Autism/Asperger and WD problems

Claudius

Last weeks I am thinking about the following. Now that my pure w/d is less than before and the notorious "original condition" are more on the foreground, I discovered that I probably suffer from some kind of Autism disorder, I recognize many of the problems listed with Asperger syndrome. And this is a perfect explanation for my bullying past, my problems in realtionships, my somewthat limited scope of interesets (many of them are technically and scientificially related) the inability to process multiple sensory inputs etc. etc.

Probably lilke many of us here, I do not like psychiatric stigma's and DSM "disorders", but I tend to believe the Asperger syndrome is real and does exist. Not that I consider myself as "sick" but different in some senses which has its pro's and contra's. Unfortunately I have suffered many times in my life from the social shortcomings shich are part of this condition.

And paradoxically, the Paxil took away some of them and during the first few years of use, I felt better than ever before but we all know here that the price of being dependent and addicted was way too high...

But I really wonder, is it possible that the brain "disorder" that lies at the base of the Asperger-like "features" (to avoid the word disorders) is related to the fact that thwe withdrawal from the SSRI was/is such a hellish experiecne which most doctors are completely unfamiliar with?

10 mg Paxil/Seroxat since 2002
several attempts to quit since 2004
Quit c/t again Oktober 2007, in protracted w/d since then
after 3.5 years slight improvement but still on the road

after 6 years pretty much recovered but still some nasty residual sypmtons
after 8.5 years working again on a 90% base and basically functioning normally again!

• Administrator

Claudius, welcome to the world of the neurologically various!

I don't believe original diagnosis has anything to do with whether one has difficulty withdrawing. Most people here probably don't have anything related to autism or Asperger's. (I sometimes claim to have mild Asperger's but in reality I'm just a social klutz.)

How interesting that you've linked this to being bullied. Can you forgive yourself for that now?

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

Claudius ~

If there's any loose correlation I believe it would be that Aspergers are high functioning/high IQ and more sensitive to emotional insults and likely to seek psychiatric help

Just MHO FWIW

Pristiq tapered over 8 months ending Spring 2011 after 18 years of polydrugging that began w/Zoloft for fatigue/general malaise (not mood). CURRENT: 1mg Klonopin qhs (SSRI bruxism), 75mg trazodone qhs, various hormonesLitigation for 11 years for Work-related injury, settled 2004. Involuntary medical retirement in 2001 (age 39). 2012 - brain MRI showing diffuse, chronic cerebrovascular damage/demyelination possibly vasculitis/cerebritis. Dx w/autoimmune polyendocrine failure.<p>2013 - Dx w/CNS Sjogren's Lupus (FANA antibodies first appeared in 1997 but missed by doc).

• 3 months later...

Claudius ~

If there's any loose correlation I believe it would be that Aspergers are high functioning/high IQ and more sensitive to emotional insults and likely to seek psychiatric help

Just MHO FWIW

Your looking at the poster boy for aspergers! As a child, i was socially and physically inept, Spent most of my time with my nose in a biography, the only discussion you could get out of me was a musical discussion, never did see the use in play, yadda, yadda, yadda. What got me suspicious about me suffering from asperger's was my brother and sister-in-law. They saw some traits in me that they see in their youngest children, both of whom are severely autistic. When they were born, and first diagnosed as autistic, the first thing the shrink wanted to do in order to get them under control was to pump them full of medication. Fortunately, my brother and his wife had the sense to tell the psychiatric community to go to hell.

History:

1995--Prozac--Quit CT by GP

1995--Effexor--Quit per my GP

1996--Amitriphene--Quit CT when changed GP

2005--Citalopram and BusPar. Prescribed when I decompensated in my GP's office. GP referred me to behavior health. Psychiatrist prescibed these drugs. Taken off citalopram in 2011 due to FDA warning. Quit Buspar during transition to viibryd.

Viibryd--2011 to present. Had a severe reaction in March 2012. Advised both GP and Psychiatrist I was trying to get off these drugs.

• 2 months later...

http://mobile.reuters.com/article/idUSBRE85I09F20120619?irpc=932

Big Pharma Strikes again! Now they want to "cure" us on the autism spectrum. I had enough problems with antidepressants. Other than taking more of my money, why can't Big Pharma leave us alone?

