Psychiatric drugs are making us sicker

nz11

Anatomy of an Epidemic: Magic Bullets, Psychiatric Drugs, and the Astonishing Rise of Mental Illness in America (Crown 2010), by the journalist Robert Whitaker, is one of the most disturbing, consequential works of investigative journalism I've read in a long time. Perhaps ever. Whitaker has persuaded me that American psychiatry, in collusion with the pharmaceutical industry, may be perpetrating the biggest case of iatrogenesis—harmful medical treatment--in history. Scientific America 2012

Thought for the day: Lets stand up, and let’s speak out , together. G Olsen

We have until the 14th. Feb 2018. 

URGENT REQUEST Please consider submitting  for the petition on Prescribed Drug Dependence and Withdrawal currently awaiting its third consideration at the Scottish Parliament. You don't even have to be from Scotland. By clicking on the link below you can read some of the previous submissions but be warned many of them are quite harrowing.

http://www.parliament.scot/GettingInvolved/Petitions/PE01651   

Please tell them about your problems taking and withdrawing from antidepressants and/or benzos.

Send by email to petitions@parliament.scot and quote PE01651 in the subject heading. Keep to a maximum of 3 sides of A4 and you can't name for legal reasons any doctor you have consulted. Tell them if you wish to remain anonymous. We need the numbers to help convince the committee members we are not isolated cases. You have until mid February. Thank you

Recovering paxil addict

None of the published articles shed light on what ssri's ... actually do or what their hazards might be. Healy 2013. 

This is so true, with anything you get on these drugs, dependance, tapering, withdrawal symptoms, side effects, just silent. And if there is something mentioned then their is a serious disconnect between what is said and reality! 

"Every time I read of a multi-person shooting, I always presume that person had just started a SSRI or had just stopped."  Dr Mosher. Me too! 

Over two decades later, the number of antidepressant prescriptions a year is slightly more than the number of people in the Western world. Most (nine out of 10) prescriptions are for patients who faced difficulties on stopping, equating to about a tenth of the population. These patients are often advised to continue treatment because their difficulties indicate they need ongoing treatment, just as a person with diabetes needs insulin. Healy 2015

I believe the ssri era will soon stand as one of the most shameful in the history of medicine. Healy 2015

Let people help people ... in a natural, kind, non-addictive (and non-big pharma) way. J Broadley 2017

• Moderator Emeritus

Oh wow, thanks NZ!  Whitaker is still having flow-on effect.

I know he wrote the sequel - about the corruption of psychiatry - and there's not really much more than he can say (and he's saying it every time he speaks), but I'd love to see fresh material coming out, because you know, geez, this one is 5 years old but sometimes people won't look at a thing if it's more than a day old.

I learn something new every day - Whiitaker has a blog in Psychology Today?    Huh!

"Easy, easy - just go easy and you'll finish." - Hawaiian Kapuna

Holding is hard work, holding is a blessing. Give your brain time to heal before you try again.

My suggestions are not medical advice, you are in charge of your own medical choices.

A lifetime of being prescribed antidepressants that caused problems (30 years in total). At age 35 flipped to "bipolar," but was not diagnosed for 5 years. Started my journey in Midwest United States. Crossed the Pacific for love and hope; currently living in Australia.   CT Seroquel 25 mg some time in 2013.   Tapered Reboxetine 4 mg Oct 2013 to Sept 2014 = GONE (3 years on Reboxetine).     Tapered Lithium 900 to 475 MG (alternating with the SNRI) Jan 2014 - Nov 2014, tapered Lithium 475 mg Jan 2015 -  Feb 2016 = GONE (10 years  on Lithium).  Many mistakes in dry cutting dosages were made.

The tedious thread (my intro):  JanCarol ☼ Reboxetine first, then Lithium

The happy thread (my success story):  JanCarol - Undiagnosed  Off all bipolar drugs

My own blog:  https://shamanexplorations.com/shamans-blog/

I have been psych drug FREE since 1 Feb 2016!

• Moderator Emeritus
On 8/16/2017 at 11:28 PM, nz11 said:

Whitaker has persuaded me that American psychiatry, in collusion with the pharmaceutical industry, may be perpetrating the biggest case of iatrogenesis—harmful medical treatment--in history. Scientific America 2012

Thanks for the link, NZ.  

I found a more recent article in Scientific America by the same journalist, which gives me hope because it means he's following Whitaker's work.

Psychiatrists Must Face Possibility That Medications Hurt More Than They Help

In that article, it links to this frightening statistic:

1 in 6 Americans Takes a Psychiatric Drug

A quote from that article:  "More than eight in 10 adults who were taking psychiatric drugs reported long-term use".

