SurvivingAntidepressants.org is temporarily closed to new registrations until 1 April ×

Plant based lifestyle, vegetarian, vegan

KarenB

• Moderator Emeritus

I remember reading somewhere on SA that it's important to have either meat or at least fish-oil in one's diet when in withdrawal, as a sort of building block.  And I think I recall reading years ago that GiaK from BeyondMeds reintroduced meat into her diet to try to improve things during her w/d.  (Correct me if I've got that wrong Gia).

Is there anyone else who has found that a shift from vegetarianism to a diet which includes some meat has been helpful?  And in what ways? 

(I'm not vegetarian, just curious as I want to be able to answer members more accurately when this comes up). 

Thanks in advance... :)

2010  Fluoxetine 20mg.  2011  Escitalopram 20mg.  2013 Tapered badly and destabilised CNS.  Effexor 150mg. 

2015 Begin using info at SurvivingAntidepressants.  Cut 10% - bad w/d 2 months, held 1 month. 

Micro-tapering: four weekly 0.4% cuts, hold 4 weeks (struggling with symptoms).

8 month hold.

2017 Micro-tapering: four weekly 1% cuts, hold 4 weeks (symptoms almost non-existent).

2020 Still micro-tapering. Just over 2/3 of the way off effexor. Minimal symptoms, - and sleeping well.
Supplements: Fish oil, vitamin C, iron, oat-straw tea, nettle tea.

2023 Now on 7 micro-beads of Effexor. Minimal symptoms but much more time needed between drops.

'The possibility of renewal exists so long as life exists.'  Dr Gabor Mate.

• Moderator Emeritus

Yes, I was a vegetarian prior to withdrawal and then had to switch to eating meat. I had been a vegetarian since I as 15, so that was 32 years of not eating meat. 

I stopped being able to use supplements in 2014 due to GI issues from withdrawal. But I stuck with the vegetarian diet, even though I ended up having to go to a very limited diet. Basically, I was suffering from malnutrition at that point, I'm sure. 

In 2015, because of the recommendation on this site for taking fish oil, I began eating fish. This helped with fatigue and cognitive skills. And then I added in chicken and later, bone broth. The chicken helped with the additional protein and the bone broth has glycine in it which helps with sleep. 

For any vegetarian members who are unable to use supplements and / or have to go on an elimination diet, I would recommend at least adding in fish several times a week. 

I know there are many moral, religious, and climate change related reasons for being a vegetarian, but for the sake of my own health, I felt it was the best thing I could do. 

I'm also very mindful of the fact that while I was a vegetarian, I was consuming lots of psychiatric drugs which had all been tested on animals. Now that I'm off the drugs, I take solace in the fact that I'm not contributing to that sort of mistreatment of animals. 

I hope to return to the vegetarian diet at some point and even though I was devastated on many levels for eating meat after so many decades as a vegetarian, I feel it was the right thing to do. 

Please note when transitioning from a vegetarian diet to a meat diet, it's best to do so very gradually and give yourself time to adjust, adding in one item at a time and at a very small amount. 

• 3 weeks later...

This topic is very close to my heart.

I firmly believe that the greatest suffering we can cause as human's is through contributing to the meat, dairy and egg industry. It is barbaric, it is cruel, it is abusive and it is absolutely shameful what we as human's put these living, breathing, intelligent, sentient, loving creatures through in order to gain satisfaction from consuming them. I could go on forever about why not to contribute to this industry. There are 100000 reasons to not consume animal products. There's about 3 reasons to consume them. For me, my life has so much more meaning to it, so much more purity knowing that im doing my level best to minimize suffering.

I understand that through the wd process we need to ensure adequate nutrition. I take a sardine & anchovy oil a few days a week as I feel it is important. I also consciously consume fish which I have caught by hand, on occasion. In an ideal world I would love to not do so.

I am however very skeptical about why people in the wd process think red meat or white meat is beneficial? It may contain iron and b vitamins and amino's , but so does plant food, and to a higher extent. And guess what?? Plant's don't massively contribute to cancer, diabetes, heart disease, stroke etc... where as most animal products do.

My advice, eat fish if you need to, try and get it yourself, but if you can't choose wisely where you get it from. Eat eggs. They're full of nutrients, vitamins and aminos. But get good eggs. Buy organic, free range. I get mine from people with pet chickens where I know they're well looked after. Scrap dairy, red meat, poultry and pork from your life. It does nothing for you other than slowly kill you and it is a barbaric, age old tradition which has no place in this modern world. Eat your greens, eat all veges and fruits, nuts, seeds, organic soy products etc. And most of all do your own research.

Started Citalopram in 2005 (aged 15) for apparent "OCD" - 60mg 

July 2015 attempted 2 x 10% + cuts 4 weeks apart. WD symptoms intense at times. Need to slow down.

November 2016 - Resumed taper. 1.25 - 1.5% decrease weekly approx.

44.5mg November 2016. Jan 2017 42.5 mg. March 2017 40 mg. June 2017 37mg. September 2018 22mg. Nov 2018 Holding at 22mg to stabilise from moderate wave. January 2020 - Holding, mostly feeling fine, but still having some waves at times. 

February 2020 - Resumed taper , 1.5% reduction weekly/every two weeks. 

• Moderator Emeritus

This topic is very close to my heart.

I firmly believe that the greatest suffering we can cause as human's is through contributing to the meat, dairy and egg industry. It is barbaric, it is cruel, it is abusive and it is absolutely shameful what we as human's put these living, breathing, intelligent, sentient, loving creatures through in order to gain satisfaction from consuming them. I could go on forever about why not to contribute to this industry. There are 100000 reasons to not consume animal products. There's about 3 reasons to consume them. For me, my life has so much more meaning to it, so much more purity knowing that im doing my level best to minimize suffering.

Please keep this thread on topic.  It is not about beliefs, but about consuming a vegetarian diet during withdrawal.

* NO LONGER ACTIVE on SA *

MISSION ACCOMPLISHED:  (6 year taper)      0mg Pristiq  on 13th November 2021

ADs since ~1992:  25+ years - 1 unknown, Prozac (muscle weakness), Zoloft; citalopram (pooped out) CTed (very sick for 2.5 wks a few months after); Pristiq:  50mg 2012, 100mg beg 2013 (Serotonin Toxicity)  Tapering from Oct 2015 - 13 Nov 2021   LAST DOSE 0.0025mg

Post 0 updates start here    My tapering program     My Intro (goes to tapering graph)

VIDEO:   Antidepressant Withdrawal Syndrome and its Management

• Administrator

Consult with your own physiology to determine if you should eat vegetarian. If you feel better, it might be suited to you.

If you do not eat animal products, including dairy, you will need to supplement vitamin B12. For humans, B12 is essential and the only way you can get it is by eating animal products or taking a supplement.

