JoLe

Using a digital scale to measure doses

tacomaprime

Another question I thought of.  Will the oils on my fingers break down the gelatin capsules I bought to put the new dosages in?  I assumed no but wanted to make sure.

brassmonkey

Hey Tacoma-- I can't get you link to open. Lets try it again. 

No, there should be no problem with handling the capsules, just don;t get them wet.

Another question, is the material in the capsules a fine powder or small beads?  Everything I'm finding indicates the they don't make then with powder, and that would make a big difference.

tacomaprime
1 hour ago, brassmonkey said:

Hey Tacoma-- I can't get you link to open. Lets try it again. 

No, there should be no problem with handling the capsules, just don;t get them wet.

Another question, is the material in the capsules a fine powder or small beads?  Everything I'm finding indicates the they don't make then with powder, and that would make a big difference.

Hmm.  I screenshotted it instead.    The material is beads.  I originally was going to count beads, like starting out taking 90 beads and taking them.  But the number of beads varied from 93 to 106, so I figured I wouldn't be getting an accurate dose.  So instead I weighed all the beads in each capsule, then weighed out 90 percent of that.   Everyone said that would be way more accurate.

Capture.JPG

brassmonkey

Thanks Tacoma that's what I needed, and to find out that it it little beads and not powder.  I think weighing each capsule and calculating the dose weight would be a good way to go.

Raye
On November 13, 2011 at 3:58 PM, Altostrata said:

NOTE: If you a looking for a digital scale that measures milligrams, it must measure to at least .001g. A milligram is 1/1000 of a gram. A scale that measures to only 0.1g will not measure milligrams accurately.

Im confused with my scale because my pill is a 25mg and when I weigh it it says its 0.130 grams. Is this inaccurate because shouldn’t it be 0.025mg? 

ChessieCat
10 minutes ago, Raye said:

Im confused with my scale because my pill is a 25mg and when I weigh it it says its 0.130 grams. Is this inaccurate because shouldn’t it be 0.025mg? 

25mg is the dosage of the drug in the tablet (mgai = milligram active ingredient).  The tablet weighs 130mg (mgpw = milligram pill weight).  The tablet contains fillers.

Here is an example.  I've shown your own tablet and dose in green (however please double check that my calculations are correct).

On 14/02/2018 at 2:27 PM, brassmonkey said:

Hi Gardenlady--  Trying to make sense of the numbers can be really frustrating, especially when we are worried that any little slip up could cause a lot pf pain.  For the sake of our other readers a "microtaper" is achieved by doing reductions that are very small, frequently less than 1%.  This is often done using the liquid version of the drug in question, but can be done very nicely using the scales that we are all use to using.  A microtaper done using the scales can not be as finely tuned as one done with liquid, but with a little care surprisingly small reductions can be achieved.

The key to doing a microtaper with scales is to use the Active Ingredient Concentration as the basis for your calculations.  The Active Ingredient Concentration is the weight of the pill divided by the strength of the full dose.

If we use the numbers that Gardenlady provided above it would look like this;

411mgpw / 48.3 mgai = 8.5  (it's best to use the weight of a whole pill and the listed strength from the bottle, but this will get us surprisingly close.)

(so for Raye that would be 130mgpw / 25 mgai = 5.2)

This means that for every 8.5mg (Raye: 5.2mg) of pill material you get 1mg of active ingredient.  To take it one step further, we divide that 1mgai by 8.5 mgpw and get 0.12 (divide 1mgai by 5.2 mgpw  = 0.1923). Which means that every 1mgpw contains 0.12mgai (0.1923mgai).  That's just over 1/10 of 1mgai or written out in long form 0.00012mgai.  However you write it, there's not a whole lot of active ingredient in 1mgpw of pill material.

This is telling us that the small fluctuations in the scales accuracy don't make a whole lot of difference in the actual dose that you weigh out.

You can figure out the weight of a specific dose using the Active Ingredient Concentration.  Again  I will use the numbers Gardenlady provided above for an example.  Say she wants to do a 1/2% drop for her next taper.  She is currently taking 48.3mgai for her dose. We would multiply that by .995 to get the new dose.  48.3mgai X .995 = 48.0mgai

We then multiply the new dose by the Active Ingredient Concentration of 8.5.    48.0 X 8.5 = 408  So the weight that we measure out on the scale for the new dose is 408mgpw. The only tricky part now is manipulating the little beads to get the correct weight.

Hope that helps.

Brassmonkey