Nikki74: Lexapro mirtazapine diazepam akathisia

Nikki74

Ugh.

im in a wave. I thought I was getting a more prediction routine.

Symptoms: obsessive thoughts, intrusive memories, agitation, panic attacks (not had one for ages!), Brain zaps/ burning up back of head, anxiety! As well as waves of depression. Super fatigued but can’t rest.

i was able to get a couple hours extra sleep in the mornings after my morning meds. Not happened last two days.

could be pmt/ hormone related as it’s coming up to that time!

Tuesday I had such a good day and felt so close to myself.

I had a massive panic attack last night after having my hair cut and styled at home by a friend. I became scared (paranoid?!) the product she used was burning my scalp (I’m so scared of chemical stuff since experiencing akathisia) so I started to wash my hair in a panic. It escalated into me thinking I’d never be able to stop washing my hair and I went into a severe panic attack, full on dp/dr, thought I was going to run out the door!

An online friend helped me and I did the breathing technique. 

I HAVE done several things the last few days I’ve not been able to do for many weeks, like my hair cut (it was challenging to sit still for it), a short walk on my own, shopped online for some things for myself, a bit of de-cluttering at home.

im really aware of my obsessional thoughts around where I am, the drugs I’m on, future tapering fears, also just feeling so heartbroken about my life and fearful.

Q is this a wave or am I getting worse?

Q have I just overdone it?

Q the clocks going back confused me and I’ve ended up taking my diazepam and Mirtazipine more like half past the hour, so half hour later based on the old time but half hour earlier based on new Winter time. Could this be messing me around?! 

To explain, I was trying to stick to the original times but with the clocks going back the actual time is an hour earlier:

7.15 lexapro 5mg

8.30 Diazepam 2mg (ended up taking it at this time after my son has left for school, should be 8am, which was 9am before clock change)

12.30 Diazepam 2mg (should be 12 which was 1pm before clock change) 

16.30 Diazepam 2mg (as above)

23.00 Mirtazipine 15mg (ended up taking it at this time as 22.30 I’m getting my son to bed)

I have been doing the following:

4-7-8 breathing

listening to soothing music

talking to friends online who know what I’m going through

praying

Edited by Nikki74

2009-2011 mirtazapine 45mg plus clonaz as needed. Start Lexapro Nov 2011. 

June 2016 Zopiclone, July-Sept Trazodone 50mg, adverse reaction, ct, started pregabalin, reduced Lexapro from 20 to 15mg

Start of 2017 on 15mg lexapro, 100mg pregablin. April added 15mg mirtazapine. End May.  Start June stop pregablin after two week taper.  End June.  Stopped Lexapro 15mg 3 wk taper. Start July Mirt 30mg + Diaz daily 2-4mg End July  returned to mirtaz 15mg + lexapro at 10mg reinstated. 4th Aug - 19 Sept Zopiclone (3.75 then 7.5 then 3.75 at the end)

diazepam 7-8mg day since then. 16 Sept cut lex to 5mg. 5-6 Oct swapped 5mg lex to 8.15am and 15mg mirtazipine to 11pm

8 Oct onwards sticking to 6mg diazepam p/day 3 doses/ 2 Feb start 1mg clonazepam, stop Diaz. 21 Feb 2% cut lex. 8 March 12.5% clon cut. Now take .5 clon 9am, .375 5pm(0.875 mg daily clonazepam) 16 May  @8% clon reduction so 9am dose .43(0.805 mg daily clonazepam)

2 July 10% Lexapro reduction to 4.5mg. 9 Aug .25mg lex cut  to 4.25mg/ 13 Aug 4.5mg

2018 October Lexapro 4.5 to 4.25 mg  clonazepam 0.80 mg  mirtazapine 15 mg

2019 October present drugs:  Lexapro 2.75 mg(tapers of 0.25 increments in last year at 5 -9 week intervals),  clonazepam 0.78 mg(taper of .02 mg November 2018),  mirtazapine 15 mg

2020 January 5th Lexapro taper to 2.57 mg(2%drop), total clonazepam 0.78 mg, mirtazapine 15 mg

previous signature here  recent dosing and symptom logs here

On 28/10/2017 at 8:48 PM, AliG said:

I wouldn't think that this would be a problem as you just take it when you normally do, allowing for the time difference. Just stay on your schedule. Add an hour on.

Ugh.

Symptoms: obsessive thoughts, intrusive memories, agitation, panic attacks (not had one for ages!), Brain zaps/ burning up back of head, anxiety! As well as waves of depression. Super fatigued but can’t rest.

i was able to get a couple hours extra sleep in the mornings after my morning meds. Not happened last two days.

I had a massive panic attack last night after having my hair cut and styled at home by a friend. I became scared (paranoid?!) the product she used was burning my scalp (I’m so scared of chemical stuff since experiencing akathisia) so I started to wash my hair in a panic. It escalated into me thinking I’d never be able to stop washing my hair and I went into a severe panic attack, full on dp/dr, thought I was going to run out the door!

I HAVE done several things the last few days I’ve not been able to do for many weeks, like my hair cut (it was challenging to sit still for it), a short walk on my own, shopped online for some things for myself, a bit of de-cluttering at home.

im really aware of my obsessional thoughts around where I am, the drugs I’m on, future tapering fears, also just feeling so heartbroken about my life and fearful.

Q the clocks going back confused me and I’ve ended up taking my diazepam and Mirtazipine more like half past the hour, so half hour later based on the old time but half hour earlier based on new Winter time. Could this be messing me around?! 

