JS11: So close to being free of Escitalopram/Adderall. Now side-effect RX nightmare

JS11

Hi, 

First time here.  I will try to make this a short story.  I don't know what or how much to share.  Desperate for your thoughts and guidance.  I have been on a multitude of antidepressants for 20 plus years, having tried unsuccessfully to stop but each time returned to the same or yet another RX.  Diagnosed M.Depressive Disorder/Anxiety/A.D.H.D.  For years I got my prescriptions from my Internist, who originally prescribed me anti-depressants.  It took over a year for her to convince me to do so, then I held onto them for dear life. (I was about a year-and-half-sober (alcohol) and didn't want to rely on any more artificial substances but eventually succumbed.  Sometimes, I was on a combination of drugs.

Fast Forward.  At Dr.'s request, went to psychiatrist.  She didn't immediately try to put me on yet another pill, which was refreshing.  First did thyroid T3? Then I tried Lamictal and had a horribly adverse reaction as I was titrating up on this medication.  I am not a violent person and guns scare me, but I thought about getting one.  I also had depersonalization?  So very scary.  This and a subsequent adverse reaction to an antibiotic (3 days in the E.R. thousands of dollars of tests--I believe it was neurotoxicity--made me want to eliminate all medications.   

After over a year of slowly reducing medications,  I was off  Escitalopram 20mgs and had reduced Adderall XR from 25mg to 10mg, however, the anxiety was so great and I just didn't fully understand the Adderall withdrawal process.   (I hadn't found your site yet)  I went back on Escitalopram 5mg.  This began in mid-February.  Again, I tried to eliminate both meds.  In June, I crossed over from Adderall XR 5mg to Immediate Release and was on liquid Escitalopram 3.75mgs when, I started having horrible nightmares/P.T.S.D. It was unbearable.  At Psychiatrist request, went back on Adderall XR mg and eventually to Escitalopram 5mg.  

She also prescribed Minipress (off-label) for nightmares.  4 days of this was hideous.  Horrible anxiety.  Discontinued and was given Wellbutrin XR 150mg.  I believe this was to help with the side-effects of going back up on the Escitalopram which now seemed to produce horrible anxiety.  I'm not sure if this was due to the liquid form and/or possible because I changed forms of Adderall and didn't stabilize before reducing the Escitalopram.  Four days of Wellbutrin was shear hell.  I have been plagued with suicidal thoughts before but while on Wellbutrin,  the overwhelming nature of these thoughts was terrifying.  Wellbutrin was eliminated and  I was next prescribed Hydroxyline 25mg up to 8 times a day to reduce the overwhelming anxiety.  

This was about a month ago.  There are overwhelming events in my life. True. But I don't know if the Hydroxyline is contributing to these.  I have been suicidal and my anxiety is exponential (numbness in my body, chest pounding, blood-pressure up, virtually paralyzed)

Today in desperation, I again went to see the psychiatrist.  She has given me Gababentin.  I just took 100mg tablet and am terrified.  I cannot explain how much it feels as though I have failed.  As a person in recovery, I tried to stop drinking multiple times without success.  Each time feeling worse about myself when I drank again.

After almost, almost eliminating RX's I am now supposed to take Escitalopram 10mg (which I have done for approximately 7 days..I had been on 7.5mg)  Adderall XR 5mg has been consistent about a month and a half.  And I have just put another pill in my mouth to alleviate the heightened anxiety.  After reading some of the things about Gababentin on your site, I don't know what to do.  I realize my system is totally confused and that you cannot tell me what to do, but I feel like a science experiment.  I was told that some people have to be on medications their whole lives but I don't want to be one of them.   I have been on anti-depressants for over half of mine and I didn't fully realize the price that I have paid.  I started Lexapro when it first came out and then went to the generic form.  My brain was once my thing but I have felt stupid for years.  My brain just wouldn't work.  I could not find the right word, my short term memory seemed non-existent and I have felt like a zombie.  Again, please forgive the length of this post.  I just feel so very alone.   

Edited by mammaP
Paragraph breaks

26 years of Anti-depressants (probably 32, lost track, alone and/in combination Vyvanse 30mg Discontinued Feb. 22, 2013 Topamax  25-75mg Feb 23, 2013--Feb 2016 0.0 mg Discontinued  Lamotrigine 25-50mg Jan 15, 2016-Adverse Reaction Discontinued Feb 2, 2016 T3 25-50mcg Feb.11, 2016  Discontinued April 23, 2016

Escitalopram 20mg-omg fast taper Nov. 2015-Jan.7, 2016 Crash! Reinstated 20mg  Taper Jan 14, 2016  0.0mg Sept 2016 Reinstated Feb.21, 2017 Escitalopram  5mg Dosage Adjustments  Escitalopram to 2.5mg June 28-30; Increased to 3.75mg July 1-28, 2017    July 29-Aug 4 10mg, alternated between 5 and 10mg next couple days.  Aug 9, 7.25mg;  Aug 10-14 10mg; Aug 15-25 7.25mg, August 25-29, 10mg.   

Levofloxacin (January 2017 2 doses) (Adverse Reaction: Neurotoxcity; 3 daysE.R.$30k+tests)

Adderall 25mgXR (start April 23, 2013) (Nov.2016 20mg) (Dec.2016 15mg) (Feb. 5, 2016 10mg) (June 15, 2017) 5mg XR 

Crossover July 7 to Adderall I.M 5mg Discontinued  Reinstated Adderall 5mgXR  July 28th 

Minipress 1mg began July 20-23, 2mg July 24 last dose Discontinued  (Prescribed to assist with side-effects of updose of Escitalopram) WellbutrinXR 150 mg July 24, 2017 Discontinued;  Hydroxyline 25-200 mg daily, began July 20, Discontnued; (Prescribed for side-effects-sensitized; W/D)Gababentin 100mg August 28, 8/29: 00mg, 8/30/17 100mg discontinued (Prescribed for side-effects of sensitized, W//D)Zolipidem PRN (2.5mg.) Reinstated May 15, 2017 after18m+ discontinuation Between May and  Aug18-Aug 30, 2017 Discontinued

Aug. 30. 2017 Escitalopram 8.2mg, Sept. 6 Ecitalopram (7.25 tablet) September 28 Escitalopram   (7 mg tablet)   Omega 3's , October 1 Escitalopram (6.25...I think)  November 1, Escitalopram (approx. 5.75mg) December 1 (5mg)  Missed .75 for few days, lowered dose.  W/D ramped up Dec.23;  Escitalopram 4mg tab. .75ml liquid March 5.  Adderall XR 5mg, Synthroid 112mcg  March 23 Escitalopram 4mg tab .50ml liquid.April 23 Escotalopram 4mgtab .25ml liquid Escitalopram dropping .25 every 30 days; July 23, 2018 Escitalopram 3.50mg, Adderall XR 5mg, Synthroid 112mcg 

July 2021:  Took last dose of Escitalopram .02mg.  Do dah!

Current:   Synthroid/Generic 100mcg decreased November, 2018  (TSH has changed 5 times since August 30, 2018 resulting in both Hyper and hypothyroid symptoms.)  November 1, 2018, increased Adderall XR to 10mg to combat brain fog after decrease in Synthroid.

• Replies 248
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• JS11

• Mort81

• RachelSusan

• Kristine

Top Posters In This Topic

I am embarrassed as I know this is so very, very  long.  My brain isn't working very well at present.

Thank you,

take care,

JS11

26 years of Anti-depressants (probably 32, lost track, alone and/in combination Vyvanse 30mg Discontinued Feb. 22, 2013 Topamax  25-75mg Feb 23, 2013--Feb 2016 0.0 mg Discontinued  Lamotrigine 25-50mg Jan 15, 2016-Adverse Reaction Discontinued Feb 2, 2016 T3 25-50mcg Feb.11, 2016  Discontinued April 23, 2016

Escitalopram 20mg-omg fast taper Nov. 2015-Jan.7, 2016 Crash! Reinstated 20mg  Taper Jan 14, 2016  0.0mg Sept 2016 Reinstated Feb.21, 2017 Escitalopram  5mg Dosage Adjustments  Escitalopram to 2.5mg June 28-30; Increased to 3.75mg July 1-28, 2017    July 29-Aug 4 10mg, alternated between 5 and 10mg next couple days.  Aug 9, 7.25mg;  Aug 10-14 10mg; Aug 15-25 7.25mg, August 25-29, 10mg.   