History:

1995--Prozac--Quit CT by GP

1995--Effexor--Quit per my GP

1996--Amitriphene--Quit CT when changed GP

2005--Citalopram and BusPar. Prescribed when I decompensated in my GP's office. GP referred me to behavior health. Psychiatrist prescibed these drugs. Taken off citalopram in 2011 due to FDA warning. Quit Buspar during transition to viibryd.

Viibryd--2011 to present. Had a severe reaction in March 2012. Advised both GP and Psychiatrist I was trying to get off these drugs.

I just read this earlier this week. Coincidental, eh? They have a cure for what they caused. How big of them. Perhaps "idiopathic" should read "iatrogenic". It's good to know the fish were treated ethically.

Psychoactive Pharmaceuticals Induce Fish Gene Expression Profiles Associated with Human Idiopathic Autism

http://www.plosone.org/article/info%3Adoi%2F10.1371%2Fjournal.pone.0032917

Pristiq tapered over 8 months ending Spring 2011 after 18 years of polydrugging that began w/Zoloft for fatigue/general malaise (not mood). CURRENT: 1mg Klonopin qhs (SSRI bruxism), 75mg trazodone qhs, various hormonesLitigation for 11 years for Work-related injury, settled 2004. Involuntary medical retirement in 2001 (age 39). 2012 - brain MRI showing diffuse, chronic cerebrovascular damage/demyelination possibly vasculitis/cerebritis. Dx w/autoimmune polyendocrine failure.<p>2013 - Dx w/CNS Sjogren's Lupus (FANA antibodies first appeared in 1997 but missed by doc).

• 10 years later...
  • Moderator Emeritus

I was diagnosed about 22 years ago, at age 39, as having high functioning autism (HFA).  I'm able to communicate better through writing and painting than by speaking.  I believe that my depression and anxiety, which was the reason I was put on psych drugs, was caused to a significant degree, by the struggles from the HFA.  Also, I was born in the early 60's, and little to nothing was known about autism then.   My family, school, etc just thought I was weird and different, and I received little to no support, and bullying was a constant theme.  

One of my goals is to unpatient myself, so I don't believe that ASD (autistic spectrum disorder) is truly a disorder, but just a brain difference.  I think of it as being neurodivergent.  I live in a country (USA) that highly values being socially competent and extroverted, and tends to discriminate against and bully people who are not as skilled in the social arena.  I think it is tragic that many of us who have neurodivergencies, and then become depressed or anxious because of the difficulties of fitting in, then get medicated and put in a chemical straightjacket.  My hope is that more neurodivergents will find non drug support early on in life, and hence lessen the depression and anxiety we have, and the so called need for psych drugs.  

There is a stereotype of autistic people, and in actual fact many of us learn to mask (hide) these traits, and so we fly under the radar.  

Persons with autism tend to have a lot of gifts to offer the world - many of us are highly skilled in the arts, technology, science, math, and more.  

Please do not private message me.  Only tag me for urgent questions about tapering and reinstating - thank you.  

***Please note this is not medical advice.  Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a doctor who understands psych meds and how to withdraw from them, if you can find one.

Lexapro   Started Apr 15 2010 - 10 mg;  started taper August 2017, recent taper info: Apr 2 '20  0.18 mg; Jul 16  0.17 mg, Aug 23  0.16 mg, Oct 7  0.15 mg, Nov 8 - 0.14, Jan 16 '21 - 0.13, Feb 7 - 0.12, Feb 22 - 0.11, Mar 26 - 0.10, May 21 - 0.09, June 15 - 0.08 Aug 16 - 0.07, Oct 6 - 0.06, Nov 21 0.05, Dec. 17 0.04, Jan 14 '22 0.03, Feb 19 0.02, Apr 18 0.01, May 15 0.005,  Jul 8, 0.00.  Psych Drug Free as of July 8, 2022!!  Woohoo!!!