To explain, I was trying to stick to the original times but with the clocks going back the actual time is an hour earlier:

7.15 lexapro 5mg

8.30 Diazepam 2mg (ended up taking it at this time after my son has left for school, should be 8am, which was 9am before clock change)

23.00 Mirtazipine 15mg (ended up taking it at this time as 22.30 I’m getting my son to bed)

4-7-8 breathing

praying

Edited just now by Nikki74

June 2016 Zopiclone, July-Sept Trazodone 50mg, adverse reaction, ct, started pregabalin, reduced Lexapro from 20 to 15mg

Start of 2017 on 15mg lexapro, 100mg pregablin. April added 15mg mirtazapine. End May.  Start June stop pregablin after two week taper.  End June.  Stopped Lexapro 15mg 3 wk taper. Start July Mirt 30mg + Diaz daily 2-4mg End July  returned to mirtaz 15mg + lexapro at 10mg reinstated. 4th Aug - 19 Sept Zopiclone (3.75 then 7.5 then 3.75 at the end)

diazepam 7-8mg day since then. 16 Sept cut lex to 5mg. 5-6 Oct swapped 5mg lex to 8.15am and 15mg mirtazipine to 11pm

8 Oct onwards sticking to 6mg diazepam p/day 3 doses/ 2 Feb start 1mg clonazepam, stop Diaz. 21 Feb 2% cut lex. 8 March 12.5% clon cut. Now take .5 clon 9am, .375 5pm(0.875 mg daily clonazepam) 16 May  @8% clon reduction so 9am dose .43(0.805 mg daily clonazepam)

2 July 10% Lexapro reduction to 4.5mg. 9 Aug .25mg lex cut  to 4.25mg/ 13 Aug 4.5mg

2019 October present drugs:  Lexapro 2.75 mg(tapers of 0.25 increments in last year at 5 -9 week intervals),  clonazepam 0.78 mg(taper of .02 mg November 2018),  mirtazapine 15 mg

2020 January 5th Lexapro taper to 2.57 mg(2%drop), total clonazepam 0.78 mg, mirtazapine 15 mg

Agitation/ aka coming in intense waves too.

You know I think I’ve been unstable since about June 2016. That’s when fiddling with doses and meds started and I think I’ve been in a cycle of withdrawals and side effects since then, culminating in the extreme changes this year that started in June.

Q. Does this mean I will yet stabilise? I’m thinking it won’t be for a few months but hoping it won’t be longer?! 

19 hours ago, Nikki74 said:

Ugh.

7.15 lexapro 5mg

4-7-8 breathing

praying

Nikki,

I wish it wasn't so tough for you right now.

I can't answer the med question, but, was thinking, it may just be your day was bad today due to the panic attack the day before.  I've had similar things happen myself, like times I'd be stressed out, from different things, and that could cause a short flare up of symptoms (day or so.) I would try not to worry about hair products, though I do understand your concern I used to worry about some other stuff like that.  I had my hair dyed and used different products though when I first got sick from the pills and it didn't seem to make me worse off.  Bigger concern was just managing to go to a salon and navigating the loud music, conversation, etc.  Sometimes I just had someone cut my hair at home.

Also it seems pretty common here for people to worry about what chemicals might do to them particularly if they have had akathisia or other serious symptoms,  so don't be hard on yourself.

Also great to hear you were able to get a few more things done too. 

Warm wishes, and hope your day today is a peaceful one,

US

I am not a medical professional and nothing I say is a medical opinion or meant to be medical advice, please seek a competent and trusted medical professional to consult for all medical decisions.

2 hours ago, UnfoldingSky said:

Nikki,

I wish it wasn't so tough for you right now.

I can't answer the med question, but, was thinking, it may just be your day was bad today due to the panic attack the day before.  I've had similar things happen myself, like times I'd be stressed out, from different things, and that could cause a short flare up of symptoms (day or so.) I would try not to worry about hair products, though I do understand your concern I used to worry about some other stuff like that.  I had my hair dyed and used different products though when I first got sick from the pills and it didn't seem to make me worse off.  Bigger concern was just managing to go to a salon and navigating the loud music, conversation, etc.  Sometimes I just had someone cut my hair at home.

Also it seems pretty common here for people to worry about what chemicals might do to them particularly if they have had akathisia or other serious symptoms,  so don't be hard on yourself.

Also great to hear you were able to get a few more things done too. 

Warm wishes, and hope your day today is a peaceful one,

US

Thank you US.

i think it must be a wave as yesterday was so tough, panic attack again in the evening and today I’ve got akathisia like I used to have it, the chemical churning in my tummy, plus shivering all over, frequent bathroom visits (which is how it was before when it was this bad), exhausted but can’t sleep. 

I’m normally quite sedated by my morning meds but today I felt revved up after the escitalopram and the diazepam has done v little, made me woozy but I’m also too revved up to rest.

Praying this passes. X

Q. Could this be a delayed withdrawal? I’ve read on here that with ads you can get a big withdrawal hit a few months out.

I ct’d  pregabalin 150mg start on June after 8 months on it.

I ct’d lexapro 15mg late June after nearly 6 years on it. Reinstated 10mg a month later, then halved it to 5mg on psych instructions.

Then there was the three weeks I’d doubled the Mirtazipine to 30mg in July then halved back to 15mg.

And the Zopiclone ct after 7 weeks in September.

I really thought I was stabilising. Was having long breaks from akathisia and starting to feel more in a routine with symptoms. 

Today has been as bad as it was in the early days. 

Still hoping it’s just a wave or related to hormones as this is my pmt time.

Any reassurances or insights would be appreciated! 

Thanks so much, Nikki 

21 hours ago, Nikki74 said:

Thank you US.

i think it must be a wave as yesterday was so tough, panic attack again in the evening and today I’ve got akathisia like I used to have it, the chemical churning in my tummy, plus shivering all over, frequent bathroom visits (which is how it was before when it was this bad), exhausted but can’t sleep. 

I’m normally quite sedated by my morning meds but today I felt revved up after the escitalopram and the diazepam has done v little, made me woozy but I’m also too revved up to rest.

