Hussy: has anyone recovered from PSSD substantially

hussy

Hi I took effaxor for 5 months 75mg. I stopped 4.5 months ago and still stuck with PSSD.

How hopeful should I be, do people here recover substantially from PSSD? 

Edited by baroquep

mild depression: took effaxor XR 75mg From nov 2016 - feb 2017 for 4 months

PSSD : Since then along with continuing withdrawal.

cognition problems, headache , fatigue, concentration problems, anhedonia, PSSD ( erection 2/10, Libido1/10, orgasm 4/10) 

no significant improvements in any withdrawal symptoms or any PSSD symptoms

• KarenB changed the title to Hussy: Has anyone recovered from PSSD substantially.
  • Moderator Emeritus

hussy -- Welcome to Surviving Antidepressants (SA)

I'm sorry that you are experiencing symptoms 4.5 months after having stopped taking Effexor. 

Would you tell us how you stopped Effexor -- all at once, in steps, skipping days?

A request: Would you summarize your history in a signature -- drugs, doses, dates, and discontinuations & reinstatements, in the last 12-24 months particularly?

• Any drugs prior to 24 months ago can just be listed with start and stop years.
  • Please use actual dates or approximate dates (mid-June, Late October) rather than relative time frames (last week, 3 months ago)
  • Spell out months, e.g. "October" or "Oct."; 9/1/2016 can be interpreted as Jan. 9, 2016 or Sept. 1, 2016.
  • Please leave out symptoms and diagnoses.
  • A list is easier to understand than one or multiple paragraphs.
  • Link to Account Settings – Create or Edit a signature.

PSSD is a condition that causes a great deal of suffering. We have a topic where others dealing with it post. Post-SSRI sexual dysfunction. People do recover from PSSD; you'll find more and better information on other sites; links for those sites are in the PSSD topic. On this site, we aren't aware of any effective treatments for PSSD and haven't done much study on the prognosis of the condition.

I hope that you'll find the discussion at our PSSD topic helpful and the information and support you seek through the resources we've linked.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.
1997-1999 Effexor; 2002-2005 Effexor XR 37.5 mg linear taper, dropping same #beads/week with bad results

Cymbalta 60 mg 2012 - 2015; 2016: 20 mg to 7 mg exact doses and dates in this post; 2017: 6.3 mg to  0.0 mg  Aug. 12; details here

scallywag's Introduction
Online spreadsheet for dose taper calculations and nz11's THE WORKS spreadsheet

Check out the success stories section. I remember someone wrote about that.... and totally recovetedbut can't remember name of the person...

200 Zoloft; 10 mg Zyprexa; 4 mg valium as of May 2021;  Valium taper: July 16: 3.5 valium; July 30: 3 mg (paused valium taper); Aug. 23: 2.5 mg
Zyprexa: July 26: 8.75 mg; Aug. 9: 7.5 mg; Aug. 30: 7.1 mg

-------
Dec 1, 2016. 10 mg zyprexa for 1.5 month. Started taper mid-Jan. 2017. Cut 1.25 mg every 2 weeks; smaller cuts 2.5 mg down. Stopped at .6 mg. May 7, 2017: zyprexa free. 
Zoloft: Dec1, 2016, 200 mg. Started taper: Jun12, 2017: 197.5 mg; Jun19,:195 mg; July 2:185mg; July 9,:180 mg; July16,: 175; July 23: 170; July 30: 165; Aug6: 160; Aug13: 155; Aug. 20: 150; Aug.27: 146 mg; Sept3: 145 mg; Sept10:143 mg; Sept17:140 mg....Nov5: 122 mg...Dec3:112.5 mg; Jan14, 2018: 95 mg...Jan28: 90 mg; Feb21:80 mg; Mar11: 75 mg; May2:70 mg; May15: 68 mg; May28: 65 mg; Jun9: 62 mg;Jun25: 60 mg:July22: 55 mg; Aug25: 45 mg. Aug28: 50 mg...Oct 28: 38 mg; Dec.4: 30 mg; Jan8,2019: 25mg; Feb6: 23.5 mg; Apr1:17.5mg; May1:1 mg; May 5: 18;  May 18:15mg; June 16:12.5mg; Sept 10:11 mg; Sept.16:10 mg; Oct. 1: 9mg; Nov. 27: 8mg; Dec.5: 7mg; Jan.1,2020, 6 mg; Feb1: 5 mg; May 1: 2.5 mg; Jn 1: 2 mg; Jy 1: 1.5 mg

I have heard of people recovering from PSSD. I think there is hope for recovery

Last took an SSRI January 2009.