No matter your type of diet, be sure to get good protein to help your body heal from adverse drug effects. Your body needs protein to rebuild itself.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

• Moderator Emeritus

Thanks Shep for taking the time to outline what decisions you made and how they affected you.  It's helpful to know those specifics.

Nick What led you to decide to use the fish oils and the fresh fish?  Did you notice any differences once you started taking them? 

2010  Fluoxetine 20mg.  2011  Escitalopram 20mg.  2013 Tapered badly and destabilised CNS.  Effexor 150mg. 

2015 Begin using info at SurvivingAntidepressants.  Cut 10% - bad w/d 2 months, held 1 month. 

Micro-tapering: four weekly 0.4% cuts, hold 4 weeks (struggling with symptoms).

8 month hold.

2017 Micro-tapering: four weekly 1% cuts, hold 4 weeks (symptoms almost non-existent).

2020 Still micro-tapering. Just over 2/3 of the way off effexor. Minimal symptoms, - and sleeping well.
Supplements: Fish oil, vitamin C, iron, oat-straw tea, nettle tea.

2023 Now on 7 micro-beads of Effexor. Minimal symptoms but much more time needed between drops.

'The possibility of renewal exists so long as life exists.'  Dr Gabor Mate.

• 1 month later...

I am vegan, and have been for 6 years. I can't see a compelling need to introduce animal products into my diet now. I do supplement Vitamin B12, Omega 3 (vegecaps) and magnesium (I've had issues in the past either a deficiency and bruising when exercising), and eat a healthy diet. 

Since I have been vegan, I have only been on ADs since Feb 2016 after two deaths.

Prior to being vegan, I experienced multiple "lifelong" (as per doctors) health issues - depression, anxiety, chronic mononucleosis, CFS, fibromylagia, constant upper respiratory tract infections, MVP symptoms and arrhythmia. All resolved as a vegan (the arrythmia to my cardiologist's surprise). I feel that my body recovers from illness and exercise quicker than when I consumed meat and dairy, so I can't see why this wouldn't extend to my brain. 

It'll be interesting to see if I have a fairly standard recovery path, as I can't see why I wouldn't :)

Citalopram: Feb 2016 to May 2017. I tapered over 2 weeks under the supervision of my GP.

Dosage: 20mg pd.

Tapering: 20mg every 2nd day for 1 week, 20mg every 3rd day for 1 week.

Reason to quit: Mitral valve prolapse - disturbing palpitations and chest pain which resolved off meds; weight gain.

• Mentor

I am mostly vegetarian, and hope to someday go back to being fully vegan. I have lost most of my excess weight and gone off a whole slew of medications for various health conditions that have fully resolved by eating a whole foods, plant based, primarily vegan diet.

However, I have, much to my own personal disappointment, discovered that I have had to re introduce some animal products into my diet during recovery from AD withdrawal.

Eating meat slows down my digestion (which, I have read, is one reason it's not all that great for most ppl, most of the time) I was losing wt far too fast, and getting weak, dizzy and just feeling horrible. If I want to continue to eat lots of veggies, fruits and beans, at least for now, I need a little bit of fatty meat to slow down my digestion, or all that good food goes right thru me too quickly.

I know this will change in time and eventually I will be able to go back to the diet I prefer.

During recovery, I would actually feel a strong craving for some things, such as fish, eggs and the occasional burger. I have given in to those cravings, in the hopes that my body is trying to tell me that the cravings mean I need the nutrients in these foods.

and so far, it's been working out ok.   A few times, I ate too many eggs all at once or ate fried fish and had some issues with the excess fat gumming up my digestion, but for the most part, occasionally eating fish and eggs has helped.

Now I plan to eat some lower mercury fish twice a week or so, and if I feel the need,  a few eggs from a local farm, and the occasional burger (but mostly because that's cheap and easy to get when I'm out with someone, don't have access to healthier foods and feel that putting off eating would be worse for me than having the burger)

If you are interested in what fish are the best to get to avoid too much mercury, check out this link or do some research on your own. Please keep in mind that the FDA site uses averages, so the mercury content in fish will vary depending on the source etc.

https://www.fda.gov/downloads/Food/FoodborneIllnessContaminants/Metals/UCM537120.pdf

• pysch med history: 1974 @ age 18 to Oct 2017 (approx 43 yrs total) 
  •  Drug list: stelazine, haldol, elavil, lithium, zoloft, celexa, lexapro(doses as high as 40mgs), klonopin, ambien, seroquel(high doses), depakote, zyprexa, lamictal- plus brief trials of dozens of other psych meds over the years
  • started lexapro 2002, dose varied from 20mgs to 40mgs. First attempt to get off it was 2007- WD symptoms were mistaken for "relapse". 
  •  2013 too fast taper down to 5mg but WD forced me back to 20mgs
  •  June of 2105, tapered again too rapidly to 2.5mgs by Dec 2015. Found SA, held at 2.5 mgs til May 2016 when I foolishly "jumped off". felt ok until  Sept, then acute WD hit!!  reinstated at 0.3mgs in Oct. 2106
  • Tapered off to zero by  Oct. 2017 Doing very well. 
  • Nov. 2018 feel 95% healed, age 63 
  • Jan. 2020 feel 100% healed, peaceful and content
  • Dec 2023 Loving life! ❤️ with all it's ups and downs ;) 

• Moderator Emeritus

I don't know much........one of my concerns........and granted, I have a poor understanding of it.........are the amino acids that I believe are prevalent in so many of the supplements promoted and used.  I think amino acids are the building blocks of proteins(or are a protein source?, certainly correct me if I am wrong here) as well as possibly play a role in neurotransmitter function. 

Neurotransmitter function.  Other than the fact that neurotransmitters are prevalent........more so in the gut than the brain(to the best of my understanding).........the mythology so prevalent in the past couple of decades sure doesn't help advance any ones understanding.

So......most of us do most likely suffer some grave neurotransmitter(or ?chemical) imbalances post psycho medication/drugging.  And perhaps eating more natural sources of proteins/? amino acids is the way to go?  Which are hard to find really........I don't know if I, personally........will ever be a huge fresh fish eater.  I mean maybe.........if I transplant myself to live next to a well stocked lake or river or something.  I sure don't crave fish products.........those ones in a can.........yuch!   Maybe the craving comes on as you eat more fish products.........just like the craving for sugar disappears when you don't eat it.   However, I do eat meat on occasion and have never been fully vegetarian.  I also eat eggs.  I have to stay away from certain nuts and have done better limiting soy products. 

Yes.......I get the cravings too H2H..........though usually when I have just waited too long to eat........for burgers and such.  So hard.......to do the small frequent healthy feeds sometimes........  So sometimes I don't know for sure if it's my bodies intuitive signal for something or not.

Very, very difficult, I think, to get what one needs, for healing/recovery just from omega's and B12 and folate, whatever, etc.

