SurvivingAntidepressants.org is temporarily closed to new registrations until 1 April ×

my observation on two people on antidepressants

bruno2016

I have become sort of hypervigilant when it comes to identifying people who are on antidepressants because of my many years on them. I can usually spot someone who is on the drugs. Anyways, I would like to share my observation of two people who I recently came across: one in the news paper, and one on TV.

So I was sitting at work looking at the local online newspaper when I came across a teacher (gym I think) who was accused of sexual relationships with some students. The students would go over to her house and she would buy them alcohol and engage in sexual activity. I continued to read and discovered that she was on antidepressants and had said that the drugs were affecting her judgment. Was she just trying to get herself out of trouble? Perhaps, but I think not. From personal experience and from research, I have learned that these drugs can really make us do things that are TOTALLY out of character. This includes doing wild things that you know could wind you up in jail. I remember when I was on paxil I would have two or three-day binge drinking episodes and I eventually landed in jail on a PI charge which was fortunately dismissed. I was NEVER like this prior to the AD and once I came off I realized how many things I did that were just out of character, odd, and downright dangerous. While there are many cases like that of this woman, I honestly believe the drugs affected her judgment and reasoning.

Last night I was flipping through channels and came across the program "Cheaters" (dont cheat on your spouse pls bc you may get caught by these bastards lol). So this guy (the one being cheated on) had some odd colored hair and a bit of an unusual haircut. He also had very little emotion, talked in a dull voice, and was slow to respond to verbal communication. I thought, "this guys looks like he is on AD". His partner was cheating on him and was caught. Even when they all confronted her and her new love bird, the guy still had little emotion and was not quick to respond to things. Turns out his partner said that he had become a very different person and she lost interest in him. She said, if I recall correctly, that she just didnt feel the same anymore and that she didnt feel as though the love was there. At the end of the episode, the host says, "(name) fell apart after he found out about his gf cheating and his doctor UPPED his antidepressant". "Wow" I thought, I was right from the get-go about this dude being on AD. Anyways, this show reminded me of articles I have come across showing how AD can actually dull emotions and stop your prevent you from feeling love. There is no wonder that this woman fell out of love, the dude was on AD and was most likely unable to fully and completely love her and show her compassion. Women are very sensitive to these things and can spot it before guys can! Personally speaking, I was in quite a few relationships on my many years of AD and while I think I loved one girl, the majority of them were just temporary partners and I always just ran away, disappeared, left them hanging and I would not lose sleep over them either. I just simply did not care.

Now since I have been off AD a couple months, I have experienced some heightening of emotions to which I am not used to and am having trouble containing them. Seems like the AD mess with our emotional intelligence. Can one really love or be loved on AD? What the heck is going on in there?

Various SSRIs/SNRIs 7- 1/2 years

Went Cold Turkey from Celexa 2011, Stayed Off

Psych Drug Free and Loving Life (over 6 years and counting)

How I Stay Well: Diet, exercise, meditation, supplements, etc

• Administrator

Very interesting observations, zepp. (I hope it's okay that I moved this to the DIY section, Rants and Opinions.)

Some people say antidepressants are like emotional anesthetics (not to mention what they do to your sex drive).

It seems once you know the signs, you see them everywhere....

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

Spectio ~

I believe you could film a documentary on that in my home

On another note ~ the recent shooting rampage in Hollywood reported some pharma ties although I haven't seen anything confirmed

The girlfriend of the shooter said that he had recently taken drug samples from a woman he thought was a drug rep ~no report on what kind of drugs but I think we can make an educated guess • girlfriend said his personality changed completely since taking the drugs

Pristiq tapered over 8 months ending Spring 2011 after 18 years of polydrugging that began w/Zoloft for fatigue/general malaise (not mood). CURRENT: 1mg Klonopin qhs (SSRI bruxism), 75mg trazodone qhs, various hormonesLitigation for 11 years for Work-related injury, settled 2004. Involuntary medical retirement in 2001 (age 39). 2012 - brain MRI showing diffuse, chronic cerebrovascular damage/demyelination possibly vasculitis/cerebritis. Dx w/autoimmune polyendocrine failure.<p>2013 - Dx w/CNS Sjogren's Lupus (FANA antibodies first appeared in 1997 but missed by doc).