Last took a benzodiazepine May 2015.

Free from all prescription medication since May 2015.

Everything has mostly healed apart from PSSD which is still very bad, and is my most distressing symptom. Also i have developed some allergy problems/ sensitivities to things in the environment which i believe was possibly caused by the prescription medications (SSRI's and benzos).

• ChessieCat changed the title to Hussy: Has anyone recovered from PSSD substantially
  • 1 month later...
On 7/12/2017 at 10:53 AM, Spruce30 said:

I have heard of people recovering from PSSD. I think there is hope for recovery

Hey Spruce,

How are you feeling lately? Any improvements?

Drug free since 2014. Age 24. 

Lexapro (20mg) from late 2011-late 2013

Switched to Lustral (150mg) late 2013 til early-mid 2014

Cold turkeyed (!) in the spring of 2014

PSSD and anhedonia since. Experienced some windows (not fully functioning but definite improvement) several time since developing sexual dysfunction and emotional blunting.

Help and hope is greatly appreciated. Feel so alone and lost.

Yes i have been having improvements, but waves as well. Full healing feels quite a long way off though.

Everything has mostly healed apart from PSSD which is still very bad, and is my most distressing symptom. Also i have developed some allergy problems/ sensitivities to things in the environment which i believe was possibly caused by the prescription medications (SSRI's and benzos).

Hussy, imo  no-one can tell you if you will or wont recover from pssd.

all anyone can say is 'they dont know'

Some people may recover others may not.

Im about to enter my 8th year drug free and i have seen no improvement whatsoever.

I believe Healy is right when in 2015 he said this:

"Within the first week of when you go on an antidepressant you may have a sexual dysfunction, it can go on forever, often only appearing when you go off the drug ...its extraordinarily common" Healy 2015

Please if you have time consider writing some complaint letters to the authorities in your country regarding this doctor caused harm.

nz11

Thought for the day: Lets stand up, and let’s speak out , together. G Olsen

We have until the 14th. Feb 2018. 

URGENT REQUEST Please consider submitting  for the petition on Prescribed Drug Dependence and Withdrawal currently awaiting its third consideration at the Scottish Parliament. You don't even have to be from Scotland. By clicking on the link below you can read some of the previous submissions but be warned many of them are quite harrowing.

http://www.parliament.scot/GettingInvolved/Petitions/PE01651   

Please tell them about your problems taking and withdrawing from antidepressants and/or benzos.

Send by email to petitions@parliament.scot and quote PE01651 in the subject heading. Keep to a maximum of 3 sides of A4 and you can't name for legal reasons any doctor you have consulted. Tell them if you wish to remain anonymous. We need the numbers to help convince the committee members we are not isolated cases. You have until mid February. Thank you

Recovering paxil addict

None of the published articles shed light on what ssri's ... actually do or what their hazards might be. Healy 2013. 

This is so true, with anything you get on these drugs, dependance, tapering, withdrawal symptoms, side effects, just silent. And if there is something mentioned then their is a serious disconnect between what is said and reality! 

"Every time I read of a multi-person shooting, I always presume that person had just started a SSRI or had just stopped."  Dr Mosher. Me too! 

Over two decades later, the number of antidepressant prescriptions a year is slightly more than the number of people in the Western world. Most (nine out of 10) prescriptions are for patients who faced difficulties on stopping, equating to about a tenth of the population. These patients are often advised to continue treatment because their difficulties indicate they need ongoing treatment, just as a person with diabetes needs insulin. Healy 2015

I believe the ssri era will soon stand as one of the most shameful in the history of medicine. Healy 2015

Let people help people ... in a natural, kind, non-addictive (and non-big pharma) way. J Broadley 2017

• 2 weeks later...

