Jump to content
RealMe

Why does the medical community keep saying, "Depression is a highly treatable illness?"

Recommended Posts

RealMe

I am finding it more and more aggravating every time I read the words, "Depression is a highly treatable illness."  It's simplistic and misleading.  Professionals hardly spend time with the patients who supposedly have this so-called "highly treatable illness."  Anyway, it's not just one illness; it's a lot more complicated than that.  This comment convinces people that they are not entering very dangerous territory when they agree to the designation of "depressed patient."  I guess I'm just looking back to when this all started for me and the fact that I wasn't presented with alternatives to mood and brain altering chemicals.  I took the rose-covered path, and now I am paying a high price.  I don't feel angry at the people who tried to help me and believed in what they were doing, but I do feel angry--just trying not to turn it inward and trying to look forward to a better future.

Share this post


Link to post
powerback

Hi RealMe ,oh don't get me started with the lies and ignorance from the medical profession ,don't loose hope there is a serious shift in change coming and happening already .take your attention away from popular media ,all this is ,is an advertising platform for big pharma and big business .there's loads of research on this site to help you .

 

its disgusting what's going ,as soon as someone  starts thinking for themselves and stops towing the party line they are labelled a non conformist[there could even be a behaviour outlined for this in the DSM ] "opposition deficience disorder "it is . this is hilarious to me .

.I'm an example of turning my back on doctors ,a year ago the only answers my doctor had for my withdrawl  torture was Zyprexa and hospital ,I'm still struggling with withdrawl but I made it through that time  but it comes with serious responsibility turning our backs on MDs ,we got to learn nutrition and all the new ways to cope with life .[I'm giving my example I by no means dictate for others to follow it blindly ]

 

Don't turn your anger inward .this will just rip you apart ,it did me more than a year ago . you need to get and learn serious compassion for yourself because if we don't we mite never get away from the revolving door of prescriptions .only yesterday I was watching a documentary about the medical industry and illness ,a huge percentage of what doctors give meds for is treatable by diet and lifestyle and its up to us to learn it and its totally doable ,there's loads on YouTube about nutrition and the body .the side affects from all meds are much higher than anyone will admit .Ide say 80% of my visits to the doctor over the years were to do with withdrawl and side affects .we wouldn't put up with service in any other form of life or industry .

we need to look past the nice polite  people that are telling us this propaganda .

 

In my opinion its not enough anymore to be listening to doctors that don't  recognise withdrawl or don't believe in it and hanging on there every word ,there's too many people affected by withdrawl .don't get me wrong I know we cant turn our backs on them because of the prescription needd but the power they hold over people is disgusting and it breaks my heart to see so many people terrified of there doctors opinion and judgement .

 

I pray and hope we all recover but we have to exhaust all avenues and change everything in our life with in reason of course .

I'm starting a plant based whole foods diet myself .

kudos on the long sobriety ,I'm 2.9 years sober myself .

Take care .

PB

 

Edited by ChessieCat
removed unnecessary quote/changed member name

Share this post


Link to post
Downbutnotout

Yeah , it's so corrupt. It's disgusting. 

Share this post


Link to post
MaryDavid

Hi there Power back I'm 2.7years post antidepressants and still having extreme episodes of obsessive thoughts. When did yours end? Thank you in advance.

Share this post


Link to post
Rob66

I agree with everything said here.  I turned my back on the medical community over a year ago.  For me it was almost like the movie "The Matrix".  My eyes were opened to the truth and realities of Big Pharma, our government, our doctors, etc.  I went through a stage of grief and great anger.  I felt like I was let down, backstabbed and completely fooled by the "medical professionals"  I put my trust in.  I've finally came to accept that it is what it is and moved on.  We all have to deal with the medical community in one way or the other.  I just do it smarter now.

Share this post


Link to post
Mort81

Just avoid them like the plague,  and mainstream news in relation to health.  All of it is rubbish pushed by industry agenda.  Anything any well know organization suggests I do the opposite.  Heard a mainstream stream article by the American heart association that coconut oil is bad etc.. And to use healthy oils like vegetable and Canola.  Well I made sure to buy extra cocunut oil and use tons of it . Anything that's "doctor reccomended " Is probably the worst quality anything you could ever buy.   

 

Just think they say acid reflux is a disease , They make people think they can't fix their problems and need to rely on there bullsh*t drugs.  Everything to them is an illness or disease. Too bad all of us had to figure it out the hard way that its all BS 

Share this post


Link to post
Martina23
4 hours ago, Mort81 said:

Just avoid them like the plague,  and mainstream news in relation to health.  All of it is rubbish pushed by industry agenda.  Anything any well know organization suggests I do the opposite.  Heard a mainstream stream article by the American heart association that coconut oil is bad etc.. And to use healthy oils like vegetable and Canola.  Well I made sure to buy extra cocunut oil and use tons of it . Anything that's "doctor reccomended " Is probably the worst quality anything you could ever buy.   