Praying this passes. X

Argh you need a long break! I will bump this up, hopefully mods have some insight.  Praying this abates for you too Nikki.

I am not a medical professional and nothing I say is a medical opinion or meant to be medical advice, please seek a competent and trusted medical professional to consult for all medical decisions.

26 minutes ago, UnfoldingSky said:

Argh you need a long break! I will bump this up, hopefully mods have some insight.  Praying this abates for you too Nikki.

Thank you US.

I’m praying it’s just connected to hormones. It’s my week leading up to time of month.

I’ve not changed anything for over a month now. Tuesday I had such a normal feeling day and then it all went downhill.

Q I’ve had an almost persistently white coated tongue since Zopiclone and it’s sore on one side, sort of lumpy and white. Is this a common thing?

I get strange tastes. The sensitive teeth. 

I’m smoking and wondering about vaping again. I can’t find the link to this topic. It was shared for me once. 

I hope a mod can look over my recent posts and provide some reassurance, insight etc. 

I know Shep was helping me but I don’t know who’s looking over my stuff now. If anyone? 

Thank you.

Hi Nikki,

I have had the exact same thing with my tongue....you are the first person to mention it. I always get this when I am going through some sort of withdrawal or nervous system upheaval. Mine also has a white coating and looks “lumpy”, can be sore/painful too and looks red on the sides. I also have a dry mouth so wonder if it is related to that and/or anxiety in general but I never have known for sure. When my nervous system has felt better in the past, this symptom has gone away. Hope that helps!

-1/06 - 3/07 Cymbalta. Fast taper (essentially CT); withdrawal symptoms after 4 mos (didn't realize was WD)

-10/07: 100 mg Zoloft; 1 mg Klonopin - tapered off Klonopin after 4 mos. Several unsuccessful slow tapers of Zoloft; went up and down in dose a lot

-Spring 2013 back on 1 mg Klonopin to counter WD symptoms; switched over 5-6 mos from Zoloft to 35 mg citalopram
-Two attempts at slow tapering citalopram, always increased dose due to WD; also increased Klonopin to 1.25 mg in 2014, then to 1.5 mg in 2015

-8/17-9/17: After holding one year at 20 mg, feeling withdrawal symptoms due to stress - slowly increased to 25 mg. No change in symptoms after 6 months (? tolerance ?)  - decided to start citalopram taper February 2018 (still on Klonopin 1.5 mg).

Supplements: fish oil; magnesium; vitamin D3; curcumin

Citalopram taper:  2/2018 - 12/2019: 25 mg - 11.03 mg I 2020: 10.89 mg - 7.9 mg I 2021: 7.8 mg - 5.26 mg I 2022: 5.2 mg - 3.36 mg I 2023: 3.3 mg - 1.47 mg 2024: 1/5/24: 1.44 mg; 1/19/24: 1.40 mg; 1/26/24: 1.37 mg; 2/2/24: 1.34 mg; 2/9/24: 1.31 mg; 2/23/24: 1.28 mg; 3/1/24: 1.25 mg; 3/8/24: 1.22 mg; 3/15/24: 1.19 mg; 3/29/24: 1.17 mg; 4/5/24: 1.14 mg; 4/13/24: 1.11 mg; 4/20/24: 1.09 mg

7 minutes ago, wantrelief said:

Hi Nikki,

I have had the exact same thing with my tongue....you are the first person to mention it. I always get this when I am going through some sort of withdrawal or nervous system upheaval. Mine also has a white coating and looks “lumpy”, can be sore/painful too and looks red on the sides. I also have a dry mouth so wonder if it is related to that and/or anxiety in general but I never have known for sure. When my nervous system has felt better in the past, this symptom has gone away. Hope that helps!

Hi WR!

Thanks for sharing that you’ve had the same issue! Yes I get the red soreness too, almost like little blood spots.

I’m constantly thirsty. Dry mouth for sure.

I had a couple of days recently where tongue issues and sensitive teeth calmed right down. Then back as normal! Which tells me it must be related to all this wd stuff.

Thanks for responding x

Hi Nikki again ♥️

Just been reading through your posts..am so sorry you have been through all that Hun.Honesly it's heart breaking.

i see your from the uk 🇬🇧 me too.

Am a smoker too & my tounge goes like yours.

Will get there one day.So glad you could reinstate one of the drugs you CT.zopclone is nasty they CT me off it after 4 years on it...

but lovely to meet you.sorry it's under these abnormal circumstances xx

First AD when i was 19.Binge drinker/drugs 15 years weekend use.I was always pulled on and off.2005-2007-Mirtapine 45mg CT. 2010-2016 Paxil 40mg + Zopiclone.Jan-2016 i was CT off Paxil.Stopped alcohol Jan 2016.Given 2-4mg of Diazepam April 2016 CT them after 3 month.They reinstated 8mg of Diazepam July 2016 and the Doctor CT me off Zopiclone the same day.They then tried adding all different drugs Mirt one of them at 15mg (i took 7.5mg).I was tapered August 2016 7.5mg.Sep 2016 7mg.Oct 2016 6mg.Tried 1mg of Paxil-stopped after 2 days.Nov 2016 5.5mg.Tried olanzapine @2.5mg (stopped after a week)Dec 2016-5mg.Tried switching to liquid Jan-March 2017 (no good)back to pills.April 2017-4.75mg of Diazepam June 2017 -4.5mg.July 2018 went inpatient for 10 days.Awakening 4 days later.HELD.Sep 2017 4.3mg Dec 2017-4mg (Held)April 2019- started tapering the Mirtazapine.Sep 2019 at 6mg of Mirtazapine (HELD)Stopped smoking CT after 26 years.10.16.19..Restarted the Diazepam taper Jan 2020 micro tapering (game changer) now 18/7/23 @0.052mg Diazepam + Mirtazapine @6mg.