Hi

I am still experiencing strong withdrawal symptoms like cognition and concentration problems. Fatigue. PSSD  etc. What should I do to get out of this mess. I am asking about supplements etc. Will this improve?

Regards

Edited by baroquep

cognition problems, headache , fatigue, concentration problems, anhedonia, PSSD ( erection 2/10, Libido1/10, orgasm 4/10) 

• ChessieCat changed the title to hussy: ^6 month int withdrawal after taking effexor for 5 months
On 8/30/2017 at 8:47 AM, nz11 said:

Hussy, imo  no-one can tell you if you will or wont recover from pssd.

all anyone can say is 'they dont know'

Some people may recover others may not.

Im about to enter my 8th year drug free and i have seen no improvement whatsoever.

I believe Healy is right when in 2015 he said this:

"Within the first week of when you go on an antidepressant you may have a sexual dysfunction, it can go on forever, often only appearing when you go off the drug ...its extraordinarily common" Healy 2015

Please if you have time consider writing some complaint letters to the authorities in your country regarding this doctor caused harm.

nz11

Sorry to hear. What are your other symptoms? Did anything heal?

PSSD and anhedonia since. Experienced some windows (not fully functioning but definite improvement) several time since developing sexual dysfunction and emotional blunting.

On 8/30/2017 at 8:26 AM, Spruce30 said:

Yes i have been having improvements, but waves as well. Full healing feels quite a long way off though.

Great :D

What have you been doing?

On 8/30/2017 at 8:26 AM, Spruce30 said:

When did you start getting waves? How lobg did you have pssd?

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi Hussy, sorry to hear that you are still experiencing withdrawal symptoms.  It can take some time for them to resolve.  I noticed that Scallywag had requested additional information in a post above and was wonder if you could please take another look and provide the information requested in order for use to provide more additional information with respect to your situation.

On 2017-07-04 at 6:31 PM, scallywag said:

hussy -- Welcome to Surviving Antidepressants (SA)

I'm sorry that you are experiencing symptoms 4.5 months after having stopped taking Effexor. 

Would you tell us how you stopped Effexor -- all at once, in steps, skipping days?

A request: Would you summarize your history in a signature -- drugs, doses, dates, and discontinuations & reinstatements, in the last 12-24 months particularly?

• Any drugs prior to 24 months ago can just be listed with start and stop years.
  • Please use actual dates or approximate dates (mid-June, Late October) rather than relative time frames (last week, 3 months ago)
  • Spell out months, e.g. "October" or "Oct."; 9/1/2016 can be interpreted as Jan. 9, 2016 or Sept. 1, 2016.
  • Please leave out symptoms and diagnoses.
  • A list is easier to understand than one or multiple paragraphs.
  • Link to Account Settings – Create or Edit a signature.

PSSD is a condition that causes a great deal of suffering. We have a topic where others dealing with it post. Post-SSRI sexual dysfunction. People do recover from PSSD; you'll find more and better information on other sites; links for those sites are in the PSSD topic. On this site, we aren't aware of any effective treatments for PSSD and haven't done much study on the prognosis of the condition.

I hope that you'll find the discussion at our PSSD topic helpful and the information and support you seek through the resources we've linked.

Current Prescription Drugs for Hypothyroidism:  Synthroid 100mcg / Cytomel 5mcg (15 years Pristiq/Effexor)

Tapering Schedule
September 15, 2016 - switched from Pristiq 50mg to Effexor XR 75mg; November 10, 2016 - reduced to 67.5 Effexor XR
December 9, 2016 - reduced 60.75
January 5, 2017 - reduced 54.67
January 30, 2017 - reduced to 49.0
February 20, 2017 - reduced to 44.0 
May 20, 2017 - reduced to 40.25 (holding for additional month due to late onset of withdrawal symptoms after this taper)
July 17, 2017 - reduced to 38.24
August 15, 2017 - reduced to 37.5 (50% of my original dose)

October 15, 2017 - reduced to 35.6

November 12, 2017 - reduced to 33.8
December 15, 2017 - up-dose to 35.6
December 28, 2017 - up-dose to 37.5

• ChessieCat changed the title to hussy: Has anyone recovered from PSSD substantially
  • Moderator Emeritus

Hello Hussy,

There are definitely stories of PSSd recovery on this site.  I'm sorry you're having this.