Levofloxacin (January 2017 2 doses) (Adverse Reaction: Neurotoxcity; 3 daysE.R.$30k+tests)

Adderall 25mgXR (start April 23, 2013) (Nov.2016 20mg) (Dec.2016 15mg) (Feb. 5, 2016 10mg) (June 15, 2017) 5mg XR 

Crossover July 7 to Adderall I.M 5mg Discontinued  Reinstated Adderall 5mgXR  July 28th 

Minipress 1mg began July 20-23, 2mg July 24 last dose Discontinued  (Prescribed to assist with side-effects of updose of Escitalopram) WellbutrinXR 150 mg July 24, 2017 Discontinued;  Hydroxyline 25-200 mg daily, began July 20, Discontnued; (Prescribed for side-effects-sensitized; W/D)Gababentin 100mg August 28, 8/29: 00mg, 8/30/17 100mg discontinued (Prescribed for side-effects of sensitized, W//D)Zolipidem PRN (2.5mg.) Reinstated May 15, 2017 after18m+ discontinuation Between May and  Aug18-Aug 30, 2017 Discontinued

Aug. 30. 2017 Escitalopram 8.2mg, Sept. 6 Ecitalopram (7.25 tablet) September 28 Escitalopram   (7 mg tablet)   Omega 3's , October 1 Escitalopram (6.25...I think)  November 1, Escitalopram (approx. 5.75mg) December 1 (5mg)  Missed .75 for few days, lowered dose.  W/D ramped up Dec.23;  Escitalopram 4mg tab. .75ml liquid March 5.  Adderall XR 5mg, Synthroid 112mcg  March 23 Escitalopram 4mg tab .50ml liquid.April 23 Escotalopram 4mgtab .25ml liquid Escitalopram dropping .25 every 30 days; July 23, 2018 Escitalopram 3.50mg, Adderall XR 5mg, Synthroid 112mcg 

Current:   Synthroid/Generic 100mcg decreased November, 2018  (TSH has changed 5 times since August 30, 2018 resulting in both Hyper and hypothyroid symptoms.)  November 1, 2018, increased Adderall XR to 10mg to combat brain fog after decrease in Synthroid.

• ChessieCat changed the title to JS11: So close to being free of Escitalopram/Adderall..Now, side-effect RX nightmare
  • Moderator Emeritus

Hi JS, I am sorry to see that yet another of us has been given many different drugs by doctors who really should know baout the drugs they are prescribing. First the gabapentin. I would not take another one. As you say your psychiatrist is experimenting, trying to find one that works but making you worse instead of better. Sadly we see this far too often. Can you remember the antibiotic? There are a group of antibiotics that can cause serious reactions, fluoroquinalone. People refer to the reaction as being 'floxed'. Did you recover after the anti biotic before you started to taper escitalopram? 

13 hours ago, JS11 said:

This and a subsequent adverse reaction to an antibiotic (3 days in the E.R. thousands of dollars of tests--I believe it was neurotoxicity--made me want to eliminate all medications.   

Right now you are taking 10mg of escitalopram when a lower dose woul;d probably have been better to stabilise on, and adderal. Hydroxizine could be causing some of your symptoms too, there are some major reactions between all the drugs that your psychiatist has been prescribing you, here is the drug report from drugs.com. You will see the interactions between them. Don't stop any yet though, they need to be tapered. The report will show you why you have been feeling so bad. Your nervous system is unstable and your psychiatrist knows this, but tries to calm it by adding drug after drug making things even worse.   Thankfully you stopped the wellbutrin gabapentin and minipress.  

Can you confirm the drugs and doses you are taking now? It looks like it would be best to start lowering the hydroxizine, this can be faster than we normally recommend because it is an antihistamine but it you are taking it 8 times a day will need to be tapered gradually.  It will help us of you can fill in your signature for us, we need just drugs and doses, when started and when stopped. We don't need the symptoms in the signature. The link will take you to the signature box in settings.

http://survivingantidepressants.org/settings/signature/

When we have the information we will have a better picture of what to do next.  There is little doubt that you are suffering from the effects of the drugs you are taking AND the aftter effects of the ones you tried and stopped. It will take time for your nervous system to settle down again but it will happen if you just let your body heal itself. 

Here is the interactions between the drugs, if you want to go to the site and add ALL the drugs that your doctor prescribed at different times you will understand why you feel the way you do. It takes time to recover from an adverse reaction and you didn't have any time between the drugs for your body to heal itself. 

Interactions between your selected drugs

Major

amphetamine  escitalopram

Applies to: Adderall (amphetamine / dextroamphetamine), Lexapro (escitalopram)

Talk to your doctor before using escitalopram together with amphetamine. Escitalopram may increase the effects of amphetamine, and side effects such as jitteriness, nervousness, anxiety, restlessness, and racing thoughts have been reported. Combining these medications can also increase the risk of a rare but serious condition called the serotonin syndrome, which may include symptoms such as confusion, hallucination, seizure, extreme changes in blood pressure, increased heart rate, fever, excessive sweating, shivering or shaking, blurred vision, muscle spasm or stiffness, tremor, incoordination, stomach cramp, nausea, vomiting, and diarrhea. Severe cases may result in coma and even death. You should contact your doctor immediately if you experience these symptoms while taking the medications. It is important to tell your doctor about all other medications you use, including vitamins and herbs. Do not stop using any medications without first talking to your doctor.

Switch to professional interaction data

Major

dextroamphetamine  escitalopram

Applies to: Adderall (amphetamine / dextroamphetamine), Lexapro (escitalopram)

Talk to your doctor before using escitalopram together with dextroamphetamine. Escitalopram may increase the effects of dextroamphetamine, and side effects such as jitteriness, nervousness, anxiety, restlessness, and racing thoughts have been reported. Combining these medications can also increase the risk of a rare but serious condition called the serotonin syndrome, which may include symptoms such as confusion, hallucination, seizure, extreme changes in blood pressure, increased heart rate, fever, excessive sweating, shivering or shaking, blurred vision, muscle spasm or stiffness, tremor, incoordination, stomach cramp, nausea, vomiting, and diarrhea. Severe cases may result in coma and even death. You should contact your doctor immediately if you experience these symptoms while taking the medications. It is important to tell your doctor about all other medications you use, including vitamins and herbs. Do not stop using any medications without first talking to your doctor.

Switch to professional interaction data

Major

hydroxyzine  escitalopram

Applies to: hydroxyzine, Lexapro (escitalopram)

Using escitalopram together with hydrOXYzine can increase the risk of an irregular heart rhythm that may be serious and potentially life-threatening, although it is a relatively rare side effect. You may be more susceptible if you have a heart condition called congenital long QT syndrome, other cardiac diseases, conduction abnormalities, or electrolyte disturbances (for example, magnesium or potassium loss due to severe or prolonged diarrhea or vomiting). Talk to your doctor if you have any questions or concerns. Your doctor may already be aware of the risks, but has determined that this is the best course of treatment for you and has taken appropriate precautions and is monitoring you closely for any potential complications. You should seek immediate medical attention if you develop sudden dizziness, lightheadedness, fainting, shortness of breath, or heart palpitations during treatment with these medications, whether together or alone. It is important to tell your doctor about all other medications you use, including vitamins and herbs. Do not stop using any medications without first talking to your doctor.

**I am not a medical professional, if in doubt please consult a doctor with withdrawal knowledge.

Different drugs occasionally (mostly benzos) 1976 - 1981 (no problem)

1993 - 2002 in and out of hospital. every type of drug + ECT. Staring with seroxat

2002  effexor. 

Tapered  March 2012 to March 2013, ending with 5 beads.

Withdrawal April 2013 . Reinstated 5 beads reduced to 4 beads May 2013

Restarted taper  Nov 2013  

OFF EFFEXOR Feb 2015    :D 

Tapered atenolol and omeprazole Dec 2013 - May 2014

Tapering tramadol, Feb 2015 100mg , March 2015 50mg  

July 2017 30mg.  May 15 2018 25mg

Taking fish oil, magnesium, B12, folic acid, bilberry eyebright for eye pressure. 

My story http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/4199-hello-mammap-checking-in/page-33

Lesson learned, slow down taper at lower doses. Taper no more than 10% of CURRENT dose if possible

• ChessieCat changed the title to JS11: So close to being free of Escitalopram/Adderall. Now side-effect RX nightmare

Mamma P, thank you so much for your kind thoughts and information.  I love information and will check out the interaction links.  