1 hour ago, pinkfairy said:

Hi Nikki again ♥️

Just been reading through your posts..am so sorry you have been through all that Hun.Honesly it's heart breaking.

i see your from the uk 🇬🇧 me too.

Am a smoker too & my tounge goes like yours.

Will get there one day.So glad you could reinstate one of the drugs you CT.zopclone is nasty they CT me off it after 4 years on it...

but lovely to meet you.sorry it's under these abnormal circumstances xx

Hi again Pink

i don’t seem to always get notifications when I sign in. 

Thank you for writing here.

Good to meet another Brit here. But as you say, sorry it’s under these circumstances lovely.

It is so tough doing this as a single Mum isn’t it. I so empathised with you talking about your little boy. Mine’s not so little now but he is still my little boy and needs me very much. 

Do you get the akathisia symptoms? 

Yeah Zopiclone is a nasty drug. That’s when my tongue stuff started, on that. 

X

Oh yes I get cycles of it :( 

its really a tough road.But we're all on it together!♥️

Nikki are you on positive past times?if so have spoke to you on there...small world ey xxxxx

First AD when i was 19.Binge drinker/drugs 15 years weekend use.I was always pulled on and off.2005-2007-Mirtapine 45mg CT. 2010-2016 Paxil 40mg + Zopiclone.Jan-2016 i was CT off Paxil.Stopped alcohol Jan 2016.Given 2-4mg of Diazepam April 2016 CT them after 3 month.They reinstated 8mg of Diazepam July 2016 and the Doctor CT me off Zopiclone the same day.They then tried adding all different drugs Mirt one of them at 15mg (i took 7.5mg).I was tapered August 2016 7.5mg.Sep 2016 7mg.Oct 2016 6mg.Tried 1mg of Paxil-stopped after 2 days.Nov 2016 5.5mg.Tried olanzapine @2.5mg (stopped after a week)Dec 2016-5mg.Tried switching to liquid Jan-March 2017 (no good)back to pills.April 2017-4.75mg of Diazepam June 2017 -4.5mg.July 2018 went inpatient for 10 days.Awakening 4 days later.HELD.Sep 2017 4.3mg Dec 2017-4mg (Held)April 2019- started tapering the Mirtazapine.Sep 2019 at 6mg of Mirtazapine (HELD)Stopped smoking CT after 26 years.10.16.19..Restarted the Diazepam taper Jan 2020 micro tapering (game changer) now 18/7/23 @0.052mg Diazepam + Mirtazapine @6mg.

1 hour ago, pinkfairy said:

Oh yes I get cycles of it :( 

its really a tough road.But we're all on it together!♥️

Nikki are you on positive past times?if so have spoke to you on there...small world ey xxxxx

Yes I am. Have we spoken? What’s your name? Don’t have to put it on here. Do you mean the other page by Baylissa? The support one? 

I’m in a cycle of the aka now. Had it pretty non stop at first but had a few breaks recently, now back! 

Oh oh I think I know who you might be on there! ❤️

Just needed to share.

This is the worst it’s been since the early days after ct’ing.

Internal akathisia, extreme anxiety, terror, ocd thoughts,, intrusive memories, feeling like I’m losing my mind, almost paranoia, shivering, insomnia, loss of appetite but so hungry, depression,  electric buzzes in hand, arm, leg.

Time of month has arrived. Praying this lessens in intensity soon!

Only five days ago I felt like myself for the most part of the day.

My head wants me to believe this is me, that I’m lost forever. But I cannot accept that.

Hi Nikki. So sorry you have experience with akathisia too. The mental terror component has also ramped up for me today and I'm also hoping it's because of where I am in my cycle. 

I'm no expert, but have just been reading up a bit (mostly conjecture) and it seems that the drop in progesterone can either interact with benzos or act similar to benzo wd. I see you're on diazepam, so that might be a possibility. But who really knows -- there's so much going on that we can't track, but hopefully it sorts itself out.

Aug-Dec 2015 Prozac 20mg / Dec 2015-Feb 2016 Prozac 15mg / Feb 2016-May2016 Prozac 20mg

May 2016-June 2016 15mg

June 2016-August 2016 10mg

October 2016-January 2017 15mg, alternating agitation/akathisia sets in --> cold turkey

January 2017 Clonazepam .5mg 

February 2017 Clonazepam 1mg (for a week) then .5mg morning and .25mg evening for about a month. Came down to .25mg morning and evening. 

May 1, 2017 Clonazepam .25mg morning and .125mg evening. // May 20, 2017 Clonazepam .25mg morning and .0625 evening (.3125 total).

early June .28125 // early mid june .25mg // mid june .21875 // late june .1875 // early july .15625 // early mid july .125 

mid july .09375mg // late july .0625 //early August 2017 down to .03125mg once a day, hopped off in mid August

reinstated at .0625mg late August // Oct 16 - updose to .07mg and switch to oral Rosemont solution

Nov 17 2017 reinstate Prozac .5mg // Nov 21 2017 prozac 1.6mg // Dec 18 2017  3mg prozac / fast taper off the reinstatement -- probably completely off early Oct 2018

June 2019 begin tapering off .07mg Clonazepam, Finish taper December 2019

15 minutes ago, bheb said:

Hi Nikki. So sorry you have experience with akathisia too. The mental terror component has also ramped up for me today and I'm also hoping it's because of where I am in my cycle. 

I'm no expert, but have just been reading up a bit (mostly conjecture) and it seems that the drop in progesterone can either interact with benzos or act similar to benzo wd. I see you're on diazepam, so that might be a possibility. But who really knows -- there's so much going on that we can't track, but hopefully it sorts itself out.