I'm three years off and just started having PSSD.  I thought I was in the clear because I'd been off so many years, but cruel irony set in.  I get aroused, but am unable to orgasm, and the arousal itself becomes physically painful when I am the verge of the never-appearing orgasm.

Unexpected twist: I'm female.  Usually this problem seems to happen to guys, or maybe guys just admit it more often than women do.

At any rate, please do look at the recovery stories.  There are men there who have recovered from PSSD.

Can we make a deal?  I'll pray for you, and you pray for me.  Okay?

All the best,
Wiggle

*I'm not a doctor and don't give medical advice, just personal experience
**Off all meds since Nov. 2014. Mentally & emotionally recovered; physically not
-Dual cold turkeys off TCA & Ativan in Oct 2014. Prescribed from 2011-2014

-All meds were Rxed off-label for an autoimmune illness.  It was a MISDIAGNOSIS, but I did not find out until AFTER meds caused damage.  All med tapers/cold turkeys directed by doctors 

-Nortriptyline May 2012 - Dec 2013. Cold turkey off nortrip & cold switched to desipramine

-Desipramine Jan 2014 - Oct. 29, 2014 (rapid taper/cold turkey)

-Lorazepam 1 mg per night during 2011
-Lorazepam 1 mg per month in 2012 (or less)

-Lorazepam on & off, Dec 2013 through Aug 2014. Didn't exceed 3x a week

-Lorazepam again in Oct. 2014 to help get off of desipramine. Last dose lzpam was 1 mg, Nov. 2, 2014. Immediate paradoxical reactions to benzos after stopping TCAs 

-First muscle/dystonia side effects started on nortriptyline, but docs too stupid to figure it out. On desipramine, muscle tremors & rigidity worsened

-Two weeks after I got off all meds, I developed full-blown TD.  Tardive dystonia, dyskinesia, myoclonic jerks ALL over body, ribcage wiggles, facial tics, twitching tongue & fingers, tremors/twitches of arms, legs, cognitive impairment, throat muscles semi-paralyzed & unable to swallow solid food, brain zaps, ears ring, dizzy, everything looks too far away, insomnia, numbness & electric shocks everywhere when I try to fall asleep, jerk awake from sleep with big, gasping breaths, wake with terrors & tremors, severely depressed.  NO HISTORY OF DEPRESSION, EVER. Meds CREATED it.

-Month 7: hair falling out; no vision improvement; still tardive dystonia; facial & tongue tics returned
-Month 8: back to acute, incl. Grand Mal seizure-like episodes. New mental torment, PGAD, worse insomnia
-Month 9: tardive dystonia worse, dyskinesia returned. Unable to breathe well due to dystonia in stomach, chest, throat
-Month 13: Back to acute, brain zaps back, developed eczema & stomach problems. Left leg no longer works right due to dystonia, meaning both legs now damaged
-7 years off: Huge improvements, incl. improved dystonia

Added signature

----------------------------------------

----------------------------------------

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi Hussy,

Sorry to hear that you are still dealing with your symptoms.  Rest assured that what you are going through is completely normal under the circumstances.  You were only on Effexor for a short period of time and it can sometimes takes time for the symptoms to become more manageable. 

I am going to attach a few link so that you can familiarize yourself with the patterns of recovery when an antidepressant is stopped abruptly, discontinued too rapidly or doses are alternated.

One Theory of Antidepressant Withdrawal Syndrome
What is Withdrawal Syndrome?

Video:  Healing From Antidepressants - Patterns of Recovery
What is Happening in Your Brain
How Psychiatric Drugs Remodel Your Brain aka Brain Remodelling

Please also have a look in our Symptoms and Self Care Forum where you will find a lot of links that can help you mange your symptoms.