My Doctor and pharmacists have been very helpful and cautious with the interactions.  The pharmacy wouldn't even  one prescription without talking to Doctor first and I had to have an EKG to follow up.  There are many watching over me.  

I'm not exactly sure where to post questions?  

thank you again,

JS11

Hi Mamma P.

I know you are in a different time zone and hopefully getting some good rest.  

I have been reading many of the topics out there, but must admit my mind is rather overwhelmed in general with information and medications.  If only I had found your site sooner.  So glad I am here now.  

I realize the past couple of months and barrage of new medications coupled with an increase in doses and forms of both Adderall and Escitalopram have just devastated me and my system.  . I have changed my dose of Escitalopram  from 5mg to 7,25mg. to 10mg so very often as I just didn't want to take any more, but then was advised by Doctor that I should, was reluctant, didn't, then acquiesced.    

I hadn't seen your post yet and had taken a total of 75 mg of Hydroxyline--which is prescribed at 25-50mg every 4 hours--When  I took the first dose of 100mg Gabapentin.

I took 2 100mg doses yesterday and felt a relief from the horrible anxiety for the first time in a month.  Felt good actually.  Such a welcome thing.  I also was much less zombie like, probably due to reduction of Hydroxyline.  

Mid-afternoon, anxiety crept back in but not in such an overwhelming way. Took 2nd dose of 100mg Gaba 12 hrs later.  

Awoke with horrible anxiety and again took 100mg of Gababentin.  I suppose I just wanted that same relief again.

Anxiety present from about 6am to 12pm.  Side-effects:  dry mouth, stomach upset, cramps in side, some dizziness though not too bad, and very odd and uncomfortable numbness--had that whilst on Hydroxyline as well.

Not sure if W/D from all the changes and additions and discontinuations of medications or a combination of all these factors.  Who knows?

6am took 10mg of Escitalopram whcih I have been on for 5 days.  Adderall XR5mg. Thyroid. 112mcg. Gaba 100mg.  

Talked to Doctor's office.  They want me to keep things as they are. And the timing has been horrific as timing can be.   I am afraid to eliminate the Gaba and afraid not too. I don't  want to increase dose to 3x's a day as advised but don't know if I should continue on and stabilize?  Admittedly, life events are so very chaotic.  Seems almost impossible at present to make a decision.  

I do not want to go back to Hydroxyline.  I wasn't very functional.  The anxiety was so bad and I became paralyzed.  But not sure what to do either.

Do not take the next dose of Gaba at bedtime on 100mg for a few days and get off.  keep taking at 200mg as advised, stabilize and then reduce

Escitalopram ever so slowly.  

Must admit to being so very scared of the overwhelming nature of anxious and despondent feelings.  Sadly, grasping at pills in hopes of finding an answer.  

Any thoughts would be appreciated.  

thank you,

take care. 

Edited by baroquep
Paragraphs breaks

Hi,

I have already posted in the introduction section and received a response from Mamma P.  I posted again regarding assistance on tapering, dose adjustments, and discontinuation of a newly added RX but I don't know if this has to be reviewed or if I should post my questions here?   My first response was so very quick, thank you. 

Since July 20th I have been prescribed 4 new medications (Minipress 1mg, Wellburtrin XL 150, Hydroxyline 25mg up to 200mg a day all of which I discontinued and now Gabapentin starting at 100mg to increase to 300mg.  I am on day three of this am terrified of taking another but equally terrified of the debilitating anxiety which has been a constant since this barrage of medications have come and gone.       

I now think that the original side-effects-PTSD, nightmares and horrible memories that in desperation led me to take yet another medication and completely mess up both my tapering and my system were withdrawal symptoms.   I used another site for guidance and hadn't found you.   

I don't want to continue here if this is not the proper place.  

thank you,

JS11

Edited by baroquep
Paragraph breaks

Hello,

Is anyone available to help me decide what to do about taking another dose of Gabapentin 100mg or discontinuing it?  This is day 3 and I take the 2nd dose at bedtime.    

Also, may I please get assistance on deciding what dose of Escitalopram to take?  I have added and discontinued multiple medicines in a month and also been all over the place on dosage I amounts. 

I would greatly appreciate your guidance.  

Trying to learn how to post and use this site.

Thank you

Edited by baroquep
merged Intro posts

Hello JS11 very sorry you find yourself in this situation , its not fun to find out that what your doctor is telling you was a safe drug , is in fact the complete opposite .  Im hoping the Lex RI allows your system to stabalize , but 20 yrs on SSRI drugs and others means this might not be a quick fix. However though it will fix , we just dont know how long , what you will need to do is avoid anymore prescriptions and  new Diagnosis because you are suffering from withdrawal and nervous system destabilization from psychotropic drugs . THis is not your organic anxiety.

You will heal but need to go slow and not introduce too many things,  im trying to figure out what your on still other than the Lex, I know its hard but try and be patient and hopefully a mod can help you out soon .  Ill check back   but the symptoms from these drugs are really awful , you arent crazy and your not imagining them.  Medical professionals are behind the curve so they dont know about any of this. Its quite common 

Was on 30mg (Lexapro) for 7-8yrs20mg for 3 months (This was my choice my Doc wanted me to drop much faster)15 mg 2week10mg 2 weeks 5 mg 1 week0 since August 24th . PPI Dexlant  30 mg taper has begun. Cutting 20% currently.  using zantac as needed.  Benzo is currently 0.10mg 

JS11 I not a mod and hopefully they can respond , but adding this high dose of GABAPENTIN is not a good idea ,I wouldnt take it , its adding gasoline to the already hot fire.  since your on day 3  I would stop now .  The goal should be try and stabalize on the lowest effective dose of LEXAPRO because thats the one you have been on for awhile.    Your on 10mg of LEX? for how long have you been on this new dose?

Was on 30mg (Lexapro) for 7-8yrs20mg for 3 months (This was my choice my Doc wanted me to drop much faster)15 mg 2week10mg 2 weeks 5 mg 1 week0 since August 24th . PPI Dexlant  30 mg taper has begun. Cutting 20% currently.  using zantac as needed.  Benzo is currently 0.10mg 

Thank you so much, Mort81.  I just feel like I am on a rollercoaster.

I am currently on Adderall XR 5mg.

I have changed my dose of Escitalopram so many times in the past month or so, going from 3.75 to 5, then 7.25 then up to 10mg and back to 7.25.  

The Psychiatrist tells me one thing and I don't want to do it, then I think all the withdrawal symptoms scare me, so I up the dose and back and forth.  So I have totally messed myself up.  

I was on many other antidepressants prior to going on citalopram in 1998, Then switched to newer form Lexapro 2012 then Escitalopram whenever it came out.

I was totally off Escitalopram in February only to restart again at 5mg.  I was tapering Adderall XR (originally on 25mg) and didn't understand the side effects when I tapered to a lower dose.  Psychiatrist wanted me to restart Escitalopram again, which sadly I did.  

Was down to 3.75 to July 1-28 and on Adderall XR 5mg.  

July 20th is when all the horrible nightmares began as did the introduction of new medications.

As per psychiatrist, I increased Escitalopram to 10mg from July 29 -August 4th but I so didn't want to so I kept going back and forth and contributed to my own nightmare.  I didn't know what or how to do this.

Alternated between 5 and 10mg next couple of days.

August 9 at 7.25mg

August 10-14 10mg

August `15-24 at 7.25mg

August 25 to present 10mg.per psychiatrist as I have not been stable at all.  

I think this is fairly accurate.  I "thought" that going back and forth with the dosage would help me reduce faster.  I wasn't thinking straight, I suppose and figured that alternating doses would allow me to lower the dose faster as I just didn't want to take it anymore.

Oh what have I done?

Thank you for being there.  Drs. keep asking if I want to check myself into the pscyh ward.  Um no. What so I could get MORE drugs?

I feel like Frankenstein.

Thank you so much for being there.  And for your help.  I have felt so very alone. 

Edited by baroquep
Paragraph breaks

Wow Mort81,

I just looked at how fast you went off Lexapro.  You have been off since August 24th?  Congratulations!  I cannot imagine going so quickly.  Did you suffer severe withdrawals? Have you noticed anything since eliminating the Lex?  I so hope not!