Hi Bheb

Thanks so much for writing and reaching out in our shared symptoms.

That’s interesting about the progesterone and benzos. It definitely feels like benzo withdrawal! Even if I haven’t yet done that, I did ct Zopiclone and this reminds me of that plus the feeling of flu which I guess is like ‘benzo flu’. 

Are you on diazepam too? I’ll look at your thread.

The akathisia is just nasty isn’t it.

26 minutes ago, Nikki74 said:

The akathisia is just nasty isn’t it.

Yep, can't compare it to anything in life. 

27 minutes ago, Nikki74 said:

Are you on diazepam too? I’ll look at your thread.

I'm on clonazepam currently, which was supposed to help the akathisia but of course comes with its own problems. 

Aug-Dec 2015 Prozac 20mg / Dec 2015-Feb 2016 Prozac 15mg / Feb 2016-May2016 Prozac 20mg

May 2016-June 2016 15mg

October 2016-January 2017 15mg, alternating agitation/akathisia sets in --> cold turkey

February 2017 Clonazepam 1mg (for a week) then .5mg morning and .25mg evening for about a month. Came down to .25mg morning and evening. 

May 1, 2017 Clonazepam .25mg morning and .125mg evening. // May 20, 2017 Clonazepam .25mg morning and .0625 evening (.3125 total).

early June .28125 // early mid june .25mg // mid june .21875 // late june .1875 // early july .15625 // early mid july .125 

mid july .09375mg // late july .0625 //early August 2017 down to .03125mg once a day, hopped off in mid August

reinstated at .0625mg late August // Oct 16 - updose to .07mg and switch to oral Rosemont solution

Nov 17 2017 reinstate Prozac .5mg // Nov 21 2017 prozac 1.6mg // Dec 18 2017  3mg prozac / fast taper off the reinstatement -- probably completely off early Oct 2018

51 minutes ago, bheb said:

Yep, can't compare it to anything in life. 

I'm on clonazepam currently, which was supposed to help the akathisia but of course comes with its own problems. 

Yes, benzos. Damn things. I can’t view your signature on my phone unfortunately. 

Looks like you’re doing incredibly well considering what you’ve been through and are going through. Is this your last drug Bheb?

Yep, I've only ever been on 3 psychoactive medications. Two of which were supposed to help a reaction from the first..

Also, yeah I would consider my case of akathisia "mild" if that's possible. It really really distresses me, but I'm able to keep movements to a minimum, study and leave the house most of the time (before a recent benzo terror setback). 

May 2016-June 2016 15mg

6 minutes ago, bheb said:

Yep, I've only ever been on 3 psychoactive medications. Two of which were supposed to help a reaction from the first..

Also, yeah I would consider my case of akathisia "mild" if that's possible. It really really distresses me, but I'm able to keep movements to a minimum, study and leave the house most of the time (before a recent benzo terror setback). 

Well done Bheb. On studying abc getting out. I’ve barely been out these last few months especially since I lost the ability to drive a couple months ago due to symptoms. 

My akathisia is like bugs under my skin, sometimes electricity feeling somewhere, churning tummy, and the mental but as you say. I was getting breaks from it!

You’re doing so well and one drug to go. 

• Moderator Emeritus

You will go to that symptom free break before long Nikki.

My symptoms get so much worse a week or so before the period. Bheb is right: as progesterone levels drop our hypersensitive system goes into progesterone WD which is apparently very similar to benzo WD. Our former mod Wellness explained the mechanism in great scientific detail complete with graphs.

I just have to find it somewhere....

Your symptoms should decrease as the period starts. I like your attitude and how you are learning from your own experience and that of others. These are big strides to a drug free life.

Current: 9/2022 Xanax 0.08, Lexapro 2

2020 Xanax 0.26 (down from 2 mg in 2013), Lexapro 2.85 mg (down from 5 mg 2013)

Amitriptyline (tricyclic AD) and clonazepam for 3 months to treat headache in 1996 
1999. - present Xanax prn up to 3 mg.
2000-2005 Prozac CT twice, 2005-2010 Zoloft CT 3 times, 2010-2013 Escitalopram 10 mg
went from 2.5 to zero on 7 Aug 2013, bad crash 40 days after
reinstated to 5 mg Escitalopram 4Oct 2013 and holding liquid Xanax every 5 hours
28 Jan 2014 Xanax 1.9, 18 Apr  2015 1 mg,  25 June 2015 Lex 4.8, 6 Aug Lexapro 4.6, 1 Jan 2016 0.64  Xanax     9 month hold

24 Sept 2016 4.5 Lex, 17 Oct 4.4 Lex (Nov 0.63 Xanax, Dec 0.625 Xanax), 1 Jan 2017 4.3 Lex, 24 Jan 4.2, 5 Feb 4.1, 24 Mar 4 mg, 10 Apr 3.9 mg, May 3.85, June 3.8, July 3.75, 22 July 3.7, 15 Aug 3.65, 17 Sept 3.6, 1 Jan 2018 3.55, 19 Jan 3.5, 16 Mar 3.4, 14 Apr 3.3, 23 May 3.2, 16 June 3.15, 15 Jul 3.1, 31 Jul 3, 21 Aug 2.9 26 Sept 2.85, 14 Nov Xan 0.61, 1 Dec 0.59, 19 Dec 0.58, 4 Jan 0.565, 6 Feb 0.55, 20 Feb 0.535, 1 Mar 0.505, 10 Mar 0.475, 14 Mar 0.45, 4 Apr 0.415, 13 Apr 0.37, 21 Apr 0.33, 29 Apr 0.29, 10 May 0.27, 17 May 0.25, 28 May 0.22, 19 June 0.22, 21 Jun updose to 0.24, 24 Jun updose to 0.26

Supplements: Omega 3 + Vit E, Vit C, D, magnesium, Taurine, probiotic 

I'm not a medical professional. Any advice I give is based on my own experience and reading. 