Symptoms & Self Care

Symptoms:  Important topics about symptoms

Non-drug techniques to cope with emotional symptoms

Techniques to deal with cognitive difficulties

"Change the channel" -- dealing with cognitive symptoms
Change cognitive framing - Redirect - Another Way

Cognitive Behavior Therapy (CBT) for anxiety, depression
Cognitive Behavior Therapy lessons

Scallywag attached a link for you to read above regarding PSSD that might also help which I've reattached below.

Post-SSRI sexual dysfunction.

People do recover from PSSD; you'll find more and better information on other sites; links for those sites are in the PSSD topic. On this site, we aren't aware of any effective treatments for PSSD and haven't done much study on the prognosis of the condition.  I hope that you'll find the discussion at our PSSD topic helpful and the information and support you seek through the resources we've linked.

Current Prescription Drugs for Hypothyroidism:  Synthroid 100mcg / Cytomel 5mcg (15 years Pristiq/Effexor)

Tapering Schedule
September 15, 2016 - switched from Pristiq 50mg to Effexor XR 75mg; November 10, 2016 - reduced to 67.5 Effexor XR
December 9, 2016 - reduced 60.75
January 5, 2017 - reduced 54.67
January 30, 2017 - reduced to 49.0
February 20, 2017 - reduced to 44.0 
May 20, 2017 - reduced to 40.25 (holding for additional month due to late onset of withdrawal symptoms after this taper)
July 17, 2017 - reduced to 38.24
August 15, 2017 - reduced to 37.5 (50% of my original dose)

October 15, 2017 - reduced to 35.6

November 12, 2017 - reduced to 33.8
December 15, 2017 - up-dose to 35.6
December 28, 2017 - up-dose to 37.5

• 1 month later...

Does anyone else also suffer from loss of skin senstivity? Did any treatment help for that?

Regards

• 8 months later...

Hussy, 

Please say you’ve seen some improvements since you last posted...

Citalopram 2015-2015

Sertraline 2015-2015

• 6 months later...

Hey hussy,

how are you doing?

Paxil (20mg): Nov. 2012 - June 2014. CT of paxil. Severe psyhological symptoms. Reinstatement of Paxil (20mg): September 2014. Several attempts (4 or 5) of withdrawal, failing each time (due to increased symptoms:hypersensitivity to sounds, panic, anxiety) and reinstating back to 20mg. Last reinstatement was in January 2016. Symptoms still present. Stopped paxil cold turkey by the end of January, and switched to Citalopram (30mg)

Citalopram (30mg): Feb 1st 2016 - March 17 2016. CT off Citalopram.

Escitalopram (10mg): March 18 2016 - April 14 2016

Escitalopram (15mg): April 15 2016 - on going. Symptoms: Anxiety, Panic, Hypersensitivity to sounds, Tinnitus, Anhedonia.

• ChessieCat changed the title to Hussy: has anyone recovered from PSSD substantially

Hey Hussy, unsure if you're still looking for answers as to whether anyone has recovered from PSSD and I know this is a two year old thread but still want to comment saying that I had PSSD very early on and eventually recovered from it completely.

Hope this brings you some peace of mind and that you are doing well. ❤️

2009: Put on Fluoxetine (20mg) and Risperdal (0.5mg) for OCD. Dose was increased a few weeks later to 40mg Fluoxetine and 1mg Risperdal.

2011: Began experiencing Depersonalisation and Visual Snow, general loss of energy and breast growth. Was kept on 40mg Fluoxetine until Late Dec 2015. Risperdal dosage varied and was kept on 0.5mg for a long while before Nov 2015.

Early Sep 2015: Began having symptoms of extreme anxiety, psychosis and hot flushes due to mixing illegal drugs.

Late Nov 2015: Psych doc raised Risperdal to 8mg. Began having severe and hellish Akathisia. Was kept being given Diazepam to cope.

Early Dec 2015: Began seeing a new psych doc who tapered me off Risperdal over a period of a few weeks and put me onto Quetiapine.

Late Dec 2015: Quick tapered off of everything due to little guidance.

Mid March 2016: Reinstated Fluoxetine (5mg), dose was increased to 10mg a couple of weeks later. Gave me restless legs and stopped taking immediately (RLS was unbearable).