I don't know how it works but I think some of the psycho drugs actually cause some muscle wasting and that can never quite be remedied........at least further damage can be mitigated with some focused exercise and possibly diet.  And appropriate clothing..........just kidding.......

Good topic.  Diet, nutrition..........huge factor I think in this W/D process of healing/recovery.

I do think, for me anyway.......being conscientious, paying attention to.........my protein intake..........eggs, meat, fish, other........has been helpful.  In the energy department for me.........less fatigued, improved cognition and focus.

Love, peace, recovery/healing, and growth,

manymoretodays

Late 2023- gone to emeritus status, inactive, don't @ me, I can check who I've posted on, and I'm not really here like I used to be......thanks.

Started with psycho meds/psychiatric care circa 1988.  In retrospect, and on contemplation, situational overwhelm.

Rounding up to 30 years of medications(30 medication trials, poly-pharmacy maximum was 3 at one time).

5/28/2015-off Adderal salts 2.5mg. (I had been on that since hospital 10/2014)

12/2015---just holding, holding, holding, with trileptal/oxcarb at 75 mg. 1/2 tab at hs.  My last psycho med ever!  Tapered @ 10% every 4 weeks, sometimes 2 weeks to

2016 Dec 16 medication free!!

Longer signature post here, with current supplements.

Herb and alcohol free since 5/15/2016.  And.....I quit smoking 11/2021. Lapsed.  Redo of quit smoking 9/28/2022.  Can you say Hallelujah?(took me long enough)💜

None of my posts are intended as medical advice.  Please discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical provider.  My success story:  Blue skies ahead, clear sailing

• 3 months later...

Everyone that has followed my case, knows how much I have struggled over the past 5 years. Withdrawal has greatly improved, but I am left with an adequate memory impairment and some brain fog and anxiety and minor depression and probably some derealization etc. 

Well one month ago I was talking to some nutritionalists and dieticians and I watched "what the health" and this decision came to me like the perfect storm, kinda like when withdrawal hit.

I went plant based one month ago and have already felt more energy, a touch of clarity and anxiety has gone down too. I just started ! Eating this way will detox the body, brain and soul. Cutting out meat and dairy , cut out so many toxins and chemicals that our bodies cannot process. When you go plant based, you eat lots of fruits, and a lot of veggies , and you get to create so many yummy meals. 

Facebook and the net have tons of groups and recipes to get started. If you can go "Raw Vegan" it really opens up the detox ports. You will really heal a lot of disease and disorders. The research speaks for itself. 

When you eat clean, you thrive. This may just help out on your withdrawal journey. 

Pm if you need any help~ everyone here was great and helpful in my recovery.

Cheers

2007-2012started Effexor xr 225mg -150mg- Varied2months of Taper,(March 22/2012 Off Med/in W/D)Currently No medicationMarch 22/2012- August 16/2012 - Totally Off Effexor( Rough Rough time) Reinstatement for a week(didn't work)****** New Doctor******* Very nice/helpful and in touch.Tried Zoloft- No successAUGUST 17/2012- STARTED 37.5 EFFEXOR FOR ONE WEEK - NOT GOOD < STOPPED.Started Buspar Oct 11th 2012----10 mg for the first 7 days and then 15mg a day---- Taking a new route----Racing thoughts - Gone.Oct 9th ( Done Zoloft,wellbutrin week project trial to feel better) - OFFICIALLY OFF ANTI DEPRESSANT !Oct 26 - Raised Buspar to 20mg a day- Tolerating wellJan 2nd 2013-

Reduce Buspar until full off march 20th 2015 Off all medication !

Tried natural supplements to no avail

Gluten/sugar free since december 2013

Different diets work for different people. There have been many people who have went vegan/vegetarian and their health suffered as a consequence, being fatigued and weak and having a general lack of vibrancy from the lack of nourishing protein and nutrients such as B12 in meat. My own hunch is that a physically active man ie an athlete or manual labourer could not sustain himself adequately on a vegan/vegetarian diet. 

May 2007 - October 2007 Citalopram 20 mg od. 1st Antidepressant ever taken. No problem with fast taper and no withdrawal effects. No antidepressants for over 5 years.

January 2013 started Citalopram 20mg.

March 2014 Switched to Sertraline 50 mg od.

23rd June 2016 started taper 45mg

23.07.16 40.5mg 23.08.16 36.45mg 27.09.16 34.65mg 24.10.16 32.90mg 28.11.16 31.26mg 04.01.17 32mg 25.02.17 31mg 22.03.17 30mg 14.04.17 29mg 09.05.17 28mg 07.06.17 27mg 08.06.17 26mg 13.07.17 25mg 07.08.17 24mg 24.08.17 23mg 13.09.17 22mg 12.10.17 21mg 10.11.17 20mg 04.12.17 19mg 01.01.18 17mg 25.01.18 15mg 22.02.18 13.5mg 25.03.18 12.15mg 

10 hours ago, Lakelander82 said:

Different diets work for different people. There have been many people who have went vegan/vegetarian and their health suffered as a consequence, being fatigued and weak and having a general lack of vibrancy from the lack of nourishing protein and nutrients such as B12 in meat. My own hunch is that a physically active man ie an athlete or manual labourer could not sustain himself adequately on a vegan/vegetarian diet. 

I will stop you right there. (Mod Note:  Please see this post).  There is adequate protein, even more protein and a more complete protein in vegetables , than their is in meat. Studies prove so

Also you want to know if a man can handle it. Google the strong man in the world. He is plant based

I know a million people that will vouch for the validity of the benefits of a plant based diet. It is actually what we are suppose to eat, not dead corpse and rotten flesh. Your body and everyone else is designed to eat a plant based diet. The problem is we have listened to the wrong people and have been brainwashed all our life's to think otherwise.

The people that were weak and fatigued definitely have a difficient in some areas and I assume never ate a full whole foods plant based diet.

I am just letting people know for those who are interested and haven't gone this route, options are available. 

#Health First

Fun fact - Plant based lifestyle actually reverses cardiovascular disease. Do you know why ? Its because our cells are alive and our food is alive. Go cook some meat and nourish yourself with Anti biotics and hormones...No thanks

Won't be back to this post if it is just people trying to poo poo on stuff they don't know, nor took time to educate themselves on the subject. 

Edited by ChessieCat
Added Mod Note

2007-2012started Effexor xr 225mg -150mg- Varied2months of Taper,(March 22/2012 Off Med/in W/D)Currently No medicationMarch 22/2012- August 16/2012 - Totally Off Effexor( Rough Rough time) Reinstatement for a week(didn't work)****** New Doctor******* Very nice/helpful and in touch.Tried Zoloft- No successAUGUST 17/2012- STARTED 37.5 EFFEXOR FOR ONE WEEK - NOT GOOD < STOPPED.Started Buspar Oct 11th 2012----10 mg for the first 7 days and then 15mg a day---- Taking a new route----Racing thoughts - Gone.Oct 9th ( Done Zoloft,wellbutrin week project trial to feel better) - OFFICIALLY OFF ANTI DEPRESSANT !Oct 26 - Raised Buspar to 20mg a day- Tolerating wellJan 2nd 2013-

Reduce Buspar until full off march 20th 2015 Off all medication !