Thank you again for your kindness

no prob I know how it feels, you need to stay away from the doctors , they are very dangerous , psych wards ya basically they could drug you like a mule!  I have a grip on your story now . Well heres the thing ,  I wont sugar coat this , nobody can help you get through this more than you. You will have support here thats foresure but in the end its up to you . It can take awhile to stabalize . IT will happen but you need to be patient. The zig zagging updose ,downdose all doesnt help but once you get a grip on things it can smooth out hopefully.  So you been on LEX for about a month on 10mg . So Id prob hold now for a bit and see if it improves.  if not and you want off the LEX than you can do a slow slow taper but even that can induce some pretty nasty WD symptoms .  Theres no safe way off drugs these dangerous drugs  but  a slow taper can surely help ! keep things steady for a bit to see how your symptoms are. I have no experience with adderal . SO hopefully a mod can help you with that one. 

I have been through absolute hell , frankly I dont know how im alive. I am improving but getting wrong advice after wrong advice from "so called medical proff" early in the process has made this a slow recovery.  I avoided getting poly drugged to high hell but other than that its been horrible.  

I cannot imagine, well I take that back, I can imagine the hell, sadly and also not knowing how you are alive  

I am seeing a psychiatrist, never really been to one more than a couple times.  She is kind, caring, knowledgeable and didn't just try to shove a pill down my throat the first time I saw her.  She was also supportive of me getting off the Escitalopram (Lexapro is just so much easier to spell.) I know she just wanted to ease my distress--and there was a whole lot of distress--when, what I now know to be withdrawal symptoms, surfaced.  It just is incomprehensible that she hasn't been schooled in this information.  She also teaches other young doctors. I've spoken to one of those interns a couple of times when I was going whacko after hours.  Nothing so humbling as speaking with someone who is only slightly older than 12 whilst trying to stifle your sobs so you don't feel even more ashamed.  I guess when I get farther along I will have to bring her some of the information that I am finding out about.  I will also give it to my internist, who is the big boss of this teaching facility.  She has been my doc for next to forever and is also the one who spent a year-and-a-half talking me into taking my first anti-depressant.  I know she is a lovely, caring soul and would never do anything to intentionally harm anyone.  Again, she just doesn't know.  I have also annoyed her enough over the years that when I send her a copy of this stuff, she will just sigh, but she will also read it.  She teaches young docs too.  So maybe one small ripple in a very large pond.  

Oh here's hoping that others don't have to go through what we have and are.  

I hope you get a wonderful night's sleep.  I locked myself out of my account and so wanted to reply before I hit the hay.

Take care and yes, it is up to me, but it is so much easier when you are not all alone and have those who understand behind you.

Goodnight Mort81

Edited by baroquep
paragraph breaks

Thanks JS11 , you are very kind and thoughtful  !  I know you can imagine what Ive gone through , i dont doubt that ! IF your psychiatrist is genuine than keep going to her  , dont accept a new diagnosis and no new pills , but she actually sounds quite caring . One thing that's foresure is not all these doctors are monsters . They are just schooled with books from Pharma, so when they are in School they are essentially being taught by the drug companies about the their drugs. So if the drug companies were honest about the bad side of the drugs than how many prescriptions would these doctors hand out? not many! . This only applies to the psychotropic drugs of course that I know of , but the books say they are very safe effective pills with no addiction and very small and short WD symptoms that dont last more than a few weeks!  

Anyway Some doctors have figured it out . I actually see one , but I wouldnt think they start out like that . I think they learn from their patients and know something isnt right.  DR HEALY is one of the best ,  His website RXISK.org is a good place to download information .https://rxisk.org/tools/guides/    There are many documentaries aswell that identify the difficulties with these drugs. I dont suggest you watch them though they are very intense and can trigger some bad feelings for you , better to wait unitl you are healed.  https://www.facebook.com/LettersFromGenerationRx/  I dont have the direct link as I think the film has to bought for 5$ or something.  or there are other like one called OVERPILL which is free on youtube.   Im not sure what is exactly the best thing to take to a doctor to hammer home a point.  Maybe she might start to realize something .   But again im not so sure whats the best article ,website etc too help her understand.   my psychologist who understands WD  sent my new GP information about WD and speaks to her on the phone ETC... and she still doesnt get it or full believe him.  mainly because 99% of doctors dont believe in it , so why would she believe the 1%. ,  I think he sent her links from RXISK.org cause he told me to go there.  

But anyway , remember you have already dealt with hell so I have no doubt you are a tough cookie ! be strong and you will get through this !! Have a good sleep!

Thank you for the information Mort81, it sounds like you have some caring souls in your life too.  Oh it makes such a difference to have someone who believes in you.

I think I have been to the RXISK site before when I was wandering around the internet desperately Googling for help and information.  So very thankful I ended up here.  So much useful knowledge.  

I do so want to talk to my Psychiatrist, hand her the information on tapering and say, "Please, please can you help me get through this?" But there is also a part of me that is insecure and very afraid that she will say no and I might lose access to someone who has been so very caring and kind--especially in the last couple of months when I have been at the worst I have been in so very long.  I doubt she would kick me to the curb--so fearful at the moment it seems-but I suppose the thought of being all alone and not having someone to actually talk to, overwhelms me.  A medicine she prescribed and a subsequent adverse reaction are what led me to want to permanently rid my body of all these prescriptions.  I began seeing her a little over a year-and-a-half ago and I suppose she has been a constant witness to what I now know are withdrawals--although I didn't know it at the time.  I just thought it was depression and anxiety.  

Didn't take the Gaba last night per your suggestion. Took 5mg tab of Escitalopram and 2,5mg liquid.  (was reading something here about doing that.  I think to help with absorption and dose accuracy, but can't quite remember.) Then another 1mg a couple hours later.  I am so reluctant to go back to 10mg.  Haven't heard back from any moderators.  I don't know how that process works as I'm sure they get so very many requests, but so desperate for guidance.  

Not doing so well at the moment.  Shortly after waking, had waves of anxiety, tingling and numbness all over my body. The anxiety seems to frighten me the most.  I just feel so very out of control.  It seems to have dissipated a little.  Maybe the addition of another 1mg of Escitalopram.  I don't know.  

So want to get my system back in order.  

Did you ever experience any of these symptoms with Lexapro?  Others?  

Thank you for listening and being a kind ear out there.  Must admit that the first thing I did to this a.m. was to turn on my computer and see if anyone had responded to my posts.  

Thank you for doing so, Mort81.  It means a lot.

I hope you are so enjoying your day.

take care

Edited by baroquep
paragraph breaks

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi JS. I am concerned about you jumping around with doses.  It is so hard but your brain needs stability. Starting and stopping drugs will only add to the problem. Changing doses will not help you to stabilise. I know you want to be off lexapro. We understand that completely, we are all here because we wanted to be off the drugs we have been taking but discovered that coming off is not easy. That is what this site is about, coming off the drugs SAFELY rather than quickly.  

You need to take the same doses, every day at the same time. Your body needs this in order to stabiise.  Are you still taking zolpidem?  If so, how often? 

22 hours ago, JS11 said:

I took 2 100mg doses yesterday and felt a relief from the horrible anxiety for the first time in a month.  Felt good actually.  Such a welcome thing.  I also was much less zombie like, probably due to reduction of Hydroxyline.  

Mid-afternoon, anxiety crept back in but not in such an overwhelming way. Took 2nd dose of 100mg Gaba 12 hrs later.  

Awoke with horrible anxiety and again took 100mg of Gababentin.  I suppose I just wanted that same relief again.

Anxiety present from about 6am to 12pm.  Side-effects:  dry mouth, stomach upset, cramps in side, some dizziness though not too bad, and very odd and uncomfortable numbness--had that whilst on Hydroxyline as well.

If you continue with gabapentin you will have to taper that eventually too, and the doses will get higher as you need more to get the same effect .Read the patient information very carefully. The side effects DO happen to people and you are now sensitive so will most likely suffer from at least some of them.  The hydroxazine can be tapered faster than we usually recommend but the lexapro and adderal must be consistent doses. If you decide to take gabapentin that too should be the same dose every day but it will be long term, you will not be able to just stop it in a week or 2. 

We all want quick fixes, it is what got us all on drugs,  wanting things to get better.  Doctors are faced with distresssed patients wanting that magic pill and they try to find it but they have no idea about the chaos it causes for a nervous system.  