10 May 2016: Unsuccessful Fluoxetine reinstatement at 1mg. Drug free since May 2016.

Diet (When Able): Low carb and sugar, high fat & dark greens. medium protein and fruit. Taking 100mg magnesium, 1000mg omega 3, 0.25mg Melatonin daily,. Drinking at least one mug of chamomile a day. Weekly Light exercise. Meditating daily and practising mindfulness.

"Come back to square one, just the minimum bare bones. Relaxing with the present moment, relaxing with hopelessness, relaxing with death, not resisting the fact that things end, that things pass, that things have no lasting substance, that everything is changing all the time—that is the basic message." – Pema Chodron

39 minutes ago, Prohealer said:

Hey Hussy, unsure if you're still looking for answers as to whether anyone has recovered from PSSD and I know this is a two year old thread but still want to comment saying that I had PSSD very early on and eventually recovered from it completely.

Hope this brings you some peace of mind and that you are doing well. ❤️

Thanks Prohealer for the nice post. 

My situation : i did improve to about 65 percent 6 months ago and i was having lots of windows and i started hooking up with girls. 

But 5 months ago i had another crash and I am 20-30 percent functional now. But I do believe that recoviery in possible but the road is very un predictable. 

How long it take you to recover from PSSD  prohealer and are you 100 percent back in terms of libido erection orgasm?

• 2 months later...

I am unable to see light at the end of the tunnel these days. 

Feeling very bad. 

Lot of fatigue and severe PSSD. Body crashes after every orgasm. burning feet and burning feeling in hands. 

its 26 months off the drug for me. I dont know how long its gonna last. 

• 3 months later...

I got a prescription for wellbutrin from my Doctor ( endocrinologist) . He thinks that it can potentially help with libido. What do you guys think.

• Moderator Emeritus
7 hours ago, hussy said:

He thinks that it can potentially help with libido.

@hussy

Yeright.  I just checked the side effects of Wellbutrin here https://www.rxlist.com/wellbutrin-side-effects-drug-center.htm

loss of interest in sex,

* NO LONGER ACTIVE on SA *

MISSION ACCOMPLISHED:  (6 year taper)      0mg Pristiq  on 13th November 2021

ADs since ~1992:  25+ years - 1 unknown, Prozac (muscle weakness), Zoloft; citalopram (pooped out) CTed (very sick for 2.5 wks a few months after); Pristiq:  50mg 2012, 100mg beg 2013 (Serotonin Toxicity)  Tapering from Oct 2015 - 13 Nov 2021   LAST DOSE 0.0025mg

Post 0 updates start here    My tapering program     My Intro (goes to tapering graph)

VIDEO:   Antidepressant Withdrawal Syndrome and its Management

bupropion (brand names:  Wellbutrin and Zyban) was what originally gave me pssd.... 

Edited by ChessieCat
added drug brand name
  • Administrator
On 7/29/2019 at 9:14 AM, hussy said:

I got a prescription for wellbutrin from my Doctor ( endocrinologist) . He thinks that it can potentially help with libido. What do you guys think.

Wellbutrin has the reputation of countering the sexual dysfunction caused by other antidepressants -- but why would you want to add an antidepressant to one that's causing undesirable side effects? The first drug should be dumped.

If you have PSSD and are hypersensitive to drugs because of withdrawal, you might have a very bad reaction to bupropion -- the side effects for which Chessie posted a link and more. Very commonly, it causes jumpiness and sleeplessness.

If you have withdrawal hypersensitivity, experiment with drugs at your own risk. If you feel you must try something, I would try only a very tiny amount -- a fraction of the lowest available dosage -- to see how it affects you. Very few doctors will understand this, they will want to clobber your symptoms with at least normal or higher dosages.

No guarantees about buproprion helping PSSD.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

I have been off the SSRI for 2.5 years. Still sever PSSD. thats why i am trying to use wellbutrin to get some improvements

Hussy has most other things healed for you?

Is PSSD your main symptom?

When you say PSSD what are the symptoms?

May 2016 - Aug 2016 - Prozac 20mg

March 2017 - June 2017 - Sertraline 100mg. Horrific withdrawal 5 m onths.