Tried natural supplements to no avail

Gluten/sugar free since december 2013

It’s called an opinion, get over yourself (Mod Note:  Please see this post). In relation to not knowing about stuff or educating myself on the subject, I take it you have undertaken ground breaking research on the health benefits of the vegan/vegetarian diet on the human body? 

Did you know for example that the healthiest hearts in the world were found in a carnivorous tribe in Bolivia? 

The strongest man in the world is Brian Shaw if I’m not mistaken, it’s a competition I watch every year at Christmas time. I’m 100 percent certain Brian is a dedicated carnivore...

Edited by ChessieCat
Added Mod Note

May 2007 - October 2007 Citalopram 20 mg od. 1st Antidepressant ever taken. No problem with fast taper and no withdrawal effects. No antidepressants for over 5 years.

23.07.16 40.5mg 23.08.16 36.45mg 27.09.16 34.65mg 24.10.16 32.90mg 28.11.16 31.26mg 04.01.17 32mg 25.02.17 31mg 22.03.17 30mg 14.04.17 29mg 09.05.17 28mg 07.06.17 27mg 08.06.17 26mg 13.07.17 25mg 07.08.17 24mg 24.08.17 23mg 13.09.17 22mg 12.10.17 21mg 10.11.17 20mg 04.12.17 19mg 01.01.18 17mg 25.01.18 15mg 22.02.18 13.5mg 25.03.18 12.15mg 

• Moderator Emeritus
2 hours ago, MrAnxious said:

I will stop you right there.

1 hour ago, Lakelander82 said:

get over yourself.

MrAnxious and Lakelander please be more courteous in the way you post your views.

SA is happy for people to post about what works for them because it may help someone else.  However, SA expects members to treat each other with respect regardless of their difference of opinion.

ADs since ~1992:  25+ years - 1 unknown, Prozac (muscle weakness), Zoloft; citalopram (pooped out) CTed (very sick for 2.5 wks a few months after); Pristiq:  50mg 2012, 100mg beg 2013 (Serotonin Toxicity)  Tapering from Oct 2015 - 13 Nov 2021   LAST DOSE 0.0025mg

Post 0 updates start here    My tapering program     My Intro (goes to tapering graph)

Mod Note:  Please refrain from responding to Lakelander's post and get this thread back on topic.  Please see this post.

With respect Chessie, it wasn’t me who got personal in the first place, but I did respond in kind - I’ll admit that. I get the feeling that the original poster posted with the intention of everybody agreeing with him and corroborating his statements, and got rather arsey when someone had the temerity to disagree with him. It’s a internet forum after all, people have the right to agree and disagree with one another. 

Edited by ChessieCat
Added Mod Note

• Moderator Emeritus

Lakelander, I understand you wanting to justify your comments (I am referring to your last post).  However, I have found that it is generally better, especially when it comes to the internet, to "bite your tongue" and not respond because it is actually a reaction, not a response.  And by making your last post you are inviting the OP to then justify their comments and so the cycle begins.

And we need to remember what SA's goal is:  to inform and support people to get off their psychiatric drugs.

Edited by ChessieCat

Alright, time for me to jump in.

Most people are entirely ignorant of the role food plays in living a full, healthy and happy life. Not to mention the exponential healing the right food can bring about. 

The subject of a plant based lifestyle has been one which has been almost all consuming for me for the past 6 years + of my life. 

Let me tell you now, that a plant based diet, no matter what you have been led to believe by the lies of the media and industries at play - is without doubt one of the greatest ways to heal your body. 

I have done the research, i have looked at it from all angles. 

Now, the problem is that a lot of so called "vegans" or "vegetarians" have done society a huge disfavour by making ignorant claims of all sorts. Also, you only need to look at your average teenage hipster vegan to see how malnourished some of these people can be.

Let me say this. I really believe through the evidence, the science and all that i have seen - that plant based living is the answer BUT and a very big BUT... IT MUST BE DONE THE RIGHT WAY.  Variety is key. Organic, non GMO is also key. Fats, proteins, carbs, sugars - raw, cooked, unprocessed. 

You really need to do your own research if you are to do this right. 

At the end of the day, theres nothing found in animal products, which we can't find in plants. Even B12 - a common myth that it is originates from animals is untrue. B12 comes from the soil. The problem is, our soil is soooo void of life and nutrients now days, that its hard to get adequate amounts in our diet. Supplement vegan B12. Easy solution. 

Meat kills . It kills innocent creatures no less deserving of life than ourselves, it kills the environment and the planet & and it kills us. Same with dairy and eggs and commercial fisheries. 

Once you realise that industry is as much at play with our food, as Big Pharma is with our health - it changes everything. 

Started Citalopram in 2005 (aged 15) for apparent "OCD" - 60mg 

July 2015 attempted 2 x 10% + cuts 4 weeks apart. WD symptoms intense at times. Need to slow down.

November 2016 - Resumed taper. 1.25 - 1.5% decrease weekly approx.

44.5mg November 2016. Jan 2017 42.5 mg. March 2017 40 mg. June 2017 37mg. September 2018 22mg. Nov 2018 Holding at 22mg to stabilise from moderate wave. January 2020 - Holding, mostly feeling fine, but still having some waves at times. 

February 2020 - Resumed taper , 1.5% reduction weekly/every two weeks. 

12 hours ago, nick1990 said:

Alright, time for me to jump in.

Most people are entirely ignorant of the role food plays in living a full, healthy and happy life. Not to mention the exponential healing the right food can bring about. 

The subject of a plant based lifestyle has been one which has been almost all consuming for me for the past 6 years + of my life. 

Let me tell you now, that a plant based diet, no matter what you have been led to believe by the lies of the media and industries at play - is without doubt one of the greatest ways to heal your body. 

I have done the research, i have looked at it from all angles. 

Now, the problem is that a lot of so called "vegans" or "vegetarians" have done society a huge disfavour by making ignorant claims of all sorts. Also, you only need to look at your average teenage hipster vegan to see how malnourished some of these people can be.

Let me say this. I really believe through the evidence, the science and all that i have seen - that plant based living is the answer BUT and a very big BUT... IT MUST BE DONE THE RIGHT WAY.  Variety is key. Organic, non GMO is also key. Fats, proteins, carbs, sugars - raw, cooked, unprocessed. 

You really need to do your own research if you are to do this right. 

At the end of the day, theres nothing found in animal products, which we can't find in plants. Even B12 - a common myth that it is originates from animals is untrue. B12 comes from the soil. The problem is, our soil is soooo void of life and nutrients now days, that its hard to get adequate amounts in our diet. Supplement vegan B12. Easy solution. 

