JoLe

Using a digital scale to measure doses

Gridley

On the tray that comes with the Gemini scale, there's a little triangular funnel-like thing along part of the outer edge of the tray.  This is good for pouring the powder into the capsule.

Hibari

Hi,  I need help with the weighing of tablets.  I originally used tablets, then switched to liquid but as I have come down, I don't know how much of the medication I am getting and I think it is

So I decided to switch to a scale and bought the Gemini 20-portable Milligram Scale.  

First of all the choice of measurements is confusing to me: gram, oz, ozt (troy oz) dwt (penny weight), ct (carat), gn (grain)

I think I should be using the ozt measurement because when I weigh my 25mg lamictal tablet, it comes up as 27. 

So, currently I am a16mgs of Lamictal.  I don't know how to do this with the scale. 

Do I just cut up my 25mg tablet and place the pieces into the tray till it weighs 16mg? 

Thanks. 

ChessieCat
36 minutes ago, Hibari said:

First of all the choice of measurements is confusing to me: gram, oz, ozt (troy oz) dwt (penny weight), ct (carat), gn (grain)

I think I should be using the ozt measurement because when I weigh my 25mg lamictal tablet, it comes up as 27. 

So, currently I am a16mgs of Lamictal.  I don't know how to do this with the scale. 

Do I just cut up my 25mg tablet and place the pieces into the tray till it weighs 16mg? 

You will need to use gram because this is what mg (milligrams) is.

The tablet contains 25mg of the drug Lamictal (lamotrigine).  The tablet will weigh more because it has fillers in it.  To get a more accurate weight of a single tablet, weight a larger quantity of tablets and then divide the number of milligrams by the number of tablets.

Please do not use the figures below, they are an example only:

Once you have the weight of one tablet you will need to divide that by 25mg.  So as an example if the tablet weighs 30mg and the dose of the tablet is 25mg, divide 30 by 25.  Each 1.2mg of tablet weight will contain 1mg dose of drug.  Now multiply 1.2mg (tablet weight) x 15 (wanted dose) = 21.6mg tablet weight that you need to measure on the scale. 

Tapering Calculator - Download

Hibari

Thank you Chessie, I appreciate the clarity.

Hibari

dukke

I'm using the Gem20 scale: http://www.betterbasics.com/guide/SW-GEM20-SIL

I'm currently at 46mg Seroquel, has anyone got experience of until when can one tapper successfully using this scale? Until what amount (mg)?

Where I live it's very difficult to get a liquid version of the medication prepared by a compound farmacy.

Thanks, best regards,

ChessieCat
4 hours ago, dukke said:

Where I live it's very difficult to get a liquid version of the medication prepared by a compound farmacy.

From Page 1 of tips-for-tapering-off-seroquel-quetiapine

On 09/08/2014 at 5:55 AM, mammaP said:

You could ask your doctor to switch you over to immediate release tablets and make a liquid from them as above.  Many members make their own liquid from their tablets and get on fine with it. 

dukke

Hi CheesieCar,

I'm aware some members are doing that, I was trying to avoid doing it until it's really necessary. It's a step further in venturing into sciences we are not fully qualified for.

That's why I'm asking until when have members been able to taper Seroquel effectively using a digital scale.

Thanks ChessieCar

Gridley

Brassmonkey tapered all the way down from 40 mg Paxil using the Gemini 20 scale. At the very end, I believe he had to "eyeball" it.  

brassmonkey

I won't say that using a scale to taper is the method of choice around here, but quite a few members are doing it that way.  Gridley is correct, I used the Gemini-20 for my entire taper.  It does have some trouble at the very bottom of the range around 4mgpw so to get the last few drops I used the visual method of dividing a known amount into equal piles. Using the scales is the most accurate while being the least "scientific" method you can use.

dukke

That's very good to know, thanks for that info. 

I'm going to continue tapering with the scale then, I'm not comfortable making my own liquid formula and I've read some members say Seroquel doesn't dissolve well in water. I also imagine the durability of that liquid might be a problem.

What do you mean by "4mgpw"? Is that 4mg of the whole pill weight, including the filler material and the active substance?

brassmonkey

That's what I mean.  mgpw is the weight of the actual material from the pill.  The other designation is mgai (active ingredient) which is the strength designation on the bottle.  For me, I used 40mg paxil tablets.  So they were 40mgai, but they weighed 500mgpw each. With that information and a little algebra there is all sorts of useful information you can figure out.