July 2017 - Aug 2017 - Mirtazapine 15mg. Horrific.

August 2017 - December 2017 Fluoxetine 10mg for 2 weeks ghen Escitalopram 20mg for 12 weeks. Never felt normal since this. Or baseline.

March 2018 - June 2018 - Escitalopram 5mg for 12 weeks. Stopped and here i am full of symptoms i never had.

I wouldn't bother with the wellbutrin hussy, the people who i have seen heal from PSSD have done it naturally

• Mentor
On 8/3/2019 at 7:58 AM, hussy said:

I have been off the SSRI for 2.5 years. Still sever PSSD. thats why i am trying to use wellbutrin to get some improvements

"it took about 3 years off medications to regain a good emotional range and my youthful lust." … "In 2013 I had a libido, arousal, erections but was still suffering from lack of sensation in my genitals. Upon climax I would have no pleasure, only muscle movements."

I don't know what you would consider "severe." I wrote my success story because, in "2016 the lack of sexual pleasure and anhedonia are not a problem for me anymore."

I only spent about 1 year on various meds. Everyone is different. Sometimes one dose can cause problems. Some people recover faster than I, After taking meds for a longer time.

There was a definitive change for me, after 4 years post meds. That continued through 7 to now 10 years, post SSRI's.

I would recommend against "Wellbutrin" AKA Buproprion. It may act on nicotinic receptors, but it has an NDRI (Norepinephrine/Dopamine Reuptake Inhibitor) Having the most prominent effect on dopamine receptors.

"It has also been found to act as a releasing agent of dopamine and norepinephrine (NDRA), similarly to other cathinones. (This release could help stimulate sexual function, as other Dopamine releasing agents "CAN" stimulate the body as Altostrata said. This would include sexual stimulation.) However, when ingested orally by humans, bupropion is extensively converted in the body into several active metabolites with differing activities and influences on the effects of the drug during first-pass metabolism. These metabolites are present in much higher concentrations in the body compared to bupropion itself."

Wikipedia again: "According to a survey of psychiatrists, it is the drug of choice for the treatment of SSRI-induced sexual dysfunction, although this is not an indication approved by the U.S. Food and Drug Administration."

It's off-label prescribing of Risperidone to me when I was 16 that really messed me up. "In August 2012, Johnson & Johnson agreed to pay $181 million to 36 U.S. states in order to settle claims that it had promoted risperidone and paliperidone for off-label uses including for dementia, anger management, and anxiety." Pennies to J&J...🤐

Buproprion varies with genetics/biology just like all other medications. Though it doesn't act on Serotonin very much. It does have major effects on Dopamine and Norepinephrine. All three affect hormones and neurotransmitters. Which could/would have some effect on sexual function.

I would recommend abstinence. From medications and any sexual activity. (Having sex without pleasure is disappointing, I know. Also masturbation attempts also led me to disappointment.) The Dr.s' say many medications take weeks or a month to "build up in your system." They don't mention it is "re-wiring" / changing the neurotransmitter functions. They say: "Balancing off-set chemicals."

No no no, They are usually off-setting regular brain communication/transmitter function. Eating healthy, Exercising, Thinking Positive, Abstaining from all drugs (Alcohol too)… and maybe a little prayer. Are much more effective than a drug that is comparable to a placebo 50% of the time for DEPRESSION. There are no reliable studies on Buproprion's ability to increase sexual function or desire. I will reiterate what others have already said: Wellbutrin (Buproprion)

On 7/29/2019 at 9:31 PM, Zeipii said:

bupropion (brand names:  Wellbutrin and Zyban) was what originally gave me pssd.... 

On 7/29/2019 at 9:14 PM, ChessieCat said:

Yeright.  I just checked the side effects of Wellbutrin here https://www.rxlist.com/wellbutrin-side-effects-drug-center.htm "loss of interest in sex,"

A late reply from me, "sorry." Altostrata on the ball, With pertinent information.

Good luck to you Hussy!

On 7/28/2019 at 7:24 PM, frasier23 said:

Any tips & tricks? :)

Read your success story so nv.