In the past I have been begging my psychiatrist for something, anything, and they were happy to oblige but what I didn't know was that it was the drugs they prescribed that caused my problems. The withdrawal, the adverse reactions, the suicidality. All because of the drugs that were prescribed when all I needed was rest and recuperation after a period of stress and the resulting insomnia. I would have been fine in a few weeks but ended up drugged and unable to work for over 20 years. That is why I do what I do here, to try and help others to escape the drugs that stole 2 decades from me. 

Can you confirm what you are taking right now, is it 5mg tablet and 2.5mg liquid?  Or are you adding the 1mg liquid to make it 8.5?  Whichever dose you feel is best for you, stick with that dose. It will take time to stabilise but it is very important to stay consistent. 

How often do you take zolpidem? 

How are you taking hydroxezine? 

**I am not a medical professional, if in doubt please consult a doctor with withdrawal knowledge.

1993 - 2002 in and out of hospital. every type of drug + ECT. Staring with seroxat

2002  effexor. 

Taking fish oil, magnesium, B12, folic acid, bilberry eyebright for eye pressure. 

My story http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/4199-hello-mammap-checking-in/page-33

Lesson learned, slow down taper at lower doses. Taper no more than 10% of CURRENT dose if possible

4 hours ago, mammaP said:

Hi JS. I am concerned about you jumping around with doses.  It is so hard but your brain needs stability. Starting and stopping drugs will only add to the problem. Changing doses will not help you to stabilise. I know you want to be off lexapro. We understand that completely, we are all here because we wanted to be off the drugs we have been taking but discovered that coming off is not easy. That is what this site is about, coming off the drugs SAFELY rather than quickly.  

You need to take the same doses, every day at the same time. Your body needs this in order to stabiise.  Are you still taking zolpidem?  If so, how often? 

If you continue with gabapentin you will have to taper that eventually too, and the doses will get higher as you need more to get the same effect .Read the patient information very carefully. The side effects DO happen to people and you are now sensitive so will most likely suffer from at least some of them.  The hydroxazine can be tapered faster than we usually recommend but the lexapro and adderal must be consistent doses. If you decide to take gabapentin that too should be the same dose every day but it will be long term, you will not be able to just stop it in a week or 2. 

We all want quick fixes, it is what got us all on drugs,  wanting things to get better.  Doctors are faced with distresssed patients wanting that magic pill and they try to find it but they have no idea about the chaos it causes for a nervous system.  

In the past I have been begging my psychiatrist for something, anything, and they were happy to oblige but what I didn't know was that it was the drugs they prescribed that caused my problems. The withdrawal, the adverse reactions, the suicidality. All because of the drugs that were prescribed when all I needed was rest and recuperation after a period of stress and the resulting insomnia. I would have been fine in a few weeks but ended up drugged and unable to work for over 20 years. That is why I do what I do here, to try and help others to escape the drugs that stole 2 decades from me. 

Can you confirm what you are taking right now, is it 5mg tablet and 2.5mg liquid?  Or are you adding the 1mg liquid to make it 8.5?  Whichever dose you feel is best for you, stick with that dose. It will take time to stabilise but it is very important to stay consistent. 

How often do you take zolpidem? 

How are you taking hydroxezine? 

Hello Mamma P. 

Thank you for your support.  I just read what you said about losing 2 decades and started to cry.  I, too, have lost about that much life and am so desperate to have one again.   I don't want to lose anymore. 

The whole fiasco with all the recent meds was my own ignorance at withdrawal symptoms and going too fast. The anxiety, nightmares and PTSD and suicidality were overpowering and terrifying.  I had not felt that way in so long and things were surfacing that I didn't even know were there.  In desperation,  I finally grasped at what was repeatedly offered.  The last couple of months have been sheer misery. 

I did not take the Gabapentin last PM and will not take it again.

My last dose of Hydroxyline, was on August 28, a total of 75mg, This was the first day I started Gabapentin.

I do usually take my medication every morning at the same time.

This morning I took Adderall XR5mg which has been at a consistent dose for some time.

I also Levothryroxitine (thryroid) 112mcg.

I didn't know what to do with the Escitalopram as I have been back and forth between 7.25 and 10mg.  

I read something that was posted about taking part tablet and part liquid to try and get the dosage accurate.

I took a total of 8.5mgs  I started with 7.5mg and the anxiety, numbness, tingling were so intense that I took another 1mg about 2 hours after the original dose.  I just didn't know what to do.

I was on Zolepidem for years and eliminated it maybe 2 years ago.  I have taken a very occasional dose of 2.5 mgs.  

Recently--maybe the past week or so?  I have used 2.5mg. not  daily and more to combat the rampage of side-effects.  I just wanted some peace.

Yes, as someone in recovery (alcohol), it scares me to think a pill will fix me.  I got that way with Anti-depressants before even though I "knew" and was told they didn't work that way.  Frightening, frightening, frightening.  Also, makes me feel like I have failed.  

I usually take 3mg Melatonin to assist with sleep.

I also take Omega 3's and have been using Magniseum Citrate.

No, I do not want to do this too fast.  I do realize that my system has been battered by all these chemicals, however, I didn't fully comprehend how harmful the constant dosage change of Escitalopram was.  The new prescriptions were supposed to ease the apparent withdrawal side-effects I was having.  The psychiatrist wanted me to updose on Escitalopram, which I didn't want to do, so I stubbornly and stupidly went back and forth on the dosage amount.  This produced more side-effects and yet another prescription.  Round and round she goes.  I just didn't know what to do nor did I know what I was doing.  

I will gladly accept your guidance, advice and experience. I am just so very afraid. 

Thank you again for your kindness,

take care,

JS11

Edited by baroquep
paragraph breaks

• Moderator Emeritus

Did 8.5 help? Maybe that is the dose to go for and stick with. It will take time to stabilise but you WILL get better. Your nervous system is screaming but will settle down. 

This was written by one of our moderators who is now living her life to the full, it makes it simple to understand what is happening to us. Your brain is constantly adjusting and trying to regain homeostasis. It takes time but it will get there,m it is a remarkable organ. IT controls your nervous system which controls everything in your body. One thing is fixed, then another amd another. I liken it to a plate of spaghetti, a tangles web that needs untangling!  

Read our Rhi's take on brain remodelling. 

2002  effexor. 

Your right it makes such a big difference when someone in your life believes you.  All the difference in the world . I have two people who are doing this with me . But everyone else in my life doesn't take this serious or thinks it's anxiety and depression.  Nobody believes or wants to believe what the drugs can do to you . I have dealt with so many of those symptoms from the LEX. It's a horrible drug as are all SSRI drugs.  Truly awful.

All of it is hard , I got some very bad symptoms for long periods of time.  I still have some and other ls have drastically weakened or gone away. I think you gotta stick with a steady dose of Lex. Maybe 8.5 is the right spot .  But even when your trying to stabalize it can take a little while for all these symptoms to improve.  Hang tight and do your best ! I know how hard it is . 

I also know what you mean about asking your doc to help with a micro taper.  But it's your health now and it's more important than her approval or support .  But to be honest I think u need to stick with the same doses and same drugs for now.  Just to see if being steady will help reduce some of your symptoms .

Okay last few things , if you haven't gone up to 10 mg than don't.  If you have been taking 7-8.5 mg than choose one of those doses and stick with it.   And yes  those symptoms are so tough  , I never had a chance or the guts to try a reinstatement and I don't know if it would have helped.  But doing a rapid taper was hell on earth and although I'm getting better it's been a long ,slow painful road . I've had all those symptoms , the suicidal thoughts and feelings are horrific.  Because if it was just the thoughts then it's not as bad , but the feelings that accompany the thoughts are overwhelming and powerful.  Awful!  If we didn't take drugs we could have those thoughts  but not feel it anywhere close . The chemical part sends the power of those thoughts through the roof ! We call them neuro-emotions here.  Same with you anxiety.  That's not you , you could never get that kind of anxiety without the drugs you are on.  This is the battle we all face . Having to endure the hell until it weakens , like a  hurricane.  Being able to seperate yourself from your drug reactions, wd etc... it tough but when u realize it's not u , it's easier to deal with.  When someone believes the misinformed doctor that this is in fact them and not the drugs , then there chance of surviving this is slim IMO. 

HOPE you get some relief today!  Even just a little piece of mind !

