Klipsanen

Klipsanen: How to taper risperdal in my case?

Klipsanen

Hello, im from eu, sorry about my english.

i'm going to taper my medication which is risperdal 1mg. I have had it about 1,2month. I have been taking 0,5mg for few days now so..

My earlier meds were abilify, zyprexa, truxal and levozin. I had my boozepsychosis about 7 months ago.

how slowly do i need to manage with risperdal? 

scallywag

Klipsanen -- Welcome to Surviving Antidepressants (SA)

To answer your question, we suggest that you reduce the dose by no more than 10% per month.  You may cause problems -- either withdrawal symptoms or the recurrence of psychosis symptoms -- if you reduce too quickly.  Since you were taking 1 mg, we would suggest you should be taking 0,9 mg. A 50% reduction to 0,5 mg may be too much.  Please read these topics:

Before you begin tapering -- what you need to know.

Why taper by 10% of my dosage?.

Tips for tapering off Risperdal (risperidone)

You may need to go even more slowly because you were taking other similar medications before you started taking risperdal.  Would you tell us when you started and stopped each of the drugs you  mentioned and what dose you took?

Abilify: ___ mg, started month/year, stopped month/year

Zyprexa: ___ mg, started month/year, stopped month/year

Truval: ___ mg, started month/year, stopped month/year

Levozin: ___ mg, started month/year, stopped month/year

Risperdal: 1.0 mg, started month/year.

When you've got that information, please put it in a signature (copy and paste) that will appear below every one of your posts.  Here's a link to where you do that:

Account Settings – Create or Edit a signature.

Here's a link with information about what to include: Please put your withdrawal history in your signature.

This is YOUR introduction topic -- the place for you to ask questions, record symptoms, share your progress, and connect with other members of the SA community.

I hope you'll find the information in the SA forums helpful for your situation. I'm sorry that you are in the position that you need the information, but am glad that you found us.

Now the question may

Klipsanen

Hello and thankyou for your answer.

I have had;

Zyprexa was first: , 10 mg Only for few weeks 1-2w.

truxal and levozin were for my sleeping problem for few weeks also.

Abilify:  2mg started march/2017 at first for few weeks and then injection 300-400mg april/2017 to july/2017

Risperdal: 1.0 mg, started 18th of july to this day.

my doctor said that i should eat risperdal 2mg after having abilify, but i have been taking it 1mg and having no problems. 

Just MAYBE i have had some tiny illusions(?)

As an alcoholic, can i ever drink again?

i didn'nt have any seizures or strokes during my delirium tremens. 

Klipsanen
On 11.9.2017 at 3:00 AM, scallywag said:

Klipsanen -- Welcome to Surviving Antidepressants (SA)

To answer your question, we suggest that you reduce the dose by no more than 10% per month.  You may cause problems -- either withdrawal symptoms or the recurrence of psychosis symptoms -- if you reduce too quickly.  Since you were taking 1 mg, we would suggest you should be taking 0,9 mg. A 50% reduction to 0,5 mg may be too much.  Please read these topics:

Before you begin tapering -- what you need to know.

Why taper by 10% of my dosage?.

Tips for tapering off Risperdal (risperidone)

You may need to go even more slowly because you were taking other similar medications before you started taking risperdal.  Would you tell us when you started and stopped each of the drugs you  mentioned and what dose you took?

Abilify: ___ mg, started month/year, stopped month/year

Zyprexa: ___ mg, started month/year, stopped month/year

Truval: ___ mg, started month/year, stopped month/year

Levozin: ___ mg, started month/year, stopped month/year

Risperdal: 1.0 mg, started month/year.

When you've got that information, please put it in a signature (copy and paste) that will appear below every one of your posts.  Here's a link to where you do that:

Here's a link with information about what to include: Please put your withdrawal history in your signature.

This is YOUR introduction topic -- the place for you to ask questions, record symptoms, share your progress, and connect with other members of the SA community.

I hope you'll find the information in the SA forums helpful for your situation. I'm sorry that you are in the position that you need the information, but am glad that you found us.

Now the question may

What about psychosis secondary symptoms? My doctor said that it takes half to a year to survive secondary symptoms after psychosis which are similar to side effects of antipsychotic medication (not having feelings, personality changes, memory loss, ect)

My doc said that i should "train my brain" because of secondary symptoms and cognitive problems.

but my cognitive problems have worsen when i started risperdal..

or am i wrong? Is this all really caused by medication or sec. Symptoms and is it safe really to quit medication this early? (7months)

scallywag

I don't know what your doctor means by secondary symptoms.  Instability of dosing and decreasing dose too quickly can trigger symptoms, however one chooses to classify them.