Meat kills . It kills innocent creatures no less deserving of life than ourselves, it kills the environment and the planet & and it kills us. Same with dairy and eggs and commercial fisheries. 

Once you realise that industry is as much at play with our food, as Big Pharma is with our health - it changes everything. 

I accept your point of view Nick. It is your right to promote veganism/vegetarianism as much as it is my right to promote the Paleo lifestyle. I do find however that a lot of the vegan/vegetarian propaganda out there is as much about animal ethics as it is about the health benefits of veganism/vegetarianism. 

It is my opinion that we were born to live of the land as well as the animals on it. When we were hunter gatherers, we survived by spearing the deer or boar on the land and feasting on it. We didn't get through those early days (many of them very cold) by crushing up some dandelion leaves and nettles with water and making it into some sort of smoothie to drink. I therefore believe we have evolved to eat meat. Look at all the top Boxers/MMA stars from Anthony Joshua to Conor Mcgregor to Gennady Golovkin to Floyd Mayweather, the vast majority follow a Paleo diet and they are in top, top shape. The same goes for professional footballers, Rugby players etc, the very epitome of health and fitness.  They follow a diet that gives them ample energy to perform at the top level. Myself, I'm 5ft 10 and around 176lbs. My body fat is around 18 percent (I'd like it a wee bit lower but not too low). I've perfect blood pressure and my cholesterol is bang on as well. I run, swim, bike, do bodyweight exercises and by any measure am in good shape. The meat and two veg diet certainly hasn't done me any harm to date. 

Not withstanding the fact that I disagree with the vegetarian lifestyle, I find it exceptionally boring to exist on fruit and vegetables alone. Don't get me wrong, I love eating vegetables and fruit. I think we should all eat more of them but a diet that exists solely of these ingredients is unnecessarily restrictive not to mention seriously bland and unappetising, no matter how much herbs or seasoning you add to them. Many of the green vegetable smoothies taste like pond water without some sort of fruit to sweeten them up. I therefore follow a varied diet for my sanity as much as my physical health. 

While I would love to be eating a plant-based diet, it's simply not possible at the moment. I still suffer some of the effects from histamine...which I believe is a direct result of 10 years of being on Remeron--a powerful antihistamine. In addition, without eating some animal protein, I have extreme low blood sugar from exercising. Exercise is a very important aspect of my health and I do whatever I can to be healthy. I hope in time, to be able to eat beans, tofu, etc and stop eating meat. Ethically, I don't feel good about consuming animal products.. But I also don't feel it's a good idea to risk at this point, what I've spent a great deal of time and energy building.

The internet is full of people promoting one viewpoint or another. A lot of it is contradictory. I have never found diet to be all that simple. Everyone is different, with different needs. Things change over time too. I find it more useful to respond to what my body is telling me, than to follow someone's idea of what I need.

Remeron for depression. Started at 7.5 mg. in 2005. Gradual increases over 8 years, up to 45 mg. in 2012.Began tapering in June 2013. Went from 45 to 30 mg in the first 3-4 months. Held for a couple of months.Started tapering by 3.75 mg every month or 2, with some longer holding periods. Eventually went down to 3.75 mg. about April 2014. Stopped taking Remeron August 2014. Developed issues with histamine a week after stopping--symptoms reduced through diet and a few supplements. Currently having issues with a few foods. Most of the histamine intolerance has resolved or is at least, in remission.

Current Medications:

Current Supplements: Cannabis (CBD and THC), Vitamin C, D, Quercetin, CoQ10, Tart Cherry, Probiotic, Phytoplankton oil, magnesium, Methyl B. What has helped me most: spending time in nature, qi gong, exercise, healthy diet, meditation, IV vitamins, homeopathy, massage, acupuncture, chiropractic, music, and cuddling my cats..

My introduction: http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/8459-mirtazapine-withdrawal-freespirit/#entry144282

Please note: I am not a therapist or medical practitioner. Any suggestions offered come solely from my personal experience in recovering from childhood trauma, therapy, and AD use. Please seek appropriate care for yourself.

“After a cruel childhood, one must reinvent oneself. Then re-imagine the world.”
Mary Oliver

I have to say a few points.

1) 'What the health' has done a great disservice to the Vegan/Veggie community. It was debunked by so many on the internet, and was deemed quite the parody due to the ridiculous and unscientific claims that was made. 

2) No one human is different. For example, we all suffer entirely different symptoms, even though we've all been subjected to antidepressants. This is true for diet too. However, I'm in general agreement that we are omnivorous. Our teeth and history as hunter gathers show that we are definitely not meant to exclude meat. 

3) The strongest people in the world are not vegans. 

4) There are people on ketogenic diet that have reversed many of the ailments you claim being vegan/veggie do. Diabetes, cardiovascular disease, MS, Migraines, Epilepsy,    Ulcerative Colitis, Brain Cancer particularly and other cancers in general, complete turn around in their blood profiles to remarkable levels. 

5) "Meat kills animals, and it kills us". You speak as if we'll be immortal if we convert to being meat free. We are ALL going to die at some point and eating meat will not change a thing about that. 

We can all agree... eating clean as possible meat free or not, is beneficial to us. 

On ‎19‎/‎10‎/‎2017 at 8:29 PM, MrAnxious said:

Everyone that has followed my case, knows how much I have struggled over the past 5 years. Withdrawal has greatly improved, but I am left with an adequate memory impairment and some brain fog and anxiety and minor depression and probably some derealization etc. 

Well one month ago I was talking to some nutritionalists and dieticians and I watched "what the health" and this decision came to me like the perfect storm, kinda like when withdrawal hit.

I went plant based one month ago and have already felt more energy, a touch of clarity and anxiety has gone down too. I just started ! Eating this way will detox the body, brain and soul. Cutting out meat and dairy , cut out so many toxins and chemicals that our bodies cannot process. When you go plant based, you eat lots of fruits, and a lot of veggies , and you get to create so many yummy meals. 

Facebook and the net have tons of groups and recipes to get started. If you can go "Raw Vegan" it really opens up the detox ports. You will really heal a lot of disease and disorders. The research speaks for itself. 

When you eat clean, you thrive. This may just help out on your withdrawal journey. 

Pm if you need any help~ everyone here was great and helpful in my recovery.

Cheers

Hi MA .I'm a couple of days into this diet/lifestyle ,my partner is a vegan the last 2 years and I always ate some of her meals but I always gravitated back to my meat ,I'm  fairly healthy always cook from scratch but ive had a slow transition with getting fed up with eating meat ,I remember one day eating meat and there was zero flavour off it and the meals I would eat with her were full of flavour ,I ate in a vegan restaurant a few months ago and OMG the flavour was amazing .