Edited by baroquep
paragraph breaks

2 hours ago, mammaP said:

Did 8.5 help? Maybe that is the dose to go for and stick with. It will take time to stabilise but you WILL get better. Your nervous system is screaming but will settle down. 

This was written by one of our moderators who is now living her life to the full, it makes it simple to understand what is happening to us. Your brain is constantly adjusting and trying to regain homeostasis. It takes time but it will get there,m it is a remarkable organ. IT controls your nervous system which controls everything in your body. One thing is fixed, then another amd another. I liken it to a plate of spaghetti, a tangles web that needs untangling!  

I'm not sure that 8.5 is the perfect fit but I'm  going to stick with it rather than upping to 9mg or back to 10mg.  I hope this won't be too traumatic but  I don't want to mess with anything else at this time.

I will stop Zolipedem as the Melatonin usually does the trick.  With everything going on, I have just forgotten to do so in a timely manner.  Per a sleep specialist my Doc. knows, you are supposed to take a very small amount, 1mg, after supper as it takes 5 or 6 hrs. to kick in.  Most people take it right before bed without success and wake up groggy.

I so appreciated the link you provided.  Answers are what I have been searching for for so very long.  

And I love spaghetti!  Thank for the analogy.

I am so very grateful for you.

take care,

JS.   

Edited by baroquep
paragraph breaks

40 minutes ago, Mort81 said:

Your right it makes such a big difference when someone in your life believes you.  All the difference in the world . I have two people who are doing this with me . But everyone else in my life doesn't take this serious or thinks it's anxiety and depression.  Nobody believes or wants to believe what the drugs can do to you . I have dealt with so many of those symptoms from the LEX. It's a horrible drug as are all SSRI drugs.  Truly awful.   All of it is hard , I got some very bad symptoms for long periods of time.  I still have some and other ls have drastically weakened or gone away. I think you gotta stick with a steady dose of Lex. Maybe 8.5 is the right spot .  But even when your trying to stabalize it can take a little while for all these symptoms to improve.  Hang tight and do your best ! I know how hard it is . 

I also know what you mean about asking your doc to help with a micro taper.  But it's your health now and it's more important than her approval or support .  But to be honest I think u need to stick with the same doses and same drugs for now.  Just to see if being steady will help reduce some of your symptoms .

Okay last few things , if you haven't gone up to 10 mg than don't.  If you have been taking 7-8.5 mg than choose one of those doses and stick with it.   And yes  those symptoms are so tough  , I never had a chance or the guts to try a reinstatement and I don't know if it would have helped.  But doing a rapid taper was hell on earth and although I'm getting better it's been a long ,slow painful road . I've had all those symptoms , the suicidal thoughts and feelings are horrific.  Because if it was just the thoughts then it's not as bad , but the feelings that accompany the thoughts are overwhelming and powerful.  Awful!  If we didn't take drugs we could have those thoughts  but not feel it anywhere close . The chemical part sends the power of those thoughts through the roof ! We call them neuro-emotions here.  Same with you anxiety.  That's not you , you could never get that kind of anxiety without the drugs you are on.  This is the battle we all face . Having to endure the hell until it weakens , like a  hurricane.  Being able to seperate yourself from your drug reactions, wd etc... it tough but when u realize it's not u , it's easier to deal with.  When someone believes the misinformed doctor that this is in fact them and not the drugs , then there chance of surviving this is slim IMO. 

HOPE you get some relief today!  Even just a little piece of mind !

Oh you are so very wise, Mort81.  Your words are so comforting, like a verbal hug.  Sometimes that's all that I've needed is just someone to hold my hand, give me a hug and tell me it will all be okay.  Knowing that it eventually will, makes even horrible thoughts and feelings like these more bearable.  I have felt so much compassion here.  It is so very difficult to share what is truly going on when the things in your head and body are terrifying, especially the suicidal ones.  I know it scares the few friends I still talk to.They don't know what to do.  They ask if I have seen my counselor--I also have a great ally there--My counselor asks if I have seen my Doctor.  My Doctor asks if I have seen my counselor and the psychiatrist wants me to consider yet another pill and round and round it goes.  They are all good, caring people.  But try as they might, they just don't get it.  It has made me feel smaller and smaller. And yes, quite damaged and just unable to successfully do all those things that make life what it is supposed to be.  

The neuro-emotions make so much sense.  When I originally tapering off Lex., I suddenly got, well, bold and stood up for myself-especially with my siblings.  Something that I hadn't done in years.  It didn't go over well.  I don't how to explain it exactly.  It's as if the anti-depressant strangled my voice.  I would want to say, "Um, that is NOT okay: but found I just couldn't get the words out for life of me. A part of me thought, "I remember you. Where have you been?"  I didn't realize and know I still don't, all the things these medications have done to my being, I guess. I don't know if things like this have happened to you.  Sudden realizations of all the things these chemicals have done to our brains.  The separation of the person and the drugs, just makes so much sense.  That has truly been missing.  I have felt like a diagnosis.

It is hopeful to hear you say that the some of your symptoms have lessened.  I am so very glad for you. May the others be on their way soon.

As per the dosage, I am going to stay at 8.5 mg of the Lex/Escitalopram.  I don't even want to mess with going up to 9mg.  Oh I do crave some stability.  I am also going to discontinue the Zolipedem.  I used it for years, was off for maybe a couple only resorting to it occasionally.  I was so desperate for some peace that I grabbed on for a bit of relief.  It is disconcerting to do so, when I know a pill is not the answer. Just having a plan to stick to and people to honestly share what is really going on, does bring a great sigh of relief.  

Thank you so, Mort81,

I hope you had a remarkable day.  

take care,

JS11

Oh, P.S.  Although my Psychiatrist wasn't available, I did talk to her nurse about discontinuing the Gabapentin and getting off the other drugs ever so gradually.  She was lovely and supportive.  One down....

• Moderator Emeritus
19 minutes ago, JS11 said:

I know it scares the few friends I still talk to.They don't know what to do.

Something that I read in a book once really stuck with me and I try and remind myself of it and I have told me friends to remind me if needed:

They are just thoughts/feelings and thoughts/feelings change.

Then I just try and find a way to ride it out until they do.

* NO LONGER ACTIVE on SA *

MISSION ACCOMPLISHED:  (6 year taper)      0mg Pristiq  on 13th November 2021

ADs since ~1992:  25+ years - 1 unknown, Prozac (muscle weakness), Zoloft; citalopram (pooped out) CTed (very sick for 2.5 wks a few months after); Pristiq:  50mg 2012, 100mg beg 2013 (Serotonin Toxicity)  Tapering from Oct 2015 - 13 Nov 2021   LAST DOSE 0.0025mg

Post 0 updates start here    My tapering program     My Intro (goes to tapering graph)

VIDEO:   Antidepressant Withdrawal Syndrome and its Management

1 hour ago, ChessieCat said:

Something that I read in a book once really stuck with me and I try and remind myself of it and I have told me friends to remind me if needed:

Thank you Chessiecat.  I need to remember that too..  

I appreciate your kind words.

Just now, JS11 said:

Thank you Chessiecat.  I need to remember that too..  

I appreciate your kind words.

P.S. I love your little kitty!

Hi, 

Mamma P. said to post in a quote when you need help from a moderator so I hope I am doing this correctly.

7am 8.5mg Escitalopram (5mg tab 3,5mg liquid), 2nd day going to stick to a consistent dose, Have been all over the place after updosing? Adderall XR 5mg, Thyroid 112mcg

Day 1 after eliminating multiple RX prescribed to assist with side-effects from reinstating? Escitalopram/Believe it was also due to Withdrawal.  

Waves of anxiety upon waking.  Keep coming  (Read about morning cortisal in thread.  Had pulled shades night before, maybe this will help).  

Weird numbness, dizziness comes and goes, mouth like a desert.  

Just feel very empty and afraid.  

15 hours ago, ChessieCat said:

Just needed to say hi to someone out there.  Awoke with anxiety.  I have a hard time with that as it feels so very out of control.  It's scary and I get afraid.  

thank you,

• Moderator Emeritus

You will be fine J, you will feel all kinds of symptoms as you stabilise but it is all part of the process. You just need to remember that this will pass. I was in your shoes when I came here and almost went to hospital. I am so glad that I didn't. They were all right, I did stabilise and so will you. Hang in there. and ride those waves! 

2002  effexor. 