Would you please provide the information requested about your past medications -- doses, start dates, and stop dates?

Klipsanen
11 hours ago, scallywag said:

I don't know what your doctor means by secondary symptoms.  Instability of dosing and decreasing dose too quickly can trigger symptoms, however one chooses to classify them.

Would you please provide the information requested about your past medications -- doses, start dates, and stop dates?

(I copied my answer)

I have had;

Zyprexa was first: started 23 of february 10 mg Only for few weeks 1-2w.

truxal and levozin were for my sleeping problem for only few weeks also.

Abilify:  2mg started march/2017 at first for few weeks and then injection 300-400mg april/2017 to july/2017

Risperdal: 1.0 mg, started 18th of july to this day.

my doctor said that i should eat risperdal 2mg after having abilify, but i have been taking it 1mg and having no problems. 

Just MAYBE i have had some tiny illusions(delusions?)

As an alcoholic, can i ever drink again? Even casually?

i didn'nt have any seizures or strokes during my delirium tremens.

scallywag

Thank you for writing your history again. Would you please copy and paste that into a signature in the user settings at this link:

What are your symptoms now?  Is there a pattern of symptoms that is the same each day?  Please write notes on paper  your symptoms and the times when you take your dose(s). This post has a useful format for a daily log:

Take notes of doses and symptoms.

Klipsanen
On 15.9.2017 at 4:35 AM, scallywag said:

Thank you for writing your history again. Would you please copy and paste that into a signature in the user settings at this link:

What are your symptoms now?  Is there a pattern of symptoms that is the same each day?  Please write notes on paper  your symptoms and the times when you take your dose(s). This post has a useful format for a daily log:

Take notes of doses and symptoms.

I updated my signature.

i have tomorrow support group meeting for a very first time, so i hope i'll find similar people like me and talk about medication ect. I'm pretty excited and nervous at the same time. I shall post how it went tomorrow.

At this time of tapering (i have taking it 0,5mg for a week now) i might have some symptoms as tiny nausea after eating (or maybe its just my unhealthy eating) and i wake up every night around 5-7am, but i can get sleep afterall waking.

I'll update my symptoms and withdrawal journey to here as time goes by!

When i smoke tobacco i can feel myself a bit "normal" for a while, but it fades quickly away.

is there someone who has got off medication and recovered fully after taking risperidon/risperdal (or other)?

feel free to ask me about anything, i'll be answering questions even years later i think. 

Klipsanen

It seems i'm not having any withdrawal symptoms since i've been 2,5 weeks on 0,5mg.

i have noticed another side effect (besides of ahendonia, libido loss ect) of risperdal.. breast milk! 

Klipsanen

i have been on rispedal for 3 months now and i've been tapering since. Now i have been on 0,4mg for 3 weeks and next drop is half the 0,4mg = 0,2mg.

still not having any withdrawal symptoms.

i remember when i quit SSRI medicine  (seronil, i used it for years) and i tapered it in just 2weeks and had none withdrawal symptoms?? Hope it will be the same thing about risperdal..

ChessieCat

Hi Klipsanen,

I hope it continues going well for you.  However, if you do start experiencing symptoms please hold on that dose for a while to allow your brain to catch up before resuming your taper.

Klipsanen
On 20.10.2017 at 5:37 AM, ChessieCat said:

Hi Klipsanen,

I hope it continues going well for you.  However, if you do start experiencing symptoms please hold on that dose for a while to allow your brain to catch up before resuming your taper.

Yes, i shall remember that, thankyou :)

I think i'm having my feelings back..

i can actually talk pretty much without having that huge brainfog. Yesterday i had my libido back for a moment so i think thats improvement.

NicoBicko

Risperdal is poison... not for everyone but at least for somebody. Breastmilk is caused by hyperprolactinemia due to the medication. Take care of you and be critical towards your doctor.

Klipsanen

Oh boys.. i'm having problems now :S i've been taking 0,2mg risperdal for a week now. (I also have bloodtests on friday)

second sleepless night.. yesterday i had bipolarish symptoms, today i had "hangover" feelings (diarrea, tiny nausea) 

i should slowdown my tapering.. how to deal with isomnia? I think i should take ketipinor in emergency situations, not like every day..