 

Just think they say acid reflux is a disease , They make people think they can't fix their problems and need to rely on there bullsh*t drugs.  Everything to them is an illness or disease. Too bad all of us had to figure it out the hard way that its all BS 

I dont know about coconut oil, but coconuts are very healthy. When I was pregnant, the only thing which changed was I was so hot on coconuts, this was the only food I could eat always. Coconut milk. And then I read somewhere that in Filipines if the women dont have enough milk, they give children coconut milk. That it is extreme ly healthy.

Share this post


Link to post
Mort81

Yes coconut oil is one of the healthiest Things you can consume. And vegetable oils are one of the worst . This is just an example of how the big medical industry spreads faulty news for people to take on habits that will surely end up in using their drugs. 

Share this post


Link to post
powerback
On ‎24‎/‎10‎/‎2017 at 10:20 PM, MaryDavid said:

Hi there Power back I'm 2.7years post antidepressants and still having extreme episodes of obsessive thoughts. When did yours end? Thank you in advance.

HI MD ,I'm still tapering my drug ,I'm having an awful time trying to get off it so my obsessive thoughts are long from being over ,the best thing to do is not listen to them and don't worry about them and try to keep very busy and I practice mindfulness ,this helps a lot .

Take care 

PB

Share this post


Link to post
Jewlz

I was thinking to myself earlier today about my psych doctor and how they can look in the mirror at themselves every day knowing the drugs they prescribe are life-altering and for some, life-damaging. 

Share this post


Link to post
powerback

HI jewlz,blind ignorance helps them a lot and aragance ,we are on the cusp of change but it will take many years ,im thinking of a better situation for my little nieces generation ,you should listen to peter breggins podcast ,he has guests on that are dedicated to change,also a member james moore has a podcast on madinamerica witch has the same theme ,I follow them everyweek.

PB

Share this post


Link to post
Sosick

A week ago I ended up in the ER after two months being off of Luvox by following my psychiatrists advice. I was having all the classic withdrawl symptoms but also had an extreme IBS flare up due to lifting the Luvox. I was white as a sheet, my heart was irregular and I felt like I was going to pass out. I also felt like someone had kicked me in the back. The ER Dr ran all the usual tests and of course they all came back fine. I have no faith in these doctors. First of all even the psychiatrists don't seem to know how to taper these antidepressants. Then when you run into trouble the ER doctors don't recognize withdrawls as they feel you should be through them in three weeks after stopping the med. I was told to seek alternative medicing, to look into medicinal marauana (sorry spelled that wrong). I was told there was nothing medically wrong with me and to basically go home as he had more important issues to deal with. These doctors really need to get more informed. Thankfully this site exists. I was so sick when I found this site thus my name. I have little to no faith left in doctors. 

Share this post


Link to post
powerback
3 hours ago, Sosick said:

A week ago I ended up in the ER after two months being off of Luvox by following my psychiatrists advice. I was having all the classic withdrawl symptoms but also had an extreme IBS flare up due to lifting the Luvox. I was white as a sheet, my heart was irregular and I felt like I was going to pass out. I also felt like someone had kicked me in the back. The ER Dr ran all the usual tests and of course they all came back fine. I have no faith in these doctors. First of all even the psychiatrists don't seem to know how to taper these antidepressants. Then when you run into trouble the ER doctors don't recognize withdrawls as they feel you should be through them in three weeks after stopping the med. I was told to seek alternative medicing, to look into medicinal marauana (sorry spelled that wrong). I was told there was nothing medically wrong with me and to basically go home as he had more important issues to deal with. These doctors really need to get more informed. Thankfully this site exists. I was so sick when I found this site thus my name. I have little to no faith left in doctors. 

Hi Sosick  welcome ,do yourself the biggest favour and be way ahead of these doctors and learn as much as you possibly can about your own situation and your body ,I now never go near my doctor hence my screen name ,but its not that simple ,since I gave up ever going near these people again I have been on a quest to understand the human body and nutrition ,ive a long way to go on spiritually but I am passionate about learning about the mind and body ,I personally believe this needs to be  learned to get away from the clutches of doctors .

the mods will guide your greatly but I will say be care with medical marijuana  with these other drugs in your system ,you cant predict the outcome ,theres been some members that an adverse reaction to cannabis oil .

Take care .

PB

Share this post


Link to post
RealMe

It bothers me when I read that depression is a disease or illness that can be diagnosed by answering a few questions about feelings and behavior and furthermore that said disease can be treated with medication, adding anti-psychotics as augmentation in "resistant" cases.  Depression is not a disease; it is a symptom or body of symptoms with innumerable causes.  Discovering and treating the causes should be the priority, but doctors can't do that in ten minutes with a patient.

Share this post


Link to post

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.