• Moderator Emeritus

18 hours ago, mammaP said:

Hi JS11, 

I've moved your post from another member's thread and recommend that you post all of your questions and/or requests for help in your own topic so that all of your own personal information respecting your situation is kept in one place.  It makes things a lot easier for moderators to see what is going on with you.

Sorry to hear that you are dealing with anxiety, please be assured that, while very uncomfortable, dealing with anxiety is completely normal under the circumstances.  From what I can see by your history, you've just made a change to your medication and it can take some time before the symptoms settle down.  I do remember when I first started tapering, the anxiety could be pretty bad.  I'd wake up in the morning with anxiety and it would sometimes take all day to resolved.  Having to go into work was a nightmare some days, it was all I could do to sit and my desk and hope it would stop.  

Eventually it did, but it took a lot of time for my central nervous system to stabilize and calm down.  Unfortunately this is the nature of what we are dealing with and all I can suggest is to find a few techniques that you can use to help ease the anxiety.  Know it is hard to do when you are in the middle of it, but we have to try and take the next step, rather than sitting in the fear, to do something for ourselves that will help distract the mind.  

Am going to attach a few links to see if there is something that you can find to incorporate into your daily life that can be a "tool box" of sorts to reach into when things are getting really frightened.  Often when I was feeling like this, I couldn't do anything at all except sit in front of my computer to search and find out why the hell this was happening to me, I really needed to understand.  I'm not sure that was entirely useful but I did end up finding a link on this site one day that explained to me what was happening in my brain and why I was feeling the way I was.  It helped me to realize that I have to have patience and that it really didn't matter than I didn't want this to be happening, it was going to happen whether I liked it or not, and I had to try and talk myself out of running with the fear and learn ways to cope with the uncomfortable symptoms.

I got through the uncomfortable months and want to reassure you that you will too, it just takes time and extraordinary patience and the ability to look for ways to soothe ourselves through uncomfortable moments and to treat ourselves with tender loving care.  It's not easy, believe me, I know what you are going through.  Trust me though, it does get better and you will look back on this experience and realize just how strong you really are.  

Brain Remodelling 

Claire Weekes' Method of Recovering from a Sensitized Nervous System

Fear, terror, panic, and anxiety

Neuro Emotions
Non-drug techniques to cope with emotional symptoms

Current Prescription Drugs for Hypothyroidism:  Synthroid 100mcg / Cytomel 5mcg (15 years Pristiq/Effexor)

Tapering Schedule
September 15, 2016 - switched from Pristiq 50mg to Effexor XR 75mg; November 10, 2016 - reduced to 67.5 Effexor XR
December 9, 2016 - reduced 60.75
January 5, 2017 - reduced 54.67
January 30, 2017 - reduced to 49.0
February 20, 2017 - reduced to 44.0 
May 20, 2017 - reduced to 40.25 (holding for additional month due to late onset of withdrawal symptoms after this taper)
July 17, 2017 - reduced to 38.24
August 15, 2017 - reduced to 37.5 (50% of my original dose)

October 15, 2017 - reduced to 35.6

November 12, 2017 - reduced to 33.8
December 15, 2017 - up-dose to 35.6
December 28, 2017 - up-dose to 37.5

7 minutes ago, baroquep said:

Hi JS11, 

I've moved your post from another member's thread and recommend that you post all of your questions and/or requests for help in your own topic so that all of your own personal information respecting your situation is kept in one place.  It makes things a lot easier for moderators to see what is going on with you.

Sorry to hear that you are dealing with anxiety, please be assured that, while very uncomfortable, dealing with anxiety is completely normal under the circumstances.  From what I can see by your history, you've just made a change to your medication and it can take some time before the symptoms settle down.  I do remember when I first started tapering, the anxiety could be pretty bad.  I'd wake up in the morning with anxiety and it would sometimes take all day to resolved.  Having to go into work was a nightmare some days, it was all I could do to sit and my desk and hope it would stop.  

Eventually it did, but it took a lot of time for my central nervous system to stabilize and calm down.  Unfortunately this is the nature of what we are dealing with and all I can suggest is to find a few techniques that you can use to help ease the anxiety.  Know it is hard to do when you are in the middle of it, but we have to try and take the next step, rather than sitting in the fear, to do something for ourselves that will help distract the mind.  

Am going to attach a few links to see if there is something that you can find to incorporate into your daily life that can be a "tool box" of sorts to reach into when things are getting really frightened.  Often when I was feeling like this, I couldn't do anything at all except sit in front of my computer to search and find out why the hell this was happening to me, I really needed to understand.  I'm not sure that was entirely useful but I did end up finding a link on this site one day that explained to me what was happening in my brain and why I was feeling the way I was.  It helped me to realize that I have to have patience and that it really didn't matter than I didn't want this to be happening, it was going to happen whether I liked it or not, and I had to try and talk myself out of running with the fear and learn ways to cope with the uncomfortable symptoms.

I got through the uncomfortable months and want to reassure you that you will too, it just takes time and extraordinary patience and the ability to look for ways to soothe ourselves through uncomfortable moments and to treat ourselves with tender loving care.  It's not easy, believe me, I know what you are going through.  Trust me though, it does get better and you will look back on this experience and realize just how strong you really are.  

Brain Remodelling 

Claire Weekes' Method of Recovering from a Sensitized Nervous System

Fear, terror, panic, and anxiety

Neuro Emotions
Non-drug techniques to cope with emotional symptoms

Thank you for responding Baroquep.  I so appreciate the links.  Knowing what is happening does help me understand.  

I was tying to get off Antidepressants before I found your site and didn't fully understand the withdrawal symptoms that I was having. I then increased a dose of an anti per my psychiatrist which lead to all kinds symptoms.  I was then prescribed and in desperation, reluctantly took a total of 4 different medicines since July 20.  This, and the constant up and down with my Antidepressant dose have done a number on my system.  At least I have more understanding of the situation now, and also a sense of validation I suppose.  

Thank you for your kindness.  

take care,

Jeri

• Moderator Emeritus

Hello JS on your thread also.

I was also very perplexed about how to interact with people when I first got here. I was in terrible anguish and I didn't really care about how much was revealing about myself. Although it's all visible online I still don't care much because this is my safe place where people understand. 

Reading through other people's threads and seeing who you resonate with, getting in contact with them is a good place to start finding friends and building your own mini-support group within the group here.

Us who are dealing with Escitalopram/Lexapro/Cipralex sort of stick together :)

So nice to meet you ;)

Current: 9/2022 Xanax 0.08, Lexapro 2

2020 Xanax 0.26 (down from 2 mg in 2013), Lexapro 2.85 mg (down from 5 mg 2013)

Amitriptyline (tricyclic AD) and clonazepam for 3 months to treat headache in 1996 
1999. - present Xanax prn up to 3 mg.
2000-2005 Prozac CT twice, 2005-2010 Zoloft CT 3 times, 2010-2013 Escitalopram 10 mg
went from 2.5 to zero on 7 Aug 2013, bad crash 40 days after
reinstated to 5 mg Escitalopram 4Oct 2013 and holding liquid Xanax every 5 hours
28 Jan 2014 Xanax 1.9, 18 Apr  2015 1 mg,  25 June 2015 Lex 4.8, 6 Aug Lexapro 4.6, 1 Jan 2016 0.64  Xanax     9 month hold

24 Sept 2016 4.5 Lex, 17 Oct 4.4 Lex (Nov 0.63 Xanax, Dec 0.625 Xanax), 1 Jan 2017 4.3 Lex, 24 Jan 4.2, 5 Feb 4.1, 24 Mar 4 mg, 10 Apr 3.9 mg, May 3.85, June 3.8, July 3.75, 22 July 3.7, 15 Aug 3.65, 17 Sept 3.6, 1 Jan 2018 3.55, 19 Jan 3.5, 16 Mar 3.4, 14 Apr 3.3, 23 May 3.2, 16 June 3.15, 15 Jul 3.1, 31 Jul 3, 21 Aug 2.9 26 Sept 2.85, 14 Nov Xan 0.61, 1 Dec 0.59, 19 Dec 0.58, 4 Jan 0.565, 6 Feb 0.55, 20 Feb 0.535, 1 Mar 0.505, 10 Mar 0.475, 14 Mar 0.45, 4 Apr 0.415, 13 Apr 0.37, 21 Apr 0.33, 29 Apr 0.29, 10 May 0.27, 17 May 0.25, 28 May 0.22, 19 June 0.22, 21 Jun updose to 0.24, 24 Jun updose to 0.26

Supplements: Omega 3 + Vit E, Vit C, D, magnesium, Taurine, probiotic 

I'm not a medical professional. Any advice I give is based on my own experience and reading. 

