SurvivingAntidepressants.org is temporarily closed to new registrations until 1 April ×

The benzodiazepine medical disaster

Vanora

I want to reach out to those of you on the benzodiazepine forum, we need people willing to submit their stories of benzodiazepine dependence and withdrawal for our campaign to bring this to the attention of the media. All are welcome but we really need to hear from people based in the UK and as many as possible for maximum impact. You need only write a few lines and you can choose to be anonymous so please join our Facebook page set up to inform journalists.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/175524142996973/

This is our letter including victims testimonies addressed to BBC Panorama and ITV - http://www.nevertrustadoctor.wordpress.com/benzodiazepine-medical-disaster

Edited by ChessieCat
OP mistake made in link/cc removed extra white space

1979 put on Clomipramine.
Failed attempt to withdraw from Clomipramine started on Seroxat 1992.
1997 Effexor replaces Seroxat after failed withdrawal.
2011 fail to withdraw from Effexor despite combined use of Prozac and Seroquel. Started on Cymbalta.
Anxiety not resolved by Cymbalta so taper off by 28th March 2012. Left on 10mg Buspirone and 1 quarter of 5mg Diazepam.
Anxiety at times very severe. 19th May take my first half of a 5mg Lamictal.

As of 5/11/2013, off all psychiatric drugs. Doing better but hope for more healing yet.

• ChessieCat changed the title to The Benzodiazepine Medical Disaster

Good job, so glad to see the part about an inquest.  How long are you taking comments?

I am not a medical professional and nothing I say is a medical opinion or meant to be medical advice, please seek a competent and trusted medical professional to consult for all medical decisions.

Thank you UnfoldingSky, we have no time limit for comments. As I understand it we are getting quite a bit of interest in our campaign though we need more people to come forward, the case is better made with larger numbers. I'd be grateful if you could spread the word. Thanks again.  Vanora 

2011 fail to withdraw from Effexor despite combined use of Prozac and Seroquel. Started on Cymbalta.
Anxiety not resolved by Cymbalta so taper off by 28th March 2012. Left on 10mg Buspirone and 1 quarter of 5mg Diazepam.

As of 5/11/2013, off all psychiatric drugs. Doing better but hope for more healing yet.

Good to hear of the interest, will spread around.  I am not in the UK but will add my story too.

I am not a medical professional and nothing I say is a medical opinion or meant to be medical advice, please seek a competent and trusted medical professional to consult for all medical decisions.

I appreciate this UnfoldingSky. Thank you so much.

• ChessieCat changed the title to The benzodiazepine medical disaster
  • 1 month later...

My life was very badly affected by benzodiazepines too. I lost 10 years of my life, and went through withdrawals that lasted years. I still haven't fully recovered. Doctors don't believe or take me seriously that withdrawal can go on this long. It was barbaric. The medical establishment really need to acknowledge the damage they cause from these drugs.

Last took an SSRI January 2009.

Last took a benzodiazepine May 2015.

Free from all prescription medication since May 2015.

Everything has mostly healed apart from PSSD which is still very bad, and is my most distressing symptom. Also i have developed some allergy problems/ sensitivities to things in the environment which i believe was possibly caused by the prescription medications (SSRI's and benzos).

7 hours ago, Spruce30 said:

informed My life was very badly affected by benzodiazepines too. I lost 10 years of my life, and went through withdrawals that lasted years. I still haven't fully recovered. Doctors don't believe or take me seriously that withdrawal can go on this long. It was barbaric. The medical establishment really need to acknowledge the damage they cause from these drugs.

Professor Malcolm Lader has said that getting off benzos is harder than getting of heroin. For me coming off antidepressants was hell on earth and with benzos added into the mix they just prolonged my misery. I empathise Spruce and I'm sorry to hear that you lost 10 years plus to benzos, it can take a while to recover from this as I know only too well myself. If you feel up to it perhaps you could add your story to our FB page. We have had no luck with Panorama so far but I'm reliably informed that an independent award winning TV producer is seriously interested in a documentary and also a Granada ITV producer is looking into the possibilities of filming on the benzo issue. And of course there is the Holly Hardman film "As Prescribed" nearing completion from across the pond. It's all happening! I have to hope it helps to concentrate the minds of the medical establishment.  Best wishes from a fellow SSRI and benzo survivor.      

• 1 month later...