So 80% of the 16% of Americans who take psych drugs are on them long term. So 16% of Americans are on a psych drug and 12.8% are dependent. 

Somebody may need to double check my math on that because my head is beginning to spin. . . . 

JC thanks for commenting, yeah i bought that sequel it really was another disturbing read 'Psychiatry  under the infuence'. This book is a must read imo its as good as, if not better than 'anatomy'.

The Rothman report provided the public with an inside look at the financial conflicts of interest that were present as psychiatry produced its consensus guidelines. Experts with financial ties to pharmaceutical companies surveyed the opinions of other experts with ties to those same companies, and this led to the publication of a guideline in a journal supplement paid for by a pharmaceutical firm. The drug company that paid for all this with unrestricted grants could then use the guideline for marketing purposes, and it would pay the authors of the guidelines to serve on its speakers bureaus or as the experts at Continuing Medical Education programs it funded. There was a tight web of mutual interests present as psychiatry developed its expect consensus guidelines, and again and again, the experts recommended the new drugs as first-line treatment. pg 150

Shep -your maths looks pretty good to me thanks for posting that newer info .. "More than eight in 10 adults who were taking psychiatric drugs reported long-term use". This is beyond frightening.

'It is fair to say that few of the millions of americans who now take a psychiatric drug on a daily basis made an "informed choice" to do so.' Whitaker 2015 Psychiatry under the influence

URGENT REQUEST Please consider submitting  for the petition on Prescribed Drug Dependence and Withdrawal currently awaiting its third consideration at the Scottish Parliament. You don't even have to be from Scotland. By clicking on the link below you can read some of the previous submissions but be warned many of them are quite harrowing.

Please tell them about your problems taking and withdrawing from antidepressants and/or benzos.

Send by email to petitions@parliament.scot and quote PE01651 in the subject heading. Keep to a maximum of 3 sides of A4 and you can't name for legal reasons any doctor you have consulted. Tell them if you wish to remain anonymous. We need the numbers to help convince the committee members we are not isolated cases. You have until mid February. Thank you

Recovering paxil addict

None of the published articles shed light on what ssri's ... actually do or what their hazards might be. Healy 2013. 

This is so true, with anything you get on these drugs, dependance, tapering, withdrawal symptoms, side effects, just silent. And if there is something mentioned then their is a serious disconnect between what is said and reality! 

"Every time I read of a multi-person shooting, I always presume that person had just started a SSRI or had just stopped."  Dr Mosher. Me too! 

Over two decades later, the number of antidepressant prescriptions a year is slightly more than the number of people in the Western world. Most (nine out of 10) prescriptions are for patients who faced difficulties on stopping, equating to about a tenth of the population. These patients are often advised to continue treatment because their difficulties indicate they need ongoing treatment, just as a person with diabetes needs insulin. Healy 2015

I believe the ssri era will soon stand as one of the most shameful in the history of medicine. Healy 2015

Let people help people ... in a natural, kind, non-addictive (and non-big pharma) way. J Broadley 2017

Just went to read one of the links from Shep and i also found this  link (by the way go to this link and read that most disturbingly dangerous comment from Elizabeth Brown  i have no doubt that its because of people like her that many others are being pushed into the arms of their doctors....'a future and a hope' give me a break!) and omgoodness look at this:

The following information is the most accurate and documented data available on psychiatric drug usage. The information is from IMS Health, a company that provides information, services and technology for the healthcare industry. It is the largest vendor of U.S. physician prescribing data. The following data was taken from IMS Health Vector One National database Year 2013, Extracted April 2014. To find out the hundreds of drug regulatory agency warnings and documented side effects for any class of psychiatric drug listed on this page (i.e., ADHD Drugs, Antidepressants, Antipsychotics, etc) click the hyperlinks listed below:

Drug Class:            Age Group:          Number of People:

All Psychiatric       0-5 Years                1,080,168
Drugs

Breakdown:
0-1 Years                 274,804
2-3 Years                 370,778
4-5 Years                 500,948

6-12 Years               4,130,340
13-17 Years             3,617,593
18-24 Years             5,467,615
25-44 Years             21,029,136
45-64 Years             28,143,196
65 Year +                  17,404,930

Grand Total                                            78,694,222

ADHD Drugs          0-5 Years                 188,899

Breakdown:
0-1 Years                  1,422
2-3 Years                  10,413
4-5 Years                  181,023

6-12 Years                2,723,126
13-17 Years              1,775,896
18-24 Years              1,553,066
25-44 Years              2,840,859
45-64 Years              1,519,677
65 Year +                   254,499