Another one that puzzles me … Kobe Bryant years ago was accused of sexual assault on hotel staff • when the story first broke they said he had taken Ambien to go to sleep and then called for something that was delivered to his room by staff •

I never heard it referred to again or during defense •

This stuck with me because my husband had regular 'Ambien moments' that he would go to bed and get up a short while later and carry on conversations that he had absolutely no recall of in the morning • he called me from a hotel one night and talked for an hour • when he saw the charge on his bill the next day he thought it was a mistake --had no recall

I'm not defending Kobe but find it interesting that the role of Ambien wasn't looked at (or was covered up)

Pristiq tapered over 8 months ending Spring 2011 after 18 years of polydrugging that began w/Zoloft for fatigue/general malaise (not mood). CURRENT: 1mg Klonopin qhs (SSRI bruxism), 75mg trazodone qhs, various hormonesLitigation for 11 years for Work-related injury, settled 2004. Involuntary medical retirement in 2001 (age 39). 2012 - brain MRI showing diffuse, chronic cerebrovascular damage/demyelination possibly vasculitis/cerebritis. Dx w/autoimmune polyendocrine failure.<p>2013 - Dx w/CNS Sjogren's Lupus (FANA antibodies first appeared in 1997 but missed by doc).

• Administrator

Barb, did you intend to put those 2 posts in a different topic?

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

No

• Administrator

They're pretty far from responding to Zepp's post.

Zepp, when you were on ADs, did you find you were not interested in deepening the relationships? What do you think happened when you got closer to the woman you loved?

If I come across a person who is manic, talks fast, goes into a monologue and doesn't let me get a word in, tells me their whole life story in three minutes and shares TMI/deeply personal info- I conclude they are anti-depressant-upped.

Funny story, my husband also came to this conclusion. When seeing our GP (who wanted to put him on ADs and he said NO) he told the doctor that he could tell when a person is on ADs and preceded to describe what I just wrote. Our GP's jaw dropped, he was dumb-founded.

Withdrew cold turkey from six medications: Celexa, Zyprexa, Depakote, Ativan, Ambien and Phentermine in 2002. It has been 10 years since I told polypharmacy to take a hike and have joined this forum to let others know that success is possible and to hopefully save people from experiencing the suffering that I did under psychiatric "care".

MY STORY

"TENSION is when we try to be who we think we should be, RELAXATION is when we are who we really are."

Zepp posted "My observations of 2people on ADs"with one in newspaper and other on TV ~Ive posted similar stories

*No offense or dismissal intended to Zepp*

• 1 month later...

Another one that puzzles me … Kobe Bryant years ago was accused of sexual assault on hotel staff • when the story first broke they said he had taken Ambien to go to sleep and then called for something that was delivered to his room by staff •

I never heard it referred to again or during defense •

This stuck with me because my husband had regular 'Ambien moments' that he would go to bed and get up a short while later and carry on conversations that he had absolutely no recall of in the morning • he called me from a hotel one night and talked for an hour • when he saw the charge on his bill the next day he thought it was a mistake --had no recall

I'm not defending Kobe but find it interesting that the role of Ambien wasn't looked at (or was covered up)

yea its a bit scary regarding any type of drug that messes with neurochemistry. IDK what the spects are, but there are many people who get adverse effects and they end up in worse condition. Wouldnt surprise me if the ambien caused him to act in this way.

They're pretty far from responding to Zepp's post.

Zepp, when you were on ADs, did you find you were not interested in deepening the relationships? What do you think happened when you got closer to the woman you loved?

When I was on AD, I could feel love, but I could also easily be very cold and uncaring. I was just in my own world and was not with reality, you know? Seems like the AD just made me an odd person and was not on the same level as my partner.

If I come across a person who is manic, talks fast, goes into a monologue and doesn't let me get a word in, tells me their whole life story in three minutes and shares TMI/deeply personal info- I conclude they are anti-depressant-upped.

Funny story, my husband also came to this conclusion. When seeing our GP (who wanted to put him on ADs and he said NO) he told the doctor that he could tell when a person is on ADs and preceded to describe what I just wrote. Our GP's jaw dropped, he was dumb-founded.

Yea I suppose there can be the people who become extremely happy and manic, and then the ones who become dull and withdrawn in their own world where nothing affects them. I have seen both and have been in both those positions (not really the upped part so much, though).

Good point.

I had both reactions. Some drugs made me manic. Others dulled me.

I live in NY where aloofness is expected. So, someone who acts maniac will stick out. But I would recognize AD induced flatness in a second if it was with someone I dealt with frequently, like a coworker.

Just so I am making myself clear, the description I gave was not of a "happy" person, but of person on speed. I believe people who react with mania are also blunted emotionally.

Withdrew cold turkey from six medications: Celexa, Zyprexa, Depakote, Ativan, Ambien and Phentermine in 2002. It has been 10 years since I told polypharmacy to take a hike and have joined this forum to let others know that success is possible and to hopefully save people from experiencing the suffering that I did under psychiatric "care".