27 minutes ago, bubble said:

Hello JS on your thread also.

I was also very perplexed about how to interact with people when I first got here. I was in terrible anguish and I didn't really care about how much was revealing about myself. Although it's all visible online I still don't care much because this is my safe place where people understand. 

Reading through other people's threads and seeing who you resonate with, getting in contact with them is a good place to start finding friends and building your own mini-support group within the group here.

Us who are dealing with Escitalopram/Lexapro/Cipralex sort of stick together :)

So nice to meet you ;)

Oh thank you, Bubble!  Anguish is right.  Here was this kind voice in the darkness and I grabbed hold for dear life.  Like the first day of kindergarten and you have someone to sit by but then the second day when they sit by someone else?  It just feels so strange.

Some of the things going in on in my head are so very heavy!  Too heavy, Get them out of there.  Then you share with someone, breath a sigh of relief, but then comes the doubt, at least with me.  I just don't talk about this with others.  I would have loved to but I couldn't find anyone. Or maybe it just seems too shameful? I'm sure that will lessen when my body and brain quiet down a little.   I do have an amazing and caring doctor, who has been with me forever (talked me into taking my first antidepressant eons ago, she did),  and the psychiatrist I have been seeing, while kind and understanding too, keeps wanting me to take a pharmaceutical.  Um no!!!!!  I cannot tell you the relief I feel having somewhere to go.  

I love your name.  I was so very creative with mine, initials. I was Googling Alto Strata and thought, oh maybe this person likes clouds.  (alto strateum)  Then I found a link on Google.  What an amazing human she is.  As are you for being on staff.     

And, it's lovely to meet you as well.  I so appreciate your suggestions and thank you for quelling my fears.   All so very new.  I will look for those similarly prescribed.  Cipralex?  Must be the European version.  

take care, JS

On 31/08/2017 at 9:09 PM, JS11 said:

Oh you are so very wise, Mort81.  Your words are so comforting, like a verbal hug.  Sometimes that's all that I've needed is just someone to hold my hand, give me a hug and tell me it will all be okay.  Knowing that it eventually will, makes even horrible thoughts and feelings like these more bearable.  I have felt so much compassion here.  It is so very difficult to share what is truly going on when the things in your head and body are terrifying, especially the suicidal ones.  I know it scares the few friends I still talk to.They don't know what to do.  They ask if I have seen my counselor--I also have a great ally there--My counselor asks if I have seen my Doctor.  My Doctor asks if I have seen my counselor and the psychiatrist wants me to consider yet another pill and round and round it goes.  They are all good, caring people.  But try as they might, they just don't get it.  It has made me feel smaller and smaller. And yes, quite damaged and just unable to successfully do all those things that make life what it is supposed to be.  

The neuro-emotions make so much sense.  When I originally tapering off Lex., I suddenly got, well, bold and stood up for myself-especially with my siblings.  Something that I hadn't done in years.  It didn't go over well.  I don't how to explain it exactly.  It's as if the anti-depressant strangled my voice.  I would want to say, "Um, that is NOT okay: but found I just couldn't get the words out for life of me. A part of me thought, "I remember you. Where have you been?"  I didn't realize and know I still don't, all the things these medications have done to my being, I guess. I don't know if things like this have happened to you.  Sudden realizations of all the things these chemicals have done to our brains.  The separation of the person and the drugs, just makes so much sense.  That has truly been missing.  I have felt like a diagnosis.

It is hopeful to hear you say that the some of your symptoms have lessened.  I am so very glad for you. May the others be on their way soon.

As per the dosage, I am going to stay at 8.5 mg of the Lex/Escitalopram.  I don't even want to mess with going up to 9mg.  Oh I do crave some stability.  I am also going to discontinue the Zolipedem.  I used it for years, was off for maybe a couple only resorting to it occasionally.  I was so desperate for some peace that I grabbed on for a bit of relief.  It is disconcerting to do so, when I know a pill is not the answer. Just having a plan to stick to and people to honestly share what is really going on, does bring a great sigh of relief.  

Thank you so, Mort81,

I hope you had a remarkable day.  

take care,

JS11

Oh, P.S.  Although my Psychiatrist wasn't available, I did talk to her nurse about discontinuing the Gabapentin and getting off the other drugs ever so gradually.  She was lovely and supportive.  One down....

Glad I could have been some help to you :)a Nd thanks for the well wishes!   we are all experienced with that your going through so it's def comforting knowing your not imagining this stuff.  Especially when the world is trying to tell you different.  When doctors provide labels and diagnosis they make you feel smaller and smaller , and that's the trap alot of us fall into . Is thinking we are powerless and need some kind of drug to mask how F'd up we are . It's a backwards process that get so many people hooked . But we all thought our problems were worse than they really were?  I know those problems don't come close to this nightmare!  

You might find that you speak up more now!  And that's not a bad thing sometimes, it's almost like you lose your patience because what your going through is so tough! I hope your siblings treat you okay during this time.  But I know it doesn't always work that way.  I think its good you stick up for yourself . But be aware of neuro anger . It's been one of my worst symptoms . It's when you feel like doing more than just standing up for youR self. 

Keep steady you are doing good , I am hoping by reinstating and holding steady that many of the symptoms will be kept at bay . Than when it stabalizes you can taper off extra slow.  I will check back with you!  I did something stupid a few  days ago, I flossed a tooth that had a cap.  Was waiting to do dental work when I was better but I flossed my tooth and ripped the other half of my tooth off . So now I need a dentist and I'm not excited to go ! I hope you have a good weekend JS!!

One thing I was gonna say , is if the anxiety is unbearable we have a supplement section where people have lists what helps ajd what doesn't.  But we also warn to try even natural supplements at the lowest doses to see what helps and avoid a bad reaction.  I've had some success with kava kava and magnesium.  As well as earlier in wd I took lemon balm tea and passion flower extract.  But lemon balm after a while I drank too much tea and was hungover for a few days.  But u can try natural supplements just the lowest amount ! 

I would like to point out that SA does not condone the use of Kava Kava.  It is essentially an snri and an sdri long with having similar affects as Benzos. It is also highly active on the GABA receptors.  It can reach tolerance in as little as three months and must be carefully tapered.  It interferes with the metabolizing of most psychotropic drugs by affecting the liver and can cause severe liver damage with just a few months use.  We recommend that you stay away from this supplement.

20 years on Paxil starting at 20mg and working up to 40mg. Sept 2011 started 10% every 6 weeks taper (2.5% every week for 4 weeks then hold for 2 additional weeks), currently at 7.9mg. Oct 2011 CTed 15oz vodka a night, to only drinking 2 beers most nights, totally sober Feb 2013.

Since I wrote this I have continued to decrease my dose by 10% every 6 weeks (2.5% every week for 4 weeks and then hold for an additional 2 weeks). I added in an extra 6 week hold when I hit 10mg to let things settle out even more. When I hit 3mgpw it became hard to split the drop into 4 parts so I switched to dropping 1mgpw (pill weight) every week for 3 weeks and then holding for another 3 weeks.  The 3 + 3 schedule turned out to be too harsh so I cut back to dropping 1mgpw every 4 weeks which is working better.

Final Dose 0.016mg.     Current dose 0.000mg 04-15-2017

"It's also important not to become angry, no matter how difficult life is, because you can loose all hope if you can't laugh at yourself and at life in general."  Stephen Hawking

Sorry about that recommendedation . I didn't realize that about it.  

12 minutes ago, brassmonkey said:

I would like to point out that SA does not condone the use of Kava Kava.  It is essentially an snri and an sdri long with having similar affects as Benzos. It is also highly active on the GABA receptors.  It can reach tolerance in as little as three months and must be carefully tapered.  It interferes with the metabolizing of most psychotropic drugs by affecting the liver and can cause severe liver damage with just a few months use.  We recommend that you stay away from this supplement.

Thank you Brassmonkey and Mort81.  I did look on in the supplement section earlier and had read other comments from people who talked about Magnesium.  I am taking Magnesium Glycinate--not sure if this is a recommended blend--but purchased some of the fizzy kind earlier today.  I am very wary of most everything at the moment and will definitely be cautious.  

take care

I appreciate you kind concern.