2 hours ago, Nikki74 said:

Well done Bheb. On studying abc getting out. I’ve barely been out these last few months especially since I lost the ability to drive a couple months ago due to symptoms. 

You're doing well yourself by being patient and listening to your body. Some people are more conventionally functional than others with their symptoms, but doesn't mean you're behind. The important thing is feeling better, and you've noticed some good breaks!

1 hour ago, bubble said:

Our former mod Wellness explained the mechanism in great scientific detail complete with graphs.

Bubble, is this the post/thread? 

May 2016-June 2016 15mg

Or maybe this post 

May 2016-June 2016 15mg

1 hour ago, bubble said:

You will go to that symptom free break before long Nikki.

My symptoms get so much worse a week or so before the period. Bheb is right: as progesterone levels drop our hypersensitive system goes into progesterone WD which is apparently very similar to benzo WD. Our former mod Wellness explained the mechanism in great scientific detail complete with graphs.

I just have to find it somewhere....

Your symptoms should decrease as the period starts. I like your attitude and how you are learning from your own experience and that of others. These are big strides to a drug free life.

Thank you for those encouraging words at the end Bubble. Lifted my confidence and mood a bit there.

My period arrived in the early hours and the night and today has been awful. But hopefully as you say it’ll level out soon.

Does that mean I’ll experience this monthly thing the whole time I’m still on meds or at least benzos? 

My wish is to reach a good place of stability where I’m able to resume some things like my art, sewing, a little driving and being more engaged with my son and loved ones. Is this possible given my history especially this year?

Then I’ll taper so slowly and hope to remain as functional as possible.

I’d love the akathisia to go! I wonder if any of my current meds are causing it or if it’s the result of cts? 

Bless you for your encouragement.

Hi Nikki74:

I wondered if I could ask you a few questions?

We are both WD'ing from Lexapro. You are a little ahead of me. But I experienced my 1st bout of akasthisia just the other day. It was horrible! I couldn't sit still and felt like my legs were going to kick off my body from the inside out. But they never moved. Does that make sense?

I WD from diazepam, I think a little over a year ago, maybe closer to 2. But I take 1mg Xanax 4 times a day.

My fiancé and I moved from my hometown 4 years ago, to a very rural area. I live in a town of 600 people. If you aren't from here, or your parents aren't from here, you don't belong here. There is no shopping, except a shopko (like a very, very small overpriced Walmart), 2 dollar stores and a Safeway. I have 1 friend that lives across the street, and we might talk once a week or a couple times a month. That's how it is here. My fiancé is finally realizing that it is not where he wants to be in his life. But we want to wait until he gets his 5 years in, so he will get a retirement from them. That's next July. We have a lot to do to the place we live before we can rent it out. We have a bathroom to remodel, a roof to repair, things like that. But I'm sure you don't want or need to listen to my problems.

Anyways, this morning I woke up short of breath, and a headache. I have had this before. It is anxiety, because I'm all alone. My fiancé is working 7 days a week right now, and I'm all alone. I was just wondering if that ever happens to you.? If it does, how do you handle it? I have a person here that I talk to a lot, and she said I needed to calm down. I know I do, and she is wonderful. I can't say anything bad or negative about her, she is such a peach, so caring and smart. I can't say anything bad or negative about anyone on this forum. Everyone is helping one another, which is what we all need.

I'm sorry to bother you, but wanted to get your opinion on my "problems".

I really appreciate you taking time to answer me.

Take care,

Frogie xx

PREVIOUS medications and discontinuations: Have been on medications since 1996. 

Valium, Gabapentin, Lamictal, Prilosec and Zantac from 2000 to 2015 with a fast taper by a psychiatrist.

Liquid Lexapro Nov, 2016 to 31-March, 2019 Lexapro free!!! (total Lexapro taper was 4 years-started with pill form)

---CURRENT MEDICATIONS:Supplements:Milk Thistle, Metamucil, Magnesium Citrate, Vitamin D3, Levothyroxine 25mcg, Vitamin C, Krill oil.

Xanax 1mg 3x day June, 2000 to 19-September, 2020 Went from .150 grams (average weight of 1 Xanax) 3x day to .003 grams 3x day. April 1, 2021 went back on 1mg a day. Started tapering May 19, 2023. July 28, 2023-approximately .87mg. Dr. fast tapered me at the end and realized he messed up. Prescribe it again and I am doing "slower than a turtle" taper.

19-September, 2020 Xanax free!!! (total Xanax taper was 15-1/2 months-1-June, 2019-19-September, 2020)

I am not a medical professional.

The suggestions I make are based on personal experience.

• Moderator Emeritus
1 hour ago, bheb said:
2 hours ago, bubble said:

Bubble, is this the post/thread? 

Thanks a lot bheb! I've been looking for it for long :) I must paste it in the thread on premenstrual issues...

57 minutes ago, Nikki74 said:

Does that mean I’ll experience this monthly thing the whole time I’m still on meds or at least benzos?

All this is connected with the generally destabilized nervous system. You are in early days of stabilizing so as you get more stable overall you will be less affected by hormonal and other changes. Your central nervous system will get sturdies through stabilization.

1 hour ago, Nikki74 said:

My wish is to reach a good place of stability where I’m able to resume some things like my art, sewing, a little driving and being more engaged with my son and loved ones. Is this possible given my history especially this year?

I think this is not only possible but probable and expected :) The fact  that your expectations are actually quite modest should actually add the process. Just keep practicing self-soothing techniques. Fill your toolbox with things that suit you.

I came across where you describe how meditating would make you even more disconnected and fill you with intrusive thoughts. I have to say I have experiences something similar until I started practicing body scans. Since I focus on my body I remain grounded. I also found it important to start meditating very gradually. My app calm.com starts with mindfulness meditations and body scans at 3 mins and then you gradually work your way up.