MY STORY

"TENSION is when we try to be who we think we should be, RELAXATION is when we are who we really are."

Just so I am making myself clear, the description I gave was not of a "happy" person, but of person on speed. I believe people who react with mania are also blunted emotionally.

What a profound distinction -- I haven't seen that discussed anywhere but it seems that much behavior is labelled 'hypomania' when it is simply a good mood or good day ~

• 1 month later...
  • Moderator Emeritus

Just wanted to add--I was just reading the website "SSRI stories" and reading something about it on David Healy's site. It seems the pattern of women becoming sexual with underage men (teachers with students usually) is actually kind of common in women on ADs. I wonder if in general sexual acting-out is common with ADs but we just don't hear about it unless it's in this case where it's illegal. Interesting, anyway, as I was just reading about this yesterday.

Also, I did some very inappropriate and bizarre things (sexual and otherwise) when I was on my full doses of antidepressants plus benzos. Was also unable to work a regular job and between the hypomania and bizarre judgment and inability to work and suicidality (felt there was no point in keeping anything for the future since I planned to die soon) I spent my entire life savings and have nothing now to retire on.

As my doses get lower I'm starting to be able to notice when my judgment gets a little weird some of the time. It's scary not being able to trust your own thinking and judgment.

Started on Prozac and Xanax in 1992 for PTSD after an assault. One drug led to more, the usual story. Got sicker and sicker, but believed I needed the drugs for my "underlying disease". Long story...lost everything. Life savings, home, physical and mental health, relationships, friendships, ability to work, everything. Amitryptiline, Prozac, bupropion, buspirone, flurazepam, diazepam, alprazolam, Paxil, citalopram, lamotrigine, gabapentin...probably more I've forgotten. 

Started multidrug taper in Feb 2010.  Doing a very slow microtaper, down to low doses now and feeling SO much better, getting my old personality and my brain back! Able to work full time, have a full social life, and cope with stress better than ever. Not perfect, but much better. After 23 lost years. Big Pharma has a lot to answer for. And "medicine for profit" is just not a great idea.

Feb 15 2010:  300 mg Neurontin  200 Lamictal   10 Celexa      0.65 Xanax   and 5 mg Ambien 

Feb 10 2014:   62 Lamictal    1.1 Celexa         0.135 Xanax    1.8 Valium

Feb 10 2015:   50 Lamictal      0.875 Celexa    0.11 Xanax      1.5 Valium

Feb 15 2016:   47.5 Lamictal   0.75 Celexa      0.0875 Xanax    1.42 Valium    

2/12/20             12                       0.045               0.007                   1 

May 2021            7                       0.01                  0.0037                1

Feb 2022            6                      0!!!                     0.00167               0.98                2.5 mg Ambien

Oct 2022       4.5 mg Lamictal    (off Celexa, off Xanax)   0.95 Valium    Ambien, 1/4 to 1/2 of a 5 mg tablet 

I'm not a doctor. Any advice I give is just my civilian opinion.

Im almost 50 and am not sure who I am ~ I was so busy trying to be who I thought I was supposed to be and suppressing emotions and then further complicated by years of meds„ I don't know what to expect or anticipate ~

I once read that SSRIs 'inhibit inhibitions' and that's when the erratic behavior emerges ~ a double negative so to speak ~ inhibiting judgment may be another way to look at it -

• 3 weeks later...

Im almost 50 and am not sure who I am ~ I was so busy trying to be who I thought I was supposed to be and suppressing emotions and then further complicated by years of meds„ I don't know what to expect or anticipate ~

I once read that SSRIs 'inhibit inhibitions' and that's when the erratic behavior emerges ~ a double negative so to speak ~ inhibiting judgment may be another way to look at it -

You sound way too much llike me. All the crap I put up with in a profession that tore me up because of all the pressure from all sides (employer and family demands for success pretty much put the kibosh on anything I enjoyed doing). How I managed to do anything is beyond me.

History:

1995--Prozac--Quit CT by GP

1995--Effexor--Quit per my GP

1996--Amitriphene--Quit CT when changed GP

2005--Citalopram and BusPar. Prescribed when I decompensated in my GP's office. GP referred me to behavior health. Psychiatrist prescibed these drugs. Taken off citalopram in 2011 due to FDA warning. Quit Buspar during transition to viibryd.

Viibryd--2011 to present. Had a severe reaction in March 2012. Advised both GP and Psychiatrist I was trying to get off these drugs.