She did bring a vegan desert home from a fair one day and I ate it and it was full of sugary icing [vegan junk food ].ok the person that made that mite have there ethics in the correct vain but sugar is junk no matter were it is .

Friday was a terrible day for me ,I'm being ripped apart because of withdrawl and its touch and go with my partner ,it turns out me being honest hasn't helped me .all it does is scare the life out of people and in turn they freak out and might  never see ye in the same light ever again .

I seen your post on  Friday and the coincidence of what you wrote about and the terrifying reality  of what's happened to me  [I could literally be homeless ]shook me to the core .

everyone on the planet has an agenda ,the meat industry will pay for a favourable study for them ,egg ,fish ,pharmaceutical and so on  ,you see my point .we can only do what's right for us .

This is the  main reason we are all on this site ,the sheer pain and torture we endure because of these meds that in decades will be proven to be a disgrace .

keep in touch with your progress ,I've been following this guy all weekend .

Take care 

PB

Alcohol free since February 2015 

1MG diazepam

4.5MG PROZAC.

• Administrator

Love your video, powerback!

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

I felt like death and so did my husband on vegan and plant based diets. We both tried for many years, and even had a plant based Dr helping us along the way. I truly believe different diets work for different people! I do best with a whole foods diet, gluten/dairy free and minimal processed foods. 

Current age - 29

At Ages 16- 20 Celexa 40 mg 

2014- September through February of 2016 ( 18 months) Celexa 20 mg

Tapered for Several months

Celexa free since February of 2016

8 hours ago, Kalinia said:

I felt like death and so did my husband on vegan and plant based diets. We both tried for many years, and even had a plant based Dr helping us along the way. I truly believe different diets work for different people! I do best with a whole foods diet, gluten/dairy free and minimal processed foods. 

ye exactly kalinia ,the main thing is  we make sure we are  getting the dense nutrients our body needs ,for months I was eating good quality meats and eggs .eating healthy for our well being takes a lot of learning to do write and it will be the best learning anyone can do .the biggest culprit is sugar .

the thing I love about plant based/ wholefoods is ,there's only one or two sections in the supermarket you need to go to or farmers market of course .

I'm not judging your doctor but there's a running theme with all of them can we ever trust them again in any form they come ,don't get me wrong there's loads I follow but we need to pay attention to our own bodies rather than getting the opinion and running with it totally .

Respect 

PB

1MG diazepam

4.5MG PROZAC.

hi I thought this be the best place for this video ,mods welcome to move it if need be .

I'm not promoting this way of eating I was a meat eater myself until last week but I'm cleaning up my diet in the hopes of getting through withdrawal and recovery ,

I found it a good video on helping understand the nutritional and science of the diet .

PB

1MG diazepam

4.5MG PROZAC.

def this is an individual thing. I myself saw lots of improvements eating a low sugar, low-moderate carb, primal type diet. I followed a Dr Wahls type protocol with lots of veggies, fruits, nuts, seeds and high quality meats. I felt my best eating wild fish, veggies, and fruit. There was a point where i went almost exclusively vegan (more so as an experiment) and I did not like how i felt. With added wild fish or slow stewed meats, i felt much better. 

I currently work within the fitness industry and i will tell you that people have all sorts of weird, dogmatic beliefs when it comes to diet. I generally encourage people to eat like their ancestors (i.e. eat clean, high quality foods that you make yourself) did and stay away from all the processed foods, sugars, over-consumption of grains, etc and this usually works fine for clients.

Iv come across quite a few vegetarians (havent worked with a 100% vegan yet) who were very unhealthy and when we added wild fish and bone broths, that helped a lot (among other things). Again, this is all very individual and if you feel you best eating a certain way, by all means go for it. I can tell you right now that I also ate tons of liver, even raw liver, and felt amazing from that too! 

I have said it before that diet was probably the most important aspect of becoming functional again---time right up there with diet/nutrition too. So I always encourage people to start with a simple, clean way of eating and then go from there. If you get too caught up in the dogmatic beliefs, myths, etc this will just become a stressor for you. Dont stress about eating a certain way. keep it simple, nourish your body, and let time do its work. 

Various SSRIs/SNRIs 7- 1/2 years

Went Cold Turkey from Celexa 2011, Stayed Off

Psych Drug Free and Loving Life (over 6 years and counting)

How I Stay Well: Diet, exercise, meditation, supplements, etc

My cousin once asked me, if all the vegan propaganda is true would it be worth eating rabbit food the rest of your life to expand your life by 3 or 4 years? I replied by saying you’ve answered your own question. 

On 10/26/2017 at 3:54 PM, bruno2016 said:

def this is an individual thing. I myself saw lots of improvements eating a low sugar, low-moderate carb, primal type diet. I followed a Dr Wahls type protocol with lots of veggies, fruits, nuts, seeds and high quality meats. I felt my best eating wild fish, veggies, and fruit. There was a point where i went almost exclusively vegan (more so as an experiment) and I did not like how i felt. With added wild fish or slow stewed meats, i felt much better. 

I currently work within the fitness industry and i will tell you that people have all sorts of weird, dogmatic beliefs when it comes to diet. I generally encourage people to eat like their ancestors (i.e. eat clean, high quality foods that you make yourself) did and stay away from all the processed foods, sugars, over-consumption of grains, etc and this usually works fine for clients.

Iv come across quite a few vegetarians (havent worked with a 100% vegan yet) who were very unhealthy and when we added wild fish and bone broths, that helped a lot (among other things). Again, this is all very individual and if you feel you best eating a certain way, by all means go for it. I can tell you right now that I also ate tons of liver, even raw liver, and felt amazing from that too! 

I have said it before that diet was probably the most important aspect of becoming functional again---time right up there with diet/nutrition too. So I always encourage people to start with a simple, clean way of eating and then go from there. If you get too caught up in the dogmatic beliefs, myths, etc this will just become a stressor for you. Dont stress about eating a certain way. keep it simple, nourish your body, and let time do its work. 

How long are you committed to the Wahls protocol?  I’ve seen her ted talk thought this would be something that would truly make a difference in my health.  Clean eating, exercise, meditation, and yoga are all we need insure the best results.

Short Term Case: 7 pill of 10 mg of Modafinil in a 3 month span, but last 3 I took back to back causing severe withdrawals, lasting 3 weeks. Than 2 pills lexapro to help withdrawal lead to more withdrawal.  I have most symptoms Pssd, emotional loss, cognitive issues, nerve damage in legs.  Also 2 benzodiazepines.  Not much to damage me long term...

1 hour ago, Webhead21 said:

How long are you committed to the Wahls protocol?  I’ve seen her ted talk thought this would be something that would truly make a difference in my health.  Clean eating, exercise, meditation, and yoga are all we need insure the best results.

well i started a paleo diet towards the end of the first year or so. It really helped me stabilize some of my symptoms. I then began refining, exploring, and experimenting since I was suffering for the first couple years. I stumbled upon things like GAPS, veganism, Wahls, keto, etc. GAPS made a lot of sense to me--start with improving and healing the digestive system. AD drugs DO affect the digestive system and so thats where i started. I think I did GAPS for about 7-9 months and all in all think it really did help me. 