I hope this wave settles soon.

Amitriptyline (tricyclic AD) and clonazepam for 3 months to treat headache in 1996 
2000-2005 Prozac CT twice, 2005-2010 Zoloft CT 3 times, 2010-2013 Escitalopram 10 mg
reinstated to 5 mg Escitalopram 4Oct 2013 and holding liquid Xanax every 5 hours
28 Jan 2014 Xanax 1.9, 18 Apr  2015 1 mg,  25 June 2015 Lex 4.8, 6 Aug Lexapro 4.6, 1 Jan 2016 0.64  Xanax     9 month hold

24 Sept 2016 4.5 Lex, 17 Oct 4.4 Lex (Nov 0.63 Xanax, Dec 0.625 Xanax), 1 Jan 2017 4.3 Lex, 24 Jan 4.2, 5 Feb 4.1, 24 Mar 4 mg, 10 Apr 3.9 mg, May 3.85, June 3.8, July 3.75, 22 July 3.7, 15 Aug 3.65, 17 Sept 3.6, 1 Jan 2018 3.55, 19 Jan 3.5, 16 Mar 3.4, 14 Apr 3.3, 23 May 3.2, 16 June 3.15, 15 Jul 3.1, 31 Jul 3, 21 Aug 2.9 26 Sept 2.85, 14 Nov Xan 0.61, 1 Dec 0.59, 19 Dec 0.58, 4 Jan 0.565, 6 Feb 0.55, 20 Feb 0.535, 1 Mar 0.505, 10 Mar 0.475, 14 Mar 0.45, 4 Apr 0.415, 13 Apr 0.37, 21 Apr 0.33, 29 Apr 0.29, 10 May 0.27, 17 May 0.25, 28 May 0.22, 19 June 0.22, 21 Jun updose to 0.24, 24 Jun updose to 0.26

I'm not a medical professional. Any advice I give is based on my own experience and reading. 

30 minutes ago, Frogie said:

Hi Nikki74:

We are both WD'ing from Lexapro. You are a little ahead of me. But I experienced my 1st bout of akasthisia just the other day. It was horrible! I couldn't sit still and felt like my legs were going to kick off my body from the inside out. But they never moved. Does that make sense?

I WD from diazepam, I think a little over a year ago, maybe closer to 2. But I take 1mg Xanax 4 times a day.

My fiancé and I moved from my hometown 4 years ago, to a very rural area. I live in a town of 600 people. If you aren't from here, or your parents aren't from here, you don't belong here. There is no shopping, except a shopko (like a very, very small overpriced Walmart), 2 dollar stores and a Safeway. I have 1 friend that lives across the street, and we might talk once a week or a couple times a month. That's how it is here. My fiancé is finally realizing that it is not where he wants to be in his life. But we want to wait until he gets his 5 years in, so he will get a retirement from them. That's next July. We have a lot to do to the place we live before we can rent it out. We have a bathroom to remodel, a roof to repair, things like that. But I'm sure you don't want or need to listen to my problems.

Anyways, this morning I woke up short of breath, and a headache. I have had this before. It is anxiety, because I'm all alone. My fiancé is working 7 days a week right now, and I'm all alone. I was just wondering if that ever happens to you.? If it does, how do you handle it? I have a person here that I talk to a lot, and she said I needed to calm down. I know I do, and she is wonderful. I can't say anything bad or negative about her, she is such a peach, so caring and smart. I can't say anything bad or negative about anyone on this forum. Everyone is helping one another, which is what we all need.

Take care,

Frogie xx

Hi Frogie

Good to hear from you and thanks for stopping by. Though I’m sorry to hear of your problems. We are all in this together.

I’m not exactly tapering lexapro as I ct’d off 15mg in June after many years on it. Then reinstated 10mg a month later which was then halved to 5mg by my psychiatrist. Which was when I started to figure out it wasn’t me but the meds and changes that were causing the problems! So I’m sitting at 5mg for however long to then taper.

Your description of akathisia is exactly what I’ve experienced under the umbrella of that term. Feeling like my arms and legs are going to shoot out, almost like about to have a fit, but it doesn’t happen. 

I experience it in other ways too, an inner restlessness, a feeling of bugs under my skin, squirming legs and feet, buzzing in my hands or some part of my body. Yes and being unable to sit still or find comfort. I believe it’s a withdrawal symptom. Many experience it and it is horrible!

i had the shortness of breath last night, I was in a high anxiety state and couldn’t get my breath. It is another horrid experience! But seemingly another wd symptom. I ended up messaginga friend then using a breathing video on YouTube. I cried. Breathed. Cried. Breathed. Then managed to talk to said friend. I’ll post the link to the breathing thing. I also hug myself and rock and put my hand on my heart and talk to myself lovingly. None of it is a quick fix but it helps and the breathing thing is v important, as I’m just learning.

Mornings can be extra hard for this anxiety. 

I also get migraines.

it is all unfortunately ‘normal’ for wd. 

Do keep on touch. I’m right there with you dear. Nikki x

53 minutes ago, Frogie said:

Hi Nikki74:

Take care,

Frogie xx

Ps you’re not bothering me! I’m glad if any of my experiences can help others. Here’s the YouTube link, it’s v basic. There’s another one that involves holding your breath but I find that can make me panic more sometimes.

Sometimes I just repeat ‘this too shall pass’ as well.

I don’t think telling someone to calm down is very helpful. You need soothing. Sending love and soothing hand holding x

8 minutes ago, Nikki74 said:

Hi Frogie

Good to hear from you and thanks for stopping by. Though I’m sorry to hear of your problems. We are all in this together.

