down to 50mg and experienced really bad cog fog for 3 weeks, which is when I discovered SA.  I got to the stage where I was unable to type.  I am a professional typist so not being able to type was a really massive warning that something was not right.  I updosed and within 4 hours my brain fog started clearing and I was able to type again.  I have since been tapering by no more than 10% and am now down to 20mg.

Please read:

Why taper by 10% of my dosage?

Dr Joseph Glenmullen's WD Symptoms Checklist

Brain Remodelling

Video:  Healing From Antidepressants - Patterns of Recovery

Tips for tapering off Celexa (citalopram)

Edited by ChessieCat
added link to tips

Way too fast!!!   How long was she on citalapram?  Unless it was just a few weeks, that is way, way too fast, and she could suffer all sorts of withdrawal symptoms.  There are so many possible symptoms that it's hard to predict exactly what, but likely mood swings, feeling like she has the flu, and much more...  And, at her age, it will be hard for her to stabilize if she is tapered too quickly. 
Please try to get your brother to look through the info. here and convince him that a slower taper is needed to eliminate suffering and is much safer. 

The title of this topic:  93 yrs old getting to taper Citalopram after 15 yrs

Dosage not provided.