Recently we had some publicity on the benzodiazepine medical disaster featuring Barry Haslam the long-time benzo campaigner talking on ITV regional television in Yorkshire. We are calling for a public inquiry and for a UK wide helpline for the victims of not just those prescribed benzos but also antidepressants. It is hoped the story will be picked up across the whole country.

http://www.itv.com/news/calendar/2018-01-03/yorkshire-patients-call-for-a-inquiry-into-the-prescription-of-addictive-legal-drugs/   

"Professor Malcolm Lader has said that getting off benzos is harder than getting of heroin. "

A famous English rock musician said the very same thing (re Ativan - which I had been prescribed) circa 1979.

I recall reading it at the time in a "quality" Sunday newspaper running a big story on it.

Has much changed in nearly 40 years?

Well yes, countless millions more victims chalked up, I would guess.

Born 1945. 

1999 - First Effexor/Venlafaxine

2016 Withdrawal research. Effexor.  13Jul - 212.5mg;  6Aug - 200.0mg;  24Aug - 187.5mg;  13Sep - 175.0mg;  3Oct - 162.5mg;  26Oct - 150mg 

2017  9Jan - 150.00mg;  23Mar - 137.50mg;  24Apr - 125.00mg;  31May - 112.50mg holding;  3Sep - 100.00mg;  20Sep - 93.75mg;  20Oct - 87.5mg;  12Nov - 81.25mg;  13 Dec - 75.00mg

2018  18Jan - 69.1mg; 16Feb - 62.5mg; 16March - 57.5mg (-8%); 22Apr - 56.3mg(-2%); CRASHED - Updose 29May - 62.5mg; Updose - 1Jul - 75.0mg. Updose - 2Aug - 87.5mg. Updose - 27Aug - 100.0mg. Updose - 11Oct 112.5mg. Updose - 6Nov 125.00mg

2019 Updoses 19 Jan - 150.0mg. 1April - 162.5mg. 24 April - Feeling better - doing tasks, getting outside.  7 May - usual depression questionnaire gives "probably no depression" result.

Supps/Vits  Omega 3;  Chelated Magnesium;  Prebiotics/Probiotics, Vit D3. 

Interesting peng, I wonder who the famous rock musician was? Malcolm Ladar made the comment about benzos being harder to get off than heroin in a BBC Radio 4 programme in 1999. He could have made a similar comment before then of course but you are right about the "countless millions" of benzo damaged victims. I saw a newspaper article from 2010 of a man who'd been prescribed a benzo in 1965, 45 years later and he was still on the drug. The University of Roehampton estimate the UK has up to 1.9m long term users of benzodiazepines. Across the pond I think the benzo issue is huge but doesn't get the same attention as the opioids. The problem hasn't gone away. And I think there is an awareness certainly among people who abuse benzos as to how incredibly hard it can be to get off them. Stevie Nicks was pretty clear that klonopin was worse than withdrawing from cocaine or heroin.

Barry Haslam has been calling for many years for a public inquiry into the benzodiazepine scandal which government after government has chosen to ignore. The fear of litigation no doubt plays on their minds and the wheels of justice move slow in the UK. One day we hope......    

I wonder "Who" the famous rock musician was, you ask, Vanora.  :rolleyes:

Born 1945. 

1999 - First Effexor/Venlafaxine

2016 Withdrawal research. Effexor.  13Jul - 212.5mg;  6Aug - 200.0mg;  24Aug - 187.5mg;  13Sep - 175.0mg;  3Oct - 162.5mg;  26Oct - 150mg 

2017  9Jan - 150.00mg;  23Mar - 137.50mg;  24Apr - 125.00mg;  31May - 112.50mg holding;  3Sep - 100.00mg;  20Sep - 93.75mg;  20Oct - 87.5mg;  12Nov - 81.25mg;  13 Dec - 75.00mg

2018  18Jan - 69.1mg; 16Feb - 62.5mg; 16March - 57.5mg (-8%); 22Apr - 56.3mg(-2%); CRASHED - Updose 29May - 62.5mg; Updose - 1Jul - 75.0mg. Updose - 2Aug - 87.5mg. Updose - 27Aug - 100.0mg. Updose - 11Oct 112.5mg. Updose - 6Nov 125.00mg

2019 Updoses 19 Jan - 150.0mg. 1April - 162.5mg. 24 April - Feeling better - doing tasks, getting outside.  7 May - usual depression questionnaire gives "probably no depression" result.

Supps/Vits  Omega 3;  Chelated Magnesium;  Prebiotics/Probiotics, Vit D3.