I’m not exactly tapering lexapro as I ct’d off 15mg in June after many years on it. Then reinstated 10mg a month later which was then halved to 5mg by my psychiatrist. Which was when I started to figure out it wasn’t me but the meds and changes that were causing the problems! So I’m sitting at 5mg for however long to then taper.

Your description of akathisia is exactly what I’ve experienced under the umbrella of that term. Feeling like my arms and legs are going to shoot out, almost like about to have a fit, but it doesn’t happen. 

I experience it in other ways too, an inner restlessness, a feeling of bugs under my skin, squirming legs and feet, buzzing in my hands or some part of my body. Yes and being unable to sit still or find comfort. I believe it’s a withdrawal symptom. Many experience it and it is horrible!

i had the shortness of breath last night, I was in a high anxiety state and couldn’t get my breath. It is another horrid experience! But seemingly another wd symptom. I ended up messaginga friend then using a breathing video on YouTube. I cried. Breathed. Cried. Breathed. Then managed to talk to said friend. I’ll post the link to the breathing thing. I also hug myself and rock and put my hand on my heart and talk to myself lovingly. None of it is a quick fix but it helps and the breathing thing is v important, as I’m just learning.

Mornings can be extra hard for this anxiety. 

I also get migraines.

it is all unfortunately ‘normal’ for wd. 

Do keep on touch. I’m right there with you dear. Nikki x

Hi:

I really appreciate you getting back to me.

I was stupid in June, 2016 and decided to cut my Lexapro in 1/2. That's when the fun started.

But I have never had this akasthisia until this week, and it is horrible. Unfortunately, I don't have anyone to call, so I'm on my own. I cry a lot when I'm alone.

That would be great if you could send me the link. Maybe it will help me.

I think the lower we get in these meds, the harder time we have.

I've been under a lot of stress lately too, so I'm sure that doesn't help. I've been sick for a month, and on 4 antibiotics.

I'm glad I found you. Hopefully we can help each other.

Thanks again.

Take care,

Frogie xx

Valium, Gabapentin, Lamictal, Prilosec and Zantac from 2000 to 2015 with a fast taper by a psychiatrist.

Liquid Lexapro Nov, 2016 to 31-March, 2019 Lexapro free!!! (total Lexapro taper was 4 years-started with pill form)

---CURRENT MEDICATIONS:Supplements:Milk Thistle, Metamucil, Magnesium Citrate, Vitamin D3, Levothyroxine 25mcg, Vitamin C, Krill oil.

Xanax 1mg 3x day June, 2000 to 19-September, 2020 Went from .150 grams (average weight of 1 Xanax) 3x day to .003 grams 3x day. April 1, 2021 went back on 1mg a day. Started tapering May 19, 2023. July 28, 2023-approximately .87mg. Dr. fast tapered me at the end and realized he messed up. Prescribe it again and I am doing "slower than a turtle" taper.

19-September, 2020 Xanax free!!! (total Xanax taper was 15-1/2 months-1-June, 2019-19-September, 2020)

6 minutes ago, Nikki74 said:

Ps you’re not bothering me! I’m glad if any of my experiences can help others. Here’s the YouTube link, it’s v basic. There’s another one that involves holding your breath but I find that can make me panic more sometimes.

Sometimes I just repeat ‘this too shall pass’ as well.

I don’t think telling someone to calm down is very helpful. You need soothing. Sending love and soothing hand holding x

Thanks!

This wave is ridiculous. Extreme anxiety. I’ve been deep breathing for an hour and no let up. Telling myself it’s a wave.

Intrusive memories when I close my eyes. Keep handing them over.

Diazepam has zero impact on anxiety and restlessness.

Exhausted, dizzy and weak from it all but can’t find rest.

Want to get out of my body.

All I can do is lie, listen to calm music and hold on. 

Q. Could this be delayed withdrawal as I’ve read about on here?

I’m just over 4 months out of my ct from 15mg lexapro (which I reinstated a month later at 10mg then cut to 5mg).

I’m 5 months out of my ct from 150mg pregabalin.

I doubt you can tell really but I’m literally getting every symptom I had at the start plus extras like shivering and random pains. Like flu. I’ve also now got dizziness/vertigo together with:

Akathisia without a break

Extreme anxiety

Panic attacks 

Fatigue

Weakness

Sore tongue and sensitive teeth

Metallic taste

Sound sensitivity

Weird images/ memories when I try to nap, can’t nap

Health anxiety

Depression

Fear

Brain zaps/ burning head 

Peeing every 15 mins 

I am sleeping about 5 hours which is better than 2. 

I was getting extra sleep after my morning meds but this has ceased since last Wednesday when this started.

OR am I in a brutal wave? 

It’s virtually impossible to distract from this.

I’m too weak to do anything more than food prep.

1 hour ago, Nikki74 said:

Q. Could this be delayed withdrawal as I’ve read about on here?

I ask myself this all the time. I thought I was having adverse reactions to Prozac, then ct'ed it but no improvement (it's also possible adverse reactions take a while to heal). I suppose it's possible that there's wd/delayed wd that makes things worse. It's awfully hard to tell.

I guess the important question is whether it makes any sense to reinstate. I don't have much experience on that matter, but hopefully someone can advise.

Either way, I hope this new wave settles down soon for you.

May 2016-June 2016 15mg

• Moderator Emeritus
3 hours ago, Nikki74 said:

I doubt you can tell really but I’m literally getting every symptom I had at the start plus extras like shivering and random pains. Like flu. I’ve also now got dizziness/vertigo together with

This is all very natural during the stabilization stage.

I just couldn't find any video that tries to describe patterns of recovery without some subtitles in what I believe is Polish.

If you can disregard it, I think it will help a lot.

It's great that you are doing these self-soothing exercises. This will pass soon and you will feel so much stronger by helping yourself getting out of this.