Sorry this is really late, I'm not sure what you mean by "...Story so NV" ? No worries, All my tips and tricks are in my success story. And right here in this comment in BOLD.

Take care!

Edited by CharlieBrown
Compression, (Personal braket addition on stimulation) Typo: "Lead to Led"

I Am Not A Medical Professional! 👨‍⚕️

Prescribed Various SSRI's/SNRI, Benzos and One Anti-Psychotic at 16, in 2009.

Fluoxetine 10mg - 1 Month. Switch to Venlafaxine 75-150mg for 3-5 months. Switch to Sertraline 50-100mg for 6-9 months. Risperidone added. (Suicide attempt, Akathisia) Cold turkey. Eventual taper of Sertraline.

Clonazepam 0.5mg 1X daily for 1 month, as I switched from Venlafaxine to Sertraline. About 3 months of Sertraline with no improvement, Risperidone was added @ 0.25mg-0.5mg for one week. Then raised to 0.75 and 1mg after another week. With 100mg Sertraline daily. Then raised to 1.5Mg after a check-up.

Sudden stop of Risperidone. After suicide attempt.

A self-taper, because I didn't trust doctors. Removing Sertraline XR beads from 100mg capsules, over 5-9 months. Which I would consider too hasty, in retrospect. I am recovered from all medication side effects!

My success story: 

I have taken many prescriptions/drugs, with/without a script. Most any prescription/illicit/grey market drug type. Searching for relief from/as, anxiety/Sleep-aids. All drugs are long ago. By God's will, I will stop smoking.

He's saved me more than once.

• 1 year later...
  • Administrator

@hussy, how are you doing?

We're seeing that setbacks occur when people drink alcohol and sometimes from taking antibiotics or other drugs.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

• 4 weeks later...

how are things with everyone. How are the long term sufferers. I am going through a bad wave after 3 months of good windows and progress

• 1 year later...

bad wave again after some ok-ish windows and reasonable functioning. 

On 5/13/2022 at 7:44 AM, hussy said:

bad wave again after some ok-ish windows and reasonable functioning. 

Try sjw or inositol. 

MOD NOTE:  Please see Alto's response to kostakondordia's post: 

Edited by ChessieCat
added link to Alto's response post

Ad's since 2016 (I was 16 then...) (Escitalopram) 

Nov 2018 switch to venlafaxin 150mg

Nov 2019 to march 2020 tapered by 37,5mg to cero. (breakdown, minor w/d symptoms for a few days only panic attacks followed by deep depression came a month later duo to stress). 

Reinstated venla 150mg in Juli 2020.

Nov 2020 to April 2021 tapering by 15mg every month or so until I reached approximately 50 mg(no w/d symptoms) 

Since April 2021 tapered once by 5% and once by 10% of the last dose because I'm not stable enough for w/d. 

Current dose 50mg venlafaxin

No other medication. 

No supplements

Stopped smoking 29.12.2021

No alcohol 

• Administrator
22 hours ago, kostakonkordia said:

Try sjw or inositol. 

@kostakonkordia St. John's Wort is not a good idea to recommend to people who are experiencing withdrawal. It's not a harmless herb, it's an MAOI-type antidepressant. 

Some people don't do well with inositol. Please read our discussions about these remedies in the Symptoms and Self-Care forum before you recommend them out of hand. We wouldn't want people to be taking random suggestions from members of this site who are not fully informed.

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/14/2022 at 4:02 AM, Altostrata said:

@kostakonkordia St. John's Wort is not a good idea to recommend to people who are experiencing withdrawal. It's not a harmless herb, it's an MAOI-type antidepressant. 

Some people don't do well with inositol. Please read our discussions about these remedies in the Symptoms and Self-Care forum before you recommend them out of hand. We wouldn't want people to be taking random suggestions from members of this site who are not fully informed.

Hi Altostrata. I saw that you had mentioned accupuncture as a good remedy. I had treid Accupuncture once but did not get benefits. I am 5 years med free . Stil has bad pssd. what remedies do you suggest? its beeen very long now

• 2 months later...

Going through another bad wave. its been 5.3 years for me suffereing from PSSD. I feel when i dont have a good nights sleep then i get my symptoms worse.