Marsha

Google and depression and NAMI?

Marsha   
Marsha

I don't know how to provide a link to this news item, but it showed up on my mobile device. Google is apparently partnering with NAMI to  get people who are depressed to take a depression quiz online and then be directed to seek help from doctors. Has anyone else seen this article? 

fema4psychiatrists   
fema4psychiatrists

Yes its a bbc article. 'the mental health state', its war.

Bokart   
Bokart

Not to belittle people with depression, but I think offering only medical solution to depression is very dangerous. It's the same mindset people usually have these days: all the problems have an external solution I can buy. Where does self-growth fit in all of this? I'm assuming this is where this kind of thing leads, because doctors like to prescribe medicine, and patients very much like to have a quick fix & not to worry about it.

Yes, people need a solution to get off the worst of depression, since there's almost nothing you can do when you're down in the pit. It follows that if you don't have the inner tools to make your inner life healthier in the first place, you neither have them when you've crashed down to the ground. And nobody should expect that.

Also assuming there's a solution that works for everyone is also untrue -even for medicine! Therapy doesn't help everyone... but at least it's harmless.

But consider: if there was a medicine that permanently cured depression, wouldn't it devalue our inner life significantly? I know I wouldn't have learned anything if my psychosis just went away with medicine & I lived happily ever after. Hardships have so much learning potential... if you can inspect them afterwards and see clearly what was actually happening... And without incentive to learn... nothing is learned.

For the sake of humanity's ability to learn, I hope drug companies will never make a medicine without side-effects that permanently cured you*. Or else It'll cost our future. (I'm not objecting to medicine without withdrawal effects however. No-one should suffer like that.)

*Permanent means you permanently take the medicine too, no profit doing it any other way.

JS11   
JS11
On 8/26/2017 at 8:39 AM, Marsha said:

I don't know how to provide a link to this news item, but it showed up on my mobile device. Google is apparently partnering with NAMI to  get people who are depressed to take a depression quiz online and then be directed to seek help from doctors. Has anyone else seen this article? 

I saw it on a business news report.  Even printed it out and gave to the Psychiatrist.  It is based on the PQ9 questionnaire?  that many are given when they arrive at their doctor's office and you rate your depression, however,  I didn't realize it referred you to a doctor.  Also, I  saw a link somewhere that said the Questionnaire was developed by researchers at Pzier.  Makes you wonder.   

InvisibleUnless   
InvisibleUnless

this sort of tactic has been employed in the past, through school programs and other methods.  targeting the most vulnerable persons from a position of power and without the context of supportive options instead of just pseudomedical innuendo.  but, we already know where google and NAMI stand, ethically, so this can hardly be surprising and is probably more of a beginning than an end to such efforts.

Marsha   
Marsha

Oh yes. Agree "probably more of a beginning than an end to such efforts."