SurvivingAntidepressants.org is temporarily closed to new registrations until 1 April ×

Olive oil vs fish oil

Dixon

I have read on here that fish oil is helpful.

Does anyone have any suggestions on what type and how much?

Would olive oil be just as good?

I am being tested for metals and there is some concern the fish oil might have metals....

Thanks

Hi Dixon,

I'm not a doctor, of course, so I don't have medical advice. I do know that fish oil and olive oil are not interchangeable. Fish oil's value is in it's fat -- specifcally the Omega-3's (DHA & EPA) -- or at least that's the belief. Olive oil doesn't contain Omega 3's in near the amount of fish oil.

There are other sources of Omega-3 Fats, though I've heard q good bit of debate as to their relative values. Walnuts and flax seeds are two examples.

In my case, I do not do well with fish oil supplements, though I eat fatty fish 1-3 times a week, particularly salmon. I think more people report positive effects than negative, but I've gotten a lot better without using any substantial amount of supplemental fish oil

Alex

"Well my ship's been split to splinters and it's sinking fast
I'm drowning in the poison, got no future, got no past
But my heart is not weary, it's light and it's free
I've got nothing but affection for all those who sailed with me.

Everybody's moving, if they ain't already there
Everybody's got to move somewhere
Stick with me baby, stick with me anyhow
Things should start to get interesting right about now."

- Zimmerman

• Administrator

Dixon, fish oil contains special omega-3 fatty acids, which your body needs to repair your nervous system.

Vegetable oils, including olive oil, do NOT contain the right fatty acids for this job.

Fish oil is the best source for omega-3 fatty acids right now. The kind of omega-3 fatty acids found in flax seeds, etc. is not easily converted by humans into a form they can use.

Omega-3 fatty acids used to be naturally included in much of our food, but food from factory farming does not have these essential nutrients in it. Our modern diet is deficient in omega-3 fatty acids.

Look for fish oil that is purified to remove heavy metals and contaminants. Read more about omega-3 fish oils here.

(Some people with withdrawal syndrome, like alex, are hypersensitive to many things, and fish oil may be one of them.)

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

The Fish Oil I have is purified. I think a lot of them are now, but be sure to look at the labels. If you're still concerned, there is Flax Seed Oil that will work. But I have heard Fish Oil is better even though they both have the Omega 3.

Taper from Cymbalta, Paxil, Prozac & Antipsychotics finished June 2012.

Xanax 5% Taper - (8/12 - .5 mg) - (9/12 - .45) - (10/12 - .43) - (11/12 - .41) - (12/12 - .38)

My Paxil Website

My Intro

• Administrator

Right, it's very hard for our bodies to process flax seed omega-3s into the kind our nervous systems need.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

Important Information

Terms of Use Privacy Policy