other meds: Levothyroxine 75 mg

magnesium in small amounts at 4 AM, before bed

suppl AM: fish oil, flax oil, vit C, vit E, multivitamin, zinc

suppl 8 PM: magnesium 350 mg, extended release vitamin C, melatonin 2 mg

Paxil 2002 - 2010, switched to Lexapro 2010 

Trazodone 50 mg. 2002 - 2019, fast tapered in 2019 

Xanax 0.5 mg as needed 2002 - 2019, up to 3x weekly 

• Mentor

Thank you @getofflexfor sharing! I love the inpatient yourself. So so true! It seems like people that don’t have insurance don’t get sick or labeled with a list of health issues. 
Our daughter also finds writing stories and drawing as her favorite. She has been writing stories and drawing since she was probably 10 or 11.  She was born at 25 weeks, under 1 lbs.  She is a young adult now. She was tested young and even a few years ago . Negative on the hfa. But positive for a little add and disability in math. Dr did give her meds for add early on but we saw that had very little affect. 15 years ago we trusted drs more than we do now. 
When she was real young there was a test which showed possibly yadyyadyyady. We were so tired of all the tests when she was an infant since she was one of the lowest weight premes. 
We have noticed over the years after starting grammar school a few similarities in her with hfa and add. Focusing issues even now. Not as social. And like many others some bullying and out cast in school. As a result she is more sensitive to things said even when we try to help with knowledge. she is smart, thrifty, caring and loving and strong willed and has recently graduated college. She is definitely a miracle from God! We love her so much! 

As I learn and get older I see that labeling as a problem/sick/ not normal only makes more problems for the person. I’m against diagnostic labels but I am for knowledge. And most of the time where do people start to search for knowledge- the dr. Now a days we have google and forums to learn without getting labeled. But if you don’t get labeled in USA then no help from government college jobs etc.

2000-2013 Paxil - 1 year fast taper

2013-2018 merry go round
zoloft, cymbalta, lamictal, Prozac.

Nov. 2018 lexapro 15 mgs, Dec. 2019 to Mar. 2020 taper to 10mg. Jul 2020 to October 2020 taper to 8.5 ml.
Oct 2020 reinstated to 9 ml.
Apr 2021 to Jul  taper to 7ml. Oct 2021 to Jan 2022 taper to 5.9ml, Mar 5 2022 5.8 ml, Mar 12 5.7ml, Mar 20 5.6ml, Mar 27 5.5ml, April 23 5.4ml, April 30 5.3ml, May 7 5.2ml,  Jul 9 2022 5.4ml, 

Klonopin prn, Allegra 180 for 3 seasons, aspirin 81 mg, plavix , nitroglycerin 0.4 mg prn, 2k mg  turmeric Qunol, 4- Trader Joe’s omega 3 -2400 mg, Pepcid 20mg,  Prilosec 40 mg, Tylenol arthritis 4 tablets daily, 350mg calm magnesium citrate, melatonin 2.5- 5mg as needed to sleep. Saline spray as needed. 

• Moderator Emeritus
3 hours ago, Heath said:

She is definitely a miracle from God!

She certainly does sound like a miracle, that she graduated college, and is doing so well, after being born so small.  I'm glad that you accept her as she is, and you accentuate her good qualities.  

3 hours ago, Heath said:

As I learn and get older I see that labeling as a problem/sick/ not normal only makes more problems for the person

Yes, being labeled as diseased, just for being different, negatively affects the self esteem, and the confidence to do things in life.  

Please do not private message me.  Only tag me for urgent questions about tapering and reinstating - thank you.  

***Please note this is not medical advice.  Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a doctor who understands psych meds and how to withdraw from them, if you can find one.

Lexapro   Started Apr 15 2010 - 10 mg;  started taper August 2017, recent taper info: Apr 2 '20  0.18 mg; Jul 16  0.17 mg, Aug 23  0.16 mg, Oct 7  0.15 mg, Nov 8 - 0.14, Jan 16 '21 - 0.13, Feb 7 - 0.12, Feb 22 - 0.11, Mar 26 - 0.10, May 21 - 0.09, June 15 - 0.08 Aug 16 - 0.07, Oct 6 - 0.06, Nov 21 0.05, Dec. 17 0.04, Jan 14 '22 0.03, Feb 19 0.02, Apr 18 0.01, May 15 0.005,  Jul 8, 0.00.  Psych Drug Free as of July 8, 2022!!  Woohoo!!!

other meds: Levothyroxine 75 mg

magnesium in small amounts at 4 AM, before bed

suppl AM: fish oil, flax oil, vit C, vit E, multivitamin, zinc

suppl 8 PM: magnesium 350 mg, extended release vitamin C, melatonin 2 mg

Paxil 2002 - 2010, switched to Lexapro 2010 

Trazodone 50 mg. 2002 - 2019, fast tapered in 2019 

Xanax 0.5 mg as needed 2002 - 2019, up to 3x weekly 

• ChessieCat changed the title to Autism/Asperger and WD problems