Jump to content
Staz

Staz: Poly drugged & trying to get drug free

Recommended Posts

Staz

Ugh!!

Insomnia has now struck. I managed to get 3-4 hours sleep after taking an antihistamine at 3am. I knew this was a likely outcome of reducing seroquel but had gotten away with disturbed nights sleep so far. I'll just have to ride it out.

Share this post


Link to post
Kristine
On 11/01/2018 at 2:36 AM, Staz said:

I'm just in from my first day volunteering and despite me being a bit anxious about it it went ok. I passed a good deal of the day doing admin work and as a result my overall anxiety levels have dropped a lot from yesterday. I'm back in on Friday so will be working Weds, Fri and Mon. of every week.

Gosh Staz, this news put a big smile on my face. Really, well done!....not so good about the insomnia...but I think it is very strongly linked to seroquel w/d.  As you know I was taken off Seroquel XR 300mg fast!...and suffered terrible insomnia. My sleep has improved...I'm finding one of the worst things I can do is eat processed sugar after my evening meal.  I'm avoiding dessert 🙄. K 

Share this post


Link to post
Staz
22 minutes ago, Kristine said:

Gosh Staz, this news put a big smile on my face. Really, well done!....not so good about the insomnia...but I think it is very strongly linked to seroquel w/d.  As you know I was taken off Seroquel XR 300mg fast!...and suffered terrible insomnia. My sleep has improved...I'm finding one of the worst things I can do is eat processed sugar after my evening meal.  I'm avoiding dessert

 

Hi Kristine.

How long did your insomnia from Seroquel last?

Interesting point about the sugar as i had some chocolate in the evening prior to going to bed. Seroquel has given me disturbed sleep as I've cut it but last night was the first time I've been unable to sleep when going to bed. By 3am and still no sleep I had to take some antihistamine which I did really want to resort to but needs must.

I don't want the insomnia to interfere with my new volunteering role if I can help it.

Steve

xx

Share this post


Link to post
Kristine
17 minutes ago, Staz said:

How long did your insomnia from Seroquel last?

I've been looking back over my notes.  My hand writing is a mess.  I started the reductions (I'm not using the word taper because it was not a gradual taper) in August and took my last dose on the 1st September 2017 (3 weeks).  But I was on the slow release seroquel.  Are you on immediate release?  I had ongoing sleep issues after decreasing the clonazepam...so at first I wasn't sure what was causing what symptom.  However, 3 weeks after my last dose of Seroquel I experienced 14 days of relentless insomnia (maybe 10 hours sleep tops).  I hadn't experienced this before.  Then it settled.  You are on a smaller dose and you have been reducing it slowly, so I doubt this will happen to you.   I'd avoid sugar...just in case (easier said than done!).  K 

Share this post


Link to post
Staz
2 minutes ago, Kristine said:

I've been looking back over my notes.  My hand writing is a mess.  I started the reductions (I'm not using the word taper because it was not a gradual taper) in August and took my last dose on the 1st September 2017 (3 weeks).  But I was on the slow release seroquel.  Are you on immediate release?  I had ongoing sleep issues after decreasing the clonazepam...so at first I wasn't sure what was causing what symptom.  However, 3 weeks after my last dose of Seroquel I experienced 14 days of relentless insomnia (maybe 10 hours sleep tops).  I hadn't experienced this before.  Then it settled.  You are on a smaller dose and you have been reducing it slowly, so I doubt this will happen to you.   I'd avoid sugar...just in case (easier said than done!).  K 

I'm on the immediate release and thanks for checking. Yes I have been going slower but I think it's catching up with me now so a hold maybe needed. I'll avoid sugar as you suggest too which may have made things worse. Thanks for your help.

Steve

xxxx

Share this post


Link to post
Staz

I've been tapering from 150mg since July/August 17. I'm getting toward the end on my taper now and to date have had some disturbed sleep, low level anxiety etc. but for the first time last night experienced insomnia to the point i got up at 3am and took an antihistamine which gave me 3 hours or so of sleep.

Does anyone know how long insomnia lasts with this med and what's the otc meds that help with the insomnia/

Staz

Share this post


Link to post
dukke

Seems you are tapering too fast. You are obviously tapering more than 10% every month.