Grand Total                                            10,291,860

Antidepressants  0-5 Years                  110,516

Breakdown:
0-1 Years                   26,406
2-3 Years                   46,102
4-5 Years                   45,822

6-12 Years                 686,950
13-17 Years               1,444,422
18-24 Years               2,860,537
25-44 Years               12,400,129
45-64 Years               16,185,388
65 Year +                    8,566,579

Grand Total                                             41,226,394

Antipsychotics       0-5 Years                  27,343

Breakdown:
0-1 Years                    654
2-3 Years                    3,760
4-5 Years                    24,363

6-12 Years                  359,882
13-17 Years                490,272
18-24 Years                599,816
25-44 Years                1,987,933
45-64 Years                2,406,526
65 Year +                     1,169,044

Grand Total                                              6,845,303

Anti-anxiety           0-5 Years                     727,304
Drugs

Breakdown:
0-1 Years                     227,132
2-3 Years                     282,759
4-5 Years                     247,754

6-12 Years                  790,149
13-17 Years                650,273
18-24 Years                1,660,953
25-44 Years                8,944,200
45-64 Years                14,439,465
65 Year +                     9,691,791

Grand Total                                               36,472,663

SOURCE: IMS, Vector One: National (VONA) and Total Patient Tracker (TPT) Database, Year 2013, Extracted April 2014.

Recovering paxil addict

• Moderator Emeritus
23 hours ago, nz11 said:

Drug Class:            Age Group:          

All Psychiatric       0-5 Years                
Drugs

Breakdown:
0-1 Years                 274,804
2-3 Years                 370,778
4-5 Years                 500,948

Thanks for adding these statistics, NZ.

This is frightening - 1,146,530 children under the age of 6 are on psych drugs. How could this even be possible? A chemical imbalance? Really?!

This reminded me of the work of trauma researcher Dr. Bessel van der Kolk in his paper Developmental trauma disorder: Towards a rational diagnosis for children with complex trauma histories.

Childhood trauma, including abuse and neglect, is probably our nation’s single most important public health challenge, a challenge that has the potential to be largely resolved by appropriate prevention and intervention. Each year over 3,000,000 children are reported to the authorities for abuse and/or neglect in the United States of which about one million are substantiated1 . Many thousands more undergo traumatic medical and surgical procedures, and are victims of accidents and of community violence (see Spinazzola et al, this issue). However, most trauma begins at home: the vast majority of people (about 80 %) responsible for child maltreatment are children’s own parents.

By "appropriate prevention and intervention", von der Kolk does not mean drugs, as he explains:

At the center of the therapeutic work with terrified children is helping them realize that they are repeating their early experiences and helping them find new ways of coping by developing new connections between their experiences, emotions and physical reactions. Unfortunately, all too often, medications take the place of helping children acquire the skills necessary to deal with and master their uncomfortable physical sensations. In order to “process” their traumatic experiences these children first need to develop a safe space where they can “look at” their traumas without repeating them and making them real once again .

So why can't van der Kolk get his Developmental Trauma Disorder for children in the DSM and limit the amount of drugs they are put on?

He explains:

Psychiatry Must Stop Ignoring Trauma, with Dr. Bessel van der Kolk - video 4 minutes

And then tack on withdrawal syndrome caused by dependency, adverse reactions being diagnosed as bipolar, big pharma profiteering, and the APA expanding diagnostic criteria, so once these kids are on these drugs, many (if not most) will never come off them. 

On 8/18/2017 at 6:27 PM, nz11 said:

Anti-anxiety           0-5 Years                     727,304
Drugs

Breakdown:
0-1 Years                     227,132

I just went back through those statistics and this stood out - the majority of the 0 - 1 year olds are on benzos (anti-anxiety drugs).

And I remembered this article just put out by Shipko on the MiA site:

How to Avoid Severe SSRI Withdrawal Symptoms?

His advice (which is, in my opinion, VERY MISGUIDED) is to use a benzo to get off an SSRI.

Considering the increasing rate of babies being born on SSRIs, I wonder if perhaps these babies are being "helped" with their SSRI withdrawal syndrome with a benzo? 

It would be really nice to find out if these drugged infants were born on psych drugs, but I doubt the medical industrial complex is doing that kind of research. 

Considering the increasing rate of babies being born on SSRIs, I wonder if perhaps these babies are being "helped" with their SSRI withdrawal syndrome with a benzo? 

Excellent point Shep.

Recovering paxil addict

Important Information

Terms of Use Privacy Policy