I stayed eating a gaps/paleo type diet and about two years ago i bought the Wahls book. That too made lots of sense to me. I stuck to that for a few months then began loosening up and consuming things like goat kefir and a few other things like white rice. You are required to eat lots of plant foods and I did have trouble with that for a while because of my busy schedule. Also, my body doesnt seem to like too many hard core greens (perhaps because the oxalates) so I was trying to get lots of the required greens from non oxalate plant foods like mustard greens and bok chuy, for example. Also, I do not do well with spirulina and algaes in general so took those out. 

Anyways, I would say I am a mix of GAPS, Wahls, and paleo auto-immune. I really feel the homemade goat kefir keeps my belly in great shape. I also continue to try and eat plant foods with each meal, especially the dark colored(beets, berries, etc) ones that wahls talks about.

Various SSRIs/SNRIs 7- 1/2 years

Went Cold Turkey from Celexa 2011, Stayed Off

Psych Drug Free and Loving Life (over 6 years and counting)

How I Stay Well: Diet, exercise, meditation, supplements, etc

Yes!  My daughter has been vegan for some time, and has been trying for months to get me on board.  She also is a naturalist, and we;ve discussed my dependence on antidepressants too.  I watched "What the Health" and some other food documentaries too.  

I have been vegan now for 2 months.  I saw it as a first step to my pre-taper.  The thing I've noticed most is I have no headaches.  I've had a headache every day of my life for at least 10 years.  They are completely gone.  I;ve not lost any weight, but I do have more energy.  My cravings for salt and sugar are gone.  And I enjoy cooking so much now..getting creative with spices, especially Indian food.

I'm hoping this change will make it easier when I start my taper.  Glad to see your post!

Prestiq 50 mg, Seroquel 300mg since 2000.  Haven't started tapering yet

• 7 months later...
  • Moderator Emeritus
On 5/16/2017 at 7:15 AM, Shep said:

Yes, I was a vegetarian prior to withdrawal and then had to switch to eating meat. I had been a vegetarian since I as 15, so that was 32 years of not eating meat. 

I stopped being able to use supplements in 2014 due to GI issues from withdrawal. But I stuck with the vegetarian diet, even though I ended up having to go to a very limited diet. Basically, I was suffering from malnutrition at that point, I'm sure. 

In 2015, because of the recommendation on this site for taking fish oil, I began eating fish. This helped with fatigue and cognitive skills. And then I added in chicken and later, bone broth. The chicken helped with the additional protein and the bone broth has glycine in it which helps with sleep. 

For any vegetarian members who are unable to use supplements and / or have to go on an elimination diet, I would recommend at least adding in fish several times a week. 

I know there are many moral, religious, and climate change related reasons for being a vegetarian, but for the sake of my own health, I felt it was the best thing I could do. 

I'm also very mindful of the fact that while I was a vegetarian, I was consuming lots of psychiatric drugs which had all been tested on animals. Now that I'm off the drugs, I take solace in the fact that I'm not contributing to that sort of mistreatment of animals. 

I hope to return to the vegetarian diet at some point and even though I was devastated on many levels for eating meat after so many decades as a vegetarian, I feel it was the right thing to do. 

Please note when transitioning from a vegetarian diet to a meat diet, it's best to do so very gradually and give yourself time to adjust, adding in one item at a time and at a very small amount. 

I'm going to update my post from last year, as I've added in red meat a couple of months ago and I'm seeing progress in healing. My sleep is deeper and more restorative and I'm sleeping longer (5 - 7 hours every night). My energy levels are higher and although I still suffer with fatigue during waves, my partial windows are getting better and better. I do think for now, eating red meat is helpful for my recovery. 

This is something that Dr. Brogan wrote that helped guide me in my decision:

Red Meat for Your Depression

I looked into the links listed for more research and really spent a lot of time and thought on this. I hadn't eaten red meat for over 35 years, so it wasn't something I lightly took on. Also, I added in red meat very slowly to give my digestive system time to adjust. 

It's individual and what works for me may not for others, but thought I'd mention it because the results have been good. I've suffered from hypoglycemia (low blood sugar) since I was in grade school, so having pre-existing blood sugar issues no doubt are in play. Red meat is good for reducing blood sugar fluctuations, so part of the benefits I'm seeing may be for that, as well as for general withdrawal issues, since many people report blood sugar fluctuations during withdrawal when they've never had problems with this before. 

I hope to be able to return to the vegetarian diet at some point, but I want to heal from withdrawal first. 

For those who are concerned about the humane treatment of animals, this is a great website for finding local humane, farm-raised meats and dairy products. It's mainly for the US, but there is a separate "International" link and a "Canada" link listed on this page, as well.

Eatwild.com - Directory

Once you click on your state, each state page has its own "Beyond the Farm" link to local farmers markets, grocery stores, and restaurants that sell grassfed products - the "Beyond the Farm" link is located in the upper right hand corner of each state page.

I've found a farmers' market near me that sells humanely raised meats and dairy products. So there are humane options out there. 

Edited by Shep
updated broken link

• ChessieCat changed the title to A vegetarian diet during withdrawal
  • 5 months later...

I’m just now realizing that my issues with Prozac withdrawal could have a whole hell of a lot to do with my not liking/eating meat most of my life. I’ve opted for carbs/veggies/fruit my ENTIRE life. Our ancestors ate nose to tail animals to get the proper nutrients. Especially IN withdrawal i was going low in Sodium, Zinc, Potassium, Iron, Calcium, God knows what else. But these have been being depleted probably my whole life, esp with the drugs and i used to drink in order to calm my anxiety - what a MESS! 

Anyhow ive just ordered these WHOLE FOOD supplements - probably the best way to supplement anyhow and I’m so excited. This company AND the products have absolutely RAVE/STELLAR reviews. Just thought I’d share! 

I ordered the “Beef Organs” to start but then will order “Bone Marrow” and “Thymus” too!!! 

https://ancestralsupplements.com/

i don’t really want backlash on this, I’m just sharing in case anyone’s interested. I’m not selling anything or affiliated in any way, just sharing in case anyone else has suffered due to a vegetarian/processed food diet! ❤️

Rachel - 1998-2012 Prozac 20mg

2012-2014 Prozac 40mg

Sept 17 Remeron 15mg, March ‘18 7.5mg

Jan 31 - Feb 13 1/4 - 1mg Ativan

Jan 31 - feb 5 - 2mg Prozac, 4mg feb 7

feb 10 - 10mg rem, Feb 27 - 7.5mg rem

Feb 27 - March 6th - 5mg Baclofen 

March 12th - Keppra 250mg

March 24 - 30mg phenobarbital 

• Moderator Emeritus

I eat a lot of red meat and feel it is very helpful in my healing.  Luckily, beef in Ecuador is grass-fed.  I used to be vegetarian but meat is what my body craves and I listen to it.  I know this is a contentious subject and I am just speaking for myself.  The Kelly Brogan link in Shep's post makes a lot of sense to me.