From what I know how fast you can tapper and how long you'll experience significant withdrawal symptoms from tapering too fast depends on how long you've been taking the drug. The less time you've taken the drug the faster you can tapper and the fewer withdrawal symptoms you'll experience.

I've taken Seroquel for about 7 years before starting to tapper, the highest dose was 300mg. In the beginning I was able to tapper by even more than 25% with few side effects but when I reached a bit more than 58mg I couldn't tapper more than 10%.. it seems, and reports from other people also confirm this, the lower the dosage the harder it is to tapper.

Share this post


Link to post
Altostrata

Please heed dukke, Staz. We've told you several times you're tapering too fast.

Share this post


Link to post
Staz
On 14/01/2018 at 11:49 PM, dukke said:

Seems you are tapering too fast. You are obviously tapering more than 10% every month.

From what I know how fast you can tapper and how long you'll experience significant withdrawal symptoms from tapering too fast depends on how long you've been taking the drug. The less time you've taken the drug the faster you can tapper and the fewer withdrawal symptoms you'll experience.

I've taken Seroquel for about 7 years before starting to tapper, the highest dose was 300mg. In the beginning I was able to tapper by even more than 25% with few side effects but when I reached a bit more than 58mg I couldn't tapper more than 10%.. it seems, and reports from other people also confirm this, the lower the dosage the harder it is to tapper

Hi Dukke,

I've taken Seroquel for just over 14 months now. I started at 75mg to cover insomnia from an a/d start up. I wasn't told it was an antipsychotic and it would help me sleep. I continued until May 17 then it was upped to 150mg xr for a few months but had no effect at all on my depresssion so it was changed back to 150mg IR late July and I've been dropping ever since. I managed to get to 25mg without any huge problems developing and held there for a month. Over the Christmas Holiday I started cutting by approx 1mg a day using liquid. I've had the odd day of anxiety here and there, disturbed sleep and recently one night of insomnia with my normal sleep reducing to 4-5 hours per night on occasions. However once I got below 15mg my clarity of thought became better and my mood has improved a bit despite the sleep issues. When I have a sleep problem I try melatonin or an otc antihistmaine which helps. I normally feel a cut day 2 or 3 afterwards as a rule.

I know I'm cutting faster than the 10% rule but I know of others on this board who have cut more quickly with no problem while others do get problems so for me it's a case of listen to your body.

I'm keen to get off this class of med as they are dangerous and shouldn't have been prescribed for sleep at all. When this taper has ended and my sleep is normalised for a month or so I will be starting my valium taper and having had previous experience of this I'll be starting that very cautiously at 5% per month to start with. It is the real enemy drug wise as far as I'm concerned.

I'm also on two other sedating drugs mirtazapine and dosulepin but they will be dealt with in turn post benzo taper and recovery.

What side effects are you getting from cutting at 10%?

Cheers

Staz

Share this post


Link to post
Staz

Quetiapine now stopped. I'm noticing disturbed sleep, some minor anxiety issues but clearer thinking and less depression. This started as I went below about 15mg.

My last 25mg I started tapering Christmas Day at 1mg per day and won't be touching any antipsychotic again.

Once I've had a few months to adjust and recover I will be starting my Valium taper and listening to my body as I go. I'm going to use the tablet and liquid combo to do a daily microtaper starting cautiously at 5% reduction per month then to 10% if I find it tolerable.

Cheers

Staz

Share this post


Link to post
Staz

Day two of no Seroquel and I've just done a 7 hour shift at my local heritage railway as a volunteer. Sleep is still disturbed, some manageable anxiety and plenty of tension in my neck and shoulders but really no different to when I was tapering off TBH. I managing sleep through melatonin and alternating it with otc antihistamines so I'm getting 6-7 hours of sleep a night currently. The one thing I've noticed is my tinnitus in my left ear has been worsening through the last part of my taper. I had tinnitus before any meds as a result of playing with firearms in my late teens and early 20's but it's just ramped up a bit. I managing better than I thought I would do and this process has proved far easier than coming off of Lyrica.

Share this post


Link to post

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.