Gridley Introduction

Lexapro 20 mg since 2004.  Begin Brassmonkey Slide Taper Jan. 2017.   

End 2017 year 1 of taper at 9.25mg 

End 2018 year 2 of taper at 4.1mg

End 2019 year 3 of taper at 1.0mg  

Oct. 30, 2020  Jump to zero from 0.025mg.  Current dose: 0.000mg

3 year, 10 month taper is 100% complete.

Ativan 1 mg to 1.875mg 1986-2020, two CT's and reinstatements

Nov. 2020, 7-week Ativan-Valium crossover to 18.75mg Valium

Feb. 2021, begin 10%/4 week taper of 18.75mg Valium 

End 2021  year 1 of Valium taper at 6mg

End 2022 year 2 of Valium taper at 2.75mg 

End 2023 year 3 of Valium taper at 1mg

Jan. 24, 2024: Hold at 1mg and shift to Imipramine taper.

Taper is 95% complete.

Imipramine 75 mg daily since 1986.  Jan.-Sept. 2016 tapered to 14.4mg  

March 22, 2022: Begin 10%/4 week taper

Aug. 5, 2022: hold at 9.5mg and shift to Valium taper

Jan. 24, 2024: Resume Imipramine taper.  Current dose as of Feb. 22: 7.6mg

Taper is 90% complete.  

Supplements: multiple, quercetin, omega-3, vitamins C, E and D3, magnesium glycinate, probiotics, zinc, melatonin .3mg, anti-candida, iron, serrapeptase, nattokinase

I am not a medical professional and this is not medical advice but simply information based on my own experience, as well as other members who have survived these drugs.

4 hours ago, Gridley said:

I eat a lot of red meat and feel it is very helpful in my healing.  Luckily, beef in Ecuador is grass-fed.  I used to be vegetarian but meat is what my body craves and I listen to it.  I know this is a contentious subject and I am just speaking for myself.  The Kelly Brogan link in Shep's post makes a lot of sense to me.

Beef here is good quality as well. I have read enough about vegetarian diets and depression that I'm not prepared to try it - too risky. There was a study a while back - I think I posted it in the journals but if not I'll try to find it again.

There is a doctor somewhere online who goes as far as to say humans are obligate carnivores, as we have absolute dietary needs for some nutrients (B12?) that are essentially only available from animal foods. It was an interesting thought! When I ate the recommended amount of meat, I became iron deficient (measured by a blood test - not a good idea to guess about iron as too much iron is toxic) and supplements were horrible. :) I now eat roughly double the recommended amount of meat and my iron is fine. I wouldn't make a very healthy vegetarian! That's variable from person to person though. A lot of our dietary recommendations seem to be much less evidence-based than we might like, sadly.

2005 St John's Wort / 2006-2012 Lexapro 20mg, 2 failed attempts to stop, tapered over 4.5 months in early 2012

January 2013 started Sertraline, over time worked up to 100mg

July 2014 Sertraline dropped from 100mg to 75mg, held for six months, slower tapering until 2019 22 Dec 3.2mg

2020 Sertraline 19 Jan 3.1mg, 26 Jan 3.0mg; 1 Mar 2.9, 7 Mar 2.8, May (some drops here) 24 May 2.5, May 29 2.4, June 21 2.3, June 28 2.2mg,  July 4 2.1mg, July 24 (or maybe a bit before) 2mg, early Nov switched to home made suspension; 29 Nov 1.8mg; approx 25 Dec 1.6mg)

2021 Some time in about Jan/Feb realised probably on more like 1.8mg and poss mixing error in making suspension; doses after 10 Feb accurate; 10 Feb 1.6mg; 7 Mar 1.4, continued monthly

10% drops until 1mg, then dropped 0.1mg monthly.

May 2022,0.1mg, now dropping 0.01mg per week

29 August 2022 - first day of zero!

My thread here at SA: https://www.survivingantidepressants.org/topic/1775-bubbles/page/21/

Current: Armour Thyroid

I don't tend to like eating meat much but do have free range eggs, and omega 3 fish oil in capsules.

Fluoxetine 20mg a day, (mornings) Amitryptilline 10-50mg (evenings) for last two years (usually lowest dose of the latter) Previously on and off Fluoxetine since 1999. Off completely for pregnancies in 200s with no problems but recently more difficult to withdraw.End 2018 Tapered to 10mg Fluoxetine (am) and 10mg Amitryptilline (evening)Co-codomol 30/500 prescribed (one to two tabs 6 hrly as required for pain)

Start Jan 2019 5mg Fluoxetine mornings. Stopped amitryptilline.

6th Feb 2019 Stopped Fluoxetine, 2 X 425mg St Johns Wort daily. 

9th Feb 2019 Reinstated 5mg Prozac, stopped SJW due to headaches and upset tummy.

10th Feb 2019 Started using liquid diluted Prozac and syringe, dividing doses (2 X 2.5ml) = 5mg daily

12th Feb 2019 Stopped prozac after even small doses seem to be causing a bad reaction.

17th Feb 2019 Started taking single dose 425mg SJW mornings 

Also taking supplements: Multivitamin, Longvida Curcumin 500mg a day, Magnesium Citrate 500mg/day, Magnesium L-threonate 50mg/day, Omega 3 (with Vit E) 1000mg/day, Vitamin D3 20000IU

• 2 weeks later...

I wanted to chime in here... I haven’t eaten meat since 1997 and don’t plan on starting ever again.

I’m roughly eight months into a taper from fluoxetine (Prozac). I’ve not experienced the full-blown severity of symptoms that I’ve read some of you have experienced, but it’s definitely been a struggle. Personally, I don’t attribute any of my low points to the lack of meat in my diet. 

Everyone’s different though... Just wanted to play devils advocate!

Trying to taper from fluoxetine. 

Taking 60 mg between 2002 and 01 April, 2018.

Dropped to 50 mg between 01 April and 07 April 2018

Dropped to 40 mg between 07 April and 01 July 2018

Dropped to 36 mg on 01 July, 2018

Dropped to 33 mg on 15 September 2018

Dropped to 30 mg on 15 October 2018

Dropped to 27 mg on 15 November 2018

Dropped to 25 mg on 15 December 2018

Dropped to 20 mg on 15 January 2019

Dropped to 18 mg on 01 July 2019

Dropped to 17 mg on 01 August 2019

• Altostrata changed the title to Plant based lifestyle, vegetarian, vegan

Important Information